Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5459483 times)

marty998

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17850 on: June 13, 2017, 05:29:16 AM »
My son calls the other day. He runs several divisions of an oil services and heavy construction company. He tells me he had spent the last week with five smartphones in various pockets, trying to fill in for missing staff.  He was missing a total of four key people due to medical events. Two phones were from the two brothers that own the place, who's elderly parents were dealing with big health issues. One department head was gone getting knees replaced, another left with chest pains. I asked about this guy? Son reports that chest pain guy is 38 YO, smokes a pack and a half+  and drinks a CASE of Mountain Dew A DAY!  I said, "Holy shit, that's not  good, you probably want to keep an eye out for his replacement, sounds like he is working hard on taking a dirt nap". He then tells me that just the soda alone works out to 2.4 pounds of sugar a day.

OMG, I have never heard of anyone drinking that much soda in one day, plus the guy smokes?  I'll actually never understand how people knowingly can put there body through that kind of abuse.

It might not be as unusual as it sounds. maybe not as extreme as 288 OZ. a day, but no too far off.

We spend our winters in rural Florida, north of Tampa. It's usually pretty mild at that time of year,  60s and 70s during the day, occasionally in the  80s. The one constant of the area is that you can't swing a cat by it's tail and not hit a convenience store.  Most of them have huge, high volume fountain soda operations. Usually at something like $0.89 for any size cup. It's nothing to be in a store like that and see a line of people waiting to fill their 44 OZ. cups.  I'm sure that many of their clients stop buy a few times a day to "grab a soda" and end up drinking the equivalent of half a case of soda, or more, especially the 7-8 months a year in that area when it's hotter than the balls on a spit roasting pig, and too humid for human occupation, LOL. (I guess you can tell I'm a candy-assed yankee)

I had to convert 44oz.

It's 1301ml!

The most common family-size soft drink bottle in Australia (1.25L) is smaller than that. ಠ_ಠ

One day someone is going to take legal action against the big soft drink companies, in the same manner as Big Tobacco.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Are Coke and Pepsi still claiming sugar isn't addictive?

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #17851 on: June 13, 2017, 06:35:02 AM »
My son calls the other day. He runs several divisions of an oil services and heavy construction company. He tells me he had spent the last week with five smartphones in various pockets, trying to fill in for missing staff.  He was missing a total of four key people due to medical events. Two phones were from the two brothers that own the place, who's elderly parents were dealing with big health issues. One department head was gone getting knees replaced, another left with chest pains. I asked about this guy? Son reports that chest pain guy is 38 YO, smokes a pack and a half+  and drinks a CASE of Mountain Dew A DAY!  I said, "Holy shit, that's not  good, you probably want to keep an eye out for his replacement, sounds like he is working hard on taking a dirt nap". He then tells me that just the soda alone works out to 2.4 pounds of sugar a day.

OMG, I have never heard of anyone drinking that much soda in one day, plus the guy smokes?  I'll actually never understand how people knowingly can put there body through that kind of abuse.

It might not be as unusual as it sounds. maybe not as extreme as 288 OZ. a day, but no too far off.

We spend our winters in rural Florida, north of Tampa. It's usually pretty mild at that time of year,  60s and 70s during the day, occasionally in the  80s. The one constant of the area is that you can't swing a cat by it's tail and not hit a convenience store.  Most of them have huge, high volume fountain soda operations. Usually at something like $0.89 for any size cup. It's nothing to be in a store like that and see a line of people waiting to fill their 44 OZ. cups.  I'm sure that many of their clients stop buy a few times a day to "grab a soda" and end up drinking the equivalent of half a case of soda, or more, especially the 7-8 months a year in that area when it's hotter than the balls on a spit roasting pig, and too humid for human occupation, LOL. (I guess you can tell I'm a candy-assed yankee)

I had to convert 44oz.

It's 1301ml!

The most common family-size soft drink bottle in Australia (1.25L) is smaller than that. ಠ_ಠ

One day someone is going to take legal action against the big soft drink companies, in the same manner as Big Tobacco.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Are Coke and Pepsi still claiming sugar isn't addictive?
Not going to happen:
1. BigSoda can lobby pretty darn good.
2. BigSoda has bought a lot of water bottling companies and is in phase 3 of morphing into BigWater (if it isn't already there).
3. BigSoda owns snack food companies so they can make 'healthy' snacks. Don't step on Snak.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17852 on: June 13, 2017, 08:05:07 AM »

I had to convert 44oz.

It's 1301ml!

You can consume a "healthy" amount of soda, just like you can consume a healthy amount of candy, pizza, etc etc.  There isn't really a "healthy" amount of tobacco.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17853 on: June 13, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »

I had to convert 44oz.

It's 1301ml!

You can consume a "healthy" amount of soda, just like you can consume a healthy amount of candy, pizza, etc etc.  There isn't really a "healthy" amount of tobacco.

Haven't studied Big Tobacco in detail but didn't they get into trouble for

a. Saying tobacco/nicotine is NOT addictive
b. Trying to hide the links between it and cancer

Whereas soda companies have instead talking about moderation, lifestyle, and enjoyment. It's one thing to have a certain amount of vice in your life so long as it is reasonable. That's the reason why alcohol advertisements make a good point about highlighting designated drivers.

cheapass

• Bristles
« Reply #17854 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »

Gotta have the nanny state protecting us from ourselves, rather than taking personal responsibility for our own choices.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17855 on: June 13, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »

Gotta have the nanny state protecting us from ourselves, rather than taking personal responsibility for our own choices.

O look another person throwing out terms like "nanny state" instead of deciding to have a more meaningful discussion. This is just what I LOVE about the internet. /s

dividendman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17856 on: June 13, 2017, 09:32:55 AM »

O look another person throwing out terms like "nanny state" instead of deciding to have a more meaningful discussion. This is just what I LOVE about the internet. /s

What's wrong with that term? You're saying people are incapable of making the decision on their own so they need a "nanny" to keep bad things away from them.

I think the comparison between Big tobacco isn't fair.

Note that Big tobacco was claiming their products didn't cause cancer way back when. Even the science from doctors not affiliated with big tobacco took some time to make this link.

You will be hard pressed to find a candy/soft drink/etc. manufacturer saying their sugary products are healthy, in fact, almost all of their products say right on them "enjoy in moderation". All health experts say you shouldn't consume much if any sugary beverages.

So, we have all the information that sugary drinks are bad for you. Now you want to sue the company? Let's also sue:
1) All tech companies for lack of privacy
2) All fast food places for selling junk food
3) All convenience stores period, because, they only sell junk
4) All bread/wheat manufacturers - that's just sugar in disguise
5) All corn farmers, because hey, most sugar is corn syrup in this country, so they're contributing
6) Movie theaters - do you see the calories on the popcorn and candy? And that's ALL they sell, terrible
7) Theme parks - man, you can't find healthy shit in there, Six Flags should be put out of business
8) Fruit juice makers - another sugar in disguise product
9) What about the ice cream man? We don't want those bells ringing in the neighborhood getting all those children to buy junk
and on and on...

Actually forget suing all of the above, let's just make it all illegal!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:36:49 AM by dividendman »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17857 on: June 13, 2017, 09:40:37 AM »

What's wrong with that term? You're saying people are incapable of making the decision on their own so they need a "nanny" to keep bad things away from them.

Don't put words in my mouth! "You're saying people are incapable of making the decision on their own so they need a "nanny" to keep bad things away from them." This is also why I hate terms, by your stance you make it very clear that you are incapable of having hearing anything that you disagree with.

As for the cancer link, check out the book "Merchants of Doubt," which highlight the many ways tobacco companies (and now soda, energy, and other industries have copied the model) hired scientists to deny that their products caused any damage. They didn't aim to prove that their products were good, just avoid any perception that they did lasting damage.

Actually forget suing all of the above, let's just make it all illegal!

Delightful way of looking at life, no?

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17858 on: June 13, 2017, 09:45:56 AM »
A coworker who just got back from a vacation in Costa Rica is now talking about how expensive new tires are for her SUV. 

CW:  I need new tires, I'm getting scared to drive in the rain.  How am I supposed to afford them on my salary?
Me:  Prioritize
CW:  You're an ass
It's not about money, it's about mindset

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17859 on: June 13, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
A coworker who just got back from a vacation in Costa Rica is now talking about how expensive new tires are for her SUV. 

CW:  I need new tires, I'm getting scared to drive in the rain.  How am I supposed to afford them on my salary?

Thank you and your super-appropriate user name for turning this thread back in the right direction :)
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck. - Dalai Lama

FIT_Goat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17860 on: June 13, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »

46 grams of sugar per can x 24 cans = 1104 grams of sugar * 0.00220462 = 2.433903 pounds.... HOLY  CRAP, the math checks out!  For a second, I thought you were joking.  No wonder I gained so much weight in high school.  I was drinking more than a 12 pack a day of Mt. Dew.  So glad I gave it up in college.

Edit: I see I am like the 5th person to personally check those numbers.  LOL.  It just seemed so crazy.  Like how can someone consume half a 5 pound bag of sugar every single day?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:55:06 AM by FIT_Goat »

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17861 on: June 13, 2017, 02:41:28 PM »

I assume you took that as a compliment? I would have.

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17862 on: June 13, 2017, 03:01:28 PM »

The window motor in my car door broke, so I took it to the shop to get fixed.
My brother said, "It must be nice to have the money to get stuff fixed."
I replied, "It is."
All I got was a dumb look in response.

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #17863 on: June 13, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »

I replied, "It is."

I applaud you.  The only response to sulky "it must be nice" comments is, "Yes, it is."

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17864 on: June 13, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »
I spent the last 1.5 days with auditors and during some of the little breaks we chit-chatted about some mundane personal stuff. I learned that one guy lives 1.5-2 hours from work and is thinking about retiring early next year, but is hoping for a buyout offer that would amount to about $40k. I just can't wrap my head around that. This guy has obviously been with the government for a long while so he has a pension coming.

The other guy boasted about his son's new Tesla X that he purchased for $130k and how he made $80 or something betting on some sports game at a casino in Vegas. I asked some question about the bet because I have no idea how this works and he pulled out his ticket. He paid something like $88 for the pleasure of risking losing his money. I just don't get it.

At one point we were talking about managing employees and I made a comment about people who used to report to me who would ask about retirement buyout offers as well. That got me the surprised comment about that since I was "a young woman". Yeah, I've got four years experience managing people under my belt, thanks. I know it was meant kindly but I find it common for people who have spent their whole career in government/aerospace/defense to be surprised when someone makes it into management before age 45.
"It'll be great!"

kayvent

• Bristles
« Reply #17865 on: June 13, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »

46 grams of sugar per can x 24 cans = 1104 grams of sugar * 0.00220462 = 2.433903 pounds.... HOLY  CRAP, the math checks out!  For a second, I thought you were joking.  No wonder I gained so much weight in high school.  I was drinking more than a 12 pack a day of Mt. Dew.  So glad I gave it up in college.

Edit: I see I am like the 5th person to personally check those numbers.  LOL.  It just seemed so crazy.  Like how can someone consume half a 5 pound bag of sugar every single day?

Yeah....the only thing more surprisingly than those numbers is that we all know someone who consumes that much each day.

There was talk about the Nanny state above. Food nutrition is one of the few aspects of the Canadian nanny state I actively appreciate. Another is CPP.

In Canada it is mandatory to put nutrition labels and ingredient lists on products. For the first two decades of my life, I didn't look at them. Now I consult them with fervour. There are bizarre land mines that are only detectable by consulting those labels. Fairly regularly I'll see two almost identical products (ex. cheese perogies) by different companies have drastically different levels of salt but everything else identical. Or there will be some products not even worth considering buying at the store but perfectly reasonably and fun to make at home (ex. chicken nuggets)

Tying this back in, I always knew that soda wasn't healthy and had lots of sugar. I have a can of it every few months. Because I knew it wasn't healthy, I never bothered looking at the nutrition label until last month. Almost fell off the chair when I saw there was 40 grams of sugars in the can.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:00:22 PM by kayvent »

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #17866 on: June 13, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »

I replied, "It is."

No brainer I'd have thought. You own a car you have to maintain it. What else have they been spending their car maintenance money on?

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17867 on: June 13, 2017, 08:30:40 PM »
I spent the last 1.5 days with auditors and during some of the little breaks we chit-chatted about some mundane personal stuff. I learned that one guy lives 1.5-2 hours from work and is thinking about retiring early next year, but is hoping for a buyout offer that would amount to about $40k. I just can't wrap my head around that. This guy has obviously been with the government for a long while so he has a pension coming.

Re the house location. Depending on the type of auditing and office practice, auditors may not actually be in the office more than a few days a month, and it makes much more sense to locate to accommodate airports, transit, highways, etc.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17868 on: June 14, 2017, 06:38:50 AM »

I am not going to argue bike culture, but the point is spending thousands of dollars on a once in a while hobby, and she was guilted into it. I can see it more if it is your main transportation or for work. There has to be a middle ground to get an old bike for cheap and fix it up.

A used quality hybrid or similar bike could probably be had for $100-$200.  A heck of a lot cheaper than a few grand and will outlast a Walmart bike.  Even brand new, those bikes retail for ~ $400 - $500.  I ride something similar on a daily basis.
I want to brag on my $30 yard sale buy, a 1996 Trek model 820. I spent another $35 on a mirror, big seat and spring post to help protect my bad back. Love it.

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #17869 on: June 14, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »
In Canada it is mandatory to put nutrition labels and ingredient lists on products. For the first two decades of my life, I didn't look at them. Now I consult them with fervour. There are bizarre land mines that are only detectable by consulting those labels. Fairly regularly I'll see two almost identical products (ex. cheese perogies) by different companies have drastically different levels of salt but everything else identical. Or there will be some products not even worth considering buying at the store but perfectly reasonably and fun to make at home (ex. chicken nuggets)

We have nutrition labels and ingredient lists in 'Merica too.  Ain't nobody look at them; and ain't nobody buy perogies 'cept from Mrs. T's or Hunky-church ladies.

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #17870 on: June 14, 2017, 08:36:32 AM »

We have nutrition labels and ingredient lists in 'Merica too.  Ain't nobody look at them; and ain't nobody buy perogies 'cept from Mrs. T's or Hunky-church ladies.

I visited Vancouver a couple weeks ago and I was SO upset at the number of perogies available everywhere. I even found some "Ukrainian Style" ones (where I'm from!) that were $1.49 CAD for an entire box when on sale. THAT'S SO CHEAP!

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17871 on: June 14, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »
Re the house location. Depending on the type of auditing and office practice, auditors may not actually be in the office more than a few days a month, and it makes much more sense to locate to accommodate airports, transit, highways, etc.

That is true, but this location is far from work and far from airports and urban centers. I should have clarified: the second guy wasn't an auditor but a gov employee supporting the audit. He works at the same location as I do.
"It'll be great!"

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17872 on: June 14, 2017, 01:58:26 PM »

I smiled at that. I'm sure that many haven't a clue about what you are referring to, but  growing up near a huge steel mill town, I sure do. In the "bad" part of the city, there were many eastern euro churches where the little old ladies cranked out some serious perogies. It got to the point where one of the churches  went out and bought a couple of station wagons just to deliver the things. When it came to Perogie sales, they didn't play around. Memories, yum................

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #17873 on: June 14, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
CW: I can't wait til payday, I'm so broke.
CW (few hours later): Gonna go get take out for lunch!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #17874 on: June 14, 2017, 08:05:56 PM »
We had a soccer team at work, and there were a lot of younger guys on the team.  They were all standing around admiring one of the guys car that he just purchased (or I assumed leased).  The car was an Mercedes AMG convertible (I'll admit it is a beautiful machine)

Me:  Nice car when did you get it.
Him:  Last week, the ladies love it.
Me:  Oh, yeah, they'd probably be more impressed if you weren't still living with your parents.

the rest of the guys thought that was hilarious, but seriously, you are making good money, living at home, why not use that money to build some wealth.  I try talking to the young guys about this, but they don't seem to care.

Where does he expect to be able to bring a lady if he catches one? Does he plan to just fuck her in the back seat of the Mercedes convertible? Because I don't believe there is one.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17875 on: June 14, 2017, 11:16:12 PM »
my coworkers monthly expenses on stupid shit:
$100 month for a guy to mow the lawn
$300+ month cable bill
$300 month HOA
$315+ month food expenses while at work (eating breakfast and lunch at work, $15 per day at 21 work days per month, could be higher for all I know)
$50-60 month for his and wife new phone installment plans (had to get new phones so they could use FaceTime literally one time when the wife went away for a weekend)

So like $1100 month extra in useless stuff..nbd

And this is only the stuff that has come up in conversation. Im sure there is more.

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #17876 on: June 15, 2017, 05:20:52 AM »
We had a soccer team at work, and there were a lot of younger guys on the team.  They were all standing around admiring one of the guys car that he just purchased (or I assumed leased).  The car was an Mercedes AMG convertible (I'll admit it is a beautiful machine)

Me:  Nice car when did you get it.
Him:  Last week, the ladies love it.
Me:  Oh, yeah, they'd probably be more impressed if you weren't still living with your parents.

the rest of the guys thought that was hilarious, but seriously, you are making good money, living at home, why not use that money to build some wealth.  I try talking to the young guys about this, but they don't seem to care.

Where does he expect to be able to bring a lady if he catches one? Does he plan to just fuck her in the back seat of the Mercedes convertible? Because I don't believe there is one.

Gotta trade up to a bigger Mercedes!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17877 on: June 15, 2017, 06:53:32 AM »
One of my young, female colleagues said in the lunch break that she sometimes finds clothes in her cupboard that are several years old and never worn. Sometimes she buys the same cloth twice, because she forgot she already had it.

The 2 male young colleagues at the same table said they were wearing t-shirts that they had had for years. One said his t-shirt was originally blue. It was now very grey, but still looking OK. I am myself also wearing a 10+ year old t-shirt today.

The female colleague is driving a BMW fancy kind of model. Now she is dreaming of a Tesla.
Dream on, girl!

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #17878 on: June 15, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »
Not overheard but more of an observation: Our parking lot has a half dozen or so leased BMW 3-series.  All of them bought leased soley for impressing co-workers.  No *ucks given by me as I rolled in past them on my bike.

Reynold

• Stubble
« Reply #17879 on: June 15, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
$300 month HOA

To be fair, in some places, buying a condo or townhouse with a $300/month HOA fee can be cheaper than buying a house without a HOA fee because the additional property taxes on the same square footage house will be more than $300/month, even ignoring the higher purchase price of the house.  I would be surprised if the people you mention thought that way though. :)

A couple of years ago, my workplace offered a "higher tier" health insurance plan that cost the employee something like $800/month, versus the "lower tier" one that was more like $100/month for the employee.  The higher tier one had slightly better coverage of out-of-network stuff, but since they had similar caps on total out of pocket coverage before they covered 100%, I couldn't construct any possible scenario under which the higher tier one saved you money.  It got dropped, and the VP of my area, which is highly technical, was complaining that he couldn't get it any more.  I asked if he had ever crunched any numbers on it, and the answer was no, he just "wanted the best coverage".  While he could afford it, it only took me about 15 minutes of playing with hypotheticals to figure out the higher tier insurance was a bad buy, that is pretty good $/hour. . .

ingrownstudentloans

• Stubble
« Reply #17880 on: June 15, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
It got dropped, and the VP of my area, which is highly technical, was complaining that he couldn't get it any more.  I asked if he had ever crunched any numbers on it, and the answer was no, he just "wanted the best coverage".

I don't see the problem here - if it's more expensive, it has to be better coverage.  Good thing your family didn't get sick.  You must not love your kids if you are willing to risk their health for $700/mo.
/s

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #17881 on: June 15, 2017, 09:16:58 AM »
$100 month for a guy to mow the lawn
$300+ month cable bill
$300 month HOA
$315+ month food expenses while at work (eating breakfast and lunch at work, $15 per day at 21 work days per month, could be higher for all I know)
$50-60 month for his and wife new phone installment plans (had to get new phones so they could use FaceTime literally one time when the wife went away for a weekend)

So like $1100 month extra in useless stuff..nbd

And this is only the stuff that has come up in conversation. Im sure there is more.

The HOA fee doesn't impress me much without knowing what services it covers.  But, I guarantee he spends more than $315 on eating out if he buys breakfast and lunch.  Also, I can't even imagine how to get a cable bill over $300!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17882 on: June 15, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »
Not overheard but more of an observation: Our parking lot has a half dozen or so leased BMW 3-series.  All of them bought leased soley for impressing co-workers.  No *ucks given by me as I rolled in past them on my bike.

At my work there are a LOT of Tesla's in the parking lot most of these are owned by people with a pretty high income.

Even one of the guys who cycles almost every day owns a Tesla.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17883 on: June 15, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »
It got dropped, and the VP of my area, which is highly technical, was complaining that he couldn't get it any more.  I asked if he had ever crunched any numbers on it, and the answer was no, he just "wanted the best coverage".

I don't see the problem here - if it's more expensive, it has to be better coverage.  Good thing your family didn't get sick.  You must not love your kids if you are willing to risk their health for $700/mo.
/s

This is a weird argument.

Do you pay for a home security system?  If not, you must not love your kids if you're risking your safety for $50/mo.

Do you have a full-time bodyguard for your kids?  If not, you must not love your kids if you're not hiring professionals to follow them around for $5k/mo

----

The obvious take away is that Reynold has insurance, which DOES protect his family's health.  Should he be critical of a coworker paying for the higher priced stuff?  It depends on the financial details of the person.  If they can afford the $700/mo and it offers benefits that make it a good deal for them, then no problem.  If they're just buying an extra $700/mo of coverage for no benefit, then yes, it's foolish.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck. - Dalai Lama

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17884 on: June 15, 2017, 09:41:41 AM »

/s

Do you pay for a home security system?  If not, you must not love your kids if you're risking your safety for $50/mo.

Do you have a full-time bodyguard for your kids?  If not, you must not love your kids if you're not hiring professionals to follow them around for $5k/mo

----

The obvious take away is that Reynold has insurance, which DOES protect his family's health.  Should he be critical of a coworker paying for the higher priced stuff?  It depends on the financial details of the person.  If they can afford the $700/mo and it offers benefits that make it a good deal for them, then no problem.  If they're just buying an extra $700/mo of coverage for no benefit, then yes, it's foolish.
I think you missed the /s switch.

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17885 on: June 15, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »

/s

----

I think you missed the /s switch.

It's always fun when people take sarcasm seriously.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17886 on: June 15, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
Glad it was sarcasm.  I've never seen it shown as "/s".  Alert level lowered to yellow :-P

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17887 on: June 15, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
One of my young, female colleagues said in the lunch break that she sometimes finds clothes in her cupboard that are several years old and never worn. Sometimes she buys the same cloth twice, because she forgot she already had it.

The 2 male young colleagues at the same table said they were wearing t-shirts that they had had for years. One said his t-shirt was originally blue. It was now very grey, but still looking OK. I am myself also wearing a 10+ year old t-shirt today.

The female colleague is driving a BMW fancy kind of model. Now she is dreaming of a Tesla.
Dream on, girl!
I have a few pullover that may be 20 years old by now. They are really presentable, but as long as I don't need to impress someone they are still doing their job - warm and comfy.
Of course T-Shirts die earlier, they are thinner, and nearly always at the ellbow anyway. 5 years for a cheapo. 

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #17888 on: June 15, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »

Dream on, girl!
I have a few pullover that may be 20 years old by now. They are really presentable, but as long as I don't need to impress someone they are still doing their job - warm and comfy.
Of course T-Shirts die earlier, they are thinner, and nearly always at the ellbow anyway. 5 years for a cheapo.

Your t-shirts have elbows?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17889 on: June 15, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »

It's always fun when people take sarcasm seriously.

I think you forgot  the /s switch.

Just kidding, I hate that bullshit

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17890 on: June 15, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »

At my work there are a LOT of Tesla's in the parking lot most of these are owned by people with a pretty high income.

I don't think people buy Teslas solely to impress other people, though.  They look pretty meh from the outside and cost way more than much cooler looking cars

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #17891 on: June 15, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »

I would give a Tesla driver more credit than these people.  They bought these cars for one thing: the BMW badge.  Yes, I get that there are some BMW drivers who actually appreciate the car for what it is but these people are not them.  A 3-series with low end engine and auto tranny is strictly for posers trying to impress others.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17892 on: June 15, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »

I would give a Tesla driver more credit than these people.  They bought these cars for one thing: the BMW badge.  Yes, I get that there are some BMW drivers who actually appreciate the car for what it is but these people are not them.  A 3-series with low end engine and auto tranny is strictly for posers trying to impress others.

I do agree on that Teslas are also smart cars in the sense of being electrical and having the longest distance support for electric cars.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17893 on: June 15, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »
They bought these cars for one thing: the BMW badge.  Yes, I get that there are some BMW drivers who actually appreciate the car for what it is but these people are not them.  A 3-series with low end engine and auto tranny is strictly for posers trying to impress others.

I consider BMWs to be the biggest 'keeping up with the jones'' car there is.  They all look the same, the only difference is the 3-digit number on the back, which signifies how much you spent on the car.  Buy the BMW with the biggest number you can afford, to show how far you've made it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17894 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »

You know that's why I don't really care about the car I drive. I drive a Camry and love it because it gets me from A to B without much hassle, good mileage/safety, and it is reliable. I could easily go out and buy a luxury sedan but I don't because

a. Cost
b. Maintenance costs
c. I don't F@#$ing care about what brand something is. Now I might be more popular if I was driving a flashy car, but I hardly know anything about cars or engines. I would only be buying a premium brand off its reputation and name-recognition. I have greater uses for my money.

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #17895 on: June 15, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »

You know that's why I don't really care about the car I drive. I drive a Camry.

FTFY, the rest was redundant :)

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17896 on: June 15, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
I consider BMWs to be the biggest 'keeping up with the jones'' car there is.  They all look the same, the only difference is the 3-digit number on the back, which signifies how much you spent on the car.  Buy the BMW with the biggest number you can afford, to show how far you've made it.

OK, I must admit that I've driven my share of Benzes (not Bimmers), but the first thing I always did was to remove the numbers on the trunk - partly for the clean look, and partly to not try to show off.

And yes, all of these Benzes have been old, cheap and fairly reliable.  :) 

cheapass

• Bristles
« Reply #17897 on: June 15, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
Buy the BMW with the biggest number you can afford, to show how far you've made it.

Well you don't want your friends and neighbors to think you're poor, do you? Better make yourself poor to make sure they don't think you are!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17898 on: June 15, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »

Tesla owners are showing off image at least as much as BMW owners just in different ways; Tesla owners are either virtue signaling (environment, etc) or are driving the most conspicuous trendy "startup gadget" there is. 

Don't get me wrong, they're cool cars and I'd love to have one, but you're silly if you think a Tesla Model S isn't the BMW 5-series status symbol of the modern day.  It completely is. 
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17899 on: June 15, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »
I live in Tesla central (used to run past the headquarters in the morning when I worked in the other office, the factory is on the other side of the bridge from me). From what I can tell, Teslas are purchased by people who would otherwise be buying Lamborghinis, Porsche sedans, or Mazeratis. That is a different price point than a big BMW. Personally if that is what you are doing anyway, the Tesla makes a heck of a lot more sense. These are also the people in $5-15M homes, so people with different financial considerations than me, to say the least.
"It'll be great!"