Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5459465 times)

CptCool

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17800 on: June 07, 2017, 08:22:50 AM »
Lots of people realize index funds exist, they just don't think it's worth their time to only match the market. They're out there to get rich because they heard on the news that this stock or this industry is going to be big

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #17801 on: June 07, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »
I figure this would be a thread appreciative of this particular SMBC comic.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/a-joke-2

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17802 on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
Not really antimustachian, but mind boggling nonetheless. At a volunteer event for work yesterday I accidentally sat at the same lunch table as some senior VPs and at least one C-level. Nice guys, but I couldn't relate to their conversation.

VP1: "Now the big thing is to rent a private jet and travel the world."
VP2: "I've thought about a timeshare on a jet."
VP3: "I don't think I could do that."
VP2: "Why not? You've got four houses. Just sell a couple and get a plane."
VP3: "Nah. I'm going to sell some houses and get a boat."

I suspect by "boat" he meant "yacht."  I can't even imagine what it would be like to have that kind of money. If they can afford it, cheers to them. When I sat down I heard something about, "and I paid in cash. 485." Given the context, I think he was paying $485,000 in cash on a house. Good on him if that's the case!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:46:33 AM by Inaya »
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17803 on: June 07, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »
Lots of people realize index funds exist, they just don't think it's worth their time to only match the market. They're out there to get rich because they heard on the news that this stock or this industry is going to be big

I've heard someone say they don't use index funds because they "track the market." Apparently the guy was only interested in trying to beat it. I didn't know him, but I would have loved to hear about his track record in beating the market.

JanF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17804 on: June 07, 2017, 08:46:37 AM »
"I'm sick of my Lexus and want to upgrade to an Audi. It's only an extra 200/month if I upgrade!"
- Coworker who complains about not having enough money to make repairs to her house

Good news might be that she realizes that it's a stupid waste of money but she might end up doing it anyway if she gets raise/promotion!

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17805 on: June 07, 2017, 09:28:35 AM »
"I'm sick of my Lexus and want to upgrade to an Audi. It's only an extra 200/month if I upgrade!"
- Coworker who complains about not having enough money to make repairs to her house

Good news might be that she realizes that it's a stupid waste of money but she might end up doing it anyway if she gets raise/promotion!

This sounds like a clear case of Tiny Details Exaggeration Syndrome!

NorthernDreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #17806 on: June 07, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
I think I freaked out someone at work when discussing our pension plan. We have government jobs with a fairly generous pension plan (the higher of defined benefit vs defined contribution, calculated each year in retirement). I just said that I am not counting on it being the way it is now when I draw from it. She just said, "it better be because people are counting on it! It's not like I have any RRSPs."

Yikes. I suppose if there are any changes in the future we might be grandfathered in, but silly me never really considered that people working here would have NO OTHER retirement plans. This colleague definitely does not know about my plans. No one at work really does, except one temp who is 25 and I vaguely talked about frugality and early retirement. I recommended they read The Millionaire Teacher. Perhaps I should tell that to the 45 year old without a backup plan too...

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17807 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:32 PM »
coworker actually said this today "I'm 63 and starting to worry about retirement."  He makes around $130k/yr, it's not a stretch to believe that his inflation adjusted salary has been in that range for decades. 
It's not about money, it's about mindset

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17808 on: June 07, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »
coworker actually said this today "I'm 63 and starting to worry about retirement."  He makes around $130k/yr, it's not a stretch to believe that his inflation adjusted salary has been in that range for decades.

One of my key drivers to force me to look into financial independence/personal finance was a conversation I had with my mom. She was slightly younger than 63, but said the same thing about being worried about retirement. It amazes me...
My Log

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #17809 on: June 07, 2017, 03:33:50 PM »

One of my key drivers to force me to look into financial independence/personal finance was a conversation I had with my mom. She was slightly younger than 63, but said the same thing about being worried about retirement. It amazes me...

One of the perhaps understressed boons of mustachian/frugality. I'm not all that close to FI, but by my math, I could stop contributing entirely and still retire comfortably at 65.
Maybe there should be a slogan: Just try it for a few years, and then you can give up go back to your spendypants ways, and you'll still retire well. (Assuming they can keep their hands out of the cookie jar.)

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #17810 on: June 07, 2017, 05:07:58 PM »

One of the perhaps understressed boons of mustachian/frugality. I'm not all that close to FI, but by my math, I could stop contributing entirely and still retire comfortably at 65.
Maybe there should be a slogan: Just try it for a few years, and then you can give up go back to your spendypants ways, and you'll still retire well. (Assuming they can keep their hands out of the cookie jar.)

A great point, one I've been thinking about a lot regarding saving now and then maybe going part time in the future.

Some basic examples:

Save $100,000 by 30, stop saving altogether, by 65 it's worth $1,150,615.
Even save $100,000 by 40, stop saving, by 65 it's worth $572,541.

Both amounts would ease a lot of minds regarding retirement I'd bet!
British guy in Shanghai.My Shanghai Journal

Rife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17811 on: June 07, 2017, 06:57:34 PM »
Generally, my co-workers do only expensive hobbies like skiing and golfing, but sometimes cheap hobbies threaten their social order and results in comments like this: "She (girlfriend) initially just wanted a Walmart bike, but then she came out with us one day and saw what we all have. Now she is up to the big boy prices."

I always find it especially impressive when people spend thousands on what could otherwise be very economical. I will give him that he is at least helping her get the pricey bike secondhand for much less than it could have been.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #17812 on: June 07, 2017, 07:05:23 PM »
I think I freaked out someone at work when discussing our pension plan. We have government jobs with a fairly generous pension plan (the higher of defined benefit vs defined contribution, calculated each year in retirement). I just said that I am not counting on it being the way it is now when I draw from it. She just said, "it better be because people are counting on it! It's not like I have any RRSPs."

Yikes. I suppose if there are any changes in the future we might be grandfathered in, but silly me never really considered that people working here would have NO OTHER retirement plans. This colleague definitely does not know about my plans. No one at work really does, except one temp who is 25 and I vaguely talked about frugality and early retirement. I recommended they read The Millionaire Teacher. Perhaps I should tell that to the 45 year old without a backup plan too...

That is the norm at my govt employer.  Sad.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17813 on: June 07, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »

That is the norm at every employer.  Sad.

Fixed that for you.
Frugalite in training.

BeautifulDay

• Stubble
« Reply #17814 on: June 07, 2017, 07:45:53 PM »
About a month ago CW was super stressed about a broken sewage pipe under her house and all the damage done.  She had no idea how she would meet the deductible.  A few weeks earlier her water heater broke and she didn't have money to replace it either.  I've been feeling bad for her and tried to give her advice when appropriate. I know that she doesn't make much in an unskilled entry level position and that her husband works in a big box hardware store so doesn't have super high wage.

Then this morning she shows up to work in a brand new car.  She is so excited. Ugh. 

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17815 on: June 07, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »
Generally, my co-workers do only expensive hobbies like skiing and golfing, but sometimes cheap hobbies threaten their social order and results in comments like this: "She (girlfriend) initially just wanted a Walmart bike, but then she came out with us one day and saw what we all have. Now she is up to the big boy prices."

I always find it especially impressive when people spend thousands on what could otherwise be very economical. I will give him that he is at least helping her get the pricey bike secondhand for much less than it could have been.
Wal-Mart bikes are junk that will end in a landfill within a couple hundred miles. She made the right decision even if it wasn't for the right reasons.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17816 on: June 08, 2017, 12:23:17 AM »

Agreed! I felt a huge wave of relief when my old age pension was funded (UK so there's no taking it out early). Although growth and inflation rely on more estimates, it is far quicker to save for the year's expenses at age 99 than next year's expenses, because the growth will do the heavy lifting. It could also address the slow growth of the stache in the early years - don't count how many forward looking years' stache you have, count backwards from 100 (or whatever).

Rife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17817 on: June 08, 2017, 07:09:19 AM »

Wal-Mart bikes are junk that will end in a landfill within a couple hundred miles. She made the right decision even if it wasn't for the right reasons.

I am not going to argue bike culture, but the point is spending thousands of dollars on a once in a while hobby, and she was guilted into it. I can see it more if it is your main transportation or for work. There has to be a middle ground to get an old bike for cheap and fix it up.

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #17818 on: June 08, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »

I am not going to argue bike culture, but the point is spending thousands of dollars on a once in a while hobby, and she was guilted into it. I can see it more if it is your main transportation or for work. There has to be a middle ground to get an old bike for cheap and fix it up.

A used quality hybrid or similar bike could probably be had for $100-$200.  A heck of a lot cheaper than a few grand and will outlast a Walmart bike.  Even brand new, those bikes retail for ~ $400 - $500.  I ride something similar on a daily basis.
<|> My Strava <|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #17819 on: June 08, 2017, 01:24:35 PM »
We're having retirement planning meetings this week at work. I wanted to go but had something come up so I asked my legal assistant to let me know how it goes.  She (who just turned 50) and another legal assistant (who's in her 40s) just walked in to my office and said "we can never retire, we're gonna die at our desks, we'll retire when you retire" (I'm 26).  Yikes.

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #17820 on: June 08, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
We're having retirement planning meetings this week at work. I wanted to go but had something come up so I asked my legal assistant to let me know how it goes.  She (who just turned 50) and another legal assistant (who's in her 40s) just walked in to my office and said "we can never retire, we're gonna die at our desks, we'll retire when you retire" (I'm 26).  Yikes.

Well, when you retire in a few years, you can tell them that it's time for them to retire as well.

My colleagues have said something similar in jest: "sw1tch will be here the longest" - I'll be leaving in about another month!
<|> My Strava <|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17821 on: June 08, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »

"Big boy prices" may mean $500.  Which is, incidentally, about where new worthwhile mountain bikes start.  That's the middle ground for many, it's not $129 at WalMart but it isn't $thousands either. 
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #17822 on: June 09, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »
Used to have a coworker who was a goldmine. She was about 36, still lived with parents (though actively hated it). She would order takeout food for breakfast (frequently cheeseburgers....) and different takeout food for lunch, and had at least 2 different gym memberships and BMW 5-series and designer handbags. She had a ton of expensive beauty products (but nice skin wasn't ever gonna improve the situation if you know what I mean).

I remember sitting at my cubicle listening to her beg her older brother for money for her car insurance on said BMW. She would also argue with her mom about money while at her cubicle. Work husband and I would frantically text each other a running commentary on these calls.

She would go out drinking all weekend and then sleep all day Sunday and then brag about it on Monday.

Then she got the idea that she wanted to buy a house. But since she had no money, really her parents would buy her a house.

After all of this quasi-public drama, she had the audacity to ask for a raise, despite performance issues. No raise was given.

I don't know what happened to her, but I do miss the entertainment value of her daily trainwreck (and eating habits). Perhaps that's why I've delighted in reading this whole thread over the last few weeks.

dividendman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17823 on: June 09, 2017, 10:03:56 AM »
She would order takeout food for breakfast (frequently cheeseburgers....)

Tell me more! Who offers this service?!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17824 on: June 09, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »

I once worked for a very large man (~400lbs) and about 1-2x a week we'd show up to work and our entire area would stink of grilled onions because he'd stop at White Castle for a couple burgers for breakfast.  I've still never stepped foot in one because of that association.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #17825 on: June 09, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »

Our old office was in a college town so one was a greasy omelet/sandwich restaurant. I couldn't really stomach their food as a sober person.
(Just googled them and that location is no longer open....)

There was a restaurant/tavern that was slightly more upscale(expensive) that she frequented as well- I guess if you are a frequent customer, they'll make you a $14 cheeseburger at 9:30 AM.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17826 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »

Our old office was in a college town so one was a greasy omelet/sandwich restaurant. I couldn't really stomach their food as a sober person.
(Just googled them and that location is no longer open....)

There was a restaurant/tavern that was slightly more upscale(expensive) that she frequented as well- I guess if you are a frequent customer, they'll make you a $14 cheeseburger at 9:30 AM.

$14!!! And I feel guilty for wanting to get takeout for lunch about once a week (want, I don't always act on this impulse).

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17827 on: June 09, 2017, 01:17:52 PM »
I once worked for a very large man (~400lbs) and about 1-2x a week we'd show up to work and our entire area would stink of grilled onions because he'd stop at White Castle for a couple burgers for breakfast.  I've still never stepped foot in one because of that association.

A couple burgers? Like multiple burgers, for breakfast? For breakfast?!?! Breakfast!!! Sometimes more than once a week. I can't imagine that.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17828 on: June 09, 2017, 01:20:18 PM »

A couple burgers? Like multiple burgers, for breakfast? For breakfast?!?! Breakfast!!! Sometimes more than once a week. I can't imagine that.

Not to defend him but "a couple burgers" are a couple of fast food burgers, which are smaller than the burgers you might order in a regular restaurant. 

But yes. 

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17829 on: June 09, 2017, 01:32:14 PM »

Not to defend him but "a couple burgers" are a couple of fast food burgers, which are smaller than the burgers you might order in a regular restaurant. 

But yes.

And, White Castle burgers are sliders, and they are tiny.  I've heard of people racing to see who can finish a "Crave Case" (30 Sliders).  Although, I've only tried them once, and I wasn't a fan.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck. - Dalai Lama

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17830 on: June 09, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »
This is actually my fiance's coworker:

FH works at a large hospital and his company recently hired 4 temps. Two or three of the temps may eventually be hired permanently for an entry-level role depending on need. One of the temps is in in his 50s and constantly worried about when his paycheck will arrive, complaining about being broke. He commutes at least an hour (drive and park, followed then bus ride) and usually gets take out for both breakfast and lunch, sometimes also leaving for coffee. FH estimates temp CW spends $10+ per day and often more like $20 per day on these take out meals.

Temp CW also regularly will stay home for an entire day because he has a doctor's appointment for an hour or two, which means he doesn't get paid since hes a temp.He also interviewed for a permanent position a month or so ago and it seems he did not get it because it has since been re-posted online.

It's very sad and my FH has commented several times that he is glad we are saving so that we don't end up in a situation like this in our 50s (we're in our 30s now) where we are broke and temping in our 50s.
Get cash back on your online shopping from Mr Rebates (hotels, flights, ebay, groupon and more): http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=453502 (referral link, thank you!)

dividendman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17831 on: June 09, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »

I can't imagine it either... sounds like heaven.

I love cheeseburgers.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17832 on: June 09, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »

But yes.

And, White Castle burgers are sliders, and they are tiny.  I've heard of people racing to see who can finish a "Crave Case" (30 Sliders).  Although, I've only tried them once, and I wasn't a fan.

Is this taking the "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse" thing literally?

dividendman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17833 on: June 09, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »
Is this taking the "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse" thing literally?

If you mean that their meat is horse (and other non-beef meat) you're probably right.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17834 on: June 10, 2017, 05:21:48 AM »

Well, when you retire in a few years, you can tell them that it's time for them to retire as well.

My colleagues have said something similar in jest: "sw1tch will be here the longest" - I'll be leaving in about another month!
I hope you made a bet with them.
Like if you go earlier you would give them 100$ each.

JAYSLOL

• Bristles
« Reply #17835 on: June 10, 2017, 07:28:43 AM »
You seriously need to get rid of the yard, sounds like you could have crazy-productive gardens.

This is an excellent point. Could be growing tons of things with that growth rate on grass.

+1

I posted this a while back, and it is in the works...

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/what-kind-of-side-business-would-you-start-with-a-large-property/msg1555983/#msg1555983

Still researching my best options and crunching numbers, but it'll get interesting soon around here

princeradar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17836 on: June 10, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
We had a soccer team at work, and there were a lot of younger guys on the team.  They were all standing around admiring one of the guys car that he just purchased (or I assumed leased).  The car was an Mercedes AMG convertible (I'll admit it is a beautiful machine)

Me:  Nice car when did you get it.
Him:  Last week, the ladies love it.
Me:  Oh, yeah, they'd probably be more impressed if you weren't still living with your parents.

the rest of the guys thought that was hilarious, but seriously, you are making good money, living at home, why not use that money to build some wealth.  I try talking to the young guys about this, but they don't seem to care.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:23:20 PM by princeradar »

kayvent

• Bristles
« Reply #17837 on: June 10, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »
Me:  Nice car when did you get it.
Him:  Last week, the ladies love it.
Me:  Oh, yeah, they'd probably be more impressed if you weren't still living at home.

I hope you called the fire department because he got burned.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17838 on: June 11, 2017, 10:08:41 AM »
My son calls the other day. He runs several divisions of an oil services and heavy construction company. He tells me he had spent the last week with five smartphones in various pockets, trying to fill in for missing staff.  He was missing a total of four key people due to medical events. Two phones were from the two brothers that own the place, who's elderly parents were dealing with big health issues. One department head was gone getting knees replaced, another left with chest pains. I asked about this guy? Son reports that chest pain guy is 38 YO, smokes a pack and a half+  and drinks a CASE of Mountain Dew A DAY!  I said, "Holy shit, that's not  good, you probably want to keep an eye out for his replacement, sounds like he is working hard on taking a dirt nap". He then tells me that just the soda alone works out to 2.4 pounds of sugar a day.

princeradar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17839 on: June 11, 2017, 06:38:31 PM »
My son calls the other day. He runs several divisions of an oil services and heavy construction company. He tells me he had spent the last week with five smartphones in various pockets, trying to fill in for missing staff.  He was missing a total of four key people due to medical events. Two phones were from the two brothers that own the place, who's elderly parents were dealing with big health issues. One department head was gone getting knees replaced, another left with chest pains. I asked about this guy? Son reports that chest pain guy is 38 YO, smokes a pack and a half+  and drinks a CASE of Mountain Dew A DAY!  I said, "Holy shit, that's not  good, you probably want to keep an eye out for his replacement, sounds like he is working hard on taking a dirt nap". He then tells me that just the soda alone works out to 2.4 pounds of sugar a day.

OMG, I have never heard of anyone drinking that much soda in one day, plus the guy smokes?  I'll actually never understand how people knowingly can put there body through that kind of abuse.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17840 on: June 11, 2017, 08:08:33 PM »

OMG, I have never heard of anyone drinking that much soda in one day, plus the guy smokes?  I'll actually never understand how people knowingly can put there body through that kind of abuse.

OMG. That is more than his daily calorie needs just in soda every day.
Get cash back on your online shopping from Mr Rebates (hotels, flights, ebay, groupon and more): http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=453502 (referral link, thank you!)

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17841 on: June 12, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »
I was in a conversation with two coworkers.  The younger one had her second kid a couple years ago and is about to move in to a 3000 sqft house.  It's LCOL, so I'm sure she and her husband can afford it, they're both technical.  But my god, 3000 sqft for 4 people. 

The older coworker then explained how that was a good size since you'd never need to upgrade.  He has a family of 4 also, and has a 2600 sqft house.  He's evidently had to talk his wife out of upgrading multiple times, and lamented that if only he had originally bought ~3000 sqft he would have more ammunition for not upgrading.

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17842 on: June 12, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »
I was in a conversation with two coworkers.  The younger one had her second kid a couple years ago and is about to move in to a 3000 sqft house.  It's LCOL, so I'm sure she and her husband can afford it, they're both technical.  But my god, 3000 sqft for 4 people. 

My wife and I have two other "couples" as friends. They have similar incomes to us ($150-200k combined).

Both just bought houses.

One couple just spent $450k on a 3200 sq ft house. For just them. No kids. 4 bedrooms 4 bathrooms....I'm just flabbergasted. We visited the other weekend, the house is nearly empty, and the wife is talking about how she needs to buy all this furniture and decorations to fill it up.

The other couple spent around $425k on a 3000 sq ft house. They have one child and are thinking about a second. Slightly more modest at 3 bedrooms 3 baths...but the property taxes are over $10k/year.

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17843 on: June 12, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »

Thinks to self - "No way, that can't be right."

Looks at math: 46 grams/can * 24 cans = 1104 grams / 453.592 grams/lb = 2.43 lbs of sugar.

[Shudders at the mental image of eating 2.4 lbs of sugar by the spoonful.]

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17844 on: June 12, 2017, 11:43:15 AM »

Looks at math: 46 grams/can * 24 cans = 1104 grams / 453.592 grams/lb = 2.43 lbs of sugar.

That's 2.25 gallons a day... That is a lot of fluid. How many trips ot the bathroom does this guy take?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17845 on: June 12, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »
I'm a reformed Dew drinker; used to drink 2 20oz bottles a day.  Maaaaaybe three on a bad day.  24 cans?  Holy shit. 

FWIW, I cut out all soda aside from the occasional Sprite (~1x a month) or club soda with booze about 3 years ago. 

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17846 on: June 12, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »

It might not be as unusual as it sounds. maybe not as extreme as 288 OZ. a day, but no too far off.

We spend our winters in rural Florida, north of Tampa. It's usually pretty mild at that time of year,  60s and 70s during the day, occasionally in the  80s. The one constant of the area is that you can't swing a cat by it's tail and not hit a convenience store.  Most of them have huge, high volume fountain soda operations. Usually at something like $0.89 for any size cup. It's nothing to be in a store like that and see a line of people waiting to fill their 44 OZ. cups.  I'm sure that many of their clients stop buy a few times a day to "grab a soda" and end up drinking the equivalent of half a case of soda, or more, especially the 7-8 months a year in that area when it's hotter than the balls on a spit roasting pig, and too humid for human occupation, LOL. (I guess you can tell I'm a candy-assed yankee)

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #17847 on: June 12, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »
"It was $30 to go 3 blocks!"

Why didn't you freakin' walk?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17848 on: June 12, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »

It might not be as unusual as it sounds. maybe not as extreme as 288 OZ. a day, but no too far off.

We spend our winters in rural Florida, north of Tampa. It's usually pretty mild at that time of year,  60s and 70s during the day, occasionally in the  80s. The one constant of the area is that you can't swing a cat by it's tail and not hit a convenience store.  Most of them have huge, high volume fountain soda operations. Usually at something like $0.89 for any size cup. It's nothing to be in a store like that and see a line of people waiting to fill their 44 OZ. cups.  I'm sure that many of their clients stop buy a few times a day to "grab a soda" and end up drinking the equivalent of half a case of soda, or more, especially the 7-8 months a year in that area when it's hotter than the balls on a spit roasting pig, and too humid for human occupation, LOL. (I guess you can tell I'm a candy-assed yankee)

I had to convert 44oz.

It's 1301ml!

The most common family-size soft drink bottle in Australia (1.25L) is smaller than that. ಠ_ಠ

briesas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17849 on: June 12, 2017, 10:48:14 PM »

Over 1200mg of caffeine per day too, 3x the amount the Mayo clinic says is 'safe for most adults'