Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252515 times)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17750 on: June 20, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »

I'm from Minnesota, and generally I would say that most people here fit the "Minnesota Nice" stereotype. I would NEVER say something to her face, even if she was a close friend. However, I'll complain about in on MMM and laugh about it with my husband! :)

Ha ha, obviously I'm very glad you share them here! And I am in awe of your restraint (and lolling at Minnesota Nice).

To clarify, from another Minnesotan, "Minnesota Nice" is NOT NICE. Sure, it means that you won't say mean things directly to people's faces, but it always includes the talking about the thing behind someone's back. (In MinneAG's example, that's the MMM/husband part.)

Also note, if someone from Minnesota tells you "Oh, that's...interesting", the thing is not interesting, it's stupid. This is often misunderstood, like when people from outside the South think "Bless his heart" is a nice thing to say.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17751 on: June 20, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »

I'm from Minnesota, and generally I would say that most people here fit the "Minnesota Nice" stereotype. I would NEVER say something to her face, even if she was a close friend. However, I'll complain about in on MMM and laugh about it with my husband! :)

Ha ha, obviously I'm very glad you share them here! And I am in awe of your restraint (and lolling at Minnesota Nice).

To clarify, from another Minnesotan, "Minnesota Nice" is NOT NICE. Sure, it means that you won't say mean things directly to people's faces, but it always includes the talking about the thing behind someone's back. (In MinneAG's example, that's the MMM/husband part.)

Also note, if someone from Minnesota tells you "Oh, that's...interesting", the thing is not interesting, it's stupid. This is often misunderstood, like when people from outside the South think "Bless his heart" is a nice thing to say.

Another Minnesotan chiming in, another phrase I'll hear from time to time is, "Well that's different," which translates to meaning, "It SUCKS!" I personally don't like the MN Nice as it is way too passive aggressive for my taste.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17752 on: June 20, 2017, 08:54:08 AM »
My 27yo co-worker, who I consider a good friend, called me over to help him with his 401k - yay. He's on pace to make $65k+ in a LCOL area - double yay.

Well so far, due to his payment system (salary plus commission) and the fact he's only contributing the minimum, he has put $1400 into his plan for the whole year. Even sadder was that he thought he was doing great.  He has about $7k in it and has been making over $45k a year for the past 5-6yrs with only a 6.6% return in one of the predetermined options.

He has no idea how 401k's work. How the stock market works (I'm not an expert but I try to learn) nor how much it will help him in the long run to put in as much as possible. I tried to get him to go from the 4% he's at, to at least a 7% and then continue to up it in 2-3% increments. He laughed his ass off and said that wasn't going to happen since he was thinking of buying a motorcycle since he just sold his old one.

I smiled and punched him on the arm and told him not to bother me with financial shit until he was ready and went back to work.

If you really want to help him, help him understand the concept of opportunity cost. i.e. if I invest an extra $X/month that's Y years I don't have to work on the back-end of my career when I'm old and tired... or, maybe it's better to think about it in terms of "if I spend $X/month on stupid shit that's an extra Y years I'll have to work to pay for it..."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:56:16 AM by cheapass »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17753 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:03 AM »
I use the Pretirement App posted about in another thread.  It shows how any spending decision will affect your retirement date.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/'pretirement'-app-instantly-converts-spending-to-fi-date-delta/

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17754 on: June 20, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »
I use the Pretirement App posted about in another thread.  It shows how any spending decision will affect your retirement date.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/'pretirement'-app-instantly-converts-spending-to-fi-date-delta/

I love that app! I use it all the time on my wife - "THAT'S ANOTHER WEEK IN THE CUBICLE!!"

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17755 on: June 20, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »

Another Minnesotan chiming in, another phrase I'll hear from time to time is, "Well that's different," which translates to meaning, "It SUCKS!" I personally don't like the MN Nice as it is way too passive aggressive for my taste.
Bless your heart.

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17756 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »

Bless your heart.

Ha!! Loving all my fellow Minnesotans chiming in!! Cheers, friends!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17757 on: June 20, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »

Bless your heart.

Ha!! Loving all my fellow Minnesotans chiming in!! Cheers, friends!

This is all very interesting... ;)

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #17758 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »
I love my coworkers and they are generally very nice, balanced, non-crazy people. But one just broadcast the most alarming series of decisions to the office:

Week 1: I want a big dog to go hiking with.
-Awesome, if you can afford it then you should!

Week 2: Look here's the dog I want. He's free from the local shelter.
-Great, save a life.

Week 3: Turns out I only want a dog because I want to break up with my live-in boyfriend.
-Not good. Do not buy a dog

Week 4: I have broken up with the boyfriend over the fact that I want a dog, but he's not moving out yet because I can't afford the apartment alone
-That's nice of him

Week 5 (now): I have purchased a tiny purse dog for $1100. Also, I'm quitting.
-!!!!!!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17759 on: June 20, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »
-!!!!!!

To that coworker I would say, "bless your heart". :-P

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #17760 on: June 20, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
I love my coworkers and they are generally very nice, balanced, non-crazy people. But one just broadcast the most alarming series of decisions to the office:

Week 1: I want a big dog to go hiking with.
-Awesome, if you can afford it then you should!

Week 2: Look here's the dog I want. He's free from the local shelter.
-Great, save a life.

Week 3: Turns out I only want a dog because I want to break up with my live-in boyfriend.
-Not good. Do not buy a dog

Week 4: I have broken up with the boyfriend over the fact that I want a dog, but he's not moving out yet because I can't afford the apartment alone
-That's nice of him

-!!!!!!
Well, that's different.

(I lived in Minnesota during the mid to late 90's.)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17761 on: June 21, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »
Not overheard but more of an observation: Our parking lot has a half dozen or so leased BMW 3-series.  All of them bought leased soley for impressing co-workers.  No *ucks given by me as I rolled in past them on my bike.

At my work there are a LOT of Tesla's in the parking lot most of these are owned by people with a pretty high income.

Even one of the guys who cycles almost every day owns a Tesla.

I would give a Tesla driver more credit than these people.  They bought these cars for one thing: the BMW badge.  Yes, I get that there are some BMW drivers who actually appreciate the car for what it is but these people are not them.  A 3-series with low end engine and auto tranny is strictly for posers trying to impress others.

I agree. It is probably a lot full of 328s. lol - what a piece of garbage car.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17762 on: June 21, 2017, 09:10:21 AM »
An older guy at work seems to come in extra hours for no reason. He comes really early (I think at least an hour early) and stays at least half an hour late. Plus a 30 minute commute each way. He also has been coming in on Saturdays (to "stay on top of things" as he said once). He doesn't get paid overtime because he's salary. I honestly haven't been able to figure out what he's been doing, because some days there will be something random unrelated to his job come up, and he's out there helping. He's the Quality Manager but I see him just helping out in random things for no reason.

I joked to a coworker that maybe he hates his wife, but the coworker said he doesn't... I haven't mentioned anything other than a quick joke, "What are you still doing here?" when I leave. I think it'd be rude to ask at this point...

I just hope it doesn't make me look bad because I'm also salary but stay the exact time I'm supposed to. I haven't had enough work to justify staying late yet. Almost been working here a year (a bit less than this guy), but now I'm doubting even asking for a raise at the one year mark. It'll just perpetuate the lazy entitled millennial stereotype right? We have completely different jobs (I have an engineering degree and the salary to go with it), but still. FWIW, there are very few office staff so it's not like any of this would be unnoticed with management.

Same guy still has a daughter that lives with him who is 27. I know he's also paying back a good bit of student loans for one of his daughters, over 20k. Maybe this is part of why he works so "hard"?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17763 on: June 21, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »
An older guy at work seems to come in extra hours for no reason. He comes really early (I think at least an hour early) and stays at least half an hour late. Plus a 30 minute commute each way. He also has been coming in on Saturdays (to "stay on top of things" as he said once). He doesn't get paid overtime because he's salary. I honestly haven't been able to figure out what he's been doing, because some days there will be something random unrelated to his job come up, and he's out there helping. He's the Quality Manager but I see him just helping out in random things for no reason.

I joked to a coworker that maybe he hates his wife, but the coworker said he doesn't... I haven't mentioned anything other than a quick joke, "What are you still doing here?" when I leave. I think it'd be rude to ask at this point...

I just hope it doesn't make me look bad because I'm also salary but stay the exact time I'm supposed to. I haven't had enough work to justify staying late yet. Almost been working here a year (a bit less than this guy), but now I'm doubting even asking for a raise at the one year mark. It'll just perpetuate the lazy entitled millennial stereotype right? We have completely different jobs (I have an engineering degree and the salary to go with it), but still. FWIW, there are very few office staff so it's not like any of this would be unnoticed with management.

Same guy still has a daughter that lives with him who is 27. I know he's also paying back a good bit of student loans for one of his daughters, over 20k. Maybe this is part of why he works so "hard"?

The student loans are probably a big part of it--its job security. Sounds like he's a nice guy and people like him; if it comes down to two people to lay off, it probably wouldn't be him.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #17764 on: June 21, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »

The student loans are probably a big part of it--its job security. Sounds like he's a nice guy and people like him; if it comes down to two people to lay off, it probably wouldn't be him.

Maybe he just doesn't have anything else he'd rather do. Or maybe he's passive-aggressive and is playing the part of the martyr for his wife and daughters.

We had a guy like that here. He worked for the company for 41 years and the only vacations he ever took was one or two days each year to go to the state fair. He'd joke that if he took time off his wife would just find things for him to do around the house. Don't know why he never took her on a nice vacation, he was in management and could certainly afford it. The company more or less forced him to retire at 70. Shortly after that, his wife divorced him, so it seems that even though he didn't really complain about her, things must not have been right between them. Heck of a nice guy though, at least at work.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17765 on: June 21, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »

I'll never understand this mindset. Like, there's nothing else you'd rather be doing besides sitting at work? Your life is seriously that boring?

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17766 on: June 21, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »

This! I have a few co-workers that work more time and help with random projects just for job security. Me, I'd rather have more time than such job security. FU money FTW!!

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #17767 on: June 21, 2017, 11:20:13 AM »

I'll never understand this mindset. Like, there's nothing else you'd rather be doing besides sitting at work? Your life is seriously that boring?

My boss hates his home life so much he's always looking for an excuse to be at work.   He has a new grandbaby at home, but hates being there.  WTF is wrong with someone like that?

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17768 on: June 21, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »

This! I have a few co-workers that work more time and help with random projects just for job security. Me, I'd rather have more time than such job security. FU money FTW!!

I'm sure this is part of it. The other problem is that only four of us get paid salaried, and there are already so few office staff. Two salaried employees are the plant manager/VP who both work crazy hours and weekends. I feel like he's working these hours to fit in better with them. Except he doesn't directly benefit from the company doing well like they do. So I'm the only salaried employee that doesn't bust my butt. I wouldn't mind too working extra if occasionally something important was going on, but I usually have to kill time as it is.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17769 on: June 21, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »

We have loads of people that are eligible for a full pension retirement but are choosing to stay at work.  There are only two reasons I can come up with for this: a) they have no life outside of work or b) they can't​ afford to give up their full salary.  I think it's a pretty even mix of both type of people.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17770 on: June 21, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »

I joked to a coworker that maybe he hates his wife, but

People like this exist. My company's sales manager retired a few years ago, when he was working here he was known for being at work 30 minutes earlier and staying late even if he didn't have any assignments. He would come in on the weekends 'just cause,' and would never take vacations or sick days. This was just his personality. He was salary so he wasn't paid any more for it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17771 on: June 21, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
Well, as an auditor, there's another potential side to that. If someone's running a fraud scheme, not being at work makes it much more likely that it'll be discovered by someone else. Which is why certain industries may have mandatory vacation requirements.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #17772 on: June 21, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
Not overheard but more of an observation: Our parking lot has a half dozen or so leased BMW 3-series.  All of them bought leased soley for impressing co-workers.  No *ucks given by me as I rolled in past them on my bike.

At my work there are a LOT of Tesla's in the parking lot most of these are owned by people with a pretty high income.

I would give a Tesla driver more credit than these people.  They bought these cars for one thing: the BMW badge.  Yes, I get that there are some BMW drivers who actually appreciate the car for what it is but these people are not them.  A 3-series with low end engine and auto tranny is strictly for posers trying to impress others.

Better than the 318 ... or even the 325 for that matter.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #17773 on: June 21, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »
There is an older gentleman that works in my office, well beyond traditional retirement age (maybe mid-late 70s?). Several of us younger folk joke that he must either love it here or hate it at home because he comes in at 6 (there is no strict start time to our day, but the general rule is "before 9") and stays until 4 or 5 every day, with a ONE HOUR COMMUTE each way.

I was chatting with somebody about retirement the other day with him in the room and he volunteered some information about himself. Apparently he was involved in a small business startup when he was young that flopped about fifteen years in, less ten before he planned on cashing in and retiring, and took his entire life savings with it. Then he hired on at one of the big 3 auto makers and worked for them up until the year before he was set to begin receiving a (relatively hefty) pension when the recession hit, the company got bailed out by the government, and all pensions disappeared. With that company having a traditionally comfortable pension plan, he hadn't planned any retirement savings on his own. 35 years into his career he was left with almost zero savings (and if I had to guess, probably a mortgage and a car payment). He then joined our company where he has worked for 20-odd years, throwing everything he can into his 401k and index funds.

Kind of a sad story that he had such bad luck, but he had a lot of really good advice for us younger employees and served as a good example of what happens when you don't plan properly for retirement.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17774 on: June 21, 2017, 01:09:14 PM »

Better than the 318 ... or even the 325 for that matter.

How old are we talking here? And I can't say I agree with any of you; in fact the only 3 series for which I have any... not disdain, maybe indifference... for is the 323. The 318 was a pretty stout engine--but the newest of them [in the US] are pretty old at this point.

Now, I'd take the 1 series above almost all of them, but the fact is it really has proven time and time again to be the best RWD compact car out there. Throwing out 2 seaters, the only things that give it a run for the money are the Camaro and Mustang, which are also awesome, but in a completely different way.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17775 on: June 21, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
There is an older gentleman that works in my office, well beyond traditional retirement age (maybe mid-late 70s?). Several of us younger folk joke that he must either love it here or hate it at home because he comes in at 6 (there is no strict start time to our day, but the general rule is "before 9") and stays until 4 or 5 every day, with a ONE HOUR COMMUTE each way.

I was chatting with somebody about retirement the other day with him in the room and he volunteered some information about himself. Apparently he was involved in a small business startup when he was young that flopped about fifteen years in, less ten before he planned on cashing in and retiring, and took his entire life savings with it. Then he hired on at one of the big 3 auto makers and worked for them up until the year before he was set to begin receiving a (relatively hefty) pension when the recession hit, the company got bailed out by the government, and all pensions disappeared. With that company having a traditionally comfortable pension plan, he hadn't planned any retirement savings on his own. 35 years into his career he was left with almost zero savings (and if I had to guess, probably a mortgage and a car payment). He then joined our company where he has worked for 20-odd years, throwing everything he can into his 401k and index funds.

Kind of a sad story that he had such bad luck, but he had a lot of really good advice for us younger employees and served as a good example of what happens when you don't plan properly for retirement.

The worst part about this is that the first one, he took a risk, and it didn't pay off. I think we can all understand that, even if its not what we would have done. The second, people thought those pensions were the bees knees--they were commonly looked at as gravitational levels of reliability. He really didn't mis-manage it, he just got fucked.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #17776 on: June 21, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »

The worst part about this is that the first one, he took a risk, and it didn't pay off. I think we can all understand that, even if its not what we would have done. The second, people thought those pensions were the bees knees--they were commonly looked at as gravitational levels of reliability. He really didn't mis-manage it, he just got fucked.

Yeah, that's why I said his bad luck was sort of sad. It was still valuable for a younger generation to learn that you can't necessarily rely on things like a start-up or a company funded pension to support you.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17777 on: June 21, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »
Damn.  My heart breaks for this guy.  That's a rough set of circumstances.  I hope he's had an enjoyable life, and hasn't dreaded every moment of his work.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17778 on: June 21, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »

It's possibly that he's just not very efficient, or else he's able to work best outside of his official work hours. I've been there with that one; when I was cracking with occupational burnout a few years ago, I struggled during the working day when new tasks seemed to be firing at me non-stop, ping ping pinging from all directions, but when 6.30pm came round and we locked the doors and put the 'phone on divert I relaxed and was very productive until I had to leave the building at 8pm. Even now that I've recovered I still work well in that 90-minute period, and sometimes find it better to snatch a short break away from my desk in the middle of the day and work late to catch up.

Well, as an auditor, there's another potential side to that. If someone's running a fraud scheme, not being at work makes it much more likely that it'll be discovered by someone else. Which is why certain industries may have mandatory vacation requirements.

Or, of course, this.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17779 on: June 21, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
I'm having trouble understanding this one.  Fraud against the employer?  What would that have to do with mandatory vacation?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17780 on: June 21, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
I'm having trouble understanding this one.  Fraud against the employer?  What would that have to do with mandatory vacation?
So, if you're running any kind of scam, you want to answer all of your phone calls.

Example where someone else answering the phone = exposed.  My dad ran the business office for a car dealership - not a used car lot, but a new car dealership.  One day, he gets a call from a supplier of after-market radios, thanking the dealership for all of the business over the last few months.  This is a strange call - as a factory dealer, they usually don't do much fancy-radio business, certainly not enough that the salesman would be grateful enough to call just to say "thanks".  So they look into it.  Turns out, a technician was ordering radios on the company account, and stealing them.  This is also a good example of why when your head accountant (dad) says "we need to implement this control", the business should listen, but that's not really relevant to the discussion.

So, mandatory vacation and how it helps detect fraud.  If you are required to be out of the office for a week or two, one of your customers might call and talk with someone else - not a sure thing, but another person might think - "who is this John Smith, and why does he think he's bought $100,000 worth of stuff from us in the last few years?  No records . . ." can be what gets you caught.  Also gives a window where the company could audit your records without you running interference, but I imagine that would typically only happen if you're already under suspicion.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17781 on: June 21, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »

ummm....This was me for the first 25 years of my working life.  It is still the case with all of my siblings.  For me, it really was just a combination of a very strong work ethic and a lot of loyalty to the companies I worked for.  I wanted the company to be successful and I truly believed that everyone owed it to the employer to do the best job and to go "the extra mile".  I was also super-competitive and I wanted to be the first person in and the last person out the door each night.  It provided a huge sense of accomplishment and superiority. 
I was raised that way and never really considered that there could be a better way.  I thought everyone who didn't give 100% was a slacker.  I used to tell people that as a salaried worker, even your dreams should be focused on finding ways to make the company more profitable.
I was just misdirected.  I can't even convince my siblings to stop thinking like this.  It's so deeply ingrained in each of us, it was really hard to knock it out.  One sibling just "retired", took a year off to travel, and took a meeting for consulting 2 days after return home.  Laundry wasn't even done yet.  That sibling has over $5M in bank and doesn't know another way to be relevant or productive, or whatever it is.  So glad I found the mustache!

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #17782 on: June 21, 2017, 06:30:04 PM »
A co-worker recently moved into an apartment on his own. Previously he had been living with his sister and her boyfriend in a house that the three rented together. His sister and boyfriend bought a house together and invited him to rent a room from them, but he declined because he "didn't like the idea of paying for someone else's mortgage". I was rather dumbstruck especially because he is a bright guy, and I couldn't fathom having that mentality. I attempted to reason with him a bit, but he wasn't having any of it so I backed off.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #17783 on: June 21, 2017, 06:34:09 PM »

I don't understand this comment at all. What do you mean?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17784 on: June 21, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »
A co-worker recently moved into an apartment on his own. Previously he had been living with his sister and her boyfriend in a house that the three rented together. His sister and boyfriend bought a house together and invited him to rent a room from them, but he declined because he "didn't like the idea of paying for someone else's mortgage". I was rather dumbstruck especially because he is a bright guy, and I couldn't fathom having that mentality. I attempted to reason with him a bit, but he wasn't having any of it so I backed off.

Don't tell him that there could be a mortgage on his apartment complex!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17785 on: June 21, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »

For embezzlement actions of any substantial size to succeed, an employee would need to be constantly present in order to manipulate records and respond to different inquiries. On the other hand, if an employee is forced to be absent for at least five consecutive workdays, the likelihood of any illegal actions succeeding is reduced, since someone else would be required to answer the queries during the employee’s absence.

http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/mandatory-vacations/

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17786 on: June 21, 2017, 10:07:33 PM »
Yeah, MTA (Mandatory Time Away) in regulated industries is no joke. At a previous company, the people it applied to couldn't do anything. Computers and phones locked up, all accounts disabled, building and VPN access revoked. For 2 weeks it's like they never existed.

In fact, the security training every employee had to take specifically outlined behaviors to watch for in colleagues that could suggest fraud. Working long hours was one of them or volunteering to do other people's work were some of the signs.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17787 on: June 22, 2017, 03:30:16 AM »
I don't know if this belongs here or in the anti-antimustachian thread.

I have a younger colleague who is rather high maintenance, particularly regarding cosmetic and non-essential health interventions, and is always grumbling about not earning enough despite her income being the same as mine. We were discussing a swap of responsibilities.

"I can work that afternoon provided I can get away at 4.15pm because I have an appointment with my chiropodist," said my high maintenance colleague.

"You're able-bodied and you're not diabetic. Can't you do your own feet like normal people do?" said my senior colleague.

I almost spluttered my coffee. I have wanted to say that for SO long and haven't quite dared.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17788 on: June 22, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »

For embezzlement actions of any substantial size to succeed, an employee would need to be constantly present in order to manipulate records and respond to different inquiries. On the other hand, if an employee is forced to be absent for at least five consecutive workdays, the likelihood of any illegal actions succeeding is reduced, since someone else would be required to answer the queries during the employee’s absence.

http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/mandatory-vacations/

Yeah, a competitor of my company back in the 90s found out their warehouse manager was shipping out pallets of stuff and then deleting the invoice and adjusting inventory. He apparently had been doing it for a decade and it was only when he was hospitalized that it came out. When I heard about it, it made me sick for multiple reasons.

a. The value of the products he stole
b. The amount he took for stealing them (like 10 cents on the dollar)
c. Guy's a gambler and pissed it all away, so essentially had nothing to show for his decade of theft.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17789 on: June 22, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »

I had a roommate say the same thing.  We had been roommates for a long time and I was thinking of just buying a house and renting a room to him.  "Why would I want to pay your mortgage?"  I was so dumbfounded by that lack of logic I didn't even know how to respond.  Ended up not doing it just based on how annoyed his tone was at the idea.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17790 on: June 22, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »
Yeah, MTA (Mandatory Time Away) in regulated industries is no joke. At a previous company, the people it applied to couldn't do anything. Computers and phones locked up, all accounts disabled, building and VPN access revoked. For 2 weeks it's like they never existed.

That is actually pretty cool.  There is pressure at my work to check your phone, etc during time off.  I used to play along but I don't really GAF anymore.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17791 on: June 22, 2017, 10:54:52 AM »

I had a roommate say the same thing.  We had been roommates for a long time and I was thinking of just buying a house and renting a room to him.  "Why would I want to pay your mortgage?"  I was so dumbfounded by that lack of logic I didn't even know how to respond.  Ended up not doing it just based on how annoyed his tone was at the idea.

"So you don't have to assume any of the risk"

pink_shears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17792 on: June 22, 2017, 10:57:29 AM »
My husband has a coworker in his mid-twenties who gives us lots of interesting conversations. He recently mentioned buying new furniture for the new house he & his wife bought. He spent $5,000+ and was so excited telling everyone at work that it's only $60 a month...because they put it on a payment plan.

They also had a baby (about a year old), just upgraded to a bigger house and have two new cars. My husband talked him into signing up for the company's 401K plan. He had been with company for at least 3 years and still hadn't signed up, he was sputtering about saving 3%...the minimum to get the match!

At my work I recently had a coworker mention they need to train me on some things for when they retire. I asked when would that be and they said "Oh well I'll be 65 in 6 years, so 6 years. Unless I work until I'm 70."

I'm working hard to convince my husband that we need to do whatever we can to not be like this!!

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #17793 on: June 22, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
At my work I recently had a coworker mention they need to train me on some things for when they retire. I asked when would that be and they said "Oh well I'll be 65 in 6 years, so 6 years. Unless I work until I'm 70."

What did they say when you said that you'd probably be retiring before they did? ;)

pink_shears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17794 on: June 22, 2017, 11:31:09 AM »

What did they say when you said that you'd probably be retiring before they did? ;)

Hah, I would've liked to but people at my work get pretty feisty when good things happen to other people and not them, even if those good things are hard-worked for!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:58:01 PM by pink_shears »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17795 on: June 22, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »

Also... by their own logic it seems they are willing to pay someone else's mortgage... just not someone they know! Haha. Crazy.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #17796 on: June 22, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »

Also... by their own logic it seems they are willing to pay someone else's mortgage... just not someone they know! Haha. Crazy.

Perhaps paying a stranger's mortgage is easier to swallow than paying someone's you know - it may be a constant reminder they are still renting and the people they know are building their wealth off the back of their payments. It may be awkward e.g. renter damages/breaks something in their property - how will that affect the relationship? Can you still be proper roomie with a cleaning schedule or will the person who is landlord say: "I'm the landlord therefore I don't clean" - or "I can kick you anytime if I want a higher payment"?

The relationship can evolve from being equal as roomies in a stranger's home to becoming rather feudal - lord vs serf etc. My SO rented a friend's mum's granny flat but she treated him less than glowing - gave him a week's notice to leave because her then-BF needed a place to stay. The relationship barely survived.

In other words, it's not just the money.

I considered renting a flat to a friend's daughter (who wants to move out of home and who is going through some issues) at a significantly reduced market rate but realised she wouldn't be able to handle the responsibility. I valued the friendship too much to allow their daughter to fuck another opportunity up (she stayed at my beach house as a way for her to try living away from home and she left a mess - we had to clean up after her which was not pleasant after a 3 hour drive).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17797 on: June 22, 2017, 06:26:37 PM »
Perhaps paying a stranger's mortgage is easier to swallow than paying someone's you know - it may be a constant reminder they are still renting and the people they know are building their wealth off the back of their payments. It may be awkward e.g. renter damages/breaks something in their property - how will that affect the relationship? Can you still be proper roomie with a cleaning schedule or will the person who is landlord say: "I'm the landlord therefore I don't clean" - or "I can kick you anytime if I want a higher payment"?

The relationship can evolve from being equal as roomies in a stranger's home to becoming rather feudal - lord vs serf etc. My SO rented a friend's mum's granny flat but she treated him less than glowing - gave him a week's notice to leave because her then-BF needed a place to stay. The relationship barely survived.

In other words, it's not just the money.

I considered renting a flat to a friend's daughter (who wants to move out of home and who is going through some issues) at a significantly reduced market rate but realised she wouldn't be able to handle the responsibility. I valued the friendship too much to allow their daughter to fuck another opportunity up (she stayed at my beach house as a way for her to try living away from home and she left a mess - we had to clean up after her which was not pleasant after a 3 hour drive).

Exactly.

I know the boundaries I have with my landlord. I pay rent and look after the unit. She is responsible for repairs if a problem arises, but that is so infrequent that we sometimes don't communicate for six months or more.

My in-laws (posting about them a lot today!) talked about buying an investment property a couple of years ago. My husband suggested (to me) that they should buy in our city so we could rent from them. Not on your life. I simply would not trust them with anything remotely resembling a business transaction.

There is a reason my husband and his brother had very little financial literacy. My husband has come a long way, and my BiL will happily talk about finances with me, but never, ever with his parents.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #17798 on: June 22, 2017, 09:33:45 PM »
About a month ago CW was super stressed about a broken sewage pipe under her house and all the damage done.  She had no idea how she would meet the deductible.  A few weeks earlier her water heater broke and she didn't have money to replace it either.  I've been feeling bad for her and tried to give her advice when appropriate. I know that she doesn't make much in an unskilled entry level position and that her husband works in a big box hardware store so doesn't have super high wage.

Then this morning she shows up to work in a brand new car.  She is so excited. Ugh.

Today she tells me they are financing a fridge.  I mention that when I was newly married and had to buy a fridge we bought one for about $400 and it worked just fine. (I think the same fridge is about $500 today)  Basic, but a good fridge.  And that we again bought a very good rather basic fridge for our new home because that's what we could afford.  Her response there aren't really cheap fridges except ones with the freezer on top.

I can't fathom mortgaging my future to have my freezer on the bottom.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17799 on: June 23, 2017, 02:05:13 AM »
About a month ago CW was super stressed about a broken sewage pipe under her house and all the damage done.  She had no idea how she would meet the deductible.  A few weeks earlier her water heater broke and she didn't have money to replace it either.  I've been feeling bad for her and tried to give her advice when appropriate. I know that she doesn't make much in an unskilled entry level position and that her husband works in a big box hardware store so doesn't have super high wage.

Then this morning she shows up to work in a brand new car.  She is so excited. Ugh.

Today she tells me they are financing a fridge.  I mention that when I was newly married and had to buy a fridge we bought one for about $400 and it worked just fine. (I think the same fridge is about $500 today)  Basic, but a good fridge.  And that we again bought a very good rather basic fridge for our new home because that's what we could afford.  Her response there aren't really cheap fridges except ones with the freezer on top.

I can't fathom mortgaging my future to have my freezer on the bottom.

LOL yeh fucking physics! Why can't cold air don't go up?

I was really lucky with my fridge, it was cleareance sale. Paid 400€ for a fridge that saved me 70€ a year in energy (yes, German prices are high)