Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 6242931 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17650 on: May 17, 2017, 02:33:01 PM »
Pro tip: each thing you don't buy is like getting it for 100% off. What a deal!

This is a very important point that is missed by many.
Even better, that's post-tax money!

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17651 on: May 17, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »

This is one thing I've tried and I think succeeded in teaching my child. A corollary is that something is only a sale if you were going to buy it anyway. A person who buys 2x the amount because it is 25% off actually saved -50%.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17652 on: May 17, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »

This is one thing I've tried and I think succeeded in teaching my child. A corollary is that something is only a sale if you were going to buy it anyway. A person who buys 2x the amount because it is 25% off actually saved -50%.
Something is only a sale if you were going to buy it anyway at that price.  Pair of jeans cost $50, but they're 60% off! so I buy them.  How much did I save?  Actually nothing, because I'd never pay more than $20 for jeans.  I should have gone to a thrift shop :P

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #17653 on: May 17, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »

Something is only a sale if you were going to buy it anyway at that price.  Pair of jeans cost $50, but they're 60% off! so I buy them.  How much did I save?  Actually nothing, because I'd never pay more than $20 for jeans.  I should have gone to a thrift shop :P

This sort of works, but only with certain purchases. A good price is a good price and anticipating your needs is a really good skill to have in your financial toolbox.

If toilet paper is 60% off then you should buy two when you would ordinarily buy one because you will still need it when you run out.

Similarly, a $50 pair of jeans that are higher quality than the $20 pair would need to be replaced after a longer period of time. Getting them at 60% off before you need the pair (within reason - don't buy years ahead here people) isn't a bad thing. But I agree, thrift shops can be good for this too if you're willing to shift for quality and find a pair that were originally $50 - but then aren't you exchanging a discounted price for wear and tear full price?
See my journal

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17654 on: May 17, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »

This sort of works, but only with certain purchases. A good price is a good price and anticipating your needs is a really good skill to have in your financial toolbox.

If toilet paper is 60% off then you should buy two when you would ordinarily buy one because you will still need it when you run out.

Two? could you tell my wife? We have Over 70 rolls of paper towel and 500+ rolls of toilet paper stacked in the kids old bedroom. It's not really a complaint though, I'm sure they were on sale and she had a coupon and then probably 2 for the price of one. She's pretty sharp when it comes to getting a deal.
 My complaint is, when the kids come home she stocks thm up with
paper products whether they want it or not. :-)

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17655 on: May 18, 2017, 03:37:00 AM »

Two? could you tell my wife? We have Over 70 rolls of paper towel and 500+ rolls of toilet paper stacked in the kids old bedroom. It's not really a complaint though, I'm sure they were on sale and she had a coupon and then probably 2 for the price of one. She's pretty sharp when it comes to getting a deal.
 My complaint is, when the kids come home she stocks thm up with
paper products whether they want it or not. :-)

Indeed, this is what MMM wrote a column about once. When stuff you use is on sale, buy not just two, but buy bulk.
I have started doing this for groceries, like buying a lot of coconut milk when it is on discount. I regret only buying 2 deodorants on the sale last time. I figured the nest sale would be sooner, but it had different brands, so I had to improvise with buying another brand on sale.

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
« Reply #17656 on: May 18, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »
A person who buys 2x the amount because it is 25% off actually saved -50%.

Wut??

If you buy 4x the amount do you save -100% (get it for free)?
If you buy 5x the amount do you save -125% (have someone pay to take it off your hands)?

NO, you're still only saving 25%.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:13:50 AM by runewell »
Please leave Dicey out of this! Have you not been paying any attention? Trolls are not welcome here!

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17657 on: May 18, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »

Wut??

If you buy 5x the amount do you save -125% (have someone pay to take it off your hands)?

I read this as a minus 50% saving, ie a 50% overspend.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17658 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »

Wut??

Exactly - original quote was in the context of "sale price entices you to buy more than you need"

Math is as follows: 1x at 25% off costs 75%.  Buying 2x therefore costs 150%.  You paid 50% more!

4x is actually way worse, -200%.  5x is -275%.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17659 on: May 18, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

Wut??

Exactly - original quote was in the context of "sale price entices you to buy more than you need"

Math is as follows: 1x at 25% off costs 75%.  Buying 2x therefore costs 150%.  You paid 50% more!

4x is actually way worse, -200%.  5x is -275%.
Counterpoint:  if you know you'll use them, and the discount is steep.  I recently bought two pairs of Firehose pants at a pretty steep discount.  I know I'll use them basically until they wear out, then I'll return them for free replacements (just pay $7 shipping).  Of course, I *was* planning on buying them already, and was just waiting for the best sale price. 

Which brings up a question:  if I know I'm going to buy something, but am waiting until it goes on sale, am I really saving money if I buy it when it finally goes on sale?

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17660 on: May 18, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
zolotiyeruki - the full original quote that was cut down to 1 sentence by runewell is this:

Your pants example does not qualify - you were going to buy pants anyway.

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #17661 on: May 18, 2017, 01:02:41 PM »
(I've been diligently reading this thread for 2 days, but I must chime in)

65-ish y/o coworker (technically my employee)- when we were being switched from one retirement company to another at year-end: Oh I don't know what to do for my account, I'll just keep doing what I did at (Old retirement company)- put it all in a money market.

Me: *picks jaw up off the floor and immediately texts savvy mother*

The same coworker pays for a $14K life insurance policy on herself. One of her kids is a physician, the other is some kind of professional. Our company offers 2X annual salary life insurance for FREE and her kids are well-employed....so why do you need to pay for extra life insurance?!

Also- at year-end they switched us from biweekly pay to weekly pay, and a few people freaked out.

thesvenster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #17662 on: May 18, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »

Also- at year-end they switched us from biweekly pay to weekly pay, and a few people freaked out.

Why did they freak? They couldn't budget a weekly paycheck well enough to cover their end of month expenses?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17663 on: May 18, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »
Wore a Denali jacket to work last week.

Colleague: I love your jacket!
Me: Thank you.
Colleague: No, I really love it! I have to buy one. Where did you get it?
Me: Anaconda... six years ago.
Colleague: What? And you're still wearing it?
Me: ... yes.
Colleague: Oh I'd never keep something for that long.

Well, I do. It was $80 and after six years, 10 countries and a lot of festivals and events, it still looks like new apart from the tab missing on one sleeve zipper.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17664 on: May 18, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »
I had a GoLite jacket like that- I wore it backpacking, to work, everywhere for ~6 years. I even had to re-waterproof it twice. Eventually I got some holes in it, so I threw it away. I figured 6-7 years of use was pretty good.
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17665 on: May 18, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »
for some strange reason my CW feels the need to give updates as to when the planned conception date of his first child will be. I have never asked for this information btw. Anyways, his wife is demanding a baby but they decided not to try until next year because it will be better financially. Wife doesn't work and CW is in a new job he sucks at and really should be fired from, and he knows full well our boss doesn't like him.  they are currently getting a living stipend from their elderly parents because CW's salary apparently is not enough to support their combined spending habits, but this is supposed to be the last year for realz about the living stipend, they are supposed to get cut off and be on their own next year so they need to save more.

CW's wife's best friend accidentally got pregnant by some guy she just started dating. The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

Reason and financial preparation: out the window!

But in reality, I'm sure CW knows the living stipend from the family will just get extended so no big deal. Free money!

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #17666 on: May 19, 2017, 02:30:57 AM »

The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

This has to be the most absurd thing I have heard in a long long time!!! Seriously can't believe it. How is having a children  before a friend important unless they are contenders for crown of any sovereign?

Any here's my contribution to the mix.
CW was telling me how he is unable to save enough because the expenses can simply not be reduced. One question lead to another before I was blessed with two very sage advice
1. You should always buy a house for future even if it is beyond your purse because your income will keep on growing.
2. No mortgage should be below 30 years so that the EMI doesn't pinch as much and you can save maximum tax on the interest you pay.

The same CW told us how wise his decision to top up his personal loan (~9-10%) to pay for his marriage was instead of taking a personal loan (12-14%).

The same person has asked us multiple times how we manage to travel extensively without breaking bank. His 'honey moon' was 10 days in India was more expensive(~1700$) than our week long trip to Indonesia and we paid around 7-800$ in international flights and lived in quite fancy(for us) accomodation.
FI in India- {Royally Frugal}

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17667 on: May 19, 2017, 02:37:36 AM »
for some strange reason my CW feels the need to give updates as to when the planned conception date of his first child will be. I have never asked for this information btw. Anyways, his wife is demanding a baby but they decided not to try until next year because it will be better financially. Wife doesn't work and CW is in a new job he sucks at and really should be fired from, and he knows full well our boss doesn't like him.  they are currently getting a living stipend from their elderly parents because CW's salary apparently is not enough to support their combined spending habits, but this is supposed to be the last year for realz about the living stipend, they are supposed to get cut off and be on their own next year so they need to save more.

CW's wife's best friend accidentally got pregnant by some guy she just started dating. The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

But in reality, I'm sure CW knows the living stipend from the family will just get extended so no big deal. Free money!

I'm trying to cut back my use of the word hate because I think we throw it about too much.

But I mean it when I say I now HATE these people.

JDFW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17668 on: May 19, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
Wife doesn't work and CW is in a new job he sucks at and really should be fired from, and he knows full well our boss doesn't like him.

They aren't FI, have no kids, and she isn't working?

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17669 on: May 19, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
We'll, these are the same people who have this:

They are currently getting a living stipend from their elderly parents because CW's salary apparently is not enough to support their combined spending habits, but this is supposed to be the last year for realz about the living stipend, they are supposed to get cut off and be on their own next year so they need to save more.

So I'm guessing they weren't raised with the most sound financial advice/lessons...

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17670 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:03 AM »

The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

This has to be the most absurd thing I have heard in a long long time!!! Seriously can't believe it. How is having a children  before a friend important unless they are contenders for crown of any sovereign?

It happens. One of my aunts got pregnant with my cousin after my other aunt got pregnant because it was apparently a race to see who could provide grandbabies first.

My grandparents apparently thought the whole thing was stupid.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17671 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »

It happens. One of my aunts got pregnant with my cousin after my other aunt got pregnant because it was apparently a race to see who could provide grandbabies first.

My grandparents apparently thought the whole thing was stupid.

Yeah, but surely there's no point trying to conceive ASAP just because you found out someone else was pregnant. You've already lost the race because you already know they're pregnant and if it is a competition then being a few months "behind" them for your child's entire life would be a nightmare - close enough in age for direct comparison but you'll always lose.

Maenad

• Stubble
« Reply #17672 on: May 19, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »
It kind of reminds me of 2 other coworkers,  neither of whom ever cook, each bought $500 vitamix blenders over a year ago and have never used them.

I have friends who bought an Instant Pot from Amazon right around Black Friday last year when they were on super-duper sale - great, right? Except it's still in the box, they've never used it. I'm wondering how long I have to wait to ask them if they'd sell it to me.

Just Joe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17673 on: May 19, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
I had a GoLite jacket like that- I wore it backpacking, to work, everywhere for ~6 years. I even had to re-waterproof it twice. Eventually I got some holes in it, so I threw it away. I figured 6-7 years of use was pretty good.

My teenager stills wears two of my jackets. One from the 80s and one from the 90s.

What's wrong with old clothes? ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:50:12 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17674 on: May 19, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »
It kind of reminds me of 2 other coworkers,  neither of whom ever cook, each bought $500 vitamix blenders over a year ago and have never used them.

I have friends who bought an Instant Pot from Amazon right around Black Friday last year when they were on super-duper sale - great, right? Except it's still in the box, they've never used it. I'm wondering how long I have to wait to ask them if they'd sell it to me.

Every once in awhile I am tempted to buy a slow cooker or crockpot but then that rationale part of my brain reminds me that I wouldn't use it very often.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17675 on: May 19, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »

I'm trying to cut back my use of the word hate because I think we throw it about too much.

But I mean it when I say I now HATE these people.

I have SO many stories about this dude, you will hate him even more. Don't worry. He's the main reason I joined the forum. I just need to share.

Believe me, I've had some pretty anti-mustacian coworkers in my time, but this guy is officially THE worst. Doesn't help that he is an over-sharer which gives me more material to judge him.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17676 on: May 19, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »
Wife doesn't work and CW is in a new job he sucks at and really should be fired from, and he knows full well our boss doesn't like him.

They aren't FI, have no kids, and she isn't working?

Doesn't work, CW says she has no experience working and even if she tried to get a job she could probably only make $20k a year. So apparently that is reason enough to not ever try? She spends her days following a creative "passion", but in reality, she calls CW about 5 times per day to talk about whatever happens to be on her mind at the time (she witnessed a car accident, her back hurts, she went on a walk and saw a neighbor who she didn't know, etc.).

The kicker is those two complete and utter dumbasses live in a fancy house, go on very lavish vacations, have new cars, spend money on all kinds of junk carefree and don't ever worry about it. Why? Because of the elderly family members who own their house and give them living stipends and pay for their vacations on top of the stipend. I think CW only works bc the family requires it for the living stipend, wrongly assuming that one day CW and wife will be responsible enough to manage their finances on their own.

I'm not going to lie, it makes me extremely jealous. I secretly can't wait for these elderly rich family members to die so they will wake up and deal with reality. But for all I know they may just get some huge cash windfall.

Sarah Saverdink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #17677 on: May 19, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »

To be fair, the Black Friday sale was an amazing deal. I love my Instant Pot and use it for a ton of different dishes. We bought my parents one on Black Friday as a gift. They were contemplating buying their own because we spoke so highly of it and they use theirs frequently as well :)
www.saverdinks.com - DINKs in our 30s. Saved $1M by age 32. Follow our journey to financial independence.

rdaneel0

• Stubble
« Reply #17678 on: May 20, 2017, 06:16:41 AM »
A co-worker recently told me that he still lives at home with his parents (he's in his 30s). I was kind of shocked by that, but trying to be polite I said well at least you must be saving a ton of money! He shrugged and said not really, I'm bad at saving money.

HOW. How could you spend all your money when you don't even have living expenses?  It just blows my mind, and I know this guy makes at least $60k a year.
I write about my weekly meal preps, saving money in the city while working, and my random thoughts/adventures: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/journey-to-the-center-of-the-'stache/

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17679 on: May 20, 2017, 06:44:49 AM »
A co-worker recently told me that he still lives at home with his parents (he's in his 30s). I was kind of shocked by that, but trying to be polite I said well at least you must be saving a ton of money! He shrugged and said not really, I'm bad at saving money.

HOW. How could you spend all your money when you don't even have living expenses?  It just blows my mind, and I know this guy makes at least $60k a year.

That is crazy. I've been unfortunate (or maybe fortunate?) to work in a field with very few jobs anywhere near my parent's house. But if I was able to live at home and work professionally, I think I'd set a 65% SR goal as a minimum.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17680 on: May 20, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »

My teenager stills wears two of my jackets. One from the 80s and one from the 90s.

What's wrong with old clothes? ;)

Ha. I wear one of my Dad's jackets from 40+ years ago. Similar to this one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/525106577/60s70s-vintage-trucker-jacket-size-s-jc?ref=market
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

Just Joe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17681 on: May 21, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »
I like it!

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17682 on: May 21, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »
I like it!

Thanks! I should have noted while that is the style and vintage, mine is Made in the USA, not Mexico.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #17683 on: May 21, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »

To be fair, the Black Friday sale was an amazing deal. I love my Instant Pot and use it for a ton of different dishes. We bought my parents one on Black Friday as a gift. They were contemplating buying their own because we spoke so highly of it and they use theirs frequently as well :)

I second this. My friends highly recommended it during the Black Friday deal and we and a ton of our friends bought it. We use multiple times in a day.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17684 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »

I second this. My friends highly recommended it during the Black Friday deal and we and a ton of our friends bought it. We use multiple times in a day.

We have one and use it all the time, it was a great buy. My mother bought one and it is still in the box, that was a crap buy.

Zoot

• Stubble
« Reply #17685 on: May 21, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »

I kind of identify with this, actually--but for a different reason.

I also bought an Instant Pot around Black Friday (I'd had my eye on them for some time and was waiting for the magic moment), but when I got it I discovered I was afraid to use it!  My only experience with pressure cookers was the rickety old one my grandmother used--I was always afraid it was going to explode whenever canning season came around.  While I bought it at Thanksgiving, I didn't acquire the courage to open the thing until around Valentine's Day.

Now I use it all the time.  :)

jane8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17686 on: May 21, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »

CW should invest in a 2nd nespresso machine for work.  Seriously, I do have access to one at work, and am thinking of buying their base $99 model when I transfer to a new office.

I purchased this base model a few months back and love it. Thought about it for over a year before pulling the trigger and am glad I did. FYI, I purchased mine off Amazon. Had it on my wish list forever. One day i pulled it up and lo Amazon was offering a 24 or 48 hour 20% off discount (they have a name for it but I forget what it is). I figured they probably just saw me stalking the listing for so long they felt sorry for me (lol, no not really)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17687 on: May 22, 2017, 02:51:09 AM »
A colleague commented that $9 for takeaway soup was a good deal.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17688 on: May 22, 2017, 05:35:42 AM »
Depends on what and how much he got. For 5 people bursting?

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #17689 on: May 22, 2017, 06:06:21 AM »
5 people bursting?

Could be a line in a warped version of the 12 days of Christmas.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17690 on: May 22, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »

Haha! I bought two of them on Black Friday two years ago. One lives on the counter, the other in my pantry. They see each other frequently. It happened because I wanted the 8-quart unit, but the BF sale was so good it was cheaper to buy two of the 6-quart size. I thought it was silly at the time, but I like to batch cook for our family of four adults. It's worked out surprisingly well.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17691 on: May 22, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »

I discovered the IP in early December. Didn't want to wait the better part of a year for this marvel. Bought in January with a $100 Amazon credit I was gifted, so $30 out of pocket. No regrets. It has saved me far more than $130 in the 16 months I've had it.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17692 on: May 22, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »

I discovered the IP in early December. Didn't want to wait the better part of a year for this marvel. Bought in January with a $100 Amazon credit I was gifted, so $30 out of pocket. No regrets. It has saved me far more than $130 in the 16 months I've had it.

Anyone want to send me IP recipes? I have one and I've found myself mostly using it as a rice cooker and slow cooker. The only thing I've really used the pressure cooker setting on has been cooking raw beans. I would like to use it more often, especially now that I've taken up meal prepping.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17693 on: May 22, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »

Anyone want to send me IP recipes? I have one and I've found myself mostly using it as a rice cooker and slow cooker. The only thing I've really used the pressure cooker setting on has been cooking raw beans. I would like to use it more often, especially now that I've taken up meal prepping.

I'm pretty improvisational with mine--I just Google whatever ingredients I have on hand + Instant Pot. I also use the little manual that came with it for cooking times for grains and meats. There's a forum thread that might help you, however: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/instant-pot-recipes/
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17694 on: May 22, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »
^Thanks for posting this. I have a separate rice cooker and slowcooker (both heavily used), so I can't bring myself to spend money on an IP yet. But once either of those breaks, it'll be the first thing I buy.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17695 on: May 22, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »
^Thanks for posting this. I have a separate rice cooker and slowcooker (both heavily used), so I can't bring myself to spend money on an IP yet. But once either of those breaks, it'll be the first thing I buy.
Haha, my broken rice cooker was actually what pushed me to the IP.

Civex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17696 on: May 22, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

Any here's my contribution to the mix.
CW was telling me how he is unable to save enough because the expenses can simply not be reduced. One question lead to another before I was blessed with two very sage advice
1. You should always buy a house for future even if it is beyond your purse because your income will keep on growing.
2. No mortgage should be below 30 years so that the EMI doesn't pinch as much and you can save maximum tax on the interest you pay.

The same CW told us how wise his decision to top up his personal loan (~9-10%) to pay for his marriage was instead of taking a personal loan (12-14%).

The same person has asked us multiple times how we manage to travel extensively without breaking bank. His 'honey moon' was 10 days in India was more expensive(~1700$) than our week long trip to Indonesia and we paid around 7-800$ in international flights and lived in quite fancy(for us) accomodation.

So, I know that India and Indonesia are less expensive than Europe or many US destinations, but wow! I think both of your trips were quite inexpensive....are you flying out of the US? I have trouble finding relatively direct flights between US locations roundtrip for 2 for less than $1k. I don't "travel hack" flights, but generally pay for 50-100% of my hotels with reward points and our week long vacations are usually more than either of these...

Civex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17697 on: May 22, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
To stay on track, coworker was explaining his woes of our employer being slow to reimburse him for work related expenses..

CW: "It just sucks that they haven't reimbursed me yet."
Civex: "Yeah, its been over a month, I'd be irritated, too"
CW: "Yeah, my wife has really been getting after me because its on the CC and I'm paying 20%+ interest...."

CW makes >$150k/year and the reimbursement is less than $1k...like just pay it off and wait for the check!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17698 on: May 22, 2017, 09:50:23 PM »
Haha, my broken rice cooker was actually what pushed me to the IP.
Me too!  However, my IP has almost completely replaced both my slow cooker and (broken) rice cooker.

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #17699 on: May 22, 2017, 10:55:31 PM »

The same person has asked us multiple times how we manage to travel extensively without breaking bank. His 'honey moon' was 10 days in India was more expensive(~1700$) than our week long trip to Indonesia and we paid around 7-800$ in international flights and lived in quite fancy(for us) accommodation.

So, I know that India and Indonesia are less expensive than Europe or many US destinations, but wow! I think both of your trips were quite inexpensive....are you flying out of the US? I have trouble finding relatively direct flights between US locations round trip for 2 for less than $1k. I don't "travel hack" flights, but generally pay for 50-100% of my hotels with reward points and our week long vacations are usually more than either of these...
We live in India and because we were booking last minute paid a shit ton for return flights to Indonesia. Had we been flying out of the US that would have set us back by quite a bit.
He lives in the same city as us and 1700$ is more than enough to visit the area multiple times in fact when we spent around 400$ for a week long trip including flights to the same destination we were quite bummed having spent a lot of money.

We have till date traveled mostly in SE Asia (except for Maldives) and are yet to break the 1500$ barrier including flights and diving. We eat local (with suitable adjustment for vegetarian me) trust smaller guesthouses and hostels more than resorts and hotels and use public transport. Airbnb was a great deal in Cambodia last month.
FI in India- {Royally Frugal}