Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5491463 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17550 on: May 03, 2017, 04:57:37 PM »
My friend bought a BMW in Germany and had it shipped to US. He said it was cheaper than buying it from dealer here. So maybe there is some arbitrage that your colleague is taking advantage of.

Interesting, I was reading about an Indian guy in NJ that wasn't allowed to buy a BMW from the dealership because they were scared he would ship it to the Middle East.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17551 on: May 04, 2017, 02:43:54 AM »
Do you mean they were afraid they couldn't repo the car if necessary b/c it would be out of the country? Makes sense.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17552 on: May 04, 2017, 03:27:14 AM »
My male colleague, somewhere in his late 50s: Maybe I will travel to the US this summer and buy a 60s model car for 29,000 USD.

That is not including the transport and taxes to import the car into Norway.

I don't remember what car it was, but some fancy old style Buick or similar. (I'm not a car person)

thats not an insane price for a collector car.

And bought correctly it will not lose any significant value and might even appreciate a little.

depending on the car it could be worth much more than his cost to get it to Norway.  I dont know the market there though.

It is either Norway or Finland that the import taxes are ridiculous. My dad sold a guitar to someone in [Finland or Norway] and the guy paid over $13,000 for the guitar when all was said and done; over $2500 of that was tax.
That likely was not an "Import Tax" but the VAT, which is 24% in Finland.
Of course if you import things then that VAT is applied as import tax, because you can't put a VAT on imports. Legal nitpicking.

Dave1442397

• Bristles
« Reply #17553 on: May 04, 2017, 06:14:49 AM »
Do you mean they were afraid they couldn't repo the car if necessary b/c it would be out of the country? Makes sense.

Not quite. It was actually a Mercedes, and there's a lot of money to be made in exporting certain models.

http://jalopnik.com/new-jersey-dealer-refuses-sale-of-mercedes-to-indian-ma-1784946862

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17554 on: May 04, 2017, 07:49:00 AM »

It is either Norway or Finland that the import taxes are ridiculous. My dad sold a guitar to someone in [Finland or Norway] and the guy paid over $13,000 for the guitar when all was said and done; over $2500 of that was tax.

Is there an exclusion/reduction for items of a certain age?  I know in some areas, it is extremely expensive to buy/register new cars, but extremely cheap for old/antique cars. 
In Japan they have the opposite.  Old cars are super expensive to own because of registration and emissions regulation exemptions.

That's mostly a program to support their domestic automakers.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

neverrun

• Bristles
« Reply #17555 on: May 04, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »
It's extremely frustrating, but it seems like the cycle is being set up to repeat itself:
I have a beautiful young lady on my team at work.  She would be about 22 yrs old, earns about $40K/year...

Her master plan is to find a high earning young man to look after her.   It makes me sad.  She is bright and could easily be a self sufficient young woman.   

I feel like that many times leads to what was mentioned earlier in this thread:

...The coworker had just divorced her husband who, as a head of a hospital wing, was bringing in over half a million dollars a year... So they divorced, the judge didn't award alimony, and she had to go back to work after many years of staying at home.  She landed in my group, earning less than one tenth of what her ex used to bring home. 
...boy, dealing with a fallen socialite is something I will not miss.

Hopefully you can influence her onto the path of self sufficiency! FWIW, I'm a male engineer and some of the brightest people I know are independent female engineers that work at my company.

I feel like female engineers have much more drive than their male counterparts in most cases.  They are out to prove they can hack it in what is traditionally male dominated.  My wife is one and she has issues with RE b/c of the drive to prove she can do it all ... many others i run into are quite similar.  - more so in the millenial generation than previous generations as well.  maybe its not true everywhere but alot of the older been around the block female engineers i run into are space taker uppers b/c they know they are satisfying a diversification spot just being there.

Reminds me of a "small talk" conversation with a male boss from another office recently.  I'm not an engineer but am in a Male dominated industry.  He mentioned that he notices we women seemed to really say what we mean.  Umm myself and the other woman he was talking about are "senior" (have been in the industry for 10+ years) I'm not sure when it happens but after having to continually prove ourselves sometime between 5-15 years in you develop a case of the "I don't give a fucks" with a lot of office politics/small talk.

ETA:  early on in my career I had a boss tell me I should modify the way I talk, "stop talking like a girl" because guys don't want to deal with their wives at work.  I didn't report him because he honestly thought that he was giving me solid career advise.  It was hard to take him seriously after that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:13:55 AM by neverrun »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17556 on: May 04, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »

Not quite. It was actually a Mercedes, and there's a lot of money to be made in exporting certain models.

http://jalopnik.com/new-jersey-dealer-refuses-sale-of-mercedes-to-indian-ma-1784946862

My mistake on the car.

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #17557 on: May 04, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »
Guy at work who lives in Arizona, said his electric bill over the summer is $600 a month because his kids are home all day. I know it's hot there but still...no outdoor activities? Hanging out at their pool all day? Summer camp?

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17558 on: May 04, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
Guy at work who lives in Arizona, said his electric bill over the summer is $600 a month because his kids are home all day. I know it's hot there but still...no outdoor activities? Hanging out at their pool all day? Summer camp?

When we lived in Arizona our electric bill was never over ~$200, and was usually much less during the summer. And we didn't even turn up the thermostat when we were at work during the day...

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17559 on: May 04, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
Maybe they have a *chilled* pool! :P

(FWIW, chilled pools *are* a thing.  On a business trip to Qatar, I saw a hotel or high rise that advertised its chilled pool.  Yes, it gets hot/humid enough  (120 degrees, 90% humidity) there that you actually need to cool your pool down)

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17560 on: May 04, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »

(FWIW, chilled pools *are* a thing.  On a business trip to Qatar, I saw a hotel or high rise that advertised its chilled pool.  Yes, it gets hot/humid enough  (120 degrees, 90% humidity) there that you actually need to cool your pool down)

Could you use the excess heat in the pool to generate electricity, cooling it down in the process?

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17561 on: May 04, 2017, 01:19:56 PM »

Could you use the excess heat in the pool to generate electricity, cooling it down in the process?
Only if you have some large, cool mass to transfer the heat into

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17562 on: May 04, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »

Only if you have some large, cool mass to transfer the heat into

What kind of loser only has one pool? Obviously you cool the outdoor pool by transferring the heat into the indoor pool, which you cool in turn with the house's air conditioning. Duh.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17563 on: May 04, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »
That likely was not an "Import Tax" but the VAT, which is 24% in Finland.
Of course if you import things then that VAT is applied as import tax, because you can't put a VAT on imports. Legal nitpicking.

Oh, didn't know that Finland had a lower VAT.  In the rest of Scandinavia, it's 25% for most items. ;)

But for many cars, theres also additional taxes, which can be crazy high in e.g. Denmark and Norway.  Trust me, you don't want to know how high.  You might blow a fuse. 

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17564 on: May 04, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »
What kind of loser only has one pool? Obviously you cool the outdoor pool by transferring the heat into the indoor pool, which you cool in turn with the house's air conditioning. Duh.

No, no, no... What you do is leave the patio doors open so that the a/c spills out and cools the patio area which is outside and hot... ;)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17565 on: May 05, 2017, 12:47:25 AM »

No, no, no... What you do is leave the patio doors open so that the a/c spills out and cools the patio area which is outside and hot... ;)

Dubai has air-conditioned bus shelters. They already air-condition outside.

CptCool

• Stubble
« Reply #17566 on: May 05, 2017, 09:58:44 AM »

Dubai has air-conditioned bus shelters. They already air-condition outside.

Here in MN we have some bus stops that you push a button to turn on a heater in the wintertime - so I guess it's not that different

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17567 on: May 05, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
It boggles my mind that people choose to live (or continue living) in places like that where the weather is so inhospitable that you can't even wait at a bus shelter without risking heat stroke or frost bite. I'll take my high cost of housing with my perfect weather over that nonsense any day of the week.
"It'll be great!"

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #17568 on: May 05, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
Here is one more for you.

Remember I was telling about my 66 year old colleague with a car loan? Well, we had a nice chat and turned out that he actually wants (!) to retire! To my question why was he still working, he answered that he actually applied for Social Security and started receiving a check but sends it in full to pay off his "debts". Obviously he has more than car loan to pay off. I was actually surprised that you can continue working, receiving salary and start receiving social security. Interesting..

Another colleague just turned 65 and plans to retire in a month! I congratulated her and told "Freedom!!" )). In reply she was not that enthusiastic. I questioned that and she told that she would need to continue working at least part time to avoid poverty. Me - ??? She told that she was eligible for social security and had Pension Plan from our employer. I suggested that her 401K plan would be very useful to avoid working. She told that she did not have one!! "I made bad choices earlier in my life. O well.." - was her reply. Amazing!

MichaelB

• Stubble
  • FIRE goal: April 2032
« Reply #17569 on: May 05, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
Here is one more for you.

Remember I was telling about my 66 year old colleague with a car loan? Well, we had a nice chat and turned out that he actually wants (!) to retire! To my question why was he still working, he answered that he actually applied for Social Security and started receiving a check but sends it in full to pay off his "debts". Obviously he has more than car loan to pay off. I was actually surprised that you can continue working, receiving salary and start receiving social security. Interesting..

Another colleague just turned 65 and plans to retire in a month! I congratulated her and told "Freedom!!" )). In reply she was not that enthusiastic. I questioned that and she told that she would need to continue working at least part time to avoid poverty. Me - ??? She told that she was eligible for social security and had Pension Plan from our employer. I suggested that her 401K plan would be very useful to avoid working. She told that she did not have one!! "I made bad choices earlier in my life. O well.." - was her reply. Amazing!

More like depressing.

CptCool

• Stubble
« Reply #17570 on: May 05, 2017, 10:52:43 AM »
It boggles my mind that people choose to live (or continue living) in places like that where the weather is so inhospitable that you can't even wait at a bus shelter without risking heat stroke or frost bite. I'll take my high cost of housing with my perfect weather over that nonsense any day of the week.

Haha that's fair. I don't mind cold because it's extremely easy to just put on a layer or two. Can't stand the heat though because you can only take off so many clothes.

I also can't imagine living without seasons my entire life - I "followed the summer" for a year by switching hemispheres traveling around the world and it was fun, but I learned I enjoy having different seasons

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #17571 on: May 05, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »

It's not like it's "inhospitable" all (or even most) of the time in any of these places.  Pshh, I biked in the winter; I see how inhospitable that was - everyone thought I was crazy.  But, last I checked, I still have all of my fingers, toes, etc.

Weather's a good thing to have on your side, but it's not the only thing.
<|> My Strava <|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17572 on: May 05, 2017, 11:47:46 AM »

On the flip side, the weather here, while always nice, is never exciting.  I miss things like a hot summer day suddenly dropping 20 degrees and knowing a killer thunderstorm is coming that's going to rattle the dishes in the cabinets.  Or 2 feet of beautiful fresh snowfall covering everything.
 And the change of seasons help create a feeling of the passage of time.  Time passes by quicker here, I've noticed, because it's always the same.  I can never complain about the weather in the bay area, but it's definitely not 'perfect' for everyone.

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17573 on: May 05, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »

Um... we have heaters in the shelters for the commuter train into Toronto.  But I wouldn't say that it's inhospitable to live here. That's harsh.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17574 on: May 05, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »

On the flip side, the weather here, while always nice, is never exciting.  I miss things like a hot summer day suddenly dropping 20 degrees and knowing a killer thunderstorm is coming that's going to rattle the dishes in the cabinets.  Or 2 feet of beautiful fresh snowfall covering everything.
 And the change of seasons help create a feeling of the passage of time.  Time passes by quicker here, I've noticed, because it's always the same.  I can never complain about the weather in the bay area, but it's definitely not 'perfect' for everyone.

It's hard to appreciate good weather without bad weather.  I've always lived somewhere with seasons, and so I've always had the excitement of a warm spring day, enjoyed the ritual of getting the lawn mower out and putting the snowblower away, looked forward to the first top down drive, savored that one or two nice days in late February that you know won't last, etc.  Similarly, there's the bittersweet crisp fall days that show a let-up of the summer heat, the beauty of the foliage, the bundling up in sweaters and sweatshirts after a summer of shorts and tshirts.  There are activities that feel 'wrong' in the warmth, like sitting in the stands watching football or raking leaves or drinking a bourbon by a fire.  Yeah, by the time March rolls around winter sucks, but that doesn't mean the first real snowfall in December or January isn't beautiful and fun to play around in with the kids.  I fantasize about living in San Diego or Hawaii, but I know I'd miss real seasons. 
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17575 on: May 05, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »

Um... we have heaters in the shelters for the commuter train into Toronto.  But I wouldn't say that it's inhospitable to live here. That's harsh.

Ours have heat lamps. And hopefully your stop has a shelter.

I've lived though 2 very nasty Chicago winters, 1 mild one, and two that can only be described as WTF. All things considered, I'll take the nasty ones. And this is from somebody from New Mexico who is pretty sensitive to cold. And I'll take the cold over the humidity any day of the week.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17576 on: May 05, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »
Like many things in life, I imagine a lot of what we prefer is related to what we grew up with and what we are used to. I spent a winter living in the Denver area and a year in France, both places admittedly have relatively wild weather, but still harsher than what I grew up with. As a kid I would read about snow and thought it sounded so fun and romantic. I completely agree that heat sucks because you can only take off so many clothes and if you are still hot, all you can do is suffer. If you have the right clothes, cold can be okay, as long as you don't have to shovel or scrape or drive.

I travel regularly though not frequent for work across the US. I have only ever been on one trip where I wasn't immensely grateful to be back home again after, and that was this lovely boondoggle trip to the San Juan islands. :) I certainly hear people appreciate four seasons and more power to you. It is way more important to me to never have to think about what measures I have to take to mentally and physically steel myself to fight the uncomfortable elements. The older I get the greater a source of joy that is for me. Again, to each their own.
"It'll be great!"

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #17577 on: May 05, 2017, 04:57:50 PM »
I fantasize about living in San Diego or Hawaii, but I know I'd miss real seasons.

We have seasons in San Diego!
- Fish Taco season
- Carne Asada season
- Guacamole season
- Craft Beer season

If it's weather you're after, it changes too! We have nice, nicer, and excellent weather.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #17578 on: May 05, 2017, 10:58:52 PM »
It's extremely frustrating, but it seems like the cycle is being set up to repeat itself:
I have a beautiful young lady on my team at work.  She would be about 22 yrs old, earns about $40K/year...

Her master plan is to find a high earning young man to look after her.   It makes me sad.  She is bright and could easily be a self sufficient young woman.   

...The coworker had just divorced her husband who, as a head of a hospital wing, was bringing in over half a million dollars a year... So they divorced, the judge didn't award alimony, and she had to go back to work after many years of staying at home.  She landed in my group, earning less than one tenth of what her ex used to bring home. 

Hopefully you can influence her onto the path of self sufficiency! FWIW, I'm a male engineer and some of the brightest people I know are independent female engineers that work at my company.

I feel like female engineers have much more drive than their male counterparts in most cases.  They are out to prove they can hack it in what is traditionally male dominated.  My wife is one and she has issues with RE b/c of the drive to prove she can do it all ... many others i run into are quite similar.  - more so in the millenial generation than previous generations as well.  maybe its not true everywhere but alot of the older been around the block female engineers i run into are space taker uppers b/c they know they are satisfying a diversification spot just being there.

Reminds me of a "small talk" conversation with a male boss from another office recently.  I'm not an engineer but am in a Male dominated industry.  He mentioned that he notices we women seemed to really say what we mean.  Umm myself and the other woman he was talking about are "senior" (have been in the industry for 10+ years) I'm not sure when it happens but after having to continually prove ourselves sometime between 5-15 years in you develop a case of the "I don't give a fucks" with a lot of office politics/small talk.

ETA:  early on in my career I had a boss tell me I should modify the way I talk, "stop talking like a girl" because guys don't want to deal with their wives at work.  I didn't report him because he honestly thought that he was giving me solid career advise.  It was hard to take him seriously after that.

In fairness it's also hard to take a person seriously if they're trying to communicate in baby talk using words like "tummy", "brekkie" and "vacay". It's even worse when they're making their voices artificially high and infantile, and ending? each phrase? with a rising inflection? as though they're asking a question? in an obvious attempt to act insignificant, nonthreatening, and therefore incompetent. I have yet to meet a person who identifies as male be that obviously beta.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #17579 on: May 06, 2017, 02:35:53 AM »
Coworker who makes about 85K/year. Recently sold her duplex which was only a couple miles from work because she was getting married and going to start a family (her unit was a 2 bed/2 bath, probably 1100 sf). Bought a 400K+ "dream house" in the countryside with space for her two horses to live in the backyard (or whatever you call your backyard when it has horses living in it).

"We'll be making a monthly payment to the hospital for, like, the rest of our lives. No, seriously. For like the next 50 years. It's an $80K bill."

This bill is for anti venom for a snake bite that her now husband incurred at their OLD, awesome duplex house, before they got married, when he didn't have health insurance. And they STILL bought the far-away, big dream house. Bummer.

I got bit by a snake while in my backyard.  Anti-venom bill for that was 160k   Total bill was 180k.  Thank God I had insurance from a previous job where they offered severance and benefit continuation, along with the insurance at my new job.  I didn't pay a nickel

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17580 on: May 06, 2017, 03:00:46 AM »
Coworker who makes about 85K/year. Recently sold her duplex which was only a couple miles from work because she was getting married and going to start a family (her unit was a 2 bed/2 bath, probably 1100 sf). Bought a 400K+ "dream house" in the countryside with space for her two horses to live in the backyard (or whatever you call your backyard when it has horses living in it).

"We'll be making a monthly payment to the hospital for, like, the rest of our lives. No, seriously. For like the next 50 years. It's an $80K bill."

This bill is for anti venom for a snake bite that her now husband incurred at their OLD, awesome duplex house, before they got married, when he didn't have health insurance. And they STILL bought the far-away, big dream house. Bummer.

I got bit by a snake while in my backyard.  Anti-venom bill for that was 160k   Total bill was 180k.  Thank God I had insurance from a previous job where they offered severance and benefit continuation, along with the insurance at my new job.  I didn't pay a nickel
Holy crap! I had no idea antivenom was that expensive! I wasn't scared of snakes before, but I might consider it now.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17581 on: May 06, 2017, 07:44:05 AM »
There is a side business right there. Raising snakes and collecting venom. (No thanks...)

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17582 on: May 06, 2017, 08:19:56 AM »

Shoot, we dropped 40 degrees in 10-12 hours recently.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17583 on: May 06, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »

Shoot, we dropped 40 degrees in 10-12 hours recently.

This happens all the time in Colorado. 80 degrees one day, snow the next.
My Log

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17584 on: May 07, 2017, 01:49:52 AM »
In fairness it's also hard to take a person seriously if they're trying to communicate in baby talk using words like "tummy", "brekkie" and "vacay". It's even worse when they're making their voices artificially high and infantile, and ending? each phrase? with a rising inflection? as though they're asking a question? in an obvious attempt to act insignificant, nonthreatening, and therefore incompetent. I have yet to meet a person who identifies as male be that obviously beta.

1. Don't come to Australia. If the garbos get a sore tummy from eating an off avo for brekkie, they might need an ambo.
2. While I don't consider all abbreviations to be baby talk, I'm with you on chronic baby talk and the rising inflection.

http://www.askamanager.org/2013/05/how-to-get-an-employee-to-stop-using-baby-talk-in-the-office.html

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17585 on: May 07, 2017, 01:51:29 AM »

1. Don't come to Australia. If the garbos get a sore tummy from eating an off avo for brekkie, they might need an ambo.
2. While I don't consider all abbreviations to be baby talk, I'm with you on chronic baby talk and the rising inflection.

http://www.askamanager.org/2013/05/how-to-get-an-employee-to-stop-using-baby-talk-in-the-office.html

Ps. I'm devo* that Marty isn't here to back me up on this. (He's on adventure in Bostwana.)

* Full disclosure: I can't stand this expression!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17586 on: May 07, 2017, 06:47:05 AM »
Like many things in life, I imagine a lot of what we prefer is related to what we grew up with and what we are used to. I spent a winter living in the Denver area and a year in France, both places admittedly have relatively wild weather, but still harsher than what I grew up with. As a kid I would read about snow and thought it sounded so fun and romantic. I completely agree that heat sucks because you can only take off so many clothes and if you are still hot, all you can do is suffer. If you have the right clothes, cold can be okay, as long as you don't have to shovel or scrape or drive.

I travel regularly though not frequent for work across the US. I have only ever been on one trip where I wasn't immensely grateful to be back home again after, and that was this lovely boondoggle trip to the San Juan islands. :) I certainly hear people appreciate four seasons and more power to you. It is way more important to me to never have to think about what measures I have to take to mentally and physically steel myself to fight the uncomfortable elements. The older I get the greater a source of joy that is for me. Again, to each their own.

You have major earthquake prep instead.    ;-)
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17587 on: May 07, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »

I have a (male) coworker who does that (plus the occasional exaggerated lispy voice, e.g. "Thtaaaap ihhht").

Fortunately he's not here today, so I can work in peace. :D

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17588 on: May 07, 2017, 03:00:18 PM »
After my servitude with Ginormocorp ends, I hope to whatever deity is out there that I NEVER hear these expressions again:

Cool beans
Cool-cool
Awesomesauce--this one in particular can go die in a fire
"I know THAT'S right"
Miss or Mister (name) (WTF, I'm not your owner)

In addition:

Grown women speaking in baby talk
Grown men whining
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:06:36 PM by MandalayVA »
Follow my road to semi-FIRE here:  The Road To Mandalay

Post-corporate life blog: Mandalay At Play  Latest entry: We Now Return You To Civilization

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17589 on: May 08, 2017, 10:08:17 AM »
There is a side business right there. Raising snakes and collecting venom. (No thanks...)

All profit could go right out the window with one bite. Or would you get a discount for being in the supply chain?

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17590 on: May 08, 2017, 10:45:35 AM »
After my servitude with Ginormocorp ends...

That is a great way of putting it. I'm definitely stealing this.
My Log

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17591 on: May 08, 2017, 11:11:04 AM »

I used to hear this growing up in the 80s. Usually well off women who stayed at home (no career). Was a friendly greeting to reach out to each other. Like a clique thing.  We didn't do this with our kids, do do this to the family dog sometimes. Can't imagine doing it in a professional setting.

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #17592 on: May 08, 2017, 08:18:44 PM »

When I lived in Southern California (where the residents obsess about the fantastic weather as if it's the most amazing thing possible) I used to say, "Nice weather doesn't make up for mean people!" (I found Southern Californians to be rather selfish). I then moved to the Pacific Northwest, where the weather is terrible and the people are amazing! And that's when I realized that nice weather DOES kind of make up for mean people! ;)

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17593 on: May 09, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »
In l fairness, as a Bay Area native, I can say that southern California is practically a different state. :)

Back to the earthquake comment, that is a risk, but something that happens every decade or two or three. Bad weather is something you deal with all day, day after day. I've been here almost all of my life and have lived through two major earthquakes. Obviously you can't predict which fault will go next, but there is a lot you can do to prepare with earthquake retrofitting, not doing silly things like having lots of glass figurines in a free-standing cabinet, and buying insurance.
"It'll be great!"

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17594 on: May 09, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »

When I lived in Southern California (where the residents obsess about the fantastic weather as if it's the most amazing thing possible) I used to say, "Nice weather doesn't make up for mean people!" (I found Southern Californians to be rather selfish). I then moved to the Pacific Northwest, where the weather is terrible and the people are amazing! And that's when I realized that nice weather DOES kind of make up for mean people! ;)
True that.  I had a hard time when I moved here (Central/ So Cal).  Everyone I met talked about how "awesome" and "friendly" they were.

But it was all superficial.  Not actually friendly.  It took awhile to make friends.  Mostly my friends were grad students, but they kept graduating.  The locals are a hard nut to crack.

nnls

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17595 on: May 09, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »

Ps. I'm devo* that Marty isn't here to back me up on this. (He's on adventure in Bostwana.)

* Full disclosure: I can't stand this expression!

I will back you up, Aussies abbreviate most things, and I have been told by both Americans and British that we end phrases with a rising inflection like we are asking questions. I am not sure if that's true though

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17596 on: May 09, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »

I will back you up, Aussies abbreviate most things, and I have been told by both Americans and British that we end phrases with a rising inflection like we are asking questions. I am not sure if that's true though ?

Fixed the punctuation for you.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17597 on: May 09, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »

I will back you up, Aussies abbreviate most things, and I have been told by both Americans and British that we end phrases with a rising inflection like we are asking questions. I am not sure if that's true though ?

You'd feel right at home in Canada, eh?
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

kayvent

• Bristles
« Reply #17598 on: May 09, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »

You'd feel right at home in Canada, eh?

What are you talking aboot?

neverrun

• Bristles
« Reply #17599 on: May 09, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »
I love that we assume I was talking baby talk, I've never done so in my life.  I also don't end my statements with a question.  Nope I'm not exactly sure how I talked like a girl.