Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252654 times)

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17500 on: May 19, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »
for some strange reason my CW feels the need to give updates as to when the planned conception date of his first child will be. I have never asked for this information btw. Anyways, his wife is demanding a baby but they decided not to try until next year because it will be better financially. Wife doesn't work and CW is in a new job he sucks at and really should be fired from, and he knows full well our boss doesn't like him.  they are currently getting a living stipend from their elderly parents because CW's salary apparently is not enough to support their combined spending habits, but this is supposed to be the last year for realz about the living stipend, they are supposed to get cut off and be on their own next year so they need to save more.

CW's wife's best friend accidentally got pregnant by some guy she just started dating. The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

Reason and financial preparation: out the window!

But in reality, I'm sure CW knows the living stipend from the family will just get extended so no big deal. Free money!

I'm trying to cut back my use of the word hate because I think we throw it about too much.

But I mean it when I say I now HATE these people.

I have SO many stories about this dude, you will hate him even more. Don't worry. He's the main reason I joined the forum. I just need to share.

Believe me, I've had some pretty anti-mustacian coworkers in my time, but this guy is officially THE worst. Doesn't help that he is an over-sharer which gives me more material to judge him.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17501 on: May 19, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »
Wife doesn't work and CW is in a new job he sucks at and really should be fired from, and he knows full well our boss doesn't like him.

They aren't FI, have no kids, and she isn't working?

Doesn't work, CW says she has no experience working and even if she tried to get a job she could probably only make $20k a year. So apparently that is reason enough to not ever try? She spends her days following a creative "passion", but in reality, she calls CW about 5 times per day to talk about whatever happens to be on her mind at the time (she witnessed a car accident, her back hurts, she went on a walk and saw a neighbor who she didn't know, etc.).

The kicker is those two complete and utter dumbasses live in a fancy house, go on very lavish vacations, have new cars, spend money on all kinds of junk carefree and don't ever worry about it. Why? Because of the elderly family members who own their house and give them living stipends and pay for their vacations on top of the stipend. I think CW only works bc the family requires it for the living stipend, wrongly assuming that one day CW and wife will be responsible enough to manage their finances on their own.

I'm not going to lie, it makes me extremely jealous. I secretly can't wait for these elderly rich family members to die so they will wake up and deal with reality. But for all I know they may just get some huge cash windfall.

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #17502 on: May 19, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »
It kind of reminds me of 2 other coworkers,  neither of whom ever cook, each bought $500 vitamix blenders over a year ago and have never used them.

I have friends who bought an Instant Pot from Amazon right around Black Friday last year when they were on super-duper sale - great, right? Except it's still in the box, they've never used it. I'm wondering how long I have to wait to ask them if they'd sell it to me.

To be fair, the Black Friday sale was an amazing deal. I love my Instant Pot and use it for a ton of different dishes. We bought my parents one on Black Friday as a gift. They were contemplating buying their own because we spoke so highly of it and they use theirs frequently as well :)

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17503 on: May 20, 2017, 06:16:41 AM »
A co-worker recently told me that he still lives at home with his parents (he's in his 30s). I was kind of shocked by that, but trying to be polite I said well at least you must be saving a ton of money! He shrugged and said not really, I'm bad at saving money.

HOW. How could you spend all your money when you don't even have living expenses?  It just blows my mind, and I know this guy makes at least $60k a year.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17504 on: May 20, 2017, 06:44:49 AM »
A co-worker recently told me that he still lives at home with his parents (he's in his 30s). I was kind of shocked by that, but trying to be polite I said well at least you must be saving a ton of money! He shrugged and said not really, I'm bad at saving money.

HOW. How could you spend all your money when you don't even have living expenses?  It just blows my mind, and I know this guy makes at least $60k a year.

That is crazy. I've been unfortunate (or maybe fortunate?) to work in a field with very few jobs anywhere near my parent's house. But if I was able to live at home and work professionally, I think I'd set a 65% SR goal as a minimum.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17505 on: May 20, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »
I had a GoLite jacket like that- I wore it backpacking, to work, everywhere for ~6 years. I even had to re-waterproof it twice. Eventually I got some holes in it, so I threw it away. I figured 6-7 years of use was pretty good.

My teenager stills wears two of my jackets. One from the 80s and one from the 90s.

What's wrong with old clothes? ;)

Ha. I wear one of my Dad's jackets from 40+ years ago. Similar to this one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/525106577/60s70s-vintage-trucker-jacket-size-s-jc?ref=market

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #17506 on: May 21, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »
I like it!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17507 on: May 21, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »
I like it!

Thanks! I should have noted while that is the style and vintage, mine is Made in the USA, not Mexico.

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #17508 on: May 21, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »
It kind of reminds me of 2 other coworkers,  neither of whom ever cook, each bought $500 vitamix blenders over a year ago and have never used them.

I have friends who bought an Instant Pot from Amazon right around Black Friday last year when they were on super-duper sale - great, right? Except it's still in the box, they've never used it. I'm wondering how long I have to wait to ask them if they'd sell it to me.

To be fair, the Black Friday sale was an amazing deal. I love my Instant Pot and use it for a ton of different dishes. We bought my parents one on Black Friday as a gift. They were contemplating buying their own because we spoke so highly of it and they use theirs frequently as well :)

I second this. My friends highly recommended it during the Black Friday deal and we and a ton of our friends bought it. We use multiple times in a day.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17509 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »

I second this. My friends highly recommended it during the Black Friday deal and we and a ton of our friends bought it. We use multiple times in a day.

We have one and use it all the time, it was a great buy. My mother bought one and it is still in the box, that was a crap buy.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17510 on: May 21, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »

I kind of identify with this, actually--but for a different reason.

I also bought an Instant Pot around Black Friday (I'd had my eye on them for some time and was waiting for the magic moment), but when I got it I discovered I was afraid to use it!  My only experience with pressure cookers was the rickety old one my grandmother used--I was always afraid it was going to explode whenever canning season came around.  While I bought it at Thanksgiving, I didn't acquire the courage to open the thing until around Valentine's Day.

Now I use it all the time.  :)

jane8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17511 on: May 21, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »

CW should invest in a 2nd nespresso machine for work.  Seriously, I do have access to one at work, and am thinking of buying their base $99 model when I transfer to a new office.

I purchased this base model a few months back and love it. Thought about it for over a year before pulling the trigger and am glad I did. FYI, I purchased mine off Amazon. Had it on my wish list forever. One day i pulled it up and lo Amazon was offering a 24 or 48 hour 20% off discount (they have a name for it but I forget what it is). I figured they probably just saw me stalking the listing for so long they felt sorry for me (lol, no not really)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17512 on: May 22, 2017, 02:51:09 AM »
A colleague commented that $9 for takeaway soup was a good deal.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17513 on: May 22, 2017, 05:35:42 AM »
Depends on what and how much he got. For 5 people bursting?

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #17514 on: May 22, 2017, 06:06:21 AM »
5 people bursting?

Could be a line in a warped version of the 12 days of Christmas.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17515 on: May 22, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »

Haha! I bought two of them on Black Friday two years ago. One lives on the counter, the other in my pantry. They see each other frequently. It happened because I wanted the 8-quart unit, but the BF sale was so good it was cheaper to buy two of the 6-quart size. I thought it was silly at the time, but I like to batch cook for our family of four adults. It's worked out surprisingly well.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17516 on: May 22, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »

I discovered the IP in early December. Didn't want to wait the better part of a year for this marvel. Bought in January with a $100 Amazon credit I was gifted, so $30 out of pocket. No regrets. It has saved me far more than $130 in the 16 months I've had it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17517 on: May 22, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »

I discovered the IP in early December. Didn't want to wait the better part of a year for this marvel. Bought in January with a $100 Amazon credit I was gifted, so $30 out of pocket. No regrets. It has saved me far more than $130 in the 16 months I've had it.

Anyone want to send me IP recipes? I have one and I've found myself mostly using it as a rice cooker and slow cooker. The only thing I've really used the pressure cooker setting on has been cooking raw beans. I would like to use it more often, especially now that I've taken up meal prepping.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17518 on: May 22, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »

Anyone want to send me IP recipes? I have one and I've found myself mostly using it as a rice cooker and slow cooker. The only thing I've really used the pressure cooker setting on has been cooking raw beans. I would like to use it more often, especially now that I've taken up meal prepping.

I'm pretty improvisational with mine--I just Google whatever ingredients I have on hand + Instant Pot. I also use the little manual that came with it for cooking times for grains and meats. There's a forum thread that might help you, however: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/instant-pot-recipes/

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17519 on: May 22, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »
^Thanks for posting this. I have a separate rice cooker and slowcooker (both heavily used), so I can't bring myself to spend money on an IP yet. But once either of those breaks, it'll be the first thing I buy.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17520 on: May 22, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »
^Thanks for posting this. I have a separate rice cooker and slowcooker (both heavily used), so I can't bring myself to spend money on an IP yet. But once either of those breaks, it'll be the first thing I buy.
Haha, my broken rice cooker was actually what pushed me to the IP.

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #17521 on: May 22, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

This has to be the most absurd thing I have heard in a long long time!!! Seriously can't believe it. How is having a children  before a friend important unless they are contenders for crown of any sovereign?

Any here's my contribution to the mix.
CW was telling me how he is unable to save enough because the expenses can simply not be reduced. One question lead to another before I was blessed with two very sage advice
1. You should always buy a house for future even if it is beyond your purse because your income will keep on growing.
2. No mortgage should be below 30 years so that the EMI doesn't pinch as much and you can save maximum tax on the interest you pay.

The same CW told us how wise his decision to top up his personal loan (~9-10%) to pay for his marriage was instead of taking a personal loan (12-14%).

The same person has asked us multiple times how we manage to travel extensively without breaking bank. His 'honey moon' was 10 days in India was more expensive(~1700$) than our week long trip to Indonesia and we paid around 7-800$ in international flights and lived in quite fancy(for us) accomodation.

So, I know that India and Indonesia are less expensive than Europe or many US destinations, but wow! I think both of your trips were quite inexpensive....are you flying out of the US? I have trouble finding relatively direct flights between US locations roundtrip for 2 for less than $1k. I don't "travel hack" flights, but generally pay for 50-100% of my hotels with reward points and our week long vacations are usually more than either of these...

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #17522 on: May 22, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
To stay on track, coworker was explaining his woes of our employer being slow to reimburse him for work related expenses..

CW: "It just sucks that they haven't reimbursed me yet."
Civex: "Yeah, its been over a month, I'd be irritated, too"
CW: "Yeah, my wife has really been getting after me because its on the CC and I'm paying 20%+ interest...."

CW makes >$150k/year and the reimbursement is less than $1k...like just pay it off and wait for the check!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17523 on: May 22, 2017, 09:50:23 PM »
Haha, my broken rice cooker was actually what pushed me to the IP.
Me too!  However, my IP has almost completely replaced both my slow cooker and (broken) rice cooker.

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #17524 on: May 22, 2017, 10:55:31 PM »

The wife is now extremely jealous they are having a baby before her-- and they aren't even married! So now CW and wife are trying to have a baby ASAP to soothe wife's jealousy and keep up with the BFF.

The same person has asked us multiple times how we manage to travel extensively without breaking bank. His 'honey moon' was 10 days in India was more expensive(~1700$) than our week long trip to Indonesia and we paid around 7-800$ in international flights and lived in quite fancy(for us) accommodation.

So, I know that India and Indonesia are less expensive than Europe or many US destinations, but wow! I think both of your trips were quite inexpensive....are you flying out of the US? I have trouble finding relatively direct flights between US locations round trip for 2 for less than $1k. I don't "travel hack" flights, but generally pay for 50-100% of my hotels with reward points and our week long vacations are usually more than either of these...
We live in India and because we were booking last minute paid a shit ton for return flights to Indonesia. Had we been flying out of the US that would have set us back by quite a bit.
He lives in the same city as us and 1700$ is more than enough to visit the area multiple times in fact when we spent around 400$ for a week long trip including flights to the same destination we were quite bummed having spent a lot of money.

We have till date traveled mostly in SE Asia (except for Maldives) and are yet to break the 1500$ barrier including flights and diving. We eat local (with suitable adjustment for vegetarian me) trust smaller guesthouses and hostels more than resorts and hotels and use public transport. Airbnb was a great deal in Cambodia last month.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #17525 on: May 23, 2017, 08:02:03 AM »
To stay on track, coworker was explaining his woes of our employer being slow to reimburse him for work related expenses..

CW: "It just sucks that they haven't reimbursed me yet."
Civex: "Yeah, its been over a month, I'd be irritated, too"
CW: "Yeah, my wife has really been getting after me because its on the CC and I'm paying 20%+ interest...."

CW makes >$150k/year and the reimbursement is less than $1k...like just pay it off and wait for the check!

How do you restrain yourself from delivering multiple dope-slaps? ;)

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17526 on: May 23, 2017, 05:53:40 PM »
To be fair a decent number of people at my work bring their lunch, even though most of them still buy coffee and breakfast out. But, in my department pretty much everyone buys lunch out every day. Today a co-worker bought pasta and showed me the takeout box, which admittedly was super full. It was enough for two large servings. She commented: this was a great deal! only $9!

All I could think in my head was...that's about 40 cents worth pasta, 10 cents worth sauce, 25 cents worth mushrooms, and max 10 cents in spices. You got politely mugged.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:57:01 PM by rdaneel0 »

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17527 on: May 23, 2017, 06:14:39 PM »
I had a coworker ask me recently if I thought it would be worthwhile for them to enroll in the company offered 401k.  This coworker is in their mid 40s and has been at the company for 15 years.

Another coworker overheard us and asked, completely sincerely, "wait, do we have to sign up for it?  I never did and they take money out of my paycheck for it every month."   Apparently this coworker was under the impression that the 'benefits' category in their paystub referred to their 401K.  I had to break the news that it was money they were paying for their health insurance.  That coworker has been at the company for over 7 years. 

I have been at this company for a significantly shorter time than both of them and enrolled in the 401K the day my paperwork went through.

So as a followup to this one... the coworker who didn't realize they were NOT enrolled in the 401K apparently enrolled now.
They came in to work this week and said "they take out so much of my check for retirement!."
I informed them that they could simply choose a lower percentage.

They then responded with....
"I'm just going to stop them from taking any money out.  I don't want to be poor."

Sigh.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17528 on: May 23, 2017, 06:23:13 PM »
I had a coworker ask me recently if I thought it would be worthwhile for them to enroll in the company offered 401k.  This coworker is in their mid 40s and has been at the company for 15 years.

Another coworker overheard us and asked, completely sincerely, "wait, do we have to sign up for it?  I never did and they take money out of my paycheck for it every month."   Apparently this coworker was under the impression that the 'benefits' category in their paystub referred to their 401K.  I had to break the news that it was money they were paying for their health insurance.  That coworker has been at the company for over 7 years. 

I have been at this company for a significantly shorter time than both of them and enrolled in the 401K the day my paperwork went through.

So as a followup to this one... the coworker who didn't realize they were NOT enrolled in the 401K apparently enrolled now.
They came in to work this week and said "they take out so much of my check for retirement!."

"I'm just going to stop them from taking any money out.  I don't want to be poor."

Sigh.

It's unfortunate that people don't seem to seem the link between not saving money and being poor, but worse yet invert it in this case with linking not being free to spend as being poor while not having anything saved wouldn't be poor.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17529 on: May 23, 2017, 07:20:59 PM »

Sigh.

It's unfortunate that people don't seem to seem the link between not saving money and being poor, but worse yet invert it in this case with linking not being free to spend as being poor while not having anything saved wouldn't be poor.

I could be delay more so than a disregard. If they are living paycheque to paycheque, the hit with the contribution MAY be making them poor (needing to incur debt or consume savings). In that sense, they would be totally accurate in their description. To you and I, our natural solution would be to cut expenses but to them the quickest and easiest solution may be to increase their income by forgoing saving.

The reason why I bring this up is that I recently read The Wealthy Barber Returns and he describes that many hordes of people have done this: saved up lots of money while accumulating HELOC and credit card debt. Without knowing MrDelane's CW, at least it doesn't sound like he will save while racking up debt.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:22:53 PM by kayvent »

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17530 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »

Sigh.

I think it is more so a delay than a disregard. If they are living paycheque to paycheque, the hit with the contribution MAY be making them poor (needing to incur debt or consume savings). In that sense, they would be totally accurate in their description. To you and I, our natural solution would be to cut expenses but to them the quickest and easiest solution may be to increase their income by forgoing saving.

The reason why I bring this up is that I recently read The Wealthy Barber Returns and he describes that many hordes of people have done this: saved up lots of money while accumulating HELOC and credit card debt. Without knowing MrDelane's CW, at least it doesn't sound like he will save while racking up debt.

You may be right on that.  This particular coworker is (I think) well paid. I can't imagine they are making less than 100K/year.  But, they literally pay for every single service you can imagine... they do not cook (ever), have a housekeeper, pay to get their laundry done, etc etc.

We've had a few conversations about it - but I'm proceeding with caution.  At least I was able to convince them to enroll in the 401K.  That was a huge step.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17531 on: May 23, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
Just tell them the 401k is a service. Problem solved.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17532 on: May 24, 2017, 06:14:23 AM »
I have a colleague who is otherwise quite frugal and brings his own lunch to work. BUT, he and his family are going to a Spa. This is a swimming pool with extra warm water and some bubble bath. He says he won't pay for any extra services because it is ridiculously expensive. But the spa itself is not cheap either. Another colleague who was in our room said that she would take all these extra services (mud on your face, massage, etc).

I have never paid for a Spa. Been in a hotel with a Spa when my company paid for it and been in the warm pool and the bubble bath. But paying myself for this? Really? No way!

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #17533 on: May 24, 2017, 06:26:34 AM »
In the office today, group of co-workers signing someone's retirement card:

CW1: 'Do you think I'm ever going to retire?'
Everyone laughs

He lives in the city, has 2 cars (1 per adult in his household), buys his lunch every day, complains he doesn't get paid enough. Last chat I heard, his partner had gone on a juicing diet where she had fresh juice *delivered* to their house 3 times a day. No mate you're not gonna retire.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17534 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:53 AM »
I have a colleague who is otherwise quite frugal and brings his own lunch to work. BUT, he and his family are going to a Spa. This is a swimming pool with extra warm water and some bubble bath. He says he won't pay for any extra services because it is ridiculously expensive. But the spa itself is not cheap either. Another colleague who was in our room said that she would take all these extra services (mud on your face, massage, etc).

I have never paid for a Spa. Been in a hotel with a Spa when my company paid for it and been in the warm pool and the bubble bath. But paying myself for this? Really? No way!

Eh, if this is their one vacation for the year, I can see it.  My sister is turning 30 this year, and I'm planning a spa day for the two of us.  I've never done one before, and it's probably not something I'll do again for a while, but I have money set aside for things like this.  I save in certain areas so I can splurge in others.  This will be one of the times I choose to splurge.  If he is frugal most of the time, this could have been one of his rare splurges.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17535 on: May 24, 2017, 07:44:11 AM »

Eh, if this is their one vacation for the year, I can see it.  My sister is turning 30 this year, and I'm planning a spa day for the two of us.  I've never done one before, and it's probably not something I'll do again for a while, but I have money set aside for things like this.  I save in certain areas so I can splurge in others.  This will be one of the times I choose to splurge.  If he is frugal most of the time, this could have been one of his rare splurges.
After high school, some girl friends from school and I would go to a spa to relax and catch up whenever any of us happened to be in town at the same time. I think it was something like $9 and we could stay there as long as we wanted using the baths and sauna. I mean it wasn't free, but it was much cheaper than going to a restaurant or bar.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17536 on: May 24, 2017, 07:46:02 AM »

Brilliant
:)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17537 on: May 24, 2017, 09:35:42 AM »

Brilliant
It is the age of the service economy. Saving as a service. SAAS. I like it.
Now sell that idea successfully...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17538 on: May 24, 2017, 10:50:52 AM »

After high school, some girl friends from school and I would go to a spa to relax and catch up whenever any of us happened to be in town at the same time. I think it was something like $9 and we could stay there as long as we wanted using the baths and sauna. I mean it wasn't free, but it was much cheaper than going to a restaurant or bar.

Is it sad that I am now thinking of having a spa day for myself? I might be good for me to pamper myself a little and I have the money to pay for it, though I would of course like to know what the total cost is first.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17539 on: May 24, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »

Brilliant

Savings As Support Service.  I shall give them SASS whether they like it or not.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17540 on: May 24, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
I honestly don't even know what a "spa day" is. Is it like...manicures and a facial treatment? I always thought this was something that was only in the movies (but they never actually show them as far as I remember), or for special occasions like your engagement party.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17541 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »
^I've paid to go into some natural hotsprings after a long day of hiking, but that's about it.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #17542 on: May 24, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »

Brilliant
You mean like
https://withplum.com/
?

Only one example

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #17543 on: May 24, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »
I honestly don't even know what a "spa day" is. Is it like...manicures and a facial treatment? I always thought this was something that was only in the movies (but they never actually show them as far as I remember), or for special occasions like your engagement party.

I did a spa day once as part of a bachelorette party for a girl at work about 12 years ago. It was $100 each, and we got to choose from various treatments, mud packs, massages, pedicures, etc. I chose the massage, hoping to get some work done on my tight neck muscles. I was put in a robe in a darkened, wood-paneled room with soothing music and scented candles. Then for about a 1/2 hour, a masseuse basically petted me and put hot rocks on my back. I kept hoping she'd do some deep-muscle massage, but it was all about being soothed and pampered. I thought about asking her if she could switch it up, but the request seemed too brutish for the refined ambiance of the room. Definitely not my style, and a complete waste of cash for me. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17544 on: May 24, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »

I did a spa day once as part of a bachelorette party for a girl at work about 12 years ago. It was $100 each, and we got to choose from various treatments, mud packs, massages, pedicures, etc. I chose the massage, hoping to get some work done on my tight neck muscles. I was put in a robe in a darkened, wood-paneled room with soothing music and scented candles. Then for about a 1/2 hour, a masseuse basically petted me and put hot rocks on my back. I kept hoping she'd do some deep-muscle massage, but it was all about being soothed and pampered. I thought about asking her if she could switch it up, but the request seemed too brutish for the refined ambiance of the room. Definitely not my style, and a complete waste of cash for me.

You either signed up for the wrong kind of massage, or else got a bad one. A big luxury, for sure, but totally worth it when done right.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #17545 on: May 24, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »

You either signed up for the wrong kind of massage, or else got a bad one. A big luxury, for sure, but totally worth it when done right.

The spa had just one selection for "massage". They did give me a form to fill out which included the type of massage I wanted. I specified "deep-muscle". So yeah, I guess I got a bad one. I've had deep-muscle massages before (for free, from a friend studying the trade) and they were great, if a little painful (hurts so good!).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17546 on: May 24, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »

The spa had just one selection for "massage". They did give me a form to fill out which included the type of massage I wanted. I specified "deep-muscle". So yeah, I guess I got a bad one. I've had deep-muscle massages before (for free, from a friend studying the trade) and they were great, if a little painful (hurts so good!).

I wish I had such friends! I would love to get a deep tissue massage for free.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #17547 on: May 24, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »

I wish I had such friends! I would love to get a deep tissue massage for free.

Well, it wasn't exactly free... ;-)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17548 on: May 24, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »
I'll second that deep tissue massages can be great. I have a cousin who is a professional masseuse and does great work. I typically trade other things besides cash (yard work, errands, give him some home brew, etc.) with him to get a massage here and there.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17549 on: May 25, 2017, 01:46:28 AM »
In the office today, group of co-workers signing someone's retirement card:

CW1: 'Do you think I'm ever going to retire?'
Everyone laughs

He lives in the city, has 2 cars (1 per adult in his household), buys his lunch every day, complains he doesn't get paid enough. Last chat I heard, his partner had gone on a juicing diet where she had fresh juice *delivered* to their house 3 times a day. No mate you're not gonna retire.
HFS

Delivered juice 3 times a day? When you have a car wher you can carry as much juice as you need for weeks from the shop to home?

No wait, this was a diet, right? You always do sports at diets, right?? So why the hell did she not walk to the shop 3 times a day???