Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5873607 times)

sw1tch

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17450 on: April 25, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »
We had an NYC event coordinator coming to my employer for a weekend event - definitely not in NYC.

She asked if someone was coming to get her from the airport. Okay. Then if someone would take her here and there and back and forth. Nice lady.

The obvious answer was to rent a car. Said she couldn't do that b/c she gave up her license years ago.

And then she took a job where she travels out of the city! ;)

Time to go get another license. You'll need it...

What about:
Uber/Lyft??
Taxi??
City bike??
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

MightyAl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17451 on: April 25, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
When I was in college and working at McDonalds, I used to eat two meals a day there.

One was the free meal we got for our shift and the other was from the food being thrown out because it was in the bin too long.   (That would be 7 to 15 minutes, for those of you thinking "days".)

That second meal wasn't really allowed, but we all (discreetly) did it anyway.

That really kept my food costs down during college, especially grad school when I had my own apartment.

I had a stint working at Papa John's when I was in a fraternity.  It wasn't uncommon to have 2+ pizzas that were ordered and never picked up that we were allowed to just take with us when we got off.

It was the one time in my life I was popular...

I ate a lot of bad food in college, but I'm not sure that even then I could eat Papa John's sober.

Of course, I wasn't sober for much of my college career, so it wouldn't have been an issue.

What makes Papa John's so much worse than all the other fast food pizza chains out there?

"All the other"... Well, in my mind there are only 3: Papa John's, Pizza Hut, and Domino's. Domino's is ok. Pizza Hut is ok. PJ's is horrible. The only redeeming quality is the hot pepper and the garlic sauce they put in there.

The big thing is that there is no reason to touch them, living in Chicagoland. I have the worlds best pizza here, no reason to go to a chain.

(and for inquiring minds, the best pizza is NOT Chicago style deep dish--though I do love that as well--it is Chicago style thin-crust)

You mean St. Louis style pizza.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #17452 on: April 25, 2017, 11:28:58 AM »
Sitting at lunch today, coworkers are talking about the expensive price of alcohol here (in Québec alcohol is price-hiked and managed by the province in order to collect taxes on it - it's much much more expensive than elsewhere in North America, beer being the exception).

CW 1: I think I could have bought a second house by now with the amount of money alcohol has cost me in my life so far.
CW 2: Ugh, me too, it's so ridiculously expensive. *wah wah* the government is robbing us blind.
CW 1: My wife tells me its a waste but she likes wine as much as I do.
CW 1 & CW 2: *Look at me.
Me: I'm not really a drinker, I don't care much for alcohol.
CW 3: Wow, you must be rich!
Me internally: yes, as we all are - alcohol is a luxury you f***heads, not a necessity.
Me out loud: rock climbing gear and camping weekends are expensive... that's my alcohol budget.
Me internally: no they aren't, not if you do it right. Quick, eat your sandwich, GET OUT!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17453 on: April 25, 2017, 11:54:46 AM »
When I was in college and working at McDonalds, I used to eat two meals a day there.

One was the free meal we got for our shift and the other was from the food being thrown out because it was in the bin too long.   (That would be 7 to 15 minutes, for those of you thinking "days".)

That second meal wasn't really allowed, but we all (discreetly) did it anyway.

That really kept my food costs down during college, especially grad school when I had my own apartment.

I had a stint working at Papa John's when I was in a fraternity.  It wasn't uncommon to have 2+ pizzas that were ordered and never picked up that we were allowed to just take with us when we got off.

It was the one time in my life I was popular...

I ate a lot of bad food in college, but I'm not sure that even then I could eat Papa John's sober.

Of course, I wasn't sober for much of my college career, so it wouldn't have been an issue.

What makes Papa John's so much worse than all the other fast food pizza chains out there?

"All the other"... Well, in my mind there are only 3: Papa John's, Pizza Hut, and Domino's. Domino's is ok. Pizza Hut is ok. PJ's is horrible. The only redeeming quality is the hot pepper and the garlic sauce they put in there.

The big thing is that there is no reason to touch them, living in Chicagoland. I have the worlds best pizza here, no reason to go to a chain.

(and for inquiring minds, the best pizza is NOT Chicago style deep dish--though I do love that as well--it is Chicago style thin-crust)

You mean St. Louis style pizza.

hahahhahahahahah

hahaha
ha
haha

ha

ha.

NO. Take your provell cheese and get the hell out of here.

PeggySue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17454 on: April 25, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »
I was talking with a new colleague, a Canadian citizen but working in the US.  She is pretty young and naive generally (first job, first time living away from home) and we started talking about health insurance.  She said that it was cheaper for her to fly home ($200 r/t) if she needed to see a doctor so she declined the health insurance we have through work (We have decent choices and a range of prices).  I asked her about accidents or something unexpected where she couldn't fly home.  Her answer was, "I'm just trying to be extra careful about that..."

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17455 on: April 25, 2017, 02:48:48 PM »
We had an NYC event coordinator coming to my employer for a weekend event - definitely not in NYC.

She asked if someone was coming to get her from the airport. Okay. Then if someone would take her here and there and back and forth. Nice lady.

The obvious answer was to rent a car. Said she couldn't do that b/c she gave up her license years ago.

What about:
Uber/Lyft??
Taxi??
City bike??

Everyone owns a car here or several. Town does not have a big taxi business but there are a few. That was the humor of the situation to us. She was fine in the end. Probably thinking twice about any assumptions that the country is uniformly like a big city with its myriad of transport options.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17456 on: April 25, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
Sitting at lunch today, coworkers are talking about the expensive price of alcohol here (in Québec alcohol is price-hiked and managed by the province in order to collect taxes on it - it's much much more expensive than elsewhere in North America, beer being the exception)...

The other obvious option is to make your own. Brewing beer is relatively easy and can be just as delicious.
My Log

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #17457 on: April 25, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
My coworker, who is a great guy and friend, makes a good amount more than me, and I do pretty well for myself.

We were discussing the fact that I was going to buy a house, which is on the upper end of what a mustachian would pay (you can read about that on the RE board).  Anyway, he was expressing surprise at my spending so much on a house, which surprised me because he and his wife combine for more than I do and could easily afford something like that by my fairly frugal standards.  He's also about to have a baby and will probably be looking to move into a new house himself soon.

Anyway, I heard him talking to another co-worker about cars the other day.  They were comparing cars they saw in the company parking lot.  He was wondering if it made sense to trade in his Mustang for a new $40k sports car because he didn't think he could fit a baby seat into his current car.  This was after he mentioned he was going to buy a boat instead, but maybe now that the baby's coming, he should hold off on that (we live in the SW, there's no water anywhere near us).  The kicker, they live a good 30 miles away where 'the houses are cheaper' and just bought a new Ford Explorer so he and his wife could commute to work in comfort.  Don't you think the car seat will fit in the huge SUV??? He at least hits his company match on the 401k, but looked at me funny when I mentioned I wasn't a car person and wanted to make sure I maxed my 401k each year.  Oh, and his wife buys new shoes online every week.

Not that it should matter, but now I feel a little bet better about why he thought my new house was pricey.

He's a good guy and into finance though.  I'm going to keep trying to slip in hints of 'tax-advantaged savings' and 'commuting is expensive' all that.  He does understand it when I mention it, I just don't think he's ever thought about it in depth before.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #17458 on: April 25, 2017, 05:44:47 PM »
I think we need a thread on the best pizza:

0) Homemade
1) Fast Food Chains
2) Restaurant Chains (like Cali Pizza Kitchen)
3) Frozen

Man, I love pizza.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/share-your-homemade-pizza/

Also quite delicious for lunch the next day.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17459 on: April 26, 2017, 01:07:56 AM »
I was talking with a new colleague, a Canadian citizen but working in the US.  She is pretty young and naive generally (first job, first time living away from home) and we started talking about health insurance.  She said that it was cheaper for her to fly home ($200 r/t) if she needed to see a doctor so she declined the health insurance we have through work (We have decent choices and a range of prices).  I asked her about accidents or something unexpected where she couldn't fly home.  Her answer was, "I'm just trying to be extra careful about that..."

Crazy.  You have to be a resident of your province to maintain the health coverage.  Her canadian coverage will expire within 3 months of leaving her province.  US Residents (even canadians) pay for medical clinics and emergency in Canada.

Now -- most people at the hospital don't really know how to ask / process the payment or credit cards forms, you have to wait while they go searching for someone, and it is like, one price ($500) for almost any e-room visit, but hey, you still pay.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17460 on: April 26, 2017, 06:18:12 AM »
Don't forget the absolute bottom of the barrel...Little Caeser's.

Amen, I've been on a road trip, starving and spotted a Little Ceasar's. I look at the wife and we both silently agree that we aren't THAT hungry. We occasionally travel to the NY finger lakes for the wine, or to north central PA. for the absolutely beautiful remoteness of the area. Those areas have a small pizza store chain (Pudgies) that somehow took the Little Caesar's play book (taste free factory pizza) and ran with it, creating a product that is not only more expensive, but tastes worse. That must of been a real effort, but they really succeeded. Think of the nastiest frozen generic pizza ever, and your close.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17461 on: April 26, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »
Read up on the owners of Little Caesar's and Papa John's sometimes. It sure makes LC taste like better pizza to me... 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17462 on: April 26, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
Some of the better frozen pizzas (looking at you, Screamin' Sicillian) are better than the crappy "fast food pizza."  I'm lucky here in Chicagoland, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a great pizza joint.  Within 5 miles of my house I can get excellent deep dish, thin crust, or NY style pizza at a multitude of locations. 

Downside is that when I go elsewhere (other than NY/CT) and people order in/take us out for pizza, it's invariably inferior.  Was at our office in Tulsa once and they ordered in from "the best pizza place in town" and it was almost inedible. 
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17463 on: April 26, 2017, 08:17:31 AM »
Read up on the owners of Little Caesar's and Papa John's sometimes. It sure makes LC taste like better pizza to me...

Whats wrong with Schnatter, other than his horrible pizza? Or are you just saying he's a good dude too?

The Illitch family is obviously a boon to society, although I hate saying that due to their ownership of the Detroit scumbags (RedWings)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17464 on: April 26, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »
I like Little Caesar's. It's dirt cheap and very edible. And their Crazy Bread is clearly laced with crack. And I'm saying this as somebody who lives smack in the middle of downtown Chicago. (Thin crust is garbage, no matter which American city it purports to be from. My husband, however, agrees with the "tomato soup in a breadbowl" opinion of deep dish. We are still married despite this.)
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17465 on: April 26, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
I like Little Caesar's. It's dirt cheap and very edible. And their Crazy Bread is clearly laced with crack. And I'm saying this as somebody who lives smack in the middle of downtown Chicago. (Thin crust is garbage, no matter which American city it purports to be from. My husband, however, agrees with the "tomato soup in a breadbowl" opinion of deep dish. We are still married despite this.)

I like Little Caesar's as well, and actually have no objection to actual tomato soup in an actual breadbowl. :)

(Coincidenally have just finished my grilled cheese dipped in cream of tomato soup for lunch.)

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #17466 on: April 26, 2017, 12:47:51 PM »

Crazy.  You have to be a resident of your province to maintain the health coverage.  Her canadian coverage will expire within 3 months of leaving her province.  US Residents (even canadians) pay for medical clinics and emergency in Canada.

Now -- most people at the hospital don't really know how to ask / process the payment or credit cards forms, you have to wait while they go searching for someone, and it is like, one price ($500) for almost any e-room visit, but hey, you still pay.

Yes. My sister was visiting from Arizona in March. Cost her $1k just to get past the emergency room admitting desk in BC. Of course, the hospital wouldn't take her American Express. (like virtually everyone else in Canada).
FIREd July 2014

dividendman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17467 on: April 26, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »

0) Homemade
1) Fast Food Chains
3) Frozen

Man, I love pizza.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/share-your-homemade-pizza/

How did I miss that thread? Yummy! Thanks.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17468 on: April 26, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »

0) Homemade
1) Fast Food Chains
3) Frozen

Man, I love pizza.

Like my stance on beer, I firmly believe that anyone can make something that is decent in quality and much more cost efficient with a little practice
My Log

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17469 on: April 26, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »

0) Homemade
1) Fast Food Chains
3) Frozen

Man, I love pizza.

Like my stance on beer, I firmly believe that anyone can make something that is decent in quality and much more cost efficient with a little practice

Been through that thread. Made a couple of the pizzas. Reaffirmed my earlier belief that Pizza is one of the few things that I cannot make good enough/inexpensive enough to justify not ordering out.

Between the time to make it (dough and sauce specifically, each take at least 2 hours to do right) and the cleanup, it just isn't worth it. FOR ME.

kelvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17470 on: April 26, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »

What about:
Uber/Lyft??
Taxi??
City bike??

Everyone owns a car here or several. Town does not have a big taxi business but there are a few. That was the humor of the situation to us. She was fine in the end. Probably thinking twice about any assumptions that the country is uniformly like a big city with its myriad of transport options.

People I've met who have "given up their license" were all trouble. Trouble of the I-can't-get-insurance variety, usually with a side order of my-credit-score-is-garbage. They can't afford the insurance or the car or both.

Dunno what this lady used to do, but I hope what she's doing now is working out well for her, that she's learned from the past and is moving forward in a good direction.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17471 on: April 26, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »

0) Homemade
1) Fast Food Chains
3) Frozen

Man, I love pizza.

Been through that thread. Made a couple of the pizzas. Reaffirmed my earlier belief that Pizza is one of the few things that I cannot make good enough/inexpensive enough to justify not ordering out.

Between the time to make it (dough and sauce specifically, each take at least 2 hours to do right) and the cleanup, it just isn't worth it. FOR ME.

Agree. We eat pizza once a week usually and it's our Friday night treat to finish off the week. A big part of that treat is not having to cook or clean (aside from rinsing a couple plates) after a week of work.  There are lots and lots of meals I won't order from it because I can do them better, pizza ain't one of them. And honestly neither is beer given the relate I drink it (1-2 cans a week)
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17472 on: April 26, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »

What about:
Uber/Lyft??
Taxi??
City bike??

People I've met who have "given up their license" were all trouble. Trouble of the I-can't-get-insurance variety, usually with a side order of my-credit-score-is-garbage. They can't afford the insurance or the car or both.

I don't know why someone would give up a license, unless they stopped driving, moved to a new state with weird license transfer requirements and did not want to renew for $72 (example) when it came around time.    Having a license is almost free unless you have to pay off points or tickets.  You don't need insurance or a car just to carry a drivers license.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #17473 on: April 26, 2017, 04:54:39 PM »

What about:
Uber/Lyft??
Taxi??
City bike??

I don't know why someone would give up a license, unless they stopped driving, moved to a new state with weird license transfer requirements and did not want to renew for $72 (example) when it came around time.    Having a license is almost free unless you have to pay off points or tickets.  You don't need insurance or a car just to carry a drivers license.

She could have "given up" her license as part of a plea deal related to impaired driving. In my state, aggravated DWI can be pled down to an ordinary DWI but the offender's license goes away for a while and there's a structured process to get it back.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

economista

• Stubble
« Reply #17474 on: April 27, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »

What about:
Uber/Lyft??
Taxi??
City bike??

She could have "given up" her license as part of a plea deal related to impaired driving. In my state, aggravated DWI can be pled down to an ordinary DWI but the offender's license goes away for a while and there's a structured process to get it back.

When I read the original post 2 things came to mind:
1) She is from New York City.  I've never lived there, but from what I've heard it is ridiculously expensive to keep and store a car there.  With all of the public transportation options, it is very likely she simply gave up her license because she didn't ever need one and it was easier to just keep a state ID or a passport as her form of ID.  However, if she is now working a job that requires her to travel outside the city, she should probably get another license. 
2)  She could be visually impaired.  I know quite a few VI people who aren't fully blind to the point where they need to walk around with a cane or dog, but blind enough that it is dangerous for them to drive a vehicle.  My SO is one of them.  He has been legally blind since he was 3 years old, but he could see enough to drive from age 16 to around 28.  At that point he "gave up" his license.  He can see relatively well straight-on during the day (he has RP so extreme tunnel vision) and he is good at hiding it, so most people who meet him have no idea he has a visual impairment. 
Follow along on my journey toward becoming (semi) mustacian :) http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/economista's-journal/

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17475 on: April 27, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »

When I read the original post 2 things came to mind:
1) She is from New York City.  I've never lived there, but from what I've heard it is ridiculously expensive to keep and store a car there.  With all of the public transportation options, it is very likely she simply gave up her license because she didn't ever need one and it was easier to just keep a state ID or a passport as her form of ID.  However, if she is now working a job that requires her to travel outside the city, she should probably get another license. 
2)  She could be visually impaired.  I know quite a few VI people who aren't fully blind to the point where they need to walk around with a cane or dog, but blind enough that it is dangerous for them to drive a vehicle.  My SO is one of them.  He has been legally blind since he was 3 years old, but he could see enough to drive from age 16 to around 28.  At that point he "gave up" his license.  He can see relatively well straight-on during the day (he has RP so extreme tunnel vision) and he is good at hiding it, so most people who meet him have no idea he has a visual impairment.

These are both very valid points. I grew up near NYC, and had many friends that moved to NYC when we got older and never bothered renewing their licenses. Having a car there was just too expensive. I also have a friend who is VI, so I could see that here too.
My Log

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17476 on: April 27, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
These are both very valid points. I grew up near NYC, and had many friends that moved to NYC when we got older and never bothered renewing their licenses. Having a car there was just too expensive. I also have a friend who is VI, so I could see that here too.

I don't own a car, but I would never give up my actual license, wtf.  It's not expensive or a lot of effort to maintain a license.  I didn't realize that was something people did.  Do they think they'll never again step foot outside of NYC, where reasonable public transit isn't an option?  Or have to DD for someone?  Or rent a car to go on vacation?  I guess if you live in your little neighborhood bubble and never leave it... but man that seems short sighted.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17477 on: April 27, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »

I don't own a car, but I would never give up my actual license, wtf.  It's not expensive or a lot of effort to maintain a license.  I didn't realize that was something people did.  Do they think they'll never again step foot outside of NYC, where reasonable public transit isn't an option?  Or have to DD for someone?  Or rent a car to go on vacation?  I guess if you live in your little neighborhood bubble and never leave it... but man that seems short sighted.

For the record, it was a giant, GIANT pain in my ass to transfer my license from MA after I moved to NYC. I ended up having to take a day and a half off work and ended up visiting two different social security offices and two different DMVs before successfully getting a license. I haven't driven a car in 15 years and it was pretty tempting to just say "fuck it."
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Reynold

• Stubble
« Reply #17478 on: April 27, 2017, 01:13:47 PM »
I didn't realize that was something people did.  Do they think they'll never again step foot outside of NYC, where reasonable public transit isn't an option?  Or have to DD for someone?  Or rent a car to go on vacation?  I guess if you live in your little neighborhood bubble and never leave it... but man that seems short sighted.

I visited my aunt in NYC in grad school, and she was paying as much to park her car as I paid in rent for my apartment.  She later gave up her car.  Native New Yorkers can be a special folk, sure, sure they expect to go to other places, like San Francisco or Boston.  But why would you ever go anywhere smaller/less civilized than that, what could they possibly have to offer? 

I had a friend who grew up in NYC, when he heard DW and I were honeymooning for 2 weeks in England, he assumed we would spend the whole time in London, as he did when he was there for a semester.  No, there are some other things to see in England too, thanks. . . :)   To be fair, he did have a driver's license so he could rent a car once in a while to visit a wilderness area like Connecticut.   

To drag this at least tangentially back to the "at work" part of the thread, when our CEO visits, he does expect one of the other upper executives to drive him around places.  Uber is a bit thin in this area, and wasn't here at all until relatively recently.  Rank hath its privileges. 

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17479 on: April 28, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
To drag this at least tangentially back to the "at work" part of the thread, when our CEO visits, he does expect one of the other upper executives to drive him around places.  Uber is a bit thin in this area, and wasn't here at all until relatively recently.  Rank hath its privileges.

Thanks for steering us back in the right direction :-P. My CEO does this frequently as well, even when he is at the company headquarters. I always figured it was a personal security thing (one of our building security members acts as his private body guard in some insrances), but maybe it's a rank thing too.
My Log

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #17480 on: April 28, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »
Sitting at lunch today, coworkers are talking about the expensive price of alcohol here (in Québec alcohol is price-hiked and managed by the province in order to collect taxes on it - it's much much more expensive than elsewhere in North America, beer being the exception).

CW 1: I think I could have bought a second house by now with the amount of money alcohol has cost me in my life so far.
CW 2: Ugh, me too, it's so ridiculously expensive. *wah wah* the government is robbing us blind.
CW 1: My wife tells me its a waste but she likes wine as much as I do.
CW 1 & CW 2: *Look at me.
Me: I'm not really a drinker, I don't care much for alcohol.
CW 3: Wow, you must be rich!
Me internally: yes, as we all are - alcohol is a luxury you f***heads, not a necessity.
Me out loud: rock climbing gear and camping weekends are expensive... that's my alcohol budget.
Me internally: no they aren't, not if you do it right. Quick, eat your sandwich, GET OUT!

Whenever I get shit for being "cheap" due to bike commuting, bringing lunch, etc followed up with comments about how I must be loaded, my go to response is, "I would be, but I spend it all on hookers and blow."

Then silently answer, "Yeah, I am loaded, you made the connection yourself.  Follow through."  I think most people don't recognize that saving money is investing in freedom.  They don't understand how much you actually need to be FI (you hear people say shit like $5MM or something dumb) and assume it's an impossible amount to save, therefore why bother. 

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17481 on: April 28, 2017, 12:38:55 PM »

Whenever I get shit for being "cheap" due to bike commuting, bringing lunch, etc followed up with comments about how I must be loaded, my go to response is, "I would be, but I spend it all on hookers and blow."

Then silently answer, "Yeah, I am loaded, you made the connection yourself.  Follow through."  I think most people don't recognize that saving money is investing in freedom.  They don't understand how much you actually need to be FI (you hear people say shit like $5MM or something dumb) and assume it's an impossible amount to save, therefore why bother.

I can definitely RELATE to this just from today.
CW1:"hey we get paid this week?"
Me: " no that is next week"
CW1:" I would lost without *insert wife's name*. I would have bill collectors following me" (side note: when gets calls he always says I am not answering that that is a bill collector"
Me: "We(my partner and I) look at the finances together. Since we have goals we need to meet together"
CW1: "Totally understand I have to make my mortgage payment and pay the 400$ baby photoshoot - this month"
Me :" Definitely not that for us- we are planning for early retirement at 35"
CW1: "WHAT 35!" *laughs like I don't know what I am talking about*
Me: "Yes 35- anything is possible with proper planning and frugal behaviour"
CW1: "How much do you think you need?"
Me: " around 600k"
CW1: "WHAT - and how long to plan on being alive. Well I guess you are not going to have kids. And if you do I will definitely be checking to see how this little plan of yours goes" *continues to laugh like I am stupid*
CW2 - gives me a look since we are both into FIRE. And later IMs me.

Me: "I plan on living as long as I can. please do- and we are definitely going to have kids"
I find it funny how someone who is living pay check to pay check, buys 10 dollar breakfast at work and 11 dollar lunches and lives 30 miles one way to work is so skeptical on how I am living my life. And even if that FI number goes up. He honestly thinks that one needs millions to retire.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:41:08 PM by Abooki »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #17482 on: April 28, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »
I work with a woman whose 60+ year old parents are buying her a car (she's in her 40's) because she can't afford one. They are still working. She gets her nails and hair done regularly. She makes $60k a year.

This pains me.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #17483 on: April 29, 2017, 03:01:30 AM »

[/quote]

Tobacco seeds are so tiny, they get everywhere and into everything.  Yet when they grow, they look like many other "desired" annuals for the first couple of months.  I remember once weeding and I ripped out everything BUT the tobacco plants.     Therefore, I do not recommend growing your own tobacco due to the challenges wind-spread tobacco seeding brings.
[/quote]

Not very aggressive, and easy to remove. A few will pop up as volunteers in the garden. I like the look of the plant, and it has a very pretty cluster of pink flowers.

I roll and smoke maybe 5 or 6 cigars a year. They taste decent, not as good as a really good cigar. Chewed, home-cured tobacco has a nice flavor, and is less aggravating than store bought, although a LOT less nicotine.

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #17484 on: April 29, 2017, 11:34:56 AM »

CW1: "WHAT - and how long to plan on being alive. Well I guess you are not going to have kids. And if you do I will definitely be checking to see how this little plan of yours goes" *continues to laugh like I am stupid*

I find it funny how someone who is living pay check to pay check, buys 10 dollar breakfast at work and 11 dollar lunches and lives 30 miles one way to work is so skeptical on how I am living my life. And even if that FI number goes up. He honestly thinks that one needs millions to retire.
  Well ya gotta admit, if he's going to live like that, he Will need millions.  I don't think he's skeptical about how you're living your life, he's totally clueless.  Educating the mindless masses is a long road, but fortunately it has lots of turning.  Personally, I'd laugh my way to the bank.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17485 on: April 29, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »
CW1:"hey we get paid this week?"
Me: " no that is next week"
CW1:" I would lost without *insert wife's name*. I would have bill collectors following me" (side note: when gets calls he always says I am not answering that that is a bill collector"
Me: "We(my partner and I) look at the finances together. Since we have goals we need to meet together"
CW1: "Totally understand I have to make my mortgage payment and pay the 400$ baby photoshoot - this month"
CW2 - gives me a look since we are both into FIRE. And later IMs me.

This is why I'm not clear with my FIRE plans to most of my coworkers. They know I live frugally, but I don't think any of them realize how much my DW makes and that we have plans to RE. I find it a lot less awkard that way.
My Log

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17486 on: April 30, 2017, 07:11:46 AM »

This is why I'm not clear with my FIRE plans to most of my coworkers. They know I live frugally, but I don't think any of them realize how much my DW makes and that we have plans to RE. I find it a lot less awkard that way.

Definitely that is way forward for me.

rockeTree

• Stubble
« Reply #17487 on: April 30, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
CW Tuesday: I'm very frugal but my one indulgence is that I just have to have a brand new car every two years. (Note long driving commute).

CW Wednesday: shoes are my real indulgence, well shoes and cars I guess!

CW Thursday (at lunch, four people, three of whom are eating packed lunches): I just don't know how you can find time to make lunches. I eat lunch out every day and really dinner almost every day. We hate doing dishes so...

In the last two months said CW has bought a new house ("can't have a baby in a condo!"), with stated plans of buying another larger house if there's ever a second kid, bought all new furniture for every room in the house ("our old stuff didn't really suit the scale of the rooms in the new place") and complained about the salary just to me at least four times... there must be a grand a month of pure fluff that could be had by keeping a car for five years and learning some basic cooking skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17488 on: April 30, 2017, 09:09:05 AM »
...there must be a grand a month of pure fluff that could be had by keeping a car for five years and learning some basic cooking skills.

You wouldn't deny your colleague their one indulgence surely? They are pretty frugal apart from the indulgences. And cooking creates dishes to be washed up; are you a monster?

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17489 on: April 30, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
I've been giving one of my coworkers occasional investing advice ever since he mentioned a) he admitted he has very little invested despite his decent salary and b) he's heard me talk about it a few times.  I walked into his office the other day and he and his office-mate were discussing loan options for a new vehicle.  He has three kids of car seat size so he'll need a fairly large vehicle.  My off the cuff advice was "don't get a loan." He responded that he didn't have $40,000 lying around in his account. My counter was "So don't spend $40k."  He said "while that could probably work, I still want my wife to be happy with me."  Apparently she's the one pushing for a brand new vehicle.  I'm not blaming her for their saving issues because I don't know the couple that well, but since a car payment like that is a significant part of a household budget he'll have some hurdles to overcome if he's serious about saving.

kelvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17490 on: April 30, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
I've been giving one of my coworkers occasional investing advice ever since he mentioned a) he admitted he has very little invested despite his decent salary and b) he's heard me talk about it a few times.  I walked into his office the other day and he and his office-mate were discussing loan options for a new vehicle.  He has three kids of car seat size so he'll need a fairly large vehicle.  My off the cuff advice was "don't get a loan." He responded that he didn't have $40,000 lying around in his account. My counter was "So don't spend $40k."  He said "while that could probably work, I still want my wife to be happy with me."  Apparently she's the one pushing for a brand new vehicle.  I'm not blaming her for their saving issues because I don't know the couple that well, but since a car payment like that is a significant part of a household budget he'll have some hurdles to overcome if he's serious about saving.

Ehhhh... I've met some couples where the spouse is accustomed to a certain lifestlye, and would seriously consider divorce if that were to change drastically.

I've also met couples that use "I need it to keep the spouse happy" or "I need it for the kids" or "the kids deserve only the best" as an excuse to buy the luxury item they don't need.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #17491 on: April 30, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »
Colleague earns a base rate of $50K. He went to a private school as a kid. His wife has expensive tastes. He is now doing all sorts of side jobs, because oh fuck - wife wants a bigger house and he has family pressure from his father to send his 3 boys to the same private school that he attended (where fees are at $20k a year).

The ironic thing is he is in a catchment area where the local government high school is beating said private school in the local tests (NAPLAN) here. As for his wife, met her once...sorry but you didn't marry someone rich, you're not rich, and apparently she bitches he is too busy working. Get off your arse, give your kids to your in-laws (but can't, she doesn't like his mum) and start working again!

I give them 3 years. Max.

cheapass

• Bristles
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #17492 on: April 30, 2017, 06:21:18 PM »

Is his wife working?

Yes -> hope she likes her job enough to work an extra year or two to pay for an unnecessary vehicle.

No-> what the fuck is she doing frivolously spending the family's money that her husband busts his ass to earn?
Every single decision you make with money either shortens or lengthens your working career.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #17493 on: April 30, 2017, 07:07:01 PM »
Colleague earns a base rate of $50K. He went to a private school as a kid. His wife has expensive tastes. He is now doing all sorts of side jobs, because oh fuck - wife wants a bigger house and he has family pressure from his father to send his 3 boys to the same private school that he attended (where fees are at $20k a year).

The ironic thing is he is in a catchment area where the local government high school is beating said private school in the local tests (NAPLAN) here. As for his wife, met her once...sorry but you didn't marry someone rich, you're not rich, and apparently she bitches he is too busy working. Get off your arse, give your kids to your in-laws (but can't, she doesn't like his mum) and start working again!

My bro and his wife are battling this at the moment. She grew up wealthy and went to the finest
Private school in the area (absolutely lovely, bright girl, but has never really had a job in spite of her fine education), my bro went public, doing ok on a modest-reasonable wage ($50k) that supports their small family. Her mother (horrible botoxed lush) is demanding they send 4yr old nephew to fancy private school ($20k pa), even though they just bought a house on the same street as a lovely public school. She dangles money in front of them, but it always comes with strings attached, and she is pretty but generally is awful to my brother. Thankfully, it looks like my brothers wife is on the same page as bro (public school) for now.
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

The Guru

• Stubble
« Reply #17494 on: April 30, 2017, 07:41:27 PM »
CW Tuesday: I'm very frugal but my one indulgence is that I just have to have a brand new car every two years. (Note long driving commute).

CW Wednesday: shoes are my real indulgence, well shoes and cars I guess!

CW Thursday (at lunch, four people, three of whom are eating packed lunches): I just don't know how you can find time to make lunches. I eat lunch out every day and really dinner almost every day. We hate doing dishes so...

In the last two months said CW has bought a new house ("can't have a baby in a condo!"), with stated plans of buying another larger house if there's ever a second kid, bought all new furniture for every room in the house ("our old stuff didn't really suit the scale of the rooms in the new place") and complained about the salary just to me at least four times... there must be a grand a month of pure fluff that could be had by keeping a car for five years and learning some basic cooking skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After that exchange I'd be dying to ask " OK...where is all this alleged frugality???"

Abe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17495 on: April 30, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
I'm finishing a long, grueling training program to become a surgeon. Some of my co-residents are frugal like me, and are going to be fine. We'll all probably semi-retire in 10-15 years. According to Facebook, some of the residents in other programs are already buying BMWs, while carrying a 6%+ student debt loan equivalent to a mortgage in size. This while they still have another year of training to go!! You should not owe $200k in student debt and owe $50k for a car simultaneously. That is insane.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #17496 on: April 30, 2017, 08:11:21 PM »

Granted our son is just over a month and a half old, but DW and I live fine in a condo with our baby and have had many relatives/guests spend nights with us. Think about it- the majority of humans on this planet live in similar/less square footage with larger families and somehow make it work.
My Log

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17497 on: April 30, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
Most of my coworkers are pretty bad at financial matters, although this particular is clueless.

CW - constantly complains about money and how hard our work is (it isn't, easiest job ever).  Is early 40s, has wages garnished and still over 100K student loans.  Rents because can't gather a down payment, also had "settle" for a used F150 even though he wanted a new one... obviously has monthly payments.  Instead of selling his hold Dodge pickup, the wife uses it as the commuter car now and they sold their compact sedan "huh?".  Oh complains about gas/commute prices constantly.  Eats out everyday.  Oh, doesn't even MAX out the company retirement matching plan because he can't "afford" it... yes you heard that right.  Eats out everyday, yet can't MAX out a measily 6% to get a 6% company match, told me he puts 3%.  Overall nice guy but financial life is a wreck.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

Gone_Hiking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17498 on: April 30, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »

My bro and his wife are battling this at the moment. She grew up wealthy and went to the finest
Private school in the area (absolutely lovely, bright girl, but has never really had a job in spite of her fine education), my bro went public, doing ok on a modest-reasonable wage ($50k) that supports their small family. Her mother (horrible botoxed lush) is demanding they send 4yr old nephew to fancy private school ($20k pa), even though they just bought a house on the same street as a lovely public school. She dangles money in front of them, but it always comes with strings attached, and she is pretty but generally is awful to my brother. Thankfully, it looks like my brothers wife is on the same page as bro (public school) for now.

Ugh!  A former coworker once insisted that I should put my kid on a private school.  The coworker had just divorced her husband who, as a head of a hospital wing, was bringing in over half a million dollars a year.  Her ex kept fit by doing certain extracurricular activities with the nurses.  So they divorced, the judge didn't award alimony, and she had to go back to work after many years of staying at home.  She landed in my group, earning less than one tenth of what her ex used to bring home.  Private education and designer clothing boutiques was all she knew - but her budget now only allowed for public education and discount retailers.   I can only imagine how it must have felt to have to step down to the level of the masses.  When she was insisting on private school for education of my kid, she really was trying to be helpful,  but boy, dealing with a fallen socialite is something I will not miss.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #17499 on: April 30, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »
The private boys school here are copping it atm because there has been a royal commission into institutional child abuse. One headmaster from a school, Knox, said one of the boys in question was essentially asking for it. Another, from Kings, sent the debt collectors in after the parents refused to pay the fees after their son told them of abuse.

If someone wants to send their kid to a place where they can get bullied, bastardised or anally raped for the privilege of paying $20-$40k a year, I am sure other places will do it more cheaply and will build so-called character for less trauma.

The piteous thing is the abuse was more likely to happen to a kid if he was socially isolated (single parent family) and far from home (boarders/country kids).