Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4773568 times)

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17200 on: March 24, 2017, 03:24:09 AM »
Completely doable.
The large RedBull drinks(20oz?) cost about $4 each around me. The vending machine at work has them at $3.50 so all the young guys think it's a deal. That, plus $1 bags of chips and candy bars.

At first, the machine only had two rows of RedBulls, now it's up to 6 rows of them.  These guys drink those like water, 3-4 a day, plus a bag of chips during the morning and usually a snack bar during the afternoon. That's besides getting coffee in the mornings and then lunch, usually Chipotle.  I bet they waste easily $25 a day on RedBull, chips and Chipotle.
I had no idea those silly drinks cost that much.  I've never had one.  I always thought they were just water with caffeine.  Are they more like soda?
It's intentionally that expensive, to aim at the "it's expensive so it must be good" crowd, same as probiotic yoghurts and that stuff.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17201 on: March 24, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »
A loan for tyres?!? A loan for TYRES?!? A LOAN for tyres?!? For a new (to you) truck when you already have a truck.

I have not heard of this thing and I don't think I want to understand it better.

Over on this side of the Atlantic, it gets even better (or worse, I suppose).  We have rental wheels and rental tires.

I am so confused. How can you think you can afford a car if you have to rent the wheels? Is it common to buy a vehicle with no wheels? Or to think that you should upgrade safe and legal wheels with rented shiny wheels? Do you rent the wheels to go with a rental car? Rental cars still come with the wheels don't they?

Why is this a service and why are people paying for it?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #17202 on: March 24, 2017, 09:49:58 AM »
A loan for tyres?!? A loan for TYRES?!? A LOAN for tyres?!? For a new (to you) truck when you already have a truck.

I have not heard of this thing and I don't think I want to understand it better.

Over on this side of the Atlantic, it gets even better (or worse, I suppose).  We have rental wheels and rental tires.

I am so confused. How can you think you can afford a car if you have to rent the wheels? Is it common to buy a vehicle with no wheels? Or to think that you should upgrade safe and legal wheels with rented shiny wheels? Do you rent the wheels to go with a rental car? Rental cars still come with the wheels don't they?

Seasonal tires for people with nowhere to store them?
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

cheapass

• Bristles
« Reply #17203 on: March 24, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »

I'd venture a guess that it's kind of like renting a TV from Rent A Center. If you don't have the cash flow to buy big, flashy 20" wheels and be "rollin' on dubs" than you can just rent the "dubs", problem solved.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:00:34 AM by cheapass »

Clean Shaven

• Bristles
« Reply #17204 on: March 24, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »

Cars come with wheels and tires here in the US. But they don't come with gigantic 24" shiny wheels and silly rubber band tires wrapped around them.

There's a market for these things, apparently. And there are predatory marketers and lenders willing to take advantage of it.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17205 on: March 24, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »
Completely doable.
The large RedBull drinks(20oz?) cost about $4 each around me. The vending machine at work has them at $3.50 so all the young guys think it's a deal. That, plus $1 bags of chips and candy bars.

At first, the machine only had two rows of RedBulls, now it's up to 6 rows of them.  These guys drink those like water, 3-4 a day, plus a bag of chips during the morning and usually a snack bar during the afternoon. That's besides getting coffee in the mornings and then lunch, usually Chipotle.  I bet they waste easily $25 a day on RedBull, chips and Chipotle.
I had no idea those silly drinks cost that much.  I've never had one.  I always thought they were just water with caffeine.  Are they more like soda?

Go find a stray dog with a dirty butthole.  Lick said butthole.  Give $4 to the dog for the privileged of licking its butthole.  Repeat ad nauseum.  Spend additional money on clothing with advertisements for the dog's butthole.

That is essentially red bull. 

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17206 on: March 24, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »
Completely doable.

Go find a stray dog with a dirty butthole.  Lick said butthole.  Give $4 to the dog for the privileged of licking its butthole.  Repeat ad nauseum.  Spend additional money on clothing with advertisements for the dog's butthole.

That is essentially red bull.

-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.
-Don't ever mistake wealth for worth.

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17207 on: March 25, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
Warning: picayune alert. This happened almost ten years ago, and I spent a bit of time reconstructing the memory. I had a co-worker in my low-paying job. She had it worse than me (always having to miss work due to illness, and there were no paid sick days).

She signed up for direct deposit (like me, she'd started with biweekly cheques), but accidentally gave payroll the information for the wrong bank account. She owned up to that part, but seemed furious about the situation she'd ended up in. Not because cheques were bouncing, or missing pre-authorized withdrawals, or anything like that.

She was ticked because the "wrong" bank account never had more than $4 in it before. It usually was at $0, but she would transfer $4 into it by the end of the month to pay for the bank charge. She was spending $4 per month on a bank account she wasn't using. She didn't say how much her regular bank account cost per month. It's only $4, but that's $4 you just don't need to waste. I don't get some people.