Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5290150 times)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #17150 on: March 16, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »
All this talk about lobster reminds me of a law we have on the books. The prisons aren't allowed to feed inmates lobster more than three times a week. Until very recent decades, lobster was considered poor man's food. Lobsters are bottom feeders but great marketing has ensured that maritime lobsters are a high-demand luxury food.
Funny.
I guess the same marketing trick has been done with eel, also a fish that eats cadavers and is considered luxury food in some countries, at least when smoked.

Yeah, but eel actually tastes good.  I love unagi.

It's funny, I remember liking lobster as a child, but didn't enjoy it as an adult (most times were in Montauk NY, probably once in PEI).  Maybe I just liked the melted butter?
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17151 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
The car hopping is apparently from a desire to have a nice car that is repair free. Why pay for a $800 repair when you can trade up? Except that it means perpetual payments. Buy something, fix what needs to be fixed and drive it for the next decade. ALL of my used cars need a few repairs at the beginning it seems but then they are reliable for a long, long time.
Aren't most new cars under warranty for a few years? 

Buying a new car (or even a new to you car) every year sounds miserable.  I hope to have my car for at least another 5-10 years.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17152 on: March 16, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »

On a side note I also did another house call for a retired lady who lives in a very nice house and we got to talking cars. She motioned to her late 90s Pontiac Vibe and said its been a wonderful car. Clearly a Moustachian lady from way back enjoying the benefits of careful choices earlier in life. I know enough about her indirectly to know she is well off and generous with her charities.

Vibe didn't come out until 2003

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17153 on: March 16, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
HA! I learned something. Done. I'm calling it a day. j/k

All the exterior plastic had turned grey so I assumed it was older than it was. 

Just had a DUH moment. Coworker is probably trading in and upgrading each time a car has a significant problem that is "unaffordable". Some creative financing magic and newer car, similar payment, problem gone, debt extended...

Not sharing here so much to ridicule just SMH, would like to help but I'm not the voice of reason that has the power to break expensive habits in other people.

Silently leading by example.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:50:25 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

letthelightin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17154 on: March 16, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
DH came home one day and told me his coworkers asked him to join a new group they were creating.

There was going to be 10 members in the group. Each week, every member would contribute $50.
At the end of the week, the group would hold a drawing, and the winner would take home that week's money.
They would continue this for 10 weeks, and each person could win only once.

My husband politely declined to join, and his coworker's rebuttal was "But you're guaranteed to win $500!!"

Sadly, DH has no further knowledge on how this turned out.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17155 on: March 16, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »
DH came home one day and told me his coworkers asked him to join a new group they were creating.

There was going to be 10 members in the group. Each week, every member would contribute $50.
At the end of the week, the group would hold a drawing, and the winner would take home that week's money.

My husband politely declined to join, and his coworker's rebuttal was "But you're guaranteed to win $500!!"

lol, while not the most unmustachian thing in this thread, since everyone is going to break even, that's definitely the most pointless.

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #17156 on: March 16, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »

lol, while not the most unmustachian thing in this thread, since everyone is going to break even, that's definitely the most pointless.

Unless somebody drops out once they win...

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17157 on: March 16, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »
All this talk about lobster reminds me of a law we have on the books. The prisons aren't allowed to feed inmates lobster more than three times a week. Until very recent decades, lobster was considered poor man's food. Lobsters are bottom feeders but great marketing has ensured that maritime lobsters are a high-demand luxury food.

We have similar laws along all the old salmon rivers: "Crofters and servants shall not be served salmon more than 3 times a week". Today the wild salmon is gone from several of the rivers, but the farmed salmon is getting so cheap that the laws might come to use again.

Lobster is nice, but I think crab claws taste equally good. I don't really get the crayfish hype - loads of work and a big mess for very little food.
Travelling southern Norway, Iceland and the Faroes in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

Bumperpuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17158 on: March 16, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

That system is called a sou-sou (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sou-sou). It makes sense if you're in an area without banking, or have limited control over your finances, but I'm assuming those things don't apply to you're co-workers.

letthelightin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17159 on: March 17, 2017, 08:21:38 AM »
That system is called a sou-sou (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sou-sou). It makes sense if you're in an area without banking, or have limited control over your finances, but I'm assuming those things don't apply to you're co-workers.

Interesting! Thank you for sharing that!

Liberty Stache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17160 on: March 17, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »

Marketing and butter. Lots and lots of butter. Ask a lobster fan to eat one without butter and see what happens.
"Sloth, like rust, consumes faster than labor wears, while the used key is always bright" ~Benjamin Franklin, The Way to Wealth

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #17161 on: March 17, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »

Marketing and butter. Lots and lots of butter. Ask a lobster fan to eat one without butter and see what happens.

I would take you up on that in a split second.  I once ate a lobster in the airport using only its own claws as a tool (no butter, no cutlery).  I love the taste so much, but it's not a cheap treat.

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17162 on: March 17, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
I've tried lobster a couple of times and just don't get it. To me it was like crab-meets-rubber-eraser. If others enjoy it though, more power to them.
"It'll be great!"

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17163 on: March 17, 2017, 11:10:54 AM »
I've tried lobster a couple of times and just don't get it. To me it was like crab-meets-rubber-eraser. If others enjoy it though, more power to them.
It depends on how it is cooked.  Often people just throw the lobster in boiling water and done vs, give them some white wine, plus warm water, increase the temp and then cook it over time.

stoaX

• Bristles
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #17164 on: March 17, 2017, 01:22:03 PM »

I would take you up on that in a split second.  I once ate a lobster in the airport using only its own claws as a tool (no butter, no cutlery).  I love the taste so much, but it's not a cheap treat.

This is just one person's opinion but I gotta side with carless on this one.  I thoroughly enjoy lobster without butter or anything else.

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17165 on: March 17, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »

Sure. Want to buy me one if I make it to Boston sometime?

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #17166 on: March 17, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »

Interesting! Thank you for sharing that!
This kind of system is common in the Hmung community here.  They also pool money to provide home and real estate loans.  It's a great system when everyone contributes, but a few deadbeats can wreak havoc unless they're kicked out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #17167 on: March 20, 2017, 04:53:45 AM »
Yeah, I've struggled to make lobster turn out well at home. It seems like the effort to reward ratio is much too high; so many things that are just as tasty but don't require so much work to get right.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17168 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
Before this gets too foamy, I thought I would share what I did on Saturday. I co-host a dinner group that tries to meet monthly for an international dinner (each month a different country). This month we did France, for it I made beef bourguignon for one of the main courses and my friend made bouillabaisse for the other main entree. Appetizers included escargot, cheese/bread, and caviar. For dessert we had custard, crepes, and a flan-like dish.

The meal was insanely extravagant and delicious, one of the best meals I can recall every having. Because the main host doesn't drink we didn't serve wine or any alcohol. Total cost was about $20 per person, mostly to cover the seafood!

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17169 on: March 20, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »

Unless somebody drops out once they win...
The first, second and third winners are going to continue to pay for 9, 8 and 7 more weeks when they have zero chance to win! They don't know people!
 Let us know if it falls apart.
 Hey, I know, keep each weeks winnings until the end of the 10 weeks before distribution.
Then give each person $500! :-)
A community that does this as a financing tool may do better, but not as an office pool.

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #17170 on: March 20, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
I have more information about a coworker I mentioned before.

He's 20-21, he bought a used truck and at the end of the loan is going to pay $33k for it. Not sure how much the payments are. He had absolutely no credit going in.

The interest rate is 8.5%. I shit you not.

He also had to get a loan for the tires which are $360 a piece.

He has another, older truck that he cranks and drives around the yard occasionally to keep it running.

I haven't mentioned the best part. He makes $12 an hour.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17171 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:54 AM »
I have more information about a coworker I mentioned before.

He's 20-21, he bought a used truck and at the end of the loan is going to pay $33k for it. Not sure how much the payments are. He had absolutely no credit going in.

The interest rate is 8.5%. I shit you not.

He also had to get a loan for the tires which are $360 a piece.

He has another, older truck that he cranks and drives around the yard occasionally to keep it running.

I haven't mentioned the best part. He makes $12 an hour.
Meh, thats only a bit over a month of work for the interest, and the old is not one you want to be seen at work driving around with it, right? So not a bad decision at all!

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #17172 on: March 21, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »
If I had a nickel for every hillbilly I saw driving around my Appalachian hometown in a truck that was worth as much as their trailer...  But I won't lie, I would really love to have a new shiny F-150.  I just know I can't afford it.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17173 on: March 22, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »
Look at the tires. How many are rolling around in fancy trucks with bald tires? I've seen a few with REALLY bald tires.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17174 on: March 23, 2017, 02:01:38 AM »
A loan for tyres?!? A loan for TYRES?!? A LOAN for tyres?!? For a new (to you) truck when you already have a truck.

I have not heard of this thing and I don't think I want to understand it better.

Freckles080808

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17175 on: March 23, 2017, 04:07:22 AM »
So this wasn't strictly overheard at work, but in a discussion with a former colleague.

"So we were looking at our monthly costs, and realized we were paying all this money for gym memberships that we never really used.  And we wanted to spend money in line with our priorities.  So we decided to rent space in a wine cellar."

This made me chuckle :-)

force majeure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17176 on: March 23, 2017, 05:06:21 AM »

"I don't know where the money is going, I have 3 days until pay-day, I am coasting along on gas fumes"

This guy sits near me at work, manages to spend about $20 / day on snacks and soft drinks. The vending machine was created with him in mind.

I fell like doing the sums for him and giving it to him between the eyes...

Listen pal, $20 per day is $4520 each year you are throwing away, out of your nett income.
Over 10 years that's $45200 wasted on junk food.
"The road to financial independence is built 10 cent at a time"

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17177 on: March 23, 2017, 06:06:53 AM »
A loan for tyres?!? A loan for TYRES?!? A LOAN for tyres?!? For a new (to you) truck when you already have a truck.

I have not heard of this thing and I don't think I want to understand it better.

Won't be long until the Banks securitise these loans and sell them off as AAA rated to your pension funds.

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #17178 on: March 23, 2017, 06:24:18 AM »

"I don't know where the money is going, I have 3 days until pay-day, I am coasting along on gas fumes"

This guy sits near me at work, manages to spend about $20 / day on snacks and soft drinks. The vending machine was created with him in mind.

Listen pal, $20 per day is $4520 each year you are throwing away, out of your nett income.

What? How? That's like 10-15 snacks or sodas a day, at least. There's no way. Is he 500 lbs? Does he not eat a real lunch or breakfast and subsist off the snacks?

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17179 on: March 23, 2017, 08:05:41 AM »

What? How? That's like 10-15 snacks or sodas a day, at least. There's no way. Is he 500 lbs? Does he not eat a real lunch or breakfast and subsist off the snacks?

Completely doable.
The large RedBull drinks(20oz?) cost about $4 each around me. The vending machine at work has them at $3.50 so all the young guys think it's a deal. That, plus $1 bags of chips and candy bars.

At first, the machine only had two rows of RedBulls, now it's up to 6 rows of them.  These guys drink those like water, 3-4 a day, plus a bag of chips during the morning and usually a snack bar during the afternoon. That's besides getting coffee in the mornings and then lunch, usually Chipotle.  I bet they waste easily $25 a day on RedBull, chips and Chipotle.

They remind me of the little guinea pigs in the movie "Zootopia" where the crooked Fox knows exactly that they will buy his popsicles at exactly the same time, everyday 'till eternity.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:12:10 AM by craiglepaige »
-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.
-Don't ever mistake wealth for worth.

BlueHouse

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17180 on: March 23, 2017, 11:03:35 AM »
Completely doable.
The large RedBull drinks(20oz?) cost about $4 each around me. The vending machine at work has them at $3.50 so all the young guys think it's a deal. That, plus $1 bags of chips and candy bars.

At first, the machine only had two rows of RedBulls, now it's up to 6 rows of them.  These guys drink those like water, 3-4 a day, plus a bag of chips during the morning and usually a snack bar during the afternoon. That's besides getting coffee in the mornings and then lunch, usually Chipotle.  I bet they waste easily $25 a day on RedBull, chips and Chipotle.
I had no idea those silly drinks cost that much.  I've never had one.  I always thought they were just water with caffeine.  Are they more like soda?
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

Clean Shaven

• Bristles
« Reply #17181 on: March 23, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »

Over on this side of the Atlantic, it gets even better (or worse, I suppose).  We have rental wheels and rental tires.

http://www.rentawheel.com/

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:08:49 AM by Clean Shaven »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #17182 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »
Completely doable.

I had no idea those silly drinks cost that much.  I've never had one.  I always thought they were just water with caffeine.  Are they more like soda?

I've tried a couple. To my taste buds, those drinks taste like what would happen if the Jolly Green Giant was out partying one night, showed up to work the next morning still messed up, crashed the tractor, and had to provide a urine sample.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17183 on: March 23, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »
Completely doable.

I've tried a couple. To my taste buds, those drinks taste like what would happen if the Jolly Green Giant was out partying one night, showed up to work the next morning still messed up, crashed the tractor, and had to provide a urine sample.

They're nasty for sure, but I keep one or two on hand at the office and at home. Why? Migraines. If you feel a migraine coming on, chug one or two of them. Migraine gone. Doesn't work with coffee, coke, mt. dew, or other energy drinks (Monster, etc.), only RedBull.

YMMV, this could be a complete placebo. It works for me though.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17184 on: March 23, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
Completely doable.

They're nasty for sure, but I keep one or two on hand at the office and at home. Why? Migraines. If you feel a migraine coming on, chug one or two of them. Migraine gone. Doesn't work with coffee, coke, mt. dew, or other energy drinks (Monster, etc.), only RedBull.

YMMV, this could be a complete placebo. It works for me though.
I don't get generic headaches much, but when I do, caffeine always helps me.  It's the rare time when I'll go look for a soda.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17185 on: March 23, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
I believe I've only had Redbull when it has had vodka in it (back in my college partying days).  To the point where if I smell redbull say, at the office, I immediately wonder why someone is drinking at work, until I remind myself people can drink it straight. 
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17186 on: March 23, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
I think energy drinks have a good thing going for them, they cost a ton and it seems like everyone but us drinks them like they're water. I don't get it, there's rarely a time when I have to be that alert. I know people at my gym that will use it to get a better workout and I always just want to look at them and tell them, "You do realize that once you start using it, you won't be able to stop, because this will become your default state?"

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17187 on: March 23, 2017, 12:15:40 PM »
Completely doable.

They taste like I imagine shampoo tastes! And shampoo is cheaper at the Dollar store.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:18:56 PM by Tasty Pinecones »

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #17188 on: March 23, 2017, 12:20:09 PM »
I believe I've only had Redbull when it has had vodka in it (back in my college partying days).  To the point where if I smell redbull say, at the office, I immediately wonder why someone is drinking at work, until I remind myself people can drink it straight.
You too eh?
I was introduced to RedBull at the same time as Vodka in grad school. Now I love me some top-shelf Vodka in martinis but hate RedBull.
But I like the company's sponsorship of soccer teams, F1, and extreme sports.
Somehow I like me a little bit of Monster Energy, maybe a quarter can. Dunno why though.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17189 on: March 23, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
I was introduced to RedBull at the same time as Vodka in grad school. Now I love me some top-shelf Vodka in martinis but hate RedBull.

I'm in the same boat -- I can't stand Red Bull, but I'm happy to watch events like the Red Bull Rampage.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #17190 on: March 23, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »

I'm in the same boat -- I can't stand Red Bull, but I'm happy to watch events like the Red Bull Rampage.

Or stratosphere. That actually made me pucker a bit. I loved it!!
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

FIT_Goat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17191 on: March 23, 2017, 04:45:07 PM »
One of the firefighters at the station drinks a minimum of 4 energy drinks a day.  He brings like 6 cans with him each shift.  I am not sure of the exact brand he drinks, I never pay that much attention because I never drink them.  But, we're probably talking $2 a can.  So, $12 a shift.  That's about $1,465 a year, assuming he only drinks them while at work (unlikely).

I can't judge the addiction to caffeine.  I drink around a pot of brewed coffee each day.  But, the cost is killer.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17192 on: March 23, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »

Me, I love the taste of Redbull, or I did for the original formula maybe it's changed in the last five years or so. I haven't had one in about that time, and in the years preceding I had a total of maybe four of them, but to me they taste like liquid sweet tarts.  But I don't buy them and I drink them, because that shit's expensive, high sugar, and dangerous.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17193 on: March 24, 2017, 03:24:09 AM »
Completely doable.

It's intentionally that expensive, to aim at the "it's expensive so it must be good" crowd, same as probiotic yoghurts and that stuff.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17194 on: March 24, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »

Over on this side of the Atlantic, it gets even better (or worse, I suppose).  We have rental wheels and rental tires.

I am so confused. How can you think you can afford a car if you have to rent the wheels? Is it common to buy a vehicle with no wheels? Or to think that you should upgrade safe and legal wheels with rented shiny wheels? Do you rent the wheels to go with a rental car? Rental cars still come with the wheels don't they?

Why is this a service and why are people paying for it?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #17195 on: March 24, 2017, 09:49:58 AM »

I am so confused. How can you think you can afford a car if you have to rent the wheels? Is it common to buy a vehicle with no wheels? Or to think that you should upgrade safe and legal wheels with rented shiny wheels? Do you rent the wheels to go with a rental car? Rental cars still come with the wheels don't they?

Seasonal tires for people with nowhere to store them?
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

cheapass

• Bristles
« Reply #17196 on: March 24, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »

I'd venture a guess that it's kind of like renting a TV from Rent A Center. If you don't have the cash flow to buy big, flashy 20" wheels and be "rollin' on dubs" than you can just rent the "dubs", problem solved.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:00:34 AM by cheapass »

Clean Shaven

• Bristles
« Reply #17197 on: March 24, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »

Cars come with wheels and tires here in the US. But they don't come with gigantic 24" shiny wheels and silly rubber band tires wrapped around them.

There's a market for these things, apparently. And there are predatory marketers and lenders willing to take advantage of it.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17198 on: March 24, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »
Completely doable.

Go find a stray dog with a dirty butthole.  Lick said butthole.  Give $4 to the dog for the privileged of licking its butthole.  Repeat ad nauseum.  Spend additional money on clothing with advertisements for the dog's butthole.

That is essentially red bull. 

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17199 on: March 24, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »
Completely doable.

Go find a stray dog with a dirty butthole.  Lick said butthole.  Give $4 to the dog for the privileged of licking its butthole.  Repeat ad nauseum.  Spend additional money on clothing with advertisements for the dog's butthole.

That is essentially red bull.

-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.
-Don't ever mistake wealth for worth.