Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5639338 times)

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #1700 on: February 06, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »

I wouldn't do that. The actuaries at the insurance company have worked the math in their favor. In general, only buy insurance on things you can't afford to have happen. Losing the ring would suck, but it won't kill you financially.
agreed, we paid an insurance rider for my engagement ring for a couple of years before I figured out--doh, not worth it.

While we always take the high deduction/self insure route, this was back in the day when we were young and a .85 c diamond ring seemed like a big deal to both of us. haha we were young.

But a $21,000 appraised ring (keep in mind that it is way inflated--it's part of the jewelry biz scam) still that's a fair amount.-

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1701 on: February 06, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »
My 50-something-year-old boss today informed us all he would "never" be able to retire. He and his wife live in the ritziest neighborhood in our city, they and their offspring are outfitted with the latest iphones/ipods, there's a crossfit membership, he buys breakfast and lunch out every workday... new clothes, musical equipment, electronics, itunes, etc. I just keep eating my brought-from-home lunch and nod in feigned sympathy.

I also had the annoying experience today of being the sole person in a department meeting without an iphone plunked on the table. About every two minutes our meeting was interrupted by a buzz/vibrate/ding whatever. So fucking annoying.

The sad thing is that I can do all of the above and still retire in a couple years

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #1702 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:25 AM »
My 50-something-year-old boss today informed us all he would "never" be able to retire. He and his wife live in the ritziest neighborhood in our city, they and their offspring are outfitted with the latest iphones/ipods, there's a crossfit membership, he buys breakfast and lunch out every workday... new clothes, musical equipment, electronics, itunes, etc. I just keep eating my brought-from-home lunch and nod in feigned sympathy.

I also had the annoying experience today of being the sole person in a department meeting without an iphone plunked on the table. About every two minutes our meeting was interrupted by a buzz/vibrate/ding whatever. So fucking annoying.

The sad thing is that I can do all of the above and still retire in a couple years

How is that sad?
Blogging about mindset and making different choices at http://mommywontwork.blogspot.com/

Undecided

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1703 on: February 07, 2014, 08:54:43 AM »

I wouldn't do that. The actuaries at the insurance company have worked the math in their favor. In general, only buy insurance on things you can't afford to have happen. Losing the ring would suck, but it won't kill you financially.
agreed, we paid an insurance rider for my engagement ring for a couple of years before I figured out--doh, not worth it.

While we always take the high deduction/self insure route, this was back in the day when we were young and a .85 c diamond ring seemed like a big deal to both of us. haha we were young.

But a $21,000 appraised ring (keep in mind that it is way inflated--it's part of the jewelry biz scam) still that's a fair amount.-

The replacement cost appraisals I've seen on jewelry pretty much reflect the replacement cost of the jewelry (always assuming certification where applicable). Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1704 on: February 07, 2014, 10:05:20 AM »
Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?
Diamond retail prices have an enormous markup, 100-200%. If the appraisal is saying that's what the retail price is, you'd be lucky to sell it for one third of that price on eBay.
http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/45768546804/diamonds-are-bullshit
http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/diamond/chap20_print.htm

That's still a really expensive diamond though, and even at that $7k eBay price, is worth far more than anything I own.

Undecided

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1705 on: February 07, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?
Diamond retail prices have an enormous markup, 100-200%. If the appraisal is saying that's what the retail price is, you'd be lucky to sell it for one third of that price on eBay.

That's still a really expensive diamond though, and even at that $7k eBay price, is worth far more than anything I own.

Maybe that's the difference, but if you compare higher quality used diamonds (which, I know, might not be something a lot of people here are buying or selling) that have certification and verification vs. the internet retail price (e.g., Blue Nile), there's nothing like that kind of spread. You might get a good deal in a local shop on a used stone, but once it's been certified and it's being sold in an honest transaction, there's not a huge discount vs. e.g., Blue Nile.

umterp1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1706 on: February 07, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »
Buddy:  If you have any boxes, I could use them, I'm moving

Me:  Oh cool, why are moving and where?

Buddy:  Right across the street, to a 3 br apartment

Me:  Why, it's just two of you?

Buddy:  Well the dog and the rent is only 400.00 a month more for two extra rooms

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #1707 on: February 07, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
Buddy:  If you have any boxes, I could use them, I'm moving

Me:  Oh cool, why are moving and where?

Buddy:  Right across the street, to a 3 br apartment

Me:  Why, it's just two of you?

Buddy:  Well the dog and the rent is only 400.00 a month more for two extra rooms

Why do people get caught by the "better value" trick. I know its good to buy groceries this way, example - "look oatmeals on sale lets get 4 bags instead of 2 because we will eat it later". But not everything.

I use to overhear a co-worker one time, who was very 'good' at sticking it. A couple of times she called her internet or phone company with a legitimate complaint, something that would get you money back or if you were like her and could really push it, a deal on your present bill. But every time I heard her she always managed to take the "better value" deal instead of the cheaper deal - the one she originally attempted to get. She would walk away with more of something for 'cheaper' - but in reality she ended up giving the company more of her money.

I really think this is because of bad education, we are taught from a really young age how to assess value in the wrong way.   
I am working hard to move towards Financial Independence.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1708 on: February 07, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
The replacement cost appraisals I've seen on jewelry pretty much reflect the replacement cost of the jewelry (always assuming certification where applicable). Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?

Just as a suggestion - for anybody getting a policy on a piece of jewelry, make sure it is agreed value / scheduled and not replacement value. Otherwise you are going to be fairly upset about the resulting payment.

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #1709 on: February 07, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
Coworker: "You really need to buy these essential oils from me!"
Me: "Hurm, let me research that and check the price."
Coworker "oh, well these are the only oils that have 'nonexistent made up marketing standard'!" And if you buy a membership, your oils are 5% off! This bottle of frankincense oil is only $94 with your discount!"

Me: O.O

I HATE MLM marketing in the workplace.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1710 on: February 07, 2014, 12:41:23 PM »

How is that sad?

It's sad that they can't do the same.  But in retrospect, I take it back.  I don't have a crossfit membership or buy a lot of new stuff.  I do have plenty of stuff, it's just old now.

Undecided

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1711 on: February 07, 2014, 01:02:18 PM »

Just as a suggestion - for anybody getting a policy on a piece of jewelry, make sure it is agreed value / scheduled and not replacement value. Otherwise you are going to be fairly upset about the resulting payment.

I didn't even realize someone would sell you a floater at unspecified replacement value. We've always had to use a scheduled value back up by a current appraisal of replacement value. I wouldn't just decline unknown replacement value coverage, I'd be suspicious of the agent selling it ...

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1712 on: February 07, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »
Why do people get caught by the "better value" trick. I know its good to buy groceries this way, example - "look oatmeals on sale lets get 4 bags instead of 2 because we will eat it later". But not everything.
If you're interested, this is discussed and quantified in Predictably Irrational, in one of the first couple chapters. Businesses can structure all of their product offerings and prices to get buyers to buy specific products at specific prices. It drives me nuts too, especially in a situation like this where it's not totally contrived by one seller.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1713 on: February 07, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
If you're interested, this is discussed and quantified in Predictably Irrational, in one of the first couple chapters. Businesses can structure all of their product offerings and prices to get buyers to buy specific products at specific prices. It drives me nuts too, especially in a situation like this where it's not totally contrived by one seller.

Been meaning to look that book up, and just found the audiobook to download from my public library. Thanks for the reminder!

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1714 on: February 07, 2014, 03:47:22 PM »
Update: I found the above edwardjayepstein.com link through a Google search, but discovered that you can change the chapter number in the URL and read the entire book. There's a lot of really interesting info in there.

"Investment-grade diamonds" and how they are appraised, plus how the appraisal itself is extremely subjective and results are not reproducible: http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/diamond/chap21_print.htm
The price "overhang" of diamonds, how De Beers marketing has to trick people into NEVER TRYING TO SELL THEIR DIAMONDS or the entire market will collapse because the supply on the secondary market would vastly outpace the number they release each year: http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/diamond/chap22_print.htm

Interview with the author: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yo6EVP-Trw&feature=youtu.be

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1715 on: February 07, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
I got a ring for $3500. Two years later when we were burglarized, I got $4500 back from it. I wasn't wearing because I was pregnant and finger was stolen.

Huh?!?!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1716 on: February 07, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
I got a ring for $3500. Two years later when we were burglarized, I got $4500 back from it. I wasn't wearing because I was pregnant and finger was stolen.

I'm sorry your finger was stolen -- I hope you got it back!

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1717 on: February 07, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »

Huh?!?!
Probably meant "finger was swollen." This is something else my wife and I are learning about rings that's just stupid: they have to precisely fit your finger to stay on and still be able to come off, but finger size is not something that's constant. If I go rock climbing, in that day my finger becomes much larger than it normally would be. My wife took a family heirloom ring to use as a wedding band and got it resized to fit her, but now it probably won't be the right size for her anymore soon. Another nail in the "a diamond is forever" coffin.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1718 on: February 07, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »

I'm sorry your finger was stolen -- I hope you got it back!

That must be what the extra $1k payout was for
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe."  -- Einstein

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1719 on: February 07, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »
Your fingers will always swell while exercising so don't wear it while exercising. It does not mean it won't fit later. It is common for rings not to fit in late pregnancy-weight gain. So the poster that thought his wife's ring will no longer fit her will only have that problem if she gains or loses a bunch of weight.  If that happens you can get the ring re-sized pretty reasonably.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1720 on: February 07, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
Every time I had a baby my feet grew 1/2 size even though I lost all the weight after pregnancy. I had big feet to begin with so 3 kids later I now wear a size 10 shoe-ugh!]

FunkyStickman

• Bristles
    • I Follow The Architect
« Reply #1721 on: February 07, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Yesterday was a bad day at work for me... got in trouble for hanging out with a coworker during break. And having fun.

Turns out, there's a guy in my cubicle who's fond of working through breaks and lunch. And he's not very friendly, either. So he gets irritated and is disturbed easily. Seeing the trend here? Oh yeah, and he's 15 years younger than me.

So, just because you don't have enemies, it doesn't mean everyone is your friend, either. I got thrown under the bus, even though I always get my work done on time, and done well. I don't work overtime and I don't work through breaks, and I don't take myself too seriously. Apparently that doesn't sit well with some people.

God, I can't wait till I can retire.
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities." - Mark Twain

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1722 on: February 07, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
Every time I had a baby my feet grew 1/2 size even though I lost all the weight after pregnancy. I had big feet to begin with so 3 kids later I now wear a size 10 shoe-ugh!]

My feet didn't grow, but I have heard of that happening before! But, can't you find better sales in that size? It seems easier to find clearance shoes in small and large sizes but not medium (I'm size eight shoe).

Easier than my size 14/15 feet.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #1723 on: February 07, 2014, 07:48:47 PM »

My feet didn't grow, but I have heard of that happening before! But, can't you find better sales in that size? It seems easier to find clearance shoes in small and large sizes but not medium (I'm size eight shoe).
Easier than my size 14/15 feet.

Or my 5 and a half.

T-Rex

• Bristles
  • Age 32. ♀ Veteran.
« Reply #1724 on: February 08, 2014, 04:28:34 AM »
Today, a sergeant told me he is purchasing a muscle car off of Craigslist for $48,000.

Me: "Holy shit, that is a lot for a car."
Him: "How much was yours?"
Me: "Let's just say it was less than half."
Him: "It's okay though, I'm getting it financed."
Me: "But then you are paying even more."
Him: "Not all at once though!"
"The APR is only 45.9% ... I'm already paying it off with my new credit cards!"

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1725 on: February 08, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
I didn't even realize someone would sell you a floater at unspecified replacement value. We've always had to use a scheduled value back up by a current appraisal of replacement value. I wouldn't just decline unknown replacement value coverage, I'd be suspicious of the agent selling it ...

It isn't that it's unknown. Replacement policies on jewelry are just a cap. So we pay anything up to the stated value. If you bought the piece from a national store, you overpaid and your appraisal is wrong. At my last company we used 1 guy in the area that networked with wholesale diamond guys. We paid him $100 and he would work up a wholesale + minor markup price. Sometimes the ring loss payments were half of the appraised values. You would end up with a like kind/quality diamond, just not with the huge markup from a big chain store.

A lot of people got pissed about this, not because they overpaid originally but that somehow they were being scammed by us. There were many arguments involving the words "You have the same diamond on your ring, what exactly upsets you about this?" Most of the time they were just going to pocket the money and weren't expecting such a low cut.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1726 on: February 08, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »

I hang out on a board where there are scads of posts about engagement rings. The posts about appraisals always (with one exception I remember)  have the bride giddy because the appraised price is higher than what they paid.  It's common to "get a deal" from a mall store for $2,000 and the appraised value is $4,500. Who does the appraising and for what purpose, and does the insurance company accept it--I don't know.

But I will pay closer attention to these appraisals. I just get a real sense that they are a scam.

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #1727 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:30 PM »
But I will pay closer attention to these appraisals. I just get a real sense that they are a scam.

i have the feeling you are right. We had my wife's jewels appraised for insurance puposes and they came back with an amount which was explained as "list value". When asked whether they would purchase the jewels for that price they said no because the gold-index was at X-euro's per gram (which was about a quarter of the appraised value).
The annoying thing was that they charged 0.5% of the appraisal as a fee which is a pretty nice incentive to bump the prices.
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #1728 on: February 09, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
Coworker: "You really need to buy these essential oils from me!"
Me: "Hurm, let me research that and check the price."
Coworker "oh, well these are the only oils that have 'nonexistent made up marketing standard'!" And if you buy a membership, your oils are 5% off! This bottle of frankincense oil is only $94 with your discount!"

Me: O.O

Ugh.  I can't imagine.     There is nothing sadder than someone getting sucked into MLM and hitting up their friends and acquaintances.   

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #1729 on: February 09, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
My husband's co-worker has been complaining all month about the cost of the new 4-bedroom house he just bought for him and his girlfriend ($350,000) and how broke they are (they both makes about $50,000 a year).   This week he told my husband that he spent $10,000 to furnish two rooms that they don't use.  When my husband asked why they'd do something like that he told him "well, what if someone comes over to see the house? We can't just show them empty rooms!"

Yikes.   

Join Ting and get $25 off a phone or a $25 credit if you bring your own.  Click below:

https://zk3fd144q5b.ting.com/

Undecided

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1730 on: February 09, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »

I hang out on a board where there are scads of posts about engagement rings. The posts about appraisals always (with one exception I remember)  have the bride giddy because the appraised price is higher than what they paid.  It's common to "get a deal" from a mall store for $2,000 and the appraised value is $4,500. Who does the appraising and for what purpose, and does the insurance company accept it--I don't know.

Anything can be a scam. Selling appraisals on jewelry at that price point ( because I'm assuming it's not required for insurance) or pricing them by a percentage of the appraised value should strike everyone as scams...

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #1731 on: February 09, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »

Ugh.  I can't imagine.     There is nothing sadder than someone getting sucked into MLM and hitting up their friends and acquaintances.   

I had this dilemma. My son's best friend's parents are in some MLM cosmetics. They did some babysitting for me and next thing I received was a sample of said cosmetics. Did think whether I should have offered payment for babysitting instead. I usually offer to look after their son but since then, I have had other friends to rely on for babysitting.

DougStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1732 on: February 10, 2014, 06:43:32 AM »
One way or another, we got on the topic of parenting philosophies at work.  A coworker shared that their approach is to give their son a toy every time he is good; and their son is very well behaved. 

Behave when going out to dinner? New toy.
Don't act up at the grocery store? New toy.
Learn something? New toy.
New toy? New toy.

I believe their son is 4-5 years old, and they already had to move their cars out of the garage to make room for all the toys they have but don't need anymore.  I can't imagine how materialistic this poor kid will be when he grows up.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1733 on: February 10, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »
I can't imagine how materialistic this poor kid will be when he grows up.

Some kids grow up and see specific traits in one or both of their parents that they don't like and vow not to emulate them. 

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1734 on: February 10, 2014, 08:53:47 AM »
One way or another, we got on the topic of parenting philosophies at work.  A coworker shared that their approach is to give their son a toy every time he is good; and their son is very well behaved. 

Behave when going out to dinner? New toy.
Don't act up at the grocery store? New toy.
Learn something? New toy.
New toy? New toy.

I believe their son is 4-5 years old, and they already had to move their cars out of the garage to make room for all the toys they have but don't need anymore.  I can't imagine how materialistic this poor kid will be when he grows up.

We have done that with our kids to a degree.  But we've also made a policy that for every new toy that they get, one has to get donated.  We also get ours from a thrift store on one of the second hand mommy's groups that my wife admin's for.

Maigahane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1735 on: February 10, 2014, 02:51:43 PM »
Not at work but heard at bookclub last night:

"I finally got my car registered, I haven't been able to drive it because my plates expired and we went on vacation so we couldn't afford to renew them until DH got paid this week. "

So going on vacation trumps keeping your car legal? And since you run a daycare out of your house isn't it pretty important to have a legal car? And didn't you realize that if you guys hadn't just bought a $41k Camaro (on a 7 or 8 year loan no less) you could easily have afforded registration on your VW?

Of course her husband is the same guy who said it would be stupid to pay off your debt if you won the lottery because you'll never need to borrow money again so who cares if it hurts your credit....*facepalm*
So I found out last week that they replaced the VW (which they were still making payments on as recently as last summer)...with a leased car. So they are paying on his new Camaro and now leasing a second car while still holding on to his old car so he doesn't have to drive the Camaro every day and are known to put themselves into positions where they forgo necessary expenses because they spent their money on unneccessary ones
*facepalm again*

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1736 on: February 10, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
Not at work but heard at bookclub last night:

"I finally got my car registered, I haven't been able to drive it because my plates expired and we went on vacation so we couldn't afford to renew them until DH got paid this week. "

So going on vacation trumps keeping your car legal? And since you run a daycare out of your house isn't it pretty important to have a legal car? And didn't you realize that if you guys hadn't just bought a $41k Camaro (on a 7 or 8 year loan no less) you could easily have afforded registration on your VW?

Of course her husband is the same guy who said it would be stupid to pay off your debt if you won the lottery because you'll never need to borrow money again so who cares if it hurts your credit....*facepalm*
So I found out last week that they replaced the VW (which they were still making payments on as recently as last summer)...with a leased car. So they are paying on his new Camaro and now leasing a second car while still holding on to his old car so he doesn't have to drive the Camaro every day and are known to put themselves into positions where they forgo necessary expenses because they spent their money on unneccessary ones
*facepalm again*

But it is the upper class income that is holding them down...

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1737 on: February 10, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
Guys where complaining about car payments and interest rates today at work. I was ease dropping so to speak (sitting in the same group but reading my book). I thought holy crap they have finally seen the light! Then one guy said "well I'll just never pay it off and trade it off ever two years and just keep my payments where I can handle them". And then he went on to brag about the $7000 dollar hot tub that he put on the cc in October and will finally pay it off when he gets his tax return.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

FunkyStickman

• Bristles
    • I Follow The Architect
« Reply #1738 on: February 11, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »
So, after the "incident" at work last week, word got around to my boss's boss. I got called in the office yesterday morning, and they decided for my "inappropriate behavior" they were going to give me 2 days off, unpaid.

I said "That's all? I'm good. You need anything before I go?"

Manager was like "You're not getting paid for two days."

And I was all like "Right. I was already approved for PTO this Friday, I still get that off too, right?"

Now, I'm not going to go into the politics of why I got written up... I'll just say it was a massive overreaction because it specifically annoyed somebody I really don't like, and he was making all kinds of stink about it.

What this tells me about corporate America... it's seen as a punishment to be given days off. I'm thinking I understand why suspending kids from schools doesn't work. They don't want to be there in the first place. You're not hurting them in any way, shape, or form.

Now, I really like my job, but in no way do I feel like I'd rather be there than home if I have a choice. It kind of reminds me of that dumb Cadillac commercial: work hard to get stuff... but I don't want more stuff. I want to spend time with my family.
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities." - Mark Twain

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #1739 on: February 11, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »

What this tells me about corporate America... it's seen as a punishment to be given days off. I'm thinking I understand why suspending kids from schools doesn't work. They don't want to be there in the first place. You're not hurting them in any way, shape, or form.

Ya know, I've always thought that policy was stupid. I knew kids growing up who would specifically get in trouble in order to get suspended.

wizlem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1740 on: February 11, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »
So, after the "incident" at work last week, word got around to my boss's boss. I got called in the office yesterday morning, and they decided for my "inappropriate behavior" they were going to give me 2 days off, unpaid.

I said "That's all? I'm good. You need anything before I go?"

Manager was like "You're not getting paid for two days."

And I was all like "Right. I was already approved for PTO this Friday, I still get that off too, right?"

Now, I'm not going to go into the politics of why I got written up... I'll just say it was a massive overreaction because it specifically annoyed somebody I really don't like, and he was making all kinds of stink about it.

Now, I really like my job, but in no way do I feel like I'd rather be there than home if I have a choice. It kind of reminds me of that dumb Cadillac commercial: work hard to get stuff... but I don't want more stuff. I want to spend time with my family.

I think the punishment is not paying you. They would probably rather make you keep working and punish you by not paying you but that's against the law. I do think giving you unpaid time off really defeats the punishment if you aren't an idiot and it doesn't cause some sort of financial hardship.

On to other topics. Overheard the boss of my boss telling another guy he didn't understand how anyone could afford to retire early. Probably doesn't help that he lives in a house 4x more expensive than mine(which is relatively nice) which he just upgraded to from a house almost half as much as the current one.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1741 on: February 11, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
I've been threatened with time off with no pay lol. I just said ok if you need me I'll be at the lake fishing.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1742 on: February 11, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
So, our company has this silly policy where they will not pre-pay any airfare when charged to your personal credit card.  Some of us don't travel much, so we don't qualify for a corporate card.

I got "stung" by this policy last year - all the other pre-paid costs were reimbursed in advance, and my flight costs were rejected.  Once I took the flight and had a boarding pass to show for it, they did quickly reimburse me.  No big deal, just mildly annoying.

My new co-worker came by a few minutes ago, asking when was the appropriate time to purchase a flight.  I explained that the company allows you to plan/purchase the trip  early, but the flight portion will be reimbursed after the trip.  My co-worker went on a whole spiel about how buying a ticket one month before is when you'll get the best price, but he would have to wait to book the flight about 10 days prior to departure, b/c he can't float the charge on his credit card for very long.

I wonder how much the company pays in additional flight fares every year due to this policy and the potential insolvency of many employees.  (This is the same employee who chose to contribute 4% to his 401K instead of 6%.  The company matches dollar for dollar up to 6%, but said employee "can't afford that much".)

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1743 on: February 11, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
I work for a small company and I dont think that they would ever try to punish with unpaid time off in part because they must know that many of us spend a good bit less than we make and would have the savings to be able to shrug it off and enjoy the time.  Also there might be a bit of jealousy from those that still had to come to work.  Is an odd but cool place.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1744 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
I work for a small company and I dont think that they would ever try to punish with unpaid time off in part because they must know that many of us spend a good bit less than we make and would have the savings to be able to shrug it off and enjoy the time.  Also there might be a bit of jealousy from those that still had to come to work.  Is an odd but cool place.

I don't think it's the unpaid time off so much that is supposed to be the punishment.  It's that it's very conspicuous that you are out, and everyone will know why.  You and I might not really care, but this is basically putting you on the company's public shit list - not good for a career.  Plus I'm sure it counts as a first warning or whatever step they need to see you out the door.  Don't try to collect unemployment anytime soon after getting written up in this manner.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1745 on: February 11, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
If you did mess something up the hit to your personal reputation would be more of a punishment.  Guess this is why they dont need to punish with unpaid forced leave.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

huadpe

• Stubble
« Reply #1746 on: February 11, 2014, 11:47:46 AM »
As an employer, I don't get the idea of meting out formal punishments in a workplace.  If someone is not able to effectively do their job, you talk to them about it and make clear what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it.  If the problem doesn't get fixed, either the employee is fired or I decide I can live with the problem and/or solve it by some other means.  But I don't see why it makes sense to purposely demotivate people by doing piddling stuff that doesn't actually save much money, pisses them off, and doesn't constructively address the problem.  It's not like I'm a high school dean who needs some way to keep kids under control.

I suppose in a union shop or something where termination was extremely difficult/impossible you might want some sort of formal punishments, but I don't know why any at will employer would do that.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1747 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
Someone bought a brand new car because the battery in their current car (2 years old, I think) needed replaced.

phred

• Bristles
« Reply #1748 on: February 11, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
Sounds like time to update the resume

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1749 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
Someone bought a brand new car because the battery in their current car (2 years old, I think) needed replaced.
What is this I don't even

I just replaced the battery in my 18 year old car.  And that battery was four years old.