Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253139 times)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #1700 on: February 07, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
Every time I had a baby my feet grew 1/2 size even though I lost all the weight after pregnancy. I had big feet to begin with so 3 kids later I now wear a size 10 shoe-ugh!]

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1701 on: February 07, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Yesterday was a bad day at work for me... got in trouble for hanging out with a coworker during break. And having fun.

Turns out, there's a guy in my cubicle who's fond of working through breaks and lunch. And he's not very friendly, either. So he gets irritated and is disturbed easily. Seeing the trend here? Oh yeah, and he's 15 years younger than me.

So, just because you don't have enemies, it doesn't mean everyone is your friend, either. I got thrown under the bus, even though I always get my work done on time, and done well. I don't work overtime and I don't work through breaks, and I don't take myself too seriously. Apparently that doesn't sit well with some people.

God, I can't wait till I can retire.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1702 on: February 07, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
Every time I had a baby my feet grew 1/2 size even though I lost all the weight after pregnancy. I had big feet to begin with so 3 kids later I now wear a size 10 shoe-ugh!]

My feet didn't grow, but I have heard of that happening before! But, can't you find better sales in that size? It seems easier to find clearance shoes in small and large sizes but not medium (I'm size eight shoe).

Easier than my size 14/15 feet.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #1703 on: February 07, 2014, 07:48:47 PM »

My feet didn't grow, but I have heard of that happening before! But, can't you find better sales in that size? It seems easier to find clearance shoes in small and large sizes but not medium (I'm size eight shoe).
Easier than my size 14/15 feet.

Or my 5 and a half.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1704 on: February 08, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
I didn't even realize someone would sell you a floater at unspecified replacement value. We've always had to use a scheduled value back up by a current appraisal of replacement value. I wouldn't just decline unknown replacement value coverage, I'd be suspicious of the agent selling it ...

It isn't that it's unknown. Replacement policies on jewelry are just a cap. So we pay anything up to the stated value. If you bought the piece from a national store, you overpaid and your appraisal is wrong. At my last company we used 1 guy in the area that networked with wholesale diamond guys. We paid him $100 and he would work up a wholesale + minor markup price. Sometimes the ring loss payments were half of the appraised values. You would end up with a like kind/quality diamond, just not with the huge markup from a big chain store.

A lot of people got pissed about this, not because they overpaid originally but that somehow they were being scammed by us. There were many arguments involving the words "You have the same diamond on your ring, what exactly upsets you about this?" Most of the time they were just going to pocket the money and weren't expecting such a low cut.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1705 on: February 08, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »

The replacement cost appraisals I've seen on jewelry pretty much reflect the replacement cost of the jewelry (always assuming certification where applicable). Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?

I hang out on a board where there are scads of posts about engagement rings. The posts about appraisals always (with one exception I remember)  have the bride giddy because the appraised price is higher than what they paid.  It's common to "get a deal" from a mall store for $2,000 and the appraised value is $4,500. Who does the appraising and for what purpose, and does the insurance company accept it--I don't know.

But I will pay closer attention to these appraisals. I just get a real sense that they are a scam.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1706 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:30 PM »
But I will pay closer attention to these appraisals. I just get a real sense that they are a scam.

i have the feeling you are right. We had my wife's jewels appraised for insurance puposes and they came back with an amount which was explained as "list value". When asked whether they would purchase the jewels for that price they said no because the gold-index was at X-euro's per gram (which was about a quarter of the appraised value).
The annoying thing was that they charged 0.5% of the appraisal as a fee which is a pretty nice incentive to bump the prices.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #1707 on: February 09, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
Coworker: "You really need to buy these essential oils from me!"
Me: "Hurm, let me research that and check the price."
Coworker "oh, well these are the only oils that have 'nonexistent made up marketing standard'!" And if you buy a membership, your oils are 5% off! This bottle of frankincense oil is only $94 with your discount!"

Me: O.O

I HATE MLM marketing in the workplace.

Ugh.  I can't imagine.     There is nothing sadder than someone getting sucked into MLM and hitting up their friends and acquaintances.   

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #1708 on: February 09, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
My husband's co-worker has been complaining all month about the cost of the new 4-bedroom house he just bought for him and his girlfriend ($350,000) and how broke they are (they both makes about $50,000 a year).   This week he told my husband that he spent $10,000 to furnish two rooms that they don't use.  When my husband asked why they'd do something like that he told him "well, what if someone comes over to see the house? We can't just show them empty rooms!"

Yikes.   

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1709 on: February 09, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »

The replacement cost appraisals I've seen on jewelry pretty much reflect the replacement cost of the jewelry (always assuming certification where applicable). Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?

I hang out on a board where there are scads of posts about engagement rings. The posts about appraisals always (with one exception I remember)  have the bride giddy because the appraised price is higher than what they paid.  It's common to "get a deal" from a mall store for $2,000 and the appraised value is $4,500. Who does the appraising and for what purpose, and does the insurance company accept it--I don't know.

Anything can be a scam. Selling appraisals on jewelry at that price point ( because I'm assuming it's not required for insurance) or pricing them by a percentage of the appraised value should strike everyone as scams...

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #1710 on: February 09, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »
I HATE MLM marketing in the workplace.

Ugh.  I can't imagine.     There is nothing sadder than someone getting sucked into MLM and hitting up their friends and acquaintances.   

I had this dilemma. My son's best friend's parents are in some MLM cosmetics. They did some babysitting for me and next thing I received was a sample of said cosmetics. Did think whether I should have offered payment for babysitting instead. I usually offer to look after their son but since then, I have had other friends to rely on for babysitting.

DougStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1711 on: February 10, 2014, 06:43:32 AM »
One way or another, we got on the topic of parenting philosophies at work.  A coworker shared that their approach is to give their son a toy every time he is good; and their son is very well behaved. 

Behave when going out to dinner? New toy.
Don't act up at the grocery store? New toy.
Learn something? New toy.
New toy? New toy.

I believe their son is 4-5 years old, and they already had to move their cars out of the garage to make room for all the toys they have but don't need anymore.  I can't imagine how materialistic this poor kid will be when he grows up.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1712 on: February 10, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »
I can't imagine how materialistic this poor kid will be when he grows up.

Some kids grow up and see specific traits in one or both of their parents that they don't like and vow not to emulate them. 

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1713 on: February 10, 2014, 08:53:47 AM »
One way or another, we got on the topic of parenting philosophies at work.  A coworker shared that their approach is to give their son a toy every time he is good; and their son is very well behaved. 

Behave when going out to dinner? New toy.
Don't act up at the grocery store? New toy.
Learn something? New toy.
New toy? New toy.

I believe their son is 4-5 years old, and they already had to move their cars out of the garage to make room for all the toys they have but don't need anymore.  I can't imagine how materialistic this poor kid will be when he grows up.

We have done that with our kids to a degree.  But we've also made a policy that for every new toy that they get, one has to get donated.  We also get ours from a thrift store on one of the second hand mommy's groups that my wife admin's for.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1714 on: February 10, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
Not at work but heard at bookclub last night:

"I finally got my car registered, I haven't been able to drive it because my plates expired and we went on vacation so we couldn't afford to renew them until DH got paid this week. "

So going on vacation trumps keeping your car legal? And since you run a daycare out of your house isn't it pretty important to have a legal car? And didn't you realize that if you guys hadn't just bought a $41k Camaro (on a 7 or 8 year loan no less) you could easily have afforded registration on your VW?

Of course her husband is the same guy who said it would be stupid to pay off your debt if you won the lottery because you'll never need to borrow money again so who cares if it hurts your credit....*facepalm*
So I found out last week that they replaced the VW (which they were still making payments on as recently as last summer)...with a leased car. So they are paying on his new Camaro and now leasing a second car while still holding on to his old car so he doesn't have to drive the Camaro every day and are known to put themselves into positions where they forgo necessary expenses because they spent their money on unneccessary ones
*facepalm again*

But it is the upper class income that is holding them down...

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1715 on: February 10, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
Guys where complaining about car payments and interest rates today at work. I was ease dropping so to speak (sitting in the same group but reading my book). I thought holy crap they have finally seen the light! Then one guy said "well I'll just never pay it off and trade it off ever two years and just keep my payments where I can handle them". And then he went on to brag about the $7000 dollar hot tub that he put on the cc in October and will finally pay it off when he gets his tax return.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1716 on: February 11, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »
So, after the "incident" at work last week, word got around to my boss's boss. I got called in the office yesterday morning, and they decided for my "inappropriate behavior" they were going to give me 2 days off, unpaid.

I said "That's all? I'm good. You need anything before I go?"

Manager was like "You're not getting paid for two days."

And I was all like "Right. I was already approved for PTO this Friday, I still get that off too, right?"

Now, I'm not going to go into the politics of why I got written up... I'll just say it was a massive overreaction because it specifically annoyed somebody I really don't like, and he was making all kinds of stink about it.

What this tells me about corporate America... it's seen as a punishment to be given days off. I'm thinking I understand why suspending kids from schools doesn't work. They don't want to be there in the first place. You're not hurting them in any way, shape, or form.

Now, I really like my job, but in no way do I feel like I'd rather be there than home if I have a choice. It kind of reminds me of that dumb Cadillac commercial: work hard to get stuff... but I don't want more stuff. I want to spend time with my family.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #1717 on: February 11, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »

What this tells me about corporate America... it's seen as a punishment to be given days off. I'm thinking I understand why suspending kids from schools doesn't work. They don't want to be there in the first place. You're not hurting them in any way, shape, or form.

Ya know, I've always thought that policy was stupid. I knew kids growing up who would specifically get in trouble in order to get suspended.

wizlem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1718 on: February 11, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »
So, after the "incident" at work last week, word got around to my boss's boss. I got called in the office yesterday morning, and they decided for my "inappropriate behavior" they were going to give me 2 days off, unpaid.

I said "That's all? I'm good. You need anything before I go?"

Manager was like "You're not getting paid for two days."

And I was all like "Right. I was already approved for PTO this Friday, I still get that off too, right?"

Now, I'm not going to go into the politics of why I got written up... I'll just say it was a massive overreaction because it specifically annoyed somebody I really don't like, and he was making all kinds of stink about it.

Now, I really like my job, but in no way do I feel like I'd rather be there than home if I have a choice. It kind of reminds me of that dumb Cadillac commercial: work hard to get stuff... but I don't want more stuff. I want to spend time with my family.

I think the punishment is not paying you. They would probably rather make you keep working and punish you by not paying you but that's against the law. I do think giving you unpaid time off really defeats the punishment if you aren't an idiot and it doesn't cause some sort of financial hardship.

On to other topics. Overheard the boss of my boss telling another guy he didn't understand how anyone could afford to retire early. Probably doesn't help that he lives in a house 4x more expensive than mine(which is relatively nice) which he just upgraded to from a house almost half as much as the current one.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1719 on: February 11, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
I've been threatened with time off with no pay lol. I just said ok if you need me I'll be at the lake fishing.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1720 on: February 11, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
So, our company has this silly policy where they will not pre-pay any airfare when charged to your personal credit card.  Some of us don't travel much, so we don't qualify for a corporate card.

I got "stung" by this policy last year - all the other pre-paid costs were reimbursed in advance, and my flight costs were rejected.  Once I took the flight and had a boarding pass to show for it, they did quickly reimburse me.  No big deal, just mildly annoying.

My new co-worker came by a few minutes ago, asking when was the appropriate time to purchase a flight.  I explained that the company allows you to plan/purchase the trip  early, but the flight portion will be reimbursed after the trip.  My co-worker went on a whole spiel about how buying a ticket one month before is when you'll get the best price, but he would have to wait to book the flight about 10 days prior to departure, b/c he can't float the charge on his credit card for very long.

I wonder how much the company pays in additional flight fares every year due to this policy and the potential insolvency of many employees.  (This is the same employee who chose to contribute 4% to his 401K instead of 6%.  The company matches dollar for dollar up to 6%, but said employee "can't afford that much".)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1721 on: February 11, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
I work for a small company and I dont think that they would ever try to punish with unpaid time off in part because they must know that many of us spend a good bit less than we make and would have the savings to be able to shrug it off and enjoy the time.  Also there might be a bit of jealousy from those that still had to come to work.  Is an odd but cool place.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1722 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
I work for a small company and I dont think that they would ever try to punish with unpaid time off in part because they must know that many of us spend a good bit less than we make and would have the savings to be able to shrug it off and enjoy the time.  Also there might be a bit of jealousy from those that still had to come to work.  Is an odd but cool place.

I don't think it's the unpaid time off so much that is supposed to be the punishment.  It's that it's very conspicuous that you are out, and everyone will know why.  You and I might not really care, but this is basically putting you on the company's public shit list - not good for a career.  Plus I'm sure it counts as a first warning or whatever step they need to see you out the door.  Don't try to collect unemployment anytime soon after getting written up in this manner.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1723 on: February 11, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
If you did mess something up the hit to your personal reputation would be more of a punishment.  Guess this is why they dont need to punish with unpaid forced leave.

huadpe

• Stubble
« Reply #1724 on: February 11, 2014, 11:47:46 AM »
As an employer, I don't get the idea of meting out formal punishments in a workplace.  If someone is not able to effectively do their job, you talk to them about it and make clear what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it.  If the problem doesn't get fixed, either the employee is fired or I decide I can live with the problem and/or solve it by some other means.  But I don't see why it makes sense to purposely demotivate people by doing piddling stuff that doesn't actually save much money, pisses them off, and doesn't constructively address the problem.  It's not like I'm a high school dean who needs some way to keep kids under control.

I suppose in a union shop or something where termination was extremely difficult/impossible you might want some sort of formal punishments, but I don't know why any at will employer would do that.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1725 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
Someone bought a brand new car because the battery in their current car (2 years old, I think) needed replaced.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1726 on: February 11, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
Sounds like time to update the resume

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1727 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
Someone bought a brand new car because the battery in their current car (2 years old, I think) needed replaced.
What is this I don't even

I just replaced the battery in my 18 year old car.  And that battery was four years old.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1728 on: February 11, 2014, 12:08:52 PM »

It's a tesla right? It's a battery swap out of a tesla that happens to be not covered by warranty or insurance? Please tell me something along these lines.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1729 on: February 11, 2014, 12:17:29 PM »

It's a tesla right? It's a battery swap out of a tesla that happens to be not covered by warranty or insurance? Please tell me something along these lines.

No. Regular car battery. Just doesn't feel comfortable with a car that's having problems.

It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1730 on: February 11, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »

No. Regular car battery. Just doesn't feel comfortable with a car that's having problems.

It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

oh my god. just... oh my god.

what did you SAY?!?!?!? or was it really just "overheard"/you weren't in the conversation so you couldn't say anything?

how old are they? is this the first car they've owned? I'm so confused.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1731 on: February 11, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
oh my god. just... oh my god.

what did you SAY?!?!?!? or was it really just "overheard"/you weren't in the conversation so you couldn't say anything?

how old are they? is this the first car they've owned? I'm so confused.

No, this was said to me in conversation. I did call it out as ridiculous, but I think she finds, for instance, the way I replaced my own intake manifold gasket on a 23 year old vehicle equally ludicrous. She and her husband are in their mid-40's, and her husband is, if anything, even less car savvy. They have owned many vehicles, as they only drive cars that are under factory warranty.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1732 on: February 11, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »

My new co-worker came by a few minutes ago, asking when was the appropriate time to purchase a flight.  I explained that the company allows you to plan/purchase the trip  early, but the flight portion will be reimbursed after the trip.  My co-worker went on a whole spiel about how buying a ticket one month before is when you'll get the best price, but he would have to wait to book the flight about 10 days prior to departure, b/c he can't float the charge on his credit card for very long.

Offer to put the charge on your rewards card instead.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1733 on: February 11, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »
Offer to put the charge on your rewards card instead.

yep.  Have done this once or twice for a fresh out who did not have a credit card with sufficient credit limit for a plane ticket.  Was not a balance issue but a limit issue.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1734 on: February 11, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
Very expensive plain tickets or very low credit card limit? I probably also couldn't put business class ticket to Australia on my credit card, not that we have such a policy. Two years ago 5 people from the department went for a business trip to Sydney, I've heard it was about 30,000$ in tickets alone…

Guizmo

• Bristles
« Reply #1735 on: February 11, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »

I suppose in a union shop or something where termination was extremely difficult/impossible you might want some sort of formal punishments, but I don't know why any at will employer would do that.

At the union job I worked at, you got 3 write ups and you were gone. Obviously, you could contest the validity of the write ups, but if you fucked up 3 times, you were getting fired. Additionally, there were fireable offenses, such as coming to work drunk, etc.

To me it seems stupid to punish someone with unpaid time off. Why not give a write up, after a couple, you get fired.

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1736 on: February 11, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »
We just found out our annual bonus amount from the Company today.  50% is automatically deposited into retirements account on your behalf, the other 50% may be opted to take home as a bonus.

This year is 9%

CW1:  I let them put 100% into retirement, but I don't save anything out of my paychecks.  I figure the amount they put in there is enough.
CW2:  Do I need to yell at you about this?   You need to start contributing...  I mean, I only save 1% but at least it's something.  (Directs attention to me): Do I need to yell at you about contributing as well?
Me:  I save a lot.  17%, and DH saves 20%
CW1 and CW2 look at me in amazement.
CW2:  Well, I am still paying off my loan I took out of my retirement.  It's not that bad though, was a one time charge of $75 and then a percentace penalty.  My husband saves $10 a paycheck, and he gets paid weekly.  His employer matches it too.
Me:  How much will his employer match?
CW2: I think up to $20 or something
Me:  You know you are throwing away free money, right?
CW2:  Well, my account went up $1,000 one quarter, so that kind of makes up for not contributing a lot

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1737 on: February 11, 2014, 01:50:44 PM »
At the union job I worked at, you got 3 write ups and you were gone. Obviously, you could contest the validity of the write ups, but if you fucked up 3 times, you were getting fired. Additionally, there were fireable offenses, such as coming to work drunk, etc.

How badly did you have to fuck up to get a write up? There is a vaguely similar system here, not really a union type of job but by law it's difficult to fire individual people (as opposed to firing many when entire departments are closed or downsized) in this country. We do all have unlimited work contracts after all…

Since I've been here (5 years) three people with permanent contracts have been fired (site is ca 500 employees). One was claiming to work when actually at home and was fired on the spot when it was discovered, another one was grossly incompetent plus ill half the time and eventually a way was found to get rid of her and the third one from what I've heard got multiple warnings and apparently there was no improvement.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1738 on: February 11, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »
Very expensive plain tickets or very low credit card limit?

Combination, last minute East Coast to Asia will not be cheap.  But have seen a few young guys hired with 3-4k limits, this is really good in someways I guess - proves they are not stupid and have 20k in cc debt.  But sort of sucks logistically as they cant pay for there own plane ticket and hotel.  Near risk free arbitrage cc miles for me :-)

6k per ticket trans pacific is not nearly the highest I have seen.  If they needed to arrive rested and ready to work that day sometimes it is worth it for an employer.  It is also a nice perk that can be given to employees tax free and as a thank you for going to deal with a mess onsite. 

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1739 on: February 11, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »
3-4k is a normal limit isn't it? At least here it is... My only proper credit card has a limit of 4,000 CHF. I could probably get more if I really needed, but the most I've spent with it is ca 2.5k a month so there is no point.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1740 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
The ex had a work CC for making travel purchases but she was responsible for the payments and would then file for reimbursement.  There were a couple times, in my pre-mustachian days, that I wondered if we'd be able to cover it pending reimbursement.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1741 on: February 11, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »

How badly did you have to fuck up to get a write up? There is a vaguely similar system here, not really a union type of job but by law it's difficult to fire individual people (as opposed to firing many when entire departments are closed or downsized) in this country. We do all have unlimited work contracts after all…

Since I've been here (5 years) three people with permanent contracts have been fired (site is ca 500 employees). One was claiming to work when actually at home and was fired on the spot when it was discovered, another one was grossly incompetent plus ill half the time and eventually a way was found to get rid of her and the third one from what I've heard got multiple warnings and apparently there was no improvement.

Around here, just depends on who you're in tight with. If you're teacher's pet, you can get away with anything. If not, they report you for anything.

Guess which group I'm in? Lol.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1742 on: February 11, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »
3-4k is a normal limit isn't it? At least here it is... My only proper credit card has a limit of 4,000 CHF. I could probably get more if I really needed, but the most I've spent with it is ca 2.5k a month so there is no point.
Before the financial crisis I had credit cards with limits of 15-20k, maybe more. It was insane. Then in 2009 one or two of my cards dropped my limit down to about 2k. I think now my cards are back up to 7-8k, but I don't pay attention to it as long as it's not ridiculously low like it was in '09.

My first credit card came with a limit of $750 in 2004ish. I was in college with not much income.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1743 on: February 11, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »
I have two credit cards, one with a 20k limit and one with a 14k. It's pretty ridiculous but makes my credit score look good since my credit usage ratio is low :)
[/quote]

We here are not so good at giving such large limits for credit cards. I'd have to actually earn 20k a month or close to it to get a limit that high. I'm not exactly poor, but 20k a month I'm not likely to be making any time soon :)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1744 on: February 11, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
I agree the cc limit thing is a bit silly. I got the chase freedom card a while back. Took me five minutes to sign up for it and BAM $16k limit.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1745 on: February 11, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »

This seems to be the new normal limit for more limited incomes/credit histories. Real credit cards are a new thing in my life (~3 months) and my limits are $7,500 and $4,500. My student loans did give me a decent credit history, but the first credit card seems to have bumped my credit score up from ~730 to ~780. My pre-everything income is ~50k/year. I honestly don't know what I'd do with a higher credit limit, and the second card I signed up for purely for the free monthly FICO score.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1746 on: February 11, 2014, 03:59:12 PM »
My co-worker is headed to Vermont, from TX.  Business Class isn't allowed for non-international flights, so we are talking a pretty typical coach ticket.

He could ask the office manager to use the company corporate card for a one-time event like this, but w/all the roadblocks our T&E department puts up, it's simply not worth the effort.  He'll just buy the ticket 10 days out, and file his expense report the second he returns to the office.  The miles would be cool, but not worth the effort required, IMHO.

My last T&E, I got flagged for $85 worth of meals over two days.  I filled in all the required information on the web-based program, but it didn't ask me to specify what meal of the day it was, so I didn't worry about it.  I had three meals each day, and our company limit is $75/day, so I was well under the limits.

The T&E police made a huge deal about it, and proceeded to send me an e-mail w/directions on how to add in this information.  I followed the instructions, and received a confirmation e-mail.  Two days later, they called to ask me when I was going to respond!  Finally, the woman decided to enter the details herself, and I was eventually paid.

Next time, I'm going to be ridiculously specific.  Breakfast on Monday, 7:14 AM!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1747 on: February 11, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »
3 of my coworkers are going out of town for a 1-day class. their flight left about 10 minutes ago. coworker #4, who pushed for these 3 to be able to go to this class because it is really relevant and will help us all out a lot, was trying to get a hold of one of the 3 travelers because he accidentally locked her out of a computer before he left. she got no response on his phone, and when she talked to the other two they said he wasn't at the airport yet. (this is like... 30 minutes ago.)

finally heard from him (via the others) when he got to the gate with minutes to spare. turns out his phone is turned off until... you guessed it... payday. yikes! I mean, I know we underpay people in this position, but not THAT much. plus this guy tries to get other people to go out to lunch with him ALL the time.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1748 on: February 11, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
Quick 401k work anecdote that just happened today:

Here's a bit of background.  I am, at 45, the youngest member of my small work team and also the lowest paid (but still well-paid.)

We're all sitting around the conference table this morning.

CoWorker #1: Hey, did the pay raises come through?
CW#2: Yes, they also give us back pay to January 14.
Me: Dang, now I have to lower my 401k percentage.
CW1: Lower it??  I thought you liked to save money.
Me: Well, I do, but I had my percentage dialed in so that I met the contribution limit right at the end of the year.  Now I'll have to lower it so I don't exceed the allowed maximum.
CW#2: Allowed maximum?  There's a limit?  What a ripoff.  (A perfect admixture of clueless and complainy-pantsness)
Me: I think I left my computer unlocked, I'll see you guys later.  (exit stage left)

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1749 on: February 11, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »
We need a term like "first world problems" for Mustachian-specific issues like this. "Dang it, I got a raise and now my 401(k) contribution will go past the annual max!"