Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252943 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #16950 on: March 13, 2017, 02:54:22 PM »
Saving is delayed spending.
Nope, there is an important difference. Many people think they are financially responsible because they manage to save some money each month for their summer vacation. When I save money, I don't plan to spend it ever (unless buying stocks counts as "spending").
Then why do you do "saving"?
If you just like many zeros on your bank account, I can lend you a pen.

The difference is in the planning, I don't know when or if I'll ever need the money I'm saving right now.  In other words, I don't have a plan as to what to spend it on.  So I can say I'm saving 40% of my income.  The other 60% includes money that I'm putting aside to replace my car, fund vacations etc in the next couple years, but it's A car replacement fund and vacation fund, not savings because I've already got something in my mind to spend it on. 

Do people who think all saving is deferred spending have a "savings rate" of 100% because their paychecks get "saved" in their accounts for a month before getting spent?

I would generally consider it "saving" if I am keeping it indefinitely and don't have a clear plan on what I'll use it for later. For example, I might have an "emergency" arise and need some of it or when the un-spent money pool hanging out in my "savings" account gets large enough, I might invest it in a rental property. My ultimate goal/plan is that all of the money I earn but don't spend on a need/immediate want will eventually be invested in a property but not until I have enough (I'm not really at the point where it's snowballing quickly yet) and some of it might get spent along the way on something else that came up - so I saved it until I needed it but I didn't invest it yet.

So I guess I think savings can be medium-term for items that are too large for me to cash-flow but investment is for the long haul, and the ultimate goal for all savings to be transitioned to. However, if I have a big expense and use some of the money I had saved that would drop my savings rate for the month/year because I spent it.

I think we can think of savings in different ways and that's ok - some people might only consider invested money saved and the rest in a kind of "I will use this later" limbo.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16951 on: March 13, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »
I plan to eventually spend ALL my money...   does that mean I have a zero savings rate, only deferred spending?

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #16952 on: March 14, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »
A dear friend (CW) at work mentioned that he was happy that his father stopped working for the military before CW started university because if the father hadn't, CW would have not qualified for student loans.

I asked how much their father was making in the military. Hearing the amount, I said CW would have been fine either way. His father made enough to have easily cashflowed university.
I'm a military pilot (officer) and my peers are making right around the 100k level (about 40% of that is tax free!). Now that so many people are looking to transition to the airlines for the much higher pay, its a routine conversation at work trying to figure out life hacks to make do on the 60-80k that you'll make your first couple years before seniority starts to kick in. I've heard people say they will enroll as a full time student and use their GI bill just to get the accompanying housing allowance while also in their first year at a new job. This from the same people who make 30 minute commutes alone in V8 SUV's and spend more on one kid's upbringing than all of my family of five's current living expenses. I try to slip in comments about how important it is to be able to live off savings for at least a few months and they look at me like I'm crazy for having that much money. Maybe I am, but I'll be a lot less stressed about my career transition than they are!

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #16953 on: March 14, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Anyone else hear the craziest things while at work?
Oh another good one was my coworker that bragged about his 4% mortgage rate and ability to almost make double payments. The whole reason he picked the credit union for the mortgage was that they consolidated his credit card debt at a lower interest rate of 9%. When asked why not apply the extra funds to the credit card, he said that keeping the card closer to maxed out helps them not overspend, and besides having your house paid for early is an important milestone in life and as he gets older he is intentionally working towards planning for the future. SMH

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16954 on: March 14, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
A dear friend (CW) at work mentioned that he was happy that his father stopped working for the military before CW started university because if the father hadn't, CW would have not qualified for student loans.

I asked how much their father was making in the military. Hearing the amount, I said CW would have been fine either way. His father made enough to have easily cashflowed university.
I'm a military pilot (officer) and my peers are making right around the 100k level (about 40% of that is tax free!). Now that so many people are looking to transition to the airlines for the much higher pay, its a routine conversation at work trying to figure out life hacks to make do on the 60-80k that you'll make your first couple years before seniority starts to kick in. I've heard people say they will enroll as a full time student and use their GI bill just to get the accompanying housing allowance while also in their first year at a new job. This from the same people who make 30 minute commutes alone in V8 SUV's and spend more on one kid's upbringing than all of my family of five's current living expenses. I try to slip in comments about how important it is to be able to live off savings for at least a few months and they look at me like I'm crazy for having that much money. Maybe I am, but I'll be a lot less stressed about my career transition than they are!
Yeesh, some people live on a whole different planet.  I guess at least they are looking "life hacks" vs "just" going into debt to support their current lifestyle...
Oh another good one was my coworker that bragged about his 4% mortgage rate and ability to almost make double payments. The whole reason he picked the credit union for the mortgage was that they consolidated his credit card debt at a lower interest rate of 9%. When asked why not apply the extra funds to the credit card, he said that keeping the card closer to maxed out helps them not overspend, and besides having your house paid for early is an important milestone in life and as he gets older he is intentionally working towards planning for the future. SMH
What is this I don't even

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16955 on: March 14, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »

Its clear that he has some sense of financial acumen... He understands that paying his house off is good, but jeebers... why not just call and lower the credit limit?

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #16956 on: March 14, 2017, 09:34:29 AM »
Is this the right place to post about coworkers recently buying and admiring each other's cars? Recently. two co workers bought Mustangs and one bought a convertible looking Chevy. I don't know what it's called but it looks like the Mustang. Talking about how the Mustang was like only 30 something grand with some type of Engine, etc.

I'm in no place to be shaming car purchases as prior to Mustachianism, I bought a new Honda Fit, but not even sure why they bought these cars as they all had perfectly running cars before this.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16957 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
Is this the right place to post about coworkers recently buying and admiring each other's cars? Recently. two co workers bought Mustangs and one bought a convertible looking Chevy. I don't know what it's called but it looks like the Mustang. Talking about how the Mustang was like only 30 something grand with some type of Engine, etc.

I'm in no place to be shaming car purchases as prior to Mustachianism, I bought a new Honda Fit, but not even sure why they bought these cars as they all had perfectly running cars before this.

Assume they're not Mustachian.

Reasons to buy the new cars:
1: They really liked them, and driving the cars makes them happy 
2: Their old cars were sucking the soul out of them (I HATED driving my wife's old Corolla) 
3: Perfectly running doesn't mean its right. I have a liesure suit from my dad that is in perfect condition. Still won't wear it
4: As my grandpa said, if it isn't illegal, immoral, and you can afford it, why not?
5: Maybe this was their childhood dream car 
6: They know it confuses you, so they did it to give you something to talk about 
7: They have to pick up (single) clients from time to time and wanted to impress them 
8: They just wanted something different

BTW, the Chevy was a Camaro.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16958 on: March 14, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »

To be fair, you get a lot of car for your buck with the new mustangs and camaros. Other cars cost a lot more for similar HP/torque (I'm looking at you Nissan...)
I totally get it, not everyone sees a car as something to get from A to B. Still, I'd rather buy an older sports car for 1/4 the price and add some modifications...They took the lazy way out. Not really something I'd brag about personally.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16959 on: March 14, 2017, 02:13:48 PM »
I've quit being surprised by new vehicle prices and now assume all new cars are $30K-$40K. This blows my mind but...

Meanwhile we drive much older and much, much cheaper vehicles which continue to be reliable and comfortable. Both vehicles combined cost less than a trip to Disney. ;)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16960 on: March 14, 2017, 03:14:08 PM »
I've quit being surprised by new vehicle prices and now assume all new cars are $30K-$40K. This blows my mind but...

Meanwhile we drive much older and much, much cheaper vehicles which continue to be reliable and comfortable. Both vehicles combined cost less than a trip to Disney. ;)
That all depends on how you do Disney. :)  Stay in a non-disney hotel, take a shuttle to the parks, pack your lunch, stay long enough to get the steep discounts...you can manage to do it fairly cheaply on a per-person-day basis!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16961 on: March 15, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
He kinda smiled and said, "A bit over $650."

SMH! It's been a long time since I've spent that much in a weekend, and that was when I went to visit my cousin for a vacation, and the $650 included the airfare.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16962 on: March 15, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »

That all depends on how you do Disney. :)  Stay in a non-disney hotel, take a shuttle to the parks, pack your lunch, stay long enough to get the steep discounts...you can manage to do it fairly cheaply on a per-person-day basis!

It's the stay long enough to get the steep discounts where they get you. Most people end up spending A LOT more because they go so many days! That way it's less per day.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16963 on: March 15, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »

SMH! It's been a long time since I've spent that much in a weekend, and that was when I went to visit my cousin for a vacation, and the $650 included the airfare.

About 15 years ago, I expensed a meal at the Steak and Lobster Co, Palm Springs CA, for 6 or 8 people, and only got to ~$500 with tip.   Still the most expensive meal/entertainment I've ever done. 
PS, I discovered that I'm not a big fan of lobster thermidor.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16964 on: March 15, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »

About 15 years ago, I expensed a meal at the Steak and Lobster Co, Palm Springs CA, for 6 or 8 people, and only got to ~$500 with tip.   Still the most expensive meal/entertainment I've ever done. 

You know, I really don't see what the big deal about lobster is. The last time I had lobster tail was about a decade ago and I don't recall the meal being anything special and a year or so ago I had a lobster roll that was very good but imo it wasn't the lobster that made it. I'm certain that it would have been great had it been a crab meat or something else. That said, I would love to do a lobster bake with some friends this summer.

Now when I was in SF a few years ago, me and my dad got a crab roll at fisherman's wharf that while likely overpriced (he paid) was absolutely amazing! I'm glad that I didn't pay for the food on that trip because it was all very good and all likely expensive. I think my favorite meal there was at HDR (Spicy Kimchi Pork Burrito for the WIN!).

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16965 on: March 15, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »
Scenario:  you're getting laid off.  You've been with your company for a long time, twenty-seven years, but you have money issues to the tune of talking to collection agencies every day.  Since you've been with the company so long, when everything ends you're going to walk out of here with a decent-sized five-figure check.  What are you going to do with it?

A)  Pay off those debts and get those crazy collection agencies off my back!

or

B)  I'm gonna buy me a new Escalade!  I DESERVE IT after all this time, mm-hmm!  Nice little retirement present!  The bills can wait!

Guess which one my coworker chose? 

/headdesk

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16966 on: March 15, 2017, 10:59:47 AM »
Scenario:  you're getting laid off.  You've been with your company for a long time, twenty-seven years, but you have money issues to the tune of talking to collection agencies every day.  Since you've been with the company so long, when everything ends you're going to walk out of here with a decent-sized five-figure check.  What are you going to do with it?

or

B)  I'm gonna buy me a new Escalade!  I DESERVE IT after all this time, mm-hmm!  Nice little retirement present!  The bills can wait!

/headdesk

Maybe he plans to live in it? He better get the extended version :)

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16967 on: March 15, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »

or

/headdesk

Maybe he plans to live in it? He better get the extended version :)

She already lives with her sister rent-free.  AND she has a 2016 Ford Focus. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16968 on: March 15, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »

You know, I really don't see what the big deal about lobster is. The last time I had lobster tail was about a decade ago and I don't recall the meal being anything special and a year or so ago I had a lobster roll that was very good but imo it wasn't the lobster that made it. I'm certain that it would have been great had it been a crab meat or something else. That said, I would love to do a lobster bake with some friends this summer.

Now when I was in SF a few years ago, me and my dad got a crab roll at fisherman's wharf that while likely overpriced (he paid) was absolutely amazing! I'm glad that I didn't pay for the food on that trip because it was all very good and all likely expensive. I think my favorite meal there was at HDR (Spicy Kimchi Pork Burrito for the WIN!).

You gotta get your lobster at the right place.  Usually the "right place" is a snack bar-looking hut on a pier with some picnic tables out front and there are a lot of fishing boats tied up right near it, and there's a constant train of scruffy-looking 5-gal buckets coming off of said fishing boats into the back of said snack bar hut.  This place is probably somewhere on the New England coast.

Something like this:

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16969 on: March 15, 2017, 02:30:56 PM »

You gotta get your lobster at the right place.  Usually the "right place" is a snack bar-looking hut on a pier with some picnic tables out front and there are a lot of fishing boats tied up right near it, and there's a constant train of scruffy-looking 5-gal buckets coming off of said fishing boats into the back of said snack bar hut.  This place is probably somewhere on the New England coast.

Yeah I can definitely see the appeal of lobster straight from the fishing boats. I want to go to Maine sometime for lobster, it's just not that high up on my list of vacation destinations.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16970 on: March 15, 2017, 02:35:08 PM »

Yeah I can definitely see the appeal of lobster straight from the fishing boats. I want to go to Maine sometime for lobster, it's just not that high up on my list of vacation destinations.

Don't need to go all the way to Maine.  Suggest anywhere on the CT/RI/MA shoreline, Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, etc etc etc.  I grew up in this area so I'm biased but I really think it's one of the most beautiful parts of the country.  There's all kinds of stuff to do, to, between Boston and NYC and points between.  Go before Memorial Day or after Labor Day to avoid the crowds.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16971 on: March 15, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »

Don't need to go all the way to Maine.  Suggest anywhere on the CT/RI/MA shoreline, Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, etc etc etc.  I grew up in this area so I'm biased but I really think it's one of the most beautiful parts of the country.  There's all kinds of stuff to do, to, between Boston and NYC and points between.  Go before Memorial Day or after Labor Day to avoid the crowds.

Good to know! I've been to Martha's Vineyard and didn't think it was anything special, but that likely is due to the people I was with. There is so much of this country and world I need to explore.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16972 on: March 16, 2017, 03:05:44 AM »
All this talk about lobster reminds me of a law we have on the books. The prisons aren't allowed to feed inmates lobster more than three times a week. Until very recent decades, lobster was considered poor man's food. Lobsters are bottom feeders but great marketing has ensured that maritime lobsters are a high-demand luxury food.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16973 on: March 16, 2017, 03:23:57 AM »
All this talk about lobster reminds me of a law we have on the books. The prisons aren't allowed to feed inmates lobster more than three times a week. Until very recent decades, lobster was considered poor man's food. Lobsters are bottom feeders but great marketing has ensured that maritime lobsters are a high-demand luxury food.

Funny.
I guess the same marketing trick has been done with eel, also a fish that eats cadavers and is considered luxury food in some countries, at least when smoked.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16974 on: March 16, 2017, 03:25:15 AM »
Then why do you do "saving"?
If you just like many zeros on your bank account, I can lend you a pen.

I laughed too hard at this this morning! :D

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16975 on: March 16, 2017, 03:38:50 AM »
Talking about sea food - back in Puerto Rico, I remember going to the river across the street from my home as a 8yo+ and catching freshwater catfish and crabs, along with other fish, and taking them back to my grandma's who lived next to us and her frying everything up for us.   

While she cleaned and cooked the seafood. My brothers and I would walk a down the street, knock some coconuts, mangoes, and chiranjas(grapefruit/orange mix) and we would make fresh juices and drink fresh coconut water.

Annnnnd I considered myself dirt poor back then. Ha!

Love this :) I remember wanting to go blackberrying as a child and being told that if we wanted fruit we could just buy it from the supermarket.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16976 on: March 16, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »
Funny.
I guess the same marketing trick has been done with eel, also a fish that eats cadavers and is considered luxury food in some countries, at least when smoked.

Yeah, but eel actually tastes good.  I love unagi.

It's funny, I remember liking lobster as a child, but didn't enjoy it as an adult (most times were in Montauk NY, probably once in PEI).  Maybe I just liked the melted butter?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16977 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
The car hopping is apparently from a desire to have a nice car that is repair free. Why pay for a $800 repair when you can trade up? Except that it means perpetual payments. Buy something, fix what needs to be fixed and drive it for the next decade. ALL of my used cars need a few repairs at the beginning it seems but then they are reliable for a long, long time.
Aren't most new cars under warranty for a few years? 

Buying a new car (or even a new to you car) every year sounds miserable.  I hope to have my car for at least another 5-10 years.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16978 on: March 16, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »

On a side note I also did another house call for a retired lady who lives in a very nice house and we got to talking cars. She motioned to her late 90s Pontiac Vibe and said its been a wonderful car. Clearly a Moustachian lady from way back enjoying the benefits of careful choices earlier in life. I know enough about her indirectly to know she is well off and generous with her charities.

Vibe didn't come out until 2003

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16979 on: March 16, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
HA! I learned something. Done. I'm calling it a day. j/k

All the exterior plastic had turned grey so I assumed it was older than it was. 

Just had a DUH moment. Coworker is probably trading in and upgrading each time a car has a significant problem that is "unaffordable". Some creative financing magic and newer car, similar payment, problem gone, debt extended...

Not sharing here so much to ridicule just SMH, would like to help but I'm not the voice of reason that has the power to break expensive habits in other people.

Silently leading by example.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:50:25 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

letthelightin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16980 on: March 16, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
DH came home one day and told me his coworkers asked him to join a new group they were creating.

There was going to be 10 members in the group. Each week, every member would contribute $50.
At the end of the week, the group would hold a drawing, and the winner would take home that week's money.
They would continue this for 10 weeks, and each person could win only once.

My husband politely declined to join, and his coworker's rebuttal was "But you're guaranteed to win $500!!"

Sadly, DH has no further knowledge on how this turned out.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16981 on: March 16, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »
DH came home one day and told me his coworkers asked him to join a new group they were creating.

There was going to be 10 members in the group. Each week, every member would contribute $50.
At the end of the week, the group would hold a drawing, and the winner would take home that week's money.

My husband politely declined to join, and his coworker's rebuttal was "But you're guaranteed to win $500!!"

lol, while not the most unmustachian thing in this thread, since everyone is going to break even, that's definitely the most pointless.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #16982 on: March 16, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »

lol, while not the most unmustachian thing in this thread, since everyone is going to break even, that's definitely the most pointless.

Unless somebody drops out once they win...

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16983 on: March 16, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »

We have similar laws along all the old salmon rivers: "Crofters and servants shall not be served salmon more than 3 times a week". Today the wild salmon is gone from several of the rivers, but the farmed salmon is getting so cheap that the laws might come to use again.

Lobster is nice, but I think crab claws taste equally good. I don't really get the crayfish hype - loads of work and a big mess for very little food.

Bumperpuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16984 on: March 16, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

That system is called a sou-sou (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sou-sou). It makes sense if you're in an area without banking, or have limited control over your finances, but I'm assuming those things don't apply to you're co-workers.

letthelightin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16985 on: March 17, 2017, 08:21:38 AM »
That system is called a sou-sou (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sou-sou). It makes sense if you're in an area without banking, or have limited control over your finances, but I'm assuming those things don't apply to you're co-workers.

Interesting! Thank you for sharing that!

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #16986 on: March 17, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »

Marketing and butter. Lots and lots of butter. Ask a lobster fan to eat one without butter and see what happens.

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #16987 on: March 17, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »

Marketing and butter. Lots and lots of butter. Ask a lobster fan to eat one without butter and see what happens.

I would take you up on that in a split second.  I once ate a lobster in the airport using only its own claws as a tool (no butter, no cutlery).  I love the taste so much, but it's not a cheap treat.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16988 on: March 17, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
I've tried lobster a couple of times and just don't get it. To me it was like crab-meets-rubber-eraser. If others enjoy it though, more power to them.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16989 on: March 17, 2017, 11:10:54 AM »
I've tried lobster a couple of times and just don't get it. To me it was like crab-meets-rubber-eraser. If others enjoy it though, more power to them.
It depends on how it is cooked.  Often people just throw the lobster in boiling water and done vs, give them some white wine, plus warm water, increase the temp and then cook it over time.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #16990 on: March 17, 2017, 01:22:03 PM »

I would take you up on that in a split second.  I once ate a lobster in the airport using only its own claws as a tool (no butter, no cutlery).  I love the taste so much, but it's not a cheap treat.

This is just one person's opinion but I gotta side with carless on this one.  I thoroughly enjoy lobster without butter or anything else.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16991 on: March 17, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »

Sure. Want to buy me one if I make it to Boston sometime?

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #16992 on: March 17, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »

Interesting! Thank you for sharing that!
This kind of system is common in the Hmung community here.  They also pool money to provide home and real estate loans.  It's a great system when everyone contributes, but a few deadbeats can wreak havoc unless they're kicked out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16993 on: March 20, 2017, 04:53:45 AM »
Yeah, I've struggled to make lobster turn out well at home. It seems like the effort to reward ratio is much too high; so many things that are just as tasty but don't require so much work to get right.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16994 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
Before this gets too foamy, I thought I would share what I did on Saturday. I co-host a dinner group that tries to meet monthly for an international dinner (each month a different country). This month we did France, for it I made beef bourguignon for one of the main courses and my friend made bouillabaisse for the other main entree. Appetizers included escargot, cheese/bread, and caviar. For dessert we had custard, crepes, and a flan-like dish.

The meal was insanely extravagant and delicious, one of the best meals I can recall every having. Because the main host doesn't drink we didn't serve wine or any alcohol. Total cost was about $20 per person, mostly to cover the seafood!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16995 on: March 20, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »

Unless somebody drops out once they win...
The first, second and third winners are going to continue to pay for 9, 8 and 7 more weeks when they have zero chance to win! They don't know people!
 Let us know if it falls apart.
 Hey, I know, keep each weeks winnings until the end of the 10 weeks before distribution.
Then give each person $500! :-)
A community that does this as a financing tool may do better, but not as an office pool.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16996 on: March 20, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
I have more information about a coworker I mentioned before.

He's 20-21, he bought a used truck and at the end of the loan is going to pay $33k for it. Not sure how much the payments are. He had absolutely no credit going in.

The interest rate is 8.5%. I shit you not.

He also had to get a loan for the tires which are $360 a piece.

He has another, older truck that he cranks and drives around the yard occasionally to keep it running.

I haven't mentioned the best part. He makes $12 an hour.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16997 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:54 AM »
I have more information about a coworker I mentioned before.

He's 20-21, he bought a used truck and at the end of the loan is going to pay $33k for it. Not sure how much the payments are. He had absolutely no credit going in.

The interest rate is 8.5%. I shit you not.

He also had to get a loan for the tires which are $360 a piece.

He has another, older truck that he cranks and drives around the yard occasionally to keep it running.

I haven't mentioned the best part. He makes $12 an hour.
Meh, thats only a bit over a month of work for the interest, and the old is not one you want to be seen at work driving around with it, right? So not a bad decision at all!

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #16998 on: March 21, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »
If I had a nickel for every hillbilly I saw driving around my Appalachian hometown in a truck that was worth as much as their trailer...  But I won't lie, I would really love to have a new shiny F-150.  I just know I can't afford it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16999 on: March 22, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »
Look at the tires. How many are rolling around in fancy trucks with bald tires? I've seen a few with REALLY bald tires.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!