Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252814 times)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #16650 on: February 06, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
We've had activities starting anywhere from 6-730PM for our 4y/o.  6 is tough, because it means leaving at 5PM on the dot or a little before, and then it's a mad rush to get to school, pick her up, get her home, change her, get her to wolf down something quick, then get back in the car and get to her activity on time.  And we (mom and dad) end up eating afterwards at about 730-8PM.  7 is a little better because we can all eat beforehand.

I can't imagine how people with big commutes are able to manage this...

If we still had our long commute (we bought a house, then got jobs much further a way a few years later), we'd have to work from home, one parent go in really early and leave early, tag team it, carpool, etc. Just get creative. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #16651 on: February 06, 2017, 01:49:38 PM »
One of my coworkers told me yesterday that his family does not grocery shop because they 'always eat out' and only make dinner at home about once a month.  He explained that this is because he and his wife have 2 kids, ages 4 and 6, and so eating out is easier since they do not have to clean up the mess the kids make.  He then said that his kids will sometimes complain "Oh, do we have to go to Carabba's again?"  He also mentioned that his daughter has trouble staying awake in school, but they just can't get her to bed any earlier because by the time they go out to dinner, get home, and do their nighttime routine it is after 9pm!  I was completely blown away that a family would think it's normal and sensible to eat out every day, but managed to mask my surprise and swallow any critical comments.  He also said they've just stopped buying groceries because they just expire before they can use them - all of them also buy lunch everyday.  How many people out there are living this way without stopping to think about how much money they're wasting??

omg I can't even! I don't understand people who regularly keep their small children up too late. Yes I was invited to 2 super bowl parties. No I didn't go because bedtime is 7pm. Yep 7pm sorry, sleep come first.  We make very rare exceptions to drive back from family events (already in our PJ's).    Also how are those kids ever going to learn to cook????? Oy vay. This is wrong on so many levels not aligned with my values without even considering finances.

Have you ever been to Wal-mart between like 11pm - 4am?

Tons of parents with their children. And not babies sleeping in the cart. Like, toddlers and 7 year olds walking around.

There's a subculture that believes it's good to get kids out of the house or apartment in the evening, or whenever else the parents are available. Sometimes they just drive around and get fast food. Other times they do errands and go grocery shopping for one or two items. The goal is to tire the kids out so that they'll fall asleep around midnight or 1 AM instead of being up late. Unless of course they're being used to aid in shoplifting. That happens sometimes too. But mostly parents are looking for a "safe" place to exercise their children because they're afraid to let them outdoors. The parks and schoolyards are overrun with druggies and also teens who have nothing to do and nowhere to go, and drunk drivers are everywhere. To the parents (many of whom were raised the same way) the malls or shopping centers are the only "safe" places.

Apparently cutting out the caffeinated beverages and sugar, or letting the little dears exercise a bit, is Just Not OK.

The worst part of it is that the kids learn either that it's OK to shoplift or that it's normal to go to the mall, the store or some similar place every single day and buy something.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16652 on: February 06, 2017, 05:38:55 PM »
CW1: I need help with punting
CW2: what punting?
CW1: Joined a punting club I pay $50 and it’s my turn to bet soon
Me: $50 a week, fortnight or month? 
CW1: I don’t know… maybe a month?
Me: $50 so you gave [group of coworkers] money for gambling but you don’t know what you are betting on or how often you bet?
CW1: They all take turns putting bets on things, we can bet on anything.
Me: How often do they win or how much have the won in the last year?
CW1: I don’t know
Me: So basically you just hand over $50 whenever they ask and get nothing?
CW1: …. But its fun….

I dont really gamble very often (maybe like $30 a year) but the idea of this just doesnt make much sense to me

I would totally join this club and collect all the $50's.  I would make a bet with myself that my coworkers would never realize I just deposited all their money in my bank account.

One of my coworkers told me yesterday that his family does not grocery shop because they 'always eat out' and only make dinner at home about once a month.  He explained that this is because he and his wife have 2 kids, ages 4 and 6, and so eating out is easier since they do not have to clean up the mess the kids make.  He then said that his kids will sometimes complain "Oh, do we have to go to Carabba's again?"  He also mentioned that his daughter has trouble staying awake in school, but they just can't get her to bed any earlier because by the time they go out to dinner, get home, and do their nighttime routine it is after 9pm!  I was completely blown away that a family would think it's normal and sensible to eat out every day, but managed to mask my surprise and swallow any critical comments.  He also said they've just stopped buying groceries because they just expire before they can use them - all of them also buy lunch everyday.  How many people out there are living this way without stopping to think about how much money they're wasting??

You don't have to eat at a sit-down restaurant every night to be lazy like this, though.  My dad would just bring home a Costco pizza.  Like every night.  Problem solved (relatively) cheaply.

It wasn't healthy, but on the other hand I think I'm fine now and ended up learning to cook.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16653 on: February 06, 2017, 06:46:35 PM »
Me: $50 so you gave [group of coworkers] money for gambling but you don’t know what you are betting on or how often you bet?

I dont really gamble very often (maybe like $30 a year) but the idea of this just doesnt make much sense to me

I would totally join this club and collect all the $50's.  I would make a bet with myself that my coworkers would never realize I just deposited all their money in my bank account.

of
It would be funny if everyone in the pool simply pocked the money when it was their turn instead of making a bet. That way everyone has fun and no one loses money (unless someone doesn't pay their share).

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16654 on: February 06, 2017, 07:00:52 PM »

omg I can't even! I don't understand people who regularly keep their small children up too late. Yes I was invited to 2 super bowl parties. No I didn't go because bedtime is 7pm. Yep 7pm sorry, sleep come first.  We make very rare exceptions to drive back from family events (already in our PJ's).    Also how are those kids ever going to learn to cook????? Oy vay. This is wrong on so many levels not aligned with my values without even considering finances.

Have you ever been to Wal-mart between like 11pm - 4am?

Tons of parents with their children. And not babies sleeping in the cart. Like, toddlers and 7 year olds walking around.

There's a subculture that believes it's good to get kids out of the house or apartment in the evening, or whenever else the parents are available. Sometimes they just drive around and get fast food. Other times they do errands and go grocery shopping for one or two items. The goal is to tire the kids out so that they'll fall asleep around midnight or 1 AM instead of being up late. Unless of course they're being used to aid in shoplifting. That happens sometimes too. But mostly parents are looking for a "safe" place to exercise their children because they're afraid to let them outdoors. The parks and schoolyards are overrun with druggies and also teens who have nothing to do and nowhere to go, and drunk drivers are everywhere. To the parents (many of whom were raised the same way) the malls or shopping centers are the only "safe" places.

Apparently cutting out the caffeinated beverages and sugar, or letting the little dears exercise a bit, is Just Not OK.

The worst part of it is that the kids learn either that it's OK to shoplift or that it's normal to go to the mall, the store or some similar place every single day and buy something.
I regularly do my shopping at big box stores at these hours - it's not some place I would desire to take my kids. I think the druggies all leave the play ground and go hang out in the parking lot of Walmart at this time.

stashyMel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16655 on: February 06, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
So there's a new neighbor at work. She is house hunting. She said to a nearby contract employee - "I don't understand how someone only has 1 certain hour to show off a $600K house." My thought was why are you looking at a $600K house. I'm sure the contract employee who might be making $50K was flabbergasted. The employee speaking might make $100k. Gotta have that stupid house I guess.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16656 on: February 06, 2017, 07:15:34 PM »

7 pm.  Ah, 7 pm would be glorious.  I wonder how much of this is kid personality, family style, etc.

For the most part, the people I know whose kids go to bed that early (6-7:30 pm) have a stay at home parent.  I don't know why there is the difference?  But at least in my cohort, that seems to be the case. 

We would have a very hard time with 7 pm.  We don't get home until 5:30 pm most days (that's just a regular day, not a sports day).  We don't finish dinner until 6:30 or 7 pm.  There would be no down time, play time bath time.

Neither one of my boys is a sleeper.  They are always on the low end for the age.  So, if at age 2 you should be sleeping 12-14 hours a day, they would be at 11.5 to 12. 
If at a different age, you should be sleeping 10-12, they would be at 10.

In any event, the big boy sleeps from 9 pm to 6:30 or 7 or 7:30 am (he's 10).
The little guy sleeps from 9:30 until 7:30 (he's 4).  Plus he naps at preschool, for 1 to 2.5 hours.

The naps kill me (he will go to sleep an hour earlier on weekends when he doesn't nap, important because I go to sleep at 9.)  Yesterday he fell asleep on the couch at 4, and napped for 1.5 hours.  I knew that was going to be  a mistake.  I put him to bed as normal and he was STILL AWAKE at 10:35 pm.

I do have two friends who are SAHMs with kids who stay up late. But generally, these families are night owls.  So the kids go to bed at 9 (aged 6 and 4), and the parents are up until midnight.  The entire "night" is shifted a few hours later.

I realize every kid and family is different. I'm a sleeper and my kids seems to take after me.  You seem aware of what type of kid you have (not much of a sleeper) and adjust your schedule accordingly. The part that bugged me in the OP story (I guess not really 'OP' in this thread) is that the children seemed to be seeing some negative effects "trouble staying awake in school" due to the sleep schedule. If the kids were happy as a clam and doing well on that schedule I'd say more power to 'em. As I noted my values are that as a parent I should respect my child's need for sleep... whatever that need it. The people going out to eat don't seem to be doing that.

I did actually go to Walmart before my late shift the other night (10pm) and saw a bunch of very tired kids. I try very hard to have a 'mile in their shoes' type attitudes, but it's hard.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:22:48 PM by kimmarg »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16657 on: February 06, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
"I don't understand how someone only has 1 certain hour to show off a $600K house."

Nice little humblebrag there....

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16658 on: February 06, 2017, 09:31:20 PM »

of
It would be funny if everyone in the pool simply pocked the money when it was their turn instead of making a bet. That way everyone has fun and no one loses money (unless someone doesn't pay their share).

haha i think the money goes into a sportsbet or something account so everyone can see the bets. I know that's how it works with the lotto club some people are members of. they have a shared lotto account and everyone can see the numbers and how much has been won

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16659 on: February 06, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
haha i think the money goes into a sportsbet or something account so everyone can see the bets. I know that's how it works with the lotto club some people are members of. they have a shared lotto account and everyone can see the numbers and how much has been won

My dad is in a lotto club like this at his work. I keep telling him that I think it's a waste of his money, but at least since they use a similar site to count the money he knows exactly where his money is going...

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
« Reply #16660 on: February 07, 2017, 03:36:11 AM »

7 pm.  Ah, 7 pm would be glorious.  I wonder how much of this is kid personality, family style, etc.

For the most part, the people I know whose kids go to bed that early (6-7:30 pm) have a stay at home parent.  I don't know why there is the difference?  But at least in my cohort, that seems to be the case. 

We would have a very hard time with 7 pm.  We don't get home until 5:30 pm most days (that's just a regular day, not a sports day).  We don't finish dinner until 6:30 or 7 pm.  There would be no down time, play time bath time.

Neither one of my boys is a sleeper.  They are always on the low end for the age.  So, if at age 2 you should be sleeping 12-14 hours a day, they would be at 11.5 to 12. 
If at a different age, you should be sleeping 10-12, they would be at 10.

In any event, the big boy sleeps from 9 pm to 6:30 or 7 or 7:30 am (he's 10).
The little guy sleeps from 9:30 until 7:30 (he's 4).  Plus he naps at preschool, for 1 to 2.5 hours.

The naps kill me (he will go to sleep an hour earlier on weekends when he doesn't nap, important because I go to sleep at 9.)  Yesterday he fell asleep on the couch at 4, and napped for 1.5 hours.  I knew that was going to be  a mistake.  I put him to bed as normal and he was STILL AWAKE at 10:35 pm.

I do have two friends who are SAHMs with kids who stay up late. But generally, these families are night owls.  So the kids go to bed at 9 (aged 6 and 4), and the parents are up until midnight.  The entire "night" is shifted a few hours later.

I realize every kid and family is different. I'm a sleeper and my kids seems to take after me.  You seem aware of what type of kid you have (not much of a sleeper) and adjust your schedule accordingly. The part that bugged me in the OP story (I guess not really 'OP' in this thread) is that the children seemed to be seeing some negative effects "trouble staying awake in school" due to the sleep schedule. If the kids were happy as a clam and doing well on that schedule I'd say more power to 'em. As I noted my values are that as a parent I should respect my child's need for sleep... whatever that need it. The people going out to eat don't seem to be doing that.

I did actually go to Walmart before my late shift the other night (10pm) and saw a bunch of very tired kids. I try very hard to have a 'mile in their shoes' type attitudes, but it's hard.

I think some of it is cultural. I remember when I moved to Taiwan I was suprised to see so many families out late. Combine mid day naps and with a flexible view on sleep and I see families out with kids at late hours. Now when I visit the USA it feels weird to see 7-11 empty at 1AM and not see kids on the streets.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16661 on: February 08, 2017, 01:16:49 AM »
I think some of it is cultural. I remember when I moved to Taiwan I was suprised to see so many families out late. Combine mid day naps and with a flexible view on sleep and I see families out with kids at late hours. Now when I visit the USA it feels weird to see 7-11 empty at 1AM and not see kids on the streets.
Right? Isn't is amazing how some people think "this is the worst thing to do ever' and other cultures are 'umm... we do this all the time.'  Travel can really change one's perspectives on many topics. Proper child rearing is just one.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16662 on: February 08, 2017, 01:51:40 AM »
Right? Isn't is amazing how some people think "this is the worst thing to do ever' and other cultures are 'umm... we do this all the time.'  Travel can really change one's perspectives on many topics. Proper child rearing is just one.

There is a book about this called 'Do Parents Matter?' by Sarah and Robert LeVine

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16663 on: February 10, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »
This thread is reminding me of how, growing up, there were two distinct dinner hours: kids (~7 pm) and parents (~9 pm), often with two completely separate dinner menus. Sometimes both of these were an hour later in the summer because of extra sunlight. 

Were I to have had kids, I would have had to do the same thing. I cannot even fathom how people want to eat dinner before 8 pm, and that is stretching it for me. Left to my own devices, I often don't even contemplate or begin cooking until about 8-8:15 pm.  Sometimes I'll try to eat earlier if I'm getting up early, but it is a struggle.

On the other hand, I am also a little surprised to see small kids out late. Aeons ago I worked at Blockbuster Video, and people would regularly bring toddlers and young grade schoolers in to rent videos right before we closed at midnight. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16664 on: February 10, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
This thread is reminding me of how, growing up, there were two distinct dinner hours: kids (~7 pm) and parents (~9 pm), often with two completely separate dinner menus. Sometimes both of these were an hour later in the summer because of extra sunlight. 

Were I to have had kids, I would have had to do the same thing. I cannot even fathom how people want to eat dinner before 8 pm, and that is stretching it for me. Left to my own devices, I often don't even contemplate or begin cooking until about 8-8:15 pm.  Sometimes I'll try to eat earlier if I'm getting up early, but it is a struggle.

On the other hand, I am also a little surprised to see small kids out late. Aeons ago I worked at Blockbuster Video, and people would regularly bring toddlers and young grade schoolers in to rent videos right before we closed at midnight.

There are some studies that have shown that eating earlier helps to keep the weight off--even with the exact same caloric input and output. So that is one reason. Another reason is that if I eat earlier, I can then make popcorn later--since getting married, my popcorn for dinner nights have drastically fallen, but I still want my damn popcorn.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16665 on: February 10, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »

There are some studies that have shown that eating earlier helps to keep the weight off--even with the exact same caloric input and output. So that is one reason. Another reason is that if I eat earlier, I can then make popcorn later--since getting married, my popcorn for dinner nights have drastically fallen, but I still want my damn popcorn.

Heh. Considering how I struggle to keep weight on, I should maybe start eating at midnight?

lcerrito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16666 on: February 10, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »
Today at work the IT guy was admiring my co-worker's  new Bose wireless noise canceling headphones, and asked him what they cost. My co-worker replied, "Free!" After much exclamation and questioning, he admitted they were "Best Buy 12 months same as cash, so basically free." He said he would spend $30 on something stupid every month anyway, so why not. The IT guy was very excited, and said something about how he had a student loan disbursement coming that he could use.

Unrelated and slightly off topic, but same IT guy and same co-worker:
IT Guy: Remind me to get you a new keyboard! There's HAIR growing on this thing!
Co-Worker: "Oh, no, that's okay. I like that keyboard."
IT Guy: "..."
I had tears streaming down my face from trying not to laugh, since another co-worker had made the same comment that morning.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16667 on: February 11, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »
Maybe the coworker likes to stroke the keyboard's fur... (ICK! ICK! ICK!)

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16668 on: February 12, 2017, 06:25:49 AM »

Ha.  Growing up, we had dinner between 5 and 6.  Bed at 9-10 (as older kids, I have no idea what bedtime was when we were little).  I went to friends' houses who ate later, like around 7:30 or 8:00 and thought it was awful and they were crazy! 

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16669 on: February 12, 2017, 08:34:14 AM »

My dad is in a lotto club like this at his work. I keep telling him that I think it's a waste of his money, but at least since they use a similar site to count the money he knows exactly where his money is going...

Maybe Lotto clubs re Mustachian...

The some of the guys at the ol' refinery put in a buck a week to their lotto club, there are 5 of them, and one of the designers goes and buys their  5 tickets and posts it on the wall.  All winning are of course rolled over to pay for next weeks tickets.

It means everyone only plays a dollar, never more, and its ever so slightly environmentally friendly since all 5 5 tickets are on one print out instead of 5 individual ones. They do seem to spend more than a dollar's worth of billable time talking about it and planning better numbers, so maybe there are getting a good deal?

It would seem, that if you have to play the lotto, this is the most cost effective way to do it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16670 on: February 12, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »
Anyone ever thought that perhaps all the short term choices by our government and short term thinking by some businesses leads to short term thinking by consumers? Makes it easier to encourage people to make poor choices that keeps them poor?

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16671 on: February 12, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
Anyone ever thought that perhaps all the short term choices by our government and short term thinking by some businesses leads to short term thinking by consumers? Makes it easier to encourage people to make poor choices that keeps them poor?

I think businesses make decisions on how to maximize profits and quarterly stock prices, governments make decisions based on what is easiest and can get them re-elected.  Both tend to lead to short term thinking and don't take into consideration the long term impacts.  I don't believe that anyone is sitting around a conference table and devising ways to keep people poor, even if that is the final outcome. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #16672 on: February 12, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »

It definitely normalizes the behavior. However I don't believe consumers need help thinking in the short term; they manage it stunningly well all by themselves. Otherwise the credit card industry wouldn't be anywhere near as well established as it is.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16673 on: February 12, 2017, 07:12:40 PM »
My boss told me that my co-worker had called him last weekend to ask if he could get $25 out of the petty cash so he could pay his cell phone bill before it gets turned off. A few days later that co-worker proceeded to tell me that he had gone bowling that Saturday night and ate out with his family at Red Lobster. Probably a $100 night. What the actual fuck?

That... seems like something the boss should not be sharing.  Sort of a * move.

I'd be upset if I was the coworker in that situation.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16674 on: February 13, 2017, 06:28:47 AM »
My coworkers were late to our usual 'coffee run' (to the kitchen to use the company-provided Keurigs), because they were shopping. Apparently Lids is having a huge sale on MLB gear. One guy said he bought 10 shirts - I said I recently had to pare down my clothing because dresser was full, and his response was 'that's when you overflow to the guest bedroom closets'. Kidding? Not sure.

The bad part is...I'm thinking about buying a couple things too. *facepalm*
Though I won't feel guilty at all about buying a few gift items (because it is a good deal), it's the things I want but don't need that are haunting me.

Same coworker as above said he's just careful not to keep too much in checking account because he will spend it all (guess it's good to know yourself). He has a huge DVD collection, and video games -- he unwraps unplayed video games so wife doesn't realize how many haven't been used yet. Really awesome guy, just definitely not mustachian.

My coworkers are currently all trying to convince me to buy a new car, or a sports car, or anything fancier than my last car ('05 Prius). I am shopping for a car (totalled the last one), but they really can't seem to understand that for me a car is a functional vehicle and hardly any of the "features" are important to me. "Don't you want an audio jack?" gets them a blank stare and an "I don't think I had one in my last car." I understand that these things matter to some people, but if they don't matter to me why should I pay for them?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16675 on: February 13, 2017, 08:22:32 AM »
My coworkers are currently all trying to convince me to buy a new car, or a sports car, or anything fancier than my last car ('05 Prius). I am shopping for a car (totalled the last one), but they really can't seem to understand that for me a car is a functional vehicle and hardly any of the "features" are important to me. "Don't you want an audio jack?" gets them a blank stare and an "I don't think I had one in my last car." I understand that these things matter to some people, but if they don't matter to me why should I pay for them?
Not just that, but an audio jack in particular is a pretty dumb reason to get one car over another.  My current car has one (2009), but I got one with my aftermarket radio in my last car (1992) which set me back all of ~$40 (the radio, not the car).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16676 on: February 13, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
Not just that, but an audio jack in particular is a pretty dumb reason to get one car over another.  My current car has one (2009), but I got one with my aftermarket radio in my last car (1992) which set me back all of ~$40 (the radio, not the car).

Same here! My 2004 Camry has a tape deck that stopped working (loved using it to listen to my Ipod) and so I just bought an aftermarket system and installed it.

My parents are trying to convince me to buy a new car because it has 160k miles on it, my response is to ask, "Are you planning on paying for it?" I don't get the point of buying a Toyota car unless you're looking to run it to the ground because they are well-built and aside from regular maintenance I've had no issues with it (knock on wood). I want to get as much mileage out of this car as I can and hopefully by the time I look for a new car Tesla's Model 3 will be readily available and there will be additional electric cars out there in the market.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16677 on: February 13, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »

Same here! My 2004 Camry has a tape deck that stopped working (loved using it to listen to my Ipod) and so I just bought an aftermarket system and installed it.

My parents are trying to convince me to buy a new car because it has 160k miles on it, my response is to ask, "Are you planning on paying for it?" I don't get the point of buying a Toyota car unless you're looking to run it to the ground because they are well-built and aside from regular maintenance I've had no issues with it (knock on wood). I want to get as much mileage out of this car as I can and hopefully by the time I look for a new car Tesla's Model 3 will be readily available and there will be additional electric cars out there in the market.

"I don't get the point of buying a Toyota car unless you're looking to run it to the ground"

This. So much this. By and large, they're all just uninspiring, boring appliances that do exactly what they need to reliably and inexpensively. We were just at the auto show this weekend. Sat in a ton of cars. There were exactly two Toyotas that I liked--the 4Runner and the Tacoma. Everything else, I just don't see the point in unless you're going to buy it to drive it forever. Otherwise, why not get something with some mojo?

(Disclaimer: Car nut here, have owned 3 different Toyotas and will likely own one again in the future)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16678 on: February 13, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »

Exactly! I feel like right now is a terrible time to buy a new car, because great electric cars are just around the corner. It's crazy to think that my next car will probably be electric. At least I hope, I'm at 150k miles but it's a Mitsubishi so we'll see about reliability. I see several over 200k miles on Craigslist, but not too many of them over 300k...but it's possible because no one is selling some that high? Also, my car is notorious for being abused by idiots and teenagers.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16679 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »
Exactly! I feel like right now is a terrible time to buy a new car, because great electric cars are just around the corner. It's crazy to think that my next car will probably be electric. At least I hope, I'm at 150k miles but it's a Mitsubishi so we'll see about reliability. I see several over 200k miles on Craigslist, but not too many of them over 300k...but it's possible because no one is selling some that high? Also, my car is notorious for being abused by idiots and teenagers.
Same boat.  If my 2006 Sentra gets to 200K miles, probably buying another car then simply because if I'm doing my math right and future mileage is around the projection, I'll have been driving this thing for around 25 years, so 15 years from now, electric cars are likely to be AMAZING.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16680 on: February 13, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
Since my car has a USB port I don't think I'll ever go back to wanting an audio jack.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16681 on: February 13, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »
Since my car has a USB port I don't think I'll ever go back to wanting an audio jack.
Does the USB port typically do anything other than play audio files off a flash drive?  I have one too but I'm pretty sure that's all mine does (and I know it doesn't have enough juice to charge anything).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16682 on: February 13, 2017, 10:42:32 AM »
Does the USB port typically do anything other than play audio files off a flash drive?  I have one too but I'm pretty sure that's all mine does (and I know it doesn't have enough juice to charge anything).

You can also use it to charge your phone should the need arise.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16683 on: February 13, 2017, 11:33:09 AM »
The USB port does something OTHER than charge my phone?  2014 Mazda3, bought used so no real walk through.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16684 on: February 13, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
The USB port does something OTHER than charge my phone?  2014 Mazda3, bought used so no real walk through.

Yep, here's your specific car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr46e5fCDtk&t=57s

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #16685 on: February 13, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
So we got 2 new interns at work today and I finally have a story. The girl got dropped off by her dad who apparently took 2 weeks off to drop her off every day. It would take approx 75 min for her one way to get there, using cheap public transport or a bit less than an hour if she took the train. Counting in real time connections and delays.

The guy though was even more of a charm. He asked me if there were 'smoskes' ordered somewhere at the company. Smoskes is Flemish closest translation I could find is something like the sandwiches from Subway. Normal price 3-4 Euros a piece. Sadly I couldn't help him more than referring him to the HR department (small company) as they order sandwiches before a certain hour there. I had the idea that packing a lunchbox was a very new thing for him. And he had some problems understanding why you don't ask people about their wage.

I just amn't sure if I am just too frugal or they are quite spendy.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #16686 on: February 13, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
So we got 2 new interns at work today and I finally have a story. The girl got dropped off by her dad who apparently took 2 weeks off to drop her off every day. It would take approx 75 min for her one way to get there, using cheap public transport or a bit less than an hour if she took the train. Counting in real time connections and delays.

The guy though was even more of a charm. He asked me if there were 'smoskes' ordered somewhere at the company. Smoskes is Flemish closest translation I could find is something like the sandwiches from Subway. Normal price 3-4 Euros a piece. Sadly I couldn't help him more than referring him to the HR department (small company) as they order sandwiches before a certain hour there. I had the idea that packing a lunchbox was a very new thing for him. And he had some problems understanding why you don't ask people about their wage.

I just amn't sure if I am just too frugal or they are quite spendy.

Is the internship only two weeks and her dad is just going to drop her off every day?

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #16687 on: February 13, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »
And he had some problems understanding why you don't ask people about their wage.

A friend of mine is an immigrant from South Korea, and he told me that in Korea, asking someone how much money they make is polite conversation when you're getting to know someone.  I kind of wish it was more common to discuss salaries, at least with coworkers.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #16688 on: February 13, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »

I just amn't am just not sure if I am just too frugal or they are quite spendy.

The word "am" doesn't have contractions the way "are" and "is" do.  English is a silly language.

I had a new coworker years ago who was asking everyone about their salaries and other personal financial info.  We quickly took him aside and told him it was inappropriate.  It turns out that in his birthplace (part of China), those were very normal questions to ask.  But then we had a second new guy, years later, who told everyone all of his own personal info (what he paid in rent, how much money was in his bank account).  That second guy was born in the US; he was just a braggart.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16689 on: February 13, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
The word "am" doesn't have contractions the way "are" and "is" do.  English is a silly language.
Yeah, I wish "amn't" was a more widely-accepted term. :(

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16690 on: February 13, 2017, 04:30:03 PM »
... we had a second new guy, years later, who told everyone all of his own personal info (what he paid in rent, how much money was in his bank account) ... he was just a braggart.

Was he bragging about paying a lot or a little in rent?

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #16691 on: February 13, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »

Well, it ain't.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #16692 on: February 13, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »
My family had a Korean student living with them as he completed high school in the US.  He told us how when he first came to the country, he thought Americans were rude, condescending, and racist for casually smiling at him. 

Apparently in South Korea it is not common to smile at strangers.  You could smile at children or the mentally disabled to make them feel comfortable.  So if a passing stranger smiled at you, they were implying they believed you were a bit slow mentally.

It took a while before he realized these people were smiling at everyone, not just him, and it was just a thing Americans did.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16693 on: February 13, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »

You can also use it to charge your phone should the need arise.

You missed sentence two of his post.  :)

Typically that should work though, but apparently not with his.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #16694 on: February 13, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »
... we had a second new guy, years later, who told everyone all of his own personal info (what he paid in rent, how much money was in his bank account) ... he was just a braggart.

Was he bragging about paying a lot or a little in rent?

I think it was a lot, as in "look how fancy an apartment I have!"  He gave us so much personal info, I almost think we could have gotten his SSN just by asking.  We called him "Topper," like the Dilbert character, because he had to "top" the stories anyone else told.

Normal person to group:  "I ran a 5K last weekend.  It was pretty fun, so I might do this more regularly."
Our Topper replies: "When I was in high school, I was on track and was top of my division!"

Normal person to group: "I saw this guy on the subway who was breakdancing!  It was really cool."
Our Topper replies: "That's nothing!  When I lived in Specific City, there was this guy who got on the subway and was soooo druuuunk he threw up over everything!"

My family had a Korean student living with them as he completed high school in the US.  He told us how when he first came to the country, he thought Americans were rude, condescending, and racist for casually smiling at him. 

Apparently in South Korea it is not common to smile at strangers.  You could smile at children or the mentally disabled to make them feel comfortable.  So if a passing stranger smiled at you, they were implying they believed you were a bit slow mentally.

It took a while before he realized these people were smiling at everyone, not just him, and it was just a thing Americans did.

Oh wow!  I would be really interested in a culture shock thread, if anyone knows of one that is going on the forums.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16695 on: February 14, 2017, 03:54:33 AM »
My colleague for whom I am mentor, told me today that she also had brought lunch from home, and calculated after lunch how much she had saved. It's good to have inspired someone else to save money.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #16696 on: February 14, 2017, 06:25:55 AM »

Well, it ain't.

I'm just being argumentative on the internet today, so: I studied English grammar as part of an Eng lit/lang degree. Most grammar rules were made up in the 18th century to give English some sort of gravitas in line with Latin, instead of it being viewed as a mongrel language. People were quite anxious for English to be seen as a legitimate language, because of snobbery.

Since then a lot of grammar 'rules' have gradually come into being through common usage. A lot of the rules have vanished over time.

The only rule we were given as gospel was that *as long as* people understand your meaning, your grammar is fine.

So when correcting someone's grammar, you have no real basis for doing so. Grammar was not invented by some divine being, it's just trial and error. If enough people say amn't, it will come into being.

Right throw stuff at me if you want now.

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #16697 on: February 14, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »

Well, it ain't.

I'm just being argumentative on the internet today, so: I studied English grammar as part of an Eng lit/lang degree. Most grammar rules were made up in the 18th century to give English some sort of gravitas in line with Latin, instead of it being viewed as a mongrel language. People were quite anxious for English to be seen as a legitimate language, because of snobbery.

Since then a lot of grammar 'rules' have gradually come into being through common usage. A lot of the rules have vanished over time.

The only rule we were given as gospel was that *as long as* people understand your meaning, your grammar is fine.

So when correcting someone's grammar, you have no real basis for doing so. Grammar was not invented by some divine being, it's just trial and error. If enough people say amn't, it will come into being.

I'll throw the first stone:  as someone from an Appalachian coal town, I can tell you that grammar and pronunciation matters.  I have a degree from a top law school and people still think I'm a dirty stupid hillbilly because my grammar isn't perfect and I can drift back into that old twang/slurred speech when I'm excited or feeling relaxed.  It's worth learning and following the "rules."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:32:55 AM by gReed Smith »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16698 on: February 14, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »

Well, it ain't.

I'll throw the first stone:  as someone from an Appalachian coal town, I can tell you that grammar and pronunciation matters.  I have a degree from a top law school and people still think I'm a dirty stupid hillbilly because my grammar isn't perfect and I can drift back into that old twang/slurred speach when I'm excited or feeling relaxed.  It's worth learning and following the "rules."

If you want to be taken seriously, grammar matters.

A co-worker was telling me how his previous company sent him out with the sales team for a new financial product. He noticed that the brochure had some mistakes, the most glaring example being apostrophes used incorrectly. He said the meeting was the best he'd ever been to. The CEO of the prospective client company read through the brochure, circled every mistake with a red pen, handed it back and said "If you can't even get this right, why do you think I'd be interested in your product?".

On another note, it was funny to hear amn't again. It was frequently used by Dubliners when I was a kid...not so sure about these days.

From an online source: "The NOAD has a note about using aren't, and amn't: The contraction aren't is used in standard English to mean "am not" in questions, as in "I'm right, aren't I?" ... The nonstandard (although logical) form amn't is restricted to Scottish, Irish, and dialect use."

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16699 on: February 14, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »

Well, it ain't.

I'll throw the first stone:  as someone from an Appalachian coal town, I can tell you that grammar and pronunciation matters.  I have a degree from a top law school and people still think I'm a dirty stupid hillbilly because my grammar isn't perfect and I can drift back into that old twang/slurred speach when I'm excited or feeling relaxed.  It's worth learning and following the "rules."

Both can be useful.  There are times when you want your audience to know you are well-educated and intelligent, and there are times when, if they think you're a little less sophisticated or educated, that's okay too.  Sometimes you want them to think less of you because they'll feel you are less formidable, sometimes because it makes you seem less threatening.  I don't talk to my guys in the shop the same way I talk to the CEO.