Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252759 times)

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #1650 on: February 04, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »
Here's a fun one.

The pension came up at work yesterday, and so did tax returns.

cw1 has 6.5 years with the company and never signed up for the pension because he was on contract... He was actually considering taking out a loan to buy all that time back until he found out that they wouldn't double his contribution while buying back. 

cw2 mentioned she received a $3000+ tax return once, and "I never held so much money before..."

A day in the life I guess - Both these people eat lunch out on a daily basis.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1651 on: February 04, 2014, 08:20:02 AM »
Had our head accounting guy come down to train us on our new time entering software. It was a pretty good meeting until he explained the hyperlinks at the bottom of the page where you can get various forms. One form was to take a loan out on your 401k. I was just getting ready to tune myself out of the meeting at this point. Then he said something that blew my mind. He said "I know having the ability to access your 401k money through a loan is a nice feature to have but I would highly recommend you have no more than 3-4 loans out at any given time." I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

3 - 4 loans??  Wow.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1652 on: February 04, 2014, 08:36:40 AM »
I told a coworker I bought a house and we're selling the condo.
CW: I downsized from a house to a condo and have things in storage right now.
Me: Oh, I didn't know you moved recently.
CW: It was three years ago, when the kids moved out that I moved into an apartment, before buying the condo.
Me: Oh.  If you haven't used it in that time, maybe you can do without it.  Have you thought about -
CW: I know, I should get rid it.  And the worst part, it's all the kids' stuff!

So props on downsizing from a house to a smaller condo, but eep, 3 years of storage payments!

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1653 on: February 04, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
Conversation w/a co-worker who also happens to be my neighbor, regarding my future move.

CW:  So, how's new house coming along?
Me:  It's moving fast now!  I'm trying to get everything ready here, so I can list this place in the next few weeks.  Once it sells, then I can start selling off like half the stuff in the house!
CW:  Oh, that's right, y'all are moving to a smaller house.
Me:  Yup, it's about 1,700 sq ft. (Our current home is 3,600 - 2 adults, 5 spoiled kitties)
CW:  (Wide-eyed) OMG!  You really ARE moving to a smaller house!  I mean, I'm sure it will be nice, to be so cozy all the time.
Me: Well, there will be a 400 sq ft patio in the back.
CW:  Oh, well that will make it a lot more livable, then...

I just laughed internally.  There's something really wrong when 1,700 sq ft for 2 people is considered small.  I'll laugh again once all deals are finally closed, and I can look forward to making that mortgage payment to our bank account instead.  That will REALLY ramp up FIRE!!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1654 on: February 04, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »
I work for the fed, and we got an email newsletter about benefits yesterday.  Fun facts:

14% do not contribute to TSP at all - consider that there is matching up to 5%
There are over a million outstanding TSP loans at any given time.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1655 on: February 04, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »
Conversation w/a co-worker who also happens to be my neighbor, regarding my future move.

Me:  It's moving fast now!  I'm trying to get everything ready here, so I can list this place in the next few weeks.  Once it sells, then I can start selling off like half the stuff in the house!
Me:  Yup, it's about 1,700 sq ft. (Our current home is 3,600 - 2 adults, 5 spoiled kitties)
CW:  (Wide-eyed) OMG!  You really ARE moving to a smaller house!  I mean, I'm sure it will be nice, to be so cozy all the time.

I just laughed internally.  There's something really wrong when 1,700 sq ft for 2 people is considered small.  I'll laugh again once all deals are finally closed, and I can look forward to making that mortgage payment to our bank account instead.  That will REALLY ramp up FIRE!!

I...don't think I know what I would do with 1700 SF unless the layout was really bad, or it was counting lots of un-livable space (closets, utility, garage?) Even if I had kids that seems like I'd bounce around and rage about all the cleaning and clutter (largest place I've experienced living in, except a dorm, was about 1350 SF).

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1656 on: February 04, 2014, 11:43:08 AM »
My coworker and I love jewellery.

She recently bought two rings - very beautiful and lovely. Curiousity got to me, and I looked up the cost... ~$8000 before taxes.

She later referred to her visa bill being $10,000.

Eeps! I'm hoping that she's secretly wealthy and working for fun... but I doubt it. O.o

This just blows my mind!

mrpress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1657 on: February 04, 2014, 12:29:19 PM »
Co-worker and her husband went to a charity silent auction over the weekend and bid $1,500 on a random trip to a lake and some sports crap for their kid. $1,500 unplanned! But "it was for charity" so it's ok.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #1658 on: February 04, 2014, 12:43:52 PM »
We don't talk about money too much in our office (significant rank differences), but its a cyclical thing to see young troops driving top dollar cars when they live in the barracks and live across the street from work, spend the rest of their paychecks on gadgets, and when they leave the Army to be broke just a couple months after they get out.  It's sad especially in the months right after a deployment where we come home with a lot of money and the car dealerships get cleaned out within days of our arrival.  Six months to a year later many of those cars are no longer in the barracks parking lot and soldiers are asking when is the next deployment. We try to educate soldiers on personal finance as much as possible, but I have found it difficult to get an 18 year old making a $20k salary right out of high school to listen (and who has no real expenses).  A lot of the older and more mature soldiers use these deployments as a windfall to clean up their younger mistakes, but it's not universal and those deployments are quickly drying up.

So much this. :(

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1659 on: February 04, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »

She recently bought two rings - very beautiful and lovely. Curiousity got to me, and I looked up the cost... ~$8000 before taxes.

Eeps! I'm hoping that she's secretly wealthy and working for fun... but I doubt it. O.o

This just blows my mind!

A friend/co-worker sometimes wears a necklace to work with a sizeable diamond worth about 20,000$. She is wealthy though, according to herself the family is among the top 10% taxpayers in the country. Not sure if they save anything too, other than in a pension fund.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1660 on: February 04, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »
Co-worker and her husband went to a charity silent auction over the weekend and bid $1,500 on a random trip to a lake and some sports crap for their kid. $1,500 unplanned! But "it was for charity" so it's ok.

In fairness, I attend the annual auction for my charity with the intent of spending money to support them when I walk in the door, as part of my charitable donations (I understand I do not get a tax writeoff though).  It's possible that she does the same.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1661 on: February 04, 2014, 01:53:57 PM »
A friend/co-worker sometimes wears a necklace to work with a sizeable diamond worth about 20,000$. She is wealthy though, according to herself the family is among the top 10% taxpayers in the country. Not sure if they save anything too, other than in a pension fund.

I know someone like that.  I asked him once about the spending because it was always new toys, cars, bikes... .  He pointed out that he can't spend as much as his investments make without going completely insane like a new car weekly type insane.   There was zero point in saving his paycheque and he was working for fun.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1662 on: February 04, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »

I know someone like that.  I asked him once about the spending because it was always new toys, cars, bikes... .  He pointed out that he can't spend as much as his investments make without going completely insane like a new car weekly type insane.   There was zero point in saving his paycheque and he was working for fun.

I suppose as long as you love your job

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: February 04, 2014, 02:37:24 PM »

These people are not quite so rich, but still she could easily be staying home with her two small kids. Her husband is earning well into six figures, but she wants to contribute financially as well.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1664 on: February 04, 2014, 10:20:57 PM »

This just blows my mind!

I looked up my coworker's Tiffany engagement ring when she got it a few months ago. Only $14,000. WHAT!?!? I have so much trouble not gossiping about that at the office; I (almost) wish I'd never looked it up.

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #1665 on: February 05, 2014, 07:54:03 AM »
I just LOL's at the concept of using bottles of distilled water to mix with antifreeze! I used tap and my old car couldn't tell the difference for over 350,000 miles.
Go ahead and laugh. I use nothing but distilled water with my antifreeze. Having minerals and other crap in there may not make that much difference, but it certainly isn't helping anything. Distilled water is about 80 cents a gallon, and it only takes about 1 gallon of water (+1 gallon of antifreeze = 2 gallons total) to completely fill a car's cooling system. Spending an extra 80 cents every 40k miles isn't exactly a big hindrance to early retirement.

Now, if you want to laugh at the people buying the pre-diluted antifreeze, I can understand that.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #1666 on: February 05, 2014, 09:41:38 AM »
there is a whole lot differnece between using distilled water for your cooling system and your washer system.
Car manufactures actually tell people to NOT use distilled water in your washer system because it attacks some plastics or something.

The cooling fluid is designed to protect the engine from corrosion, I don't think minerals in the water would help, I don't know if the would do any harm. But as exranger said, 80cent per 40.000 km might not be worth the risk.

To stay on topic:
I had a discussion with my coworkers about valentines day. The range goes from "we just ignore it" to some pricey jewellery. Also a lot of women feel like they should get something extra special, but don't have to get anything in return, but that's for another topic.

skyst3alth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1667 on: February 05, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »

This just blows my mind!

My girlfriend and I are talking about tying the knot and her mom offered up a ring she was given as a gift from her mom and just get the diamonds reset in another band. 

She sent the appraisal for it via email last night, the main stone is worth ~$21,000.  Girlfriend didn't quite know what to make of my reaction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0lV6uMtcz8

"Oh yeah!  That's exactly like the ones I was looking at too!"

To be clear, I (we) are extremely grateful and honored to keep something like that in the family.  It's just the thought of spending that much on a ring...hell never mind a ring, on about anything other than a house...about made my head explode.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:12:31 AM by skyst3alth »

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1668 on: February 05, 2014, 10:16:30 AM »

This just blows my mind!

My girlfriend and I are talking about tying the knot and her mom offered up a ring she was given as a gift from her mom and just get the diamonds reset in another band. 

She sent the appraisal for it via email last night, the main stone is worth ~$21,000.  Girlfriend didn't quite know what to make of my reaction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0lV6uMtcz8

"Oh yeah!  That's exactly like the ones I was looking at too!"

To be clear, I (we) are extremely grateful and honored to keep something like that in the family.  It's just the thought of spending that much on a ring...hell never mind a ring, on about anything other than a house...about made my head explode.

WOW! that's actually a super cool and really generous gift, and nice that it's a family thing. I also would be terrified/appalled by the idea of ever purchasing a diamond that expensive, though. my boyfriend and I have been talking about this too, and I made it clear that I DON'T want a diamond and I don't even want him to spend more than $1k on it. in fact, even that amount freaks me out (it would be the most valuable thing in our house by far... my laptop would be the only thing that even cost the same amount new, and it's 4 years old now) so the cheaper the better (to a point, I mean I don't want a twist tie :))

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1669 on: February 05, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
Not so much a conversation more like an observation. We have a coffee pot at work and the company supplies the coffee. We also have two guys that show up at work and then drive three blocks to the gas station to pay $1.29 for the same exact cup of coffee they could of had at work. I realize it's only a dollar but for a cup of black coffee that you could of had for free it just seems silly. They don't even have to make it lol. I get to work a little early and it's always done when they get here

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1670 on: February 05, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »
Not so much a conversation more like an observation. We have a coffee pot at work and the company supplies the coffee. We also have two guys that show up at work and then drive three blocks to the gas station to pay $1.29 for the same exact cup of coffee they could of had at work. I realize it's only a dollar but for a cup of black coffee that you could of had for free it just seems silly. They don't even have to make it lol. I get to work a little early and it's always done when they get here

Around here they drive somewhere for coffee, then drive back and the coffee gets cold . . . so they proceed to heat up the coffee in a microwave in the disposable cup.  Next to the free fresh coffee machine.  Blech.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1671 on: February 05, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »

I...don't think I know what I would do with 1700 SF unless the layout was really bad, or it was counting lots of un-livable space (closets, utility, garage?) Even if I had kids that seems like I'd bounce around and rage about all the cleaning and clutter (largest place I've experienced living in, except a dorm, was about 1350 SF).

Nope, that 1,700 is livable space, and the layout is pretty generous, very little "fat" going to hallways and such.  My current house boasts a Master closet that is 250 sq ft, which is and was ridiculous when we bought the place.  I refer to it as "the baby's room", b/c it could easily be a comfortable nursery.  Seriously, there are WINDOWS in that closet!

We bought the big house b/c we moved away from family and expected to have tons of friends & family streaming in for visits.  It rarely happens.  Over half the house simply doesn't get used.  We love our neighborhood, but we'll still be close by, and not having a mortgage payment is going to be amazing.  We'll keep in touch w/our old neighbors, and make friends w/the new ones.

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #1672 on: February 05, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »

We used to have people tat went upstairs to the cafeteria for a £1 coffee, when you could get better coffee out of the (pod) espresso machine in the kitchen, or the same vending machine they had upstairs, or instant coffee if you're super busy. There is some twisted logic to wanting to have a break without being seen to have a break (if you sit around the kitchen drinking coffee you're being lazy, if you're just not at your desk, you're probably in a meeting) but yeah, people are stupid.

Also driving 3 blocks? You would actually have to pay me to do that - city driving is a ballache, especially pulling in and out of places / parking.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1673 on: February 05, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
I think you get the wrong idea when it say drive. I live in a town of ~1500. If you meet one car on the way to the gas station from the shop it's a busy day. I think there might be one stop sign between here and there. I still don't get it though.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1674 on: February 05, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »
Now, if you want to laugh at the people buying the pre-diluted antifreeze, I can understand that.

Go ahead and laugh at me then. Several years ago, I did some research and figured out that I wanted a specific type of antifreeze to top off with (Peak Global Lifetime, which is supposed to safely mix with any other type of antifreeze). Locally, it was only available in diluted form, and what do you know, it's expensive to ship a gallon of fluids from an online retailer, so I bought the premixed stuff. Used it to top off and still have quite a bit of it left, several years later.

The last time I actually flushed/changed antifreeze, I bought a gallon of undiluted stuff (and I used distilled water to dilute it).

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1675 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:10 PM »
She sent the appraisal for it via email last night, the main stone is worth ~$21,000.

That's really generous! If she accepts the gift, she may want to consider having it listed or scheduled specifically on your homeowners/renters policy. With my carrier, it's something like $10 per year per $1,000 of coverage. The advantage to having it listed is that a normal policy only covers a nominal amount of jewelry, also, if it's listed, the policy will pay if you accidentally lose it. You may want to talk to your insurance agent.

aclarridge

« Reply #1676 on: February 06, 2014, 08:33:39 AM »
She sent the appraisal for it via email last night, the main stone is worth ~$21,000.

That's really generous! If she accepts the gift, she may want to consider having it listed or scheduled specifically on your homeowners/renters policy. With my carrier, it's something like $10 per year per $1,000 of coverage. The advantage to having it listed is that a normal policy only covers a nominal amount of jewelry, also, if it's listed, the policy will pay if you accidentally lose it. You may want to talk to your insurance agent.

I wouldn't do that. The actuaries at the insurance company have worked the math in their favour. In general, only buy insurance on things you can't afford to have happen. Losing the ring would suck, but it won't kill you financially.

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1677 on: February 06, 2014, 09:35:35 AM »

When I was growing up we had 7 people in 1000 sq ft. It honestly never felt crowded. We did spend a lot of time outdoors though.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #1678 on: February 06, 2014, 01:02:41 PM »
Someone started distributing posters around the office for "Pay-Day Hey-Day" to encourage everyone to come out and blow some of that payday on drinks and food at a nearby Japanese restaurant. They do have great sushi there, but the idea that we'd be going out right after payday because we finally have money, is just silly.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1679 on: February 06, 2014, 01:42:21 PM »
Someone started distributing posters around the office for "Pay-Day Hey-Day" to encourage everyone to come out and blow some of that payday on drinks and food at a nearby Japanese restaurant. They do have great sushi there, but the idea that we'd be going out right after payday because we finally have money, is just silly.

Haha, I see what you're saying... but that sounds like a lot of fun!  To me, it's unconnected to payday and spending excessive amounts of money, but people like to make excuses to go out and have fun.  Excuses like "it's Friday!"

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1680 on: February 06, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »

I wouldn't do that. The actuaries at the insurance company have worked the math in their favor. In general, only buy insurance on things you can't afford to have happen. Losing the ring would suck, but it won't kill you financially.
agreed, we paid an insurance rider for my engagement ring for a couple of years before I figured out--doh, not worth it.

While we always take the high deduction/self insure route, this was back in the day when we were young and a .85 c diamond ring seemed like a big deal to both of us. haha we were young.

But a $21,000 appraised ring (keep in mind that it is way inflated--it's part of the jewelry biz scam) still that's a fair amount.-

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1681 on: February 06, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »
My 50-something-year-old boss today informed us all he would "never" be able to retire. He and his wife live in the ritziest neighborhood in our city, they and their offspring are outfitted with the latest iphones/ipods, there's a crossfit membership, he buys breakfast and lunch out every workday... new clothes, musical equipment, electronics, itunes, etc. I just keep eating my brought-from-home lunch and nod in feigned sympathy.

I also had the annoying experience today of being the sole person in a department meeting without an iphone plunked on the table. About every two minutes our meeting was interrupted by a buzz/vibrate/ding whatever. So fucking annoying.

The sad thing is that I can do all of the above and still retire in a couple years

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #1682 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:25 AM »
My 50-something-year-old boss today informed us all he would "never" be able to retire. He and his wife live in the ritziest neighborhood in our city, they and their offspring are outfitted with the latest iphones/ipods, there's a crossfit membership, he buys breakfast and lunch out every workday... new clothes, musical equipment, electronics, itunes, etc. I just keep eating my brought-from-home lunch and nod in feigned sympathy.

I also had the annoying experience today of being the sole person in a department meeting without an iphone plunked on the table. About every two minutes our meeting was interrupted by a buzz/vibrate/ding whatever. So fucking annoying.

The sad thing is that I can do all of the above and still retire in a couple years

How is that sad?

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1683 on: February 07, 2014, 08:54:43 AM »

I wouldn't do that. The actuaries at the insurance company have worked the math in their favor. In general, only buy insurance on things you can't afford to have happen. Losing the ring would suck, but it won't kill you financially.
agreed, we paid an insurance rider for my engagement ring for a couple of years before I figured out--doh, not worth it.

While we always take the high deduction/self insure route, this was back in the day when we were young and a .85 c diamond ring seemed like a big deal to both of us. haha we were young.

But a $21,000 appraised ring (keep in mind that it is way inflated--it's part of the jewelry biz scam) still that's a fair amount.-

The replacement cost appraisals I've seen on jewelry pretty much reflect the replacement cost of the jewelry (always assuming certification where applicable). Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1684 on: February 07, 2014, 10:05:20 AM »
Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?
Diamond retail prices have an enormous markup, 100-200%. If the appraisal is saying that's what the retail price is, you'd be lucky to sell it for one third of that price on eBay.
http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/45768546804/diamonds-are-bullshit
http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/diamond/chap20_print.htm

That's still a really expensive diamond though, and even at that $7k eBay price, is worth far more than anything I own.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1685 on: February 07, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?
Diamond retail prices have an enormous markup, 100-200%. If the appraisal is saying that's what the retail price is, you'd be lucky to sell it for one third of that price on eBay.

That's still a really expensive diamond though, and even at that $7k eBay price, is worth far more than anything I own.

Maybe that's the difference, but if you compare higher quality used diamonds (which, I know, might not be something a lot of people here are buying or selling) that have certification and verification vs. the internet retail price (e.g., Blue Nile), there's nothing like that kind of spread. You might get a good deal in a local shop on a used stone, but once it's been certified and it's being sold in an honest transaction, there's not a huge discount vs. e.g., Blue Nile.

umterp1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1686 on: February 07, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »
Buddy:  If you have any boxes, I could use them, I'm moving

Me:  Oh cool, why are moving and where?

Buddy:  Right across the street, to a 3 br apartment

Me:  Why, it's just two of you?

Buddy:  Well the dog and the rent is only 400.00 a month more for two extra rooms

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #1687 on: February 07, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
Buddy:  If you have any boxes, I could use them, I'm moving

Me:  Oh cool, why are moving and where?

Buddy:  Right across the street, to a 3 br apartment

Me:  Why, it's just two of you?

Buddy:  Well the dog and the rent is only 400.00 a month more for two extra rooms

Why do people get caught by the "better value" trick. I know its good to buy groceries this way, example - "look oatmeals on sale lets get 4 bags instead of 2 because we will eat it later". But not everything.

I use to overhear a co-worker one time, who was very 'good' at sticking it. A couple of times she called her internet or phone company with a legitimate complaint, something that would get you money back or if you were like her and could really push it, a deal on your present bill. But every time I heard her she always managed to take the "better value" deal instead of the cheaper deal - the one she originally attempted to get. She would walk away with more of something for 'cheaper' - but in reality she ended up giving the company more of her money.

I really think this is because of bad education, we are taught from a really young age how to assess value in the wrong way.   

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1688 on: February 07, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
The replacement cost appraisals I've seen on jewelry pretty much reflect the replacement cost of the jewelry (always assuming certification where applicable). Not sure what exactly is "inflated"---what do you mean?

Just as a suggestion - for anybody getting a policy on a piece of jewelry, make sure it is agreed value / scheduled and not replacement value. Otherwise you are going to be fairly upset about the resulting payment.

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #1689 on: February 07, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
Coworker: "You really need to buy these essential oils from me!"
Me: "Hurm, let me research that and check the price."
Coworker "oh, well these are the only oils that have 'nonexistent made up marketing standard'!" And if you buy a membership, your oils are 5% off! This bottle of frankincense oil is only $94 with your discount!"

Me: O.O

I HATE MLM marketing in the workplace.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1690 on: February 07, 2014, 12:41:23 PM »

How is that sad?

It's sad that they can't do the same.  But in retrospect, I take it back.  I don't have a crossfit membership or buy a lot of new stuff.  I do have plenty of stuff, it's just old now.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1691 on: February 07, 2014, 01:02:18 PM »

Just as a suggestion - for anybody getting a policy on a piece of jewelry, make sure it is agreed value / scheduled and not replacement value. Otherwise you are going to be fairly upset about the resulting payment.

I didn't even realize someone would sell you a floater at unspecified replacement value. We've always had to use a scheduled value back up by a current appraisal of replacement value. I wouldn't just decline unknown replacement value coverage, I'd be suspicious of the agent selling it ...

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1692 on: February 07, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »
Why do people get caught by the "better value" trick. I know its good to buy groceries this way, example - "look oatmeals on sale lets get 4 bags instead of 2 because we will eat it later". But not everything.
If you're interested, this is discussed and quantified in Predictably Irrational, in one of the first couple chapters. Businesses can structure all of their product offerings and prices to get buyers to buy specific products at specific prices. It drives me nuts too, especially in a situation like this where it's not totally contrived by one seller.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1693 on: February 07, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
If you're interested, this is discussed and quantified in Predictably Irrational, in one of the first couple chapters. Businesses can structure all of their product offerings and prices to get buyers to buy specific products at specific prices. It drives me nuts too, especially in a situation like this where it's not totally contrived by one seller.

Been meaning to look that book up, and just found the audiobook to download from my public library. Thanks for the reminder!

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1694 on: February 07, 2014, 03:47:22 PM »
Update: I found the above edwardjayepstein.com link through a Google search, but discovered that you can change the chapter number in the URL and read the entire book. There's a lot of really interesting info in there.

"Investment-grade diamonds" and how they are appraised, plus how the appraisal itself is extremely subjective and results are not reproducible: http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/diamond/chap21_print.htm
The price "overhang" of diamonds, how De Beers marketing has to trick people into NEVER TRYING TO SELL THEIR DIAMONDS or the entire market will collapse because the supply on the secondary market would vastly outpace the number they release each year: http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/diamond/chap22_print.htm

Interview with the author: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yo6EVP-Trw&feature=youtu.be

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1695 on: February 07, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
I got a ring for $3500. Two years later when we were burglarized, I got $4500 back from it. I wasn't wearing because I was pregnant and finger was stolen.

Huh?!?!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1696 on: February 07, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
I got a ring for $3500. Two years later when we were burglarized, I got $4500 back from it. I wasn't wearing because I was pregnant and finger was stolen.

I'm sorry your finger was stolen -- I hope you got it back!

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1697 on: February 07, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »

Huh?!?!
Probably meant "finger was swollen." This is something else my wife and I are learning about rings that's just stupid: they have to precisely fit your finger to stay on and still be able to come off, but finger size is not something that's constant. If I go rock climbing, in that day my finger becomes much larger than it normally would be. My wife took a family heirloom ring to use as a wedding band and got it resized to fit her, but now it probably won't be the right size for her anymore soon. Another nail in the "a diamond is forever" coffin.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1698 on: February 07, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »

I'm sorry your finger was stolen -- I hope you got it back!

That must be what the extra $1k payout was for

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1699 on: February 07, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »
Your fingers will always swell while exercising so don't wear it while exercising. It does not mean it won't fit later. It is common for rings not to fit in late pregnancy-weight gain. So the poster that thought his wife's ring will no longer fit her will only have that problem if she gains or loses a bunch of weight.  If that happens you can get the ring re-sized pretty reasonably.