Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253009 times)

rachellynn99

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #16150 on: December 21, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »
Out of nowhere my life has been infiltrated by the LuLaRoe MLM fad of the moment. I heard my first mention of it about two months ago at the office while eating lunch and now it's all over facebook and several of my colleagues are talking about it constantly. And apparently it's all they are wearing.

Highlights of the LuLaRoe conversations I've heard:

- This company specializes in leggings which are $25/pair! That is their most popular and least expensive item. Tops are $35. In case you are not familiar with leggings prices I recently bought a 6-pack of fleece lined leggings (ie the warmer thicker kind) for $30 on Amazon.
- These $25 leggings are apparently special because they are "extra" soft and made of a "special" fabric - they are 100% polyester.
- One co-worker spent $125 on leggings at a home party recently.
- A facebook friend recently pleaded for an intervention after buying 8 pairs of Halloween print leggings for her and her daughter
- Several co-workers have friends who have quit their jobs to sell LuLaRoe full time, they said the starting buy-in for a consultant is $5,000+ (that is 200 pairs of leggings at the retail price, so probably 400ish if they are getting wholesale price). One of these sellers renovated a room in her house to function as her showroom for parties.
- One co-worker accidentally hit the "claim" button on a consultant's online ordering page (you can buy online by "claiming" something they post or at a house party) and said "ok I guess I will buy them since I hit the button on accident" - what?

I hope for the sake of these people who have quit their jobs to buy and sell thousands of dollars worth of leggings that this fad lasts but I'm tired of hearing about it.

Also, I might be prematurely an old lady but I don't think wearing leggings as pants to the office is acceptable attire. Leggings under a dress, fine. Leggings to run errands or when not at work, do as you please. But I do not want to see your butt cheeks at the office.

YES! Luluroe. I've been bombarded with that myself. I bought a pair of black leggings at CVS for $5.99 during black friday. They actually were kind of free, because I used some previous Extra Care Bucks to buy them, then got the $5.99 back as extra care bucks. They are amazing btw.

The newest things I've been noticing are people I know selling this stuff called "Lipsense". If I understand correctly you get the first starter set for $60, then after you get that, each color is only $20.

I like lipstick, I wear it to work most days, $3.99-$5.99 for a tube that lasts maybe 6 months at CVS.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16151 on: December 21, 2016, 03:47:12 PM »
I am not sure if he would put a jetski on a credit card he just wanted the option. though if its anything like the bike it didnt go on a credit card since his wife would see that, instead it was a loan just in his name so she doesnt find out
Where does the money for the payments come from? I suppose the wife never checks the checking account to notice loan payments sneaking out of there; she just checks the cc statement.
I think that's why he needs to lie and tell her he quit smoking it will be only a $200 a month payment (I think he said) or maybe they have slightly separate bank accounts.

I would think that's backwards and he should quit smoking without telling her, so she thinks the $200/mo is still going to cigs.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:18:30 PM by RyanAtTanagra »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16152 on: December 21, 2016, 04:15:11 PM »
We've had our first round of snowy weather the last week or two, so the most common topic of conversation is people complaining about their ridiculous commutes becoming even MORE ridiculous because the roads are icy.

If only you'd had some inclination before building a house in a third-ring exurb that it snows here in Western New York, like the fact that we're literally only known for harsh winters and chicken wings. If only.

Sounds like a great excuse to go out and by a $80,000 luxury SUV with 4 wheel drive!

My Mom told me last night that my Dad is looking to buy a new car (and it will without a doubt be a luxury vehicle, he gets a new one every 2-3 years).

My Dad suggested "we should probably make sure to get a 4WD because of the snowy Iowa winters".   I'm expecting a baby in March, so they will probably come visit more than normal, but in 10 years they have NEVER visited me when there was snow on the ground...  Thankfully, my mother pointed that out to him; and I mentioned to her that 4WD isn't necessarily the best choice for driving in the snow on paved roads anyway.

Still, I'm sure the car will cost $75k plus regardless of what they buy.

Unless you live way off a paved road you do not *need* 4WD in Iowa at all.

It might be a nice luxury, but need? Not even close...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16153 on: December 21, 2016, 04:23:26 PM »
I am not sure if he would put a jetski on a credit card he just wanted the option. though if its anything like the bike it didnt go on a credit card since his wife would see that, instead it was a loan just in his name so she doesnt find out
Where does the money for the payments come from? I suppose the wife never checks the checking account to notice loan payments sneaking out of there; she just checks the cc statement.
I think that's why he needs to lie and tell her he quit smoking it will be only a $200 a month payment (I think he said) or maybe they have slightly separate bank accounts.

I would think that's backwards and he should quit smoking without telling her, so she thinks the $200/mo is still going to cigs.

well he spends a lot more than $200 a month on smokes so maybe he will just reduce his smoking and be able to afford the bike?

crispy

« Reply #16154 on: December 21, 2016, 05:58:54 PM »
Out of nowhere my life has been infiltrated by the LuLaRoe MLM fad of the moment. I heard my first mention of it about two months ago at the office while eating lunch and now it's all over facebook and several of my colleagues are talking about it constantly. And apparently it's all they are wearing.

- This company specializes in leggings which are $25/pair! That is their most popular and least expensive item. Tops are $35. In case you are not familiar with leggings prices I recently bought a 6-pack of fleece lined leggings (ie the warmer thicker kind) for $30 on Amazon.
- These $25 leggings are apparently special because they are "extra" soft and made of a "special" fabric - they are 100% polyester.
- A facebook friend recently pleaded for an intervention after buying 8 pairs of Halloween print leggings for her and her daughter
- Several co-workers have friends who have quit their jobs to sell LuLaRoe full time, they said the starting buy-in for a consultant is $5,000+ (that is 200 pairs of leggings at the retail price, so probably 400ish if they are getting wholesale price). One of these sellers renovated a room in her house to function as her showroom for parties.
- One co-worker accidentally hit the "claim" button on a consultant's online ordering page (you can buy online by "claiming" something they post or at a house party) and said "ok I guess I will buy them since I hit the button on accident" - what?

I hope for the sake of these people who have quit their jobs to buy and sell thousands of dollars worth of leggings that this fad lasts but I'm tired of hearing about it.

Also, I might be prematurely an old lady but I don't think wearing leggings as pants to the office is acceptable attire. Leggings under a dress, fine. Leggings to run errands or when not at work, do as you please. But I do not want to see your butt cheeks at the office.

YES! Luluroe. I've been bombarded with that myself. I bought a pair of black leggings at CVS for $5.99 during black friday. They actually were kind of free, because I used some previous Extra Care Bucks to buy them, then got the $5.99 back as extra care bucks. They are amazing btw.

The newest things I've been noticing are people I know selling this stuff called "Lipsense". If I understand correctly you get the first starter set for $60, then after you get that, each color is only $20.

I like lipstick, I wear it to work most days, $3.99-$5.99 for a tube that lasts maybe 6 months at CVS.

Am I the only person who thinks the LulaRoe stuff is ugly as all get out? Funky printed leggings on thick thighs is not a good look.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:11:43 PM by crispy »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16155 on: December 21, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »

Am I the only person who thinks the LulaRoe stuff is ugly as am get out? Funky printed leggings on thick thighs is not a good look.

I had to look it up but... so ugly.  Ladies, please no.  Unless it's like ironic at an 80's party.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16156 on: December 21, 2016, 07:26:01 PM »
As someone who works in an office filled with 18-35 year old nerds, I have a really hard time picturing how anything would get done if we suddenly had women walking around the place in leggings.

It would probably trigger a company-wide alert by the end of the day.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #16157 on: December 21, 2016, 09:49:23 PM »
As someone who works in an office filled with 18-35 year old nerds, I have a really hard time picturing how anything would get done if we suddenly had women walking around the place in leggings.

A true nerd wouldn't notice.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #16158 on: December 22, 2016, 01:44:54 AM »

At my previous job we got audited twice a year. This one time there was a young woman in an almost see through dress as part of the audit team. When the sun was behind her, the dress was very see through, as in: I can tell you what brand of underwear you are wearing (and it was nice lingerie …)

She was young, pretty and friendly enough to get up and go get whatever page I decided to print for her auditing purposes, walking to the printer meant the sun was behind her from my point of view … Never has an audit team left with so much documentation … ;-)

My co-worker who sat right across of me hadn’t even noticed (epic nerd level!), my manager had. He came to thank me for providing the audit team with such a detailed overview of our process…

Best day in the office, ever!!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16159 on: December 22, 2016, 03:25:04 AM »

At my previous job we got audited twice a year. This one time there was a young woman in an almost see through dress as part of the audit team. When the sun was behind her, the dress was very see through, as in: I can tell you what brand of underwear you are wearing (and it was nice lingerie …)

She was young, pretty and friendly enough to get up and go get whatever page I decided to print for her auditing purposes, walking to the printer meant the sun was behind her from my point of view … Never has an audit team left with so much documentation … ;-)

My co-worker who sat right across of me hadn’t even noticed (epic nerd level!), my manager had. He came to thank me for providing the audit team with such a detailed overview of our process…

Best day in the office, ever!!

I think I love this story. :D  At a friend's wedding a few summers ago, the young, pretty photographer was wearing a similar see-through dress... she had no trouble getting everyone to smile.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16160 on: December 22, 2016, 04:57:47 AM »
Audit girl at my work a few years ago... not quite a see through dress but she was very very pretty.

One of the women I worked with (older, very smart tax expert) asked me "Martin... whats going on? I keep seeing you looking across the room".

I pointed at J---

"I can't get any work done...she's...distracting!"

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16161 on: December 22, 2016, 04:59:14 AM »
We've had our first round of snowy weather the last week or two, so the most common topic of conversation is people complaining about their ridiculous commutes becoming even MORE ridiculous because the roads are icy.

If only you'd had some inclination before building a house in a third-ring exurb that it snows here in Western New York, like the fact that we're literally only known for harsh winters and chicken wings. If only.

Sounds like a great excuse to go out and by a $80,000 luxury SUV with 4 wheel drive!

My Mom told me last night that my Dad is looking to buy a new car (and it will without a doubt be a luxury vehicle, he gets a new one every 2-3 years).

My Dad suggested "we should probably make sure to get a 4WD because of the snowy Iowa winters".   I'm expecting a baby in March, so they will probably come visit more than normal, but in 10 years they have NEVER visited me when there was snow on the ground...  Thankfully, my mother pointed that out to him; and I mentioned to her that 4WD isn't necessarily the best choice for driving in the snow on paved roads anyway.

Still, I'm sure the car will cost $75k plus regardless of what they buy.
We had a huge thread(part) on this once, and all agreed that 4WD is useless. If you drive summer tires. And 2 motorised wheels with winter tires is way better then 4WD with summer tires. And if a 2 wheel car with winter tires is "skating" then 4WD dont have any grip too.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16162 on: December 22, 2016, 05:07:14 AM »
We had a huge thread(part) on this once, and all agreed that 4WD is useless. If you drive summer tires. And 2 motorised wheels with winter tires is way better then 4WD with summer tires. And if a 2 wheel car with winter tires is "skating" then 4WD dont have any grip too.

I believe if the thread found that 4wd was useless it did not come to the correct conclusion. There are certainly situations that 4wd is not the answer to, and it's not always worth the cost upgrade, but there are real-world driving applications where a vehicle with more ground clearance and four powered wheels is quite superior to a 2wd car.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16163 on: December 22, 2016, 05:43:20 AM »
Audit girl at my work a few years ago... not quite a see through dress but she was very very pretty.

One of the women I worked with (older, very smart tax expert) asked me "Martin... whats going on? I keep seeing you looking across the room".

I pointed at J---

"I can't get any work done...she's...distracting!"

:) :) :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16164 on: December 22, 2016, 06:20:38 AM »

I believe if the thread found that 4wd was useless it did not come to the correct conclusion. There are certainly situations that 4wd is not the answer to, and it's not always worth the cost upgrade, but there are real-world driving applications where a vehicle with more ground clearance and four powered wheels is quite superior to a 2wd car.
Okay, I reword this:
4WD in summer tires is useless compared to 2WD with winter tires. 4WD with winter tires is still better then 2WD with winter tires. But not much based on "normal" climates (not 6 month canadian winter with minimum 20cm snow on every street). That said, I have plowed through 20cm snow with a small car and only front drive - you just need the right tires. Most important safety part except the brakes.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16165 on: December 22, 2016, 07:26:08 AM »

Lularoe is a "modest" company though. So all the tops are generally long enough to cover the butt.

Of course, you probably wouldn't get anything done because you'd be sniggering at the ridiculous patterns women are wearing and calling "business appropriate".

We have a few women at my office who wear LLR, but we have a very very casual office (I'm in jeans and a hoodie right now). These designs look like things I would have thought were amazing when I was 8.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16166 on: December 22, 2016, 07:27:18 AM »

Okay, I reword this:
4WD in summer tires is useless compared to 2WD with winter tires. 4WD with winter tires is still better then 2WD with winter tires. But not much based on "normal" climates (not 6 month canadian winter with minimum 20cm snow on every street). That said, I have plowed through 20cm snow with a small car and only front drive - you just need the right tires. Most important safety part except the brakes.

Yep, this is exactly right.  AWD with all-seasons handles far worse than a 2 wheel drive car with snow tires in any winter situation you're ever likely to find yourself in.  I spent the first twenty years of my life deep in Northern Ontario, I've had an awful lot of experience driving in winter weather.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16167 on: December 22, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »

Okay, I reword this:

Yep, this is exactly right.  AWD with all-seasons handles far worse than a 2 wheel drive car with snow tires in any winter situation you're ever likely to find yourself in. 

Well that is quite the loaded statement. What kind of AWD are we talking about? The Honda version of the late 90's where it only comes into play if the front wheels slip? Or something like an Outback in which it is a real AWD system? Does 2WD mean RWD like a Miata or FWD like a SAAB?

I'd have taken my SAAB in all seasons over just about anything in snow tires. I'd take any AWD vehicle in all seasons over my Miata on snow tires--Hell, I'd say that on anything but ice the FWD Corolla with all seasons was better than the Miata on snow tires and an under-steer setup.

BTW, the SAAB in snows was unstoppable. The only thing I've drive that was better was a 4Runner in snows. But the SAAB in all seasons was good enough for 99% of what I saw--which is to say a very snowy area, the only time it got stopped was when the snow was 3 feet high.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16168 on: December 22, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »
Why don't you point them to a Subaru or CR-V or RAV4?

I don't think they sell those at the Lexus or Audi dealerships.  :)  My parents are Bogleheads, NOT Mustachians.
I know what you mean. I hang out at BH too!
Despite Taylor Larrimore telling the BH faithful to buy a Toyota Corolla (or similar), they like their Euro Luxomobiles and fancy watches.
I love FWFinance, when the Crown Vic is the ride of choice.

BHers are a bunch of entitled prima donnas. Wanting their cake and eating it too. I think it is an older crowd, especially if you read their Personal Consumer Issues sub-forum. And their mods won't allow the F-word.
Fuck that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsZwRirDOYQ

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16169 on: December 22, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
Despite Taylor Larrimore telling the BH faithful to buy a Toyota Corolla (or similar), they like their Euro Luxomobiles and fancy watches.
I love FWFinance, when the Crown Vic is the ride of choice.

BHers are a bunch of entitled prima donnas. Wanting their cake and eating it too. I think it is an older crowd, especially if you read their Personal Consumer Issues sub-forum. And their mods won't allow the F-word.
Fuck that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsZwRirDOYQ
Definitely an older crowd. I try to go to both meetups- the median age for MMM is probably 28, and 48 for Bogleheads.

I actually like their very strict moderation, even though I wouldn't want it applied here.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16170 on: December 22, 2016, 09:24:48 AM »

Am I the only person who thinks the LulaRoe stuff is ugly as all get out? Funky printed leggings on thick thighs is not a good look.

I was just given a pair for my birthday. They are in fact super soft and comfortable the ones I have are plain not print. I haven't worn them out of the house but I gotta say for a its-winter-stuck-inside-with-baby all day they're pretty nice. Plus stretchy lets you ignore the havent-quite-lost-the-baby-weight. That said I certainly don't need 8 pairs. one is plenty.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16171 on: December 22, 2016, 10:14:04 AM »
My neighbor who sells them says LLR is sending way fewer solids than they used to (you don't get to pick...)

I considered a dark teal pair (the hostess took all the black pairs before the party started); but they were too long on me - I've never been not one-size-fits-all.  They were soft though. So my pity purchase for that party was a "classic tee" which wasn't worth $35, but a pretty basic geometric print.  I've since avoided the parties.

Did your leggings get holes in them quickly? I've read that complaint a lot.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16172 on: December 22, 2016, 10:37:10 AM »

Okay, I reword this:

Yep, this is exactly right.  AWD with all-seasons handles far worse than a 2 wheel drive car with snow tires in any winter situation you're ever likely to find yourself in.  I spent the first twenty years of my life deep in Northern Ontario, I've had an awful lot of experience driving in winter weather.
As a teenager I remember getting our logging roads plowed and then taking our 2WD truck to the work site in winter. I also remember shoveling out 4WD trucks who got stuck then hopping back into our 2WD truck and complaining about the driver needing lessons. Typically the complaint was city slickers being too ignorant to drive to the road conditions cause that was generally the case. The same drivers were also the jackA$$es  who thought it was fun to mud bog down the trail in spring, guess who got to clean it up for the logging truck? The ruts created by the 4WD crowd were part of the cost of doing business, it sucks when people are ignorant and you need to pay to fix their mess.

It wasn't the truck that made the difference, it was the driver. I've always held a grudge against the 4WD crowd, precisely because it took money out of my pocket cleaning up their mess. If you need 4WD on a mud road what kind of shape are you leaving it in for the next driver? If its needed for off roading through snow roads do you expect others to save you when you get stuck? Every vehicle gets stuck if it hangs up in snow,  I had to shovel a semi truck out once and that's a lot of tires.

Usually the situations they describe as requiring 4WD end up passing costs onto others; we rescued several people from being left in the forest in -20 weather and spent considerable money and time after they had a fun afternoon.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16173 on: December 22, 2016, 10:39:06 AM »
Does 2WD mean RWD like a Miata or FWD like a SAAB?

Not going to speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone would the benefits of RWD in snow.  When I hear 2WD I assume FWD.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16174 on: December 22, 2016, 10:43:32 AM »
We always had a potluck at lunch with everyone either bringing something or paying $3.00

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #16175 on: December 22, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »

I don't think they sell those at the Lexus or Audi dealerships.  :)  My parents are Bogleheads, NOT Mustachians.

Lexus and Acura are the high end version of Toyota and Honda respectively.  They can get a CR-V or Rav4 Re-skin if that's really what floats their boat.

The comparable models are Lexus NX 200t and the Acura RDX.

Of course you could also point out to them that it's literally the same car as the CR-V/RAV4 but with some extra features that they probably don't need.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:16:33 AM by druth »

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16176 on: December 22, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »

Could you share the link? I've had horrible luck with leggings for myself and daughter on 'zon.

I bought these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JBQRWB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This company has some different combinations of # of pair and color combos. This is a multi-pack which suited my needs. I will say that I would not recommend these to someone taller than 5'6" as they'll be too short.

Also I wholeheartedly agree with IowaJess and everyone else who said LuLaRoe are UGLY prints. Almost all of the designs make me think "middle-aged+ teacher." Nothing about the prints say "classy, stylish, young professional" to me and while I might not hit that definition very often, it's usually what I'm aiming for.

Yes they also sell solid color leggings but apparently those are really hard to come by (as Iowajess said, the consultants can't choose what they are sent, the company sends what they want), especially black. I don't know about you but almost all of my leggings are solid black to wear under dresses in the winter.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:49:01 PM by Megma »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16177 on: December 22, 2016, 02:19:51 PM »

You'd be surprised what you can find at Lexus dealerships: http://www.dchlexusofoxnard.com/VehicleSearchResults?make=Honda

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16178 on: December 22, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »

You'd be surprised what you can find at Lexus dealerships: http://www.dchlexusofoxnard.com/VehicleSearchResults?make=Honda

What mere plebeian would buy a used car?

pfffft!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16179 on: December 22, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »

What mere plebeian would buy a used car?

pfffft!

I don't want my butler to think above his station.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16180 on: December 22, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »

Okay, I reword this:

Yep, this is exactly right.  AWD with all-seasons handles far worse than a 2 wheel drive car with snow tires in any winter situation you're ever likely to find yourself in. 

Well that is quite the loaded statement. What kind of AWD are we talking about? The Honda version of the late 90's where it only comes into play if the front wheels slip? Or something like an Outback in which it is a real AWD system? Does 2WD mean RWD like a Miata or FWD like a SAAB?

I'd have taken my SAAB in all seasons over just about anything in snow tires. I'd take any AWD vehicle in all seasons over my Miata on snow tires--Hell, I'd say that on anything but ice the FWD Corolla with all seasons was better than the Miata on snow tires and an under-steer setup.

BTW, the SAAB in snows was unstoppable. The only thing I've drive that was better was a 4Runner in snows. But the SAAB in all seasons was good enough for 99% of what I saw--which is to say a very snowy area, the only time it got stopped was when the snow was 3 feet high.

Unless you need to stop or turn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #16181 on: December 22, 2016, 05:05:46 PM »
If you need 4WD on a mud road what kind of shape are you leaving it in for the next driver?

Used intelligently, 4WD can actually reduce the wear and tear on a muddy road.  The other day I was towing my trailer into a dirt driveway that was soggy and starting to thaw.  Slipped a bit, so I hopped out, turned in the hubs, put the truck in 4-high and made it up the driveway easily and without burning out ruts trying to find some traction.  Went back and checked and there was about 2" ruts right where I'd first slipped before switching to 4WD, and none after.  I've had a similar experience towing horses out of a slightly sloped driveway with packed snow/ice.  Having all 4 wheels pushing was critical to pulling  the trailer out smoothly.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16182 on: December 23, 2016, 01:53:39 AM »
Here's what to do:  Mix up a solution of 1/3 water and 2/3 isopropyl/rubbing alcohol.  Put it in a spray bottle.  You can also store a spray bottle of this stuff in your car.  Spray your windshield (and other car windows).  Instant melt, frost all gone :-)

Plus if you ever get in a traffic accident, be sure to discretely spritz a little on the other party before the police show up to save hundreds in insurance premiums! /s

Back on topic: My office is open 50 weeks a year. For union voodoo reasons everyone gets a set rate over those 50 weeks and then signs a form to have it reduced slightly and annualised so they don't "miss" a paycheque at Christmas. Today the HR lady was chasing my boss down because he hadn't filled in his form (he's near retirement, has his shit together, presumably values the money sooner in the year so it can be invested and just live on savings for the Christmas break*)

My coworker told her "Oh, he didn't return it because he doesn't want to."

HR lady: "But if I don't get this form in he won't be getting paid!"

I reassured her too but eventually she had to call the boss and even then it was such an edge case that she needed to pull him back from where he was to come into her office and confirm it in person too. I thought it was funny that the "default" option is the one that requires a multi-page contract printed in duplicate and handed in person to all 300 members of staff and returned by a set date.

*Since we had our conversation I've realised that mathematically I should be doing this too. I'm still new to the Mustachianism thing so I still feel like I'll just overspend the "extra" money and not come out any further ahead. Whats the future value of an extra couple bucks a week (lets say $40) spread over a year if just my bank gives 3% p.a.?

In Canada there is the debate about having a large return or filing T1213 to reduce the amount of tax deducted from one's paycheque. I've tended to go with maximizing my paycheques. For me the different is around 300$ per paycheque though.

I do get what you mean about feeling "like I'll just overspend the 'extra' money and not come out any further ahead." The words of _The Wealthy Barber_ may help. "Pay yourself first" he says. If you have any debts (myself student loans), assign that 40$/week to the debt before you plan to spend it. Heck, some lovely lunatics ;) adventurous individuals on this forum would even try to gamify your situation and not spend anything in the two weeks.

Not to mention that the form is a pain, you need to show proof of your deductions (e.g., self directed RRSP), it takes a couple of months to receive the approval...approval is not automatic and you can be denied if your prior year was under paid or something... then you need to repeat it every year.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16183 on: December 23, 2016, 07:44:06 AM »
Because my workplace has become much less pleasant over the last few years, many of my co-workers have expressed envy that I can choose to leave (7 days left and counting). I kind of thought that my ability to leave, cheerfully, kindly, and with solid work behind me would have left an impression. Or the fact that we've amassed a pile of cash. (Everyone wants to know how that happened). People are quizzing me so intensely that I'm thinking of having cards printed up with a link to the "The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement" and handing them out.

In the midst of all of these questions and sudden enthusiasm for early retirement, I was surprised to stop by one of my favorite colleagues' desk to find that she is pricing plots of land and is planning to have a house built for her on the land. (She currently lives with just one other person in a fairly large house, so she doesn't actually need extra space.)

"No, no, Emmie!" I said. "Don't you want to be free?"

"Yeah." she said.

"Don't you want to be free more than you want a larger house?"

"No, I want the house."

So there you have it. Not really a reason to mock her. She knows what she wants. But still, why pine for retirement if you are actively choosing not to pursue it?

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16184 on: December 23, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
Employee A asks employee B why he isn't retiring eventhough he is fully vested and ready to collect pension equal to 60% of salary for life.  Employee B says pension isn't enough, will still have $1400 shortfall each month.  By my estimation, this means he is spending close to 85% of his salary to maintain his lifestyle and apparently he can't give up any of it.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16185 on: December 23, 2016, 09:51:19 AM »
Employee A asks employee B why he isn't retiring eventhough he is fully vested and ready to collect pension equal to 60% of salary for life.  Employee B says pension isn't enough, will still have $1400 shortfall each month.  By my estimation, this means he is spending close to 85% of his salary to maintain his lifestyle and apparently he can't give up any of it.

Wow, and this is accounting for work related costs also? Wow.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16186 on: December 23, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »

... Which also means he's spent a standard working career earning a decent amount of money, and presumably still has a mortgage (or his monthly bills would be lower) and no other savings (to make up that shortfall).

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #16187 on: December 23, 2016, 10:18:34 AM »
....Wow, and this is accounting for work related costs also? Wow.

I always hear of work-related costs.  I guess I'm lucky -- my work gives me a clothing stipend (scrubs, anyway).  My continuing education costs / license costs are reimbursed.  Going out to eat is a choice -- when I worked overnights it was actually IMPOSSIBLE to order out because everything was closed.  I choose to live close to work so I incur way more wear-and-tear travel costs on my days off because I travel out of the city to see friends then.  I even use less electricity on work days because I'm not at home for large stretches of time.

I understand for some people they may be required to wear suits, dry clean them, or choose commute long distances to work (gas plus car wear-and-tear) and may be swayed to eat out more due to a certain work place culture.   But what are the work costs to the Mustachian?  For people even better than I, they would be biking to work anyway?  What are their hidden work costs?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16188 on: December 23, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »

... Which also means he's spent a standard working career earning a decent amount of money, and presumably still has a mortgage (or his monthly bills would be lower) and no other savings (to make up that shortfall).

Yes, maybe a cash out mortgage or multiple bigger houses along the way?

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #16189 on: December 23, 2016, 10:29:12 AM »

Couldnt he just leave and get another job and still get all the money, or do the pension rules prohibit that?

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16190 on: December 23, 2016, 10:56:59 AM »

Oh I left out one of the best parts: He is one of the very few people left with a company car with fully paid gas, insurance and maintenance.  Could have saved a TON of money over the years but it was obviously used to inflate said lifestyle.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16191 on: December 23, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »

Couldnt he just leave and get another job and still get all the money, or do the pension rules prohibit that?

It is permitted but he said something along the lines of his best option is to stay here I terms of salary.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16192 on: December 23, 2016, 11:06:07 AM »

It is permitted but he said something along the lines of his best option is to stay here I terms of salary.

Sometimes, depending on the setup of the pension, it can be a huge disservice to yourself if you leave after retirement age for a new job--espeically if the new job is for a short term.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16193 on: December 23, 2016, 11:48:56 AM »

Is the pension increasing as he delays taking it?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16194 on: December 23, 2016, 05:01:32 PM »

It likely does as a matter of percentage and also because the base salary will be higher.  Those old-school pensions are really golden handcuffs in that way.  It's usually a calculation like:

years of service * highest annual salary * SomeConstant

Since each year your highest annual salary likely goes up, and your years of service go up, it's like exponential growth (at least more than linear)

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16195 on: December 23, 2016, 05:05:53 PM »

Yes, but he would probably be dead by the time it caught up to said fancy pants lifestyle.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16196 on: December 24, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »

Several women wear leggings at my work on the regular, but very few of them who do have BMIs under 30. Better just to look at your screen.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16197 on: December 24, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
Coworker in building says they don't want to take a promotion because the increase in salary will negatively impact the amount of aid their child will receive for college.  TBH, I'm not completely familiar with the FAFSA process but this seems like a bad idea for the long term.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #16198 on: December 24, 2016, 03:30:44 PM »
Coworker in building says they don't want to take a promotion because the increase in salary will negatively impact the amount of aid their child will receive for college.  TBH, I'm not completely familiar with the FAFSA process but this seems like a bad idea for the long term.

The FAFSA formulas essentially work like a tax. You get to exclude some income, like the standard deduction and exemption. Then anything over that amount is called the Adjusted Available Income (AAI) and it gets "taxed" along a progressive scale towards your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The top "tax" rate on income is 47%. So for a parent whose kid is currently eligible for financial aid, in the 25% federal tax bracket, and let's say a 6% state income tax bracket, who also falls into this top rate on AAI for FAFSA (definitely feasible for these brackets to coincide, as an AAI of $32k+ falls into the 47% bracket for EFC), will experience an effective marginal "tax rate" of 85.65% (I added 7.65% for FICA - that's SS and Medicare taxes). So the effective marginal "tax" rate isn't over 100%, but it's getting damn close.

Just for fun, it is actually feasible for an increase in income to actually decrease aid under two scenarios for dependent students. Neither of these are likely to apply to your coworker.

1) If a dependent student's parents could have filed a 1040A or 1040EZ, or didn't have to file any taxes, and their combined income was less than $50k, then the student qualifies for the simplified EFC calculation. Under this simplified EFC calculation, all assets are excluded from the EFC calculation.

2) If a dependent student's parents meet the above conditions, in addition to having an income less than $25k, then the EFC is automatically zero.

These two exceptions are GREAT news for Mustachians who retire before their kids go to college.

Keep your total income under $50k and all of your assets get excluded from the EFC calculation. Your assets are "taxed" at ~12% (there's a "standard deduction here that varies by age and stuff but it's not that big by Mustachian portfolio standards - up to $30k at most). So if you've got $1M in assets, it would normally add $120k to the EFC, but that portion gets dropped to zero! (You still have an EFC from your income).

Keep your total income under $25k and your EFC is zero!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16199 on: December 24, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »

The FAFSA formulas essentially work like a tax. You get to exclude some income, like the standard deduction and exemption. Then anything over that amount is called the Adjusted Available Income (AAI) and it gets "taxed" along a progressive scale towards your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The top "tax" rate on income is 47%. So for a parent whose kid is currently eligible for financial aid, in the 25% federal tax bracket, and let's say a 6% state income tax bracket, who also falls into this top rate on AAI for FAFSA (definitely feasible for these brackets to coincide, as an AAI of $32k+ falls into the 47% bracket for EFC), will experience an effective marginal "tax rate" of 85.65% (I added 7.65% for FICA - that's SS and Medicare taxes). So the effective marginal "tax" rate isn't over 100%, but it's getting damn close.

Just for fun, it is actually feasible for an increase in income to actually decrease aid under two scenarios for dependent students. Neither of these are likely to apply to your coworker.

1) If a dependent student's parents could have filed a 1040A or 1040EZ, or didn't have to file any taxes, and their combined income was less than $50k, then the student qualifies for the simplified EFC calculation. Under this simplified EFC calculation, all assets are excluded from the EFC calculation.

2) If a dependent student's parents meet the above conditions, in addition to having an income less than $25k, then the EFC is automatically zero.

These two exceptions are GREAT news for Mustachians who retire before their kids go to college.

Keep your total income under $50k and all of your assets get excluded from the EFC calculation. Your assets are "taxed" at ~12% (there's a "standard deduction here that varies by age and stuff but it's not that big by Mustachian portfolio standards - up to $30k at most). So if you've got $1M in assets, it would normally add $120k to the EFC, but that portion gets dropped to zero! (You still have an EFC from your income).

Keep your total income under $25k and your EFC is zero!

Wow, that really is great news.  Hope it's still true in a couple decades :-P

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!