Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253063 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #16100 on: December 16, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »
I was under the impression that $300/day in Cambodia would get you treated like actual royalty. People carrying you around, hand-feeding you food, waving a big leaf over you while you sleep.

$300/night for a hotel rooms exist in extremely LCOL countries. They are usually marketed for business and government travelers that expense it. I know a relative that flew to Delhi, India and stayed at a hotel that cost that much. He didn't have a choice in the matter as the hotel was booked by the people he was consulting for. He wishes he could have just stayed with at his cousin's house.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16101 on: December 16, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »
I was under the impression that $300/day in Cambodia would get you treated like actual royalty. People carrying you around, hand-feeding you food, waving a big leaf over you while you sleep.

$300/night for a hotel rooms exist in extremely LCOL countries. They are usually marketed for business and government travelers that expense it. I know a relative that flew to Delhi, India and stayed at a hotel that cost that much. He didn't have a choice in the matter as the hotel was booked by the people he was consulting for. He wishes he could have just stayed with at his cousin's house.

Yes, my work will sometimes say that the only hotel that meets our security requirements is over $300/night. Once a hotel knows that they are the only one that meet the requirements they can basically charge what they like.

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #16102 on: December 16, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »
Just talked to my colleague. We were discussing finance, investments, mortgage. And somehow my colleague mentioned her friend.
Her friend is from the family of 6 kids. His father was janitor, his mother - clerk. His father died like couple of years ago. Turned out he left millions in stocks. He was very frugal all his life and was investing all his life as well.

My colleague mentioned that his kids think that he did not have an opportunity to enjoy the life probably because he was so frugal and did not indulge his himself and his kids.

I told that this might not be the case. Frugal does not mean not happy.

Fascinating story! ))

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #16103 on: December 16, 2016, 03:06:35 PM »
Just talked to my colleague. We were discussing finance, investments, mortgage. And somehow my colleague mentioned her friend.
Her friend is from the family of 6 kids. His father was janitor, his mother - clerk. His father died like couple of years ago. Turned out he left millions in stocks. He was very frugal all his life and was investing all his life as well.

My colleague mentioned that his kids think that he did not have an opportunity to enjoy the life probably because he was so frugal and did not indulge his himself and his kids.

I told that this might not be the case. Frugal does not mean not happy.

Fascinating story! ))

Amen.  My fondest memories with my father were fishing on a lake, playing baseball in the park...all free or close to free stuff.  That's happiness.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16104 on: December 16, 2016, 03:14:31 PM »
Ok good. I haven't been time Cambodia, but having been to other Asian countries, I thought it sounded crazy.

We've been to Malaysia, Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia.   (Though only very small parts of those, obviously.)

Cambodia was the cheapest of them, for both food and lodging.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16105 on: December 16, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »

Yes, my work will sometimes say that the only hotel that meets our security requirements is over $300/night. Once a hotel knows that they are the only one that meet the requirements they can basically charge what they like.

We paid close to over 400/night for hotel rooms for a work event this year in Lagos, Nigeria. We regularly hold international events in developing countries and this was so high that we pushed back on the local organizing team's choice - they insisted this was the only/best choice as the hotel had the needed security. Pricy.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16106 on: December 17, 2016, 01:35:14 AM »

We paid close to over 400/night for hotel rooms for a work event this year in Lagos, Nigeria. We regularly hold international events in developing countries and this was so high that we pushed back on the local organizing team's choice - they insisted this was the only/best choice as the hotel had the needed security. Pricy.

Yes, same situation. I suspect that some of our local teams have agreements in place to recommend a specific hotel. I know that one of them gets their holiday party free at the hotel they recommend.

snorrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16107 on: December 18, 2016, 12:28:54 AM »
I work in a clothing boutique. My coworkers and I are expected to look well-dressed (thankfully we get clothing from the store - a very mustachian solution) and put together. I wear the minimum of make-up I can get away with and overheard the following:

CW1: It's such an amazing product! Our boss recommended it, so of course I had to try it!
CW2: I got it too, I'm wearing it now! (Could not see anything different from the other day)
CW1: Yes, the only trouble is, when I wore it daily, it ran out in about three weeks, so be careful!
CW2: Yes, better make it last, because 70euros every three weeks is a bit too much
ME: *goes to pick up jaw from floor*

This coming from a couple of people who earn retail wages and spend most of it on clothes from the store and breakfast/lunch.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16108 on: December 18, 2016, 12:40:52 AM »
I work in a clothing boutique. My coworkers and I are expected to look well-dressed (thankfully we get clothing from the store - a very mustachian solution) and put together. I wear the minimum of make-up I can get away with and overheard the following:

CW1: It's such an amazing product! Our boss recommended it, so of course I had to try it!
CW2: I got it too, I'm wearing it now! (Could not see anything different from the other day)
CW1: Yes, the only trouble is, when I wore it daily, it ran out in about three weeks, so be careful!
CW2: Yes, better make it last, because 70euros every three weeks is a bit too much
ME: *goes to pick up jaw from floor*

This coming from a couple of people who earn retail wages and spend most of it on clothes from the store and breakfast/lunch.

70 euro every three weeks "a bit" too much?!?!

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16109 on: December 18, 2016, 08:14:48 AM »
[...]
First, the conversation is about our bigger paycheck, "13th month", that is coming next week. We get roughly a double salary in December.

CW1: When is our paycheck coming? I believe next Wednesday?
CW2: Yes, next Wednesday.
CW1: I'm so looking forward to it. Double salary.
Me: When I had a zero-hour contract here and got paid per hour I worked, I would not get this 13th month, but instead I would get a bit more every hour I worked. I liked that, a bigger paycheck every month, compared to waiting until the end of the year.
CW1: Oh, but I like this more. It really feels like extra money. I always love to think about what I can do with that money!

[...]

I have to admit that I also like the fact that I get paid a 13th month, instead of a slightly larger paycheck each month. This way it's much easier to not spend it 'accidentally'. It just makes sure that the extra payment goes straight to my mortgage. I know myself. Getting a bigger paycheck would definitely mean a higher savings rate. But some of it would get spend too...

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16110 on: December 18, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »
[...]
First, the conversation is about our bigger paycheck, "13th month", that is coming next week. We get roughly a double salary in December.

CW1: When is our paycheck coming? I believe next Wednesday?
CW2: Yes, next Wednesday.
CW1: I'm so looking forward to it. Double salary.
Me: When I had a zero-hour contract here and got paid per hour I worked, I would not get this 13th month, but instead I would get a bit more every hour I worked. I liked that, a bigger paycheck every month, compared to waiting until the end of the year.
CW1: Oh, but I like this more. It really feels like extra money. I always love to think about what I can do with that money!

[...]

I have to admit that I also like the fact that I get paid a 13th month, instead of a slightly larger paycheck each month. This way it's much easier to not spend it 'accidentally'. It just makes sure that the extra payment goes straight to my mortgage. I know myself. Getting a bigger paycheck would definitely mean a higher savings rate. But some of it would get spend too...

Learning this sort of thing about yourself early has to be one of the most important financial and life lessons. Have you read 'Predictably Irrational'? It taught me some interesting things about myself.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16111 on: December 18, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »
I earned a much bigger performance bonus this year, it really felt like extra money that I should do something special for myself with, so i invested it in low-fee index funds and increased my savings rate to a personal record level!  Pampering achieved!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #16112 on: December 18, 2016, 10:13:32 AM »
I earned a much bigger performance bonus this year, it really felt like extra money that I should do something special for myself with, so i invested it in low-fee index funds and increased my savings rate to a personal record level!  Pampering achieved!

What a great way to treat yourself!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16113 on: December 18, 2016, 10:17:48 AM »
Co-worker has recently split with their partner and has a couple of kids.

They are struggling to work out budgeting after 20 odd years of marriage and shared expenses which is understandable. What I don't get is that they are struggling financially to manage and yet keep doing things like buying one of the kids a car or agreeing to pay for a birthday party for 100 guests with food and alcohol provided...

Even more staggering is they are making these decisions independently of the ex partner and then calculating how much the ex 'owes' for their share of the kids' expenses and getting annoyed about how unfair it is that the ex won't contribute.

I used to work with a guy who would have these disputes periodically with his wife's ex-husband, the father of his stepsons. "I don't understand why he won't pay half for the boys' [insert long list of activities]".

Well, probably because 1. you don't ask him before you sign the boys up for expensive sports and other activities, and 2. because the guy works as a cook at a neighborhood pizza place while you and your wife are both white collar professionals earning significantly more money.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16114 on: December 18, 2016, 03:42:15 PM »

Treat yo' self!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16115 on: December 18, 2016, 04:02:14 PM »

Treat yo' self!

I loved everything about both of these comments.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16116 on: December 18, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
A guy at work is just telling us he has purchased a bike for $10000 and is now trying to work out how to tell his wife. He is considering telling her he has quit smoking and he will use his smoking money to pay off the bike, but he was telling us this just after he came back from having a cigarette so not too sure how that will work out for him

He also doesnt have a licence so the shop wont let him take the bike (that he is paying for) until he gets his learners permit

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16117 on: December 18, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »
A guy at work is just telling us he has purchased a bike for $10000 and is now trying to work out how to tell his wife. He is considering telling her he has quit smoking and he will use his smoking money to pay off the bike, but he was telling us this just after he came back from having a cigarette so not too sure how that will work out for him

He also doesnt have a licence so the shop wont let him take the bike (that he is paying for) until he gets his learners permit

$10,000 on a presumably-new bike which is about to get dropped by a learner rider? Winning.

LAMS bikes tend to have solid re-sale value because there is always a cohort of new riders who need to do their time on a 650, but he could have had reasonable learner bike for a third of that price.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16118 on: December 18, 2016, 08:07:35 PM »

$10,000 on a presumably-new bike which is about to get dropped by a learner rider? Winning.

LAMS bikes tend to have solid re-sale value because there is always a cohort of new riders who need to do their time on a 650, but he could have had reasonable learner bike for a third of that price.

yes new, on 2% interest. He didnt want a second hand one because he wouldnt have been able to get a loan for it

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16119 on: December 19, 2016, 01:56:53 AM »

yes new, on 2% interest. He didnt want a second hand one because he wouldnt have been able to get a loan for it

And doesn't he deserve a new bike as a treat for quitting smoking...? Oh, wait.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16120 on: December 19, 2016, 02:21:25 AM »

It gets worse really, since earlier this year they refinanced their mortgage to consolidate all their debts (I think they had about 50k in personal loans/ car loans/ cc debt) and by the sounds of it they will be back in the same position in another 12 months

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16121 on: December 19, 2016, 05:41:54 AM »

I got a decent bonus too, and was like, MMM said I could buy myself a fancy coffee, since it's such a decent amount! But... nah, I'd rather put it all in savings.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16122 on: December 19, 2016, 06:28:09 AM »

It gets worse really, since earlier this year they refinanced their mortgage to consolidate all their debts (I think they had about 50k in personal loans/ car loans/ cc debt) and by the sounds of it they will be back in the same position in another 12 months

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16123 on: December 19, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »

This is such a horrible maneuver, because it doesn't get rid of the underlying problem, uncontrolled spending.  My sister talked my mom into doing this a few years ago and I didn't find out until afterwards.  I was like 'are you f'ing crazy?!'.  And yep, took less than a year before the CC debt started adding back up again.  Then she got mad at her and all I could say was 'how could you possibly have seen that going any other way?'.  40 years of bad spending habits don't go away just because you shuffle debts around.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16124 on: December 19, 2016, 10:58:09 AM »
Two coworkers discussing car payments, lamenting the high costs, etc.  Coworker A finishes the conversation by telling coworker B that as soon as his current car is paid off he will be upgrading to a pickup truck.

This is like... the very DEFINITION of not getting the point.

And yeah, I agree that cars are overpriced and commuting is expensive and sucky. Which is why you buy a cheap compact car, maintain it well so it keeps running, and commute as little as possible (either by living close to work or by negotiating partial work-from-home arrangements), thus mitigating the cost. That's ADDRESSING the point.

During a conversation with a co-worker, we were discussing credit utilization as it relates to one's credit score.

CW1: Yea credit utilization is a major part of your credit score, mine went down when I paid off some credit card debt. Whats your limit?

Me: I have 14,000 in credit over a few different cards, but I don't carry a balance.

CW1: I've got a 40,000 limit with a 14,000 dollar balance.

Me: (!!!...) Oh... was that before you paid it down?

CW1: No, after.

Holy cow. Thats like the cost of a new car, at credit card interest rates.

*headdesk* OMFG. I can't even. 14K at credit card rates. WTF.

... Between my husband and I, we have 2 lines of credit and 2 credit cards. If we maxed everything out, we'd have over 80K worth of debt that we're approved for, no questions asked. We use... well, right now, about 2K, which is standard monthly expenses that go on the credit card and get paid off. The rest is free and clear.

And to be clear: I have no idea WHY we're approved for this much, because we'd be so screwed if we ever dug ourselves into that much debt. Thank god we have common sense.

I would have to be arsed to actually add it all up. I've got over $35K in credit cards just with Chase. My wife has something similar. I have 4 other credit card issuers. Probably $200k or something silly like that. Everything paid off in full every month, of course.

One of my co-workers just didn't get it about what I pay in interest. $0. He carries a balance for some stupid reason - he's got plenty of cash coming in, more than I do. He does like his toys. Anyway, he's all insistent that I tell him my rate because he's all proud he only pays like 10%. Wouldn't accept it that my rate is $0, because I pay it off every month. "Yeah, but what's your RATE?"

Champ, it's $0. They lend me money for free. Just pay it off every month.

"Yeah, but what's your RATE?"

Actually, they pay me to loan me money. My "Rate" would be somewhere between -2% and -5%, since that's my cash back depending on the category.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16125 on: December 19, 2016, 11:01:12 AM »
Two coworkers discussing car payments, lamenting the high costs, etc.  Coworker A finishes the conversation by telling coworker B that as soon as his current car is paid off he will be upgrading to a pickup truck.

This is like... the very DEFINITION of not getting the point.

And yeah, I agree that cars are overpriced and commuting is expensive and sucky. Which is why you buy a cheap compact car, maintain it well so it keeps running, and commute as little as possible (either by living close to work or by negotiating partial work-from-home arrangements), thus mitigating the cost. That's ADDRESSING the point.

During a conversation with a co-worker, we were discussing credit utilization as it relates to one's credit score.

CW1: Yea credit utilization is a major part of your credit score, mine went down when I paid off some credit card debt. Whats your limit?

Me: I have 14,000 in credit over a few different cards, but I don't carry a balance.

CW1: I've got a 40,000 limit with a 14,000 dollar balance.

Me: (!!!...) Oh... was that before you paid it down?

CW1: No, after.

Holy cow. Thats like the cost of a new car, at credit card interest rates.

*headdesk* OMFG. I can't even. 14K at credit card rates. WTF.

... Between my husband and I, we have 2 lines of credit and 2 credit cards. If we maxed everything out, we'd have over 80K worth of debt that we're approved for, no questions asked. We use... well, right now, about 2K, which is standard monthly expenses that go on the credit card and get paid off. The rest is free and clear.

And to be clear: I have no idea WHY we're approved for this much, because we'd be so screwed if we ever dug ourselves into that much debt. Thank god we have common sense.

I would have to be arsed to actually add it all up. I've got over $35K in credit cards just with Chase. My wife has something similar. I have 4 other credit card issuers. Probably $200k or something silly like that. Everything paid off in full every month, of course.

One of my co-workers just didn't get it about what I pay in interest. $0. He carries a balance for some stupid reason - he's got plenty of cash coming in, more than I do. He does like his toys. Anyway, he's all insistent that I tell him my rate because he's all proud he only pays like 10%. Wouldn't accept it that my rate is $0, because I pay it off every month. "Yeah, but what's your RATE?"

Champ, it's $0. They lend me money for free. Just pay it off every month.

"Yeah, but what's your RATE?"

Actually, they pay me to loan me money. My "Rate" would be somewhere between -2% and -5%, since that's my cash back depending on the category.

If you want to really mess with him tell it's 10%. He'll likely curse and try to get whatever credit card you have. It likely isn't worth the joke as he'll likely badger the crap out of you to get details.

I have no clue what my APR is as like you I pay off my card in full each month. In fact, as I travel a decent amount I have it set to autopay (I do check the statements carefully).

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16126 on: December 19, 2016, 11:03:11 AM »

I got a decent bonus too, and was like, MMM said I could buy myself a fancy coffee, since it's such a decent amount! But... nah, I'd rather put it all in savings.

LOL, yup same here.  I only remembered the fancy coffee thing well after i transferred it all to my retirement funds, and since i brew some pretty good coffee at home now, i couldn't care less about fancy coffee out anymore.  I get more pumped by increasing my savings rate than buying myself anything these days. 

Treat yo' self!

I loved everything about both of these comments.

Thanks ARS!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16127 on: December 19, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »
I just borrow my wife's black dress.  Free to me

I can't fit into my wife's black dress.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16128 on: December 19, 2016, 02:16:09 PM »
I just borrow my wife's black dress.  Free to me

I can't fit into my wife's black dress.

Odd, she lets me get into it.

:)

(Sorry, you made that joke too easy.)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16129 on: December 19, 2016, 02:49:05 PM »

This is such a horrible maneuver, because it doesn't get rid of the underlying problem, uncontrolled spending.  My sister talked my mom into doing this a few years ago and I didn't find out until afterwards.  I was like 'are you f'ing crazy?!'.  And yep, took less than a year before the CC debt started adding back up again.  Then she got mad at her and all I could say was 'how could you possibly have seen that going any other way?'.  40 years of bad spending habits don't go away just because you shuffle debts around.

yeah when he did the inital debt consolidation we asked if he was going to cut up the credit cards but he said he couldnt incase he wanted a jet ski or something in the future.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #16130 on: December 19, 2016, 02:55:07 PM »

My co-worker who complains the most about work is also the one who dines out at lunch every day: minimum of $12, but $30 and up is not uncommon. Last week I joined him for another co-worker’s b-day lunch (I eat out about once every month or two). I got a $7.50 bowl of rice and chicken and he complained about his $25 beef dish.

He has also confessed to me that he has purchased $300 dress shoes and has an eBay lamp buying addiction (read: expensive and decorative) and no longer has enough room in his townhome to display any more lamps.

Recently he informed me that he sold his Lexus “because it was 10 years old.” And he “got a really good deal” on a brand new Lexus (same basic model). A few minutes ago he was complaining about some of the annoyances with the electronic interface of the new car. I said, “You should have stuck with the old car,” and he halfway agreed.

He says his sister bought it from him to give it to her son – who is currently 13 years old! She’s going to keep it for 2 or 3 years until he is old enough to drive.

Of course, the boy doesn’t want a nice luxury sedan. He wants a great big pickup truck. So she will probably sell it. I said why not buy it back from her and get rid of the new Lexus? He just shrugged his shoulders and said, “Yeah, oh well.”

I can’t wait to tell him I’m retiring in style in just a couple of years.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16131 on: December 20, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »
He says his sister bought it from him to give it to her son – who is currently 13 years old! She’s going to keep it for 2 or 3 years until he is old enough to drive.

Of course, the boy doesn’t want a nice luxury sedan. He wants a great big pickup truck. So she will probably sell it. I said why not buy it back from her and get rid of the new Lexus? He just shrugged his shoulders and said, “Yeah, oh well.”

Wow, just wow. No words beyond that...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16132 on: December 20, 2016, 06:41:08 PM »

yeah when he did the inital debt consolidation we asked if he was going to cut up the credit cards but he said he couldnt incase he wanted a jet ski or something in the future.

People put a jet ski on a credit card? The fuck stupid is that!

No money left for a life jacket I presume.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16133 on: December 20, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »

People put a jet ski on a credit card? The fuck stupid is that!

No money left for a life jacket I presume.

I am not sure if he would put a jetski on a credit card he just wanted the option. though if its anything like the bike it didnt go on a credit card since his wife would see that, instead it was a loan just in his name so she doesnt find out

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16134 on: December 21, 2016, 04:06:11 AM »
I am not sure if he would put a jetski on a credit card he just wanted the option. though if its anything like the bike it didnt go on a credit card since his wife would see that, instead it was a loan just in his name so she doesnt find out

Where does the money for the payments come from? I suppose the wife never checks the checking account to notice loan payments sneaking out of there; she just checks the cc statement.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16135 on: December 21, 2016, 04:16:16 AM »
I have heard of the expression "wife receipt" among fly fishing guys who want to hide the real prices from their wives. I think it's stupid. If your new tool is so expensive it doesn't tolerate your spouse knowing about it, you obviously can't afford it.

I might have some opinions about the prices of my DH's fly fishing rods and his new bike, but I keep it for myself. I understand that he wants to spend some money on himself on his hobbies. We can afford it easily and I know the rods will last a life time. But of course we end up with a really big number.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16136 on: December 21, 2016, 08:38:08 AM »
Out of nowhere my life has been infiltrated by the LuLaRoe MLM fad of the moment. I heard my first mention of it about two months ago at the office while eating lunch and now it's all over facebook and several of my colleagues are talking about it constantly. And apparently it's all they are wearing.

Highlights of the LuLaRoe conversations I've heard:

- This company specializes in leggings which are $25/pair! That is their most popular and least expensive item. Tops are $35. In case you are not familiar with leggings prices I recently bought a 6-pack of fleece lined leggings (ie the warmer thicker kind) for $30 on Amazon.
- These $25 leggings are apparently special because they are "extra" soft and made of a "special" fabric - they are 100% polyester.
- One co-worker spent $125 on leggings at a home party recently.
- A facebook friend recently pleaded for an intervention after buying 8 pairs of Halloween print leggings for her and her daughter
- Several co-workers have friends who have quit their jobs to sell LuLaRoe full time, they said the starting buy-in for a consultant is $5,000+ (that is 200 pairs of leggings at the retail price, so probably 400ish if they are getting wholesale price). One of these sellers renovated a room in her house to function as her showroom for parties.
- One co-worker accidentally hit the "claim" button on a consultant's online ordering page (you can buy online by "claiming" something they post or at a house party) and said "ok I guess I will buy them since I hit the button on accident" - what?

I hope for the sake of these people who have quit their jobs to buy and sell thousands of dollars worth of leggings that this fad lasts but I'm tired of hearing about it.

Also, I might be prematurely an old lady but I don't think wearing leggings as pants to the office is acceptable attire. Leggings under a dress, fine. Leggings to run errands or when not at work, do as you please. But I do not want to see your butt cheeks at the office.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16137 on: December 21, 2016, 08:42:59 AM »
We've had our first round of snowy weather the last week or two, so the most common topic of conversation is people complaining about their ridiculous commutes becoming even MORE ridiculous because the roads are icy.

If only you'd had some inclination before building a house in a third-ring exurb that it snows here in Western New York, like the fact that we're literally only known for harsh winters and chicken wings. If only.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #16138 on: December 21, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »
We've had our first round of snowy weather the last week or two, so the most common topic of conversation is people complaining about their ridiculous commutes becoming even MORE ridiculous because the roads are icy.

If only you'd had some inclination before building a house in a third-ring exurb that it snows here in Western New York, like the fact that we're literally only known for harsh winters and chicken wings. If only.

Sounds like a great excuse to go out and by a $80,000 luxury SUV with 4 wheel drive!

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #16139 on: December 21, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »
Out of nowhere my life has been infiltrated by the LuLaRoe MLM fad of the moment. I heard my first mention of it about two months ago at the office while eating lunch and now it's all over facebook and several of my colleagues are talking about it constantly. And apparently it's all they are wearing.

Highlights of the LuLaRoe conversations I've heard:

- This company specializes in leggings which are $25/pair! That is their most popular and least expensive item. Tops are $35. In case you are not familiar with leggings prices I recently bought a 6-pack of fleece lined leggings (ie the warmer thicker kind) for $30 on Amazon.
- These $25 leggings are apparently special because they are "extra" soft and made of a "special" fabric - they are 100% polyester.
- One co-worker spent $125 on leggings at a home party recently.
- A facebook friend recently pleaded for an intervention after buying 8 pairs of Halloween print leggings for her and her daughter
- Several co-workers have friends who have quit their jobs to sell LuLaRoe full time, they said the starting buy-in for a consultant is $5,000+ (that is 200 pairs of leggings at the retail price, so probably 400ish if they are getting wholesale price). One of these sellers renovated a room in her house to function as her showroom for parties.
- One co-worker accidentally hit the "claim" button on a consultant's online ordering page (you can buy online by "claiming" something they post or at a house party) and said "ok I guess I will buy them since I hit the button on accident" - what?

I hope for the sake of these people who have quit their jobs to buy and sell thousands of dollars worth of leggings that this fad lasts but I'm tired of hearing about it.

Also, I might be prematurely an old lady but I don't think wearing leggings as pants to the office is acceptable attire. Leggings under a dress, fine. Leggings to run errands or when not at work, do as you please. But I do not want to see your butt cheeks at the office.

I recently discovered what LuLaRoe is. A friend posted a picture of herself in a LuLaRoe work-appropriate skirt on facebook and I figured I'd check their website to see if I could find it since I'm very tall and the skirt looked like it would be long enough for me. After hunting around the website and trying to find where the eff the actual clothes were, I texted a friend who informed me that you had to find a "consultant" and go to their house to buy it. Uhhh no. Hard pass.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16140 on: December 21, 2016, 11:23:47 AM »
Lularoe fabric quality sucks for the price.  Don't do it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16141 on: December 21, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »

Sounds like a great excuse to go out and by a $80,000 luxury SUV with 4 wheel drive!

My Mom told me last night that my Dad is looking to buy a new car (and it will without a doubt be a luxury vehicle, he gets a new one every 2-3 years).

My Dad suggested "we should probably make sure to get a 4WD because of the snowy Iowa winters".  (Edit: They live in Texas.)  I'm expecting a baby in March, so they will probably come visit more than normal, but in 10 years they have NEVER visited me when there was snow on the ground...  Thankfully, my mother pointed that out to him; and I mentioned to her that 4WD isn't necessarily the best choice for driving in the snow on paved roads anyway.

Still, I'm sure the car will cost $75k plus regardless of what they buy.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:27:00 AM by iowajes »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16142 on: December 21, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »

My Mom told me last night that my Dad is looking to buy a new car (and it will without a doubt be a luxury vehicle, he gets a new one every 2-3 years).

My Dad suggested "we should probably make sure to get a 4WD because of the snowy Iowa winters".   I'm expecting a baby in March, so they will probably come visit more than normal, but in 10 years they have NEVER visited me when there was snow on the ground...  Thankfully, my mother pointed that out to him; and I mentioned to her that 4WD isn't necessarily the best choice for driving in the snow on paved roads anyway.

Urg. If a person doesn't know they need a 4wd, they probably don't.  On the other hand, with 4wd, on paved roads, there's just about nothing that you can't get through. I've lived in some places where 4wd is absolutely the difference between making it home and spending the night in a drift..

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16143 on: December 21, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »

Could you share the link? I've had horrible luck with leggings for myself and daughter on 'zon.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16144 on: December 21, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »

My Dad suggested "we should probably make sure to get a 4WD because of the snowy Iowa winters".   I'm expecting a baby in March, so they will probably come visit more than normal, but in 10 years they have NEVER visited me when there was snow on the ground...  Thankfully, my mother pointed that out to him; and I mentioned to her that 4WD isn't necessarily the best choice for driving in the snow on paved roads anyway.

Urg. If a person doesn't know they need a 4wd, they probably don't.  On the other hand, with 4wd, on paved roads, there's just about nothing that you can't get through. I've lived in some places where 4wd is absolutely the difference between making it home and spending the night in a drift..

The "wall of shame" was that he was planning on buying a vehicle for a purpose he has never ever driven in, and is highly unlikely to drive in.  It's like if I decided to get a Mini because parallel parking in NYC is tough and I go there twice a year. Doesn't matter that I've never parked in NYC, and am highly unlikely to in the future. It's just good to be "prepared".

Living here- I've had to leave the Civic at the bottom of a sloped driveway a few times; but a monster vehicle is just not needed. And now my driveway is flat :)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16145 on: December 21, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »

Why don't you point them to a Subaru or CR-V or RAV4?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16146 on: December 21, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »

My co-worker who complains the most about work is also the one who dines out at lunch every day: minimum of $12, but $30 and up is not uncommon. Last week I joined him for another co-worker’s b-day lunch (I eat out about once every month or two). I got a $7.50 bowl of rice and chicken and he complained about his $25 beef dish.

He has also confessed to me that he has purchased $300 dress shoes and has an eBay lamp buying addiction (read: expensive and decorative) and no longer has enough room in his townhome to display any more lamps.

Recently he informed me that he sold his Lexus “because it was 10 years old.” And he “got a really good deal” on a brand new Lexus (same basic model). A few minutes ago he was complaining about some of the annoyances with the electronic interface of the new car. I said, “You should have stuck with the old car,” and he halfway agreed.

I can’t wait to tell him I’m retiring in style in just a couple of years.

I heard about some older fellow keeping a collector car (in rough condition) for the grandchild - - who was in diapers...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16147 on: December 21, 2016, 02:01:23 PM »
Why don't you point them to a Subaru or CR-V or RAV4?

I don't think they sell those at the Lexus or Audi dealerships.  :)  My parents are Bogleheads, NOT Mustachians. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16148 on: December 21, 2016, 03:14:01 PM »
Tell your dad to get a Ford Raptor. (Wait, didn't they stop selling the v8?)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16149 on: December 21, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »

Where does the money for the payments come from? I suppose the wife never checks the checking account to notice loan payments sneaking out of there; she just checks the cc statement.

I think that's why he needs to lie and tell her he quit smoking it will be only a $200 a month payment (I think he said) or maybe they have slightly separate bank accounts.