Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5285688 times)

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #16050 on: December 02, 2016, 07:45:50 AM »
Overheard in my office building's elevator last night.

Woman: *sigh* I can't wait to retire. Well, I'm 40, so...only 27 more years, I guess.

I wanted to turn around and say, "You know that YOU decide your retirement age, right?"
I hate that mentality that your future is being determined by others.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #16051 on: December 02, 2016, 07:53:45 AM »

Woman: *sigh* I can't wait to retire. Well, I'm 40, so...only 27 more years, I guess.

I wanted to turn around and say, "You know that YOU decide your retirement age, right?"

My employer has a defined benefit pension plan.  Most people can tell you "how much time they have left" down to the day before they reach their full benefit.  They don't understand that there are other ways to retire sooner.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16052 on: December 02, 2016, 08:02:33 AM »
One of my clients today: We are looking for a new house because ours is 7 years old and things are going to start breaking.

Part of me says "Oh my..."

The other part of me says "Well, the way they're building houses so cheaply today, your clients are probably right..."
LOL
Maybe they mean the colors are getting murky?
Tell them to get a passive house build.
Maybe hard to get one in the US though. WP says you have only 13 over there. Even in those expensive area where the extra costs would be single % - not to mention the savings in energy costs.

ducky19

• Stubble
« Reply #16053 on: December 02, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »

Had a peer of mine who is five years my junior (I'm 42) state that she's got another 27 years until she retires. All I could think was "wtf???" as she makes low six figures in a LCOL area. I'm shooting for 10-15 (depending more on whether I'm enjoying work or not at that point). I can't imagine being here for 27 more years!

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16054 on: December 02, 2016, 10:23:49 AM »

My employer has a defined benefit pension plan.  Most people can tell you "how much time they have left" down to the day before they reach their full benefit.  They don't understand that there are other ways to retire sooner.

I can tell you down to the day.  Four years and 29 days.  But I'll get a payment for life and healthcare and I'll only be 53.  Rest of my needs will be met by savings and doing work I want to do.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16055 on: December 02, 2016, 10:29:33 AM »
Yeah, a defined benefit pension and healthcare really puts a different spin on the whole FI/RE thing.  That's why people in the military usually either walk away after the first tour or so, or try to stick it out to 20; if you get 10 years in, it's hard to not think "halfway to never worrying about medical and getting a decent check just for waking up every day for the rest of my life." 

Corporate plans are not quite as dependable necessarily, but still.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

Ramblin' Ma'am

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16056 on: December 02, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »

It almost seems like people think you're not "allowed" to retire before Social Security age...even aside from the question of whether you can afford it. I mean, even if she waited until 59 and then accessed her 401(k) without any tax hassles, that would still be eight years earlier than the official age.

I know I'm not going to retire as early as many on this site, but it certainly won't be at 67!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16057 on: December 02, 2016, 10:58:08 AM »

It almost seems like people think you're not "allowed" to retire before Social Security age...even aside from the question of whether you can afford it. I mean, even if she waited until 59 and then accessed her 401(k) without any tax hassles, that would still be eight years earlier than the official age.

I know I'm not going to retire as early as many on this site, but it certainly won't be at 67!

Reminds me of a conversation my dad was having with some friends of his... "mtndad, what is your Retirement Age" (meaning Social Security) "I'm not sure--it should be 66 for all of us, right? But I'm not taking it until they force me, so I really have no clue"

It was met with a lot of... not quite shock, but maybe mild surprise. He is probably retiring in about a year or less, as soon as his company offers him a package which he thinks is coming. I think he could have retired long ago, but he is too conservative for that.

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16058 on: December 02, 2016, 07:21:31 PM »
People will "stick" with the company or government set "retirement" and the calculators reinforce that.   I recently did a financial plan for my husband's and my retirement and I had a hell of a time getting the Social Security website to give me my estimated benefit at age 62 if I quit this year (I'm 56).  The assumption is work every year up to 62 with ever increasing pay.   Finally I had to calculate it out with my whole work record and assuming 0 pay for the next six years.   Turns out I'm giving up a whopping $100 per month with this plan vs working to 62.   Would have paid the government about another 100000 in FICA tax to gain $1200 per year.   I have to live about 80 more years to make that math work.  No wonder they want you to keep slaving away.

My husband retired last month at 60.  He has a pension and his coworkers were stunned he would leave because staying 5 more years would have gotten him another $500 per month.   Granted staying 5 more years at work isn't going to get him any more life?  Do they ever think of that?

BlueHouse

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16059 on: December 02, 2016, 08:41:23 PM »
The other day at work:

I: "You have a slow cooker, food processor, and blender, right?"

I have all of these, AND an instant pot (though I'm considering ditching my slow cooker).

I bought them all and use them all.

I love my appliances, what can I say. I also have a mixer and an immersion blender and a rice cooker and.... more things. LOL. But I love them and use them all.
OMG.  It just dawned on me that I had NONE of these things (except a blender) before I started reading MMM.  These forums are getting me to spend money on kitchen appliances.  I do like the rice from rice cooker.  And I do use my slow cooker at least 2x per month (making big giant batches), which I then freeze in mason jars (which I also bought based on advice from this forum).  Now I have an instant pot on order because....the forum says it's great.   wow.  I thought you guys were helping me! 
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16060 on: December 02, 2016, 09:03:31 PM »
The other day at work:

I have all of these, AND an instant pot (though I'm considering ditching my slow cooker).

I love my appliances, what can I say. I also have a mixer and an immersion blender and a rice cooker and.... more things. LOL. But I love them and use them all.
OMG.  It just dawned on me that I had NONE of these things (except a blender) before I started reading MMM.  These forums are getting me to spend money on kitchen appliances.  I do like the rice from rice cooker.  And I do use my slow cooker at least 2x per month (making big giant batches), which I then freeze in mason jars (which I also bought based on advice from this forum).  Now I have an instant pot on order because....the forum says it's great.   wow.  I thought you guys were helping me!

LOL. Well, the posters here only post information, what people do with it is up to them.

I don't know how you were in your pre-MMM days, but personally I have drastically cut down on eating out which is a positive change for both monetary and health reasons.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #16061 on: December 02, 2016, 10:44:50 PM »
The other day at work:

Sort of a double-edged sword:  if I was FIREd, I wouldn't need this Instant Pot.  But yeah, if it keeps us away from restaurants, it pays for itself pretty quickly.  Just made an Indian curry in mine tonight.  Yum.

Freedom Invested

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16062 on: December 03, 2016, 02:03:22 AM »
Reminds me of a conversation my dad was having with some friends of his... "mtndad, what is your Retirement Age" (meaning Social Security) "I'm not sure--it should be 66 for all of us, right? But I'm not taking it until they force me, so I really have no clue"

It was met with a lot of... not quite shock, but maybe mild surprise. He is probably retiring in about a year or less, as soon as his company offers him a package which he thinks is coming. I think he could have retired long ago, but he is too conservative for that.

This story makes me sad. My dad has been making 1/4 million+/yr for at least a decade (now 63yrs old). He has been saying for awhile that he wants to retire yet has no hobbies outside of work.

This should be a cautionary tale to us all to invest and to know how to do things other than work one job.
Compound interest, if understood and compounded with a quality education, would set us all free from debt and jobs we would rather quit.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16063 on: December 03, 2016, 06:50:24 AM »
This story makes me sad. My dad has been making 1/4 million+/yr for at least a decade (now 63yrs old). He has been saying for awhile that he wants to retire yet has no hobbies outside of work.

This should be a cautionary tale to us all to invest and to know how to do things other than work one job.
I have enough hobbies and interests that I could easily be occupied more than full time without a day job.  And I enjoy my job, too!

EfficiencyNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16064 on: December 05, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »
Not really an overheard at work story, but I was recently looking into getting a new TV during the sales around Black Friday. I was looking into getting a super-duper huge-ass 48 inch TV. Don't care if it's smart, don't care if it's 4k because I won't sit 3 feet from it, and definitely don't want 3D. The absolute most I was going to pay was $300. I happened to be talking to my boss about it at work and he's like, "why don't you just go all-out and get a 65 inch one?"

I just kind of gawked at him for a minute before I realized my mouth was hanging open. I didn't say it, but my thought was, 48 inches is already insanely huge. The man who dies with the biggest and best toys... still dies. I'd rather enjoy life while I have it.

I know it's terribly anti-mustachian of me to be buying a brand-spanking-new TV, but this will probably be our family TV for at least a decade. It's replacing an old TV that I've replaced several parts inside already, which will move to our bedroom until it finally dies again. I would have bought a used one, but interestingly I found that most ads on Craigslist were asking more than retail. Interesting phenomenon with TV prices always dropping so rapidly....

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16065 on: December 05, 2016, 02:59:04 PM »
I didn't say it, but my thought was, 48 inches is already insanely huge.

Yea TV sizes have gotten ridiculous.  I have a 37" and it's plenty big but people keep telling me I should go bigger.  It's almost easier to just not have a tv at all than hear about how you should get a 'better' one.

I would have bought a used one, but interestingly I found that most ads on Craigslist were asking more than retail. Interesting phenomenon with TV prices always dropping so rapidly....

I've noticed that before too.  I think it's people not wanting to admit to themselves how fast prices have dropped since they bought it and how much money they're now out.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16066 on: December 05, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »

Yea TV sizes have gotten ridiculous.  I have a 37" and it's plenty big but people keep telling me I should go bigger.  It's almost easier to just not have a tv at all than hear about how you should get a 'better' one.

I would have bought a used one, but interestingly I found that most ads on Craigslist were asking more than retail. Interesting phenomenon with TV prices always dropping so rapidly....

I've noticed that before too.  I think it's people not wanting to admit to themselves how fast prices have dropped since they bought it and how much money they're now out.

Last year I received a 19 inch flat screen TV in a gift exchange (the kind where you're constantly trading until you get stuck).  I had no need for a second TV and right after Christmas looked to sell it on Craigslist.  The New Years Day sales undercut the price it was bought for before Christmas and the retail price for that model dropped almost 30% by the time I was able to sell it four months later.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16067 on: December 05, 2016, 06:07:53 PM »

Last year I received a 19 inch flat screen TV in a gift exchange (the kind where you're constantly trading until you get stuck).  I had no need for a second TV and right after Christmas looked to sell it on Craigslist.  The New Years Day sales undercut the price it was bought for before Christmas and the retail price for that model dropped almost 30% by the time I was able to sell it four months later.

Had a friend try to sell his 2-year-old hot tub for 20% off MSRP.  No takers, shocker.

BetsyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16068 on: December 05, 2016, 07:58:22 PM »
My tv lives in the closet and only comes out for movies on the weekends. It really confuses friends the first time they come over for dinner and can't understand it.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16069 on: December 05, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »
Last year I received a 19 inch flat screen TV

You mean a really shitty resolution 19 inch monitor? :)

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #16070 on: December 06, 2016, 01:31:36 AM »
I know it's terribly anti-mustachian of me to be buying a brand-spanking-new TV, but this will probably be our family TV for at least a decade. It's replacing an old TV that I've replaced several parts inside already, which will move to our bedroom until it finally dies again. I would have bought a used one, but interestingly I found that most ads on Craigslist were asking more than retail. Interesting phenomenon with TV prices always dropping so rapidly....
This is for electronics in general. The low to mid segment has become so good that it usually is better to just buy one of those (or last years model going on sale) than look for a second hand one. How in the hell are you going to beat a fire tablet at 50 USD? or a new Moto G at 200 USD? Or a new 48 inch flat screen at 300 USD? The biggest savings are done by looking up a good value for money buy and then not updating every year! Buying a Moto G and using it for 4 years at a cheap carrier means very big savings compared to upgrade to the new iphone every two years and never looking for a cheap phone plan and will move your retirement date. Getting that Moto G at 200 USD or 180 USD: not really. It's a 5 USD savings per year over the life of the phone which means your stash could be 125 usd lower when you retire... Last month I was able to lower my call plan from 20 EURO to 15 EURO a month: that's is 60 euro a year or a reduction in stash of 1500 euro and all it took was 1 call of 2 minutes.
http://financialfreedomsloth.com/

achieving financial freedom one lazy step at a time

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16071 on: December 06, 2016, 07:23:09 AM »
Not really an overheard at work story, but I was recently looking into getting a new TV during the sales around Black Friday. I was looking into getting a super-duper huge-ass 48 inch TV. Don't care if it's smart, don't care if it's 4k because I won't sit 3 feet from it, and definitely don't want 3D. The absolute most I was going to pay was $300. I happened to be talking to my boss about it at work and he's like, "why don't you just go all-out and get a 65 inch one?"

I just kind of gawked at him for a minute before I realized my mouth was hanging open. I didn't say it, but my thought was, 48 inches is already insanely huge. The man who dies with the biggest and best toys... still dies. I'd rather enjoy life while I have it.

got a 65in tv LED Samsung 1080p shipped to my house and setup for 80 dollars. reviews have it as the best 1080p TV ever made.  its not about what you spend your money on as much as how you can stretch that dollar for something you're looking for.
PM me about how to save 6% on your annual grocery Bill!

There is a 35k starwood bonus right now as well. PM me for the info.

runningthroughFIRE

• Bristles
  • Ask for broader shoulders.
« Reply #16072 on: December 06, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »

This is actually what I did with my parents' old TV lol.  The fanciest thing I own is the computer I built a few years ago, and I had two 22' monitors when my Dad asked me if I wanted their old 19' or so bedroom TV.  I told him I didn't need it because I don't have cable and my monitors are nicer anyways, but it was a case of either I take it or they throw it out, so I took it.  I think he was expecting me to get cable if I had an actual TV, but I just use it as a third monitor.

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16073 on: December 06, 2016, 08:23:42 AM »
One of my clients today: We are looking for a new house because ours is 7 years old and things are going to start breaking.

Maybe they are like some of the people on YouTube who treat their homes like a circus tent?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16074 on: December 06, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »

Had a friend try to sell his 2-year-old hot tub for 20% off MSRP.  No takers, shocker.

I'd be impressed if he managed to sell it. He likely got a good ROI if he'd been able to use it for 2 years for only 20% MSRP.

EfficiencyNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16075 on: December 06, 2016, 09:32:14 AM »

This is actually what I did with my parents' old TV lol.  The fanciest thing I own is the computer I built a few years ago, and I had two 22' monitors when my Dad asked me if I wanted their old 19' or so bedroom TV.  I told him I didn't need it because I don't have cable and my monitors are nicer anyways, but it was a case of either I take it or they throw it out, so I took it.  I think he was expecting me to get cable if I had an actual TV, but I just use it as a third monitor.

HA, that's great. A dual or triple screen set up can be really handy. Much better use for a third screen than buying cable, IMHO.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16076 on: December 06, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »

Just wanted to note that my dads point was he didn't need the Social Security, and he won't take it until the government forces him to at age 70. He will be retiring either in a couple months when he's laid off, or if he's not laid off, in about 1.5 years when he hits his original goal.

Freedom Invested

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16077 on: December 06, 2016, 11:18:23 AM »

Just wanted to note that my dads point was he didn't need the Social Security, and he won't take it until the government forces him to at age 70. He will be retiring either in a couple months when he's laid off, or if he's not laid off, in about 1.5 years when he hits his original goal.

Ah, I see your point now and why they were surprised. Thanks, I guess I was so fixated on the age of working that I missed the context. :) Definitely won't be working for that long myself.
Compound interest, if understood and compounded with a quality education, would set us all free from debt and jobs we would rather quit.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16078 on: December 06, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »

Ah, I see your point now and why they were surprised. Thanks, I guess I was so fixated on the age of working that I missed the context. :) Definitely won't be working for that long myself.

Yeah this is a concern for my dad as well. He has enough to easily retire but he has no outside hobbies and few real friends.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16079 on: December 06, 2016, 02:22:11 PM »

Nope, this was an actual bona fide television, not a computer monitor.  I assume it's the kind people put on their kitchen counter or something like that.  The guy who finally bought it from me does some kind of cable repair service and was going to use it as an in-home test/demo kit.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16080 on: December 06, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »

Nope, this was an actual bona fide television, not a computer monitor.  I assume it's the kind people put on their kitchen counter or something like that.  The guy who finally bought it from me does some kind of cable repair service and was going to use it as an in-home test/demo kit.

Yeah, I have a 19" TV in my kitchen.  Have a switch behind it to toggle between the feed from the living room TV or the basement TV.  Mostly use it for watching sports or the news while cooking or cleaning up meals.  My wife got it to use in her dorm room like 12 years ago.  Works great.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16081 on: December 07, 2016, 02:37:06 AM »
Team discussing power bills...

Dude A: I hate paying my power bill; it's usually $500/quarter.

Dude B: Mine's $1500.

Dude A: That seems high...

Dude B: I keep the AC on all the time. It's easier than opening and closing windows.

(For comparison, mine is about $200.)

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16082 on: December 07, 2016, 08:35:28 AM »

Dude B: I keep the AC on all the time. It's easier than opening and closing windows.

Wow, he's paying $10/day so that he doesn't have to open and close windows!?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16083 on: December 07, 2016, 08:41:35 AM »

Dude. DUDE. That's more than I pay for power YEARLY, and I'm including electricity and wood heat for Quebec winters in that number. Like, DUDE. Shape up.

powersuitrecall

• Bristles
« Reply #16084 on: December 07, 2016, 10:08:04 AM »
The Christmas present buying orgy had begun around my workplace. 

Most people are reasonable, but there's this one guy ... he's building one kid adult child a $5K desktop computer, and the other is getting a karaoke machine.  He's buying himself a VR headset and some software to go with it.  His wife is getting an iPad with accessories. 

Everything goes on the HELOC, which he manages to keep pinned at around $450K.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16085 on: December 07, 2016, 10:28:01 AM »
I have a follow up to a much earlier post of mine on how people refuse to drink the free coffee provided at work. Some people just prefer paying for starbucks or other brand instead of green mountain I guess.

As a stipulation of the free coffee, my company provides 12 oz cups for use, but really encourages people to buy and use reusable cups (of any size). There are a number of people that don't have reusable cups and I assume feel the 12 oz cups are too small. Note that you can get unlimited refills. These people instead walk to the other side of the cafe, grab a 20oz soft-drink cup, and pay $1.10.

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16086 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:45 AM »
he's building one kid adult child a $5K desktop computer
What in the what?  I'm going pretty balls-to-the-walls with putting together a new desktop PC (that she actually needs for her work) for my GF after Kaby Lake and Z270 drop in January, and it'll wind up being like $2500 at the absolutely most...

powersuitrecall

• Bristles
« Reply #16087 on: December 07, 2016, 11:30:31 AM »
What in the what?  I'm going pretty balls-to-the-walls with putting together a new desktop PC (that she actually needs for her work) for my GF after Kaby Lake and Z270 drop in January, and it'll wind up being like $2500 at the absolutely most...

It's a gaming computer so it needs to be super-duper.  He did the same thing 2-3 years ago - time for an upgrade!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16088 on: December 07, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »

It's a gaming computer so it needs to be super-duper.  He did the same thing 2-3 years ago - time for an upgrade!

Isn't the benefit of building a desktop computer that you can easily upgrade the parts in it, rather than needing to start from scratch?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16089 on: December 07, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »
And a lot of the expense is monitors, which should still be good.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16090 on: December 07, 2016, 12:10:53 PM »

Isn't the benefit of building a desktop computer that you can easily upgrade the parts in it, rather than needing to start from scratch?
Here I was, feeling guilty about spending almost $1k on my gaming desktop.  I guess some people just need to view every game out in the highest setting possible, where I don't mind playing in the lowest setting.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16091 on: December 07, 2016, 12:13:06 PM »

Most people are reasonable, but there's this one guy ... he's building one kid adult child a $5K desktop computer, and the other is getting a karaoke machine.  He's buying himself a VR headset and some software to go with it.  His wife is getting an iPad with accessories. 

I just dropped thirty large on my  husband for new bike lights that go on your spokes.  We bike in the dark 2x a week.  (That's obv 30 bucks)

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16092 on: December 07, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »
I am waiting for the Zen. Using it for the gaming machine (already got an RX470, more then fast enough for me). And for donating computing power to BOINC. Thats my rationalisation for the splurge ^^ Wont get more expensive then 1000 all together I hope.

I have seen someone using several older blade servers as a heating. He has to heat with electricity anyway, so he figured he could use the things his firm no longer needs to heat the room and make some money out of it through Cryptocurrencies.

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16093 on: December 07, 2016, 12:18:40 PM »
The other night I had a dream about how a coworker did something ridiculous and I was excited because it meant that I could finally share something on this thread. Then I woke up and realized it was all a dream. I work for a government contractor and apparently all of us nerdy engineers are reasonable with our money, so no crazy stories.

I'm living vicariously through you guys; don't let me down!
"It'll be great!"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16094 on: December 07, 2016, 12:26:09 PM »
The other night I had a dream about how a coworker did something ridiculous and I was excited because it meant that I could finally share something on this thread.

That is excellent.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16095 on: December 07, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »

I just dropped thirty large on my  husband for new bike lights that go on your spokes.  We bike in the dark 2x a week.  (That's obv 30 bucks)

Haha. I love the frame of reference.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16096 on: December 07, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »

Ugh, throw a closer-to-top-of-the-line graphics card in what I have penciled out, and it's a "super-duper gaming computer" too.  But 99% isn't good enough for some people...

And what I'll be "repealing and replacing" is six years old, with a few upgrades along the way (and for anyone that's not a gamer or photo/video professional still way more muscle than is necessary).

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16097 on: December 07, 2016, 01:29:02 PM »
I have a follow up to a much earlier post of mine on how people refuse to drink the free coffee provided at work. Some people just prefer paying for starbucks or other brand instead of green mountain I guess.

The building where I work has a Tim Hortons in the lobby. With apologies to my Canadian friends, the coffee at Tim Hortons is hot garbage. And yet every morning there's still a line fifteen or twenty people deep of employees who all have free coffee available in their offices. I don't get it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16098 on: December 07, 2016, 03:55:15 PM »

I open and close my windows so often (ok once per day) that I start to worry about wear and tear.  How much will opening and closing my windows every day decrease the life of my windows vs. always closed?  10 years vs 20?

kayvent

• Bristles
« Reply #16099 on: December 07, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »

That's what we say to justify the purchase and the extra bells and whistles ("it's to make it future proof, I swear."). I follow tech influencers and I work as a software developer around people who have built PCs (myself included) but very rarely do I hear of someone actually upgrading their PC. Often it is a completely new system. Even a new monitor isn't unheard of.

This isn't to say that upgrades don't happen but that it is rare given the rhetoric. I've personally upgraded a custom PC twice; adding SSDs and a new GPU. As comparison, my raw amount on pre-built systems is higher. I upgraded my mid-2011 Mac Mini twice to give it extra ram and a ssd. My fabulous Dell Desktop XPS 8910, a  beautiful, compact, pristine computer, was upgraded with an SSD and GPU.

I have moved to suggesting pre-built systems instead of custom built ones; at least in Canada and the UK they aren't much more expensive and are worth the small premium because of the added support if a component is DOA. And as I've found, many pre-built systems are surprisingly upgradable when a future need arises.

(Full disclosure: I work for a subsidiary of Dell Technologies)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:55:54 PM by kayvent »