Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4957620 times)

tracipam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #1600 on: January 25, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »
My work switched the company that manages our 401K plans.  The new company held a series of seminars to educate us about their 401K (theoretically).  As their opening slide, they posted the number 43,800 and asked us what we thought it was.  Of course nobody guessed.  They triumphantly announced that it was the number of meals a couple would eat during 20 years of retirement and then pointed out dramatically that if the couple *ONLY* spent $5 PER PERSON PER MEAL, they would have to have save >$200,000 just for MEALS! Egads! The horrors!  LOOK AT HOW EXPENSIVE RETIREMENT IS!! AHHHH!!! 

Two of the people sitting next to me work in the financial management department--you know, the one that deals with charging people money, projecting revenues, looking at timelines, that sort of thing.  Many of them have MBAs and degrees in finance and business management stuff. 

I rolled my eyes and made some joking comment to them about the dreaded $5 scenario was and made a sarcastic retort about the 401K company's scare tactic.  Meanwhile, I back-caculated that their estimate would result in this hypothetical couple spending something above $10,000 per year just in food costs, which comes to about half my annual spending (although I didn't say that last part out loud). 

MBA-type #1 looked at me with wide eyes and said earnestly, 'But sometimes you spend a lot MORE than $5 per meal!  Wow!  That's a lot of money!' 

Later, the MBA-type #2 approached the finance people to ask about investing in the 401K.  Which, if this made them think about getting their finances in order, I guess... good.  But do I want these people in charge of the financial management of my company?  Eek! 

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1601 on: January 25, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »
...buying comfortable quality for where you will spend 1/3 to 1/4 of your life...

This always comes across to me as very effective marketing and justification for spending lots and lots on putting something between you and the ground.

It isn't.  Getting a great night sleep is a big deal.  I've tried various mattresses and still haven't found one that works as well as our sleep number did when we first got it.  I can't say anything about it now since most of my nights over the last 5 years have been interrupted by kids or dog :)

When we first got it, my wife and I had settings that were completely different and we both woke up better.  We weren't able to cuddle much though -- the difference in the sides caused a cliff between them to form (i like mine much harder than she likes her side).

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #1602 on: January 26, 2014, 11:59:26 AM »
(i like mine much harder than she likes her side).

That's what she said.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #1603 on: January 26, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »
...buying comfortable quality for where you will spend 1/3 to 1/4 of your life...

This always comes across to me as very effective marketing and justification for spending lots and lots on putting something between you and the ground.

Hmmmm.....slept in a tent on a 1/2" thick foam pad for 5+ months.  After the first couple weeks of getting used to it, it was the best sleep of my life....except for the one night when the stupid deer were stomping around outside the tent all flipping night long.  YMMV of course.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1604 on: January 26, 2014, 07:54:41 PM »
(i like mine much harder than she likes her side).

That's what she said.

I re-wrote that part about 5 times… nothing got away from expecting that response :)

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1605 on: January 27, 2014, 07:00:46 AM »
When we first got it, my wife and I had settings that were completely different and we both woke up better.  We weren't able to cuddle much though -- the difference in the sides caused a cliff between them to form (i like mine much harder than she likes her side).

My wife and I have twin beds pushed together. I think she does backflips in her sleep, but now it doesn't wake me up compared to the old shitty queen mattress we had. Saved us a couple grand compared to what we were expecting to pay.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1606 on: January 27, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »
We get paid monthly and payroll has a timeframe of anywhere from the first and the fith to get our money to us. Mildly inconvenient but not impossible to work around. EVERY single month I have co workers flipping out because they are out of money and they have bills that are due or worse passed due. This blows my mind! I've tried to help with words of advice and all I get is abunch of excuses like. Easy for you to say you don't have a car payment do. I tell them that's an easy problem to fix and I get but we need something reliable we have kids. I understand their finances are probably a little more complicated but I just wait to get the direct deposit email from my bank and then log in and send my money to where it all needs to go CC, house payment, and other goals. The rest sits in the account to cover the utilities that auto draft throughout the month. This whole process takes 10 minutes of my life every month lol. I'm ok with that
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life Off Route
« Reply #1607 on: January 27, 2014, 10:51:31 AM »
As someone who once had a car payment I don't see how that's an excuse. It's all about living within one's means. I used to keep an extra $1000-1500 sitting in the checking account as a floor that I would never plan on spending, just in case I overspent or didn't get paid on time or something. It may not be the most optimal life arrangement, but it's extremely easy to do and better than having your hair on fire once per month! In the 3 or 4 years I had that loan I never had a financial problem.

(BTW people telling me my advice is inapplicable because I don't have a house/kid/fancy car in my life is a big pet peeve of mine, so it's nice that I can actually speak from experience on one of these!)
A Mustachian climber and part-time vandweller: http://lifeoffroute.com

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1608 on: January 27, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »
That's why I now just surf the web on my phone and let the excuses and complaints go on in the back ground. I also have had debt to repay before and it never seemed to be much of an issue. I just had less money to put to other goals. I have been pretty lucky so far in not having to worry to much about not having enough. I don't think I would like the stress of not knowing if I was going to be able to pay everything in a given month.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1609 on: January 27, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
Receptionist at work talking about when they bought their bed:

"We finally found one we could both agree on except he wanted a queen and I wanted a California king. He won and we got the queen and he got cheapest mattress they had. I went back the next day and said "Give me a California king and change the mattress to a TempurPedic. Ended up costing about $1500 more. When it came he asked if it was bigger that what we ordered, I told him it just looked that way since our room is small. I knew he'd want to kill me when he saw the bank statement but it's a nice bed!"

I don't know what they actually paid for the bed, it might very well have been reasonable but the fact she did it behind his back and waited for him to see the bank statements to find out is ridiculous. I'd be having pretty harsh words with DH if he tried anything like that

At least she's willing to spend the money on the mattress.  My co-worker got a really expensive/nice bedroom set and got the mattress from big lots.  I'd have done the opposite since you actually sleep on the damn mattress!
I blog on items flipped for a profit on eBay:
Flipping A Dollar

I made 6.5k in profits in 2015!

Maigahane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1610 on: January 27, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »

"We finally found one we could both agree on except he wanted a queen and I wanted a California king. He won and we got the queen and he got cheapest mattress they had. I went back the next day and said "Give me a California king and change the mattress to a TempurPedic. Ended up costing about $1500 more. When it came he asked if it was bigger that what we ordered, I told him it just looked that way since our room is small. I knew he'd want to kill me when he saw the bank statement but it's a nice bed!"

I don't know what they actually paid for the bed, it might very well have been reasonable but the fact she did it behind his back and waited for him to see the bank statements to find out is ridiculous. I'd be having pretty harsh words with DH if he tried anything like that

At least she's willing to spend the money on the mattress.  My co-worker got a really expensive/nice bedroom set and got the mattress from big lots.  I'd have done the opposite since you actually sleep on the damn mattress!
I agree, the money may have been worth it, but going behind her husband's back to the tune of an additional $1500 over what he agreed on on it was the issue.
We've been putting off buying a badly needed matress for a couple of years because we know we'll want to spend more than we're ready to right now to get what we want

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1611 on: January 27, 2014, 03:32:50 PM »
Funny thing happened just a few minutes ago. We where headed back to the shop and I told my co worker I had to stop at the auto parts store and by some antifreeze for my personal vehicle. While I was picking up the jug he told me that I was getting the wrong one. I asked why? He said well if you by that one you have to mix it yourself. Why not just by the pre mixed? I quickly explained the genuis marketing strategy that was used to make you buy 50% water for the same price as the concentrated version where you get twice enough. He still said that it was easier to just get the pre mixed coolant lol o well had to try

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1612 on: January 27, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
I used to work at a an (un)advanced auto parts store and couldn't understand why people would buy 50/50 antifreze! 

It's like the Hershey's Air Delight bar...you're literally paying for air.

Or Gatorade G2...it's regular gatorade cut with water, for the same price!

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • This night has silence and very little fear
    • The MMM Blogger Community
« Reply #1613 on: January 27, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »
G2 is different. They load that shit with Sucralose.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1614 on: January 27, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
G2 is different. They load that shit with Sucralose.

Haha yes but http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1615 on: January 27, 2014, 05:13:18 PM »
Funny thing happened just a few minutes ago. We where headed back to the shop and I told my co worker I had to stop at the auto parts store and by some antifreeze for my personal vehicle. While I was picking up the jug he told me that I was getting the wrong one. I asked why? He said well if you by that one you have to mix it yourself. Why not just by the pre mixed? I quickly explained the genuis marketing strategy that was used to make you buy 50% water for the same price as the concentrated version where you get twice enough. He still said that it was easier to just get the pre mixed coolant lol o well had to try

Is it really the same price, and do they sell distilled water in the same store?  I think I bought coolant a grand total of once, and it was worth it to get the pre-mixed at the time.

By the way, would it be bad to have 100% coolant, 0% water?

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1616 on: January 27, 2014, 05:55:55 PM »

I don't think it was the same price but I know it wasn't twice the price. Your probably supposed to use distilled water but ive used tap water every time and never had any issues.
Found this while trying to collect my thoughts on the 100% coolant.
It is not recommended to use 100%, but anywhere between a 50/50 mix and a 30/70 (30 being water, 70 being the antifreeze) mix is good.  if you live in the south, 50/50 is the most you would want, but if you live in the north, 30/70 is a good idea.  most people answering have been saying that pure antifreeze will freeze sooner than 50/50, but in fact, it has by far the most protection from freezing, if that were all you cared about, then that would be great!  What you need the water for is to move the heat around, ethylene glycol (the main part of most antifreeze) is a very poor conductor of heat.  also, the reaction that at least one answer talks about is for the boiling point, not the freezing point.  the peak freezing point, as i said earlier is with 100% antifreeze, however the peak boiling point is with 67% antifreeze.  the final reason for the mix is corrosion, and the best mix to prevent corrosion is generally with a 50/50 mix.
As most have said, i would recommend that you get the right mix in, but it is not the end of the world if you can't fix it, just use the right mix next time.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1617 on: January 27, 2014, 06:11:02 PM »
^ What he said.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1618 on: January 28, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
I agree, the money may have been worth it, but going behind her husband's back to the tune of an additional $1500 over what he agreed on on it was the issue.

We expect an update when the fallout comes, yes?

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1619 on: January 29, 2014, 12:08:23 AM »
 . . .  I knew he'd want to kill me when he saw the bank statement but it's a nice bed!"

Proposed response to receptionist:  "Well, perhaps he will let you have the bed as part of your divorce settlement!" 

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1620 on: January 29, 2014, 06:16:19 AM »
 . . .  I knew he'd want to kill me when he saw the bank statement but it's a nice bed!"

Proposed response to receptionist:  "Well, perhaps he will let you have the bed as part of your divorce settlement!"

Classic!

Ottawa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1621 on: January 29, 2014, 06:44:26 AM »
This couple can't get by on 4 million in assets.  WOW

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/01/29/even-with-a-net-worth-of-4-million-retirement-at-50-is-a-struggle/

Oops...wrong place!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:52:54 AM by Ottawa »
Signing up for Tangerine Bank?  Let's both earn some cash!  Here is my Tangerine Key: 43684467S1  Cheers.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1622 on: January 29, 2014, 06:48:46 AM »

I don't think it was the same price but I know it wasn't twice the price. Your probably supposed to use distilled water but ive used tap water every time and never had any issues.
Found this while trying to collect my thoughts on the 100% coolant.
It is not recommended to use 100%, but anywhere between a 50/50 mix and a 30/70 (30 being water, 70 being the antifreeze) mix is good.  if you live in the south, 50/50 is the most you would want, but if you live in the north, 30/70 is a good idea.  most people answering have been saying that pure antifreeze will freeze sooner than 50/50, but in fact, it has by far the most protection from freezing, if that were all you cared about, then that would be great!  What you need the water for is to move the heat around, ethylene glycol (the main part of most antifreeze) is a very poor conductor of heat.  also, the reaction that at least one answer talks about is for the boiling point, not the freezing point.  the peak freezing point, as i said earlier is with 100% antifreeze, however the peak boiling point is with 67% antifreeze.  the final reason for the mix is corrosion, and the best mix to prevent corrosion is generally with a 50/50 mix.
As most have said, i would recommend that you get the right mix in, but it is not the end of the world if you can't fix it, just use the right mix next time.

If you live very north, the mix of antifreeze doesn't matter.  At -40 any mixture will freeze solid.  You have get a block heater and plug your car in so that it'll start the next morning.

. . . ah, memories of my childhood up north . . .

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1623 on: January 29, 2014, 06:56:05 AM »
Ive had a friend go work in Fairbanks before. I remember her commenting on that. We only have to plug Diesel engines in down here and even that isn't all winter. -40 you can keep that noise I'd much rather be in 100+ with high humidity!!

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #1624 on: January 29, 2014, 07:16:56 AM »
If you live very north, the mix of antifreeze doesn't matter.  At -40 any mixture will freeze solid.  You have get a block heater and plug your car in so that it'll start the next morning.
I'm going to have to call BS on this. I've started a number of vehicles which were cold soaked around -40 (good ole prairies), and never had the coolant freeze solid. If your coolant is fresh, as in you change it every few years because it does degrade with time, a 70/30 mixture of ethelyne glycol to water should be good down to around -51 C. It should be noted that pure ethelyne glycol has a freezing point of -12 C though.

Since this is an overheard at work thread though, one of my co-workers told me they pay about $10-20 for overdraft fees pretty much every month, since every month they end up dipping into their bank accounts just a little past empty.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:21:00 AM by Posthumane »

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1625 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:21 AM »
Bonuses are announced today.  A woman in my row said she hopes it is big because she needs the money to pay for her Disney vacation.

This is the same woman who told me how expensive it is to have kids and she didn't have enough money.  Yet she drives a $1/mile new SUV into work, 45 miles each way, each day.  That's $21,150 spent each year, just driving to and from work.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #1626 on: January 29, 2014, 07:27:26 AM »
I'm going to have to call BS on this. I've started a number of vehicles which were cold soaked around -40 (good ole prairies), and never had the coolant freeze solid.

Maybe he meant -40F. 

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1627 on: January 29, 2014, 07:29:37 AM »
I'm going to have to call BS on this. I've started a number of vehicles which were cold soaked around -40 (good ole prairies), and never had the coolant freeze solid.
Maybe he meant -40F.

Are you joking?  -40 is where C vs. F doesn't matter
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1628 on: January 29, 2014, 08:03:23 AM »
Pretty much every thing negative is bad. Wait pretty much anything below +40 is bad.

My co workers right now are talking about car payments. One guy says that he plans to only have one car payment at a time. (2 car family) so once one is paid for they trade the older paid one off for a new one and just repeat the cycle everytime one car gets paid off. (Hope I explained it well enough)

Maigahane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1629 on: January 29, 2014, 08:07:26 AM »
We expect an update when the fallout comes, yes?
I only work with her during tax season and I got the impression this happened sometime last year so I'm sure the fallout already happened and she left that part out of the story

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #1630 on: January 29, 2014, 09:01:48 AM »
[Are you joking?  -40 is where C vs. F doesn't matter

Looks like I need to work on my delivery.   

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1631 on: January 29, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
I only work with her during tax season and I got the impression this happened sometime last year so I'm sure the fallout already happened and she left that part out of the story
[/quote]

Aw, too bad.

I have three mild ones.

1. A freelancer at work was complaining that checking accounts used to be free and the $1500 minimum balance to avoid fees was too high.  I mentioned that Ally and a lot of other online free ones will cover your first $6-worth of atm fees.  She said there was no way she could use an atm that few number of times even if she took a big chunk of cash out each time.  To be fair, she works over a large area so it is probably more difficult to keep herself fed without trips to the deli.  And she's working her passion and building it into a career, so the low bank account balance  is understandable.  And her solution is to find a credit union that will give her a better deal.  But I still found the idea that you would need to go to an atm so often befuddling.

2. A co-worker had made tacos the night before and was complaining about how expensive it was.  It's not the first time she's complained about how cooking is almost as expensive as eating out.  She's a good cook and isn't making lobster every night or anything.  I'm actually not sure how to easily get across the right strategies, like planning for the week so you can use up all of the ingredients or basing the menu on sales.

3.  The spouse has a reimbursement check from work for $40 that he just found.  It's from over a year ago.  He's like, 'Eh.  I'm not going to bother with this.'  I just... I just don't get it.

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1632 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:34 AM »
This actual sounds about right. He buys the first car with an 84 month loan and then by the time the second car is paid off it is 14 years old with 200k miles on it. And I really wish I was joking about 84 month car loans.:)

Personal I find it fascinating the people that buy cars as soon as they pay off the note. Do they really feel those 4-5 year old cars are about to become a money pit or are they just used to having a payment?

Pretty much every thing negative is bad. Wait pretty much anything below +40 is bad.

My co workers right now are talking about car payments. One guy says that he plans to only have one car payment at a time. (2 car family) so once one is paid for they trade the older paid one off for a new one and just repeat the cycle everytime one car gets paid off. (Hope I explained it well enough)

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1633 on: January 29, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
I'm going to have to call BS on this. I've started a number of vehicles which were cold soaked around -40 (good ole prairies), and never had the coolant freeze solid. If your coolant is fresh, as in you change it every few years because it does degrade with time, a 70/30 mixture of ethelyne glycol to water should be good down to around -51 C. It should be noted that pure ethelyne glycol has a freezing point of -12 C though.

Huh.  My dad always told me the block heater was needed because the anti-freeze would freeze.  Nearly everyone in Northern Ontario had/used block heaters when it would get really cold.  Our mall and parking lot outside the grocery store had outlets so you could plug them in.  What's the block heater for then?  Our '81 Ford Zephyr would not start unless plugged in.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:39:30 AM by GuitarStv »

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #1634 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »

Huh.  My dad always told me the block heater was needed because the anti-freeze would freeze.  Nearly everyone in Northern Ontario had/used block heaters when it would get really cold.  Our mall and parking lot outside the grocery store had outlets so you could plug them in.  What's the block heater for then?  Our '81 Ford Zephyr would not start unless plugged in.

I thought the block heater was to heat the block, making it easier for the engine to start. I can't imagine a block heater melting ice that is in your coolant.
I am working hard to move towards Financial Independence.

frugledoc

• Bristles
« Reply #1635 on: January 29, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »
Today at work

CW:   I'm going out for half an hour to the petrol station to get fuel for the car
Me: oh, is there a deal on or something?
CW: no, just been waiting for pay day today so I can afford it

CW has a 21 year old daughter at home who owns a horse, for fun, that costs 600 dollars a month.
Also just bought a puppy recently.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life Off Route
« Reply #1636 on: January 29, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »
I was about to post my own "well I thought it was..." then thought better of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater
A block heater warms an engine to increase the chances that the engine will start as well as warm up the vehicle faster than it normally would in extremely cold weather.
I've also heard there are battery heaters and other things used in the far north for different temperature-related reasons.
A Mustachian climber and part-time vandweller: http://lifeoffroute.com

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1637 on: January 29, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »
This is exactly what they do!! 84 months and never stop making payment ever!! I tried to explain how to set up a sinking fund for car replacement (I doubt they will ever get away from new cars). He said it was to hard not to dip into it. I told him to pay me then and I would hold onto it for him lol. I mean if somebody is going to make intrest of you I might as well right.

This actual sounds about right. He buys the first car with an 84 month loan and then by the time the second car is paid off it is 14 years old with 200k miles on it. And I really wish I was joking about 84 month car loans.:)

Personal I find it fascinating the people that buy cars as soon as they pay off the note. Do they really feel those 4-5 year old cars are about to become a money pit or are they just used to having a payment?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1638 on: January 29, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm gonna offer up one of those rare positive "overheard at work" moments... not so much overheard, but last week I went out to dinner with a group of coworkers, all early to mid 20s. conversation drifted to another one of our coworkers in his early 20s who had recently bought a $250k house (that is A LOT for Tulsa. I could find a house here that's perfect for me but needs cosmetic work for $100k), and he based his calculation for how much he was willing to spend on the fact that he and his girlfriend have a roommate, another friend of his. does he think this person is going to live with them for the duration of the mortgage?!? (obviously kidding because this is not possible) is he just planning on finding a craigslist roommate when the friend inevitably moves out? I would hate to be forced to do that!

plus, although our company is reasonably stable our industry is pretty cyclical and we all agreed we would HATE to be tied to something like that, lest we lose our jobs.

it was just super refreshing and awesome to realize we were all generally on the same page :)

Wanderer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1639 on: January 29, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »
he based his calculation for how much he was willing to spend on the fact that he and his girlfriend have a roommate, another friend of his. does he think this person is going to live with them for the duration of the mortgage?!?

Menage a trois?  ;) 

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1640 on: January 29, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »

Anything colder than -20F and my CRV won't start. Lot of resistance in a cold engine, along with a battery that isn't fully capable at those temps.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1641 on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
My coworker is leaving and commented that she will move her 403(b) into her checking account and use it to move in with her boyfriend...

:-(

She also mentioned that the boyfriend got a loan from his 401k to buy a 600 dollar truck that broke down in the first week.

:-(

Freeme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1642 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:56 PM »
My co-worker told me today she has a budget of $40 per month for the plug in air freshoners because she likes her house to smell fresh. I told her I do too but just open the windows and she should try that.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1643 on: January 30, 2014, 05:01:39 AM »
My co-worker told me today she has a budget of $40 per month for the plug in air freshoners because she likes her house to smell fresh. I told her I do too but just open the windows and she should try that.

Breathing those chemicals all day can't be good for you. Also, how many rich people use plug in air fresheners?

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1644 on: January 30, 2014, 06:24:48 AM »
At lunch a coworker with a 3 month old baby complained
- clothing for babies is cheap and doesn't last
- clothing for babies at (mall store) is way too expensive
- he is starting to stack up tubs in the basement for the potential next kid of things that have only been worn 2-3 times (if that)
- passing baby clothing across friends & family is gross
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #1645 on: January 30, 2014, 08:09:24 AM »

Anything colder than -20F and my CRV won't start. Lot of resistance in a cold engine, along with a battery that isn't fully capable at those temps.
I do tend to plug my car in when it gets below -25 C. The block heater cable on my GF's car cracked and it won't start below about -30 C, though mine still does around that temperature without being plugged in. It rarely gets below -30 C where I live, but working in more northern areas brings colder temps quite often. Many vehicles won't start at -40, but that's not because of coolant freezing. The oil is very thick at that temperature so the resistance to cranking is very high, battery isn't able to put out as much current when cold, fuel atomization is poor at that temperature, etc. Electric block heaters are on almost every vehicle around here for that reason, battery heaters are somewhat common, and you can also get stick on oil pan heaters. Most of our military vehicles have fuel fired coolant heaters, which perform a similar function to a block heater without having to be plugged in.

If your coolant actually freezes solid in your block though (which does happen sometimes due to weak antifreeze) it can result in very bad things - freeze plugs blowing out from the block (that's what they are for), occasionally a cracked block or head if the freeze plugs don't do the trick, cracked radiator, and so on. Also, if you tried to crank an engine with a frozen block you would probably destroy the water pump.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:11:21 AM by Posthumane »

toodleoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1646 on: January 30, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
We had a retirement party today for a VP at our company. He stood up and made some remarks at the end. He especially wanted to thank his wife for being the reason that their kids turned out so great, "since I was basically an absent father because I was working so much".

Just so sad that we value the money over our families.
My side hustle. Grand total so far: $1,121.75! http://www.instagc.com/681614

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1647 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »
We had a retirement party today for a VP at our company. He stood up and made some remarks at the end. He especially wanted to thank his wife for being the reason that their kids turned out so great, "since I was basically an absent father because I was working so much".

I remember this happening during a meeting that happened by chance. Someone asked a high level exec what his biggest regret was (which I think they were talking about business specific) and he said along the lines of "well sometime I wish I would have taken some more time with the family." He was mid 60's, making in the $1M+/year range and still working 80 hour weeks, just didn't know how to stop himself.

MsSindy

• Bristles
« Reply #1648 on: January 31, 2014, 07:25:35 AM »

I remember this happening during a meeting that happened by chance. Someone asked a high level exec what his biggest regret was (which I think they were talking about business specific) and he said along the lines of "well sometime I wish I would have taken some more time with the family." He was mid 60's, making in the $1M+/year range and still working 80 hour weeks, just didn't know how to stop himself.

I worked for one of the big consulting firms, and the Partners use to throw parties and invite many of the new analysts/consultants... partly to network and partly to show, "you too can have all this one day".  I can remember being in the basement at one of those parties that was all tricked out with pinball machines, dart games, and a pool table.  The Partner's 7 year old kid was playing pool with us and one of the analysts was trying to make small talk and said to the kid he must have a lot of fun down here with his dad.  The son's reply, "No, my dad's never home to play".  Total silence in the room.  It's something that certainly made an impression on me....as well as the others, I suspect.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1649 on: January 31, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
Had our head accounting guy come down to train us on our new time entering software. It was a pretty good meeting until he explained the hyperlinks at the bottom of the page where you can get various forms. One form was to take a loan out on your 401k. I was just getting ready to tune myself out of the meeting at this point. Then he said something that blew my mind. He said "I know having the ability to access your 401k money through a loan is a nice feature to have but I would highly recommend you have no more than 3-4 loans out at any given time." I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this.