Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252697 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #15750 on: November 21, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »
So, what is your point, exactly, kayvent?

I was just surprised. I went to three random colleagues and they all had gotten slow cookers as wedding gifts. It seemed kinda bizarre that they all had such similar wedding gifts. It is [like if you walk into a store and you see everyone wearing a blue shirt and khaki pants](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUIbPfhSuo). You'd suspect something was up if you didn't know better. Apparently I didn't. :)

A few nights ago when I told RL friends this story they looked at me dumbfounded. The wife of the couple looked at me and asked if I knew what a bridal registry was. She explained it to me and explained that it is quite common to have lavish items on it. Like 1500$ slow cookers or a plate set for 20$/plate.

<sarcasm>Now I know why some people choose to get married multiple times.</sarcasm>

I guess I can see the confusion, but yes typically people will register all the "regular kitchen stuff' for wedding gifts, and most people would want those items.  So I guess the antimustachian part is asking for all of those things? 

I don't personally have a slow cooker or food processor because I use a pressure cooker and don't make anything requiring a food processor.  Is there anything that actually requires a food processor?
Depends on what I'm making - I use it to:
1. shred zucchini for zucchini fritters
2. shred cheese, if I'm making something with a lot of cheese
3. chop onions and peppers for chili
4. chop canned tomatoes for anything (don't like chunks)
5. make hummus
6. make falafel
7. make pesto
8. shred cabbage and carrots for coleslaw

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15751 on: November 21, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
The other day at work:

I: "You have a slow cooker, food processor, and blender, right?"
CW1: "Yes"
I: "Were they wedding gifts?"
CW1: "The blender and slow cooker, yes."
A few moments later CW2 arrives. I ask "CW2, I know you have a blender from a birth?ay gift but do you have another blender, food processor, and slow cooker."
CW2: "Yes and I also have two slow cookers. The blender and food processor were wedding gifts."

A day later, I ask CW3 "Do you own a food processor, blender, and/or slow cooker?"
CW3: "sounds like a loaded question, but here goes..... yes I have a blender and slow cooker... why?"
CW3: "The slow cooker was. where is this leading to? [sic]"
I: "Thanks for the answers CW3. That is all."

Ok, I didn't follow this at all.  What's the unmustachian part?

Everyone appears to get expensive household appliances for wedding gifts. No included but expected is that most of these devices are unused.
I'm with Kayvent, its weird. Just because you get a duplicate appliance as a gift doesn't make you required to store it. For most adults if you've been surviving with only a single blender for years why do you suddenly need 2? Just because its a gift? 

I got married and received many useless appliances. The next week they were converted into cash by returning them to the stores.The mustachian purpose of a gift registry is that everyone buys the stuff from one store, it makes returns easier. Go right ahead and ask for $100 plates, it'll be back in cash next week and lets people who think giving cash is tacky the opportunity to give you a small valuable object.

To all the random anecdotal excuses; why didn't you just return the excess stuff you received as gifts?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15752 on: November 21, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »
The other day at work:

A few moments later CW2 arrives. I ask "CW2, I know you have a blender from a birth?ay gift but do you have another blender, food processor, and slow cooker."
CW2: "Yes and I also have two slow cookers. The blender and food processor were wedding gifts."

A day later, I ask CW3 "Do you own a food processor, blender, and/or slow cooker?"
CW3: "sounds like a loaded question, but here goes..... yes I have a blender and slow cooker... why?"

Everyone appears to get expensive household appliances for wedding gifts. No included but expected is that most of these devices are unused.
I'm with Kayvent, its weird. Just because you get a duplicate appliance as a gift doesn't make you required to store it. For most adults if you've been surviving with only a single blender for years why do you suddenly need 2? Just because its a gift? 

I got married and received many useless appliances. The next week they were converted into cash by returning them to the stores.The mustachian purpose of a gift registry is that everyone buys the stuff from one store, it makes returns easier. Go right ahead and ask for $100 plates, it'll be back in cash next week and lets people who think giving cash is tacky the opportunity to give you a small valuable object.

To all the random anecdotal excuses; why didn't you just return the excess stuff you received as gifts?

I have a couple blenders because both my wife and I each had one when we got married.  Neither could be returned after years of use, and I'm sure one will soon break.  If I was actually running out of space,  I'd consider selling one, but we actually have plenty of space.  We are also storing an extra coffee maker that we got as a gift because it was nonreturnable.  Maybe we will regift it or use it some day if our main coffeemaker breaks.  I don't know if any of that is particularly antimustachian.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15753 on: November 21, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »
Then we have a normal sized one, got for our wedding or first Christmas or something.  It was probably ~$60.  Then a couple years ago, my mom got my wife another one that is wifi enabled, so you can turn it on and off remotely.  Sounds extravagant, but is great for cooking things that only go for 6 hours (set an alarm on the phone for, say, noon, and then switch on the crock pot when the alarm goes off, meal is ready when you get home).  There are plenty of Sundays when we have two crocks going simultaneously cooking food for the week.
Why not use a timer? They turn on and off, you can buy them for $3.97 from home depot and any appliance can plug in. Your old crock pot just needed the $4 upgrade to the wifi free model; its so advanced it can do it without the user alarm.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Dimmers-Switches-Outlets-Timers/N-5yc1vZc334

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15754 on: November 21, 2016, 02:47:08 PM »
Then we have a normal sized one, got for our wedding or first Christmas or something.  It was probably ~$60.  Then a couple years ago, my mom got my wife another one that is wifi enabled, so you can turn it on and off remotely.  Sounds extravagant, but is great for cooking things that only go for 6 hours (set an alarm on the phone for, say, noon, and then switch on the crock pot when the alarm goes off, meal is ready when you get home).  There are plenty of Sundays when we have two crocks going simultaneously cooking food for the week.
Why not use a timer? They turn on and off, you can buy them for $3.97 from home depot and any appliance can plug in. Your old crock pot just needed the $4 upgrade to the wifi free model; its so advanced it can do it without the user alarm.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Dimmers-Switches-Outlets-Timers/N-5yc1vZc334

Cuz my mom wanted to buy my wife a wifi crock pot one Christmas.  I dunno. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15755 on: November 21, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »

Correction, the mustachian purpose of a registry is that people get you things you actually want and can use, and you don't get three blenders, if you only want one.  SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANY RETURNS.  It is especially nice and easy way for group gifts that form a set.

If you don't want an item, don't put it on your registry just to get money to return it.... that is just gross, and takes advantage of your friends.   Why not just have no registry, then and ask for no gifts.......  or be all tacky and direct and ask for friends to give you money straight up (if it is not 'understood / typical' in your culture) and those that want to get you a gift will do so anyway.

If you are going to be tacky about it, but truthful, why not ask for money straight up and IN ADVANCE -- so you can pay your deposits on the venue?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15756 on: November 21, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »

Because I can't control it from my phone. I can have it turn on, or off, and maybe on AND off, but I can't turn it up or down. I can't decide to have it turn on later (or not at all) if something comes up and my plans are shot. And that has happened to me before--we had it on a timer, car breaks down, call the landlord to go and turn off the crock pot so it doesn't burn up. What if she wasn't home? I'd have been getting a pretty expensive cab or uber to get there to turn the damn thing off.

My brother has a wifi-able smoker. That is the real trick setup. Brisket is going outside, alarm sounds at 4AM, he checks his phone to check the temperature of the meat and adjusts the smoker, all from the warmth of his bed. Sure, the non-wifi one was cheaper, but his sleep is worth more.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15757 on: November 21, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »

Chris, whatever you have is fine. I'm just pointing out that there's cheaper/easier options. If you think your life needs a wifi crockpot then that's great. I'm not sure what the point of your original post was, are you saying we all need wifi crock pots?

In the wall of shame its kind of a given that saying you have an unusually expensive item that does the same as a cheaper item is comedic. I thought a wifi timer on a crockpot is funny since people have had them for decades.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15758 on: November 21, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »

Chris, whatever you have is fine. I'm just pointing out that there's cheaper/easier options. If you think your life needs a wifi crockpot then that's great. I'm not sure what the point of your original post was, are you saying we all need wifi crock pots?

In the wall of shame its kind of a given that saying you have an unusually expensive item that does the same as a cheaper item is comedic. I thought a wifi timer on a crockpot is funny since people have had them for decades.

The point of it was that someone was ridiculing these slow cookers and I mentioned how we have 4, all with different uses, and we use all of them frequently.  And we use them to SAVE money, because a slow cooker means a hot meal is ready when you get home, instead of getting takeout or going out to eat.  Use it 5 times and it's paid for itself. 

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15759 on: November 21, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
So, what is your point, exactly, kayvent?

I was just surprised. I went to three random colleagues and they all had gotten slow cookers as wedding gifts. It seemed kinda bizarre that they all had such similar wedding gifts. It is [like if you walk into a store and you see everyone wearing a blue shirt and khaki pants](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUIbPfhSuo). You'd suspect something was up if you didn't know better. Apparently I didn't. :)

A few nights ago when I told RL friends this story they looked at me dumbfounded. The wife of the couple looked at me and asked if I knew what a bridal registry was. She explained it to me and explained that it is quite common to have lavish items on it. Like 1500$ slow cookers or a plate set for 20$/plate.

<sarcasm>Now I know why some people choose to get married multiple times.</sarcasm>

I guess I can see the confusion, but yes typically people will register all the "regular kitchen stuff' for wedding gifts, and most people would want those items.  So I guess the antimustachian part is asking for all of those things? 

I don't personally have a slow cooker or food processor because I use a pressure cooker and don't make anything requiring a food processor.  Is there anything that actually requires a food processor?
Depends on what I'm making - I use it to:
1. shred zucchini for zucchini fritters
2. shred cheese, if I'm making something with a lot of cheese
3. chop onions and peppers for chili
4. chop canned tomatoes for anything (don't like chunks)
5. make hummus
6. make falafel
7. make pesto
8. shred cabbage and carrots for coleslaw

In addition to all the other things that get made in/because of food processors, I will add this: home-pressed apple cider. My parents have an apple tree, there are lots of apple trees in communal areas here, and we have neighbors who couldn't eat/preserve all of their apples. That led to a LOT of free apples for us. In addition to the massive amounts of applesauce and apple pie we made, we pressed a bunch for cider. We sprang for a nice little press, but not for a grinder. So we do some hand chopping to get it down to food processor size, then that nice little machine takes over from there. Considering that HusbandX and I spent all of our anniversary (about 14 hours each) chopping and pressing apples, in addition to several more days of work, I'd say the food processor was well worth it.
As were our efforts. Five gallons of apple ale, fifteen gallons of hard cider, twelve gallons of sweet cider. 20-ish quarts of applesauce. Several pies. The "waste" went into the compost. Mustachian win.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15760 on: November 21, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »

Correction, the mustachian purpose of a registry is that people get you things you actually want and can use, and you don't get three blenders, if you only want one.  SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANY RETURNS.  It is especially nice and easy way for group gifts that form a set.

If you don't want an item, don't put it on your registry just to get money to return it.... that is just gross, and takes advantage of your friends.   Why not just have no registry, then and ask for no gifts.......  or be all tacky and direct and ask for friends to give you money straight up (if it is not 'understood / typical' in your culture) and those that want to get you a gift will do so anyway.

If you are going to be tacky about it, but truthful, why not ask for money straight up and IN ADVANCE -- so you can pay your deposits on the venue?
Just curious, why did you assume that people didn't know what happened? I followed cultural customs, what's tacky about following expectations?

My grandma thought that giving cash at a wedding was bad luck, so did many relatives. Yet most of the gifts had the store "gift" receipt attached (a gift receipt doesn't show prices but can be used for returns). So they were expecting me to return a gift, and you're saying that's gross? We're not discussing friends, we're talking about respecting my elders here.

Can you accept that some cultures have different ways of operating? Some give savings bonds, some give cash, some give jewelry that is meant to be sold in an emergency.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15761 on: November 21, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »

Just curious, why did you assume that people didn't know what happened? I followed cultural customs, what's tacky about following expectations?

My grandma thought that giving cash at a wedding was bad luck, so did many relatives. Yet most of the gifts had the store "gift" receipt attached (a gift receipt doesn't show prices but can be used for returns). So they were expecting me to return a gift, and you're saying that's gross? We're not discussing friends, we're talking about respecting my elders here.

Can you accept that some cultures have different ways of operating? Some give savings bonds, some give cash, some give jewelry that is meant to be sold in an emergency.

I tried to be practical and say we have just about everything we need so people should just give us cash and they scoffed at it, like they were seriously offended I would ask for cash.  Lots of people gave cash/checks anyway, but it's apparently a major social faux pas to ask, so we got lots of crap from registry as well.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15762 on: November 21, 2016, 05:26:25 PM »
Prairie Stash

IMO,  it is gross to ask for specific gifts from your friends and family, that you have no intention of keeping at the time that you ask for them, but intend from the start to return for cash.  Especially so, if you ask for $100 items simply because they are easier to return (plate set you don't even like) than a bulky item (vase / comforter).

The people who attached the gift receipt did so in case you get a second / identical one, or they buy queen size bedding and you need a king size, or they buy purple but your kitchen is orange, etc..  They actually want you to use the gift and not return it, but if you can't use it, they would rather you exchange it for something that you can use.   

If they wanted to give you cash or a gift certificate, they certainly would have, for the wedding or otherwise, as buying a gift takes thought and care and time.  In the case of your grandmother, she would have given you cash in advance of the wedding, for example, or as an amount to "help set up your new home / buy yourself dinner on moving day" and then provided a simple present for the wedding itself, if she actually wanted you to have money, but thought it bad luck on the day of..  Grandma's are kinda cool at that.

If your culture dictates no cash as presents for weddings, then accept and use what you get, or exchange the gifts for something you can use (not just return for cash unless there is no option such as at a small boutique store).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15763 on: November 21, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »
The other things that get made in/because of food processors, I will add this: home-pressed apple cider. My parents have an apple tree, there are lots of apple trees in communal areas here, and we have neighbors who couldn't eat/preserve all of their apples. That led to a LOT of free apples for us. In addition to the massive amounts of applesauce and apple pie we made, we pressed a bunch for cider. We sprang for a nice little press, but not for a grinder. So we do some hand chopping to get it down to food processor size, then that nice little machine takes over from there. Considering that HusbandX and I spent all of our anniversary (about 14 hours each) chopping and pressing apples, in addition to several more days of work, I'd say the food processor was well worth it.

As were our efforts. Five gallons of apple ale, fifteen gallons of hard cider, twelve gallons of sweet cider. 20-ish quarts of applesauce. Several pies. The "waste" went into the compost. Mustachian win.

LOL,  we tried apple cider making for the first time this year. (trial test run)..   hand press (car jack), and yep, dug out the food processors after messing about a bit....   1 L of cider later, we decided that the effort to chop, grind in processor and press was not worth it -- we needed a proper grinder of some sort next time.   Maybe even a stand up leaf mulcher could work... if clean and new...

Good on you for sticking with it, though!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15764 on: November 21, 2016, 06:22:29 PM »
...it is gross to ask for specific gifts from your friends and family that you have no intention of keeping at the time that you ask for them, but intend from the start to return for cash.

A friend just messaged me in horror because she received an invitation to a baby shower accompanied by a two-page list of requested gifts, and instructions to let the couple know in advance what gift they would be bringing to avoid duplication.

She sent me pictures of the list: all the big ticket items (pram, car seat, cot, bassinet) plus very specific instructions and quantities for the smaller items. (E.g. 6 x bottles in y age range.)

The blatant gift grab and air of entitlement makes my skin crawl.

My friend picked some of the cheaper items on the list (specific brands of nappy cream and moisturiser) but any enthusiasm she had for her friend's baby shower and the pregnancy in general is out the window.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15765 on: November 21, 2016, 06:25:18 PM »
The other day at work:

I don't understand the question?  For me, I didn't get any excess stuff - we used everything that we got as gifts and in fact, wore some of them out (of course, we've been married 20 years now).

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15766 on: November 21, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »
Prairie Stash

IMO,  it is gross to ask for specific gifts from your friends and family, that you have no intention of keeping at the time that you ask for them, but intend from the start to return for cash.  Especially so, if you ask for $100 items simply because they are easier to return (plate set you don't even like) than a bulky item (vase / comforter).

The people who attached the gift receipt did so in case you get a second / identical one, or they buy queen size bedding and you need a king size, or they buy purple but your kitchen is orange, etc..  They actually want you to use the gift and not return it, but if you can't use it, they would rather you exchange it for something that you can use.   

If they wanted to give you cash or a gift certificate, they certainly would have, for the wedding or otherwise, as buying a gift takes thought and care and time.  In the case of your grandmother, she would have given you cash in advance of the wedding, for example, or as an amount to "help set up your new home / buy yourself dinner on moving day" and then provided a simple present for the wedding itself, if she actually wanted you to have money, but thought it bad luck on the day of..  Grandma's are kinda cool at that.

If your culture dictates no cash as presents for weddings, then accept and use what you get, or exchange the gifts for something you can use (not just return for cash unless there is no option such as at a small boutique store).
My grandma and I talked, I knew her. It's bossy to tell gift givers what to do. It's also rude to tell recipients what to do.

The polite thing is to let everyone do what works best for themselves.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15767 on: November 21, 2016, 08:08:55 PM »
The other day at work:

I don't understand the question?  For me, I didn't get any excess stuff - we used everything that we got as gifts and in fact, wore some of them out (of course, we've been married 20 years now).
I'm glad you didn't get excess. I got married after living on my own/buying a house. It's pretty common now to get married when you're older and settled. What do you need when you combine 2 adults? Just show up and celebrate, we didn't need a thing. However the cultural need to give/receive gifts must be acknowledged. Excess happened, multiple kitchen appliances in boxes for me to store, how about I store them as cash and future self buys it when I need it again?

does that provide illustration? Perhaps you needed all your gifts, I did not and came from a situation of premarital excess. What would you have done in my shoes, kept duplicates of stuff or returned it?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15768 on: November 21, 2016, 11:31:36 PM »
Yeah I would argue that any appliance that gets regular use is mustachian. I bought an Instant Pot when it was on sale and for the next few weeks regretted it because I couldn't get myself to use it, and I thought it would be another waffle maker. The waffle maker was a $10 purchase that I've only used once so it isn't so bad, but I hate that it just collects dust because I never want to make waffles.

But then I used my Instant Pot and have loved it since. Through it I make my rice, steel cut oats, dal, black beans, and many more things and for my friend's giving I am likely going to make whole chicken (don't really like turkey) and afterwards I plan to use the remainder carcass and bones to make stock.
I'm trying to make room in the freezer for sale-priced turkeys, so I used the IP tonight to cook a whole chicken. Damn it, there were no leftovers! I'm writing this as I wait for the inner pot to cool off enough to put in the fridge. Chicken (flavored) soup tomorrow.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15769 on: November 22, 2016, 03:26:22 AM »
...it is gross to ask for specific gifts from your friends and family that you have no intention of keeping at the time that you ask for them, but intend from the start to return for cash.

A friend just messaged me in horror because she received an invitation to a baby shower accompanied by a two-page list of requested gifts, and instructions to let the couple know in advance what gift they would be bringing to avoid duplication.

She sent me pictures of the list: all the big ticket items (pram, car seat, cot, bassinet) plus very specific instructions and quantities for the smaller items. (E.g. 6 x bottles in y age range.)

My friend picked some of the cheaper items on the list (specific brands of nappy cream and moisturiser) but any enthusiasm she had for her friend's baby shower and the pregnancy in general is out the window.

It's a wonder anyone showed up. Why do people go along with these things?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15770 on: November 22, 2016, 03:38:00 AM »

It's a wonder anyone showed up. Why do people go along with these things?

Fucked if I know...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15771 on: November 22, 2016, 07:14:23 AM »
I think the concept of a public list (like my Amazon wishlist for books) works great. My brother uses a similar to send us ideas for Christmas presents for his children. I don't need to tell him which items I buy, I just hook them anonymously off the list. And I can also ignore the list completely.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15772 on: November 22, 2016, 08:50:42 AM »
Funny story:  In my wife's hometown, there's one particular store that traditionally got most of the wedding registry business.  This particular store does registries a bit different than most stores.  DW and I, however, registered at Target and Walmart.  The locals, bless their hearts, didn't understand how the registries worked, and as a result, we got six hand mixers and 30+ towels. :)  We returned all but one mixer, and have yet to purchase a towel in >13 years of marriage!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #15773 on: November 22, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »
This is why you use a registry - they keep track of what has been bought, and what hasn't yet been bought. People buying gifts can see the status too.

I once went to a bridal shower where the happy couple received four popcorn makers (out of a total of maybe 2 dozen gifts). That's when I started to appreciate the worth of a registry.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15774 on: November 22, 2016, 11:04:25 AM »
Funny story:  In my wife's hometown, there's one particular store that traditionally got most of the wedding registry business.  This particular store does registries a bit different than most stores.  DW and I, however, registered at Target and Walmart.  The locals, bless their hearts, didn't understand how the registries worked, and as a result, we got six hand mixers and 30+ towels. :)  We returned all but one mixer, and have yet to purchase a towel in >13 years of marriage!

Towels are one of those things that I feel like you can never have enough of.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15775 on: November 22, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »

Towels are one of those things that I feel like you can never have enough of.

I've always been of the opinion that any more than one is wasteful

My wedding registry, though, was like all popcorn makers.  Big ones, little ones, wifi connected ones.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #15776 on: November 22, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »
wifi connected ones.
Welcome to the internet of shitty things, where your toilet tells your fridge to buy less dairy and your toaster is DDoSing the NSA.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15777 on: November 22, 2016, 03:04:20 PM »
Hopefully the toaster is using an anonymous proxy server to do the DDoSing.  At that point I'm all for it, where can I get one of those?  I'll pay extra if I can get it to point to selected people as the actual source, a former boss comes to mind.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15778 on: November 22, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »
Hopefully the toaster is using an anonymous proxy server to do the DDoSing.  At that point I'm all for it, where can I get one of those?  I'll pay extra if I can get it to point to selected people as the actual source, a former boss comes to mind.

I think in this scenario you are the "anonymous proxy" used by someone else, and they are pointing to you as the actual source.  Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #15779 on: November 22, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

THIS.  This is why I follow this thread.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15780 on: November 22, 2016, 09:09:54 PM »
Back to overheard at work...

Groupon Eyebrows von Spendypants (is that what we named her?) brought lunch from home today, yay.

It was a $5 tub of pre-packaged soup, so not as cheap as cooking a batch of soup, but I'm hoping it represents progress on her behalf.

appleblossom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15781 on: November 23, 2016, 02:13:30 AM »

My baby shower is this weekend and I didn't want to do a registry, but I was asked by a few people so I ended up putting together a short list at one of the baby stores. My partner pointed out that given that people wanted to give us things, it was stupid to turn them down.
That said I think the most expensive item was $60, and most were around $20. I would be embarrassed to expect others to spend lots on my child.

Most baby showers here are pretty casual, usually an afternoon tea with catering provided by the organisers.
I did go to one last year where the guests had to pay $20 each for food and drinks in addition to taking a gift. And it was at someones house not a restuarant. That felt cheap. I would have preferred to make a cake (and I did offer) but they had their heart set on catering. It wasn't even that good.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15782 on: November 23, 2016, 03:31:49 AM »
My baby shower is this weekend and I didn't want to do a registry, but I was asked by a few people so I ended up putting together a short list at one of the baby stores. My partner pointed out that given that people wanted to give us things, it was stupid to turn them down.

I have no problem with having a list in mind for when people approach you for ideas. It's sending out a list, unsolicited, with invitations that makes me uncomfortable.

(I always ask friends what they want/need. If someone sent me a list of demands, I would run the other way.)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #15783 on: November 23, 2016, 03:35:25 AM »
This is why you use a registry - they keep track of what has been bought, and what hasn't yet been bought. People buying gifts can see the status too.

I once went to a bridal shower where the happy couple received four popcorn makers (out of a total of maybe 2 dozen gifts). That's when I started to appreciate the worth of a registry.

One for each bathroom?

Certainly would smell better than most of those candles they sell.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15784 on: November 23, 2016, 06:01:05 AM »

One for each bathroom?

Certainly would smell better than most of those candles they sell.
Sometimes I hate it that you cant upvote posts here. This is one of those times. I have never smelled a good smelling perfum candle.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #15785 on: November 23, 2016, 06:31:17 AM »
I once went to IKEA with my former girlfriend. every few steps she would pick up a candle, hold it under my nose and ask "It smells nice, doesn't it? Smell the candle!"
I'm never going to take a women to IKEA again, especially not on a Saturday.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15786 on: November 23, 2016, 07:36:25 AM »
My (female) boss and another female colleague were announcing that they were going to go bananas in shopping tomorrow, because of Black Friday.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15787 on: November 23, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
I once went to IKEA with my former girlfriend. every few steps she would pick up a candle, hold it under my nose and ask "It smells nice, doesn't it? Smell the candle!"

Oh, how I love it when people use one anecdote of one single instance of behavior by one single person to mock an entire group of people. I mean, this dude at work chews with his mouth open. CLEARLY I'm never eating at a table with any man ever again. (sarcasm, if that was unclear)

That said, avoiding Ikea on a Saturday is +++ good advice, regardless of company.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #15788 on: November 23, 2016, 08:08:25 AM »

Oh, how I love it when people use one anecdote of one single instance of behavior by one single person to mock an entire group of people. I mean, this dude at work chews with his mouth open. CLEARLY I'm never eating at a table with any man ever again. (sarcasm, if that was unclear)

That said, avoiding Ikea on a Saturday is +++ good advice, regardless of company.

Wow!  I have seen the same issues as both of you!  Therefore, I will never bring anyone, even myself, to Ikea because I can't stand smelling everything and then eating those delicious meatballs with my mouth open.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15789 on: November 23, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »
My (female) boss and another female colleague were announcing that they were going to go bananas in shopping tomorrow, because of Black Friday.

I'll be sniping Craigslist on Monday because of all the perfectly good things people are replacing on Black Friday.

I actually AM going to go shopping on Black Friday. Justification: we're Canadian - our Thanksgiving was a month ago, I don't know how this massive sale entered our lives, but here we are. I need 3 meters of a specific fabric to finish 2 Christmas gifts, which will be 50% off on Friday. And the fabric store is 3 blocks from my work, so I can walk there at lunch and finish my Christmas presents for 50% less than if I went today. (I also have a list of projects I want to finish in the next 4 months and what I'd need to finish them - if I can get the material for 50% of the usual cost, I will.)

... I'm assuming this is not what people mean when they say people 'go wild shopping', though. ;)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15790 on: November 23, 2016, 08:31:45 AM »
I actually AM going to go shopping on Black Friday.

Me too.  I need to buy all the door/window casing, baseboards, and doors to finish my basement.  If I paint it on Friday, I can spend Saturday and Sunday installing it.  Win.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #15791 on: November 23, 2016, 08:37:55 AM »

Wow!  I have seen the same issues as both of you!  Therefore, I will never bring anyone, even myself, to Ikea because I can't stand smelling everything and then eating those delicious meatballs with my mouth open.
IKEA is fine, one should avoid people.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15792 on: November 23, 2016, 09:43:49 AM »

First, I don't get the candle thing.  At all. I have a friend who used to manage a candle store.  He's moved on from there.  I wouldn't even HAVE candles except for the occasional time we lose power. So we have these two massive candles that our neighbor offloaded onto us.  Will probably still be in this house when we die. 

Ikea, sorta glad it's a long drive away. I'd forgotten what they were like.  We stopped in one on a vacation once (for lunch, really).  I also decided to buy an egg slicer, as mine had broken. Found it first thing but what a chore to find my way out...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15793 on: November 23, 2016, 11:31:15 AM »

Me too.  I need to buy all the door/window casing, baseboards, and doors to finish my basement.  If I paint it on Friday, I can spend Saturday and Sunday installing it.  Win.

Of course I understand both of you. A good sale can be smart if you actually need something. But some people just go to the sale because it is cheap and they try to find something they want to buy. That sounds pretty meaningless to me.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15794 on: November 23, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »

Of course I understand both of you. A good sale can be smart if you actually need something. But some people just go to the sale because it is cheap and they try to find something they want to buy. That sounds pretty meaningless to me.

I don't think my stuff is on sale or really goes on sale, it's just a useful chunk of free time having the holiday. 

Also, most people's Black Friday shopping is for Christmas gifts; personally I'd rather claw my eyes out than go shopping for gifts at the store, that's what Amazon is for.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #15795 on: November 23, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »
And obviously Amazon would never participate in such a silly Black Friday Sales Pitch

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15796 on: November 23, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »
The other day at work:

I have all of these, AND an instant pot (though I'm considering ditching my slow cooker).

I bought them all and use them all.

I love my appliances, what can I say. I also have a mixer and an immersion blender and a rice cooker and.... more things. LOL. But I love them and use them all.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:26:19 PM by honeybbq »

force majeure

• Stubble
« Reply #15797 on: November 23, 2016, 12:22:50 PM »
Theres a stupid fuck who works in my building, always gets a takeaway lunch $5 - 8.
On top of that, he smokes, and is on sub $30K.
I see lots of this self destructive behaviour around me.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15798 on: November 23, 2016, 12:25:46 PM »

Its the basis for the entire board, isn't that meaningful? Besides, think of my (your?) U.S. ETF, I'm heavily invested in Americans spending.

My local hardware resale (they take in building supplies and sell them)is having a 50% off sale on Saturday. I'm wondering if they expect an influx Friday and need more space...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #15799 on: November 23, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »

WinCo is where I'm going on Friday.  Half price turkeys, and the store will be empty in case I'm inclined to do any other grocery shopping while I'm there.  Maybe turkey sammich fixin's.