Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 6390570 times)

scarab007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #1550 on: January 20, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »
Another overheard er actually witnessed this one . . .

Company owner's son was sent with an assistant from Montreal to Chicago to meet with clients at a jobsite last Monday.  Instead of taking a direct flight from Montreal to Chicago said owner's son and pal scheduled the flight to 'stop over' in Denver and spend the night exploring as they had heard it was legal to buy pot there.  They swear they bought some 'good shit' there and yacked about how cool it was.  (Do I believe this?)  Not personal financial irresponsibility but my head is still spinning. 

Nothing any of us could do when this idiot and his assistant spun the story other than sit, nod our heads, smile and tell him what a smart guy he was and "How cool!  How fun!"  (None of us have smoked since high school/college.  Nuttin' wrong with it as far as we're concerned but don't do it on the company's dime when the company is laying off people and no-one's had a raise or bonus in years).  Note:  these 2 are in their early 30's.  Old enough to have more sense.

I'm still furious and me head's a still a spinnin'.  How much a** kissing and pee-pee smooching is required fer cripes sake?

Glad to have a job tho right about now.  Prospects are not good in this area and in our field.  We're maybe 8 - 10 years from FIRE.

Reminds of the movie "Horrible Bosses" when the dad dies and Colin Farrell character takes over the company. HAHA

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1551 on: January 20, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »
The boss was telling us how her daughter recently moved to the big city to go to university. Since she was living right in the city, she found she wasn't able to use her car very much, because living in the city and public transport was too good. So, this year, the daughter is moving to an outer city suburb, simply so she could use her car more. Doh.

WTF?! This is the clearest proof yet that there are aliens in our midst.

It's like those aliens from The Arrival, they're trying to increase the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere and finish the job we started.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1552 on: January 20, 2014, 11:52:58 PM »
CW1: You switched to third party car insurance, right? How much is it costing you? I'm thinking of switching too.
Me: Just over $300 a year. My comprehensive car insurance was costing me $1080 per year, so it was well worth the savings to me.
CW2: Oh my god, how can you afford not to have comprehensive car insurance? What if somebody hits you and they're not insured so you don't get any money?
Me: I'll pay to repair the car myself, or if it's totalled, I'll replace it.
CW2: That's insane, I don't have $28,000 sitting around to replace my car. I don't have any money saved up.
This person has a one-income family and they just bought a (huge) house... a) why on earth does she own a $28,000 car, and b) I can't believe that somebody could own a $28,000 car and a $700,000 house with one income and not have an emergency fund.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1553 on: January 21, 2014, 12:56:46 AM »
CW1: You switched to third party car insurance, right? How much is it costing you? I'm thinking of switching too.
Me: Just over $300 a year. My comprehensive car insurance was costing me $1080 per year, so it was well worth the savings to me.
CW2: Oh my god, how can you afford not to have comprehensive car insurance? What if somebody hits you and they're not insured so you don't get any money?
CW2: That's insane, I don't have $28,000 sitting around to replace my car. I don't have any money saved up.
This person has a one-income family and they just bought a (huge) house... a) why on earth does she own a $28,000 car, and b) I can't believe that somebody could own a $28,000 car and a $700,000 house with one income and not have an emergency fund.
What comprehensive were you on that it cost you $1000/year? Ouch! Ours is $380, on a brand new car.
But the one-income-no-emergency-fund-and-a-mortgage thing is scary.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1554 on: January 21, 2014, 01:42:08 AM »
Plus I know it's a huge mortgage because she freely admitted she didn't have a 20% deposit...

I've addressed this in more detail in my journal, but basically where I live is TERRIBLE for prangs and your insurance is partly based on how many accidents are reported in your suburb. That was the cheapest rate I ever found for comprehensive, and I did call around.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1555 on: January 21, 2014, 06:10:39 AM »
Prangs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OambG-H3Li8

Prangs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prang_(architecture)

I'll admit i've never heard that term but i'll assume you're referring to the former rather than the architectural element.

I can't believe that somebody could own a $28,000 car and a $700,000 house with one income and not have an emergency fund.

I think it's *because they have a $28,000 car and a $700,000 house with one income that they don't have an emergency fund.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1556 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22:20 AM »
Prangs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OambG-H3Li8

Prangs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prang_(architecture)

I'll admit i've never heard that term but i'll assume you're referring to the former rather than the architectural element.

I can't believe that somebody could own a $28,000 car and a $700,000 house with one income and not have an emergency fund.

I think it's *because they have a $28,000 car and a $700,000 house with one income that they don't have an emergency fund.

I didn't realise is was specifically Aussie slang. I'll mark that down as "one thing I learned today"

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1557 on: January 21, 2014, 06:27:56 AM »
Woman at work this morning complaining that when she retires in 10 years it could be very difficult to live on our (government) pension.  When I asked if she had any investments in RRSPs (401K) she says, "No--those things are a scam!  ...And besides, it could put me in a higher tax bracket."

Errr..  You're worried that you won't have enough, but don't want to have enough because you might pay more in tax?  Somebody please explain this to me?

Well the money you take out of your RRSPs is counted as income, so there is more tax than you would have otherwise and some claw-backs on other benefits you get by being very low income or otherwise mean tested.   This is another place where a TFSA is awesome, because it isn't counted as income or held against you in means testing (at least right now or in the near future).

She's probably concerned because of stuff like this:
http://www.canada.com/finance/moneylibrary/story.html?id=fb5d9d3a-369d-4776-90ca-5ac1e4d623ea

And an article about clawbacks, RRSPs, TFSAs, etc.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/retirement-rrsps/how-to-beat-the-retirement-clawback/article8641085/
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

<i>CM*TO Is a thing!! We're accepting names for the waitlist!!</i>

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • This night has silence and very little fear
    • The MMM Blogger Community
« Reply #1558 on: January 21, 2014, 06:29:55 AM »
A prang is a vehicle-pedestrian collision?

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1559 on: January 21, 2014, 06:35:46 AM »
My coworker drives a paid off vehicle, lives with a roommate, has few bills, and says he saves a good bit of money.

Yesterday, he told me that he looked at a 2014 truck that he had to say no to because it would've cost $900 a month for 7 years!  Some quick math made me question this egregious amount and he countered that he recalls factoring in all the costs (insurance, gas, etc).  Still...

Later that day, he was perusing the interwebs and found two other pickup trucks that were in the $40k-$50k range.  In asking for my opinion, I said they looked nice but suggested he save the money instead.

Him:  "I save now, i'm tired of saving money."
Me:  "Do you contribute to your retirement?"
Him:  "Yeah, the max...6%."
Me:  "The max is $17,500 for the year, not 6%.  You can contribute 10, 15, or even 20%."

He continues to argue about the max and then the conversation trails off.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1560 on: January 21, 2014, 06:44:52 AM »
My coworker drives a paid off vehicle, lives with a roommate, has few bills, and says he saves a good bit of money.

Yesterday, he told me that he looked at a 2014 truck that he had to say no to because it would've cost $900 a month for 7 years!  Some quick math made me question this egregious amount and he countered that he recalls factoring in all the costs (insurance, gas, etc).  Still...

Later that day, he was perusing the interwebs and found two other pickup trucks that were in the $40k-$50k range.  In asking for my opinion, I said they looked nice but suggested he save the money instead.

Me:  "The max is $17,500 for the year, not 6%.  You can contribute 10, 15, or even 20%."

That sounds like a person who might be interested in doing more if he were better educated about the options. Trouble is, doesn't sound like he's ready to listen to you about it, or at least not yet. Maybe you could "lose" some informational book in his vicinity? You'd find it at a yard sale or thrift store, of course.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #1561 on: January 21, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »
I think he is ready to be introduced to MMM.
You know you should kind of save, but at some point you have an sufficent emergency fund, you save enough to retire at an normal age and money just piles up under your mattress and you don't know what to do about it.
MMM can be an eye-opener that it is actually possible to put that money to good use by retiering early.

Royale with Moustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1562 on: January 21, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »

I doubt it. If they didn't have the car and house they probably would just replace it with some really nice TVs and a boat.
Vincent Vega "And you know what they call a... a... a Mr Money Mustache in Paris?"
-Deleted scene from Pulp Fiction discussing Badassity

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1563 on: January 21, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »

No, it could (British usage anyway, I'm not sure about Australian) be any crash.  You could prang a bike or airplane.  Connotation seems that it's comparatively minor, maybe equivalent to US fender-bender?

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #1564 on: January 21, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
I think prang might even be regional British. I didn't hear it living in the North and have never heard it in NZ.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1565 on: January 21, 2014, 01:17:20 PM »

Maybe he makes $291k

kiwibeach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • getting there......
« Reply #1566 on: January 21, 2014, 01:26:13 PM »
Prang in New Zealand is a minor accident,
Eg you you pranged your car when you backed into the wall
Someone pranged your car when they cut the corner and hit your car
Someone pranged your car when they were parking next to you, and forgot their car was enormous and put a dent in your car.

Could also be for a bike, plane, boat, anything really.

Didn't know they used it in Aussie though 😄

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • This night has silence and very little fear
    • The MMM Blogger Community
« Reply #1567 on: January 21, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »
Is a bus nearly flattening a pedestrian a prang? Or did the video give me the wrong impression.

kt

« Reply #1568 on: January 21, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »

No, it could (British usage anyway, I'm not sure about Australian) be any crash.  You could prang a bike or airplane.  Connotation seems that it's comparatively minor, maybe equivalent to US fender-bender?

my impression is that the vehicle would end up with a minor dent. i would associate it with a crash with another vehicle or object rather than a person.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1569 on: January 21, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »
Is a bus nearly flattening a pedestrian a prang? Or did the video give me the wrong impression.

my impression is that the vehicle would end up with a minor dent. i would associate it with a crash with another vehicle or object rather than a person.

@grantmeaname...by kt's definition, yes.  I'm sure said pedestrian would cause a minor dent.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1570 on: January 21, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »

Aussies / NZers are extremely tough people.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1571 on: January 21, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
Prang is minor and usually a two car accident, though they could also be one car if you dent your car while parking or something.

Never occurred to me that prang wasn't universal!

If a person got hit by a vehicle, I doubt that would ever be considered a prang.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1572 on: January 21, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »

Aussies / NZers are extremely tough people.

You can't kill me, I'm Russian (and they all seem to have dash cams).

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1573 on: January 21, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »
Prang is minor and usually a two car accident, though they could also be one car if you dent your car while parking or something.

If a person got hit by a vehicle, I doubt that would ever be considered a prang.

One day in Bangkok I got hit by a vespa (the world certainly wasn't my oyster that day). I didn't think to look for traffic on the shoulder going the wrong direction on a one way road and the driver couldn't stop in time. My palms got a bit scraped up from the fall as I threw my arms out to keep my torso from hitting the pavement. I guess that would be a prang.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1574 on: January 21, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »

Maybe he makes $291k

I lol'd at this!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1575 on: January 21, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Nah, I've been hit as a pedestrian by a car twice and a bus once, and if I'd described those incidents as "prangs" I would have been rushed off to check for concussion. (Only one of those was my fault, for the record).

I think fender bender is the closest synonym.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1576 on: January 21, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »
(and they all seem to have dash cams).

They actually do, 'cause insurance and bad law enforcement

ETA: not literallyall, they aren't required, but it's a very very good idea
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:09:45 PM by Russ »

poxpower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I want to retire without ever having worked.
    • poxbox
« Reply #1577 on: January 21, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
One of my friends who bought a 500$ purse last week posted this on her FB today:

Trying to be badass one month at a time... http://www.thepoxbox.com/challenges.php?id=challengesmain

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1578 on: January 21, 2014, 08:31:08 PM »
Let me just set down my 10' poll that I'm not going to touch this with.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1579 on: January 21, 2014, 09:51:44 PM »

...This person has a one-income family and they just bought a (huge) house... a) why on earth does she own a $28,000 car, and b) I can't believe that somebody could own a $28,000 car and a $700,000 house with one income and not have an emergency fund.

These are the same people who have to buy a house in perfect shape with a perfect kitchen and a garage because they have $ 0 to make those renovations. They can only borrow money for a mortgage, and the mortgage (in most instances) will only fund what is already there.

I used to be puzzled why having to find a house with a garage was such a big deal to some people. Find the house you love and if it doesn't have a garage, build one! DH had to explain it to me: these people don't HAVE $25,000 sitting around to build a garage. since they are buying $300,000 to $500,000 in my neighborhood, I found that idea shocking.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1580 on: January 22, 2014, 12:14:20 AM »

...This person has a one-income family and they just bought a (huge) house... a) why on earth does she own a $28,000 car, and b) I can't believe that somebody could own a $28,000 car and a $700,000 house with one income and not have an emergency fund.

These are the same people who have to buy a house in perfect shape with a perfect kitchen and a garage because they have $ 0 to make those renovations. They can only borrow money for a mortgage, and the mortgage (in most instances) will only fund what is already there.

I used to be puzzled why having to find a house with a garage was such a big deal to some people. Find the house you love and if it doesn't have a garage, build one! DH had to explain it to me: these people don't HAVE $25,000 sitting around to build a garage. since they are buying $300,000 to $500,000 in my neighborhood, I found that idea shocking.
I'm quite certain you can buy quite a few non-perfect homes in Perth for $700k, so I hope they did get a nice one.

poxpower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I want to retire without ever having worked.
    • poxbox
« Reply #1581 on: January 22, 2014, 12:42:10 AM »
Also this whole thread reminds me of something that happened when I was in 1st grade.

Our teacher would pay us with 5 tickets if we were good that day. The tickets could be exchanged for fancy stickers at the end of each week, or saved up each week to get even fancier stickers later (some up to 120tickets!!! lol).

At the end of the first week, she said that everyone who'd been nice should have 20 tickets ( even though the week was 5 days long so in reality we could have up to 25). Only one kid counted his actual tickets and figured out that he had 25.

We all wondered how it could be that he had 25 tickets while we only had 20. We didn't even count ours, we just figured that he must somehow had been luckier and gotten 5 extra tickets out of nowhere.

That kid was totally mistermoneymustache and the rest of us were the poor saps wondering where all our money went when in fact it was right under our noses all along and we were simply too stupid to count it properly.
Trying to be badass one month at a time... http://www.thepoxbox.com/challenges.php?id=challengesmain

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1582 on: January 22, 2014, 06:34:12 AM »
It's the same logic that keeps people from paying off their student loans because "I'd lose the tax deduction!"

I hear this all the time with respect to mortgages.  "you're just throwing away your money when you're renting!"  I like to point out that you're absolutely right if I'm not SAVING THE DIFFERENCE THAT I'M SAVING BY NOT OWNING A DAMN HOUSE.  There are times when it makes sense to buy a house, financially, but if the average american is doing it, it's most likely not the right thing to do (in my mind at least).

Also
"I saved 5k on my brand new car!" -
Me - "But you still spent 30k..."
I blog on items flipped for a profit on eBay:
Flipping A Dollar

I made 6.5k in profits in 2015!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1583 on: January 22, 2014, 06:35:19 AM »

I'm betting that car isn't paid off either...
Flipping A Dollar

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1584 on: January 22, 2014, 06:38:38 AM »

One day in Bangkok I got hit by a vespa (the world certainly wasn't my oyster that day). I didn't think to look for traffic on the shoulder going the wrong direction on a one way road and the driver couldn't stop in time. My palms got a bit scraped up from the fall as I threw my arms out to keep my torso from hitting the pavement. I guess that would be a prang.

Bangkok is RIDICULOUS!  I loved how every time the drivers were waiting for a light to turn green, all of the little scooters would weave in between all the cars stopped at the light and pass in front of the cross walk (still behind the green light).  Once that light turned green, there would be 50+ scooters gunning it like motocross!!  SO fun to watch.
Flipping A Dollar

DTown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1585 on: January 22, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
I have one from my last job. I was considered a healthnut (mostly true) so sometimes people would ask me for my health-wise opinion. This particular coworker sometimes made a point of being as unhealthy as possible with the 'goal' of dying before his wife. This was such a facepalm I had a hard time deciding if he was honestly asking or not. He never played around much, so I'm pretty sure he was being serious.

Coworker: Hey DTown, what do you do for energy?
Me: What do you mean? (Was he wondering about calories or caffine?)
Coworker: You know, to stay awake? I know you don't drink soda or energy drinks.
Me: (Wondering if he was being serious) I...uh...sleep???
Coworker: (Completely serious) Oh... I hadn't thought about that. I guess you're right. *Walks away awkwardly*

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Warned Member
« Reply #1586 on: January 22, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »
I have one from my last job. I was considered a healthnut (mostly true) so sometimes people would ask me for my health-wise opinion. This particular coworker sometimes made a point of being as unhealthy as possible with the 'goal' of dying before his wife. This was such a facepalm I had a hard time deciding if he was honestly asking or not. He never played around much, so I'm pretty sure he was being serious.

Coworker: Hey DTown, what do you do for energy?
Me: What do you mean? (Was he wondering about calories or caffine?)
Coworker: You know, to stay awake? I know you don't drink soda or energy drinks.
Me: (Wondering if he was being serious) I...uh...sleep???
Coworker: (Completely serious) Oh... I hadn't thought about that. I guess you're right. *Walks away awkwardly*
What is this sleep you speak of and where can I finance it?

nyxst

• Bristles
« Reply #1587 on: January 23, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »

What is this sleep you speak of and where can I finance it?

Hahahahaha! Perfect :)

mgarl10024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1588 on: January 24, 2014, 06:50:03 AM »
I think prang might even be regional British. I didn't hear it living in the North and have never heard it in NZ.

Prang in New Zealand is a minor accident,
Eg you you pranged your car when you backed into the wall
Someone pranged your car when they cut the corner and hit your car
Someone pranged your car when they were parking next to you, and forgot their car was enormous and put a dent in your car.

Could also be for a bike, plane, boat, anything really.

Didn't know they used it in Aussie though 😄

As someone from the UK, this is how I would understand the word prang.  I wouldn't think it involved pedestrians though as others have suggested.

MG

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1589 on: January 24, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »

Bangkok is RIDICULOUS!  I loved how every time the drivers were waiting for a light to turn green, all of the little scooters would weave in between all the cars stopped at the light and pass in front of the cross walk (still behind the green light).  Once that light turned green, there would be 50+ scooters gunning it like motocross!!  SO fun to watch.

tuk-tuks, I still remember what they were called 25 years after visiting Bangkok.

FunkyStickman

• Bristles
    • I Follow The Architect
« Reply #1590 on: January 24, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
Heard today:

Him: "Maybe I'll be able to do that when I retire, in like 35 years" (this person is about 37)
Me: "I'm planning on retiring in about 12 to 15 years. Once I pay off my house in 8, the rest goes in investments, I have no other payments."
Him: "Even if I pay off my house, I'll always have a car payment."
Me: "Why? I don't have one."
Him: "Cause I replace my cars every 10 years, and I have 2 cars..."
Me: "You can't save up a bit and buy one cash? You know how much you lose in interest?"
Him: "Nope, and yes."
Me: "......"
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities." - Mark Twain

lizfish

• Bristles
« Reply #1591 on: January 24, 2014, 11:56:13 AM »
Heard today:

Him: "Maybe I'll be able to do that when I retire, in like 35 years" (this person is about 37)
Me: "I'm planning on retiring in about 12 to 15 years. Once I pay off my house in 8, the rest goes in investments, I have no other payments."
Me: "You can't save up a bit and buy one cash? You know how much you lose in interest?"

This perfectly encapsulates the rest of this thread. "I know I'm being an idiot, but I choose not to exercise my free will in order to change" Let them and the industries they feed get on with it. Good luck to 'em.

jrs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1592 on: January 24, 2014, 12:24:11 PM »
There I was, sitting in the company sponsored retirement planning workshop...

Instructor: If you look at the next handout, you'll see it's your budget work sheet.  Everyone, I want you to pick up your pens and cross out the word "budget".  [ waits whilst we scribble ].  Okay, I want you to write the word "Spending".  Yes, this is your spending worksheet.  Doesn't that sound more fun?

Me: facepalm. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1593 on: January 25, 2014, 08:09:09 AM »
There I was, sitting in the company sponsored retirement planning workshop...

Instructor: If you look at the next handout, you'll see it's your budget work sheet.  Everyone, I want you to pick up your pens and cross out the word "budget".  [ waits whilst we scribble ].  Okay, I want you to write the word "Spending".  Yes, this is your spending worksheet.  Doesn't that sound more fun?

Me: facepalm.

Well, if he tried to help them find ways to reduce their spending or find places where they're leaking money it could really help!  I'm sure that's not the case though...
Flipping A Dollar

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #1594 on: January 25, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »
Heard today:

This perfectly encapsulates the rest of this thread. "I know I'm being an idiot, but I choose not to exercise my free will in order to change" Let them and the industries they feed get on with it. Good luck to 'em.
I think this is so prevalent.  I think of the phrase "When you know better, you do better".  I would like to think that applies to me, but I clearly have "known better" at certain times of my life, but I have still made the dumb choice.  At least I hope to be leaving that behind!
There are two ways to get enough.  One is to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.-  G.K. Chesterton

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #1595 on: January 25, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »
"I know I'm being an idiot, but I choose not to exercise my free will in order to change"

I was reading an article about how much debt PhD's had at graduation and the first comment said "How much agency do graduate students really have?"

Hadilly

• Stubble
« Reply #1596 on: January 25, 2014, 10:19:27 AM »
As a former graduate student, I find that really funny. Yet somehow I graduated with no debt; guess I had some agency after all!

Maigahane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1597 on: January 25, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »
Receptionist at work talking about when they bought their bed:

"We finally found one we could both agree on except he wanted a queen and I wanted a California king. He won and we got the queen and he got cheapest mattress they had. I went back the next day and said "Give me a California king and change the mattress to a TempurPedic. Ended up costing about $1500 more. When it came he asked if it was bigger that what we ordered, I told him it just looked that way since our room is small. I knew he'd want to kill me when he saw the bank statement but it's a nice bed!"

I don't know what they actually paid for the bed, it might very well have been reasonable but the fact she did it behind his back and waited for him to see the bank statements to find out is ridiculous. I'd be having pretty harsh words with DH if he tried anything like that

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1598 on: January 25, 2014, 03:10:58 PM »
yeah buying comfortable quality for where you will spend 1/3 to 1/4 of your life is one thing, going behind your partners back is totally different.  Strong words would be said I guarantee.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1599 on: January 25, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »
CW#1 (looking at a photo on a wall): What's that building?
CW#2: That's a famous movie theater in town.  You mean you've never seen it?
CW#1: Nope.  My wife and I are hard workers.  We work all day, eat dinner, and go to bed. 

Browse portfolios calculated for your own home country at PortfolioCharts.com