Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253126 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #15450 on: October 31, 2016, 05:46:28 AM »
However, she's also bought a new BMW on finance (6% interest rate) in spite of having the cash, because "the dealer threw in 12 months free insurance if you took their finance package."
I gues she doesn't know how cheap insurance is. I was surprised too when my dealer said it costs him about 50€ per year. Ok, was a cheap car, but still.

Take the financing, then next day pay off the loan.

*Typically around here there is no pre-payment penalty.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #15451 on: October 31, 2016, 06:23:43 AM »
One from today. 

A much older colleague (probably in his fifties) was telling me that he spent most of the weekend in the pub near his house.
He said that he saw someone else put a large amount (£100+) into the fruit machine (slot machine) and not win anything.

Apparently that means that the machine was more likely to pay out, so my colleague went to the bank and got some cash out himself.  He put that into the machine and didn't win, so he went and got more cash.  He did this three times until he had put approximately £60 into this machine.

Then he won £400 and £80 on the same turn. 
He told me he was really pleased because he has some big bills (for house repairs) coming up and he needs the money.

I couldn't help but wonder how many weekends he puts the same in but doesn't win anything.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15452 on: October 31, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »

I couldn't help but wonder how many weekends he puts the same in but doesn't win anything.

Gambling/the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15453 on: October 31, 2016, 11:43:30 AM »

Not necessarily. I fully understand the odds. I have a piece of paper that states I'm at least competent in the field of Mathematics, and 3 classes that covered probability specifically. I still play the lottery, and occasionally will still gamble.

But in general, yeah, you're right.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15454 on: October 31, 2016, 11:45:48 AM »

Not necessarily. I fully understand the odds. I have a piece of paper that states I'm at least competent in the field of Mathematics, and 3 classes that covered probability specifically. I still play the lottery, and occasionally will still gamble.

I buy a Powerball ticket every few months (though it's been a few years since the last time)and while I know the chances of me winning anything significant are rare, $1 is not a bad price to pay for that brief moment of imagination that comes when the clerk hands me the ticket. I generally don't check to see if I won anything for a few weeks, mostly because by the time the numbers are announced I've forgot.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15455 on: October 31, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »

"A learned fool is more a fool than an ignorant fool."

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15456 on: October 31, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »

Meh. I mostly buy an MS ticket (all proceeds to to MS research) if I see they have it. I enjoy scratching the tickets, even if I'm not very good at winning. The anticipation and small adrenaline rush are worth the $1-$10 a month I spend on it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15457 on: October 31, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »

Meh. I mostly buy an MS ticket (all proceeds to to MS research) if I see they have it. I enjoy scratching the tickets, even if I'm not very good at winning. The anticipation and small adrenaline rush are worth the $1-$10 a month I spend on it.

Yeah, the smugness from the "I'm way too smart to play the lotto" crowd is tedious when it's directed towards the "buy 3 tickets a year when Powerball goes over $500M" players. You want to yell at the $50/wk people, absolutely, but the whole drop $2 on a whim for a big jackpot, who cares?  I used to joke that back when I drank soda, I'd occasionally go in to the gas station and get a Coke and ticket, and the ticket was the much more responsible purchase.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #15458 on: October 31, 2016, 01:43:26 PM »
Yeah, the smugness from the "I'm way too smart to play the lotto" crowd is tedious when it's directed towards the "buy 3 tickets a year when Powerball goes over $500M" players. You want to yell at the $50/wk people, absolutely, but the whole drop $2 on a whim for a big jackpot, who cares?  I used to joke that back when I drank soda, I'd occasionally go in to the gas station and get a Coke and ticket, and the ticket was the much more responsible purchase.

That's funny, I frequently use soda for an example the other way - "I'd rather spend $2 on a delicious, ice cold drink than on a useless scrap of paper".

I wonder if the whole "dreaming of riches" thing is way less common in Mustachians. I mean, when you already either have a big pile of money, or are making fast and measurable progress towards that pile, you're already seeing a definite finish line for needing to work.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #15459 on: October 31, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »

That's funny, I frequently use soda for an example the other way - "I'd rather spend $2 on a delicious, ice cold drink than on a useless scrap of paper".

I wonder if the whole "dreaming of riches" thing is way less common in Mustachians. I mean, when you already either have a big pile of money, or are making fast and measurable progress towards that pile, you're already seeing a definite finish line for needing to work.

On the odd occasion I purchase a lottery ticket I don't find myself dreaming of yachts and champagne, but being able to implement my RE plan immediately! Perhaps it is less prevalent in Mustachians, however if you're like me and RE is still a number of years away there is still a little rush when you play.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #15460 on: October 31, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »

On the odd occasion I purchase a lottery ticket I don't find myself dreaming of yachts and champagne, but being able to implement my RE plan immediately! Perhaps it is less prevalent in Mustachians, however if you're like me and RE is still a number of years away there is still a little rush when you play.

I too have a lottery fantasy, but it's only good for the mucho-million tickets so I'm only tempted to buy a ticket when the payout is ridiculous.

Maybe our lottery fantasies, for those of us who had them, would be good in a thread of their own.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #15461 on: October 31, 2016, 03:00:44 PM »
It is one thing to have a lotto fantasy and to occasionally buy tickets with excess cash.  That can be pure fun for some people.

It is another thing to obsessively buy tickets you cannot afford because that is your retirement plan. 

Unfortunately, for some people this is their only retirement plan.  In most cases, even if they win, they loose.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15462 on: October 31, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »
It is one thing to have a lotto fantasy and to occasionally buy tickets with excess cash.  That can be pure fun for some people.

It is another thing to obsessively buy tickets you cannot afford because that is your retirement plan. 

Unfortunately, for some people this is their only retirement plan.  In most cases, even if they win, they loose.

And those are the folks my joke was aimed at.  If you understand you have almost no chance of winning and want to put down a couple bucks for the fun of it, then don't let me stop you.  It's the folks who go to Vegas or drop an uncomfortable amount of money on Lotto tickets with some kind of expectation of "this time I'm gonna get it" who need to stop and think for a minute.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15463 on: October 31, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »
I had a friend who used to work at a convenience store.  He had a customer come in and buy $20 in scratch offs.  As he was ringing it up the guy said 'man I hope I win something, I really need the money'.  My buddy goes 'I can still cancel the transaction if you'd like your $20 back'.  The guy just stared at him, confused.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #15464 on: October 31, 2016, 08:08:08 PM »

From many of the threads on this site, I don't see MMM forum members dream any less of riches, they just have a slightly more realistic goal of what 'riches' are.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15465 on: October 31, 2016, 11:25:51 PM »

From many of the threads on this site, I don't see MMM forum members dream any less of riches, they just have a slightly more realistic goal of what 'riches' are.

I definitely dream about "do whatever you want" money, which for me would be like a few hundred million or even a billion.  I'll still probably buy lottery tickets once in a while just for fun.  Of course, I recognize that you, for me, working fewer years will bring me more happiness than any reasonably attainable level of wealth (which would probably be in the tens of millions if that was indeed my primary life goal and I worked until 65, possibly even >100 million if lucky with investments).

ARS claims he already does whatever he wants, and while I don't think he's lying, I sometimes think there's a catch in there. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15466 on: November 01, 2016, 03:16:57 AM »
ARS claims he already does whatever he wants, and while I don't think he's lying, I sometimes think there's a catch in there.

The only catch is one that you put in yourself.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15467 on: November 01, 2016, 04:15:11 AM »
First time contribution to the wall, I got a new co-worker whom I overheard discussing when she going to get paid for the first time (we normally get paid monthly at my work place). Anyway she then says "I've only got three dollars to my name and car with half a tank of petrol [gasoline]" and this was one week after she got the final pay check from her previous job!

She then proceeded to talk about a time where she blew something like $300 in a single weekend (she did acknowledge that was a waste of money though).
So an update on this same co-worker who today mentioned that she bought a TV, even had the box right beside her at work. She was making mention of the fact that  when she first tried to buy it that she couldn't afford to pay for it in full so she put in a deposit (which also explains why she was asking if I got paid, the pay came slightly later than she thought it would). After she finally got paid she then bought the TV outright. Good lord, I'm getting the impression that she'll be doing this every month, just running out of money right before the end of the month and anxiously awaiting the next pay day as a result. Guess I'll be back in another month telling you what she blew it all on next...
Well I thought I would have a story at the end of May but it turns out that mid-way through May I overheard my co-worker talk about how she was now on a budget and therefore had 'No Money' which I took to mean no money to spend on things out of the budget. Now here I was thinking that she had begun to take control of her tendency to run out of money before the end of the month (at my workplace we all get paid on the first business day of the calendar month) and I thought I wouldn't be back here with another story to tell about her but today this same co-worker now tells us that she ran out of money again (11 days left until payday) and that she couldn't stay at an event that one of her friends invited her to (Apparently her friend offered to help pay but my co-worker didn't want to owe her money, so I guess she is not living too far beyond her means). She mentioned nothing about a budget this time.
Another update in November, the same co-worker I discussed who started her job in April had said today: "I am used to being broke at end the end of each month" (so many months to save something!), this came up in relation to an issue she was having with her dress today (it was Dress Up Fancy and Watch Horses Run Day. AKA The Melbourne Cup), it was suggested by someone else that she buy something to fix it (can't remember what) and it was only then she remembered that we all got paid yesterday and could therefore buy it.

Well, to her credit, she didn't go out and buy anything but then I heard her go and reveal more about her finances in that she is now selling her current car, using the money to pay off her credit card bill. Sounds good right? Now she is going to buy another car, with car payments to finance it. The Sisyphean lifestyle blows my mind...

Well, a facepunch for me as well. I spent 2 dollars on a sweepstake for the Melbourne Cup (didn't win anything).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:17:01 AM by stylesjl »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15468 on: November 01, 2016, 06:02:48 AM »

I think its more the difference between those people who can stick to plans and those who need immediate gratification.

Also on the lottery:
Why you buy at big jackpots?
If you win a small with 10 million, you have made it and can live in luxury for the rest of your life.
If you win a big one with 200 million, you have made it and can live in luxury for the rest of your life.

So if both are the same, why play when the competition is fiercest?

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15469 on: November 01, 2016, 07:00:10 AM »

Also on the lottery:
If you win a small with 10 million, you have made it and can live in luxury for the rest of your life.
If you win a big one with 200 million, you have made it and can live in luxury for the rest of your life.

For me, it's because it increases the sense of it being a very irregular, just for fun kind of experience. That's why I never play the ordinary lotto anymore, but just one of the eurowide draws when it gets ridiculously big. Last time was a few weeks ago when it was 90 million. I may never win anything but I enjoy the few days of dreaming. Only buying for the really big draws means I do it far less often (maybe once or twice a year), which is a big improvement over my every-single-week habit of years ago. I quite often play the first week after a big win as well, though, just in case. ;-)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15470 on: November 01, 2016, 07:44:34 AM »
That reminds me of a story I heard about a mathematics (or was it statistics) professor who figured out that there were times when the odds on the lottery were actually in your favor.  She'd buy a bunch of tickets at those points, and made a significant, if relatively modest, profit on her winnings.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15471 on: November 01, 2016, 07:46:07 AM »
I think its more the difference between those people who can stick to plans and those who need immediate gratification.

Also on the lottery:

Meh, harmless 'fun I suppose.  The only time I go in is when we have a massive jackpot and everybody at work goes in together.  The best we did was get it down to 1/840,000 chance on a 645 million jackpot.  If it isn't a 'regular thing' then it very likely isn't a problem.

Of course I also found out that 20% of people don't contribute to the 401k here and 80% of the people that do contribute have loans out against it...  And that ratio has persisted through the last 7 years of bull market.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #15472 on: November 01, 2016, 07:59:11 AM »
On a cool (maybe 40ºF) morning in New England.

CW1: How's that new $40K+ jeep?
CW2: It's ok
CW1: It has a heated steering wheel right?
CW2: Yup
CW1: It has a heated seats right?
CW2: Yup
CW1: That must be really nice
CW2: Yeah, it's really nice on really cold mornings like today
CW1: If my car had those, I might live in my car!

CW2 probably makes $50-60K/yr with a $40K Jeep.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15473 on: November 01, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »

Also on the lottery:

That's a fair point. Reminds me of the concept of "enough!" Simply put, I don't see any benefit in stressing out due to work once I have enough to live fairly comfortably (I'm planning to work until I have 50x expenses instead of 25x).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15474 on: November 01, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »

Also on the lottery:

$10M wouldn't do it for me; beachfront house on Maui is probably $5-10M itself. :-P

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15475 on: November 01, 2016, 10:26:56 AM »

Also on the lottery:

$10M wouldn't do it for me; beachfront house on Maui is probably $5-10M itself. :-P

Well played sir.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15476 on: November 01, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »

Also on the lottery:

I do tend to buy the 10 million state lottery for that reason.  But I only buy when I happen to have a dollar in my pocket and notice the machine and feel like playing.  Which works out to probably once or twice per year since I rarely buy anything with cash and end up with a dollar for change

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #15477 on: November 01, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »
Quote from: zephyr911 link=topic=2540.msg1280766#msg1280766
On Friday, a certain senior manager stopped by my cube while I was finishing up a draft of our weekly report. I told him that I could add the final piece of XYZ missing information to a report via a 5-minute phone call to my counterpart in the organization that produced that section.

My organization being what it is, people thinking the way they do, he decided it was better to stand over me while dictating a phone call to a higher-ranking guy in the same shop, then give up and drag us both to his office while they debated for half an hour over how to write... a single sentence.

FTR, I called the 30-min duration in my head, in advance - that is how predictably inefficient this guy is with time.

The single sentence, which I had already proposed in concept, and which really could not have ended up much differently than it did, was something along the lines of "we are awaiting a decision by (other agency) on this proposal." Because that's what was happening at the time, and nothing else. But, the more people you get involved in these things, the longer it takes.

Because these guys are both so much higher than I am in the chain, I knew in advance that I wouldn't really be part of the conversation. This could be really frustrating on some level, but I managed to take the same approach as above. At least I wasn't under the gun for any other deadlines, the chairs up there are comfy, and I was getting about forty bucks an hour to lean back in said chair and stay just awake enough to engage, if/when invited. No need to be mad, except as a taxpayer....

In my last job, we needed information from another department for a weekly report.

It could have been emailed instantly.

Instead, my boss, who had inefficiency down to an art form, would take a pen and notebook to another floor, sit down with the PA of the manager whose info we required, have them recite it aloud, write it down, come back to our floor, summon me and another colleague to a meeting, and recite the information with the expectation that we would write it down. Then he would ask me (the only woman) to type it up for the office.

This was not decades ago, it was earlier this year.

I (barely) tolerated this twice. His fragile ego would never permit him to listen to my suggestions, so I went around him to the PA and arranged for her to email me the info each week.

That freed up a couple of hours a week for him to smoke, get coffee and monologue.
BAHAHA! Nice work! That reminds me....

We have another senior manager who loves to call my director up into meetings to talk about products (which already exist in electronic form) and rattle off a bunch of changes while D struggles to keep up taking notes. Then D comes down, drags me off to a conference room, and tries to decipher everything he wrote down, usually with about a 50-75% success rate, and I have to make best guesses in MY notes, which I then take back to my desk and implement.

But usually, things are wrong and end up feeding back into another cycle of meetings.

Because a guy doesn't want to edit a file.

xD

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15478 on: November 01, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »

I have to disagree. Listening to the people I know who have bought lottery tickets, there is a entertainment or communal aspect to it. Watching the tube for the results live and then reading news stories of the lucky winner derives them benefit. Casinos are a clearer example of this phenomon. There are people who will go to a casino with twenty or one hundred dollars without the expectation to win but with the thought that they'll play on the dime slot machines or cheap tables and be entertained for the evening with free pop, free snacks, bright lights, and the buzz of lots of people laughing and having a good time.

And even though I'd never buy a lottery ticket, I'd contend that its not mathematically/economically insensible to buy a lottery ticket. For most people, what will they spend that 5$ bill on? Some useless tchotchke that will be thrown in the back of a closet. So the cost of a lottery ticket is functionally zero (that 5$ was going to be wasted anyway) and the potential payout is infinite. By infinite I mean that my big-name local lottery has an aftertax payout of 800x the average yearly aftertax salary in the area.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:43:47 PM by kayvent »

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15479 on: November 01, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
And even though I'd never buy a lottery ticket, I'd contend that its not mathematically/economically insensible to buy a lottery ticket. For most people, what will they spend that 5$ bill on? Some useless tchotchke that will be thrown in the back of a closet. So the cost of a lottery ticket is functionally zero (that 5$ was going to be wasted anyway) and the potential payout is infinite with reasonable unreasonable spending.
I don't know.  Perhaps you could make a similar argument about eating out or buying tchotchkes, but gambling can be a real addiction that people need to seek out therapy and treatment for. It seems like it's playing with fire to start gambling, even in small amounts, disposable income aside. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #15480 on: November 01, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »

Also on the lottery:

Well played sir.

... and THAT is why Mustachians aren't even tempted to play the small lotteries.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #15481 on: November 01, 2016, 05:21:28 PM »
I'll admit that I actually enjoy going to the Casino once a year on my birthday. It may be contrary to most views on the forums, but I enjoy giving myself 200-300 to enjoy on the blackjack tables. I never spend more than that, and I typically go home with 1k or so more than I started with by the end of the night. Then again, I grew up playing cards with friends and family.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15482 on: November 01, 2016, 05:55:35 PM »
I typically go home with 1k or so more than I started with by the end of the night.

Can't let that one slide, sorry.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15483 on: November 01, 2016, 08:03:42 PM »

Casinos are a clearer example of this phenomon. There are people who will go to a casino with twenty or one hundred dollars without the expectation to win but with the thought that they'll play on the dime slot machines or cheap tables and be entertained for the evening with free pop, free snacks, bright lights, and the buzz of lots of people laughing and having a good time.

Exactly what the wife and I do! We go to the boat 2-3 times a year, each with $100 with the expectation that we will spend it all. We rarely do (usually one of us will do alright and we leave when the other runs out), and we have a great night out. Occasionally we will leave while we're ahead - this last time I hit a $1200 slot jackpot - which is great, but we'd have been fine leaving with nothing. It's occasional entertainment, no worse than going out to dinner and a movie - at least for us.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15484 on: November 01, 2016, 09:18:08 PM »
I typically go home with 1k or so more than I started with by the end of the night.

I'm still sad you never did bet half a year's salary on Black.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #15485 on: November 02, 2016, 03:15:42 AM »

Lol, typically, but not always :)

I admit it's dumb, but we all have something dumb we enjoy.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15486 on: November 02, 2016, 05:16:48 AM »

Sure, I wasn't criticising the gambling, but the idea that you "typically" make money on it. :)

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #15487 on: November 02, 2016, 05:21:18 AM »

Sure, I wasn't criticising the gambling, but the idea that you "typically" make money on it. :)

You just gotta know when to walk away, and know when to run ;)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15488 on: November 02, 2016, 06:10:11 AM »
BAHAHA! Nice work! That reminds me....

We have another senior manager who loves to call my director up into meetings to talk about products (which already exist in electronic form) and rattle off a bunch of changes while D struggles to keep up taking notes. Then D comes down, drags me off to a conference room, and tries to decipher everything he wrote down, usually with about a 50-75% success rate, and I have to make best guesses in MY notes, which I then take back to my desk and implement.

But usually, things are wrong and end up feeding back into another cycle of meetings.

Because a guy doesn't want to edit a file.

xD

We get a lot of vague IT requests from Gov Civilians and Uniformed Personnel. We told them that if you want it done right 99.5% of the time, within budget, you have to submit an IT Requirements Document, and have it digitally signed. If you can't fill out a simple 2 page document, you can't get any work done. And this is an ITIL requirement, which the command implemented a few years back. So it is a requirement to fulfill your own requirements. Done! Significantly cut the amount of BS requests at every rank, everything centralized. Needs a GS-15 or equivalent sign off. This is the one time I see a positive of bureaucracy. The right stuff gets done, the unneeded stuff is weeded out. And if they complain it wasn't done to their requirement, you just point to the paperwork and show them their requirement and scope that they filled and signed. It's also a CYA move.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:14:50 AM by jinga nation »

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #15489 on: November 02, 2016, 09:52:11 AM »
Some of us actually do make a side hustle out of gambling.

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #15490 on: November 02, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »

I don't think that is how math works. 

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15491 on: November 02, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
Today two coworkers were showing off to each other their brand new SUV purchases to see who had the biggest/got the best deal.  The one with one kid bought a new Toyota Highlander.  The one with no kids at home got the Nissan Armada. 

There was also a really interesting conversation going on a couple weeks ago between two engineers in the office about 401k vs ESPP.  The one engineer doesn't participate at all in the 401k (we get 4% match) and was arguing that he'd rather do the ESPP (which he also doesn't currently participate in) than the 401k. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15492 on: November 02, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »

I don't think that is how math works.

In theory the more people that play, the more likely you are to split a jackpot than win it outright.

That said, I'd rather split $500M 3 ways than win $10M outright...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15493 on: November 02, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »

Depending on the type of gambling.  I've heard people claim they typically make money, or are able to somehow beat the house at craps, roulette, and slots.  Those people are liars, or are delusional.  Playing poker has been very profitable to me over the years though.  I've made a lot of money in basement games, and also playing online.  I've played at the casino too, but it's too high stakes and too much competition, and I make far less on a per hour basis so it's not worth it for me to pursue playing at a casino for profit.  I don't have a long enough track record of playing in casinos to be able to claim I could personally make money doing that either.  I stopped playing online when it was outlawed, and though I've heard of loopholes of being able to get back online and play on certain sites I have never bothered trying.  I don't play basement games anymore because the group of guys I used to play with slowly disbanded as everyone grew up.  I definitely paid a chunk of my tuition with poker profits though.

MichaelB

• Stubble
  • FIRE goal: April 2032
« Reply #15494 on: November 02, 2016, 01:03:46 PM »
My car died recently--it was a 2010 Hyundai Accent. Right now it's just me and my wife, with a baby on the way. I'm replacing it with a used hatchback (actually, another 2010 Hyundai Accent) with about 38k miles.

I've had multiple people ask me, when I was looking for cars, if I was getting an SUV because of the baby. Um, we're only having one.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #15495 on: November 02, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »
My car died recently--it was a 2010 Hyundai Accent. Right now it's just me and my wife, with a baby on the way. I'm replacing it with a used hatchback (actually, another 2010 Hyundai Accent) with about 38k miles.

I've had multiple people ask me, when I was looking for cars, if I was getting an SUV because of the baby. Um, we're only having one.
People are fucking insane, man.
My CW has a 4-Runner, a tiny wife and two kids aged 13 and 8. Wants to trade it for a Tahoe because it's too small for them. It's less than 2 years old...

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15496 on: November 02, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »

Wait... your car died at only 6 years old and you're replacing it with the same thing? Or was it wrecked?

Somewhat related, I'm thinking about trading in my wife's car for a cheaper SUV since she can't seem to miss parking stops and keeps ripping the bumper off. But it would be a car-based SUV (i.e. Highlander or RX330)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15497 on: November 02, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »

At some point I started refusing. At some point you can't just keep saying "Yes, boss!" You're supposed to have a job description - you have an agreement that you will take X money to do do Y job. Is it really OK to hire someone to be a print production manager and then tell them to do accounting and insurance instead?

I agree with the above posters -- barring illegal discrimination situations, yes it's OK to ask someone to do a different job.  This thread is making me think that if I ever run a business, every job posting will say "As an employee, you will be expected to complete any business task provided by management.  Your primary tasks will be XYZ."  If someone says "that's not in my job description," I'll pull the job posting out of my desk.  I guess I'd be a crappy manager.

Funny, this reminds me of when I was a highly paid summer associate (internship) at a law firm.  Now, I was never personally asked to get a partner coffee, but some other interns were and complained about it.  I'm like, hey guys, if they want to pay me $100/hour to get them coffee, that's fine by me.*

*I would understand if it was something like "make the girl get the coffee" but it wasn't like that.  More like "the adults are talking can this guy sitting here not doing anything grab some coffee?"

Heh, I wouldn't want to work there.  I'm at a point in my career where I won't do entry-level stuff anymore (like telephone tech support). If I was told I'm now in a call queue for phone support, I would quit - potentially on the spot.

I'd get someone coffee for $100/hour, though. I had no idea that interns anywhere were paid $200k/year.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15498 on: November 02, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »

I'd get someone coffee for $100/hour, though. I had no idea that interns anywhere were paid $200k/year.

It was a bit of an exaggeration, but law students at big firms are paid for the summer at an annualized rate of $180k (not 100% sure, I was paid a bit less as a summer).  But once you factor in that much of the summer involves long lunches and fun activities, you probably actually make over $100 per hour of real work (yes, you do some).

A popular joke going around New York City law firms this summer tells of an old man who is accidentally sent to hell, only to be surprised by its splendor and tranquility.

Suddenly, he finds himself back on earth, where he commits every possible sin until he is banished to hell again. But this time it is as cruel as he had once imagined and he asks the Devil what happened.

''Oh, you must have been here for our summer associate program,'' the Devil responds.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:22:14 PM by dragoncar »

MichaelB

• Stubble
  • FIRE goal: April 2032
« Reply #15499 on: November 02, 2016, 02:53:22 PM »

Wait... your car died at only 6 years old and you're replacing it with the same thing? Or was it wrecked?

It was a great car, I just drove the hell out of it. My driving habits prior to discovering MMM a few months ago were...not Mustachian. A few years of a 30 mile one way commute, plus a long distance relationship with a gf (now wife) in Western PA, while I was in Charlotte NC. I bought it with 35k miles, and managed to put over 120k miles on it in 5 years. So it had over 155k miles, and it needed a repair worth more than the car (timing belt broke, did engine damage). The car was a champ--I never put a dollar into that car for repairs, just maintenance. I probably could have gotten over 200k if I had known that they were still putting timing belts in 2010 models. I was setting aside money for a new car anyways, since my wife's car also had over 160k miles, so it seemed as good a time as any to replace it.