Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253031 times)

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #15050 on: September 25, 2016, 09:13:51 AM »
The "/s" was not his initials, but him indicating that he was closing a sarcasm tag.  :)

now that my joke seems to have run its course by causing a lot of responses ...

I knew he was being sarcastic :)   That's why I responded with a more formal written response taking in a joke about the cost of ownership on the land in which my bikes stood (a joke taken from people talking about how dryers take up valuable space)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15051 on: September 25, 2016, 10:49:21 AM »
we do towels once a month maybe every 3 weeks and do sheets i dont even know once every two months if that. i'm not doing alot of running in my sleep so i dont really sweat in bed.

In the summer here we do alot of laundry. Two changes of clothes per day b/c of the heat and sweating. One set for work, come home, change and active evening hours... Towels might need washing once or twice a week. The nose knows.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #15052 on: September 25, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »
With 102cm belly cirumference, your health is at stake.
80 cm is considered perfect for males.
Let's say your belly is a perfect circuit, so c=2*pi*r and A=pi*r^2
So that's 0.083m^2 vs. 0.051 m^2
One m^2 costs me 8.6€
So you save (pi*((102cm/ (2*pi))^2)-pi*((80cm/ (2*pi))^2) )* (8,6€/m^2) = 0.27 cent/month

That's standing up. Sitting down is another matter...

You can convert to your silly american units yourself :P

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15053 on: September 25, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
Raise your hand if you weren't being sarcastic

And for gods sake if you close your sarcasm tag, you gotta open it first.  Otherwise it's like mismatched parentheses that will drive me crazy forever)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15054 on: September 25, 2016, 01:04:25 PM »
...And for gods sake if you close your sarcasm tag, you gotta open it first.  Otherwise it's like mismatched parentheses that will drive me crazy forever)

And will also drive pedantic Internet researchers crazy forever, just like incomplete sentances and misspellings.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15055 on: September 25, 2016, 02:12:43 PM »
Was talking to nurse about healthy eating and a low carb diet because she was having avacado, eggs and bacon for lunch .

Turns out she cooks healthy every night for the whole family (she is also an ex personal trainer) but her husband only likes takewaway indian food and has it about 4 times a week.

He spends around £300 pounds a month on unhealthy takeways just for himself even though there is homecooked food available every night.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #15056 on: September 26, 2016, 07:59:38 AM »
My car (2000 Chevy Cavy with 204k miles) finally died last week with a blown engine so I was discussing with a coworker what I was planning to do:

Me: I'm going to try and find a cheap car to get me through the next year while I save up to buy my longer term car, about $1,000 I think.
CW: Well if you can't afford a new car you can always get a lease.
Me: ...

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15057 on: September 26, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
My car (2000 Chevy Cavy with 204k miles) finally died last week with a blown engine so I was discussing with a coworker what I was planning to do:

Me: I'm going to try and find a cheap car to get me through the next year while I save up to buy my longer term car, about $1,000 I think.

What is your longer term car though? If it isn't something "aspirational", why not just buy it now? Rates are pretty low and pretty readily available, it might not be the worst idea.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15058 on: September 26, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »

What is your longer term car though? If it isn't something "aspirational", why not just buy it now? Rates are pretty low and pretty readily available, it might not be the worst idea.

Because saving for a year at 3.5% is better than paying for a year at 1.5% (plus fees).

this greatly depends on the cost of owning the cheaper car for just one year.  where are you getting your guaranteed 3.5% for a year didnt know that existed out there right now?  personally i finance even with the cash in the bank b/c over the long term i will get market returns that would beat it so i have no issue with financing.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15059 on: September 26, 2016, 09:00:38 AM »

Because saving for a year at 3.5% is better than paying for a year at 1.5% (plus fees).

this greatly depends on the cost of owning the cheaper car for just one year.

This. The cheaper cars that I've ever bought all needed *something* within a year. Whether it was tires or an AC, or in one case every fluid changed, I've never spent less than $500 in the first 6 months on a cheaper car--not including oil changes or gas. None of them would scare me, but with the timing he mentioned it just doesn't make that much sense to me. I was looking at doing the same, and when I crunched all the numbers it didn't make sense to get a stop-gap car. So we got a long term car instead (for $7,000)

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #15060 on: September 26, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »

this greatly depends on the cost of owning the cheaper car for just one year.

This. The cheaper cars that I've ever bought all needed *something* within a year. Whether it was tires or an AC, or in one case every fluid changed, I've never spent less than $500 in the first 6 months on a cheaper car--not including oil changes or gas. None of them would scare me, but with the timing he mentioned it just doesn't make that much sense to me. I was looking at doing the same, and when I crunched all the numbers it didn't make sense to get a stop-gap car. So we got a long term car instead (for $7,000)

@mtn - longer term car will probably be something in the $5,000-10,000 range with lower mileage that should live a long time. 

@boarder42 - this is always a concern when looking at buying a really cheap car. My hope is that with the limited miles that I will put on it per year at less than 3,000 miles per year, that I will be able to avoid many repairs that could happen. Also, if the car continues to run well with limited to no issues than I will keep on driving it. Currently my only "wants" for my stop-gap car is to: be reliable (as a $1k car can be),  have a/c as well as heat, and the tires be in relatively good shape. Beyond that - anything is fine with me.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15061 on: September 26, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
Go looking for unloved cars. I mean cars that were from a styling POV unpopular. Certain Buicks and Chevy four door cars for example. Same bones as some of the more popular models but not worth much.

Maybe look for the more basic trim groups. A car that didn't come with the Buck Rogers engine and entertainment package but still came with a solid engine/transmission and air conditioning.

My car didn't get the rear window defroster or the aluminum wheels but it has pwr windows, air, and power steering. Comfortable enough for a commuter vehicle. We "upgraded" the stereo to a modern off the shelf AM/FM/CD stereo when the original stereo's display went south. Car runs and drives great. Yep - it needed some maintenance at the start to make me happy.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:57:41 PM by Joe Lucky »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15062 on: September 26, 2016, 02:56:32 PM »
My car didn't get the rear window defroster
Around here that would be a summer car.  In winter the rear window defroster is a necessity.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15063 on: September 26, 2016, 03:08:51 PM »
Go looking for unloved cars. I mean cars that were from a styling POV unpopular. Certain Buicks and Chevy four door cars for example. Same bones as some of the more popular models but not worth much.

Maybe look for the more basic trim groups. A car that didn't come with the Buck Rogers engine and entertainment package but still came with a solid engine/transmission and air conditioning.

My car didn't get the rear window defroster or the aluminum wheels but it has pwr windows, air, and power steering. Comfortable enough for a commuter vehicle. We "upgraded" the stereo to a modern off the shelf AM/FM/CD stereo when the original stereo's display went south. Car runs and drives great. Yep - it needed some maintenance at the start to make me happy.

Both of my kids were gifted big Buicks from their grandparents, during their high school and university years.  The cars rode and handled like living rooms with wheels, and I imagine that they were horrendously uncool. They were also dirt cheap to operate, and reliable as an anvil.  We ended up disposing of one, after it gave everything it had, and the other sold to a school janitor, who though he was all, that, and a box of chocolates, as he drove off, LOL.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15064 on: September 26, 2016, 03:46:10 PM »
He spends around £300 pounds a month on unhealthy takeways just for himself even though there is homecooked food available every night.

Wow, he spends more on takeaways than I spend annually...

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15065 on: September 26, 2016, 11:20:39 PM »
Talking with a work friend yesterday.   His son has been living at home for a couple of year (working part time / full time) since graduation, and finally has applied and will go to school in January.

He mentioned that his truck (Ford 350) was totalled in a fire (one of the batteries ignited and it melted / burned up in the driveway), and his son was exceptionally disappointed to not drive it any more.  (Son paid for gas, but no other costs that I am aware of).   In fact, friend is not replacing truck because they do not NEED a truck anymore.

So, the son decides to buy his own truck, because driving one of the other family cars is "not his style".   My friend coached him on the high cost of such a vehicle, and the fact that he, as a young adult in school and working at a restaurant, does not NEED a truck. 

Great?  yah?

End of story -- Friend has cosigned a loan with son for a NEW (I think, from a dealer) FORD 350 truck.    Friend helped him cost it out, and it will cost $1200/month for payments, parking, insurance and DIESEL to drive 38km each way to school.....!!!!!

Maybe I shoujld be content that my friend can math, and did not buy it as a family car that the son only uses....

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15066 on: September 27, 2016, 01:25:00 AM »
Oh dear god $1,200 a month is enormous. You can buy a house* for that amount of monthly payment.

*Except in Sydney :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15067 on: September 27, 2016, 01:55:50 AM »
Oh dear god $1,200 a month is enormous. You can buy a house* for that amount of monthly payment.

*Except in Sydney :)
1200 is more then social security in any and every country of the world. You know, that thing people like the car payer probably say is a waste of money ;)
I mean, as a CEO of "Farm Cars Inc." you maybe have to drive such a car, but everyone else...

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15068 on: September 27, 2016, 06:59:58 AM »
At least he didn't cosign the loan, so he's not 100% responsible for paying it.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15069 on: September 27, 2016, 08:40:24 AM »
Ha, no, thats a double.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15070 on: September 27, 2016, 08:45:07 AM »
You guys are cracking me up!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15071 on: September 27, 2016, 09:44:32 AM »
Just wait till we crack out the Triple, Quadruple, and Mega Facepalm pictures...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15072 on: September 27, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
It's amusing to me how many folks here are so proud of their judging other folks based on their external appearances.

It reminds me of the "why can't I find any frugal person to date?" thread elsewhere. Maybe everyone has written off all the Mustachians as consumeristic because they have lots of computers/bikes :P

This entire subforum's premise is judging people, so what do you really expect? :P

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #15073 on: September 27, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »
$1200/month is over half of MMM's budget!
It's no wonder the general population is convinced that (early) retirement is damn near impossible...

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #15074 on: September 27, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
Just wait till we crack out the Triple, Quadruple, and Mega Facepalm pictures...

Or the third-party facepalm, which is pretty much the point of the whole thread (at least when it's not about how sweaty the sheets on your kitchen table are because of the black box).

bigbenreiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15075 on: September 27, 2016, 10:02:57 PM »
Regarding a 100 year flood zone and a 30 year mortgage, the odds of the house flooding while being owned by the bank is 30%. I know it's obvious when it's spelled out, but most people don't put two and two together. They only are unhappy when the lender requires them to purchase flood insurance.

It doesn't quite work out like that.  If you own a house for 100 years you don't have 100% chance of it flooding.  Just like if you roll a die once, you have a 1/6 chance of rolling a 6, but two rolls doesn't equal 2/6 odds, or else 6 rolls would be 6/6 (100%) chance of rolling a 6.

You're right, but if the flood has a 1/100 chance of happening in any given year and you have the place under mortgage for 30 years the likelyhood of not having a flood would be ~.739 =  .9930 so there would still be a .261 probability of having a 100 year flood in a group of 30 years. So the bank would still have over a 25% chance of needing that insurance to kick in.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #15076 on: September 28, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »
At least he didn't cosign the loan, so he's not 100% responsible for paying it.

Lulz for realz.

WTF is wrong with people?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15077 on: September 28, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »
[quote author=dragoncar link=topic=2540.msgWas talking to nurse about healthy eating and a low carb diet because she was having avacado, eggs and bacon for lunch .

Turns out she cooks healthy every night for the whole family (she is also an ex personal trainer) but her husband only likes takewaway indian food and has it about 4 times a week.

1239659#msg1239659 date=1474662378]
Yeah you people do too much laundry.  Is this a learned trait?  Did you grow up in a household where it was common to do a load every day?

Hang your towel properly so t dries
Have sex on the kitchen table or shower

my kitchen table wont fit in my washer though
Was talking to nurse about healthy eating and a low carb diet because she was having avacado, eggs and bacon for lunch .

I bet these people clean their kitchen table every day too.  Disgusting waste of resources

Filthy wasteful people.  They probably clean the table after they bang on it too.  Ban them from the forum for their complete disregard for the planet!!!
[/quote]

A true Mustachian mitigates the costs of cleaning up after sex by videotaping the action and charging per view.

Also, what's up with all these fancy fuckers who own tables!  What's the matter Richie Rich, too good to eat out of the pot on the floor?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15078 on: September 29, 2016, 07:30:09 AM »
My car didn't get the rear window defroster
Around here that would be a summer car.  In winter the rear window defroster is a necessity.

JC Whitney BABY! ;)

Once upon a time I remember seeing kits where you could add defroster lines to an existing rear window.

But yeah - up north this car would have never gotten off the dealer lot. Its a weird piece of equipment to leave off frankly. What did it save the car's manufacturer? $10? Were they that price sensitive? I have had some truly basic cars that still came with a rear window defroster. These cars did not have power windows or intermittent wipers but by golly they had a clear rear window on a frosty morning! ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:38:01 AM by Joe Lucky »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15079 on: September 29, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »

Or the third-party facepalm, which is pretty much the point of the whole thread (at least when it's not about how sweaty the sheets on your kitchen table are because of the black box).

DUDE! Why does your hand smell like that???? On the other hand - don't tell me... Okay?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15080 on: September 29, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
Yesterday I noticed that the top three lines on mine were much more effective than the rest of the defroster. Uh oh... I seem to recall a kit that let you fix a broken line but haven't even started to research yet. Right now I'm lying to myself and saying that the top 6" of the window were in the sun while the car was in the driveway, so that bit got a head start.

Sounds plausible, right?
That's definitely a thing.  It's a "pen" of sorts I believe.  I remember a friend of mine fixing a line on his Jeep a while back and he said it was pretty easy.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15081 on: September 29, 2016, 11:21:41 AM »
I recently saw this repair pen at an auto parts store. So yes, it exists. Locally and from any one of thousands of internet retailers. It amounts to a conductive paint. As always clean, clean, clean per the instructions before you attempt the repair. Let us know how it worked for you if you do this. I've had cars as old as the 60s and they had defroster grids. But not this late-90s Chevy! ;)

I like to think I see why GM got into trouble. Well, GM and the rest of the domestic brands.

They were kind of stingy off and on all through the 70s/80s/ and 90s. I remember 80s cars (different brands) where the radio was an non-present option but there was a working air conditioner. I had an AMC wagon once that did not have a back seat! It only had a plywood platform in place of the back seat. Clearly a former fleet car. Also drove alot of cars that amounted to four wheels and an engine and not much else. Plenty of hints that there were versions with all sorts of options but not on your car.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:27:37 AM by Joe Lucky »

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #15082 on: September 29, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
it will cost $1200/month for payments, parking, insurance and DIESEL to drive 38km each way to school.....!!!!!

Maybe I shoujld be content that my friend can math, and did not buy it as a family car that the son only uses....

Holy shit. $1200/month... My ENTIRE budget after taxes and saving are taken out is only $1400/month. For a RIDICULOUSLY comfortable life, completely independent of my parents.

At the point where any (hypothetical) kid of mine could pull together $1200/month to blow on a fucking truck, he'd no longer be welcome to live in my house.

I'm so blown away right now, all I can do is repeat: holy shit!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15083 on: September 29, 2016, 04:39:37 PM »
Seen over a work lunch at a fast service place:

Woman in scrubs and sneakers and a new pink Michael Khors (?sp?) bag.

It did NOT match the outfit, so why?????just why????

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #15084 on: September 29, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »

Better than buying a bag just to match your scrubs.  I would do this.  Got a two year old Fossil that looks new and I wear it with everything even if it doesn't match.  Matching is for non-mustachians.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #15085 on: September 29, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »

I like to think I see why GM got into trouble. Well, GM and the rest of the domestic brands.

They were kind of stingy off and on all through the 70s/80s/ and 90s. I remember 80s cars (different brands) where the radio was an non-present option but there was a working air conditioner. I had an AMC wagon once that did not have a back seat! It only had a plywood platform in place of the back seat. Clearly a former fleet car. Also drove alot of cars that amounted to four wheels and an engine and not much else. Plenty of hints that there were versions with all sorts of options but not on your car.

A Gremlin maybe? Back seats (among other things) were optional on early AMC Gremlins, allowing them to be marketed as "the lowest priced car in America!" Actually this practice was common at least thru the early 50's; such cars were called business coupes and apart from being price leaders were popular w/ salesmen and others who had more cause to carry stuff than people. Might not be a bad option for a lot of people today.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15086 on: September 29, 2016, 05:31:18 PM »
Okay, after months of covertly observing a coworker, I have enough material to share this.

About 9 months ago this guy, let's call him Mario, was transferred from another project onto my team. Now for this story to make sense you have to understand that there is a huge disparity in skill among employees at this company. While we are all developing software, some projects are real engineering who have wickedly smart people working on them, and some other are like janitorial maintenance of crappy applications. Mario's previous project was the latter.

After 6 months of my team, it becomes clear that he is a terrible software engineer. His skills after two years at this company still haven't reached what you could reasonably expect from a CompSci student doing a summer internship before his senior year. Either this either wasn't apparent previously because it wasn't needed in his previous project, or his manager swept it under the rug. Mario is also highly delusional and convinced that he is hot shit, despite the fact that we basically kicked him off our team to move him to another team within the same project where he could hopefully gain from a gentler learning curve doing less cutting edge stuff.

He is also a member of the local toastmasters chapter, which, upon further inspection and attendance of the after-mentioned session that I attended, is about as interesting and mentally stimulating as a trip to the DMV. Two months ago he made a presentation and invited us all to watch, where he basically bragged about being financially responsible and buying a home at "only" 26 years of age. Now to his credit, the idea is that he is getting roommates and basically living for free (not sure if that's actually panned out yet). Upon pressing for details, he revealed that he is doing the 3.5% percent down mortgage with high PMI... on a 120k house.

Today at lunch it was revealed that he has been put on a performance improvement plan a few weeks ago. He is convinced that they have an axe to grind against him, and totally doesn't realize that this means he's about to get fired (as he should). Instead, he went and purchased a $16,000 sports motorcycle. For those of you who know nothing about motorcycles, that is a ridiculously nice bike. He is paying over $500/month for payments and full coverage insurance, and doesn't know his interest rate.

When I not-so-subtly tried to warn him that performance improvement plans can mean firing, he dismissed it saying he would get unemployment insurance. Unemployment insurance caps out at about $1,300/month in this state.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:18:55 AM by Paul der Krake »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15087 on: September 29, 2016, 06:05:35 PM »
Instead, he went and purchased a $16,000 sports motorcycle. For those of you who know nothing about motorcycles, that is a ridiculously nice bike.
Is it a Ducati?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15088 on: September 29, 2016, 06:11:26 PM »
Unemployment insurance caps out at about $1,300/month in this state.

Sounds like he can afford a second motorcycle, then!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15089 on: September 29, 2016, 06:17:30 PM »
Instead, he went and purchased a $16,000 sports motorcycle. For those of you who know nothing about motorcycles, that is a ridiculously nice bike.
Is it a Ducati?
It is. Mario has italian roots, so it made sense to go with Ducati, you see.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15090 on: September 29, 2016, 10:47:40 PM »

Because she's a doctor and that's her one really nice bag.  Since she spent the money on that, she doesn't see the point in having to spend more money to buy more purses just for the purpose of matching her outfit.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:49:28 PM by LeRainDrop »

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15091 on: September 29, 2016, 10:53:52 PM »
Now for this story to make sense you have to understand that there is a huge disparity in skill among employees at this company. While we are all developing software, some projects are real engineering who have wickedly smart people working on them, and some other are like janitorial maintenance of crappy applications. Mario's previous project was the former.

Do you mean the latter?

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15092 on: September 30, 2016, 02:43:38 AM »
Now for this story to make sense you have to understand that there is a huge disparity in skill among employees at this company. While we are all developing software, some projects are real engineering who have wickedly smart people working on them, and some other are like janitorial maintenance of crappy applications. Mario's previous project was the former.

Do you mean the latter?

I believe OP meant former, but that he is very bad at the projects that require real engineering and he would be better suited for the janitorial computer work.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15093 on: September 30, 2016, 03:18:09 AM »
Oops, I meant the latter. Editing original post.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15094 on: September 30, 2016, 03:52:45 AM »
Oops, I meant the latter. Editing original post.

It's a good story!  Poor Mario.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15095 on: September 30, 2016, 08:39:47 AM »
Okay, after months of covertly observing a coworker, I have enough material to share this.

About 9 months ago this guy, let's call him Mario, was transferred from another project onto my team. Now for this story to make sense you have to understand that there is a huge disparity in skill among employees at this company. While we are all developing software, some projects are real engineering who have wickedly smart people working on them, and some other are like janitorial maintenance of crappy applications. Mario's previous project was the latter.

After 6 months of my team, it becomes clear that he is a terrible software engineer. His skills after two years at this company still haven't reached what you could reasonably expect from a CompSci student doing a summer internship before his senior year. Either this either wasn't apparent previously because it wasn't needed in his previous project, or his manager swept it under the rug. Mario is also highly delusional and convinced that he is hot shit, despite the fact that we basically kicked him off our team to move him to another team within the same project where he could hopefully gain from a gentler learning curve doing less cutting edge stuff.

He is also a member of the local toastmasters chapter, which, upon further inspection and attendance of the after-mentioned session that I attended, is about as interesting and mentally stimulating as a trip to the DMV. Two months ago he made a presentation and invited us all to watch, where he basically bragged about being financially responsible and buying a home at "only" 26 years of age. Now to his credit, the idea is that he is getting roommates and basically living for free (not sure if that's actually panned out yet). Upon pressing for details, he revealed that he is doing the 3.5% percent down mortgage with high PMI... on a 120k house.

Today at lunch it was revealed that he has been put on a performance improvement plan a few weeks ago. He is convinced that they have an axe to grind against him, and totally doesn't realize that this means he's about to get fired (as he should). Instead, he went and purchased a $16,000 sports motorcycle. For those of you who know nothing about motorcycles, that is a ridiculously nice bike. He is paying over $500/month for payments and full coverage insurance, and doesn't know his interest rate.

When I not-so-subtly tried to warn him that performance improvement plans can mean firing, he dismissed it saying he would get unemployment insurance. Unemployment insurance caps out at about $1,300/month in this state.
Mario is primo first-level management material. Engineers who aren't good on the technical side but love public speaking end up there.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #15096 on: September 30, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »
A coworker got rear ended and his car was totaled. He said "they're only going to give me $8k for it so now I'm going to have to have another car payment again and I'm trying to buy a house!". I said $8k is plenty to get you a good reliable car. The look of disdain on his face is was priceless as he exclaimed "I couldn't drive something THAT cheap!" Mind you he only makes $55k a year and the car he totaled cost him $12k a few years ago so it's not like that would be a major downgrade. Even the nonmustachian coworkers in the room where laughing about it.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15097 on: September 30, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »
doesn't know his interest rate.

I think this is the part that hurts my brain the most.   

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15098 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:24 AM »
doesn't know his interest rate.

I think this is the part that hurts my brain the most.

I don't know the interest rate on any of my credit cards.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15099 on: September 30, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »
"makes only 55K".... my coworker makes 22K has a 24% car note.... don't know which is worse--- not knowing or going with 24% and not trying to refi it....  and what's this "only" stuff anyway....
Software engineering is a different realm of reality when it comes to salaries.