Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252839 times)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14700 on: September 03, 2016, 05:38:47 AM »

As mentioned in the inheritance thread I literally don't understand some of these scenarios. I make over 5K/month and when I applied for overdraft at my bank they offered me a 250$ limit. It charges 24%/year interest and has a 5$/day fee if the overdraft lasts longer than one calendar day.

I understand that usury and interest collecting is how these banks make make money but at the same time I can't understand how they are willing to lend such grave amounts to people.
Banks have pretty much given up on ending to people, except for mortgages, credit cards are much more profitable for them than a personal loan.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14701 on: September 03, 2016, 05:55:57 AM »

As mentioned in the inheritance thread I literally don't understand some of these scenarios. I make over 5K/month and when I applied for overdraft at my bank they offered me a 250$ limit. It charges 24%/year interest and has a 5$/day fee if the overdraft lasts longer than one calendar day.

I understand that usury and interest collecting is how these banks make make money but at the same time I can't understand how they are willing to lend such grave amounts to people.
Banks have pretty much given up on ending to people, except for mortgages, credit cards are much more profitable for them than a personal loan.

And I guess I am mistaken. They make x% of each transaction on the credit card. So usury, interest, and a middle-man fee ;)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #14702 on: September 03, 2016, 06:48:49 AM »

And I guess I am mistaken. They make x% of each transaction on the credit card. So usury, interest, and a middle-man fee ;)
I deal with a few hundred business bank accounts daily.  I'm firmly convinced by what I see that a *huge* chunk of what banks earn comes from absolutely outrageous fees on business accounts.

Regular Guy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14703 on: September 03, 2016, 08:41:39 AM »
From a single Captain (Army) I work with who had saved $100,000 and had it all in his checking account "I'm going to buy a Porsche 911 but I'm bummed I can't afford the turbo"

Another Captain I work with who is married was looked at used $80,000 Aston Martins because he wants a "fun car".

Deployment money goes to some people's heads.  Guess I'm boring for saving/investing mine.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14704 on: September 03, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
From a single Captain (Army) I work with who had saved $100,000 and had it all in his checking account "I'm going to buy a Porsche 911 but I'm bummed I can't afford the turbo"

Another Captain I work with who is married was looked at used $80,000 Aston Martins because he wants a "fun car".
At least they aren't in jobs where the inability to make a plan with any sort of strategic foresight is important

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #14705 on: September 03, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »

At least they aren't in jobs where the inability to make a plan with any sort of strategic foresight is important

Made me LMAO for real and I woke up both cats.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #14706 on: September 03, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »

Isn't military command supposed to require some kind of aptitude in logistics and strategy?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14707 on: September 03, 2016, 06:41:54 PM »

Isn't military command supposed to require some kind of aptitude in logistics and strategy?
I suppose they could be in procurement.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #14708 on: September 03, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »

I suppose they could be in procurement.
In which case, after they retire from the military and cash in on the quid pro quo job offer from one of the companies they made sure to over-buy from, $100k on a car is going to be chicken feed.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #14709 on: September 04, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »

Deployment money goes to some people's heads.  Guess I'm boring for saving/investing mine.
To be completely honest, I've always wanted an Aston Martin...
Just two days ago, my girlfriend and I talked about it, and figured that given our current savings rate, we could purchase one and it would only delay retirement by about a year (depending on if new or used, and what model, obviously).
Maybe in 7-10 years, when I'll be FI, I'll consider doing that, but I hope I won't...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14710 on: September 04, 2016, 03:32:20 PM »

Too funny!  I woke up all four cats and startled my wife!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14711 on: September 04, 2016, 04:49:01 PM »

Is there a word for the type of laugh that jumps out of your mouth in an inappropriate place (work, church, near 4 sleeping cats)?  They usually escape in a short burst before you're able to contain and hide it.   

There should be an associated word that means the same thing but ends with uncontrollable shaking of the body until the laugh dies internally. 

I really need these words to describe what happens to me at work.   

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #14712 on: September 04, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »

Is there a word for the type of laugh that jumps out of your mouth in an inappropriate place (work, church, near 4 sleeping cats)?  They usually escape in a short burst before you're able to contain and hide it.   

There should be an associated word that means the same thing but ends with uncontrollable shaking of the body until the laugh dies internally. 

For the first one, I think "guffaw" might work.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14713 on: September 04, 2016, 07:32:37 PM »

I think with guffaw there is an openness that you can't have at work.  The laugh is contained and reined in. 

How about Guff-arble?  guffarble?  And possibly guffarble-quake? 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14714 on: September 04, 2016, 08:03:03 PM »

I can't think of a single word, but the phrase "sides heaving with barely-suppressed laughter" comes to mind.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14715 on: September 05, 2016, 02:07:35 AM »

I think with guffaw there is an openness that you can't have at work.  The laugh is contained and reined in. 

I compel you to search for the video 'giggle loop' from the show Coupling. (I'm at work so can't search and link).

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14716 on: September 05, 2016, 02:31:22 AM »

I compel you to search for the video 'giggle loop' from the show Coupling. (I'm at work so can't search and link).

I was about to comment the same thing

https://www.snotr.com/video/6244/The_Giggle_Loop

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14717 on: September 05, 2016, 02:55:15 AM »

Corpsing (as in, an actor getting the giggles on stage while playing a corpse).  Of which the classic example (you do not need to understand cricket for this one)-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsVTpX7LdZQ

csdreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14718 on: September 05, 2016, 04:37:48 AM »

I deal with a few hundred business bank accounts daily.  I'm firmly convinced by what I see that a *huge* chunk of what banks earn comes from absolutely outrageous fees on business accounts.

Many of us have our own business. I believe my biz acct (no monthly mins or fees, NSF is $29, after my 10 or 20 paper checks is 10 cents to cash) is good with fees. Would you please go into more details about these outrageous fees.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14719 on: September 05, 2016, 05:01:21 AM »
I too see outrageous business bank fees.

I use my UK bank for both business and personal accounts.

Recently, on my personal account, I was offered 3% cashback for all Direct Debits, for a monthly fee of £3. I get about £8 a month back. So £5 a month, given to me, for free.

Recently, on our business account (high turnover, many transactions), I was told our average monthly charges would go up from c. £9 a month, to nearer £19 a month.

So I definitely see it being weighted against businesses, with them subsidising 'free' or, 'more than free' personal bank accounts.

As an example, the business bank account will soon charge a fee for automated payments in or out. These used to be free, with charges for withdrawing over the counter, or for banking a cheque. They wanted to encourage people to switch to methods cheaper for them to process. Now everyone's made the switch, they've lost the revenue the 'older' ways generated, so they are charging for the new ways.

35p per automated transaction in or out
18p per BACS payment (this makes payday even more expensive!)
70p per £100 for cash in or out
70p per transaction over the counter
minimum charge £5 a month

Yes, I've looked at switching. Now clients pay into our account directly, switching becomes more of an issue. It seems the only way to get 'free' business banking is to switch every 12 months - it's not worth inconveniencing our clients with new bank details. I can't find anywhere with a long-term offering that's substantially cheaper.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #14720 on: September 05, 2016, 08:31:40 AM »

Many of us have our own business. I believe my biz acct (no monthly mins or fees, NSF is $29, after my 10 or 20 paper checks is 10 cents to cash) is good with fees. Would you please go into more details about these outrageous fees.
I was referring more to large corporate accounts.  The company I work for has over 1,000 stores, every one of them deposits all of their cash into a bank account every day.  Some share accounts between 2 to 300+ stores, some have individual accounts in smaller banks.  The monthly fees per store range from $0 to well over $300.  In addition the automated systems contribute to bounces, so there are a trickle of bounce fees most days.

Comparing that to us, we have a small business that's borderline hobby, and we do have a free small business checking account.  Large corporations are a whole different world in banking!

noexcuses227

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14721 on: September 05, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »
Just finished reading 303 pages of posts!

co-worker #1 stories. 

Car 1. Paid for in cash. With a loan from a 401K loan!  Thinking to myself, that is not really paid for then is it. Instead of a 4% car loan you f---ed your retirement up for a Used Hyundai.
Car 2. Took out a 5 year loan to buy out their SUV that their lease is up on.  8 years of payments on a SUV.  Arrrgh  Both of these car decisions within last 60 days.

Bitches about not having money all the time.  Makes 120K+   Eats out all the time, we don't have time to cook. She is a SAHM and can't be bothered to cook or pack a sandwich to go to a kids sports event.  Double starbucks addiction. Fair amount of other debt (he mentioned in passing)

Fairly intelligent guy but he doesn't see that all of this stuff is related.  I have made a couple of comments about how well Dave Ramseys plan worked for me to get rid of debt several years ago, he says sounds like a good idea. Then next conversation is him/her about spending money. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14722 on: September 05, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »

Seriously?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14723 on: September 05, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

Seriously?

What else are you supposed to do at work?

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14724 on: September 05, 2016, 05:12:56 PM »

Seriously?

Listen to people's poor machinations on how they manage their finances?

noexcuses227

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14725 on: September 05, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »

Seriously?

Listen to people's poor machinations on how they manage their finances?

Clarification. I started reading this thread a long time ago and came back to it and got caught up.

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #14726 on: September 05, 2016, 08:03:04 PM »

I think the word you are looking for is Garfunkel.

Art Garfunkel.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14727 on: September 06, 2016, 09:38:16 AM »
One friend was in her 40s and Chinese.  Each year, she and her husband and daughter would make homemade potstickers.  Then my Mexican friend would bring tamales or enchiladas (that his mom made).

I told the single guys to bring chips, soda, cookies, or ice cream. 

One year, my other single friend (early 30's) - well, she went to Costco, bought a bag of meatballs, bought sauce, and put it all in a crockpot in the morning.  My Chinese friend, who had spent 3 hours making potstickers...well, that was the last time she made potstickers for the potluck.

If one of my coworkers had told me at a potluck, as a "single guy" to just bring cheap crap to a potluck I would have been rather annoyed.

And I don't understand your lament of the person bringing meatballs/sauce and a crockpot. Crockpots are nearly perfect for work potlucks.

Yeah, that seems super sexist to be mad at the woman for bringing pre-made meatballs, but only expecting single men to bring bring pre-made crap.  By extension, presumably the married men are expected to press their wives to make stuff for a potluck they won't even attend?
Oh, it wasn't meant to be insulting.  Let me explain: the two 20 -something year old guys came up to me the morning of the potluck, and said "I forgot, and I can't cook anyway, can I bring chips or ice cream?"  And I said "that's fine!" (I would have been fine if they'd brought plates and cups too.)  Plus: I love chips and never buy them.  I like to have them at potlucks.  And if someone else buys them, and there are leftovers, then I am safe and don't have to take them home.

The fun of a potluck, to me, is getting to know my coworkers and trying new things.  I had no problem with the meatballs (and make stuff like that myself for potlucks sometimes), but I also sometimes like to cook or bake for these things.  It's kind of weird.  Like: fruit.  Last week I took a fruit tray to a potluck.  For some reason, I cannot bring myself to buy a fruit bowl for $10 at a store.  But I have no problem buying a basket of berries, a pineapple, and a cantaloupe and doing it myself.  And I don't know why, exactly - maybe I get to control the quality of the fruit?

In any event, time went on and eventually, the potluck became "everyone picking something up  at Costco".  Now, I love Costco, but a potluck of 100% Costco isn't really fun.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14728 on: September 06, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »
One friend was in her 40s and Chinese.  Each year, she and her husband and daughter would make homemade potstickers.  Then my Mexican friend would bring tamales or enchiladas (that his mom made).

I told the single guys to bring chips, soda, cookies, or ice cream. 

One year, my other single friend (early 30's) - well, she went to Costco, bought a bag of meatballs, bought sauce, and put it all in a crockpot in the morning.  My Chinese friend, who had spent 3 hours making potstickers...well, that was the last time she made potstickers for the potluck.

If one of my coworkers had told me at a potluck, as a "single guy" to just bring cheap crap to a potluck I would have been rather annoyed.

And I don't understand your lament of the person bringing meatballs/sauce and a crockpot. Crockpots are nearly perfect for work potlucks.

Yeah, that seems super sexist to be mad at the woman for bringing pre-made meatballs, but only expecting single men to bring bring pre-made crap.  By extension, presumably the married men are expected to press their wives to make stuff for a potluck they won't even attend?

I think you're missing the point--he was expecting the woman to bring chips or similar. Instead she brought something that required no effort and one-upped the potstickers.

That is how I interpretted it, anyways.
*I* wasn't lamenting the meatballs.
*Potsticker woman* was lamenting the meatballs. 

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14729 on: September 06, 2016, 10:04:35 AM »
In any event, time went on and eventually, the potluck became "everyone picking something up  at Costco".  Now, I love Costco, but a potluck of 100% Costco isn't really fun.

Because my company is cheap For some reason, my boss thinks potlucks are a great idea for holiday departmental lunches.  He throws a fit when a bunch of us just pitch in to buy something like a sandwich tray or pizzas.  It turns out when half of the department is hosting family at said holiday a day or two later, nobody wants to cook yet another item and have to lug it back and forth to work.  For some reason he doesn't have an issue with the 74 bags of chips or store bought cookies that the young folks bring in.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14730 on: September 06, 2016, 10:27:39 AM »

I was about to suggest "giggle loop"!!

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14731 on: September 06, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »
So, a group of neighbors were shooting the breeze this weekend.  One couple is in the process of getting an in-ground pool put in.  Good for them, if that's how they want to spend their money.  They're obviously excited about it, and everyone was being neighborly and saying how awesome it will be once it's done, asking about how they were going to decorate the yard around it, making jokes about who will pee in it first, etc.

However, the wife half of a couple who has been openly pining for a pool for the 4+ years they've lived in the neighborhood, says she can't even be happy for them because she's pissed that she doesn't have her pool yet.  Then, her husband then proceeds to publicly declare that he cashed out his state government pension & retirement savings from his last job when they moved here for his dream job.  He needed the money to put the down payment on their house and supplement his income (she doesn't work) because he took a significant pay cut to take the job, and then he tells us what he makes per year in his federal job.  He was lamenting that it reset the timer on when he can get a pension, so he's got another 16 years or so to hit the 20 necessary for his new government pension.  His wife then tells the group that he's got around $70K in his retirement account and she wants him to borrow against it to pay for a pool.  He very seriously tells her to go get a f-ing job.  Luckily, one of the neighbors quickly changed the subject.

So, when we get home, I tell the wife how I'm shocked at that whole conversation not only because it took place, but also because I would be freaking out if I only had $70K in our retirement accounts at that age (he's a few years older than us).  I also used the opportunity to point out how lucky she is to be married to me, because I have manners and have us in a much better financial position. ;)  She then tells me that the husband had approached the pool builder husband earlier in the day to ask how much they were spending on it because he was sick of the wife nagging him about it and he needed to shut her up.  For a little context, this couple does a poor job of maintaining their existing yard and house, so I can only assume that they can't really afford to maintain a pool, let alone the construction of one.  Nevertheless, I am willing to bet that next spring there will be a pool going into their yard...

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14732 on: September 06, 2016, 12:44:45 PM »
So, a group of neighbors were shooting the breeze this weekend.  One couple is in the process of getting an in-ground pool put in.  Good for them, if that's how they want to spend their money.  They're obviously excited about it, and everyone was being neighborly and saying how awesome it will be once it's done, asking about how they were going to decorate the yard around it, making jokes about who will pee in it first, etc.

However, the wife half of a couple who has been openly pining for a pool for the 4+ years they've lived in the neighborhood, says she can't even be happy for them because she's pissed that she doesn't have her pool yet.  Then, her husband then proceeds to publicly declare that he cashed out his state government pension & retirement savings from his last job when they moved here for his dream job.  He needed the money to put the down payment on their house and supplement his income (she doesn't work) because he took a significant pay cut to take the job, and then he tells us what he makes per year in his federal job.  He was lamenting that it reset the timer on when he can get a pension, so he's got another 16 years or so to hit the 20 necessary for his new government pension.  His wife then tells the group that he's got around $70K in his retirement account and she wants him to borrow against it to pay for a pool.  He very seriously tells her to go get a f-ing job.  Luckily, one of the neighbors quickly changed the subject.

So, when we get home, I tell the wife how I'm shocked at that whole conversation not only because it took place, but also because I would be freaking out if I only had $70K in our retirement accounts at that age (he's a few years older than us).  I also used the opportunity to point out how lucky she is to be married to me, because I have manners and have us in a much better financial position. ;)  She then tells me that the husband had approached the pool builder husband earlier in the day to ask how much they were spending on it because he was sick of the wife nagging him about it and he needed to shut her up.  For a little context, this couple does a poor job of maintaining their existing yard and house, so I can only assume that they can't really afford to maintain a pool, let alone the construction of one.  Nevertheless, I am willing to bet that next spring there will be a pool going into their yard...
OMG!!!

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14733 on: September 06, 2016, 02:08:02 PM »
One of my coworkers drives an older toyota camry,I want to say it's a late nineties, early 2000's model. She comes into my office and says she's thinking of switching her car.

CW:I think I need a new car.
Me: Why, is there something wrong with it?
CW: Well I drive donors to dinner or events sometimes and the car just doesn't look up to snuff.
Me: Just rent a car for a few hours. It'll be much cheaper with the contracted rate.
CW: No, that'll be too much. I should buy a new car.

I tried to point out that renting a car is eligible for reimbursement and her car payment (she doesn't have the cash to purchase outright) wouldn't be.

No new car yet, so maybe I got through to her.

If you don't mind the compliment, that was ingenious thinking on your behalf.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14734 on: September 06, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »
One of my coworkers drives an older toyota camry,I want to say it's a late nineties, early 2000's model. She comes into my office and says she's thinking of switching her car.

CW:I think I need a new car.
Me: Why, is there something wrong with it?
CW: Well I drive donors to dinner or events sometimes and the car just doesn't look up to snuff.
Me: Just rent a car for a few hours. It'll be much cheaper with the contracted rate.
CW: No, that'll be too much. I should buy a new car.

I tried to point out that renting a car is eligible for reimbursement and her car payment (she doesn't have the cash to purchase outright) wouldn't be.

No new car yet, so maybe I got through to her.

I went to a fancy dinner with a bunch of schmancy executive-type people last year, and wound up walking down with one of the directors of the bank we do business with and waiting for the valets to bring our cars.

Me: "I'm almost embarassed at my car right now... everyone is driving BMWs and Audis and the like."
Banker: "You like your car? It's paid off?"
Me: "Yeah, of course it's paid off. Runs great."
Banker: "Y'know, I manage the banking of a lot of people in that room. Let me just say: your car? Pretty damned special, in this crowd. I'd keep driving it if I were you."

Since then, I've also come down to earth and started to appreciate my car a hell of a lot more. No embarassment for me - I have a GREAT car!

(And if you need a nicer car for a few hours and you can get it reimbursed... WHY WOULD YOU BUY ONE FROM YOUR OWN FUNDS. Your point is excellent.)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14735 on: September 06, 2016, 04:09:20 PM »
Well then she surely needs a luxury car to impress with... -eye roller-

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #14736 on: September 06, 2016, 06:22:22 PM »
Best potluck dish ever! I get asked for the recipe and requests to bring it. It tastes so much better than just 3 ingredients.

Cranberry Salad - aka super easy and special cranberry sauce.
2 cans whole berry cranberry
1 can mandarin oranges
1/2 cup toasted walnuts

A day or two before the potluck pour the cranberry in a large bowl and break it up. Stir in walnuts and then gently fold in mandarin oranges. Cover and put in fridge until mealtime.
Actually used this on Saturday. I just ate some of the leftovers. Love it!

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #14737 on: September 06, 2016, 09:16:18 PM »
I had posted earlier in the "Anti Anti-Mustachian" forum earlier about this situation, but the situation has since progressed to be better suited here.

My mid 50's coworker, with little to no retirement planned or saved, has just refinanced her townhouse. This, in itself, is awesome. She's dropped her interest rate from where it was at 5.5% down to 3.8%. Success!

This is where the success ends, and the poor decisions start. She's had a balance on a home equity line of credit to the tune of about $40k for quite a while now, along with a $5k credit card balance. Well, she used this refinance opportunity to consolidate her loans into one mortgage, dropping her total cumulative payments by $300/mo in the process. The poor decision? When she refinanced her mortgage that had 17yrs left on it to a 30yr mortgage, thus the ability to lower her monthly payments...

But it doesn't stop there. She also borrowed $10k to use towards buying a new car. You see, her perfectly capable 12yr old Hyundai Tiburon has been "nickel and diming" her for the past year or so. It's cost her $2k in the past year alone, and "dammit, she can't afford it". I tried to explain that if she decided to buy a new car, she would be easily paying $300/mo in car payments, plus an increase in insurance costs. A new car would cost her much more than her current car and she wouldn't have to take the hit of depreciation if she kept her current vehicle. I could tell she wasn't interested in keeping her old car, so I suggested that she look at a used car, or certified pre-owned as that would vastly decrease her costs. She agreed that that would be a good idea.

The next week, she's all excited about a certified pre-owned Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T with all the bells and whistles. It's a lease return, with 36,000 miles, and it's priced at $25,000 before negotiating. It would come with the remainder of the 10yr, 100k mile warranty offered by Hyundai. It would cost her $270/mo after she paid $10k down, and it's pretty much exactly what she's looking for. She can't afford a new one, as they are nearly $40k, and she does NOT want to finance a car for the next 7-8 years to bring the payments low enough to afford.

A week goes by, and she tells me she's going back that weekend to check out the car again. She's got to choose between a white or a black one...

Monday rolls around, and there is a BRAND NEW Maroon Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T (turbo), FULLY LOADED in the parking lot at work. I start thinking, "but there wasn't a maroon lease return at the dealer... She can't afford the financing terms on a new one... New ones cost $42k!... She'd have to pay almost $600/mo even if she gave them $10k upfront..."

And then I realized the brutal truth, "She must have leased it. Fuuuuuuuuuuck!"

I walk into the office and she immediately tells me that I HAVE to check out her new car. I don't pull any punches and I ask, "Did you lease it?" She says, "Yea, I really liked it, but they are really expensive. This thing is $42k with all the bells and whistles. I couldn't afford the nearly $600/mo payment to buy it new, so I thought I'd give the lease a try. If I don't like it, I can return it in three years. I had to give them the $10k up front, but my payment is only $270/mo which is totally affordable! I'm really excited, it's so nice! Plus, I have the option to buy it at the end of the lease, which would only be $22,800, which I can manage."

I ask her if she realizes that the $10k she paid up front is essentially to buy down the depreciation that the vehicle will incur in the next 3 years. That, when she's finished with her lease, she'll need to buy the car to make the lease worth it. Otherwise, she'll be paying almost $20k for a car for 3 years of use. She says, "Yea, I really like it. I'm pretty sure I'll definitely be buying it when the lease is up. I'm really happy with it."

I didn't mention that she's essentially financing $32k over 8yrs, AFTER paying down $10k. She's doing exactly what she didn't want to do in the first place, and has just signed on for $42k of debt that will be paid over the next 8 years. She's even decided to keep her older car, as she's never had the convenience of two cars before, and it doesn't cost her anything to keep it.

AAAAAAAGHAGAHAGAHAHGAGH!!!!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #14738 on: September 07, 2016, 01:07:30 AM »
That was awesome. In a very sad way.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14739 on: September 07, 2016, 02:54:25 AM »

But it doesn't stop there. She also borrowed $10k to use towards buying a new car.

"... I couldn't afford the nearly $600/mo payment to buy it new, so I thought I'd give the lease a try. If I don't like it, I can return it in three years. I had to give them the $10k up front, but my payment is only $270/mo which is totally affordable!"

Assuming the 10K loan is 0% and is a three-year loan, she does realize that she is effectively paying 600$/month or do you get the impression that she missed that transitive concept? Or put another way, does she understand that she has to pay back her loan and therefore the TCO of the car is more than just what the dealer says or thinks it is?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:56:28 AM by kayvent »

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14740 on: September 07, 2016, 07:35:57 AM »

But it doesn't stop there. She also borrowed $10k to use towards buying a new car.

"... I couldn't afford the nearly $600/mo payment to buy it new, so I thought I'd give the lease a try. If I don't like it, I can return it in three years. I had to give them the $10k up front, but my payment is only $270/mo which is totally affordable!"

Assuming the 10K loan is 0% and is a three-year loan, she does realize that she is effectively paying 600$/month or do you get the impression that she missed that transitive concept? Or put another way, does she understand that she has to pay back her loan and therefore the TCO of the car is more than just what the dealer says or thinks it is?

The straight facts are that the $10k is coming from the cash out refinance on her home. Essentially, she's paying that $10k at 3.5% over the next 30 years. Both my coworker (a 50 year old male who's retired from one job, and holding out till 55 to be able to access his pension/401k fee free) tried to convince her not to use the refinance to access cash to buy a car, as she has excellent credit (800+) and qualified for 1.9% at the dealer. She didn't listen though. She does realize in the back of her mind, that she's paying off that 10k loan over the term of her mortgage, but she's not looking at the larger picture. She knows that her monthly payments have decreased by ~$300. She knows this is because she took a 30yr mortgage, but she also believes that in the next 5-7 years, she'll sell her home and buy a smaller one, thus the 30 year mortgage is justified...

Both the mortgage lender and the car dealership finance people spouted out some nonsense that got her excited and she made the bad decisions in rapid fire succession.

First mistake? Telling the dealer, "I don't want my payments to be any higher than about $270/mo." What did she do? She agreed to have a dumbass alarm installed, adding $15/mo to her lease ($540 alarm...) totaling $285/mo, and doesn't consider the extra cost of insurance as an increase in her monthly payment...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14741 on: September 07, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »
And then I realized the brutal truth, "She must have leased it. Fuuuuuuuuuuck!"

I walk into the office and she immediately tells me that I HAVE to check out her new car. I don't pull any punches and I ask, "Did you lease it?" She says, "Yea, I really liked it, but they are really expensive. This thing is $42k with all the bells and whistles. I couldn't afford the nearly $600/mo payment to buy it new, so I thought I'd give the lease a try. If I don't like it, I can return it in three years. I had to give them the $10k up front, but my payment is only $270/mo which is totally affordable! I'm really excited, it's so nice! Plus, I have the option to buy it at the end of the lease, which would only be $22,800, which I can manage."

I ask her if she realizes that the $10k she paid up front is essentially to buy down the depreciation that the vehicle will incur in the next 3 years. That, when she's finished with her lease, she'll need to buy the car to make the lease worth it. Otherwise, she'll be paying almost $20k for a car for 3 years of use. She says, "Yea, I really like it. I'm pretty sure I'll definitely be buying it when the lease is up. I'm really happy with it."
That made my brain hurt.  People and cars.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14742 on: September 07, 2016, 10:28:26 AM »
...but she's not looking at the larger picture. She knows that her monthly payments have decreased by ~$300.

This is a major problem I see in a lot of people.  They only think of money in the short term, i.e. monthly payments, and if they can afford it.  Then they complain about how it's impossible to build wealth in the long term nowadays...

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14743 on: September 07, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
...but she's not looking at the larger picture. She knows that her monthly payments have decreased by ~$300.

This is a major problem I see in a lot of people.  They only think of money in the short term, i.e. monthly payments, and if they can afford it.  Then they complain about how it's impossible to build wealth in the long term nowadays...

A friend of mine worked as a car salesman for a few years. He said that almost nobody -- way lower than 10% -- even ask about the total price of the car they're about to buy. It's all about that monthly payment.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14744 on: September 07, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »

A friend of mine worked as a car salesman for a few years. He said that almost nobody -- way lower than 10% -- even ask about the total price of the car they're about to buy. It's all about that monthly payment.

My parents intentionally drive 1.25 hours one way to work with a dealer in a small town.  The reason?  He was the only dealer within 100 miles that would actually give a cash price over the phone and stick to it.  We have 8 (or more) massive dealers in town.  None of them would give a cash price.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14745 on: September 07, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »

Ick that's really sad, but likely great for the salesmen. That percentage makes sense as cash sales are around 9% of all car purchases.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14746 on: September 07, 2016, 11:38:43 AM »
She's even decided to keep her older car, as she's never had the convenience of two cars before, and it doesn't cost her anything to keep it.

Maybe it's because I drive 5000 miles or less per year but how are 2 sedans for one person convenient? The brand new lease shouldn't be breaking down anytime soon. The mental gymnastics these people play!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14747 on: September 07, 2016, 11:47:35 AM »
Maybe it's because I drive 5000 miles or less per year but how are 2 sedans for one person convenient?

If you have to much to drink at the bar and get a ride home, you have a car to go get your car!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14748 on: September 07, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
Maybe it's because I drive 5000 miles or less per year but how are 2 sedans for one person convenient?

If you have to much to drink at the bar and get a ride home, you have a car to go get your car!

If something breaks on the newer car you can just replace with parts from the older car!  That's how repairing cars works right?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14749 on: September 07, 2016, 12:57:56 PM »
She's even decided to keep her older car, as she's never had the convenience of two cars before, and it doesn't cost her anything to keep it.

Maybe it's because I drive 5000 miles or less per year but how are 2 sedans for one person convenient? The brand new lease shouldn't be breaking down anytime soon. The mental gymnastics these people play!

She has a two car garage. She's never owned two cars before, and liked the idea of having a second car for those times when her car may be in the shop. I guarantee that I don't see it at the office more than twice in a year. Plus, she bought the Hyundai Santa Fe because it's a mini SUV. She wanted the option of carrying around her golf clubs or massage table while still carrying a passenger. So, her old two door car can't even do what she wants to do with the new one. It's just dumb.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!