Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252898 times)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14550 on: August 21, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »
Whenever some exception happens, instead of trying to understand what's actually happening, they just throw their hands up and say oh well the instructions don't explain this...

I don't know how these people expect to get anywhere in life.
You just have to wrap them in a try/catch handler
Failing that - just delete them and cleanup their resources

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14551 on: August 21, 2016, 03:52:14 PM »
But think about it - how much could we increase productivity by not including silent letters? French productivity could go up 1000%!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  It *has* always mystified me why the French language includes so many letters that are not pronounced.

Of course, English has more than its fair share of anti-patterns, exceptions, oddities and eccentricities.
OK I looked up the actual code.  If you turn on "wildcards" you can use the X{Y,Z} expression to find anwhere between Y-Z of X.  So you if you:

find: <space character>{2,1000}
replace <space character>

then click replace all, you will immediately replace all multiples of 2-1000 spaces with a single space if that's your goal

I sometimes use what you suggest to make sure I don't have any triple spaces in my documents. 
Does Word also support open-ended repeated characters, like {2,} ? That would match any number (>2) of spaces.
Whenever some exception happens, instead of trying to understand what's actually happening, they just throw their hands up and say oh well the instructions don't explain this...

I don't know how these people expect to get anywhere in life.
You just have to wrap them in a try/catch handler
Failing that - just delete them and cleanup their resources
*snort* Or you could include a bunch of try/catch-type structure in your instructions, and see if users can figure it out :)

Along a similar line of thought, it has always impressed me how the instructions for the 1040 form are so well-written.  Seriously, if you've done your own taxes before, the IRS has done a remarkable job of making the whole process very parseable.
(yes, I'm a Java programmer (among many other things) at my day job)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14552 on: August 21, 2016, 04:40:34 PM »
Along a similar line of thought, it has always impressed me how the instructions for the 1040 form are so well-written.  Seriously, if you've done your own taxes before, the IRS has done a remarkable job of making the whole process very parseable.
(yes, I'm a Java programmer (among many other things) at my day job)

Well I think it's over "dummy proofed" to a fault sometimes. Sometimes I just want to figure out what formula they're using but it's obfuscated by a series of instructions that say copy line 4, take the maximum of lines 2 and 3, etc. It'd be so much simpler if they included the formulas in an appendix or something...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14553 on: August 21, 2016, 04:51:28 PM »
OK I looked up the actual code.  If you turn on "wildcards" you can use the X{Y,Z} expression to find anwhere between Y-Z of X.  So you if you:

then click replace all, you will immediately replace all multiples of 2-1000 spaces with a single space if that's your goal

Neat! Thanks for looking that up and sharing.  :)

Luckily it'll be easy to look up next time I want to use it.  Just check the "Overheard at Work" thread.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #14554 on: August 21, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »
But think about it - how much could we increase productivity by not including silent letters? French productivity could go up 1000%!

Brilliant!  Those bonus letters are surely just added to trip up foreigners.

Ha!  I was thinking, "what is she talking about, of course I included the silent 's', of course, because I always do, because I'm terribly fond of beginning random thoughts (or in this case, not so random, I was joking) with 'apropos to nothing' ".

And then I looked.  And I was momentarily  horrified.  But now I'm laughing. 

And a bunch of Houston MMM'ers are about to meet each other for the first time, so it's all good.

Hooray for happy endings!

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #14555 on: August 21, 2016, 10:42:15 PM »
I remember when Word used to use Control-L for left align, Control-B for bold, Control-C for center, Control-U for underline, etc, etc.  Then someone in Redmond decided one fine day all that silly intuitive stuff should go away.
I remember when there was a program call WordPerfect which was infinitely better than Word for formatting long and complicated documents and someone in Redmond decided one fine day all that silly intuitive stuff should go away.

#stillbitterafteralltheseyears

QFT!  I still miss being able to view the format codes and put formulas in my tables.  *sniff* 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14556 on: August 21, 2016, 11:34:22 PM »
Pffft you plebians using Word. LaTeX is so much better! (but terrible for collaboration unless everyone else understands LaTeX) (but then again when that's true it makes it so much easier to communicate equations over email)

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #14557 on: August 22, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
Pffft you plebians using Word. LaTeX is so much better! (but terrible for collaboration unless everyone else understands LaTeX) (but then again when that's true it makes it so much easier to communicate equations over email)
Word!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14558 on: August 22, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »

Brilliant!  Those bonus letters are surely just added to trip up foreigners.

Buy a tennis racquet with a coloured cheque*. :p

*not that we use cheques anymore, but I wanted to make a point, damnit.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14559 on: August 22, 2016, 04:52:36 AM »
  Our condo building manager sends me Word doc reports where at the end of each line, she presses enter and then tabs in for the next line, so if you need to make any edits, then you have to re-do the f-ed up formatting. 

You may know this but not everyone knows this:
Use Ctrl + H to open Find/Replace. In the find box put ^p^t, in the replace box put one space.

Oh, cool, a new trick, and it works!  I forgot, but she also has a habit of putting lots of spaces until she gets to the next line.  I don't even understand how it's possible to make such screwed up formatting!

A couple weeks ago, I emailed a pdf to her to post to our website.  She insisted she couldn't post it because our printer/scanner "wasn't working."  Huh?  Yeah, because her method of posting a file to our website apparently had been to print it out, scan it in, and then upload it from the scan folder.  And that was the only way she knew how to do it.

Ace!

A bunch of people who send me files only know how to attach files to email using the scanner. So to send me a spreadsheet, they will print, scan, email the scan, and expect me to type the whole thing back into my spreadsheet. But they are genuinely trying to be helpful! I now have a set of instructions (with screen shots) to show them how to attach a file to an email and they think it is magic!

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14560 on: August 22, 2016, 05:47:36 AM »
Wasn't Wordperfect part of the Lotus Suite?

You're thinking of Ami Pro.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14561 on: August 22, 2016, 07:24:06 AM »

NOW you're talking. LaTex on Mint Linux please!!!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14562 on: August 22, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »
Came to work over the weekend for a while. Rarely do that but I wanted to double check some work to make sure it was done right before Monday since it's on my back.

Coworker sold his red car and bought the very same car again, one year newer, but grey this time... What's the point of that?

Aeowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Aeowulf Forums
« Reply #14563 on: August 22, 2016, 08:54:56 AM »
Came to work over the weekend for a while. Rarely do that but I wanted to double check some work to make sure it was done right before Monday since it's on my back.

Coworker sold his red car and bought the very same car again, one year newer, but grey this time... What's the point of that?

They just HAD to update their maps. Oh, and the radio has an extra button on it now. How can you live without that!?!?!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14564 on: August 22, 2016, 10:00:21 AM »

I prefer Arch Linux myself. I did use to use the Cinnamon desktop environment for a while, but XFCE was the only desktop environment that I tried that seemed to properly handle non uniform multiple displays (1920x1080 + 1080x1920 (that's rotated to portrait) + 1920x1200 + 1680x1050). I feel like this behavior really should be controlled by the Nvidia driver, not the desktop environment.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in, but I was not willing to put in the time to figure out why this was the case and just went with XFCE instead.
I only typically use the first two displays at any given time, but occasionally I do use the third display. The fourth display is rarely used. When it is used it's only really for peripheral stuff like spotify and chat windows, as it's generally too far to really put anything important on.

What I don't like about LaTeX is it's hard to write efficiently without ample screen real estate. At a bare minimum you need two windows displayed side by side - PDF and source code. It gets even worse when I try to make slide decks in beamer and I'm simultaneously looking at the article, presentation, and handout versions of my slide deck, along with my LaTeX code, web browser, MATLAB, and another PDF viewer for a paper I'm referencing. This is one of those instances that I use four monitors.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14565 on: August 22, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »

I prefer Arch Linux myself. I did use to use the Cinnamon desktop environment for a while, but XFCE was the only desktop environment that I tried that seemed to properly handle non uniform multiple displays (1920x1080 + 1080x1920 (that's rotated to portrait) + 1920x1200 + 1680x1050). I feel like this behavior really should be controlled by the Nvidia driver, not the desktop environment.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in, but I was not willing to put in the time to figure out why this was the case and just went with XFCE instead.
I only typically use the first two displays at any given time, but occasionally I do use the third display. The fourth display is rarely used. When it is used it's only really for peripheral stuff like spotify and chat windows, as it's generally too far to really put anything important on.

What I don't like about LaTeX is it's hard to write efficiently without ample screen real estate. At a bare minimum you need two windows displayed side by side - PDF and source code. It gets even worse when I try to make slide decks in beamer and I'm simultaneously looking at the article, presentation, and handout versions of my slide deck, along with my LaTeX code, web browser, MATLAB, and another PDF viewer for a paper I'm referencing. This is one of those instances that I use four monitors.

WTF?  I just code it up directly in vi as a PDF binary.  Render it in your brain and you can use the whole screen for typing!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14566 on: August 22, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »

WTF?  I just code it up directly in vim/xxd as a PDF binary.  Render it in your brain and you can use the whole screen for typing!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14567 on: August 22, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »

WTF?  I just code it up directly in vim/xxd as a PDF binary.  Render it in your brain and you can use the whole screen for typing!

Lol I'm good, but not that good!

I have tried taking notes in class in LaTeX before. Was decently successful, but class notes are far less complex than slide decks.

Fearthebait

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14568 on: August 22, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »
I was recently promoted in the military and my coworker comes up to me and says "Now you have to spend all the extra money you make this month on a gift for yourself." Not a TERRIBLE idea, but not something I was interested in. Shortly after he follows up with "You know you should just go out and buy a brand new car, it'll basically be free because you weren't making the extra money anyway!" This same person also paid off an $8000 loan on a car they had so that they could get approved for a loan on a brand new $45,000 Mustang....

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #14569 on: August 22, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »

I prefer Arch Linux myself. I did use to use the Cinnamon desktop environment for a while, but XFCE was the only desktop environment that I tried that seemed to properly handle non uniform multiple displays (1920x1080 + 1080x1920 (that's rotated to portrait) + 1920x1200 + 1680x1050). ...snip...

I have fond (?) memories of Word Star on monochrome displays at 720x350.  If you insisted on color you had to use a 320x200. But who really needs color for word processing anyway?  All formatting was control code driven because it was a text only interface.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14570 on: August 22, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
I was recently promoted in the military and my coworker comes up to me and says "Now you have to spend all the extra money you make this month on a gift for yourself." Not a TERRIBLE idea, but not something I was interested in. Shortly after he follows up with "You know you should just go out and buy a brand new car, it'll basically be free because you weren't making the extra money anyway!" This same person also paid off an $8000 loan on a car they had so that they could get approved for a loan on a brand new $45,000 Mustang....
Wow. In other words, "you earned a promotion!  Yay!  Now spend that raise in a way that won't actually improve your life!"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14571 on: August 22, 2016, 12:48:49 PM »
Wow. In other words, "you earned a promotion!  Yay!  Now spend that raise in a way that won't actually improve your life!"

Reminds me of this quote

“We humans are unhappy in large part because we are insatiable; after working hard to get what we want, we routinely lose interest in the object of our desire. Rather than feeling satisfied, we feel a bit bored, and in response to this boredom, we go on to form new, even grander desires.”
― William B. Irvine, A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14572 on: August 22, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »

Reminds me of this quote

“We humans are unhappy in large part because we are insatiable; after working hard to get what we want, we routinely lose interest in the object of our desire. Rather than feeling satisfied, we feel a bit bored, and in response to this boredom, we go on to form new, even grander desires.”

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." - Douglas Adams

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14573 on: August 22, 2016, 01:00:03 PM »

Reminds me of this quote

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." - Douglas Adams

I read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," and for whatever reason, did not enjoy it. It's wittiness makes it something that I normally would appreciate, but I guess I'll need to go back and re-read it.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14574 on: August 22, 2016, 01:40:43 PM »

Reminds me of this quote

I read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," and for whatever reason, did not enjoy it. It's wittiness makes it something that I normally would appreciate, but I guess I'll need to go back and re-read it.

I loved it when I first read it at 13 or 14, but went back recently, and did not enjoy it at all.  It came off as pretentious rather than witty.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14575 on: August 22, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »

Reminds me of this quote

I loved it when I first read it at 13 or 14, but went back recently, and did not enjoy it at all.  It came off as pretentious rather than witty.

That's exactly how it came across to me! I did "read" it as an audiobook, so perhaps a paper (or Kindle) copy will be better.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14576 on: August 22, 2016, 02:13:01 PM »

Neat! Thanks for looking that up and sharing.  :)

Luckily it'll be easy to look up next time I want to use it.  Just check the "Overheard at Work" thread.
Good luck finding it.  Just remember it's on page 299.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14577 on: August 22, 2016, 02:14:07 PM »
The original BBC radio series play is better than the novelisation - and a lot better than the later TV version

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #14578 on: August 22, 2016, 02:33:10 PM »

Reminds me of this quote

That's exactly how it came across to me! I did "read" it as an audiobook, so perhaps a paper (or Kindle) copy will be better.

Try getting the audiobook of Douglas Adams reading it. It really cuts down on the pretension and ups the wittiness factor. When he reads it, you really get a sense of the comedic timing.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14579 on: August 22, 2016, 02:37:16 PM »

Reminds me of this quote

Try getting the audiobook of Douglas Adams reading it. It really cuts down on the pretension and ups the wittiness factor. When he reads it, you really get a sense of the comedic timing.

Yeah, that's how it was introduced to me . . . on long childhood car trips.  I still hear his voice in my head when I read the book.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14580 on: August 22, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »
The original BBC radio series play is better than the novelisation - and a lot better than the later TV version

Yep, I was quite young when I heard it on BBC shortwave.   Somewhere I have a tape of me giggling during the broadcast (mobile tape recorder microphone sitting right near the speaker).

I have a copy of the BBC radio play on CD (I don't think it is quite the original, but close).

My (future) wife was worried when I was able to quote nearly the entire first page of the book from memory.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #14581 on: August 22, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »

Yep, I was quite young when I heard it on BBC shortwave.   Somewhere I have a tape of me giggling during the broadcast (mobile tape recorder microphone sitting right near the speaker).

I have a copy of the BBC radio play on CD (I don't think it is quite the original, but close).

My (future) wife was worried when I was able to quote nearly the entire first page of the book from memory.
My first intro to HHG was a VHS tape of the BBC series all episodes back to back. Remains my favorite. The movie was a dud IMHO.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14582 on: August 23, 2016, 05:18:26 AM »
On a similar note, for those who listen to radio p,aye: check out Dylan Thomas's Under Milkwood.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #14583 on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:36 AM »

Do you have any experience with Knowledge Repository and its associated issues? My team is having a hell of time with that thing.

Sadly, no. And now, all I can think of is you, on your quitting day, making this into a suppository joke...

Aeowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Aeowulf Forums
« Reply #14584 on: August 23, 2016, 11:48:23 AM »
A new training opportunity at work:

Do you feel as though you are living
payday to payday?  This seminar will discuss the different types of debt and
how we can work toward a "debt free" lifestyle.  Topics include the
difference between good debt and bad debt, the impact of interest charges,
managing your spending habits and creating good saving habits. 

"Debt free" is in quotations, because it's just a phrase and not actually possible? Good debt?

At least they're trying...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14585 on: August 23, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »

"Debt free" is in quotations, because it's just a phrase and not actually possible? Good debt?

mortgage is a debt.  pretty difficult even for most mustachians to be completely debt free while owning a house, at least during the accumulation phase.  I would describe myself as "debt free" meaning no cc debt or other bullshit debt (ie bad debt), but i still carry a mortgage.  Maybe that's what they mean, no bad debt and just good debt?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14586 on: August 23, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »

mortgage is a debt.  pretty difficult even for most mustachians to be completely debt free while owning a house, at least during the accumulation phase.  I would describe myself as "debt free" meaning no cc debt or other bullshit debt (ie bad debt), but i still carry a mortgage.  Maybe that's what they mean, no bad debt and just good debt?

Naw, people just abuse quotation marks

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #14587 on: August 23, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »

<sarcasm> "Debt free" because obviously your mortgage and student loan don't count. </sarcasm>
Is this training opportunity perhaps hosted by a bank or similar organization?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14588 on: August 23, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »
a "training opportunity"?

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #14589 on: August 23, 2016, 12:31:07 PM »

That's a neat find! One I missed from the late-2000s era of If You Had An Even Slightly Popular Blog, You Probably Made It Into A Book. (As soon as I saw the type of blog it was, I was all, surely the author made a totally niche printed book of this - aaaahhhhh and there it is!)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #14590 on: August 23, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »

Sponsored by Rich Dad.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14591 on: August 23, 2016, 02:49:28 PM »
We're working on putting together some type of seminar on structuring philanthropy into sales of businesses. My coworker comes in with the slides from a presentation  she said at a conference. She is shocked by what they are espousing.

CW: This is crazy. Look here, this graph is based on someone saving $10,000 a year starting at age 30.
Me: (Thinking she might be thinking it's too low) Well...yeah, I mean the target audience here has...
CW: No one can save that much! I mean geez!
Me: Oh! um...

I didn't know how to mention that even though I make 25K less than her, I've been saving at least that much since I was 26.

Wow. This made me look it up, since I've never quite been exactly sure of the numbers. So I did: When I was 23 in 2013, making $35,000, I saved $10,000 to my 401k, The next year (2014), making maybe $37k, I saved almost $14,000 and early in 2015 fully funded my 2014 IRA. In fact, that first year was the least that I have ever saved out of college on a full  year (although last year was a close second, between getting married and buying a "new" car).

This year I'm already at $11k, and that is after greatly reducing my contributions over the past few months since we're trying to buy a house.

Who can't save even $10k a year? Wow. Even my wife is doing that, and she's aggresively paying off student loans.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #14592 on: August 23, 2016, 07:00:08 PM »

That's a neat find! One I missed from the late-2000s era of If You Had An Even Slightly Popular Blog, You Probably Made It Into A Book. (As soon as I saw the type of blog it was, I was all, surely the author made a totally niche printed book of this - aaaahhhhh and there it is!)

Only one of my mostest favoritest websites ever!  Haven't visited in awhile, although I was just thinking about it the other day.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14593 on: August 23, 2016, 09:28:07 PM »
Well, I have two for today:

1.  Co-worker is getting the payout from VW for her beetle, and trying to decide what to buy.  She wants to retire in three years, and will get net ~$11K after VW retires her outstanding loan on the beetle.  This afternoon she was looking at some $52K BMW diesel SUV thing "because it gets good gas mileage."  I tried to at least steer her down to a Mazda CX-5 that would get equal mileage, and cost over $20K less.

2.  Received an email about a TSP workshop.  One of the bullets is "Why you should never save more than 5% in your TSP!!"  Bio on the instructor said he started a federal career in 1973, and here he is, 43 years later and still working.  I think I'll skip that workshop.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14594 on: August 24, 2016, 05:21:47 AM »
a phone conversation I've had *countless* times:
 *phone rings*
 Me: ZEPHYR SPEAKING
 Overpaid Co-Worker On Phone: HELLO?
 Me: This is Zephyr, how can I help you?
 OCWOP: OMG I CAN'T FIND [old file] IN YOUR SHAREPOINT LIBRARY, WHY DID YOU DELETE IT?
 Me: Are you on the page now?
 OCWOP: YES THERE IS ONLY THIS WEEK'S FILE I NEED THE ONE FROM [date]
 Me: Do you see about ten pixels above that, where it says "Click Here to View Archives"?
 OCWOP: YES
 Me: Have you tried clicking to view the archives?
 OCWOP: ...
 Me: ...
 *click*
 Me: *checks investment accounts*

Oh god. We just got Sharepoint. I expect this will start becoming way too common ...

I'm getting decent at adding JQuery to SharePoint webpart pages to make them more useful - fancy buttons and filters and stuff. Next week I have to go to a large bureaucratic client's location to look at their SharePoint site because they have "big problems". I am so very afraid.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14595 on: August 24, 2016, 06:17:53 AM »

Do you have any experience with Knowledge Repository and its associated issues? My team is having a hell of time with that thing.

Sadly, no. And now, all I can think of is you, on your quitting day, making this into a suppository joke...

That day cannot come soon enough. Thank you for the eloquent sendoff idea.

novynova

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14596 on: August 24, 2016, 07:01:28 AM »
had a convo with my coworker who constantly complains that her husband needs a better job ALSO orders breakfast AND lunch at work EVERYDAY

Me: i just increased my 401K above the company match (from 5% to 8%) hope i made the right decision instead of putting more towards other savings
her: i've been meaning to look into that
Me: look into which part, above the match? other savings? 8%?
Her: No, the 401K. I would like to but i just don't make enough
Me: you could bag your lunch or eat breakfast before you get here OR EAT THE FREE FOOD WE HAVE IN THE KITCHEN (english muffins, coffee, tea, soda, snacks, granola, etc.)
Her: I'm not going to struggle just to save a few dollars
Me: -___-

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14597 on: August 24, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »
had a convo with my coworker who constantly complains that her husband needs a better job ALSO orders breakfast AND lunch at work EVERYDAY

Me: i just increased my 401K above the company match (from 5% to 8%) hope i made the right decision instead of putting more towards other savings
Me: you could bag your lunch or eat breakfast before you get here OR EAT THE FREE FOOD WE HAVE IN THE KITCHEN (english muffins, coffee, tea, soda, snacks, granola, etc.)

Don't let me be seen eating English muffins. The struggle is real.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14598 on: August 24, 2016, 08:06:02 AM »

... Struggle?

We must have different interpretations of the word. Having tea and English muffins provided is lovely.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14599 on: August 24, 2016, 08:11:25 AM »
How about what I SAW while at work?

Was coming back from looking at a CNC machine yesterday that I hope to buy for my workplace.

Cop from another county (no jurisdiction outside of his county in this state) slides past me in the left lane (4-lane rural highway).

I catch up with him at a crossroads/red light in a small town. Pickup next to him (my lane) rolls his window down and says something to him.

Light turns green, and we all set off at a reasonable pace. A mile down the road (beyond the small town city limits) the pickup truck floors it. Over 100 mph easily as I lose sight of him. 

Around the bend going the other direction comes a state trooper who quickly swings through the grassy median and gives chase. Truck gets off at the next exit and tries to hide but the cop catches him.

Karma is served.

All I could think of was the cost of this bit of showboating. Ticket, possibly bail, truck being towed, higher insurance premiums, etc. And if he's done something stupid before then multiply all that by some factor...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:13:06 AM by Joe Lucky »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!