Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 6416718 times)

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14500 on: August 11, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »
*snip*

This is the first time in a long time that it would be a problem, but it would certainly delay underwriting and we're on a tight rope in terms of our lease ending and closing. And after the close, we wouldn't notice it at all--assuming they got it fixed within 2 or 3 paychecks.

Although I would be very concerned about my employment status if they couldn't fix it within a week.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure someone just accidentally dropped the ball, but it would start to bother me on principle past a certain point.

We have an agreement - I show up and do my job, and you pay me.

To quote someone much smarter than I am: "The day that one of us stops holding up our end, the other is free to do the same."

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14501 on: August 11, 2016, 11:56:31 AM »

I keep my house at a temp that would give MMMers fits.  68-70 all year around.  Bump up to 75 if we go away.  I have a small house and a highly efficient brand new HVAC system.  My July electric bill was $124.  Whoopty shit.  If it was $400 I'd do something different.  For $124 I'm keeping it exactly as I like it.

lol.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #14502 on: August 11, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »

I keep my house at a temp that would give MMMers fits.  68-70 all year around.  Bump up to 75 if we go away.  I have a small house and a highly efficient brand new HVAC system.  My July electric bill was $124.  Whoopty shit.  If it was $400 I'd do something different.  For $124 I'm keeping it exactly as I like it.

lol.

If I had a $124 electric bill for just one month, I believe I would shit a live canary.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14503 on: August 11, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »

lol.

If I had a $124 electric bill for just one month, I believe I would shit a live canary.

124 is about average for us, but we are all electric no gas.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14504 on: August 11, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »

lol.

124 is about average for us, but we are all electric no gas.

As a reference, my electric bill in the winter is ~$60-80 (plus a gas bill of maybe $80; summer gas bill is like $30 but I have a gas water heater and dryer).  So as I see it, I'm paying ~$40-60/mo for 3-4 months to be the temp I want.  I am 100% okay with that. 
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

Apples

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14505 on: August 11, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
*snip*

This is the first time in a long time that it would be a problem, but it would certainly delay underwriting and we're on a tight rope in terms of our lease ending and closing. And after the close, we wouldn't notice it at all--assuming they got it fixed within 2 or 3 paychecks.

Although I would be very concerned about my employment status if they couldn't fix it within a week.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure someone just accidentally dropped the ball, but it would start to bother me on principle past a certain point.

To quote someone much smarter than I am: "The day that one of us stops holding up our end, the other is free to do the same."

We've only not gotten payroll out on Friday once, and it took until the following Monday afternoon.  Our payroll is physical checks handed out every Friday.  Someone sold their check and the bank called to say duplicates had been made, our checks had been compromised.  The called about this Thursday morning.  It took until Monday to have a totally different set of checks mailed to us and for the bank to get a copy and put out an alert that the old checks could be fake.  We then had to do a bunch of "these check numbers and amounts are real, anything else is fake" and do it with the main local check cashing places.  It was chaos, a lot of people didn't like it, but there was nothing else we could do other than hand out literal cash.  Which I don't think the owners have that much cash laying around, and you couldn't withdraw that much in bills from the bank haha.

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's a new day, anything is possible.
« Reply #14506 on: August 11, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »
I have two.

First one was yesterday when several coworkers and I went out socially after work. We attended a AAA baseball game that was fun and relatively cheap. Afterwards we went to my bosses new house and had drinks. Not being a drinker I have very little knowledge of brands and types. Two coworkers were bragging about the smooth whiskey the boss provided costing $200 a bottle (they went through 2 while we were there). I almost gagged on my water.

The other one is someone who I commute with but works in another part of the organization. He is 63, no wife or kids. He has been renting the same place for 34 years currently for $600 a month. The owner recently sold and he received notice that his rent will be increased to $900 a month which for around here is still cheap. I know he makes pretty good money (~70k) but says he can't afford the increase. He has commented in the past that he doesn't save anything and buys what he wants. He is considering taking the new landlord to court on a technicality to delay the rent increase.
Actions speak louder than words.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14507 on: August 11, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »
He has been renting the same place for 34 years currently for $600 a month.

34 years at the same place!!!!

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14508 on: August 11, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »
So the mom thing is weird, but that aside, is there a back story where this guy has terrible finances and in no way can afford this car, or are you just critical of a dude who apparently has different priorities than you? 
I guess I'm critical because in the past he has commented how "easier" it's for me to save since I make more money than him.

Depending on the snarkiness of those comments, I'll sometimes reply 'and yet your monthly spending is twice mine'.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14509 on: August 11, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
I have two.

First one was yesterday when several coworkers and I went out socially after work. We attended a AAA baseball game that was fun and relatively cheap. Afterwards we went to my bosses new house and had drinks. Not being a drinker I have very little knowledge of brands and types. Two coworkers were bragging about the smooth whiskey the boss provided costing $200 a bottle (they went through 2 while we were there). I almost gagged on my water.

The other one is someone who I commute with but works in another part of the organization. He is 63, no wife or kids. He has been renting the same place for 34 years currently for $600 a month. The owner recently sold and he received notice that his rent will be increased to $900 a month which for around here is still cheap. I know he makes pretty good money (~70k) but says he can't afford the increase. He has commented in the past that he doesn't save anything and buys what he wants. He is considering taking the new landlord to court on a technicality to delay the rent increase.

You'd die at my best friends whiskey collection (seriously it's up to a few hundred bottles), 200 is a fairly cheap high end bottle, some bottles are a grand or more.  Not my cup of tea, and this guy is pretty mustachian in other realms, but his yearly whiskey tour routinely puts a multi thousand dollar hit in his budget.  He scored a few bottles of Pappy last year, invited everyone over for some, it was good, I wouldn't pay the price for it though. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14510 on: August 11, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »
I have two.

You'd die at my best friends whiskey collection (seriously it's up to a few hundred bottles), 200 is a fairly cheap high end bottle, some bottles are a grand or more.  Not my cup of tea, and this guy is pretty mustachian in other realms, but his yearly whiskey tour routinely puts a multi thousand dollar hit in his budget.  He scored a few bottles of Pappy last year, invited everyone over for some, it was good, I wouldn't pay the price for it though.

Buffalo Trace, made at the same distillery as Pappy, and costs $25/fifth.

Or Eagle Rare is the next step up for $35 if you're feeling spendy.  Buffalo Trace is my favorite bourbon hands down, regardless of price, but I'll admit my experience only extends to about $60-70/bottle, haven't had the really $$$ stuff.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14511 on: August 11, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
*snip*

Yeah I'd be angling for go home for the day (paid)... You know, to juggle my finances to accommodate the error. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14512 on: August 11, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
I have two.

Or Eagle Rare is the next step up for $35 if you're feeling spendy.  Buffalo Trace is my favorite bourbon hands down, regardless of price, but I'll admit my experience only extends to about $60-70/bottle, haven't had the really $$$ stuff.

Not a fan of Buffalo Trace, which is why I haven't sought out pappy's.

I'm a big fan of Mitcher's, which reminds me a lot of Woodford Reserve, only slightly... better somehow. Maybe I should have my wife blind pour me some of both, they could be the same for all I know.

On the lower end from that I like Very Old Barton and Old Fitzgerald, both of which are difficult to find in Chicagoland, so I go towards the more anti-mustachian bourbons like the WR and Mitchers.

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14513 on: August 11, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
He has been renting the same place for 34 years currently for $600 a month.

34 years at the same place!!!!

That's right. I drive past this place from time to time and I think it hasn't had much maintenance done in that same time.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #14514 on: August 11, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »
I have two.

I'm a big fan of Mitcher's, which reminds me a lot of Woodford Reserve, only slightly... better somehow. Maybe I should have my wife blind pour me some of both, they could be the same for all I know.

On the lower end from that I like Very Old Barton and Old Fitzgerald, both of which are difficult to find in Chicagoland, so I go towards the more anti-mustachian bourbons like the WR and Mitchers.

All four of these posts have me salivating right now.

You know you're a functional alcoholic when...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14515 on: August 11, 2016, 01:24:12 PM »
I have two.

I've been lookwarm on bourbons until this Friday. I went over to a friend's house with a few cigars that someone had given me. We smoke them on his porch while sipping Maker's Mark and wow did it really hit the spot.

Any recommendations for a few inexpensive bottles to try, or anything I should know? Or anything you recommend for a first bottle?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14516 on: August 11, 2016, 01:30:28 PM »
I have two.

I've been lookwarm on bourbons until this Friday. I went over to a friend's house with a few cigars that someone had given me. We smoke them on his porch while sipping Maker's Mark and wow did it really hit the spot.

Any recommendations for a few inexpensive bottles to try, or anything I should know? Or anything you recommend for a first bottle?

Great thing about bourbons is that you can buy great bottles for well under $50 all day long.

Try:
-Buffalo Trace
-Eagle Rare
-Knob Creek (and KC Single Barrel)
-Jim Beam Black (shockingly good for like $20)
-Maker's 46
-Four Roses
-Templton Rye is pretty good

And there are plenty more. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14517 on: August 11, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »
I have two.

What is inexpensive? $20 or $50?

For beginners, depending on budget, I recommend (going down in price) Bakers, Mitchers, Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, Costco/Kirkland brand (although it appears to have changed, so I don't know how it will be), and Very Old Barton. That takes you from about $50 a bottle to $15 a bottle, and generally are pretty easy to drink. For a beginner, if you have the choice between higher and lower proof, go lower. Make sure it is on ice, and don't be afraid to cut it with water or mix it with anything (but the correct answer is Ginger Ale or an Old Fashioned).

Whiskey isn't for everyone. Same as anything. I enjoy it a lot. I hate tequila. Don't force it on yourself if you don't like it; if you need a mixer to like it, go for the mixer.

But am really not a fan of Makers myself--too sweet. Far too sweet. So my opinion may not be the best for you if you enjoyed Makers.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14518 on: August 11, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
I like booze

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14519 on: August 11, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »
I have two.

What is inexpensive? $20 or $50?

For beginners, depending on budget, I recommend (going down in price) Bakers, Mitchers, Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, Costco/Kirkland brand (although it appears to have changed, so I don't know how it will be), and Very Old Barton. That takes you from about $50 a bottle to $15 a bottle, and generally are pretty easy to drink. For a beginner, if you have the choice between higher and lower proof, go lower. Make sure it is on ice, and don't be afraid to cut it with water or mix it with anything (but the correct answer is Ginger Ale or an Old Fashioned).

Whiskey isn't for everyone. Same as anything. I enjoy it a lot. I hate tequila. Don't force it on yourself if you don't like it; if you need a mixer to like it, go for the mixer.

But am really not a fan of Makers myself--too sweet. Far too sweet. So my opinion may not be the best for you if you enjoyed Makers.

I think Makers is a gateway bourbon, it's what I drank until I decided I liked bourbon and now I'm not much of a Makers fan.  Knob Creek is my go-to mainstream bourbon in a bar/restaurant/etc.

Proud Foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14520 on: August 11, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »
I have two.

Great thing about bourbons is that you can buy great bottles for well under $50 all day long.

Try:
-Buffalo Trace
-Eagle Rare
-Maker's 46
-Four Roses

Don't forget about Wild Turkey.  Its about $20 for a bottle of the 101.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14521 on: August 11, 2016, 02:16:41 PM »
I hate tequila. Don't force it on yourself if you don't like it; if you need a mixer to like it, go for the mixer.

That's a good point, my entire life I would drink tequila with a mix or other things, never straight. That is until I tried a Guatemalan tequila that completely blew my mind. I'm somewhat tempted to buy a bottle, it's like $40.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14522 on: August 11, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »
I have two.

Try:
-Buffalo Trace
-Eagle Rare
-Maker's 46
-Four Roses

Don't forget about Wild Turkey.  Its about $20 for a bottle of the 101.

Thanks for the advice, I would like to stay around $30 and under for the time being because I'm newish to bourbon and I fundamentally believe that as you upgrade the level of your poison your enjoyment doesn't change, it's just the cost and snobbish factor that does. I regret being a beer snob as it costs me more to get the same enjoyment as my warehouse manger gets off a Coors Light.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14523 on: August 11, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »
MGO

Eagle rare...hands down, it's about 35 a bottle here, it's our go to, a great quality for the price for a beginner bottle.

In regards to Buffalo Trace vs Pappy.   WORLDS and WORLDS and WORLDS apart, you'd never know they were from the same place.  Pappy is hands down the best bourbon I've had in my life, both the 20 and the 23 year are great (and thanks to best friends hobby I've now had several hundred brands, I bring the food, he does a tasting party).  However it's next to impossible to get without paying the highly inflated online price of about 2k.  Seriously, our liquor store got robbed last year on Pappy delivery day, dude didn't take money, he stuck them up for their 2 bottles they were alloted.  Best friend got it in some back woods liquor store that had been stiffed on their initial allotment, he had to help unload an entire truck to get it at liquor store price. 

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14524 on: August 11, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »
I have two.

Blanton's.  Not the cheapest but at around $55 a bottle it's not super high end.  And boy is it good!

Whistle Pig also makes a great rye.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14525 on: August 12, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
Why the hell is everyone talking about bottles?

buy a handle of the stuff it's not like bourbon goes bad...
"the only efficient way to get there is on the front of the wave" -MMM

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14526 on: August 12, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »

1: The handle isn't always the best deal 
2: I like to experiment with a lot of it. I am not willing to buy a handle if I don't know if I'll like it
3: My favorite bottom shelf brand doesn't come in a handle, at least around me
4: I don't drink it that fast. I've moved with one particular handle 3 times now (College, landlord sold place, new job)
5: It is a pain to pour from some handles. This was a big issue for my grandpa in his old age; we'd buy him the little flask sized ones and pour from the handle into that.

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14527 on: August 12, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
I have two.

Blanton's.  Not the cheapest but at around $55 a bottle it's not super high end.  And boy is it good!

Whistle Pig also makes a great rye.

Damn, I didn't mean to turn this thread over to the drunks. :)

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14528 on: August 12, 2016, 04:16:25 PM »
Man, I need a drink.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14529 on: August 12, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

1: The handle isn't always the best deal 
2: I like to experiment with a lot of it. I am not willing to buy a handle if I don't know if I'll like it
3: My favorite bottom shelf brand doesn't come in a handle, at least around me
4: I don't drink it that fast. I've moved with one particular handle 3 times now (College, landlord sold place, new job)
5: It is a pain to pour from some handles. This was a big issue for my grandpa in his old age; we'd buy him the little flask sized ones and pour from the handle into that.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14530 on: August 13, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »

Damn, I didn't mean to turn this thread over to the drunks. :)

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14531 on: August 13, 2016, 05:52:09 PM »

I really enjoyed the Buffalo Trace rye, I got an >80% full bottle for free. Left over from an in-store tasting.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14532 on: August 13, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
I like to be under blankets when I sleep, so I need to keep it a little cooler than ideal on the other levels to keep it comfy on the bedroom level.

FWIW, I also find it much easier to get to sleep when there's a heavy feeling blanket on top of me, but really didn't want to waste all that energy in the summer.  I got a cheap heavy rope net and spread it out over the sheets.  Under the sheet it feels like you're sleeping under a big comforter, but it traps almost no heat at all.

Genius!

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #14533 on: August 13, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »
I haven't overheard anything good at work this weekend, but I wanted to post just so there's another recent post that isn't about #%@!ing bourbon. ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14534 on: August 13, 2016, 11:38:20 PM »
I haven't overheard anything good at work this weekend, but I wanted to post just so there's another recent post that isn't about #%@!ing bourbon. ;)

You do realize that your post was about bourbon...

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14535 on: August 14, 2016, 06:38:21 AM »

You do realize that your post was about bourbon...

Technically their post was about that many of the posts have been about bourbon.

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14536 on: August 14, 2016, 02:43:43 PM »
Rick: "Your story had me a little confused. Or maybe it was the bourbon."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14537 on: August 14, 2016, 05:47:51 PM »
I think I've decided on Buffalo Trace.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14538 on: August 15, 2016, 03:13:59 AM »
Overheard with friends:

Friend: "Any book recommendations? I know you like to read."

Me: "I've recently enjoyed x y and z"

Friend: "Great. Where do you buy your books from? I never know where is the best place?"

Me: "Oh I don't buy fiction, I get them at the library."

Friend: "Yeah, but I read in bed. I don't like the idea of something someone else has touched in my bed."

Me: ........................? (Yeah, mainly I was trying to think up dirty jokes, but I was actually left speechless).

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14539 on: August 15, 2016, 03:35:39 AM »
Overheard with friends:

Friend: "Great. Where do you buy your books from? I never know where is the best place?"

Friend: "Yeah, but I read in bed. I don't like the idea of something someone else has touched in my bed."

Me: ........................? (Yeah, mainly I was trying to think up dirty jokes, but I was actually left speechless).

"Was your wife a virgin when you met her?"

pancakes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14540 on: August 15, 2016, 04:00:11 AM »
A colleague who is single and paying minimal rent in a house their parents own and struggling to make ends meet discovered on the weekend that their sibling earns less than them, is paying a mortgage, raising two kids, supporting a stay at home parent and is getting by just fine.

Hopefully this is the moment when they realise the problem isn't the world or that they are not paid enough but the problem is them and their spending.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14541 on: August 15, 2016, 04:59:12 AM »

I did actually come up with that one (well, husband) but actually, they're high school sweethearts, so I actually think they both were!

Points for being consistent, I guess?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14542 on: August 15, 2016, 05:01:58 AM »

I did actually come up with that one (well, husband) but actually, they're high school sweethearts, so I actually think they both were!

Points for being consistent, I guess?

And here I was hoping that it'd be a teachable moment...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14543 on: August 15, 2016, 06:32:02 AM »
Overheard with friends:

... Newsflash: bookstore employees have touched new books.

Also, gawd, I wish men like this would talk more when you first meet them. It'd save a lot of time.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14544 on: August 15, 2016, 06:58:29 AM »
I did explain that books are made in factories, travel in shipping containers, get unloaded by some Saturday kid who's probably been to the loo and not washed his hands, then picked his nose... not to mentioned fondled by shoppers, scanned by the shop assistant etc.

Apparently that is fine, library germs are not. Interestingly the friend in question would happily read library books elsewhere in the home... just not in bed. I wish we had a 'mind-boggled' emoticon.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14545 on: August 15, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
A colleague who is single and paying minimal rent in a house their parents own and struggling to make ends meet discovered on the weekend that their sibling earns less than them, is paying a mortgage, raising two kids, supporting a stay at home parent and is getting by just fine.

Hopefully this is the moment when they realise the problem isn't the world or that they are not paid enough but the problem is them and their spending.

I'll bet their problem suddenly becomes that the country gives too many tax breaks to married people with kids.

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14546 on: August 15, 2016, 07:27:11 AM »
I finally joined the fun!

Overheard at my wife's work:
CW and his wife are buying their first house and are moving in a week or so.  They went to a pet store/breeder, his wife fell in love with a purebred dog (didn't hear what kind).  CW figures it'll be about $800... Nope.  $2,500. 

CW objects because they can't afford it, but she reeeeeally wants it, so they finance it.

Not sure what the rate or duration is, but hopefully they're not completely caught off guard by home and dog maintenance costs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:34:23 AM by Rogue »

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14547 on: August 15, 2016, 07:32:06 AM »

I'll bet their problem suddenly becomes that the country gives too many tax breaks to married people with kids.

And right he would be. As a single person with a child making an above average wage (and over 2x the average person my age), I'd make the argument that my country gives too much to people with children. ;)

I finally joined fun!

Overheard at my wife's work:
CW and his wife are buying their first house and are moving in a week or so.  They went to a pet store/breeder, his wife fell in love with a purebred dog (didn't hear what kind).  CW figures it'll be about $800... Nope.  $2,500. 

CW objects because they can't afford it, but she reeeeeally wants it, so they finance it.

Not sure what the rate or duration is, but hopefully they're not completely caught off guard by home and dog maintenance costs.

I like animals, a lot. But the price of some of these things cause an ache in my heart. Hundreds a year for food/healthcare/doggy daycare. Thousands for some people if they move far away from their job and buy an expensive, large house to have pets.

Not to be offensive but I have a feeling that many people get so obsessed and ignore prices for pets because they don't have children; but children can be cheaper than pets. (Going back to my above writing in this post, last year because of the messed up system I actually made $265.78/month net from having a child. Not including child support, it was 265.36$/month.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:43:13 AM by kayvent »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #14548 on: August 15, 2016, 08:11:28 AM »
Overheard with friends:

"That's what s/he said."
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14549 on: August 15, 2016, 08:41:52 AM »
Overheard with friends:

... Newsflash: bookstore employees have touched new books.

Also, gawd, I wish men like this would talk more when you first meet them. It'd save a lot of time.
I did explain that books are made in factories, travel in shipping containers, get unloaded by some Saturday kid who's probably been to the loo and not washed his hands, then picked his nose... not to mentioned fondled by shoppers, scanned by the shop assistant etc.

Apparently that is fine, library germs are not. Interestingly the friend in question would happily read library books elsewhere in the home... just not in bed. I wish we had a 'mind-boggled' emoticon.

Bringing the foam back to overheard at work: this is actually a thing I encountered ALL THE TIME when working at a bookstore. People would bring their books up to the cash register and not let me touch them, but would hold them up while I scanned them.

It was kinda annoying, because it was harder to ring up, and they inevitably went to the wrong bar code first (our system could only read the one that was programmed with the ISBN, not the one for big-box stores). But it was hilarious because the cashiers were inevitably the cleanest employees. Dear customer, do you have any idea what our receiving employees or morning stockers are like? (And I was a stocker for awhile!)

That doesn't even touch the problems with other customers! Seinfeld lied to you; there is absolutely no way to track a book that's been in the bathroom, nor would we care.