Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252689 times)

KodeBlue

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14050 on: July 22, 2016, 12:24:21 AM »
I had this conversation today... it's not mind blowing like somethings on this thread, but it amused me. Because CW seems very suspicious of our lifestyle and loves to challenge me when we are "spending money" as if to prove we aren't as frugal as we appear (I feel I should note, I never actually bring up money with this particular person, she just really seems very interested in how I choose to spend my money since the time she over heard me talking about savings and retirement with someone who was genuinely interested and of a similar mindset of me)

CW: What are you doing tonight?
Me: Going to a baseball game.
CW: Oh, [Triple A team one hour away]? That's fun. But I thought you didn't spend money on things like that!
Me: No, [college league team in town]. The games are a lot fun and tickets are really cheap, even if DH hadn't gotten tonight's tickets free through work.
CW: Well you still have to drive there and pay for gas!
Me: We'll ride our bikes. It's only about 5 miles.
CW: But it might rain.
Me: So we'll get wet?
CW: Well you still have to eat supper at the park!
Me: We'll just eat at home before we go.
CW: That's just weird.
Me:Fuck you.
fixed it for you.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14051 on: July 22, 2016, 03:44:10 AM »
Speaking of iPhones, my 4S died recently and couldn't be fixed.   I qualified for a free upgrade to a 6, or - for a mere $50 - I could get a 6S.   I kept saying patiently "I want the free one, please."   The guy didn't give up until I said "Look - I loved my 4S.   The only reason why I'm here today for an upgrade is that it can't be fixed."

What appeared to be the problem? All the components can be bought on amazon so it's very likely it could be fixed after watching a few youtubes. My latest issue was with the charging port, but have also swapped batteries and screens fairly quickly.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14052 on: July 22, 2016, 06:55:32 AM »
A colleague is finishing up today after being made redundant.

He will be 76 in October and the company has been waiting for him to bow out gracefully, but he just couldn't afford to retire.

He's on his fifth wife. Wears $15 shirts but gets them dry-cleaned. Buys two or three coffees a day. His wife is in her late 60 and she 'retired' for about six months and is now back at work.

They moved last year to a five-bedroom house "so we have room for the grandchildren when they visit". A colleague told me they are renting, estimated their rent at $950-$1150/week.

I've rolled my eyes a lot at this guy's behaviour over the years but now it's just ... sad.

Oh wow... that is really sad... almost $60,000 a year in rent! How on earth is he going to afford that now?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14053 on: July 22, 2016, 08:58:05 AM »
A colleague is finishing up today after being made redundant.

He will be 76 in October and the company has been waiting for him to bow out gracefully, but he just couldn't afford to retire.

He's on his fifth wife. Wears $15 shirts but gets them dry-cleaned. Buys two or three coffees a day. His wife is in her late 60 and she 'retired' for about six months and is now back at work.

They moved last year to a five-bedroom house "so we have room for the grandchildren when they visit". A colleague told me they are renting, estimated their rent at $950-$1150/week.

I've rolled my eyes a lot at this guy's behaviour over the years but now it's just ... sad.

Oh wow... that is really sad... almost $60,000 a year in rent! How on earth is he going to afford that now?

Yeah that is incredibly sad. It's always unfortunate when you see someone that has been working their entire life and still doesn't have much savings. A good friend of mine's parents are amazing, but it's crazy that he's still working at 65 after 40+ years of working and they have a house that has about 7 years of payments left, and they are still eating out and buying plenty of toys. My friend told me that they recently bought a friend's pontoon even though they already had one that was only a little bit smaller.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14054 on: July 22, 2016, 09:34:04 AM »
I am not at all frugal about eating out (I know, it's on me), but I will eat a protein bar on the way rather than ice cold nachos or an old hot dog at a sports game. Even in box seats at major NYC  games, I still haven't seen too much approaching actual food at games.

My personal weakness is for the poutine at the local minor league baseball stadium. I get it every time.

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14055 on: July 22, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »
When new lunch places open up around my office (NYC) CWs have been coming back saying "yea it wasn't bad, and it was only about $10!"

I always want to reply, "yea, or only 3 grand a year!!"

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #14056 on: July 22, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »
I had this conversation today... it's not mind blowing like somethings on this thread, but it amused me. Because CW seems very suspicious of our lifestyle and loves to challenge me when we are "spending money" as if to prove we aren't as frugal as we appear (I feel I should note, I never actually bring up money with this particular person, she just really seems very interested in how I choose to spend my money since the time she over heard me talking about savings and retirement with someone who was genuinely interested and of a similar mindset of me)

CW: Oh, [Triple A team one hour away]? That's fun. But I thought you didn't spend money on things like that!
Me: No, [college league team in town]. The games are a lot fun and tickets are really cheap, even if DH hadn't gotten tonight's tickets free through work.

Just replying to add, we did in fact get wet. Didn't change our enjoyment of the game (or the lovely ride home). Also ate at home, because, like others have mentioned, the food is better there. But I did get ice cream at the park. They just have really ice cream.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #14057 on: July 22, 2016, 09:49:44 AM »
They just have really ice cream.
So cream. Very dairy. Wow.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14058 on: July 22, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
I am not at all frugal about eating out (I know, it's on me), but I will eat a protein bar on the way rather than ice cold nachos or an old hot dog at a sports game. Even in box seats at major NYC  games, I still haven't seen too much approaching actual food at games.

My personal weakness is for the poutine at the local minor league baseball stadium. I get it every time.

If there were poutine I might also be weak. $10 popcorn, not so much.  Although I do buy $10 beers, haha.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14059 on: July 22, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »

If there were poutine I might also be weak. $10 popcorn, not so much.  Although I do buy $10 beers, haha.

Man, benefit of living in the middle of nowhere.
12 oz beer at our minor league baseball game are only $1.50 on Thursdays.  Friday it's $5 for a 16 oz mug with $2.50 refills.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14060 on: July 22, 2016, 11:29:28 AM »

Man, benefit of living in the middle of nowhere.
12 oz beer at our minor league baseball game are only $1.50 on Thursdays.  Friday it's $5 for a 16 oz mug with $2.50 refills.

Half price on refills?!  That's dangerous, the more I drink the less my price-pre-beer is!

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14061 on: July 22, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »

TIL it is apparently weird to eat before attending a sports game.

For me, I kinda enjoy the bad junk food at the games.  It's part of the experience for me, but I appreciate that others don't see that as a good use of their money.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14062 on: July 22, 2016, 11:53:47 AM »

For me, I kinda enjoy the bad junk food at the games.  It's part of the experience for me, but I appreciate that others don't see that as a good use of their money.

Yeah, overall I don't find going to games to be a productive use of money so I rarely go to games. I went to one game last year, a minor league game. Tickets were $5 for outfield "seats" (grassy section that you can sit on). I did spend some coin on getting beer (have a ton of good beers there) and some food. I came out ahead a bit, as they were handing out free vouchers for Wendy's Baconator Jr and after I asked for one from a friend who's a vegetarian, everyone asked for one. I don't eat Wendy's, but that was 12 free Baconator Jrs for me, so that was 12 meals I didn't have to cook for.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14063 on: July 23, 2016, 11:24:10 AM »

No matter how many times I use that line I still get a little thrill of being a laconic badass. It has that real "Then we'll fight in the shade" ring to it.
Meh.
Your answer should be:
(It might rain!)
Then we will be singing in the rain.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14064 on: July 23, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »
A dear friend at work needs a second car for the family. From my understanding, the only use case is driving 15KM twice a workday with a one-year infant and their car seat in back. Their family had X thousand to spend on a vehicle's downpayment. One day, CW was talking about how they were going to look at some new <high-end SUV> to lease (spend X thousand upfront, pay sub 100/monthly for the lease, then planning to buy the vehicle after the lease). They wanted to do this so they wouldn't have two car payments simultaneously.

I wanted to speak up. I wanted someone to speak up. Someone. None of us did. Some of us talked about it later but none of use suggested that we should convince the colleague. The next day, an update on the car quest. An older CW rebukes the entire plan. Finally, sanity. The car expert then pipes up "Get the newest used Camry or Accord for X thousand that works best for you in a testdrive. Done." They have an discussion on why, logically, a lease is wrong and a Camry/Accord with no loan is best.

CW (hopefully) will save tens of thousands of dollars over the next few decades now. Horror story of clown-car clown debt averted.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:01:26 PM by kayvent »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14065 on: July 23, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »
My husband and his team have been working on a contract basis since January, and have not had tax withheld from their pay. Which led to this conversation.

CW1: I'm putting aside so much money.
CW2: Oh yeah? How much?
CW1: 10 per cent.
CW2: ... for tax or savings?
CW1: Both.
CW2: ...
CW1: Why, how much is tax?

This guy hadn't filed a tax return in five years.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14066 on: July 24, 2016, 12:51:34 AM »
My husband and his team have been working on a contract basis since January, and have not had tax withheld from their pay. Which led to this conversation.

I don't understand how so many people don't understand taxes at a fundamental level. I have people who want to get preapproved for a loan, and when I say we'll need two years tax returns they just stare at me....

Then I have the ones that say they haven't filed for the current year yet... in July. and that they do this every year. These are not the uber rich people who wont notice a small fee from the IRS for an extension.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14067 on: July 24, 2016, 01:12:33 AM »

I don't understand how so many people don't understand taxes at a fundamental level. I have people who want to get preapproved for a loan, and when I say we'll need two years tax returns they just stare at me....

Then I have the ones that say they haven't filed for the current year yet... in July. and that they do this every year. These are not the uber rich people who wont notice a small fee from the IRS for an extension.

Another guy just quit in favour of earning less as a FT employee. I understand wanting the security of a FT position, but it basically came down to the fact that he and his wife couldn't manage paying taxes, HECS, super, etc out of monthly contractor pay. The money would come in, they would spend it, and everything else would fall by the wayside. They opted for him take a pay cut on a FT position so someone else would take care of all that.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14068 on: July 24, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »
What appeared to be the problem?

The battery wouldn't hold a charge.    I Googled replacing the battery, and a lot of the comments I read put me off - "it was really difficult, and the new battery doesn't hold a charge either!".   So, I figured since I qualified for a free upgrade, that's what I'd do.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14069 on: July 24, 2016, 11:24:19 AM »
What appeared to be the problem?

The battery wouldn't hold a charge.    I Googled replacing the battery, and a lot of the comments I read put me off - "it was really difficult, and the new battery doesn't hold a charge either!".   So, I figured since I qualified for a free upgrade, that's what I'd do.

I bought my iPhone 5 in December 2013.  In October or November 2015, the phone stopped working, randomly shutting down and other such strangeness.  I brought it into the Apple store fearing the worst.  Quick diagnosis by the technicians that it had a "swollen battery," which was under the standard Apple warranty for 2 years.  So, about 1 year and 10-11 months into ownership, I qualified for a brand new replacement of the same model at absolutely no cost to me and no contract extension or other such nonsense.  That was pretty awesome, as it extended the length of time that I can keep the "same" phone by probably an extra 2 years.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14070 on: July 24, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »

Perhaps back in the day when personal rates were lower, computers took up rooms, and basic math skills and literacy qualified one to be a manager of 1000's of people, being late was something understandable. But tax returns nowadays (in Canada) for most people is just transferring the numbers from a T4 slip to a piece of software, filling out personal information, and hitting submit.

Not that I don't have equal faults but these people scare me. Especially when they are young (sub-40).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:07:52 PM by kayvent »

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14071 on: July 24, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »
My colleague, who earns A LOT (guesstimate around 5-6k net a month), and who has already had seriouss medical problems, and 2 kids under 5:
One day: well, my husbad (who doesn't earn a lot) wanted a big Mercedes. So I told him, well, we have the money now, so we can spend it. We have a 700€ per month car payment now, but we really enjoy the car.

Next day:
I tried to get life insurance with my children as beneficiaries, but couldn't get one due to my past medical problems. Man, if I could at least leave them something like 10k each if something happens to me. But who the hell has 10k lying around??

One week later:
We found a great house! With everything, only 750k!

Later:
For my new office (she will start her own business soon, which will be very profitable), I will buy 80k of office equipment.

So, she is 30 years old, will soon have 800k in debt, has bad health and 2 little ones. Is this just me, or does anyone else hear the bomb ticking??

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14072 on: July 24, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »
Is this just me, or does anyone else hear the bomb ticking??

Nope, just you.

The rest of us are deaf from the numerous mustachian heads exploding ( ours included ).

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14073 on: July 24, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »

I live a few blocks from a MLB ballpark.  I regularly go to the ticket window 1-2 hours before game time to request the $5 tickets.  This ballpark allows food to be brought in, so when groups of us go, I often bring snack bags of pistachios, swedish fish, and sometimes even make great sandwiches.  But when it's just me or just me and a friend, I LOVE the food they sell at the park. yes, it's gross, but you can't really get it anywhere  else and if you limit it to just the ballpark, then you're kind of okay. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14074 on: July 24, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »

I have never heard of poutine before, I looked it up and now wish I had a plate of it in front of me.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14075 on: July 24, 2016, 04:05:38 PM »

I have never heard of poutine before, I looked it up and now wish I had a plate of it in front of me.

I've only had it once. It was so damn good. So good.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #14076 on: July 24, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
[I am not at all frugal about eating out (I know, it's on me), but I will eat a protein bar on the way rather than ice cold nachos or an old hot dog at a sports game. Even in box seats at major NYC  games, I still haven't seen too much approaching actual food at games.

I am also more about value.  I'd rather starve for hours than pay money for some food items.  That doesn't mean that I won't pay $$$ for a meal.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14077 on: July 24, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »

Love me some poutine!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14078 on: July 25, 2016, 02:11:43 AM »
[I am not at all frugal about eating out (I know, it's on me), but I will eat a protein bar on the way rather than ice cold nachos or an old hot dog at a sports game. Even in box seats at major NYC  games, I still haven't seen too much approaching actual food at games.

I am also more about value.  I'd rather starve for hours than pay money for some food items.  That doesn't mean that I won't pay $$$ for a meal.

Haha!  I told my wife today that I refused to eat a tiny $5 hot dog on moral grounds.  It was like 5 pm and I hadn't eaten yet.  She was not amused.  Don't worry, I lived

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14079 on: July 25, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »

Living in a suburb of Canada has its advantages.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14080 on: July 25, 2016, 09:19:57 AM »

Haha!  I told my wife today that I refused to eat a tiny $5 hot dog on moral grounds.  It was like 5 pm and I hadn't eaten yet.  She was not amused.  Don't worry, I lived

I've learned that when people around me are insistent that I eat, regardless of the costs, it usually is because I'm HANGRY!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14081 on: July 25, 2016, 09:28:25 AM »

I've learned that when people around me are insistent that I eat, regardless of the costs, it usually is because I'm HANGRY!

Basically what I'd be telling my husband. 5$ for a hotdog is obscene. 5$ to not spend a few hours dealing with a cranky hangry husband is entirely reasonable. Depends what you're paying for. ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14082 on: July 25, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »

Basically what I'd be telling my husband. 5$ for a hotdog is obscene. 5$ to not spend a few hours dealing with a cranky hangry husband is entirely reasonable. Depends what you're paying for. ;)

Perhaps I was a bit HANGRY

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14083 on: July 25, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
One time I went to Chik-Fil-A with my wife and a friend.  We got to the counter and my wife ordered.  Once she finished, she goes, "what do you want?"  At that moment, I just didn't feel like spending $3 on a sandwich so I said that I won't be getting anything.  She wasn't too pleased as I was the one who chose Chik-Fil-A.

Oops!

Oops is right -- I'm on your wife's side for this one!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14084 on: July 25, 2016, 02:55:55 PM »

Omg poutine!!!

Last year we hosted a potluck birthday party for our friend who is French-Canadian. The food theme was "something Canadian." I made poutine and it was disgusting, , but some people liked it.

I'm suppose it is no different than melted velveeta on top of taco chips.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14085 on: July 25, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
Last year we hosted a potluck birthday party for our friend who is French-Canadian. The food theme was "something Canadian." I made poutine and it was disgusting, , but some people liked it.

I was always afraid of poutine after getting into a conversation with a group of Canadians about it. "It's got cheese curds and gravy on top!" "Gravy? Like... beef gravy?" "No, no, just...gravy." "But where does the gravy come from? Chicken? Beef? Turkey?" "It's gravy. It comes from a can. You know? Gravy!"

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14086 on: July 25, 2016, 03:05:25 PM »
One time I went to Chik-Fil-A with my wife and a friend.  We got to the counter and my wife ordered.  Once she finished, she goes, "what do you want?"  At that moment, I just didn't feel like spending $3 on a sandwich so I said that I won't be getting anything.  She wasn't too pleased as I was the one who chose Chik-Fil-A.

Oops!

Oops is right -- I'm on your wife's side for this one!
Me too.  Chik-fil-a sucks

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14087 on: July 25, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »

I was always afraid of poutine after getting into a conversation with a group of Canadians about it. "It's got cheese curds and gravy on top!" "Gravy? Like... beef gravy?" "No, no, just...gravy." "But where does the gravy come from? Chicken? Beef? Turkey?" "It's gravy. It comes from a can. You know? Gravy!"

As a Maritimer, I can relate but from the other side. I was late into my teens when I discovered that there were such things as beef gravy, turkey gravy, or chicken gravy.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14088 on: July 25, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »

As a Maritimer, I can relate but from the other side. I was late into my teens when I discovered that there were such things as beef gravy, turkey gravy, or chicken gravy.

So what is non-beef/turkey/chicken gravy?  That's like just 'broth'.  Broth/gravy of what?

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14089 on: July 25, 2016, 03:40:47 PM »

So what is non-beef/turkey/chicken gravy?  That's like just 'broth'.  Broth/gravy of what?

Brown gravy. Light brown if you are feeling fancy.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14090 on: July 25, 2016, 04:06:26 PM »
The thing with poutine is that you need those cheese curds, not mozzarella (like I got in Toronto once) or some other cheese. Go to Banquise in Montreal and order a chili poutine, smoked meat poutine, turkey poutine, pulled pork poutine . . . well the list is endless. Gravy is the classic poutine. I loooove poutine!

Edit to add, gravy should always be beef stock based.

When I worked at McD's here in Ontario their fries were cooked in beef shortening not vegetable shortening. Tons of vegetarians had no idea, when a vegetarian would ask "what besides the fries are vegetarian?" I would give them the surprise of their life "whaaaa no one ever told me!!!". I remember at the time the US had already switched to vegetable shortening for some years.

The irony was that the chicken products were cooked in vegetable shortening. I'm pretty sure the fries have switched over now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:21:12 PM by human »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14091 on: July 25, 2016, 04:13:40 PM »
The thing with poutine is that you need those cheese curds, not mozzarella (like I got in Toronto once) or some other cheese. Go to Banquise in Montreal and order a chili poutine, smoked meat poutine, turkey poutine, pulled pork poutine . . . well the list is endless. Gravy is the classic poutine. I loooove poutine!

Nooooo. The one with the roasted peppers and onions and mushrooms, if you're going to La Banquise.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14092 on: July 26, 2016, 05:07:54 AM »
When I worked at McD's here in Ontario their fries were cooked in beef shortening not vegetable shortening. Tons of vegetarians had no idea, when a vegetarian would ask "what besides the fries are vegetarian?" I would give them the surprise of their life "whaaaa no one ever told me!!!". I remember at the time the US had already switched to vegetable shortening for some years.
I believe they got into lots of trouble in India for exactly that thing, what with most (or a lot of) people there not eating beef products of any kind for religious reasons. Can't remember now where I read about that but it was in something like Fast Food Nation or Supersize Me, I think. I read a whole lot of books like that around the same time nine or ten years ago.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14093 on: July 26, 2016, 06:39:38 AM »
I believe they got into lots of trouble in India for exactly that thing, what with most (or a lot of) people there not eating beef products of any kind for religious reasons. Can't remember now where I read about that but it was in something like Fast Food Nation or Supersize Me, I think. I read a whole lot of books like that around the same time nine or ten years ago.

Correct. They conducted a study to show that in India they were not using beef. I know that many of my relatives were very unhappy when they found out about their beloved fries.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14094 on: July 26, 2016, 07:07:25 AM »

Don't forget poutine's slutty American cousin, disco fries!  Instead of cheese curds, it's mozzarella.  Very popular at Jersey diners for after-clubbing drunk meals.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14095 on: July 26, 2016, 07:18:14 AM »

Don't forget poutine's slutty American cousin, disco fries!  Instead of cheese curds, it's mozzarella.  Very popular at Jersey diners for after-clubbing drunk meals.

I just HAD to Google both types of fries after a virtuous healthy homecooked pasta salad dinner. Damn it!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14096 on: July 26, 2016, 07:53:23 AM »

+1 Also, as an ignorant northeasterner, cheese curds sound like the part of the cheese that you skim off the top and throw away. What the heck is a curd? Yuck.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14097 on: July 26, 2016, 08:06:47 AM »
As a not so ignorant southerner (who had Wisconsin relatives), cheese curds are fresh cheese!  When cheese is made from milk, the solids form curds, and the watery stuff is whey.  Curds and whey!

The curds are pressed together and aged, but fresh (squeaky!) cheese curds are delicious. 

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14098 on: July 26, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »
The brilliance of using cheese curds instead of other cheese is that the curds don't melt in hot gravy, they just get soft and delicious.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14099 on: July 26, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »
I was talking to my warehosue manager, who was asking about my house. I mentioned that I'm trying to pay it off in 15 years and he mentioned that when he first buoght a house he didn't know that you could pay more than the PITI. He's a good man, but I really didn't know what to say. He's fairly smart and looks stuff up all the time (we get some goofy producs in, so he'll Youtube them to see what they do) but I think his home owning days were pre-Internet.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!