Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 6253003 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14000 on: July 11, 2016, 10:21:40 PM »
Wow, looks like an edit went in *just* as I clicked quote, and I missed that it didn't say the original thing it said when I saw it.  The word "kids" was definitely not the first thing that appeared in that comment...

Now I'm even more confused, as armueller2001's post doesn't say it was edited.

Edit: When a post is edited, you'll see a little thing under the post that says  Last Edit: [time] by [forum handle]

Sometimes you can edit a post quick enough, and that doesn't show.  It will always show if more than a few minutes have passed, or if a reply is posted.  If lind had the tab open, muller edited it, lind hit quote, lind's quote would now have the new text, and there wouldn't necessarily have the edited by text.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #14001 on: July 11, 2016, 10:23:28 PM »
Just so everyone's not confused, by the way, replace "kids" in what I quoted above with the plural n-word.

(BTw, I edited this post too!)
Life is short. Save hard. Travel far.
http://frugalvagabond.com/
---------------------------------------
The Earth Awaits: The Custom Budget-building and Travel-Hacking Search Engine for World Travelers
https://www.theearthawaits.com/

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14002 on: July 11, 2016, 11:15:31 PM »
Wow, looks like an edit went in *just* as I clicked quote, and I missed that it didn't say the original thing it said when I saw it.  The word "kids" was definitely not the first thing that appeared in that comment...

Now I'm even more confused, as armueller2001's post doesn't say it was edited.

Edit: When a post is edited, you'll see a little thing under the post that says  Last Edit: [time] by [forum handle]

Sometimes you can edit a post quick enough, and that doesn't show.  It will always show if more than a few minutes have passed, or if a reply is posted.  If lind had the tab open, muller edited it, lind hit quote, lind's quote would now have the new text, and there wouldn't necessarily have the edited by text.

Oh that's weird. I didn't realize it gave you a short time window to edit without it showing as edited.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14003 on: July 12, 2016, 12:10:32 AM »
Just so everyone's not confused, by the way, replace "kids" in what I quoted above with the plural n-word.

(BTw, I edited this post too!)

Just the second one, I assume? 

That's definitely a weird thing to say.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14004 on: July 12, 2016, 01:57:32 AM »
Where has armueller gone?  The n word is not something that will typically autocorrect but let's not jump to conclusions without a mat

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #14005 on: July 12, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »
Where has armueller gone?  The n word is not something that will typically autocorrect but let's not jump to conclusions without a mat

maybe depends on how often you type it in your device?
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14006 on: July 12, 2016, 07:05:58 AM »
There also has to be a way to change subscription options. I don't get a notification of anything from this forum but private messages.

I think the "official" way is to lock a thread and link to the new version. That way anyone who doesn't want to keep seeing it in "new posts" can avoid it.

I'm tempted to make a new account sometimes because I've posted in way too many threads I don't care about that keep. on. going.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14007 on: July 12, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
CoWorker: Well, we had to go out for dinner last night.
Self: You HAD to?
CoWorker: Yeah, we took out ground beef to make burgers, but then I realized we had no buns.
Self: So why not just run to the store and get buns?
CoWorker: Oh, if I used debit it would put us in overdraft and I don't want to pay the fees, but the restaurant takes VISA.

Facepalm & walk away.

What? The grocery store takes Visa too...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14008 on: July 12, 2016, 07:44:14 AM »
CoWorker: Yeah, we took out ground beef to make burgers, but then I realized we had no buns.
CoWorker: Oh, if I used debit it would put us in overdraft and I don't want to pay the fees, but the restaurant takes VISA.

Facepalm & walk away.
I'll admit to going to a restaurant because we had no buns. It's the inevitable result of no willpower+passing tons of restaurants on the walk to the grocery store. I am determined to try to make buns next time, however.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14009 on: July 12, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.
I'll admit to going to a restaurant because we had no buns. It's the inevitable result of no willpower+passing tons of restaurants on the walk to the grocery store. I am determined to try to make buns next time, however.

Too long to do--it is not a 30 minute endeavor.

Related, my wife and I didn't want the frozen salmon burgers again and all our spinach had gone bad. So our options were grilled cheese or soup. Neither seemed that appetizing in the heat, so we went out for tacos, which doesn't make any sense either. In our defense on that one, we did have a time crunch and had to get to the pharmacy before it closed (and yes, the tacos are faster than the grilled cheese).

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14010 on: July 12, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »

Too long to do--it is not a 30 minute endeavor.

Related, my wife and I didn't want the frozen salmon burgers again and all our spinach had gone bad. So our options were grilled cheese or soup. Neither seemed that appetizing in the heat, so we went out for tacos, which doesn't make any sense either. In our defense on that one, we did have a time crunch and had to get to the pharmacy before it closed (and yes, the tacos are faster than the grilled cheese).

These take an hour, but come out well. We've been happy with them. They could pass as slider buns in a pinch, but yeah, they take an hour.

http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/Quick-Pan-Rolls
SoccerLounge posted this recipe for 40 minute buns (which sounds like a workout video) in another thread: http://www.girlversusdough.com/2015/08/10/40-minute-super-soft-hamburger-buns/
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14011 on: July 12, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »
And both of those have been bookmarked. Thanks folks!

But the hour is still sometimes too long for my wife. Last night for instance--we both got home around 7:30PM, she hadn't had a chance to eat her lunch, and on top of that it was a certain time of the month... Yeah, food needed to be served NOW.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14012 on: July 12, 2016, 08:46:28 AM »
What? The grocery store takes Visa too...

Some do, some don't depends which store you go to. Regardless; around here the menu would change to chili or spaghetti or something else we had on hand.

Or burgers without buns? That is a thing...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14013 on: July 12, 2016, 08:46:52 AM »
Oh c'mon! You don't need buns to enjoy your burger. I rarely use buns nowadays as I don't really enjoy their taste. I either use lettuce to hold it together or just eat it with a knife and fork. You can even mix it with a salad.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14014 on: July 12, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
Oh c'mon! You don't need buns to enjoy your burger. I rarely use buns nowadays as I don't really enjoy their taste. I either use lettuce to hold it together or just eat it with a knife and fork. You can even mix it with a salad.

You're making your buns wrong then.  Buns are the BEST part of the hamburger.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14015 on: July 12, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »

I suppose you have me there, I don't make my buns, I just buy them in the grocery store  (or used to) and then would put them on a grill for a little bit before consumption.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14016 on: July 12, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »

Alas, I cannot have the carbs that often.  So 3/4 times I have burgers, they must be bunless.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #14017 on: July 12, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »
Coworker who just bought a new house, owns a huge truck (that he has admitted to paying 750 a month on and never uses it except to commute the 50 miles to work), whose wife leased an Audi without telling him, just was bragging about his week of vacation in the Hamptons...

God, I'm glad I am not his wallet. It must hurt so much.
"Just because it's common, doesn't mean it's normal."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14018 on: July 12, 2016, 01:35:54 PM »
There also has to be a way to change subscription options. I don't get a notification of anything from this forum but private messages.

I think the "official" way is to lock a thread and link to the new version. That way anyone who doesn't want to keep seeing it in "new posts" can avoid it.

I'm tempted to make a new account sometimes because I've posted in way too many threads I don't care about that keep. on. going.

I say we *nuke the whole thread from orbit... It's the only way to be surr
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:52:35 PM by dragoncar »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14019 on: July 12, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
Coworker who just bought a new house, owns a huge truck (that he has admitted to paying 750 a month on and never uses it except to commute the 50 miles to work), whose wife leased an Audi without telling him, just was bragging about his week of vacation in the Hamptons...

That's not a bad idea. In fact, maybe it could be done once a year - as a housekeeping task. Mods?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14020 on: July 12, 2016, 01:53:55 PM »

That's not a bad idea. In fact, maybe it could be done once a year - as a housekeeping task. Mods?

Of course we will lease an Audi every year.  Standard housekeeping task

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14021 on: July 12, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »

Of course we will lease an Audi every year.  Standard housekeeping task

And we were just talking about properly quoting people!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14022 on: July 12, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
Dang! Got me. Sorry!

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14023 on: July 12, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
And we were just talking about properly quoting people!

totes

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14024 on: July 12, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »

I was trying to quote this ^

I think if we could do this once a year - just for these mondo threads - it would help us out a little.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14025 on: July 12, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »

I was trying to quote this ^

I think if we could do this once a year - just for these mondo threads - it would help us out a little.

And force me to re-post every year just to keep it on my list of threads? Oy vey

PriestTheRunner

• Bristles
« Reply #14026 on: July 12, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »
Posting to get replies.
"The mathematical formula for the number of motorcycles you need is   x+1, where x is the number of motorcycles you currently have."

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #14027 on: July 12, 2016, 03:18:53 PM »
Refinance your student loans with my SoFi referral and get $100: https://www.sofi.com/refer/5/18373

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14028 on: July 12, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »
Posting to get replies.

Lol

You just signed up for a discussion about how black boxes are actually orange.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14029 on: July 12, 2016, 05:17:01 PM »
SoccerLounge posted this recipe for 40 minute buns (which sounds like a workout video)...

*Slow clap.*

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14030 on: July 12, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »
Anyone else have Sir Mix-a-Lot in their heads right now?

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14031 on: July 12, 2016, 08:26:49 PM »
Anyone else have Sir Mix-a-Lot in their heads right now?

Every single day since 1992. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14032 on: July 12, 2016, 09:02:40 PM »
Posting to get replies.

Lol

Some of them are yellow.

MustacheMathTM

Rustycage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14033 on: July 12, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »
When I read stories like Prospector's, I start to think that some of these stories are made up.

But then reading through 280+ pages of this makes me realise that they aren't, and that these people commonly exist in the world.

:(

FWIW, I've made burgers plenty of times without buns, and have just put them on the same bread I use for toast ("Oh the horror!", I hear the typical Anti-Mustachian say)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14034 on: July 12, 2016, 09:25:20 PM »
FWIW, I've made burgers plenty of times without buns, and have just put them on the same bread I use for toast ("Oh the horror!", I hear the typical Anti-Mustachian say)

Right? It's not like they were out of mayo or something else imperative to having a hamburger.

MustacheMathTM

canuck_24

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14035 on: July 13, 2016, 08:16:53 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

It cracks me up that all the reactions are in regards to the buns... and nothing about how that package of buns would cause this family to go into overdraft?

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14036 on: July 13, 2016, 08:19:35 AM »
They don't have a jar of change laying around that they could pilfer for the $3 of hamburger buns?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14037 on: July 13, 2016, 08:59:49 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

It cracks me up that all the reactions are in regards to the buns... and nothing about how that package of buns would cause this family to go into overdraft?
I'm more confused on what grocery store does not take credit cards.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14038 on: July 13, 2016, 09:01:14 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

Aldi's for a while never took credit cards.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #14039 on: July 13, 2016, 09:08:17 AM »
Coworkers were standing around the hallway when one of them remembered she needed to cancel her free trial of some subscription service or other. The other starts going on about how she got duped into the American Greetings subscription and how ridiculous it was. She signed up 3 years ago when she had to send an e-card to a client and has been paying $4.99/month since! When I asked her if she was going to cancel, she said she couldn't because she might want to send another one someday, and then laughed and said but probably not.

$180 and counting for one e-card.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14040 on: July 13, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »
Posting to get replies.

Lol

Some of them are yellow.

See what you got yourself into?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14041 on: July 13, 2016, 09:38:29 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

Still don't, or at least mine didn't as of 3 or so months ago.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14042 on: July 13, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

Yeah they didn't for the longest time, but that also raises another point. You can buy buns for less than $2 if you buy the generic crap, more for better quality ones. Does the coworker not have that much cash on his/her person? You could scrounge through your car seats and likely pick up enough right there.

I realize that you coworker likely came home, found out that they were out of buns and being tired, stressed, and hungry likely said something along the lines "Q#)E it" and went out. I can sympathize, that's happened to me oftentimes.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14043 on: July 13, 2016, 09:52:53 AM »

I'm curious about where someone could possibly live where they have convenient access to only an Aldi's (and not also some other more mainstream, credit-card-accepting grocery).

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14044 on: July 13, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »

Facepalm & walk away.

They changed their policy four months ago.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/02/no-frills-supermarket-aldi-to-accept-credit-cards.html

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14045 on: July 13, 2016, 10:23:44 AM »
You can buy buns for less than $2 if you buy the generic crap, more for better quality ones. Does the coworker not have that much cash on his/her person? You could scrounge through your car seats and likely pick up enough right there.
I've basically stopped using cash before I moved into my apartment.  I don't think I could find $2 in there.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14046 on: July 13, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »

I'm curious about where someone could possibly live where they have convenient access to only an Aldi's (and not also some other more mainstream, credit-card-accepting grocery).

Another good point. I feel like 90% of Aldi's are literally right across the street from another grocery store. Or in the town where I went to college, 2 of them were in the same parking lot.

Vertical Mode

• Bristles
« Reply #14047 on: July 13, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »
I have one (and I'm ashamed to admit, I had an Anti-Mustachian part in this one).

12 of us from the office were out to lunch last week (longtime colleague left, we had a farewell lunch). Lunch ran us a short $30/person, which isn't as terrible as it could have been but still felt pretty rich to me since I bring mine from home every day.

In one of our sidebar conversations, several colleagues were extolling the virtues of leasing cars (no maintenance! predictable monthly payment! etc.) and all I could do was smile and cringe a little inside when they talked about how relatively inexpensive it is. It's their money and all, but jeez...
"That is why you will never be a good detective, Cato. It's so obvious, it cannot POSSIBLY be a trap..."

Link to my Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/trending-vertical-vertical-modes-journal/

PriestTheRunner

• Bristles
« Reply #14048 on: July 13, 2016, 11:40:59 AM »
Posting to get replies.

Lol

Sounds like my kind of people!  But aren't black boxes really multiple colors?  Black having every color and all that?  >D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:46:59 AM by PriestTheRunner »
"The mathematical formula for the number of motorcycles you need is   x+1, where x is the number of motorcycles you currently have."

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #14049 on: July 13, 2016, 11:43:24 AM »
Posting to get replies.

Lol

Sounds like my kind of people!  But aren't they really multiple colors?  Black having every color and all that?  >D

You're mixing that up. It's white that is the sum of all colors. Black is the absence of color.