Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252747 times)

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13950 on: July 13, 2016, 08:46:19 PM »
Now my daughter has her own piggy bank with $5-10 in change and small bills, she can use that if she wants.  I live 3 minutes from an ATM if I need money, and frankly, having cash around only encourages "poor behavior" like the ice cream truck and ordering delivery pizza and such.  I'm one of those weird ones who thinks carefully before whipping out the plastic, but paper currency goes through my hands like water, so I tend not to carry it.

I am pretty similar. My budget is based on my account balances so I basically treat cash as "free money." The budget thinks it has been spent! I do this partly because I let my daughter claim any lose change she finds around the house but mainly because for the amount of floating cash I have in a given month (20-30$ on the high end), I find too stressful to track. Every penny and transaction through my bank account or CC is vetted.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13951 on: July 13, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
I think you need to reread this thread if you think I'm some kind of aggressor here

Tell that to the car in your avatar!

Hey now, cars are an important part of a dragon's diet reproductive cycle.

Fixed above.  But I assure you it's 100% consexual

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13952 on: July 14, 2016, 03:48:58 AM »

Too long to do--it is not a 30 minute endeavor.

Related, my wife and I didn't want the frozen salmon burgers again and all our spinach had gone bad. So our options were grilled cheese or soup. Neither seemed that appetizing in the heat, so we went out for tacos, which doesn't make any sense either. In our defense on that one, we did have a time crunch and had to get to the pharmacy before it closed (and yes, the tacos are faster than the grilled cheese).

These take an hour, but come out well. We've been happy with them. They could pass as slider buns in a pinch, but yeah, they take an hour.

http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/Quick-Pan-Rolls
SoccerLounge posted this recipe for 40 minute buns (which sounds like a workout video) in another thread: http://www.girlversusdough.com/2015/08/10/40-minute-super-soft-hamburger-buns/

Hey, ya,  I made them the same day.  Very good recipe.   I recommend cutting the yeast in half and letting them rise for an hour, unless you have ZERO problems with yeast...and you have an hour...   :-)

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13953 on: July 14, 2016, 04:28:50 AM »
A burger without a bun is called a Patty Melt.

Anyone can justify anything if he wants to :)

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13954 on: July 14, 2016, 05:41:53 AM »
The whole Franklin v. Jackson notes, ice cream truck v. gas to escape zombie attack debate was epic!

Pressing matters! Which team were you on?
I thought poor Washington and Lincoln were maligned and had flashbacks to my childhood when I enjoyed a creamsicle from time to time. Now my life is sadly creamsicle free. I personally always have a few Future Tubmans in my wallet.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13955 on: July 14, 2016, 06:22:11 AM »
You do what works for you, I'll keep doing what works for me.  Keeping big bills on hand works for me.  Someday I might get screwed out of $99.  Someday.  Maybe.  Oh well.

I have the same issue as Chris. My solution is to use the small bills, but make it embarrassingly inconvenient to get to. Making it so it takes 5 minutes to get to cash is generally enough time to kick the urge to spend it. Thinking of examples like burying a firebox in attic insulation, hiding a bundle behind a water access panel, or taped to the bottom of the fridge.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13956 on: July 14, 2016, 06:27:09 AM »
You do what works for you, I'll keep doing what works for me.  Keeping big bills on hand works for me.  Someday I might get screwed out of $99.  Someday.  Maybe.  Oh well.

I have the same issue as Chris. My solution is to use the small bills, but make it embarrassingly inconvenient to get to. Making it so it takes 5 minutes to get to cash is generally enough time to kick the urge to spend it. Thinking of examples like burying a firebox in attic insulation, hiding a bundle behind a water access panel, or taped to the bottom of the fridge.

Pack it in a coffee can in the bottom of the freezer under whats left of a half a hog and quarter of beef. talk about cold hard cash

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #13957 on: July 14, 2016, 06:34:09 AM »

Pack it in a coffee can in the bottom of the freezer under whats left of a half a hog and quarter of beef. talk about cold hard cash

Or $ inside a small chicken carcass, stuffed inside of a turkey, wrapped up, and stored in the freezer. TurBuckEn.
:D

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #13958 on: July 14, 2016, 06:35:58 AM »

Now I'm just thinking of Eddie Murphy's ice cream skit..."You ain't got no ice cream, because your parents taped the money under the fridge, you ain't got no ice cream" 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13959 on: July 14, 2016, 06:40:50 AM »

Well, the other half of it for me is we keep everything important in one location.  If there's a fire/flood/disaster, I have a briefcase sized fire safe in an accessible place, it's easy to grab it and go, and now I have all my important documents and my cash in case I need it. 

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13960 on: July 14, 2016, 12:04:29 PM »

Or $ inside a small chicken carcass, stuffed inside of a turkey, wrapped up, and stored in the freezer. TurBuckEn.

I'm not sure if I'm laughing or groaning but +1 nonetheless.

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #13961 on: July 14, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »

LOL, "TurBuckEn."

(Oh god, if I jacked up the quotes I'm going to get yelled at)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13962 on: July 14, 2016, 04:45:27 PM »

LOL, "TurBuckEn."

or a bag of shredded cheese. it could be your secret cheddar stash.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13963 on: July 14, 2016, 06:33:11 PM »

LOL, "TurBuckEn."

Or in the crisper drawer as your lettuce, or in your mixing bowl as your dough. :D

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13964 on: July 14, 2016, 06:34:41 PM »
SoccerLounge posted this recipe for 40 minute buns (which sounds like a workout video)...

*Slow clap.*

Yeah, I honestly LOL'd at that!  Either way, best to wear your yoga pants while engaging in this activity :-)

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13965 on: July 14, 2016, 07:06:57 PM »
If carrying cash means it'll spend quick, fold a couple of twentys up and stick it in one of those hard to reach sections of the wallet, behind a little used ID card or some such. Just knowing I'm going to have to account for that spend means I don't touch it for regular purchases. This has saved me on multiple occasions, whether it be a random garage sale on the way home from work or avoiding an ATM fee at a retailer that won't, or can't, take a card. Same story with a couple folded blank checks, though those go in the main 'pocket'. I pretty much use cards 99% of the time, but I'd rather be ready when opportunity presents itself, then miss a deal.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13966 on: July 14, 2016, 09:13:47 PM »
If carrying cash means it'll spend quick, fold a couple of twentys up and stick it in one of those hard to reach sections of the wallet, behind a little used ID card or some such. Just knowing I'm going to have to account for that spend means I don't touch it for regular purchases. This has saved me on multiple occasions, whether it be a random garage sale on the way home from work or avoiding an ATM fee at a retailer that won't, or can't, take a card. Same story with a couple folded blank checks, though those go in the main 'pocket'. I pretty much use cards 99% of the time, but I'd rather be ready when opportunity presents itself, then miss a deal.

What I do is keep it up my ass.  It's there in an emergency, but otherwise I'm not going to pull it out.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13967 on: July 14, 2016, 10:19:39 PM »

LOL, "TurBuckEn."

Cheddar Stacker should get on this.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13968 on: July 15, 2016, 09:37:10 AM »
I've got one for you guys.   This happened years ago.  My co-worker friend announced at the coffee table that if his sons wanted to go to university, they'd have to either pay for it themselves or join the Army, because "I can't afford it".

His sons were 3 and 1 years old at the time.  Plus, he went out for lunch at least once a week.   If he'd stuck that $10 that he spent on lunch into an RESP for his boys, he would've had several thousand dollars by the time his sons were old enough to attend university.  It wouldn't have given them a free ride, but it would've been SOMETHING.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #13969 on: July 15, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
Okay. I'm back on page 192. I posted and was caught up and then took a rather long break and now I'm back!

I have a new job. I am a property manager for HOAs and condo associations and some maintenance provided communities. Two calls today back to back.

One person who cannot make dues payment of  $65 for the month (to cover lawn maintenance and trash service) and also fix the hole in the side of her home.  If we waive the monthly dues sh be able to fix the hole. She then explained that sge has lights in her home not working and her garage door is broken and she just does not have the funds. Her daughter is going back to school for her 2nd bachelor's degree and the cost of books, you know.

The other caller is digging out of bankruptcy and is months late on her annual dues payment and wants the late fees waived if she pays her full amount now. The board agreed since previous fees are still being paid through bankruptcy court. She has plans to get on better footing and next year shouldn't be an issue.

Earlier this week we had someone pay over $5000 in late dues and legal fees...and they paid with credit card. Doubly interesting with that one is that she had hired her own attorney to contest the amount she owed. She told him she paid in full at her court hearing...after sending our documentation for what was paid and owed she was told she had no legal standing. Still was billed for it, though, I am sure!

Then CW called today to see about moving her 401k from her previos job. "I've got $2000 in there and that's a lot of money."  She's in her mid-50s, lives paycheck to paycheck...yet was able to go to the Indy 500 this summer.

Sigh...

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #13970 on: July 15, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »

That was the worst pun ever. I loved it.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13971 on: July 16, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »
Manager complains about not having enough money to contribute to the company 401K (not even up to the match), but says she'd like to stop working by age 45.

This week, Manager accepts a new job that pays 40K more. These are quotes from that day:

"Now I can add mani-pedis and massages back into my budget!"

"I was going to wait for my phone upgrade in Sept, but with my new salary I'll just buy a new phone now."

"Oh we make too much for a Roth IRA."

...and she refuses to max out her new 401K even with the 40K raise.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13972 on: July 16, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »
"I was going to wait for my phone upgrade in Sept, but with my new salary I'll just buy a new phone now."

That explains her personality in  nutshell. I want a Samsung S7 and can get work to pay for it but still resist doing so because I know that it'll be more like a toy for me. 

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #13973 on: July 16, 2016, 08:31:52 PM »
SoccerLounge posted this recipe for 40 minute buns (which sounds like a workout video) in another thread: http://www.girlversusdough.com/2015/08/10/40-minute-super-soft-hamburger-buns/

Hey, ya,  I made them the same day.  Very good recipe.   I recommend cutting the yeast in half and letting them rise for an hour, unless you have ZERO problems with yeast...and you have an hour...   :-)

Hark, the SoccerLounge signal!! Actually, goldielocks, I made my last batch that way too, and I like them about as much. Other folks seem to like them a bit more, probably because they're slightly less pretzel-tasting (caused by the lots-o-yeast).

On topic, I work with someone who bought a $7,000 riding mower the other week. He lives on half an acre. When I asked him why he bought it, he said that he wanted one that would last. Riiiight...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13974 on: July 16, 2016, 10:35:50 PM »
On topic, I work with someone who bought a $7,000 riding mower the other week. He lives on half an acre. When I asked him why he bought it, he said that he wanted one that would last. Riiiight...

Have never needed one, how much should one ordinarily spend?

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13975 on: July 16, 2016, 11:16:26 PM »

Have never needed one, how much should one ordinarily spend?

I lived on 2.5 acres with my ex. We paid $500 for a used fairly high end John Deere.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #13976 on: July 16, 2016, 11:42:51 PM »
Holy crap!  Lowe's doesn't even sell any that expensive. I had to look at Tractor Supply to see what a $7,000 riding mower looks like.

I met some one a few weeks ago at work that bought a Corvette for his 10 year old, as encouragement to get good grades so he can drive it when he's old enough. Right....it's for the kid.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #13977 on: July 17, 2016, 12:26:36 AM »
I met some one a few weeks ago at work that bought a Corvette for his 10 year old, as encouragement to get good grades so he can drive it when he's old enough. Right....it's for the kid.

I'm assuming you fly for a legacy or something, because that would be even stupider if the dude is a second-year regional FO etc!

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13978 on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:23 AM »
This happened a few years ago when THE hot toy for Christmas was the latest PlayStation.    You couldn't find them in stores, but you COULD buy them on eBay if you didn't mind paying roughly double the retail price.    One of my coworkers did just that, saying "It's for my son.   He'll be so excited!"   His son was just over a year old.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:37:45 PM by Shalamar »

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #13979 on: July 17, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »

I'm assuming you fly for a legacy or something, because that would be even stupider if the dude is a second-year regional FO etc!

I'm a captain at a regional, trying to figure out the secret code to get an interview with a legacy.

This guy was a 20+ year regional captain from another airline, in my jumpseat heading home. He made it a point to brag about how much he was making by working the system to take advantage of junior man pay, premium pay, etc. If what he said was true he was probably around $170k. Maybe higher. But he looked like hell from all that work. I'd rather skip the Corvette and not wreck my health.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #13980 on: July 17, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
I'm a captain at a regional, trying to figure out the secret code to get an interview with a legacy.
I think it's "here, look at my prior Air Force / Navy logbooks" which is why I never seriously considered a career change to flying for a living myself. ;) Being a regional captain isn't a terrible gig, though (depending on airline...) so you're not in a bad place while you hustle to maximize your chances.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #13981 on: July 17, 2016, 12:29:38 PM »
A colleague just realised she came to work in mismatched shoes (two different black heels) so she immediately walked out to buy a new pair.

I'm not sure anyone else would have realised, given that it's 11am and she only just noticed...

What a terrible waste, given that she's got another pair at home almost exactly like the ones on her feet.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13982 on: July 17, 2016, 05:03:07 PM »
A colleague just realised she came to work in mismatched shoes (two different black heels) so she immediately walked out to buy a new pair.

I'm not sure anyone else would have realised, given that it's 11am and she only just noticed...

What a terrible waste, given that she's got another pair at home almost exactly like the ones on her feet.
Okay, funny off topic mismatch story.  Years ago, before I had kids, my husband and I lived in an apartment, and we'd go to the gym together in the morning. We'd go 3x a week, but I'd also go the other 2 days by myself.

So early morning I'd get up and get dressed, then toss my work clothing in a bag (in the dark) so as not to wake up my husband.  I started work at 7-ish in those days.

Well, imagine my surprise after my workout when I pulled out...purple pants, a green shirt, blue socks and black shoes.

Luckily I'm an engineer and mostly wore a cleanroom suit.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #13983 on: July 17, 2016, 10:58:11 PM »
I think it's "here, look at my prior Air Force / Navy logbooks" which is why I never seriously considered a career change to flying for a living myself. ;) Being a regional captain isn't a terrible gig, though (depending on airline...) so you're not in a bad place while you hustle to maximize your chances.

I'd have gone military but I started wearing contact lenses in middle school. All they would let me fly is a desk.

I'm not in a bad place. On pace this year to make just over $100k, have travel benefits on two of the largest airlines on earth, and our management is pretty fair with us overall, so not much room to complain. Longer tenured captains are making ~$125k without working the system or performing extra duties. Still, the schedules, pay, and benefits are all much better at the majors, and it's the job I've wanted since Kindergarten. I'll hustle for the next few years and see if I can make the move happen. Lots of retirements, so odds aren't bad over the next several years.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13984 on: July 18, 2016, 08:08:44 AM »
When I read stories like Prospector's, I start to think that some of these stories are made up.

But then reading through 280+ pages of this makes me realise that they aren't, and that these people commonly exist in the world.

:(

FWIW, I've made burgers plenty of times without buns, and have just put them on the same bread I use for toast ("Oh the horror!", I hear the typical Anti-Mustachian say)

These stories have been life altering! ;)

Never believed the country was as mixed up as I have since I started reading this forum and  - listening to the current political circus leading up to Nov 6th. The things people say and do...

Always good to go home and unplug.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13985 on: July 18, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »
Heard a good one from a former workplace. It isn't about an employee wasting money but the employer wasting money.

They hired a helper for a man (man #1) a few years from retirement. The helper is there b/c they are supposedly so busy, growing. Not because man #1 couldn't do his job or b/c of his age.

Everything was going along smoothly when the "Boy's Club" aka management (small, inbred company) decides they could save money by laying man #1 off saying that there just isn't enough demand and they are making cuts all across the company which is BS I'm told. Man #1 knew better and management knew he knew, etc. They apparently just thought he would go away.

The sad thing was that the guy (man #2) that actually laid man #1 off was pals with him at work. Perhaps man #2 feared losing his place in "the Boys' Club" more than standing up for his friend. Meanwhile they hired helper #2.

A few weeks go by and the "Boys' Club" decide to lay off the man #2 also. Man #2 has been there longer than just about everyone in the company and also nearing retirement. That one got some pushback from man #2 and so far he's still working, still part of the management - and likely expensive b/c of salary and benefits.

Note that the company is doing very well. Tens of millions of dollars per year. But they don't give bonuses. When I was there you might get a cheap jacket and/or a turkey for the holidays. That was after a year of working huge unpaid overtime hours.

Apparently people there with debt enough that it would be difficult to leave b/ why else would you stay for 60+ hour weeks? The money isn't THAT good unless you are in "the Boys' Club" or one of their favorites (very small group of engineers).

Company has unique circumstance that they get enough people looking for work that the company can wear out their welcome with their employees and endure the turnover. Never mind that the expertise/efficiency that the company pays to teach is lost with turnover. I guess when times are good the cost of turnover is not such a big deal. An engineer friend still there tells me he is just about done. Is taking an MMM approach so he doesn't have to work like that much longer.

Anyhow - I hear man #1 has been speaking to a lawyer. You see, they laid him off and nobody else after all. And at the same time the company is advertising that they are hiring. Looks like he might have an age-discrimination lawsuit the lawyer tells him.

That place was a good one to walk away from for alot of folks I know.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13986 on: July 18, 2016, 03:28:45 PM »
Heard a good one from a former workplace. It isn't about an employee wasting money but the employer wasting money.

I'm already picking up on this with my husband's new office.

His team was bought out, they've been working as contractors for seven months, and this week moved into their new offices.

Yesterday the company bought them all Subway for lunch because there was no cutlery for those who did pack lunch.

I have a spare set here I'd planned to get rid of anyway (decluttering), so I told him to take that to work. He said no, because the guy in charge of setting up and furnishing the new office is "determined to make the company pay for everything". There is barely a pen in the office because that guy hasn't had a chance to go spend a bundle on stationery yet, and "no-one is allowed to bring in anything because the company should pay".

They came pretty close to the wire in December, a couple of them barely escaped with their jobs. Some financial prudence, and perhaps not treating the company credit card like a blank cheque, would go a long way.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13987 on: July 18, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »

His team was bought out, they've been working as contractors for seven months, and this week moved into their new offices.

Yesterday the company bought them all Subway for lunch because there was no cutlery for those who did pack lunch.

I have a spare set here I'd planned to get rid of anyway (decluttering), so I told him to take that to work. He said no, because the guy in charge of setting up and furnishing the new office is "determined to make the company pay for everything". There is barely a pen in the office because that guy hasn't had a chance to go spend a bundle on stationery yet, and "no-one is allowed to bring in anything because the company should pay".

They came pretty close to the wire in December, a couple of them barely escaped with their jobs. Some financial prudence, and perhaps not treating the company credit card like a blank cheque, would go a long way.

I'd bring in my own fork, but I agree the company should pay for pens. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13988 on: July 18, 2016, 04:43:07 PM »

My husband was in the habit of bringing home pens from his last job. Every time he left the office for a trip he would poke a couple of pens in his carry-on bag. I'm more than happy for them to be returned to the company just to get them out of my house. :)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13989 on: July 18, 2016, 06:03:45 PM »
My husband was in the habit of bringing home pens from his last job. Every time he left the office for a trip he would poke a couple of pens in his carry-on bag. I'm more than happy for them to be returned to the company just to get them out of my house. :)

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13990 on: July 19, 2016, 04:11:26 AM »

My understanding, as a child who grew up watching sitcoms in the 90s, was that employees are all but obligated to steal pens at work. Is that wrong to casually forget whether this pen or that pen was one I bought or work's or one that I borrowed from someone and never returned?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13991 on: July 19, 2016, 04:42:50 AM »

I do my best to trim quotes if I'm on my computer, but it's a PITA on mobile and I don't usually do it then.

As for the subscription options, you can certainly turn off email notifications, but you cannot remove a thread from the "show new replies to your posts" section unless you have not been quoted and you go delete every single post you've made on the thread.

Thank you for this info! Off to delete my post in "Say hi and introduce yourself!"

(And I agree, snipping quotes on an ipad is next to impossible to do correctly and in a reasonable timeframe. I guess I should look into tapatalk or whatever it's called.)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13992 on: July 19, 2016, 06:28:45 AM »

I do my best to trim quotes if I'm on my computer, but it's a PITA on mobile and I don't usually do it then.

As for the subscription options, you can certainly turn off email notifications, but you cannot remove a thread from the "show new replies to your posts" section unless you have not been quoted and you go delete every single post you've made on the thread.

Thank you for this info! Off to delete my post in "Say hi and introduce yourself!"

(And I agree, snipping quotes on an ipad is next to impossible to do correctly and in a reasonable timeframe. I guess I should look into tapatalk or whatever it's called.)

Not unless I go quote you first!

Haha. Jk.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #13993 on: July 19, 2016, 06:29:33 AM »
Good one at work yesterday.

CW: "man, the handle snapped off of our kitchen sink faucet this weekend so we have to use pliers to turn it on and off"
Me: "Oh that's no big deal, you can pick up a new handle for a few bucks at the hardware store"
CW: "Well my wife decided we need a whole new sink so we're going that route"

Can't waste a good opportunity to spend money!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13994 on: July 19, 2016, 06:33:33 AM »
I guess I should look into tapatalk or whatever it's called.

If you do, make sure to leave the 'sent on my iPad via tapatalk' message on. That can rile up the people who would otherwise be concerned about your untrimmed quotes.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13995 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:18 AM »

Haha. Jk.

Ha ha, that would have been pretty funny! Seriously Johnny, this knowledge has changed my life for the better. Deleted my post and now it's not in my 'unreadreplies' every single time I go there. Thank you.

Also, LOL at replacing the whole sink because of a bad tap.

Our kettle clicks off too soon, but if you jiggle it on the base it comes on again and works fine. BIL used it, and in immense frustration (disproportionate to simply having to jiggle a magic jug which boils water in seconds, the likes of which Napoleon could only have dreamt of) said, "For f8cks sake, just buy a new kettle!".

The joke is we actually have a 'spare' kettle in the loft that someone gave us as a wedding gift, just waiting for this one to give out on us. I guess we just don't consider a kettle that still produces water at a perfect 100 degrees C to be 'broken'.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #13996 on: July 19, 2016, 07:53:56 AM »
Also, LOL at replacing the whole sink because of a bad tap.

It is astounding how quickly people default to BUY A NEW ONE instead of FUCKIN' FIX IT. Saw a post on Facebook of a friend who just bought a new car, financed. In the comments they had mentioned "yeah, it adds to our monthly expenses but the old one was making a weird noise." Omg, not a noise! It's inoperable, doc!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13997 on: July 19, 2016, 08:03:01 AM »
Oh I've mentioned some small issue with one of our well-aged cars and gotten a lecture about why we need to just replace the whole vehicle outright. I mean it's a $20 fix I can do myself when I have the time. Not a show stopper that will leave us on the side of the road. Its not the beginning of the end or anything.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:07:21 AM by Mybigtoe »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13998 on: July 19, 2016, 08:22:37 AM »

Haha. Jk.

Ha ha, that would have been pretty funny! Seriously Johnny, this knowledge has changed my life for the better. Deleted my post and now it's not in my 'unreadreplies' every single time I go there. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Now if only the people who made the forum software could make it possible for us to remove threads from the show new replies section at will....

And yeah it's ridiculous how many times I've heard the replace it instead of fix it approach. I'm driving a 2002 corolla and I've had people tell me to replace it whenever I mention any little problem, such as a burnt out headlight bulb. Really? That's a $10 part.
Fortunately I don't get this lecture too often as I play the poor grad student card. Not that I'm actually poor.... but it helps to pretend sometimes.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #13999 on: July 19, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »
And yeah it's ridiculous how many times I've heard the replace it instead of fix it approach. I'm driving a 2002 corolla and I've had people tell me to replace it whenever I mention any little problem, such as a burnt out headlight bulb. Really? That's a $10 part.
Fortunately I don't get this lecture too often as I play the poor grad student card. Not that I'm actually poor.... but it helps to pretend sometimes.

One of my coworkers is getting a payout from Volkswagen (like $5K) because he has one of the TDI cars affected by the emissions scandal. He said a lot of his friends keep asking him "What are you going to buy??" "VTSAX. That's what I'm going to buy."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!