Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252669 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13800 on: July 07, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
We are talking about hot food, of which chili is one.  Specifically, frugal nacho made a pretend order for very spicy chili.  If you don't want any, that's fine more for us

I'd say chiliwench would be a good name for a chili stand (or truck) but would probably attract feminist protestors in these here parts

That was not a pretend order.  I need 500 ccs of chili STAT!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13801 on: July 07, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »
We are talking about hot food, of which chili is one.  Specifically, frugal nacho made a pretend order for very spicy chili.  If you don't want any, that's fine more for us

I'd say chiliwench would be a good name for a chili stand (or truck) but would probably attract feminist protestors in these here parts

The chilibulance should get there soon

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13802 on: July 07, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »

The chilibulance should get there soon

Just hook it to my veins!

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13803 on: July 07, 2016, 01:42:01 PM »
I'm on a distribution list with around 5000 other people (well according to the email, I have no idea how many in reality).  Someone sent out a request using it.  So far there have been 11 reply alls, to either take them off the distro list, or a simply reply of "unsubscribe," or chastising the other people who replied all. 

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #13804 on: July 07, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »
I'm on a distribution list with around 5000 other people (well according to the email, I have no idea how many in reality).  Someone sent out a request using it.  So far there have been 11 reply alls, to either take them off the distro list, or a simply reply of "unsubscribe," or chastising the other people who replied all.

We get that kind of spam war a few times a year.  It can become effectively a DOS attack.  At least emails are easy to delete!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13805 on: July 07, 2016, 02:09:20 PM »

We get that kind of spam war a few times a year.  It can become effectively a DOS attack.  At least emails are easy to delete!

Yeah, I would just add a filter that deletes anything containing the original offending sender's email address

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13806 on: July 07, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13807 on: July 07, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »
My company has finally started putting the company-wide list in the BCC field so that if you reply to all it only goes to the original sender.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13808 on: July 07, 2016, 02:57:16 PM »
On the bright side, nobody steals my beer now!

Except for Jack :-/

Huh? I don't even like beer!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13809 on: July 07, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
My company has finally started putting the company-wide list in the BCC field so that if you reply to all it only goes to the original sender.

There have been tech stories of "reply-all" taking down corporate networks with participants replying to the replies. I can't find the story that I want to reference but one company had to shut their mails erver down a few times to get everyone calmed down and to quit replying to all.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #13810 on: July 07, 2016, 03:26:19 PM »
I just use the "mute" feature gmail has very liberally for emails.
Any email that might turn into a reply-all discussion that I don't care about I just mute and never see again

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13811 on: July 07, 2016, 05:15:26 PM »
The day our facilities manager (who sends out many office-wide updates and announcements) discovered the "BCC: all employees" feature was amazing.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13812 on: July 07, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »
A couple of months ago someone at work came to me determined to end the financial year out of debt. We sat down and went over their expenses and they agreed with themself to commit to changes. Essentially they would have to give up "shopping" until the end of financial year and cut back on general expenses (they did leave a $200/month entertainment allowance in there so it wasn't exactly a mustachian cutback).

Fast forward to the last day of the financial year and this person comes back after lunch with $800 worth of goods in the back of their car and laughs saying they just can't change who they are and that the debt will have to wait. 

Now if they mention their financial issues around me I just get up and walk away.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13813 on: July 08, 2016, 06:56:43 AM »

There have been tech stories of "reply-all" taking down corporate networks with participants replying to the replies. I can't find the story that I want to reference but one company had to shut their mails erver down a few times to get everyone calmed down and to quit replying to all.
I don't know about this, but I have heard about a case of auto-reply.  One guy set up an auto reply for a specific person, to mess with them.  So the other guy set up an auto reply back.  The first email between the two after that set up an infinite loop of auto-replies and brought the company's email down.  At which time the company took both of their email privileges away.

Canadian in KS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13814 on: July 08, 2016, 07:26:44 AM »
Once when I was leaving on vacation for south Asia, I turned off my phone for about 24 hours while traveling. When I turned it back on, I saw that I had >200 (work) emails. I initially panicked - something terrible must have happened for me to be getting that many emails on a weekend! But then as I scrolled through I realized it was exactly the case you described - an email was send out to thousands of people, and dozens of them replied all to say "please take me off the distribution list!" or "everybody stop replying all!" OMG.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #13815 on: July 08, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »
Once when I was leaving on vacation for south Asia, I turned off my phone for about 24 hours while traveling. When I turned it back on, I saw that I had >200 (work) emails. I initially panicked - something terrible must have happened for me to be getting that many emails on a weekend! But then as I scrolled through I realized it was exactly the case you described - an email was send out to thousands of people, and dozens of them replied all to say "please take me off the distribution list!" or "everybody stop replying all!" OMG.

That happened here on the Army base during my staycation last week. Most of the replies were utterly asinine, and one was even a clear Hatch Act violation (a political jab at a current POTUS nominee, to be specific). I just got around to deleting them all yesterday. It boggles the mind how many stupid people manage to hold government jobs at or near six-figure salaries.

whiskeyjack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13816 on: July 08, 2016, 09:30:56 AM »

I don't know about this, but I have heard about a case of auto-reply.  One guy set up an auto reply for a specific person, to mess with them.  So the other guy set up an auto reply back.  The first email between the two after that set up an infinite loop of auto-replies and brought the company's email down.  At which time the company took both of their email privileges away.

I did this in college with a chat program and brought down the Penn State mainframe.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13817 on: July 08, 2016, 11:07:11 AM »

That happened here on the Army base during my staycation last week. Most of the replies were utterly asinine, and one was even a clear Hatch Act violation (a political jab at a current POTUS nominee, to be specific). I just got around to deleting them all yesterday. It boggles the mind how many stupid people manage to hold government jobs at or near six-figure salaries.

I've got a Tubman that says it was anti-Hillary.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13818 on: July 08, 2016, 01:29:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's the one common requirement to holding down a government job :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:43:24 PM by Magilla »

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #13819 on: July 08, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »

Tubman? We should put Tubgirl on currency! That'll stop people spending outrageously.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13820 on: July 08, 2016, 03:00:22 PM »

I don't know about this, but I have heard about a case of auto-reply.  One guy set up an auto reply for a specific person, to mess with them.  So the other guy set up an auto reply back.  The first email between the two after that set up an infinite loop of auto-replies and brought the company's email down. At which time the company took both of their email privileges away.

OMG.  When I worked I would have paid to have my e-mail "privileges" taken away. 

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #13821 on: July 08, 2016, 03:41:31 PM »
We get sent fake phishing emails from IT to see if we are following policy. I'm tempted to intentionally fail the test so they will revoke my email "privileges".

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13822 on: July 08, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
Our IT guys just despair of some of the people in my building.

They just don't have a discerning bone in their bodies when it comes to potentially harmful emails.

One guy is on a real power trip, loves thinking he gets sent information first, so he looks at spam emails, works out which department he thinks they are related to, and generously forwards them on. (E.g. Any Apple or Facebook spam gets forwarded to the web team. >.<)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13823 on: July 08, 2016, 03:50:15 PM »
Our IT guys just despair of some of the people in my building.

They just don't have a discerning bone in their bodies when it comes to potentially harmful emails.

One guy is on a real power trip, loves thinking he gets sent information first, so he looks at spam emails, works out which department he thinks they are related to, and generously forwards them on. (E.g. Any Apple or Facebook spam gets forwarded to the web team. >.<)
HAHAHAHHAHAHHA that is hilarious.  Is he maybe just bored and trolling you?  That is a serious lack of critical thinking.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13824 on: July 08, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »

Tubman? We should put Tubgirl on currency! That'll stop people spending outrageously.

Oh god.

Better put goatse on their credit cards then, so they don't just switch to piling up more credit!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #13825 on: July 08, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »

Oh god.

Better put goatse on their credit cards then, so they don't just switch to piling up more credit!

... something something two girls one buck something something ...

Aminul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13826 on: July 11, 2016, 06:21:51 AM »

These Reply-All fights are one of my favorite things at work.  We only get them a couple of times per year. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13827 on: July 11, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
Unsubscribe

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13828 on: July 11, 2016, 09:37:08 AM »
Unsubscribe

You can't unsubscribe to work-wide distribution lists.

And if they are "reply-all" issues, it's not going through a list anymore, it's going to your email.

Perhaps my favorite "forget to use BCC" ever was from a secretary at my dance school. She sent an email to every single client. Did not BCC, so all the emails appeared, but since they were in the "to" line, you mostly didn't see them.  Her boss replied all with "In the future, make sure to use the BCC line, if you haven’t already gotten some snippy responses about sharing people’s email, they will be coming.". 

Not only did he stupidly use reply all, but because his email was the reply, every single address now appeared in the text of his email, AND the "to" line. 

Idiot. Way to make the mistake you were shaming for.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:39:28 AM by iowajes »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13829 on: July 11, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »
Unsubscribe

And if they are "reply-all" issues, it's not going through a list anymore, it's going to your email.

Perhaps my favorite "forget to use BCC" ever was from a secretary at my dance school. She sent an email to every single client. Did not BCC, so all the emails appeared, but since they were in the "to" line, you mostly didn't see them.  Her boss replied all with "In the future, make sure to use the BCC line, if you haven’t already gotten some snippy responses about sharing people’s email, they will be coming.". 

Not only did he stupidly use reply all, but because his email was the reply, every single address now appeared in the text of his email, AND the "to" line. 

UNSUBSCRIBE

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13830 on: July 11, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »
Unsubscribe

UNSUBSCRIBE

You can't unsubscribe from work-wide distribution lists, threads on MMM forums, or people who don't get your jokes.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13831 on: July 11, 2016, 10:59:45 AM »
Unsubscribe

UNSUBSCRIBE

You can't unsubscribe from work-wide distribution lists, threads on MMM forums, or people who don't get your jokes.
That's by far the worst.

We need a browser extension that would scan a thread for keywords like "guns" or "obamacare", and assign a danger score. Above a certain threshold there would be a big warning advising not to engage.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13832 on: July 11, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
Unsubscribe

UNSUBSCRIBE

That's by far the worst.

We need a browser extension that would scan a thread for keywords like "guns" or "obamacare", and assign a danger score. Above a certain threshold there would be a big warning advising not to engage.

Seconding.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13833 on: July 11, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
Unsubscribe

UNSUBSCRIBE

ME TOO!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13834 on: July 11, 2016, 11:55:12 AM »
Unsubscribe

UNSUBSCRIBE

ME TOO!

Ugh, this topic keeps showing up in my new replies list without any meaningful content. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #13835 on: July 11, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
Unsubscribe

UNSUBSCRIBE

ME TOO!

Ugh, this topic keeps showing up in my new replies list without any meaningful content.

Stop posting! Everyone subscribed to this thread gets a notification and can see your replies!

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13836 on: July 11, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
Unsubscribe

UNSUBSCRIBE

ME TOO!

Stop posting! Everyone subscribed to this thread gets a notification and can see your replies!

Look at what I did.  Everyone I'm sorry I sent out a forum wide post, please forgive my error.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13837 on: July 11, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »
Unsubscribe

UNSUBSCRIBE

ME TOO!

Look at what I did.  Everyone I'm sorry I sent out a forum wide post, please forgive my error.

Stop quoting the whole thread, too

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13838 on: July 11, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »

I hate when people don't trim quotes.

There also has to be a way to change subscription options. I don't get a notification of anything from this forum but private messages.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13839 on: July 11, 2016, 01:48:51 PM »

There also has to be a way to change subscription options. I don't get a notification of anything from this forum but private messages.

I do my best to trim quotes if I'm on my computer, but it's a PITA on mobile and I don't usually do it then.

As for the subscription options, you can certainly turn off email notifications, but you cannot remove a thread from the "show new replies to your posts" section unless you have not been quoted and you go delete every single post you've made on the thread.
It's fucking stupid, but that's just what the forum software provides (or rather, doesn't provide). There is a plugin for the forum software to address the issue, but it's implemented horribly and the server takes a massive performance hit. There's several threads on this issue.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13840 on: July 11, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
At least people aren't top-quoting.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13841 on: July 11, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »

Or fucking up quoting altogether.  Quotes is hard.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13842 on: July 11, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
Quote from: frugalnacho link=topic=2540.msg1148967#msg1148967 date=1468268110
[quote author=infogoon link=topic=2540.msg1148947#msg1148947 date=1468267456

[/quote]

Meh, it's not that hard.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13843 on: July 11, 2016, 02:40:04 PM »
*LOL* 

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #13844 on: July 11, 2016, 03:42:48 PM »

Meh, it's not that hard.

You'd be surprised how people manage to screw things up

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13845 on: July 11, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »

Meh, it's not that hard.

It's pretty easy.  Just click the little gray box next to "insert quote"

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13846 on: July 11, 2016, 03:53:45 PM »
``dragoncar said

It's pretty easy.  Just click the little gray box next to "insert quote"

``
Yeah see, easy
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:56:24 PM by Paul der Krake »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13847 on: July 11, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »
A colleague just realised she came to work in mismatched shoes (two different black heels) so she immediately walked out to buy a new pair.

I'm not sure anyone else would have realised, given that it's 11am and she only just noticed...

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #13848 on: July 11, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »
I finally have a good one from the co-workers. A manager, a VP and I were wrapping up a meeting and we started talking about how my wife's pregnant, and how people are waiting longer to have kids (were 31).

They both said something to the effect of "It's better to wait to have kids because your career is more advanced, so you can buy your kids whatever they want and you never have to tell them 'no'." lol

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #13849 on: July 11, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »
They both said something to the effect of "It's better to wait to have kids because your career is more advanced, so you can buy your kids whatever they want and you never have to tell them 'no'." lol

Casually racist *and* financially irresponsible, that's gonna be hard to top.