Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5897962 times)

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13350 on: May 05, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »
Yesterday, a financial advisor came to talk to us about diversifying and mutual or index funds and whatnot. She started out her demonstration talking about inflation. I didn't notice the charts she had in the pamphlet showing ... I guess "typical"? ... prices for things in 1934, 1980, and 2015.

So she goes "for instance, how much did you pay for your first car?"

Me: "$1800"

Financial advisor looks over, sees that I'm a 20-something, not a 60-something, throwing out that number, and goes "I don't have anywhere to go with that."

The chart had 30-something thousand as a price of a car in 2015. Whaaaaat. I've bought a brand new car before too. It was like $15,000 after the extended warranty and everything.

The rest of what she talked about was a subset of things I've learned from reading MMM, though, so there's that.

Student loan payback came up. We have a PhD here, with a LOT of student loan debt. I was like "I'm surprised YOU don't pack your lunch every day" (like I do), and he goes "heh yeah, maybe I should." But later he said food's such a small part of budget compared to the loans.... and I pointed out he could put an extra $200/mo to the loans if he packed his lunch, but he says the time spent cooking and cleaning up is not worth it. *sigh*

First car for $1800? Ballin!

My first car was $300 dollars. After a few years I upgraded to a $700 dollar car.

I am probably a little older than you but my first car was $100, my second car was free (inherited), it wasn't until my third car that I decided to go upscale and spend $700.

Edited to add: I drove my first car from CT to OR a year after I bought it.  All in all I kept that car for about 4 years. After my (ex) GF wrecked it, I beat it back together (sort of) with a sledge hammer and drove it from OR down to central CA.  I finally sold it without further repairs for the same $100 I paid for it.  Gotta love those older American muscle cars. Hard to kill!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:56:31 PM by Threshkin »

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #13351 on: May 05, 2016, 03:44:18 PM »
Yeah, I suppose I should clarify due to age being such a skewer of cost. This($300) was in 1998, a 1984 Chevy Citation II. And actually that thing was a beast, I beat the crap out of it. Only two issues I can think of; occasionally I'd have to get under it and re-attach the muffler after hitting a big bump/pot hole and I had to stop and let it cool down(coolant boiling) when baha'ing up a mountain.
The next car ($700) was a 1972 Ford Maverick, kept it for about 4 years until a minivan ran a red light and t-boned me.  By that time I'd graduated college, and bought a $7500 dollar vehicle!

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13352 on: May 05, 2016, 09:35:33 PM »
Hey,  540 ft is 5.46 minutes of walking.... EACH WAY.

I calculate 2.04 minutes at a slothly 3mph pace:

60/3 * 540/5280

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13353 on: May 06, 2016, 08:55:34 AM »
This bag looks nice because it is a classic style, clean lines. Also the pp's words of wisdm about dyes is useful.

The current societal obsession with big ass buckles all over the place is silly. Keep your classic bags and let the sheeple pay $300, $400, $500+ for things that are dated within 5 years.
I'm probably inviting the ire of many when I say this, but I feel the same way about a lot of bathroom and kitchen design ideas.  Like tiled countertops or butcher block countertops, hardwood or laminate in the kitchen, or the whole shabby chic movement (ick!).  Heck, I don't even care for subway tile or painted cabinets.

What is wrong with hardwood or laminate in the kitchen? Laminate is cheap; that is the appeal (although I do agree it doesn't look that great all of the time; sometimes I'd prefer linoleum). Hardwood... Well, it was installed in my aunt's kitchen in 1982 and through 3 kitchen renovations it has stayed. It was installed in my grandparents kitchen in the 1940's or early 50's and was only removed when the house was torn down. I always thought it looked excellent in just about any kitchen, and could be a timeless option. Obviously laminate is not, but that is where the price difference comes in.

The problem is really water damage.  I have hardwood in my kitchen but near the fridge is warped due to a water leak.  I like the way the wood looks, and it's moderately easy to clean, but if I was designing a kitchen I'd use tile or vinyl (the difference between vinyl and laminate being that vinyl comes in huge sheets so few water intrusion points).  My kitchen is open plan though so it would look a bit weird to suddenly change from wood to tile

My kitchen is open plan and it looks just fine to switch from hardwood to tile.  I am thankful to have tile in my kitchen instead of wood, but partly because my laundry room is basically in a closet off the kitchen, so I don't worry too much about dishwasher and washing machine leaks warping the floor.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #13354 on: May 06, 2016, 10:22:46 AM »
Wholesaler came into the office today, feeding us lunch in exchange for listening to him.  As part of the warm-up chatting before he launched into what he was selling, he mentioned he had just sold his house and was in the process of moving -- they wanted the kids to have a country experience, so they're moving from a 4700SF house in the suburbs to a 3500SF house just outside of town, with a separate guest house and a barn and 10 acres because his daughter wants a pony.  He said in his "aren't kids cute" voice that when he showed his 10 year old son the new house, the kid expressed reservations that it was "too small" for their family of four and "dad, how will we ever fit in here?  I'm just not sure we can make it work."  Poor kid.
I'm not sure the free lunch was worth that.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

pancakes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13355 on: May 08, 2016, 12:32:21 AM »
One of my colleagues has always been struggling financially.

They've sold their home and have purchased a block of land which they'll be building a new home on. In the mean time they'll be living with family rent free. I commented that this would be a great opportunity for them to build some savings or pay off the land quickly and was told that the mortgage on the block of land is higher than their pervious home so things will be even tighter for them.

This is before they've even priced or added to the mortgage the cost of building the new house...

We all chipped in at work recently to get their daughter something for her birthday after they complained that they had no money in their accounts to buy anything. Two weeks later on payday they were celebrating their new mortgage with a $150/head meal at a top restaurant...

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13356 on: May 08, 2016, 05:34:31 AM »
We all chipped in at work recently to get their daughter something for her birthday after they complained that they had no money in their accounts to buy anything. Two weeks later on payday they were celebrating their new mortgage with a $150/head meal at a top restaurant...
I would have asked my money back them. Clearly they lied and did have enough money for their child.

The poor little thing with such parents... 

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13357 on: May 09, 2016, 11:29:11 AM »
I would have asked my money back them. Clearly they lied and did have enough money for their child.

How dare you. These people sound like they are really struggling and couldn't find a way to buy their daughter presents. That dinner celebration was something they deserved for surviving through their struggles. It comes from two separate budgets...1) actual money and 2) fairy-tale money. #2 is needed because can you really except them to live like paupers just because they are? Shame on you!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #13358 on: May 11, 2016, 04:02:26 AM »

How dare you. These people sound like they are really struggling and couldn't find a way to buy their daughter presents. That dinner celebration was something they deserved for surviving through their struggles. It comes from two separate budgets...1) actual money and 2) fairy-tale money. #2 is needed because can you really except them to live like paupers just because they are? Shame on you!

You tell it Tjat! It's so hard for the middle class these days!
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

dz1087

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13359 on: May 11, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »
So, I work with about 140 young professionals (officers) in my unit.  Most of them have $20-40k vehicles, but there are a few that have the $70k dually trucks and a few that have the $90-120k fancy cars.

The other day, I was standing at our ops desk (kind of like the receptionist at an office building - a lot of people hanging around and going to and fro) and a hail alert came in through weather.  All of a sudden I hear people whining in despair about getting hail damage and a few just went home to garage their precious babies (it was late in the day).  I looked over at a buddy of mine and we both just shook our heads and laughed.  I drive a $2k 90's beater and he still drives the 90's car he had in high school.  I wouldn't even notice hail damage!  In fact, one time I had it parked at a local airport and someone sat or stomped on the hood and dented it in real bad.  I actually laughed when I saw it, popped the hood and used my fist to beat out most of the dent -- good as new!

As a note, we live in in an area that has a lot of hail storms, terrible roads with lots of loose gravel, and angry people that key cars a lot.  I have no clue what motivates anyone to buy an expensive vehicle, especially in a place like this!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13360 on: May 11, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »
the kid expressed reservations that it was "too small" for their family of four and "dad, how will we ever fit in here?  I'm just not sure we can make it work."  Poor kid.

I think this is a great example of how kids really like to mimic their parents.  He probably overheard his mother saying something like that earlier and he repeated the sentiment.  I used to do crap like that all the time before I realized my mother's catch-phrases didn't always make sense.

OTOH, you have my almost-4y/o daughter.  We moved from an 1800 sq ft house + full basement to a 1200 sq ft house with a 500 sq ft basement.  The other day, my daughter told my wife "I wish we had a bigger house".  My wife says, why, why do you want a bigger house?  Daughter says, you know, like XXX's (neighbor across the street).  Their house is the identical model as ours.  Later she wanted to play in YYY's back yard next door instead of ours, "because it's more spacious".  You guessed it, lots are identical.  Kids.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13361 on: May 11, 2016, 09:45:14 AM »
Yesterday, a financial advisor came to talk to us about diversifying and mutual or index funds and whatnot. She started out her demonstration talking about inflation. I didn't notice the charts she had in the pamphlet showing ... I guess "typical"? ... prices for things in 1934, 1980, and 2015.

Financial advisor looks over, sees that I'm a 20-something, not a 60-something, throwing out that number, and goes "I don't have anywhere to go with that."

The chart had 30-something thousand as a price of a car in 2015. Whaaaaat. I've bought a brand new car before too. It was like $15,000 after the extended warranty and everything.

Our premarital counseling required us to meet with a financial counselor (a parishioner looking for easy leads- it felt really slimy!)

He asked what our dream cars were, I said a Prius, my husband said a Boxster.
Then when we went back a week later he tells me "I didn't have data on what the Prius cost, so I assumed $50k"

Um, we got married in 2004. The internet existed. Try asking Jeeves or whatever we did then rather than coming up with an INSANE number for that car.  I was so annoyed I tuned out everything else. 

(Also- I later decided a Prius was too expensive, even though I'm spendypants as far as MMM goes with cars. I paid $18k, cash of course, for my Elantra Limited).

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13362 on: May 11, 2016, 12:42:05 PM »

Um, we got married in 2004. The internet existed. Try asking Jeeves or whatever we did then rather than coming up with an INSANE number for that car.  I was so annoyed I tuned out everything else. 

Jeeves! Yes! Jeeves and AltaVista were my go-to search engines before Google blew up.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #13363 on: May 11, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »
Conversation between a coworker and I; he knows that I am car savvy and sometimes asks me questions.

CW:My son bought a new Tacoma.
Me:Oh really?  Does he have a really good job?
CW: It's ok, I guess he can afford the payment.
Me: Oh mmhmm.
CW:Of course he had to get new rims and tires for it.
Me: [Trying not to visibly wince] Ouch, bet that was expensive.
CW: Yeah he had to buy different lugnuts and stuff too, so that was like another $100 or so on top of it.
Me: [I could tell at this point he thought it was dumb too] Do you think he learned his lesson?
CW: I hope so, he just wrapped it around a tree so it is in the shop at the moment.
Me: Oh.  [then silence, I had no more words]

Of course he does not need an expensive truck for his job or at all.  This is a reoccurring theme here though, especially for Tacoma owners.  I see hundreds of those things every day and the only thing they ever haul or tow is a dog!
Tacomas come with some pretty crappy tires, but thats no reason to buy new rims. If you're gonna wrap something around a tree, the Tacoma is a pretty safe choice.
I just wrapped a scion around a pole and walked away without a scratch. If you're going to be in a crash, I would whole-heartedly recommend Toyotas.
The best part? I had a backup beater 98 civic and don't need to replace the car, so the insurance is paying off a big chunk of my pre-mustachian debt and all I had to do was give up my car! (It took a while for me to see this silver lining).

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13364 on: May 11, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »
Conversation between a coworker and I; he knows that I am car savvy and sometimes asks me questions.

CW: Yeah he had to buy different lugnuts and stuff too, so that was like another $100 or so on top of it.
Me: [I could tell at this point he thought it was dumb too] Do you think he learned his lesson?
CW: I hope so, he just wrapped it around a tree so it is in the shop at the moment.

Of course he does not need an expensive truck for his job or at all.  This is a reoccurring theme here though, especially for Tacoma owners.  I see hundreds of those things every day and the only thing they ever haul or tow is a dog!
Tacomas come with some pretty crappy tires, but thats no reason to buy new rims. If you're gonna wrap something around a tree, the Tacoma is a pretty safe choice.
I just wrapped a scion around a pole and walked away without a scratch. If you're going to be in a crash, I would whole-heartedly recommend Toyotas.
The best part? I had a backup beater 98 civic and don't need to replace the car, so the insurance is paying off a big chunk of my pre-mustachian debt and all I had to do was give up my car! (It took a while for me to see this silver lining).
A few years back here was a hailstorm that demolished a whole village.
At the end you just had to send in photos of your golfball-like car to the insurance to get your money.
From time to time I see one of those still driving around. After all the worst that happened (if at all) was broken windows, its not as if the engine is broken or real holes in the metal or something like that. The dots may even make it more fuel efficient (or less, I guess nobody tested it)

So if you think you are lucky... :D ;)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13365 on: May 11, 2016, 02:40:17 PM »

At the end you just had to send in photos of your golfball-like car to the insurance to get your money.
From time to time I see one of those still driving around. After all the worst that happened (if at all) was broken windows, its not as if the engine is broken or real holes in the metal or something like that. The dots may even make it more fuel efficient (or less, I guess nobody tested it)

My wife's grandpa had an Oldsmobile that he bought new after it had been sitting on the lot for a year. Not too long after (a year or two), there was a horrible hail storm. They took the insurance money and renamed the car: Dimples.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #13366 on: May 11, 2016, 11:17:30 PM »
Went to an after work event yesterday called 'Health and Wealth'.

I had no idea what / who would be talking but was intrigued when I saw the speaker was from RL360, the same that caught MMM's ire. His whole premise was, 'your time is precious, don't waste it by stressing about money, it's too complicated! Leave it to us, the experts!'. This claim was somewhat undermined by the 5 apostrophe and 2 spelling mistakes in his presentation. He then proceeded to scaremonger the audience about inheritance tax, insurance etc etc.

Worrying thing was, I heard plenty of murmurs of agreement and such at the end from the crowd. 

British guy in Shanghai.My Shanghai Journal

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13367 on: May 11, 2016, 11:27:57 PM »

I had no idea what / who would be talking but was intrigued when I saw the speaker was from RL360, the same that caught MMM's ire. His whole premise was, 'your time is precious, don't waste it by stressing about money, it's too complicated! Leave it to us, the experts!'. This claim was somewhat undermined by the 5 apostrophe and 2 spelling mistakes in his presentation. He then proceeded to scaremonger the audience about inheritance tax, insurance etc etc.

Worrying thing was, I heard plenty of murmurs of agreement and such at the end from the crowd.

Are you sick and tired of the gummint stealing your hard earned money?  Sure, we all are! 

<Murmurs in agreement>

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13368 on: May 12, 2016, 12:01:11 PM »
Overheard at the table next to me in the cafeteria today..."I bought a BMW Z3 without telling my wife, but I felt like I deserved it."

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13369 on: May 12, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
Overheard at the table next to me in the cafeteria today..."I bought a BMW Z3 without telling my wife, but I felt like I deserved it."

They haven't made a Z3 for like 12 years, and you can pick one up for <$7500. 

So still dumb, but not like he made a $50k purchase dumb.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13370 on: May 12, 2016, 12:06:07 PM »

And when she finds out, decent chance that she'll feel he deserves lawyer's fees and alimony payments, so I guess it's all about what he really deserves... ;)

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13371 on: May 12, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »

Um...I'll admit I've made a few $200 handbag purchases without telling my husband (you're not going to tell him, either, are you?), but how in the world do you sneak a car past your spouse?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13372 on: May 12, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »

I'm not a car person, but that doesn't seem like the dumbest thing in the world. My guess, though, is that his wife will retaliate by buying something around that price point, which can really add up. I've seen too many couples posting on FB about how due to one spouse buying ____(insert expensive toy), they get to buy ____(insert another expensive toy).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13373 on: May 12, 2016, 12:13:06 PM »

Um...I'll admit I've made a few $200 handbag purchases without telling my husband (you're not going to tell him, either, are you?), but how in the world do you sneak a car past your spouse?

"When did you get the car?"
"What, this old thing? I've had it for ages honey. Are you feeling well today?"

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13374 on: May 12, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »

Yeah, I feel like the jig would be up on that pretty quickly unless you have like a 15 car garage.  If you do, you're probably not buying BMWs...

As a matter of finances I could make a 50K purchase without my husband knowing but I don't know what I could waste 50K on that didn't take up room.  Jewelry?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13375 on: May 12, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »

Hah! My standard 'sneak this past my husband' is going 3$ overboard on my ebook budget. I'm suddenly feeling a lot less guilty about that... ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13376 on: May 12, 2016, 12:41:12 PM »

Yeah, I feel like the jig would be up on that pretty quickly unless you have like a 15 car garage.  If you do, you're probably not buying BMWs...

As a matter of finances I could make a 50K purchase without my husband knowing but I don't know what I could waste 50K on that didn't take up room.  Jewelry?

Hookers and blow

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13377 on: May 12, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »

Presumably he's hiding the PURCHASE from the wife, not POSSESSION.  She'll find out eventually, after it's too late to stop it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13378 on: May 12, 2016, 01:49:07 PM »

Presumably he's hiding the PURCHASE from the wife, not POSSESSION.  She'll find out eventually, after it's too late to stop it.

Just tell her it's stolen

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13379 on: May 12, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »
Hah! My standard 'sneak this past my husband' is going 3$ overboard on my ebook budget. I'm suddenly feeling a lot less guilty about that... ;)

Are you my wife? Between this and the house cleanliness stuff over in the Facebook thread you sound a lot like my wife. Except we don't have kids...

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13380 on: May 12, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »

I am well aware, but was still pretty funny. This was also a "when I was in Miami" story (we're in NJ), so I have no idea how long ago it was.

rae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13381 on: May 12, 2016, 06:45:02 PM »
My DH overheard at work:
Coworker bought a new truck after buying one less than two years ago. His reason: 1. it's more fuel efficient, 2. aluminum is the way to go!

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13382 on: May 12, 2016, 10:25:31 PM »
A spare husband?

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #13383 on: May 13, 2016, 05:17:39 AM »

Are you sick and tired of the gummint stealing your hard earned money?  Sure, we all are! 

<Murmurs in agreement>

Hah! You're very close.

‘Tax? Yeah, I've never met the man either, and he tries to take 40% when you die too!’

British guy in Shanghai.My Shanghai Journal

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13384 on: May 13, 2016, 09:32:22 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13385 on: May 13, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »

Idk.  At a previous job my boss rented out one of the office's underground parking spots to the spouse of a co-worker in another office.  Apparently the co-worker was unaware of her spouse's car.

At another job, a co-worker had a friend whose aunt had two or three _houses_ that her spouse wasn't aware of (also, there was a whole thing about not telling her latest husband her real age and claiming she was 15 or 20 years younger?). 

Sometimes I don't tell my SO that I was weak and bought a honey crueler on the way to the office.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13386 on: May 13, 2016, 10:13:11 AM »

Idk.  At a previous job my boss rented out one of the office's underground parking spots to the spouse of a co-worker in another office.  Apparently the co-worker was unaware of her spouse's car.

At another job, a co-worker had a friend whose aunt had two or three _houses_ that her spouse wasn't aware of (also, there was a whole thing about not telling her latest husband her real age and claiming she was 15 or 20 years younger?). 

Sometimes I don't tell my SO that I was weak and bought a honey crueler on the way to the office.

I did some family history, and my grandfather's grandmother did this to her husband. I found out because I had her death certificate and it did not match her birth year... it was off by 7 years.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13387 on: May 13, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »

I had to look up what that was, and now I want one!!!!

Seriously, donuts never held an appeal for me until a few months ago, now I crave them all the time. I've stopped at few local places a few times in the past month, buying them for my office so that I could grab one or two of them with less guilt.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13388 on: May 13, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »

Seriously, donuts never held an appeal for me until a few months ago, now I crave them all the time. I've stopped at few local places a few times in the past month, buying them for my office so that I could grab one or two of them with less guilt.

My sister makes these seriously amazing yeast-raised doughnuts that we dip in a sour cream and cinnamon sugar mix... Oh, man, those ruin any store-bought doughnuts all to hell.

I'm pretty sure she got the recipe from a Jamie Oliver cookbook.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13389 on: May 13, 2016, 11:06:08 AM »

I sometimes look at those cars and then decide I don't really need it.  It's my favorite car ever.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13390 on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »

My sister makes these seriously amazing yeast-raised doughnuts that we dip in a sour cream and cinnamon sugar mix... Oh, man, those ruin any store-bought doughnuts all to hell.

I'm pretty sure she got the recipe from a Jamie Oliver cookbook.

Not a fan of the yeast-raised donuts, but I'll look for that recipe.

Here in Chicago, we have the worlds best doughnuts from the Doughnut Vault. I happily pay $3 for a single one. And then buy another.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13391 on: May 13, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »

Apparently my grandfather had hidden garages rented all over the city. He was one of those guys who was always buying or selling something; cars, trucks, boats, planes. It was the 1950s, so Grandma never asked.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #13392 on: May 13, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »

Apparently my grandfather had hidden garages rented all over the city. He was one of those guys who was always buying or selling something; cars, trucks, boats, planes. It was the 1950s, so Grandma never asked.

Was it that these things were a secret or that they were a side hustle that he didn't want taking up space at home?

This "it was the 1950s" comment seems so funny to me, as my one grandmother (in the 1950s) was the one to handle the money and pay all the bills.  When she passed, Grampa had to call his daughters to come over and make sure he was doing it properly.
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13393 on: May 13, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »

Was it that these things were a secret or that they were a side hustle that he didn't want taking up space at home?

This "it was the 1950s" comment seems so funny to me, as my one grandmother (in the 1950s) was the one to handle the money and pay all the bills.  When she passed, Grampa had to call his daughters to come over and make sure he was doing it properly.

I don't know why but this put a huge smile on his face.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13394 on: May 13, 2016, 06:41:42 PM »

I don't know why but this put a huge smile on his face.

I'm always surprised when people refer to handling money as a traditional man thing... I do it for my family. My mom did it. Both my grandmas did it. The only great-grandma I met handled HER family's money (and now we're in the 1920s...). I'm always surprised by families where the dude handles money.

Pebs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13395 on: May 13, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »
Co-worker, upon learning that I planned to drive to a near-by state to visit an old college friend: What will you drive?

Me, sure I wasn't understanding the question: My car.

Co-worker: You should really rent a car.

Me: Why? I have a car.

Co-worker: But a rental will be more reliable.

He apparently had doubts that my 12-year-old Sentra that had never given me a lick of trouble and was well maintained could make it 4 hours there and 4 hours back.  Of course I ignored his advice and had no trouble on the trip.

This is the same guy, when we first started working together, asked where I lived. When I told him, he replied: That's not such a bad neighborhood. I even let my son trick-or-treat in part of it.

Gee, thanks?!?

pancakes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13396 on: May 13, 2016, 08:46:17 PM »

You tell it Tjat! It's so hard for the middle class these days!
Yesterday they told me they are going to buy a $500 iPad because their phones are not big enough to google search properly.

Now I agree a larger screen is more comfortable for web searching but when you regularly run out of money for food regularly it hardly seems a priority.

MrDelane

• Bristles
« Reply #13397 on: May 13, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »
I was recently told by a coworker that they are looking into selling their home because it has appreciated to the point that they can get 200K over what they paid for it.

Nothing really wrong with that on its own.
But then I asked how long they'd been in the house.
The response is what threw me...

"10 years.  I don't know how else I could get that amount of money.  I mean, I can't save 200K in 10 years, you can't save 200K in 10 years.  The system is set up so all you can do is sell your house and then get into another mortgage."

It was a bit of a slap in the face for me (especially considering this coworker is approaching 50 years old).  I spend so much time reading posts on this forum that I forget the attitudes here are not the norm.  If you ever find yourself feeling bad about your own efforts because so many people here are doing 'better' than you, just remember... we are not the norm here.  The norm is middle aged people for whom saving 20K in one year is an impossible goal.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:55:37 PM by MrDelane »

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13398 on: May 14, 2016, 12:01:13 PM »
"10 years.  I don't know how else I could get that amount of money.  I mean, I can't save 200K in 10 years, you can't save 200K in 10 years.  The system is set up so all you can do is sell your house and then get into another mortgage."

You can't trust the system!

I haven't been working 10 years yet, but I've paid off my student loans (~$50k), lost ~$50k selling a house purchased in 2008, and put down 20% (~$50k) on a house this year. And yet we still have over $200k saved/invested...

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13399 on: May 16, 2016, 07:30:30 AM »

You can't trust the system!

I haven't been working 10 years yet, but I've paid off my student loans (~$50k), lost ~$50k selling a house purchased in 2008, and put down 20% (~$50k) on a house this year. And yet we still have over $200k saved/invested...
You must be doing your math wrong, because it can't be done!
Link to my journal, so I can find it quickly - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/dandarc's-journal/