Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5880347 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13300 on: April 28, 2016, 05:00:15 PM »

To top it all, his wife is an excellent cook and makes him breakfast everyday. He'll throw that away and get Egg McMuffins. Almost every day.

Oy vey!

WHAT

Tell him you'll eat it.  Up for grabs!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13301 on: April 28, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »
Sorry for the foam. I forgot to ask if the black bag was actually orange...

Wow! That reference is a few 100 pages old now. Well done.
The bag was black, but the box it was in when she bought it was orange.

Wait, where did we get the idea that the bag was black? Did OP say that and I missed it? Or was it just that it matched the color of the black box...I'm confused.

Old reference on this thread, from many months ago. Go back to page, oh, I don't know, about 167*, and you'll pick it up.

*Number pulled out of my arse. Not really page 167, but I can't be bothered finding out what page it actually was.

Ann

• Stubble
« Reply #13302 on: April 29, 2016, 06:00:51 AM »
...his wife is an excellent cook and makes him breakfast everyday. He'll throw that away and get Egg McMuffins. Almost every day.

Curious, how do you know what the quality of his wife's breakfast is?  ;-)

I do want to know, though.  Does he brag about his wife's cooking skills?  Have they invited you over and you experienced it first hand?  Or does his wife herself say she is excellent?

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it.  Does he not like the breakfast?  Or does he just prefer something else?  Either way is dumb, but the action is so odd I'm mesmerized.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #13303 on: April 29, 2016, 06:35:30 AM »
Co-worker making less then $60K/y drives a Lexus SUV and complained to me yesterday about still having student loans. Eye roll - Ap

Vertical Mode

• Bristles
« Reply #13304 on: April 29, 2016, 07:07:22 AM »
Sorry for the foam. I forgot to ask if the black bag was actually orange...

Wow! That reference is a few 100 pages old now. Well done.
The bag was black, but the box it was in when she bought it was orange.

Wait, where did we get the idea that the bag was black? Did OP say that and I missed it? Or was it just that it matched the color of the black box...I'm confused.

Old reference on this thread, from many months ago. Go back to page, oh, I don't know, about 167*, and you'll pick it up.

*Number pulled out of my arse. Not really page 167, but I can't be bothered finding out what page it actually was.

Heh, flat text on a computer screen is not a good medium for sarcasm, I guess ;-)

Shoulda gone with the "</s>"
"That is why you will never be a good detective, Cato. It's so obvious, it cannot POSSIBLY be a trap..."

Link to my Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/trending-vertical-vertical-modes-journal/

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13305 on: April 29, 2016, 07:34:23 AM »
Co-worker in their late 40s/early 50s, making at least 6 figures, with a spouse who is likely doing the same given the title & company, goes on multiple trips to Florida & cruises in the past year.

Just heard that they went with a financing company to get the windows in their house replaced, and then had to take out a home equity loan to pay that off. (Lives out of the city, only a 45 minute drive if leaves at 5:30am.)
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #13306 on: April 29, 2016, 07:44:33 AM »
Her boss (company CFO/COO) wants to replace all 18 windows in his house. This would cost about $15-20k, depending on size of windows. (For our house, 15 windows, all impact-resistant, low-E glass, cost $11k installed.)
Depending on the climate and the type of window he's replacing, it might be worth it.

But making $200k/year and not being able to pay cash for it?  Yeah, that's facepunch-worthy.

Same climate as us. He lives local. He told my wife he wanted low-E, impact-resistant windows, which is what we have. We had two 6ft x 6ft picture windows, which had the highest price. Our new windows are all double-hung. We now have them open almost year-round, including peak summer in July-August, when we have them open overnight only.

With the bonus, his gross is over $300k+ per year.

...his wife is an excellent cook and makes him breakfast everyday. He'll throw that away and get Egg McMuffins. Almost every day.

Curious, how do you know what the quality of his wife's breakfast is?  ;-)

I do want to know, though.  Does he brag about his wife's cooking skills?  Have they invited you over and you experienced it first hand?  Or does his wife herself say she is excellent?

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it.  Does he not like the breakfast?  Or does he just prefer something else?  Either way is dumb, but the action is so odd I'm mesmerized.

My wife and her co-worker have told us that it is actually good. The boss has brought in food for the office staff, and it was good. My wife brought home leftovers, I verified they were good.

It isn't only breakfast, it is lunch too, and dinner sometimes if he's working late. It is homemade healthy food as he has diabetes and a bunch of health issues.

He leaves everything in the office refrigerator and freezer; his wife comes in periodically and gets mad and throws the food away. At the last Christmas party, she told us about his stupid food habits, after a few glasses of good cabernet, which I chose at the fancy steakhouse.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:47:02 AM by jinga nation »
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13307 on: April 29, 2016, 06:44:45 PM »
We have 3 staff who drive to work and pick up company vehicles on a daily basis, their commutes are in the 20-30min range each way.  Only one of the three doesn't drive a 4 door 4wd pickup truck... He drives a 2 door 4wd pickup. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13308 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:38 PM »
We have 3 staff who drive to work and pick up company vehicles on a daily basis, their commutes are in the 20-30min range each way.  Only one of the three doesn't drive a 4 door 4wd pickup truck... He drives a 2 door 4wd pickup.

A buddy of mine works for Comcast and uses a company vehicle for most of his work days, he has a truck as well. Though he does hunt and has a family cabin, so perhaps he does get some other use out of it.

RecoveringCarClown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13309 on: May 02, 2016, 12:56:02 PM »
Conversation between a coworker and I; he knows that I am car savvy and sometimes asks me questions.

CW:My son bought a new Tacoma.
Me:Oh really?  Does he have a really good job?
CW: It's ok, I guess he can afford the payment.
Me: Oh mmhmm.
CW:Of course he had to get new rims and tires for it.
Me: [Trying not to visibly wince] Ouch, bet that was expensive.
CW: Yeah he had to buy different lugnuts and stuff too, so that was like another $100 or so on top of it.
Me: [I could tell at this point he thought it was dumb too] Do you think he learned his lesson?
CW: I hope so, he just wrapped it around a tree so it is in the shop at the moment.
Me: Oh.  [then silence, I had no more words]

Of course he does not need an expensive truck for his job or at all.  This is a reoccurring theme here though, especially for Tacoma owners.  I see hundreds of those things every day and the only thing they ever haul or tow is a dog!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13310 on: May 02, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
... the only thing they ever haul or tow is a dog!

Now I'm picturing all the ways one could attach a trailer hitch to a dog.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Erma

• Bristles
« Reply #13311 on: May 02, 2016, 01:58:57 PM »
A client paid an invoice of 300 CHF twice. My co-worker said that he wouldn't have been able to do this as he doesn't have that much money saved. If I lived like this I would go crazy.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #13312 on: May 02, 2016, 02:55:32 PM »

Wait, wouldn't you attach the dog to the trailer hitch? I mean, unless you want the dog towing a trailer...

Anyway, for some dogs it's probably enough to stick a tennis ball over the hitch and yell "FETCH!"

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13313 on: May 02, 2016, 03:00:18 PM »

Wait, wouldn't you attach the dog to the trailer hitch?

OK, Sergeant Semantics. ;-)  You attach them to each other, is what I meant!
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13314 on: May 02, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »

And I suppose the ears flapping will double as indicator lights?

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13315 on: May 02, 2016, 03:18:38 PM »

Do you know what the penalty for animal cruelty is in this state?

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13316 on: May 02, 2016, 09:12:20 PM »

What's the penalty for cruelly bad jokes about animals?

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13317 on: May 03, 2016, 07:45:47 AM »

A buddy of mine works for Comcast and uses a company vehicle for most of his work days, he has a truck as well. Though he does hunt and has a family cabin, so perhaps he does get some other use out of it.
Oh, boy, I can relate to this one. I walk DH to work every morning, all three tenths of a mile. For sport, he tells me how far each person who passes us has driven to get to work to pick up their company vehicles. The latest? FNG drives 80 miles one way! The worst thing is that they are sometimes on call, meaning they drive the company truck to and from work, collecting a premium for being on call and burning the company's gas. There's supposed to be a limit on how far they can take the trucks, but nobody's paying attention. Oh, it's a public utility. The waste is epicly facepunch worthy.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13318 on: May 03, 2016, 08:55:32 AM »

What's the penalty for cruelly bad jokes about animals?

Well... it's probably pretty stiff.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13319 on: May 03, 2016, 09:19:52 AM »
[ FNG drives 80 miles one way!

YIKES! Though apart from the time, the stress, the wear and tear on the car, and the gas, I probably would be ok with it as it means like 3 hours of listening to audiobooks. I could probably finish 50+ books on my commute alone.

RecoveringCarClown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13320 on: May 03, 2016, 03:44:40 PM »

Seems pretty simple really. :P

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Tlw_RryEAlU/maxresdefault.jpg

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13321 on: May 03, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »

Seems pretty simple really. :P

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Tlw_RryEAlU/maxresdefault.jpg

https://roaddogtrailers.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/white-k9-side.jpg

BTW, those Road Dog Trailers really do belong in this thread.  "We are thrilled to announce we can now finance your new Road Dog Trailer for $0 down and as low as $74/month!"

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13322 on: May 03, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »

Oh, boy, I can relate to this one. I walk DH to work every morning, all three tenths of a mile. For sport, he tells me how far each person who passes us has driven to get to work to pick up their company vehicles. The latest? FNG drives 80 miles one way! The worst thing is that they are sometimes on call, meaning they drive the company truck to and from work, collecting a premium for being on call and burning the company's gas. There's supposed to be a limit on how far they can take the trucks, but nobody's paying attention. Oh, it's a public utility. The waste is epicly facepunch worthy.

Ugh.  That's awful.  And why we don't let people take company vehicles home, lol.  Once i was working with a group of new hires and we were on a public site taking a lunch, when one new guy asks for the keys for the truck, so i give them to him thinking he needs to get something out of the truck.  Nope.  He planned to DRIVE the all of 500ft to the 7/11* down the road before i stopped him and asked WTF he was doing.

* Yeah, 7/11.  To buy junk food for lunch.  F#$k.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13323 on: May 03, 2016, 08:53:08 PM »

Ugh.  That's awful.  And why we don't let people take company vehicles home, lol.  Once i was working with a group of new hires and we were on a public site taking a lunch, when one new guy asks for the keys for the truck, so i give them to him thinking he needs to get something out of the truck.  Nope.  He planned to DRIVE the all of 500ft to the 7/11* down the road before i stopped him and asked WTF he was doing.

* Yeah, 7/11.  To buy junk food for lunch.  F#$k.

Oh, sorry.  That was misleading.  Just looked it up and Google maps says it was actually 540ft away.  Definately should have drove

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13324 on: May 04, 2016, 12:25:34 AM »
Hey,  540 ft is 5.46 minutes of walking.... EACH WAY.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #13325 on: May 04, 2016, 01:39:32 AM »

Not sure the geography of the situation, but I work for a contractor that does work for utilites. For about 6 months, I was driving 100-130 miles each way in a company pickup plus more driving between jobs. It's just something you do if you want to keep the employee. I'm sure as hell not driving my own car that much, I'll go work somewhere else.

Besides, the gas is nothing in the scope of utility waste. Someone ordered the wrong stuff? Throw that in the dumpster (non-returnable) and we'll order the right stuff. Oops, this was supposed to be stored inside? Someone marked it outside, $100k in electronics is corroded junk. Makes you sick until you realize that their ineptitude is what keeps your paychecks coming.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13326 on: May 04, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »

more like 2 minutes.

In their possible defense, I used to do this at an old job when I needed to cross the street, but that was due to a lack of crosswalks and me not wanting to play frogger.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13327 on: May 04, 2016, 08:49:07 AM »

more like 2 minutes.

Agreed. And if you can't walk at a pace of 20 minutes per mile then you need to do more walking anyway...

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #13328 on: May 04, 2016, 09:35:40 AM »
Conversation between a coworker and I; he knows that I am car savvy and sometimes asks me questions.

CW:My son bought a new Tacoma.
Me:Oh really?  Does he have a really good job?
CW: It's ok, I guess he can afford the payment.
Me: Oh mmhmm.
CW:Of course he had to get new rims and tires for it.
Me: [Trying not to visibly wince] Ouch, bet that was expensive.
CW: Yeah he had to buy different lugnuts and stuff too, so that was like another $100 or so on top of it.
Me: [I could tell at this point he thought it was dumb too] Do you think he learned his lesson?
CW: I hope so, he just wrapped it around a tree so it is in the shop at the moment.
Me: Oh.  [then silence, I had no more words]

Of course he does not need an expensive truck for his job or at all.  This is a reoccurring theme here though, especially for Tacoma owners.  I see hundreds of those things every day and the only thing they ever haul or tow is a dog!
Tacomas come with some pretty crappy tires, but thats no reason to buy new rims. If you're gonna wrap something around a tree, the Tacoma is a pretty safe choice.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13329 on: May 04, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »

more like 2 minutes.

Agreed. And if you can't walk at a pace of 20 minutes per mile then you need to do more walking anyway...

I remember the look on my warehouse manager's face when I took my car to pick up lunch when it's a 5 minute walk each way. In my defense, everyone in the office was a trade show and so I had to be quick to avoid missing any calls.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13330 on: May 04, 2016, 05:29:09 PM »

more like 2 minutes.

I remember the look on my warehouse manager's face when I took my car to pick up lunch when it's a 5 minute walk each way. In my defense, everyone in the office was a trade show and so I had to be quick to avoid missing any calls.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13331 on: May 04, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »

That said, I run a good sized manufacturing plant, and I drive the crappiest car in our lot. It's kind of eye opening to me to see how many of my employees drive brand new trucks and such with a $40k income. I couldn't imagine spending a year's salary on an automobile.

I second this. I run a electronics manufacturing plant and my car is worth less than $2k. Most of my employees drive brand new cars $30-40k range(there entire salary). They used to complain how they were broke to me all the time and I would just point at there car and then to mine.

I have lost the title, or at least I have competitors for "crappiest car on the lot" title at work now that I got a new car. I've also vaulted over the $2k bar, and the new car is POSH. I have Air Conditioning again!

The new car? 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.

The cost? $2,200 from State Surplus. I could easily turn around and resell for $3k, maybe $4k. I've got YEARS til I'm below $2k again, unless something major goes bad.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13332 on: May 04, 2016, 10:32:55 PM »
I have a good one from today.  We got an application (name and email have been altered slightly) for a job position that went like this

<Subject> For your consideration
<From> Tyler MuthaFuckn Lewis
(dumbenglishfcuk@hotmail.com)
<Date> May 4, 2016

Live locally, easy to work with.  Previously employed with ________.  Resume attached

<resume.doc>

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #13333 on: May 05, 2016, 12:08:23 AM »
I have a good one from today.  We got an application (name and email have been altered slightly) for a job position that went like this

<Date> May 4, 2016

Live locally, easy to work with.  Previously employed with ________.  Resume attached

<resume.doc>

Jeepers. Do the kid (I hope its a kid) a kindness and gently point out how unlikely it is that someone will want an employee that chooses those words to advertise/describe himself. Just in case he doesn't know. Cause, wow, why on earth would you?
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13334 on: May 05, 2016, 12:46:58 AM »

<Date> May 4, 2016

<resume.doc>

Jeepers. Do the kid (I hope its a kid) a kindness and gently point out how unlikely it is that someone will want an employee that chooses those words to advertise/describe himself. Just in case he doesn't know. Cause, wow, why on earth would you?

I don't think he knew it was going to show up like that.  The job posting was on an employment website where you fill in your name and email and your message/resume and I guess it automatically fills in some information.  He probably thought that his email wouldn't show as from that account.  Either way, I think we will pass

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13335 on: May 05, 2016, 04:01:14 AM »
First time contribution to the wall, I got a new co-worker whom I overheard discussing when she going to get paid for the first time (we normally get paid monthly at my work place). Anyway she then says "I've only got three dollars to my name and car with half a tank of petrol [gasoline]" and this was one week after she got the final pay check from her previous job!

She then proceeded to talk about a time where she blew something like $300 in a single weekend (she did acknowledge that was a waste of money though).
So an update on this same co-worker who today mentioned that she bought a TV, even had the box right beside her at work. She was making mention of the fact that  when she first tried to buy it that she couldn't afford to pay for it in full so she put in a deposit (which also explains why she was asking if I got paid, the pay came slightly later than she thought it would). After she finally got paid she then bought the TV outright. Good lord, I'm getting the impression that she'll be doing this every month, just running out of money right before the end of the month and anxiously awaiting the next pay day as a result. Guess I'll be back in another month telling you what she blew it all on next...

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #13336 on: May 05, 2016, 07:53:09 AM »
So an update on this same co-worker who today mentioned that she bought a TV, even had the box right beside her at work. She was making mention of the fact that  when she first tried to buy it that she couldn't afford to pay for it in full so she put in a deposit (which also explains why she was asking if I got paid, the pay came slightly later than she thought it would). After she finally got paid she then bought the TV outright. Good lord, I'm getting the impression that she'll be doing this every month, just running out of money right before the end of the month and anxiously awaiting the next pay day as a result. Guess I'll be back in another month telling you what she blew it all on next...

Keep em comin! Sounds like she will be gold for this thread
Refinance your student loans with my SoFi referral and get $100: https://www.sofi.com/refer/5/18373

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #13337 on: May 05, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »

<Date> May 4, 2016

<resume.doc>

I don't think he knew it was going to show up like that.  The job posting was on an employment website where you fill in your name and email and your message/resume and I guess it automatically fills in some information.  He probably thought that his email wouldn't show as from that account.  Either way, I think we will pass

My company had a job posting out for a technical position and received several applications for an IT job. I was on the review committee so I got to read through them and help screen out the ones who weren't going to be interviewed. One resume focused almost exclusively on the applicant's acting experience. Now I don't mind a resume that shows a bit of diversity in a person's interests, but at least a bit of it ought to be tailored to the job you're applying for. It shouldn't focus almost exclusively on a totally unrelated domain.

All I could think was: "does my workplace LOOK like the setting of 'America, World Police', where we need an actor in order to accomplish our counterinsurgent mission?" The resume hit the circular file almost immediately, but it was too late. I got that cheesy-ass song stuck in my head and walked around humming "America, fuck yeah" the rest of the day.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #13338 on: May 05, 2016, 09:31:25 AM »
Yesterday, a financial advisor came to talk to us about diversifying and mutual or index funds and whatnot. She started out her demonstration talking about inflation. I didn't notice the charts she had in the pamphlet showing ... I guess "typical"? ... prices for things in 1934, 1980, and 2015.

So she goes "for instance, how much did you pay for your first car?"

Me: "$1800"

Financial advisor looks over, sees that I'm a 20-something, not a 60-something, throwing out that number, and goes "I don't have anywhere to go with that."

The chart had 30-something thousand as a price of a car in 2015. Whaaaaat. I've bought a brand new car before too. It was like $15,000 after the extended warranty and everything.

The rest of what she talked about was a subset of things I've learned from reading MMM, though, so there's that.

Student loan payback came up. We have a PhD here, with a LOT of student loan debt. I was like "I'm surprised YOU don't pack your lunch every day" (like I do), and he goes "heh yeah, maybe I should." But later he said food's such a small part of budget compared to the loans.... and I pointed out he could put an extra $200/mo to the loans if he packed his lunch, but he says the time spent cooking and cleaning up is not worth it. *sigh*

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13339 on: May 05, 2016, 09:33:33 AM »

<Date> May 4, 2016

<resume.doc>

My company had a job posting out for a technical position and received several applications for an IT job. I was on the review committee so I got to read through them and help screen out the ones who weren't going to be interviewed. One resume focused almost exclusively on the applicant's acting experience. Now I don't mind a resume that shows a bit of diversity in a person's interests, but at least a bit of it ought to be tailored to the job you're applying for. It shouldn't focus almost exclusively on a totally unrelated domain.

All I could think was: "does my workplace LOOK like the setting of 'America, World Police', where we need an actor in order to accomplish our counterinsurgent mission?" The resume hit the circular file almost immediately, but it was too late. I got that cheesy-ass song stuck in my head and walked around humming "America, fuck yeah" the rest of the day.

Thanks, now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head.

A buddy of mine posted an excerpt of an email she received, it said, "I have the skills necessary and I'm ready to start work yesterday. In addition to my experience, I am a national christian rapper." This is off memory, I recall his grammar wasn't so nice.

A bunch of people posted, "I think I know this guy." And she quickly deleted the email, not wanting to shame the person.

theknitcycle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13340 on: May 05, 2016, 09:39:39 AM »
Wholesaler came into the office today, feeding us lunch in exchange for listening to him.  As part of the warm-up chatting before he launched into what he was selling, he mentioned he had just sold his house and was in the process of moving -- they wanted the kids to have a country experience, so they're moving from a 4700SF house in the suburbs to a 3500SF house just outside of town, with a separate guest house and a barn and 10 acres because his daughter wants a pony.  He said in his "aren't kids cute" voice that when he showed his 10 year old son the new house, the kid expressed reservations that it was "too small" for their family of four and "dad, how will we ever fit in here?  I'm just not sure we can make it work."  Poor kid.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #13341 on: May 05, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

That said, I run a good sized manufacturing plant, and I drive the crappiest car in our lot. It's kind of eye opening to me to see how many of my employees drive brand new trucks and such with a $40k income. I couldn't imagine spending a year's salary on an automobile.

I second this. I run a electronics manufacturing plant and my car is worth less than $2k. Most of my employees drive brand new cars $30-40k range(there entire salary). They used to complain how they were broke to me all the time and I would just point at there car and then to mine.

I have lost the title, or at least I have competitors for "crappiest car on the lot" title at work now that I got a new car. I've also vaulted over the $2k bar, and the new car is POSH. I have Air Conditioning again!

For every sub-2k vehicle I see where I work, there are two monster trucks blocking their doors in. They can't even fit in parking spaces anymore, too wide and too long to park properly, and too tall to work out of.

The irony is that clown cars used to be very tiny and packed full with dozens of clowns. These days they're so big they can't fit in a parking space and only one clown comes out when the door opens.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13342 on: May 05, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »
Oh, I've got one.
One of my coworkers recently (FINALLY thank god) moved out from her ex boyfriend's house and into an apartment of her own. It's pretty swank (dishwasher, huge bathroom, new everything) and she hates it (the cabinets are in the wrong spots, the turf hasn't grown in yet --it's new construction so the landscaping is a work in progress-- and her stuff doesn't fit so she 'has' to get a storage unit.)
She confessed she isn't able to save any money while paying her rent (when she lived with her ex, her room and board was free).
So what does she do? One month in to her lease, she asks me my opinion on transferring her lease from the 1-bedroom she's in to a 2-bedroom in the same building. For more money.
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13343 on: May 05, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
the kid expressed reservations that it was "too small" for their family of four and "dad, how will we ever fit in here?  I'm just not sure we can make it work."  Poor kid.

I think this is a great example of how kids really like to mimic their parents.  He probably overheard his mother saying something like that earlier and he repeated the sentiment.  I used to do crap like that all the time before I realized my mother's catch-phrases didn't always make sense.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #13344 on: May 05, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »
I have a story:

DH gets a call around 3pm on a Wednesday.  His boss is at a nearby bar drinking with some other doctors and lawyers and wanted him to join him.  They actually had to change venues to a nearby nightclub (middle of the day) because the bar they were at told them they had a six drink limit.  The whole thing wound up as some bizarre anthropological expedition.  I'll just say that DH is not nearly enough of a drinker, misogynist, or spendthrift to hang regularly with this crowd.

The best story for this forum was from one guy who wanted to go to Vegas.  He goes to his bank and asks for a $10k line of credit.  The bank says sorry, they don't do LOC that small but they could do one for $25k.  So he takes his $25k LOC to Las Vegas for a week.  No word on what exactly he spent it on or whether he paid it off but somehow I think it's unlikely that he spent his time camping and cooking his own meals.

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #13345 on: May 05, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »
Yesterday, a financial advisor came to talk to us about diversifying and mutual or index funds and whatnot. She started out her demonstration talking about inflation. I didn't notice the charts she had in the pamphlet showing ... I guess "typical"? ... prices for things in 1934, 1980, and 2015.

Financial advisor looks over, sees that I'm a 20-something, not a 60-something, throwing out that number, and goes "I don't have anywhere to go with that."

The chart had 30-something thousand as a price of a car in 2015. Whaaaaat. I've bought a brand new car before too. It was like $15,000 after the extended warranty and everything.

The rest of what she talked about was a subset of things I've learned from reading MMM, though, so there's that.

Student loan payback came up. We have a PhD here, with a LOT of student loan debt. I was like "I'm surprised YOU don't pack your lunch every day" (like I do), and he goes "heh yeah, maybe I should." But later he said food's such a small part of budget compared to the loans.... and I pointed out he could put an extra $200/mo to the loans if he packed his lunch, but he says the time spent cooking and cleaning up is not worth it. *sigh*

First car for $1800? Ballin!

My first car was $300 dollars. After a few years I upgraded to a $700 dollar car. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13346 on: May 05, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »

First car for $1800? Ballin!

My first car was $300 dollars. After a few years I upgraded to a $700 dollar car.

First car that my parents bought me was about $7k (they didn't let me buy a car since I was paying for most of my own college; they wanted all money to go to school). The second car they bought me (after dad wrecked the first) was about $7,000--we sold that after 5 years and 60k miles for $4,500. The first car I bought myself, while owning the second car they bought me was $200. It ran and drove! Sold that for break even after taxes and driving it for a month or two--I'd probably still be driving that thing if I had room for it.

Second one was for my wife and I to share since we only have one car. After taxes and title, we're really balling at $9k. But wifey spends a lot of time in the car, so it was worth it from that perspective of putting her in a nice place.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13347 on: May 05, 2016, 12:17:43 PM »

The best story for this forum was from one guy who wanted to go to Vegas.  He goes to his bank and asks for a $10k line of credit.  The bank says sorry, they don't do LOC that small but they could do one for $25k.  So he takes his $25k LOC to Las Vegas for a week.  No word on what exactly he spent it on or whether he paid it off but somehow I think it's unlikely that he spent his time camping and cooking his own meals.

My dad used to draw a bunch of cash for his trips to Vegas, he would get a line of credit from the casino and then settle in cash or check, but he had been going for years and knew his way around and his limit. I'm glad that's stopped gambling apart from playing cards with his friends.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13348 on: May 05, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »
First car 1949 Ford (14 years old at the time) for $50.  Second car from a field, but it ran: 1950 Chevy (also 14 years old at the time) also for $50.  I'm impressed that you folks found cars for $200 that actually ran.  Around here they are tow-aways.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #13349 on: May 05, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »
Shoot, my current car I got a few years ago is an '88 Sentra that runs (even did a regular commute for a few months up to Denver), and I got it for $400.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!