Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5873612 times)

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13150 on: April 13, 2016, 12:58:51 PM »

-Talked about how much she loves this one burrito place because it's "soooo cheap". It's $8-10 for a burrito.

Yikes. I don't think $8 is patently expensive for a great burrito, that's generally how much I'll spend for a burrito bowl at Chipotle when I don't want to cook at home, but there's no way I would consider it cheap. There's a few locations of Zantigos in Minnesota, it's a fast food place like Taco Bell...if Taco Bell actually made things from scratch, and I love going there every once in a while (back when I lived a mile away, I was there more times than is healthy). It's around $3 for a bean-cheese burrito that has the perfect amount of food for me. I don't think it is all that costly, but I would never refer to it as cheap.

I heard about Zantigo being opened up again by relatives of the previous owners.  Too bad it is MN only. Would love to have a Zantigo in STL.  Too bad Pepsi shut the chain down when it purchased KFC back in the 80's since they already owned Taco Bell.

sparkytheop

• Bristles
« Reply #13151 on: April 13, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »
Got another little bit from my workplace today. I had a co-worker discuss some shopping he doing for watches and he noticed a certain watch that costed $100,000 and wondered incredulously who would pay that much for a watch ("Must be a very nice watch").

I then told him about some other expensive items like a handbag that costs $10,000 and he then told me that another co-worker paid $2000 for a handbag! I was shocked that someone I know could be that wasteful (note this is not the same co-worker I mentioned earlier that was down to her last 3 dollars).

Wow.

The most I've paid for a purse was 180$ (at the exchange rate of the time), and it was high-quality thick leather that was big enough to slide a macbook in (I didn't want to carry purse + briefcase + book + lunch - everything can fit in one bag, please). I've worn it, so far, every day for 8 years, and, with a 10$ repair bill recently, it should last at least that long again... and it still looks nice enough that 3 of my colleagues have stopped me to ask where I got my purse, and was it recently, because they're looking for something nice and like mine.

I can understand paying more for quality (hell, I certainly did, and no 30$ cheap faux-leather purse would still be looking good after 8 years of non-careful wear and tear), but 2k on a bag is not quality, it's idiocy.

Kitsune, where did you get that kind of bag? I would love to have one of my own.

On a trip to Italy, so you're not gonna find them in stores!

But the brand is I Medici, and I just found the exact bag I have on their website: http://www.imedicibags.com/handbags/i-medici-borsa-leather-shopping-large-tote-bag.html (and the price has seriously gone up in 8 years...)

Definitely my kind of bag! But ooof, that price...

Well, at the time, it was almost 100$ less, and I still considered it an unreasonable splurge, but I don't buy "souvenir items" on trips: I save my money for one useful item that'll remind me of the trip, usually something that's cheaper where I'm going than at home (woven cotton scarves in Mexico, leather and pearls in Italy, foods or cooking gear specific to the region, etc). So: that was my justification  at the time.

But it's working out to under 25$/year to meet all my bag needs, looks great, and survives everything (drop it in mud? Rinse let dry, it's fine). Honestly: if it gave out in 5 years, I'd replace it with another of the same, rather than try to find a leather bag under 100$ that might last that long (hahahaha the quality of clothes these days is saaaaaad).

Is there any info on the bag as to what kind of leather? (Ie: Full grain, top, "genuine leather"...)  I've been waiting for years to find just the right bag, and I love the look of this one.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13152 on: April 14, 2016, 06:58:37 AM »
Got another little bit from my workplace today. I had a co-worker discuss some shopping he doing for watches and he noticed a certain watch that costed $100,000 and wondered incredulously who would pay that much for a watch ("Must be a very nice watch").

I then told him about some other expensive items like a handbag that costs $10,000 and he then told me that another co-worker paid $2000 for a handbag! I was shocked that someone I know could be that wasteful (note this is not the same co-worker I mentioned earlier that was down to her last 3 dollars).

Wow.

The most I've paid for a purse was 180$ (at the exchange rate of the time), and it was high-quality thick leather that was big enough to slide a macbook in (I didn't want to carry purse + briefcase + book + lunch - everything can fit in one bag, please). I've worn it, so far, every day for 8 years, and, with a 10$ repair bill recently, it should last at least that long again... and it still looks nice enough that 3 of my colleagues have stopped me to ask where I got my purse, and was it recently, because they're looking for something nice and like mine.

I can understand paying more for quality (hell, I certainly did, and no 30$ cheap faux-leather purse would still be looking good after 8 years of non-careful wear and tear), but 2k on a bag is not quality, it's idiocy.

Kitsune, where did you get that kind of bag? I would love to have one of my own.

But the brand is I Medici, and I just found the exact bag I have on their website: http://www.imedicibags.com/handbags/i-medici-borsa-leather-shopping-large-tote-bag.html (and the price has seriously gone up in 8 years...)

Well, at the time, it was almost 100$ less, and I still considered it an unreasonable splurge, but I don't buy "souvenir items" on trips: I save my money for one useful item that'll remind me of the trip, usually something that's cheaper where I'm going than at home (woven cotton scarves in Mexico, leather and pearls in Italy, foods or cooking gear specific to the region, etc). So: that was my justification  at the time.

But it's working out to under 25$/year to meet all my bag needs, looks great, and survives everything (drop it in mud? Rinse let dry, it's fine). Honestly: if it gave out in 5 years, I'd replace it with another of the same, rather than try to find a leather bag under 100$ that might last that long (hahahaha the quality of clothes these days is saaaaaad).

Is there any info on the bag as to what kind of leather? (Ie: Full grain, top, "genuine leather"...)  I've been waiting for years to find just the right bag, and I love the look of this one.

Given how it's worn, I'd say it's full grain... but the information isn't on the website.

I have 2 of their bags. One I got as a gift when I was 14, and the other I bought myself when I was 24. I am now 32, and those are the ONLY bags I've ever carried. Both still look impeccable, get compliments, and I could probably sell them for a tidy sum. My husband has their messenger bag (which, dear god, was half the price 8 years ago!), and he's worn it every day... one 20$ repair bill in that time, and it still looks impeccable too. The only downside is that, if you get any of the dyed bags, the dye does leech off for the first little bit if the bag gets wet (so... don't get caught in the rain and then let it rub over your hip while wearing white clothes).

Expensive? Absolutely, OMFG. But worth it.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13153 on: April 14, 2016, 08:39:07 AM »

Wow.

Given how it's worn, I'd say it's full grain... but the information isn't on the website.

I have 2 of their bags. One I got as a gift when I was 14, and the other I bought myself when I was 24. I am now 32, and those are the ONLY bags I've ever carried. Both still look impeccable, get compliments, and I could probably sell them for a tidy sum. My husband has their messenger bag (which, dear god, was half the price 8 years ago!), and he's worn it every day... one 20$ repair bill in that time, and it still looks impeccable too. The only downside is that, if you get any of the dyed bags, the dye does leech off for the first little bit if the bag gets wet (so... don't get caught in the rain and then let it rub over your hip while wearing white clothes).

Expensive? Absolutely, OMFG. But worth it.

It can probably be a mostly accurate generalization that when leather is the main component of a product, it is worth paying a very high premium for quality.

That doesn't mean that you can't get the same quality for a lower price, necessarily, just that my $300 (mens) boots and dress shoes outlast my $150 boots and dress shoes by about 10 years, and those examples of $150 footwear outlast the $60 footwear by about 3 years.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13154 on: April 14, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »
Only kind of antimustachian, but gets on my nerves something crazy: people who call for meetings/phone calls/discussions instead of making a decision.

I have one such meeting I'm trying to avoid at 1pm this afternoon. It's scheduled to be half an hour. It's a SIMPLE CALL. There's an issue, there are two options, I have a preference for one but I'd be fine with the other, and it's her responsibility. MAKE. THE. CALL.

Between our salaries and overhead, if we were expensing this, the meeting would cost the company over 150$. We should be doing billable things. Do we need to discuss this? I'm on board. MAKE A DECISION. If you can't, tell me, and I'll make the decision. But for all that's good and holy, stop calling useless and aggravating and expensive meetings to outsource your decision-making!!!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13155 on: April 14, 2016, 10:44:46 AM »
Meetings for things like that are simply so that whoever needing to make the decision can avoid any responsibility.

I @#$# hate meetings, especially as my company's principal owner will call them to ask for suggestions and we all know he has his mind made up but wants our "input." It's a complete joke because he'll ignore all of us and if it fails he'll either say that we supported him or didn't stop him. So I've taken to just making many of these decisions on my own without his direct input. I do this by listening to what he's looking for along with what our salesmen and employees need and just go ahead and will make a decision. This enables us to get results WAY faster than if we spent two hours in a meeting and then did more analysis. To date, none of my decisions in this regard have been wrong.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13156 on: April 14, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »
try googling "responsibility diffusion" and have fun! Not quite the same, but very similar.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13157 on: April 14, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »
I need to rant. It's about work, so it's related! But, ugh, there is a special place in hell for people who put their conference calls on speaker. Just don't do it! If you need your hands, get a head set. Literally all you need to do is ask your admin assistant. They stockpile them! I've seen it!

Okay back on topic. We have a classifieds section on our intranet. Somebody is attempting to sell a wedding dress+veil+sparkly headband for $1500 total, and specifies cash only. Gown was $2,250.00, veil was $460.00, and the head piece was around $250. The kicker? In her own words on the ad, "Gown was never used for its intended purpose." Whoa... all that money just down the drain, even if she does manage to sell it.

My dress was about $500 including alterations, and I felt like I was spending a fortune. (I'm actually a little ashamed to admit on this forum that I spend that much.)
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13158 on: April 14, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
I need to rant. It's about work, so it's related! But, ugh, there is a special place in hell for people who put their conference calls on speaker. Just don't do it! If you need your hands, get a head set. Literally all you need to do is ask your admin assistant. They stockpile them! I've seen it!
Why is nobody calling them out on this?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13159 on: April 14, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »

Okay back on topic. We have a classifieds section on our intranet. Somebody is attempting to sell a wedding dress+veil+sparkly headband for $1500 total, and specifies cash only. Gown was $2,250.00, veil was $460.00, and the head piece was around $250. The kicker? In her own words on the ad, "Gown was never used for its intended purpose." Whoa... all that money just down the drain, even if she does manage to sell it.

My dress was about $500 including alterations, and I felt like I was spending a fortune. (I'm actually a little ashamed to admit on this forum that I spend that much.)

I spent $900 plus alterations.  Pre-MMM, but whoops!  Honestly, I don't feel that bad about it.  I actually am donating it this month, just have to get it cleaned.  Also on my dime.  I am never going to be the paragon of low-cost efficiency that MMM is, but that's okay. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13160 on: April 14, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »

I spent $900 plus alterations.  Pre-MMM, but whoops!  Honestly, I don't feel that bad about it.  I actually am donating it this month, just have to get it cleaned.  Also on my dime.  I am never going to be the paragon of low-cost efficiency that MMM is, but that's okay.

I wanted to donate mine, but the only place interested also wanted me to give them a $200 check for the privilege. Yeah, no. So it sits in my closet until I decide what to do with it. It'll either end up in a Goodwill somewhere or get converted to something more practical. Men (and suit-wearing women) have it easy. Hubs got a good deal on a nice suit ($400+alterations, marked down from $750), and he'll probably be able to use that thing his entire adult life.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #13161 on: April 14, 2016, 01:55:29 PM »
Why is nobody calling them out on this?

I have one better. In my hall sits a group of folks all working on the same project. They will each sit in their own office, ON THE SAME TELECON, with their phones on speaker. There are three of them, and there's at most two offices between their doors.

On the antimustachian side of things, the people responsible for ordering products for my group automatically go and purchase something on the credit card, rather than search the extensive inventory of recycled products (read: office furniture, paper shredders, space heaters, etc) that are available to us for free first. SMH.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #13162 on: April 14, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »

So it's not technically an unused gown, and anyone considering buying it should probably ask what it was used for.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13163 on: April 14, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »

I have one better. In my hall sits a group of folks all working on the same project. They will each sit in their own office, ON THE SAME TELECON, with their phones on speaker. There are three of them, and there's at most two offices between their doors.
In my experience, the reason for that may be so they can multitask while on the conference call, without being rude to other people in the same room.  That doesn't mean that their other tasks are productive, just that they're doing something else while on the call.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
Overheard at Work
« Reply #13164 on: April 14, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »
Big meetings and conference calls are the most inefficient things that happen in an office.
Very often the way to try not taking responsibility for something.
Large meetings should only be informative, i.e. information has to be downloaded to many people at the same time.
But there's a reason why company structures are pyramid shaped, so there's one guy/gal at the top who can independently make the decision.

Being able to make the call can be awesome (better salary, you get most of the credit if it goes well even if it was one of your subordinates suggestion to begin with) and awful at the same time  (shit hits the fan: it's your fault and you lose the job), but that's the whole point of being a manager.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13165 on: April 14, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »
That reminds me, anyone here have any recommendations for a good head set? I would like to get a couple for me and a few people in the office. It'll be so much easier to just have one and have both hands free for typing the customer's order.

QueenAlice

• Stubble
  • QueenAlice, PhD
« Reply #13166 on: April 14, 2016, 07:52:21 PM »
That reminds me, anyone here have any recommendations for a good head set? I would like to get a couple for me and a few people in the office. It'll be so much easier to just have one and have both hands free for typing the customer's order.

I second this foam.
Down the rabbit hole

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
-- Red Queen, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13167 on: April 15, 2016, 02:10:37 AM »

I second this foam.

USB or the headset jack variety?

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13168 on: April 15, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »

I have had a Plantronics CS55 bluetooth headset that plugs into my phone for 6? years, and it's been awesome. An admin ordered it for me after I admired a coworker's, though, so I seriously have no idea what it costs.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13169 on: April 15, 2016, 08:55:10 AM »

I have had a Plantronics CS55 bluetooth headset that plugs into my phone for 6? years, and it's been awesome. An admin ordered it for me after I admired a coworker's, though, so I seriously have no idea what it costs.

Plantronics CS  Voyager Legend is the set I have at work. Might be similar or the same as merula's. It's pretty amazing. I didn't order it myself (IT did) but I imagine it was some $$. It's Bluetooth and lets me wander from the front desk all around our office with a call. A+
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13170 on: April 15, 2016, 08:57:39 AM »

Plantronics CS  Voyager Legend is the set I have at work. Might be similar or the same as merula's. It's pretty amazing. I didn't order it myself (IT did) but I imagine it was some $$. It's Bluetooth and lets me wander from the front desk all around our office with a call. A+

Yeah, that's the fancy-pants version of mine that some other people around the office have. Allegedly it has a bigger range for wandering, but I think that's anecdotal. I can go to the water fountain or coworkers' desks without issue, so the range is sufficient for my needs.

But it does definitely look nicer.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13171 on: April 15, 2016, 07:55:02 PM »
The wireless Plantronics headsets are easily $150. The fancier models are $200-$300.
Refinanced $35,000 Parent PLUS loan with Earnest | 7.65% to 4.65%. | $200 bonus: http://goo.gl/dCbBZy

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13172 on: April 15, 2016, 09:22:54 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13173 on: April 16, 2016, 05:12:17 AM »
Another pan handler story. In my commuter train station, much of the platform is underground. There's a guy who goes from person to person with a well rehearsed woe is me lie about needing $17 for fare. He doesn't bother me except when he corners a woman who's sitting by herself on a bench or something. While not a big guy, he stands over them making it difficult for them to get away. If I can, I get real real close to this encounter and Just stand there until he moves on.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13174 on: April 16, 2016, 06:09:38 AM »
The wireless Plantronics headsets are easily $150. The fancier models are $200-$300.
*Nods*
I would believe that. They're pretty swank. But they work well, and it's a company expense.
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13175 on: April 16, 2016, 07:21:40 AM »
Not un-mustachian in the traditional sense, but gawd, I gotta rant.

Director-level person: "My employees aren't doing *thing* unless I'm on their case all the time, so I can't take a day off because I have to supervise, why aren't they doing this, etc, etc, *whine*" (Note: her employees are ALL highly-paid and highly-trained professionals; we're not running a call center)

Me: "So, you tell them it's part of their job, and that their performance in the next 3 weeks is what guarantees that they will keep HAVING jobs, and then you follow through on that. Haven't you done that??"

Director: "No, they're not gonna like that."

YOU'RE THEIR SUPERVISOR. IT IS YOUR JOB TO SET STANDARDS, ENFORCE THEM, AND ENSURE TEAM SUCCESS. THAT IS LITERALLY YOUR JOB. WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING IT.

The cynic in me says that if a group of people systematically don't do an activity at work, it means that they don't find value in said activity.  Which means it either isn't valuable, or the value hasn't been properly explained to them.

In some cases people will only understand the value of an activity when it is described as "must be performed in order to keep your job."

If the task was so idiotic that my boss had to threathen to fire me to get me to do it, I would probably just quit. Luckily I have a boss that treats me like an intelligent human being, and trusts me to use my best judgment. In return, I will do all the stupid stuff that we agree is necessary to keep the wheels turning and the big bosses happy.
Travelling southern Norway, Iceland and the Faroes in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13176 on: April 16, 2016, 11:34:14 AM »
Not un-mustachian in the traditional sense, but gawd, I gotta rant.

Director-level person: "My employees aren't doing *thing* unless I'm on their case all the time, so I can't take a day off because I have to supervise, why aren't they doing this, etc, etc, *whine*" (Note: her employees are ALL highly-paid and highly-trained professionals; we're not running a call center)

Me: "So, you tell them it's part of their job, and that their performance in the next 3 weeks is what guarantees that they will keep HAVING jobs, and then you follow through on that. Haven't you done that??"

Director: "No, they're not gonna like that."

YOU'RE THEIR SUPERVISOR. IT IS YOUR JOB TO SET STANDARDS, ENFORCE THEM, AND ENSURE TEAM SUCCESS. THAT IS LITERALLY YOUR JOB. WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING IT.

The cynic in me says that if a group of people systematically don't do an activity at work, it means that they don't find value in said activity.  Which means it either isn't valuable, or the value hasn't been properly explained to them.

In some cases people will only understand the value of an activity when it is described as "must be performed in order to keep your job."

If the task was so idiotic that my boss had to threathen to fire me to get me to do it, I would probably just quit. Luckily I have a boss that treats me like an intelligent human being, and trusts me to use my best judgment. In return, I will do all the stupid stuff that we agree is necessary to keep the wheels turning and the big bosses happy.

In most cases, I'd agree with you.

In this case, the company is having cash flow problems, and we'd all like to keep having jobs.

The thing in question is boring, tedious, and the part of their job they like least, and I 100% get that... But it's also the thing that generates the quickest cash flow to solve the short term problem. And the work they enjoy doing? Is not available for the next month (contracts not starting till then).

So... Task might be idiotic, but it will make the money that will pay your pay check. Or you might as well go home and not do it, since if it's not done there will be no money to pay you anyway.

But they're still whining and complaining, and 2/5 aren't doing it. It's a great demonstration as to their ability to be responsible and mature people who can prioritize workload based on importance, yeah... I get that they don't like it, but ffs people.

nnls

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13177 on: April 18, 2016, 01:15:30 AM »
A guy at work who I know would be earning over $150k just mentioned he had consolidated all his credit cards and personal loans into his mortgage. These loans amounted to $50k.

But he hasnt cancelled his credit cards cause he isn't sure if he might want a jetski or something come summer. He also happily admits to being bad with money and guessing he will rack up debt again and need to refinance and consolidate hi debt again in 2 years.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13178 on: April 18, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »
I am indifferent to handbags, but the I Medici one owned by previous poster is classic, and even I dont consider that a whole lot of money if you have to look nice for your job and you have to carry computer and other stuff in it.

Im surprised that the lining holds up that long , though, with daily use.

This bag looks nice because it is a classic style, clean lines. Also the pp's words of wisdm about dyes is useful.

The current societal obsession with big ass buckles all over the place is silly. Keep your classic bags and let the sheeple pay $300, $400, $500+ for things that are dated within 5 years.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:32:41 AM by iris lily »

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13179 on: April 18, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »
This bag looks nice because it is a classic style, clean lines. Also the pp's words of wisdm about dyes is useful.

The current societal obsession with big ass buckles all over the place is silly. Keep your classic bags and let the sheeple pay $300, $400, $500+ for things that are dated within 5 years.
I'm probably inviting the ire of many when I say this, but I feel the same way about a lot of bathroom and kitchen design ideas.  Like tiled countertops or butcher block countertops, hardwood or laminate in the kitchen, or the whole shabby chic movement (ick!).  Heck, I don't even care for subway tile or painted cabinets.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13180 on: April 18, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »
I'm probably inviting the ire of many when I say this, but I feel the same way about a lot of bathroom and kitchen design ideas.  Like tiled countertops or butcher block countertops, hardwood or laminate in the kitchen, or the whole shabby chic movement (ick!).  Heck, I don't even care for subway tile or painted cabinets.

I kind of like the term "shabby chic". It sounds more impressive than "my kids have destroyed the inside of my home and everything is worn and scarred".

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13181 on: April 18, 2016, 08:56:07 AM »

I kind of like the term "shabby chic". It sounds more impressive than "my kids have destroyed the inside of my home and everything is worn and scarred".

Butcher block countertop: 1/5 the cost of granite, and when your kids take a sharpie to it you can sand it and re-oil it and it doesn't show. It's a sensible choice for a certain phase of life. ;)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13182 on: April 18, 2016, 09:22:41 AM »

What is wrong with hardwood or laminate in the kitchen? Laminate is cheap; that is the appeal (although I do agree it doesn't look that great all of the time; sometimes I'd prefer linoleum). Hardwood... Well, it was installed in my aunt's kitchen in 1982 and through 3 kitchen renovations it has stayed. It was installed in my grandparents kitchen in the 1940's or early 50's and was only removed when the house was torn down. I always thought it looked excellent in just about any kitchen, and could be a timeless option. Obviously laminate is not, but that is where the price difference comes in.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13183 on: April 18, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »

What is wrong with hardwood or laminate in the kitchen? Laminate is cheap; that is the appeal (although I do agree it doesn't look that great all of the time; sometimes I'd prefer linoleum). Hardwood... Well, it was installed in my aunt's kitchen in 1982 and through 3 kitchen renovations it has stayed. It was installed in my grandparents kitchen in the 1940's or early 50's and was only removed when the house was torn down. I always thought it looked excellent in just about any kitchen, and could be a timeless option. Obviously laminate is not, but that is where the price difference comes in.

The problem is really water damage.  I have hardwood in my kitchen but near the fridge is warped due to a water leak.  I like the way the wood looks, and it's moderately easy to clean, but if I was designing a kitchen I'd use tile or vinyl (the difference between vinyl and laminate being that vinyl comes in huge sheets so few water intrusion points).  My kitchen is open plan though so it would look a bit weird to suddenly change from wood to tile

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #13184 on: April 18, 2016, 10:20:14 AM »
I'm probably inviting the ire of many when I say this, but I feel the same way about a lot of bathroom and kitchen design ideas.  Like tiled countertops or butcher block wooden countertops, hardwood or laminate in the kitchen, or the whole shabby chic movement (ick!).  Heck, I don't even care for subway tile or painted cabinets.

Butcher block wooden countertop: 1/5 the cost of granite, and when your kids take a sharpie to it you can sand it and re-oil it and it doesn't show. It's a sensible choice for a certain phase of life. ;)

What's really annoying is when designers co-opt terminology and bastardize it to market a trend.  Lost cause I know, but butcher blocks are end-grain. Some designer somewhere decided he/she liked the look of butcher block and laminated thick boards together and started calling it "butcher block" without realizing the difference in utility between end grain and edge grain.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13185 on: April 18, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
I second this foam.

How hard is it to install your own counter tops? Also my house is soon (fingers crossed) to be shared with two tenants so I wouldn't want anything nice. Should I go with laminate? I do like the wood counter tops, are they stable and able to look good while taking some abuse from tenants?

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #13186 on: April 18, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
I second this foam.

How hard is it to install your own counter tops? Also my house is soon (fingers crossed) to be shared with two tenants so I wouldn't want anything nice. Should I go with laminate? I do like the wood counter tops, are they stable and able to look good while taking some abuse from tenants?

Generally, they're not too difficult to install. The actual build can be a bit difficult depending on things like sinks, corners and cutouts. If you have them made, install usually just consists of setting them in place and screwing or gluing them in place.

Laminate is generally the cheapest and easiest. You simply use a couple sheets of 3/4 particle board to build the main structure of it. Then apply a trim board to the outside edge flush with the top. Use contact cement to apply slightly oversized laminate to the top. Finally, use a router and a chamfer bit(w/ bearing) to trim the excess laminate. You'll end up with something like this.

Post in the DIY section if you want more info.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #13187 on: April 18, 2016, 11:08:19 AM »
MgoSam, keep in mind that butcher block is not water-proof or even especially water-resistant, and that it will absolutely stain. It's relatively easy to repair, but it takes time and makes dust. Even the end-grain stuff will require more maintenance than almost anything else.

As for laminate, it's a great choice IF you plan it to have seams kept away from wet areas. I sell the stuff in one of my lives- feel free to send me a message if you have questions.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13188 on: April 18, 2016, 11:09:01 AM »
I second this foam.

Cheapo granite may seem like the fancy option, but it's damn near indestructible and the builder grade stuff isn't that expensive.  You can't hurt it unless you're actively trying to, unlike wood and laminate which can be easily hurt through thoughtlessness (staining, cutting marks, etc).
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13189 on: April 18, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
I second this foam.

NOT WITH TENANTS.

They are resistant WITH CARE (immediate attention to water spills and water near the sink, and also regular oiling - I wipe them down with a thin coat of mineral oil every 2 months or so). Without that attention, they'll dry/warp/absorb stuff left on them. Not good.

Also, if you have tenants, get DARKER laminate - my last apt before we built out house had permanently-stained white laminate from the previous tenants, and no matter how much you clean/disinfect, it still always just seems gross.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #13190 on: April 18, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »
I second this foam.

Cheapo granite may seem like the fancy option, but it's damn near indestructible and the builder grade stuff isn't that expensive.  You can't hurt it unless you're actively trying to, unlike wood and laminate which can be easily hurt through thoughtlessness (staining, cutting marks, etc).

I disagree about cheapo ("builder-grade") granite. I've known several people who've gone this way to save money and gotten cracks a short time later- whether that was because of inferior slabs or half-assed installers is hard for me to say, but I'd guess both were at play. If you do go that way, double-check for levelness, proper support, etc. Then probably seal it yourself, too, because it's a pain in the ass to get stains out of stone once they're set.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13191 on: April 18, 2016, 11:22:45 AM »
Thanks everyone. I will post in the DIY section once I'm ready for this improvement. Right now I'm happy with the way things look and will get more use out of them before changing them out. First project that I would be willing to do is put in laminate flooring instead of my carpet, but that is not going to happen until I get more use out of my carpet first.

BeautifulDay

• Stubble
« Reply #13192 on: April 18, 2016, 11:28:24 AM »
My company announced that our 401k rules are changing to allow people to take out loans.  Previously there really wasn't a way for people to access these accounts, so we've had staff quit because they've needed to withdraw money from their 401k.  If people are willing to quit to get at the money, I suppose this is better.  At least they will still have a job. But I can't help thinking that this will hurt other people who will be encouraged to take out these loans but maybe would' have gone to the extreme of quitting their job for it. 

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13193 on: April 18, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »

I'd like to think that some kitchens will be timeless.

I mean, my friend's mom's kitchen is from the 70s and had orange formica counter tops.
another friend's kitchen has yellow formica countertops.
I've seen kitchens from the 80s, which are white cabinet faces with fake wood trim.  Yuck.

Other than that, things can be ugly and a bit dated, but not out of style.

I sometimes think of it in terms of rentals.  Things that are probably somewhat timeless:
Wood cabinets
White cabinets
Black cabinets

Granite
Marble
Tile
Multicolor formica or other type of counter (you know, more colors hides the dirt)

Stainless sinks
White sinks (though I hate these for difficulty to keep clean)

White appliances
Black appliances
Stainless appliances

From there, it all depends on what fits the house.  I love me some sleek granite, stainless steel, fancy wood cabinets.
But honestly?  I've got a tiny, old home with a galley kitchen.  It would have been overkill.  Our countertops have tan-ish colored tile (because my husband had skills for tile).  The cabinets that came with the house were painted cabinets with wood stained doors and drawer fronts.  So we went with it.  It's not fancy, but it fits the house.
The appliances?  White fridge, black dishwasher, black microwave, black and white stove, stainless sink, stainless hood.  A real eclectic blend.

I guess the one benefit to painted cabinets (you know, the funny colors) is that you can always re-paint.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #13194 on: April 18, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
Speaking of counter tops: not quite overheard at work, but a common thing at work:

People order "temporary" counter tops, usually higher-end laminate. See, they buy a new house and one of the options is to pay extra for granite counter tops instead of the laminate that's included with the house. (You have approximately 65 zillion of these options when building with one of these companies.) So of course they can't get a bigger mortgage than they've already gotten. They definitely don't have thousands of dollars in extra cash sitting around. Despite not having the money to buy granite, the laminate is unacceptable. It wreaks of poverty and brings shame upon the family. It cannot be lived with. So they choose a color and get the laminate tops with every intention of paying us to come back, remove them, and throw them (and the sink) in the garbage a year later when they get a bonus or tax refund or whatever.

This also happens fairly often when people buy older homes. They'll replace the "dated" laminate counters (which are, of course, perfectly fine, just the wrong color) with new "modern" laminate counters in order to make the home inhabitable until they find the money to replace them... usually a year later.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13195 on: April 18, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »
My company announced that our 401k rules are changing to allow people to take out loans.  Previously there really wasn't a way for people to access these accounts, so we've had staff quit because they've needed to withdraw money from their 401k.  If people are willing to quit to get at the money, I suppose this is better.  At least they will still have a job. But I can't help thinking that this will hurt other people who will be encouraged to take out these loans but maybe would' have gone to the extreme of quitting their job for it.
There was outrage here when they limited the number of 401k loans from 3 loans at a time to 1.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #13196 on: April 18, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
So a new guy was bragging about his new vehicle purchase. Thought I would share as it made me cringe hearing him talk about it lol

He recently bought a brand new 2015 dodge ram with all the fixings for something like 50k.

He started about 2 months ago. He was complaining to another co-worker after he had just started, how he could barely afford his rent! I remember him saying to a close co worker friend of mine "man the cost of cigarettes are killing me" as we both nodded our heads in disgust....ugh

This guy probably makes 35-40k/yr possibly 45k max ! I'm guessing his loan terms are too gruesome for me to even ask...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:00:19 PM by Kevin S. »

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #13197 on: April 18, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »

-Talked about how much she loves this one burrito place because it's "soooo cheap". It's $8-10 for a burrito.

Yikes. I don't think $8 is patently expensive for a great burrito, that's generally how much I'll spend for a burrito bowl at Chipotle when I don't want to cook at home, but there's no way I would consider it cheap. There's a few locations of Zantigos in Minnesota, it's a fast food place like Taco Bell...if Taco Bell actually made things from scratch, and I love going there every once in a while (back when I lived a mile away, I was there more times than is healthy). It's around $3 for a bean-cheese burrito that has the perfect amount of food for me. I don't think it is all that costly, but I would never refer to it as cheap.

I heard about Zantigo being opened up again by relatives of the previous owners.  Too bad it is MN only. Would love to have a Zantigo in STL.  Too bad Pepsi shut the chain down when it purchased KFC back in the 80's since they already owned Taco Bell.

Oh boy, Zantigo is back?  I don't live in Minnesota any more, but Zantigo used to be my "Friday night and I just got paid" go-to back in the day when I was an impoverished college student.  Can't wait to come back and visit! 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13198 on: April 18, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »

Oh boy, Zantigo is back?  I don't live in Minnesota any more, but Zantigo used to be my "Friday night and I just got paid" go-to back in the day when I was an impoverished college student.  Can't wait to come back and visit!

There are a few locations, one in Woodbury and another in Fridley. I think there's another in downtown St. Paul but if so, I think that one is only open during business hours.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13199 on: April 19, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »
Despite not having the money to buy granite, the laminate is unacceptable. It wreaks of poverty and brings shame upon the family. It cannot be lived with.

I laughed out loud. in my office.