Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4926798 times)

andy85

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13100 on: April 06, 2016, 08:10:23 AM »
Finally have a decent one.

Lady in my building retiring at the end of this month. In her 60s, can't make more than 50-60k/year. Last week she did a 2 or 3 year lease on a 2016 Ford Mustang for like $360/month....1 month from retirement...and i have overheard her saying how she expects her income to drop. So, should work well with an extra monthly payment in the mix.

Sigh

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13101 on: April 06, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
I just spoke to a customer of mine, we are very friendly with each other and so we talk about a bit more than just products. He was asking me about the Tesla Model 3, knowing that I would be interested in getting one. I mentioned that I have a Camry that's only about 10 years old so it will be a while before I need a car. He mentioned that he finances his car and trades them in every few years, "I lose the negative equity but I just roll it into the new car, that way I don't have to worry about maintenance. Plus I'm used to having a car payment."

I didn't know what to say. A year ago he asked me for my number and I told him that it was 1M and he said that he wanted at least $10M. He's a great guy, but not very good at managing my money.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13102 on: April 06, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »
Co-Worker yesterday...

"I know what you mean about not taking on any debt at all. I don't either. I get my inlaws to write me loans instead. They charge me half the interest the bank does!"

I can't decide whether this is smart or not, but either way, its still debt.

Sounds like a great way to develop co-dependence, put all your eggs in one (family's) basket, and also not get credit on your credit score for timely payments. Pass.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13103 on: April 06, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »
Co-Worker yesterday...

"I know what you mean about not taking on any debt at all. I don't either. I get my inlaws to write me loans instead. They charge me half the interest the bank does!"

Sounds like a great way to develop co-dependence, put all your eggs in one (family's) basket, and also not get credit on your credit score for timely payments. Pass.

This idea has crossed my mind when I was buying a house. I have the cash to pay cash for it, but instead I took out a 30 year mortgage and put in a 20% down payment. My families company has a ton of cash collecting nearly nothing our savings account and I would have saved a ton of closing costs and the like to have gotten a private mortgage and my company would have generated a greater return.

I didn't bring it up because I don't want to cause any dependency issues or cause any future conflicts.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #13104 on: April 06, 2016, 12:36:32 PM »
Co-Worker yesterday...

This idea has crossed my mind when I was buying a house. I have the cash to pay cash for it, but instead I took out a 30 year mortgage and put in a 20% down payment. My families company has a ton of cash collecting nearly nothing our savings account and I would have saved a ton of closing costs and the like to have gotten a private mortgage and my company would have generated a greater return.

I didn't bring it up because I don't want to cause any dependency issues or cause any future conflicts.
Good man! I've seen family loans come with invisible clauses and obligations. I've seen relationships ruined. Separation of business and family dealings is best.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #13105 on: April 06, 2016, 03:13:11 PM »
Co-Worker yesterday...

Good man! I've seen family loans come with invisible clauses and obligations. I've seen relationships ruined. Separation of business and family dealings is best.

+1. Part of work is complaining about it at home. If you can't do that without blaming family members then...you have a problem.
The good: 27 years old, 1 car, not renting anymore.
The bad: Single income, only about $17k in retirement, and no FI date.
The ugly: 1 year ago I was doing much better but lost all possessions due to mold. It has been an emotional roller coaster.

Blog: http://bravelycontent.blogspot.com/

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13106 on: April 06, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »
Not strictly anti-MMM in the financial sense, but if you want to know what lifetime servitude to the federal system does to people, here's an example.

Two GS-13s are currently having an argument over a cubicle.

Another former Fed here; the worst part of my time as a GS-14 was exactly this nonsense. Since so much in the Federal service is standardized (pay, time off, etc) all that is left to complain about is whether (1) someone else's workload is perceived to be lighter, (2) other people are getting to the office on time, and (3) who has a window in their cube. To paraphrase a famous quote, the fighting is so bitter because the stakes are so low.

Don't think this is unique to government employees. The exact same thing goes on in big corporations. Another manager picked a public fight with me when my report got the window cube he felt his report should have . . .
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:21:21 PM by NoraLenderbee »

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #13107 on: April 06, 2016, 07:49:56 PM »
Not strictly anti-MMM in the financial sense, but if you want to know what lifetime servitude to the federal system does to people, here's an example.

Two GS-13s are currently having an argument over a cubicle.

Another former Fed here; the worst part of my time as a GS-14 was exactly this nonsense. Since so much in the Federal service is standardized (pay, time off, etc) all that is left to complain about is whether (1) someone else's workload is perceived to be lighter, (2) other people are getting to the office on time, and (3) who has a window in their cube. To paraphrase a famous quote, the fighting is so bitter because the stakes are so low.

Don't think this is unique to government employees. The exact same thing goes on in big corporations. Another manager picked a public fight with me when my report got the window cube he felt his report should have . . .

/Facepalm. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13108 on: April 06, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »
In my second job out of school, my boss stuck one of his extra bookcases in my cube. He did not have room for it, and I needed access to the documents it contained. The office manager got very bent out of shape about this, since as a new hire, I was not entitled to a bookcase. I pointed out that I had nothing to do with it being there and she needed to speak with my boss. Apparently, my having a bookcase went up to the area managing partner and was extensively discussed in several meetings. I ended up keeping the bookcase, but the office manager scowled whenever she saw it.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13109 on: April 06, 2016, 08:34:01 PM »
In my second job out of school, my boss stuck one of his extra bookcases in my cube. He did not have room for it, and I needed access to the documents it contained. The office manager got very bent out of shape about this, since as a new hire, I was not entitled to a bookcase. I pointed out that I had nothing to do with it being there and she needed to speak with my boss. Apparently, my having a bookcase went up to the area managing partner and was extensively discussed in several meetings. I ended up keeping the bookcase, but the office manager scowled whenever she saw it.

Once you calculate hourly rate+overhead of the people discussing it, that is one expensive bookcase.

Words spoken by me, at work, today, to my boss: "she is my colleague, but she is not entitled to scream at me, belittle me, or call me names, in private OR in front of the rest of the team. You can either ensure that she never does it again, or you have two weeks to work on my transition plan."

I am not FI, but we have no debt (as of this month) and can make ends meet on one salary. Obviously I'd like to keep earning money, but not badly enough to put up with this. God, it's so freeing.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13110 on: April 06, 2016, 09:32:37 PM »
I interned at a government lab where my immediate manager broke his office chair.
On trying to get a replacement the stores told him they only had stock of chairs for a higher grade and so he couldn't have one.
Of course they also wouldn't issue him with a regular chair because he had an office.
The sage of the chair continued all the time I was there.

This was a lab with a $Bn budget and $$$Bn of research facilities and equipment     

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #13111 on: April 07, 2016, 05:50:11 AM »

Wait. Not paying out owed vacation is legal in the US??? Seriously?

No, it's not.
It depends on what kind of employment contract you have with the company. If they terminate your employment, a lot of times they have every right to not pay you for your banked vacation time.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13112 on: April 07, 2016, 05:53:42 AM »

No, it's not.
It depends on what kind of employment contract you have with the company. If they terminate your employment, a lot of times they have every right to not pay you for your banked vacation time.

This also varies by state.

At my last job, even though I quit, I got paid out for ~90 hours of vacation unexpectedly - after researching it further I found out that my company was headquartered in a state where paying out accrued vacation is legally required by state law.

Was a nice bonus I was not expecting!

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13113 on: April 07, 2016, 07:29:56 AM »

No, it's not.

At my last job, even though I quit, I got paid out for ~90 hours of vacation unexpectedly - after researching it further I found out that my company was headquartered in a state where paying out accrued vacation is legally required by state law.

However, a key note is that vacation days are not the same as PTO days. If you have vacation and sick separate, then the laws apply to the vacation days, but if you have them combined, then the law does fuck all.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13114 on: April 07, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »

No, it's not.

However, a key note is that vacation days are not the same as PTO days. If you have vacation and sick separate, then the laws apply to the vacation days, but if you have them combined, then the law does fuck all.
In CA it doesn't matter - vacation, PTO, you get it paid out.  If you get separate sick leave, they don't have to pay it out.

"While PTO is an acceptable benefit, employers are warned that the Labor Commissioner will consider the entire sum of PTO to be vacation. Therefore, the entire amount of accrued but unused PTO granted to employees must be paid out at the termination of the employment relationship."

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13115 on: April 07, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »

No, it's not.

This happened to me, too!  I had way more days saved up than I got credit for, but I was expecting 0, so it was a nice ~$1,500 surprise.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13116 on: April 07, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »

No, it's not.

In CA it doesn't matter - vacation, PTO, you get it paid out.  If you get separate sick leave, they don't have to pay it out.

"While PTO is an acceptable benefit, employers are warned that the Labor Commissioner will consider the entire sum of PTO to be vacation. Therefore, the entire amount of accrued but unused PTO granted to employees must be paid out at the termination of the employment relationship."

Ah, California. I think Ne York has the vacation provision but not the PTO provision or something. Stupid IMO, but that's how US labor law is.

CheapskateWife

• Pencil Stache
  • Risking bike-vag to cure MS
    • I'm riding from Houston to Austin TX to beat MS...find out how you can get involved too!
« Reply #13117 on: April 07, 2016, 10:45:58 AM »

Words spoken by me, at work, today, to my boss: "she is my colleague, but she is not entitled to scream at me, belittle me, or call me names, in private OR in front of the rest of the team. You can either ensure that she never does it again, or you have two weeks to work on my transition plan.".

*golf clap*

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13118 on: April 07, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »

Words spoken by me, at work, today, to my boss: "she is my colleague, but she is not entitled to scream at me, belittle me, or call me names, in private OR in front of the rest of the team. You can either ensure that she never does it again, or you have two weeks to work on my transition plan."

I am not FI, but we have no debt (as of this month) and can make ends meet on one salary. Obviously I'd like to keep earning money, but not badly enough to put up with this. God, it's so freeing.

That's awesome! That's what really opened my eyes to being frugal is that by having money saved and needing less money than others to live, it opens so many more possibilities. Right now if everything goes to shit and I need to live off my savings, I could probably last at least 20 years (assuming interest on my nest egg). That is power very few people have.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13119 on: April 07, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »

That's awesome! That's what really opened my eyes to being frugal is that by having money saved and needing less money than others to live, it opens so many more possibilities. Right now if everything goes to shit and I need to live off my savings, I could probably last at least 20 years (assuming interest on my nest egg). That is power very few people have.

Several years ago I and another colleague were yelled at by a coworker. During the event, I stood up to the coworker, even though they technically outranked me. Second, the boss was in town so I went to their office and said That I refuse to be treated this way. I don't need this job that badly. Coworker got in trouble. Later offered one of those non-apologies (sorry, but here's my excuse). Ha - don't care if you are sorry. I do care that you don't do it again.

We'd love to hear your Chapter 2 (does boss talk to colleague? Does colleague stop bad behavior? Are you indirectly punished for bringing this up?).

Chapter 2, in summary:
- He promised to talk to her
- He DID talk to her
- She got annoyed and said that I was 'difficult' because I 'get angry when she blames me for things'
- He had a talk with everyone about how he expects reasonable behavior, etc
- He basically told me that 'it's how she is'
- I sent out 3 resumés to other interesting-looking jobs, because fuck that. I'll stay as long as she's polite and I haven't accepted another job, but that's about the sum total of my commitment right now. So fucking done.

Kruizey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13120 on: April 07, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »
Was walking home the other day, when a woman in a new(ish) F150 pulled up and asked me for money for gas! This is not the first time recently someone in a fancy ass gas guzzler has asked me for money! It takes all of my willpower not to lecture them on not being leveraged up to the hilt on car loans!

Coming to think of it maybe we need someone to print cards with MMM's website on it. Then next time I get asked I can go "here, i've got something for ya" and just hand over the card.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13121 on: April 07, 2016, 03:30:58 PM »
Was walking home the other day, when a woman in a new(ish) F150 pulled up and asked me for money for gas! This is not the first time recently someone in a fancy ass gas guzzler has asked me for money! It takes all of my willpower not to lecture them on not being leveraged up to the hilt on car loans!

To be frank, if I saw this in my city, I would assume it was a variation on panhandling and "gas" was just her cover story.

Uturn

• Bristles
« Reply #13122 on: April 07, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »

This happened to me this past weekend, except they asked for money for food and not gas.... and they were smoking.  I fully understand the addiction to the smokes, did it for years.  But I never chose it over food.
It's not about money, it's about mindset

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13123 on: April 07, 2016, 04:03:12 PM »

To be frank, if I saw this in my city, I would assume it was a variation on panhandling and "gas" was just her cover story.
I've actually had this happen to me several times recently.  It'd kinda weird.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13124 on: April 07, 2016, 05:47:30 PM »
When a panhandler figures out a new scam that gets people to fork over money, that scam covers the nation in really short order.   

Kruizey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13125 on: April 07, 2016, 06:15:04 PM »
Living in Alberta with so much of the economy dependent on oil there are heaps of people debted up to the eyeballs and likely struggling to make payments on all sorts of things. Not a smart thing to do when your whole economy is boom/bust based on one commodity.

Hence the big truck and no money thing is believable but I have little sympathy.

ringer707

• Stubble
« Reply #13126 on: April 08, 2016, 08:07:49 AM »
Picture of an oil rig posted by a friend with a caption that said "please just let there be one more oil boom! I promise I won't buy dumb shit this time!" -__-

Which reminds me, does anyone here watch CBS Sunday Morning? Maybe two months ago or so, there was a story on the price of oil dropping and oil rigs shutting down. They interviewed a man who had worked on the rig and he had the whole "woe is me, no work, bad for the economy" story. His truck had been repossessed, his wife hospitalized from the stress of no income, worried about the house being foreclosed on. Then, this man reveals that when oil was up and the rig was productive, he was making $1700-1800 PER DAY. WHAT. Why did you finance a new truck? Assuming you bring home $1700 a day for 30 days, you could have bought a fully loaded new truck IN CASH. And how were you not putting any money away for a rainy day so you could pay your mortgage? I just had absolutely no sympathy after hearing that.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #13127 on: April 08, 2016, 08:09:45 AM »

Several years ago I and another colleague were yelled at by a coworker. During the event, I stood up to the coworker, even though they technically outranked me. Second, the boss was in town so I went to their office and said That I refuse to be treated this way. I don't need this job that badly. Coworker got in trouble. Later offered one of those non-apologies (sorry, but here's my excuse). Ha - don't care if you are sorry. I do care that you don't do it again.

We'd love to hear your Chapter 2 (does boss talk to colleague? Does colleague stop bad behavior? Are you indirectly punished for bringing this up?).

Chapter 2, in summary:
- He promised to talk to her
- He DID talk to her
- She got annoyed and said that I was 'difficult' because I 'get angry when she blames me for things'
- He had a talk with everyone about how he expects reasonable behavior, etc
- He basically told me that 'it's how she is'
- I sent out 3 resumés to other interesting-looking jobs, because fuck that. I'll stay as long as she's polite and I haven't accepted another job, but that's about the sum total of my commitment right now. So fucking done.

I hate the 'that's how s/he is' cop out, or the 'it's part of your job to get along at with co-workers'.  Fuck that. Do you ever see these folks yell at the boss or higher ups - NO, you do not. Their behavior is situational and they yell at you because they think they can get away with it. Nope, nope, nope, nope.
At least your boss did some follow-up, though could do better.

Indeed. I notice that the people who claim that snotty or abusive behavior is somehow part of their individual essence are able to keep a lid on it when they're talking to a police officer, a judge, or the head of their company. They are 100% capable of containing themselves when they know their actions have consequences. That's why there's lots of spouse abuse, child abuse, and elder abuse, but not a lot of best friend abuse.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #13128 on: April 08, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »
My workplace is generally even keeled, but one of my coworkers is in the process of moving and his recent decisions have baffled me.  He is trading his affordable house 1.5 miles from work for a more expensive one 26 miles away across a stretch of highway with just the worst rush hour traffic in the area.  He has admitted that he only chose the house he did because they put his current house up for sale and got an offer before they had even looked at new houses, so they went on a 10 house shopping-spree in one day and just picked their favorite to put an offer on since they need to be out within a month.  The truly terrible thing is that this is not even the area that they really want to move to, but he refuses to live in his parents guest house (which was plan B if they didn't find a house) while trying to get a house in the area they actually like which is 5 miles from work.  I tried talking to him about just how terrible his new commute will be (I had to do it for a short time while taking my life to work), but he is set on it even though he know how much money he'll be throwing out with his drive.

I am also sad because I had just convinced him to start bike commuting, since I bike right by his house during my commute, but he was waiting for better weather first. So close!
This is not us against them, it’s us for us.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #13129 on: April 08, 2016, 08:54:07 AM »
Picture of an oil rig posted by a friend with a caption that said "please just let there be one more oil boom! I promise I won't buy dumb shit this time!" -__-

Which reminds me, does anyone here watch CBS Sunday Morning? Maybe two months ago or so, there was a story on the price of oil dropping and oil rigs shutting down. They interviewed a man who had worked on the rig and he had the whole "woe is me, no work, bad for the economy" story. His truck had been repossessed, his wife hospitalized from the stress of no income, worried about the house being foreclosed on. Then, this man reveals that when oil was up and the rig was productive, he was making $1700-1800 PER DAY. WHAT. Why did you finance a new truck? Assuming you bring home $1700 a day for 30 days, you could have bought a fully loaded new truck IN CASH. And how were you not putting any money away for a rainy day so you could pay your mortgage? I just had absolutely no sympathy after hearing that.

Was he still paying off the rig though?  It's possible a lot of that was going straight to business expenses.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #13130 on: April 08, 2016, 08:58:11 AM »

Was he still paying off the rig though?  It's possible a lot of that was going straight to business expenses.
Doesn't say he owned it, just one of the employees.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #13131 on: April 08, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »

Wow, I assumed making that much he must have been the owner.  Yeah, just dumb then.

ringer707

• Stubble
« Reply #13132 on: April 08, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »

Wow, I assumed making that much he must have been the owner.  Yeah, just dumb then.

Nope. Just an employee. He also mentioned that he had been around so long that the industry had "gone bust" 3 times before. So it's not like this was a surprise to him.

Also, apologies to everyone, I definitely thought I posted this on the Overheard at Facebook thread. That's what I get for having multiple tabs open.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13133 on: April 08, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »

Coming to think of it maybe we need someone to print cards with MMM's website on it. Then next time I get asked I can go "here, i've got something for ya" and just hand over the card.

This is a common scam - asking for gas money. They do not need gas, it is just another form of begging/scamming/being an asshole.

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13134 on: April 08, 2016, 10:28:32 AM »

I'd've been like, "Lady, if I had money, I wouldn't be walking!" (She doesn't know I'm carless by choice, after all.)

The equivalent around here is, "Please give me [oddly specific # of] cents for a bus pass." I've offered them bus passes; only one person ever took it.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13135 on: April 08, 2016, 10:33:46 AM »

I'd've been like, "Lady, if I had money, I wouldn't be walking!" (She doesn't know I'm carless by choice, after all.)

The equivalent around here is, "Please give me [oddly specific # of] cents for a bus pass." I've offered them bus passes; only one person ever took it.

I'll give them food. Never any money though, ESPECIALLY if they're asking for money for the CTA (Chicago's Bus/Rapid Rail system). Call me selfish and a horrible person, but whenever a homeless person is on the EL, it is a markedly worse ride.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13136 on: April 08, 2016, 10:37:13 AM »
When a panhandler figures out a new scam that gets people to fork over money, that scam covers the nation in really short order.
The gas thing happened to me several years ago.  It was probably 7 or 7:30 am, on my way to work.  There were about 5 other cars in the gas station, all men but me.  One nicely dressed, middle-aged woman in a minivan, "on a business trip and I need gas".  I just said "um, sorry".  I felt a little bad, but ... first of all, on a business trip in a van without a credit card?

Second, she mysteriously drove away without asking any of the men. 

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13137 on: April 08, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »
I was taken for a ride in a similar scam a few months back. On the parking lot at Kroger, a woman with two young kids in tow asked for $5 to catch the bus. I opened my wallet without thinking and gave her $10 (nothing smaller). The way she took the bill from my hand and walked away instantly revealed this wasn't her first rodeo.

Oh well. I wonder if the kids are coached to behave a certain way when their mother pulls that little trick.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #13138 on: April 08, 2016, 10:54:37 AM »
The gas thing happened to me several years ago.  It was probably 7 or 7:30 am, on my way to work.  There were about 5 other cars in the gas station, all men but me.  One nicely dressed, middle-aged woman in a minivan, "on a business trip and I need gas".  I just said "um, sorry".  I felt a little bad, but ... first of all, on a business trip in a van without a credit card?

Second, she mysteriously drove away without asking any of the men.

Eh...probably a scam, but I wouldn't have wanted to go to the men either. Seems too much like the setup to a porno.

hownowbrowncow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13139 on: April 08, 2016, 11:17:23 AM »
I think I fell victim to one a few years back.  A kid (late teens/early 20s) approached me at a BART station in downtown San Francisco needing money for a ticket to a station at the end of the line and then a cab to get home. Think he was looking for $20 or so. I happened to have $4 (surprising because I rarely carry cash) and gave it to him saying 'sorry all I have good luck'. He replies with 'well there's an ATM around the corner...'  Um fuck no.  I just walked off at that point although I really wanted to demand my $4 back.

I got accosted a few years later in a Target parking lot.  A young woman said her purse had been stolen and needed money for a cab home to get her spare car keys. Something felt off and I said "sorry I can't help you" and then she turned all nasty being like "clearly you're not blah blah ..."  Looking back I should have offered to call the police or go get Target security. I mean she'd been robbed - wouldn't they be more helpful then hitting up strangers for cash?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13140 on: April 08, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »
When I was in college there are a bunch of "homeless" people around asking for money. If you ever gave them anything they would instantly ask for more money or ask you to go buy them something warm to eat. I use the quotes because a few of the homeless men had apartments or would stay with family at night but would panhandle because they were making more money than they could at an office job.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13141 on: April 08, 2016, 11:32:23 AM »
I think I fell victim to one a few years back.  A kid (late teens/early 20s) approached me at a BART station in downtown San Francisco needing money for a ticket to a station at the end of the line and then a cab to get home. Think he was looking for $20 or so. I happened to have $4 (surprising because I rarely carry cash) and gave it to him saying 'sorry all I have good luck'. He replies with 'well there's an ATM around the corner...'  Um fuck no.  I just walked off at that point although I really wanted to demand my $4 back.

I got accosted a few years later in a Target parking lot.  A young woman said her purse had been stolen and needed money for a cab home to get her spare car keys. Something felt off and I said "sorry I can't help you" and then she turned all nasty being like "clearly you're not blah blah ..."  Looking back I should have offered to call the police or go get Target security. I mean she'd been robbed - wouldn't they be more helpful then hitting up strangers for cash?

That's obnoxious.  I will say, I once got genuinely caught as a 12 or 13 year old in downtown Philly with no sweater or way to make it home when my wallet was stolen, and was very thankful when a middle-aged woman gave me $5.  I think being an 80-lbs white pre-teen girl was a definite advantage there.

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13142 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:49 AM »
I'll give them food. Never any money though, ESPECIALLY if they're asking for money for the CTA (Chicago's Bus/Rapid Rail system). Call me selfish and a horrible person, but whenever a homeless person is on the EL, it is a markedly worse ride.
Oddly enough, the one person who took the pass (a 1-day Ventra) was on the El. His story was that he needed money for a bus pass for an interview the next day. I think he actually needed it. (Agree with you about worse rides. This one time a woman pulled out a can of Febreze to cover up the homeless smell. One of life's minor heroes. I almost applauded.)

I've been walking home with a doggy bag and been asked for my leftovers before. No problem with that, since they'll probably just rot in the back of my fridge (the leftovers, not the homeless guys).
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13143 on: April 08, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »

(Agree with you about worse rides. This one time a woman pulled out a can of Febreze to cover up the homeless smell. One of life's minor heroes. I almost applauded.)

That is amazing. Wow.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13144 on: April 08, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »

(Agree with you about worse rides. This one time a woman pulled out a can of Febreze to cover up the homeless smell. One of life's minor heroes. I almost applauded.)

That is amazing. Wow.

Reminds me of this bit by Daniel Tosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auMVCfIp1ZY

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13145 on: April 08, 2016, 01:22:35 PM »

I was in the middle of one such incident and I wished I had my gas mask.  I switched to a different section asap.

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13146 on: April 08, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
That is amazing. Wow.
Reminds me of this bit by Daniel Tosh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auMVCfIp1ZY

Wow... maybe she'd seen that? She didn't actually Febreze the guy; he was in the little driver hutch at the end of the car. He was just VERY pungent.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13147 on: April 08, 2016, 01:58:13 PM »

I was in the middle of one such incident and I wished I had my gas mask.  I switched to a different section asap.

One time I was scanning my ticket through the turnstile and I hear the train arriving. Sprint up the stairs, and I have about 3 stairs left when I hear "Doors Closing" and slide in the car right next to the stairs. Ahh, sweet, it is empty! I learned a lesson. There is a reason if there is only one car that is empty. In this case, a passed out person who either had defecated himself numerous times, or had a rotting limb.

That lasted one stop. Fun fact, I can hold my breath between the Western and Damen blue line stops.

franklin w. dixon

• Bristles
« Reply #13148 on: April 09, 2016, 08:59:24 PM »
See this is why we gotta elect Donald, he'll set things right

franklin w. dixon

• Bristles
« Reply #13149 on: April 09, 2016, 09:10:13 PM »
Co-Worker yesterday...

Otoh if your family isn't made of shitheads I'd rather give 300k in mortgage interest to a family member than to Lloyd Blankfein or whoever.