Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5508870 times)

ringer707

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #12950 on: March 24, 2016, 11:16:04 AM »
Was in Starbuck's today (I know, I know, but just drip coffee in my own mug...) and overheard this woman telling her friend about a coupon from CostCo to get two American Doll outfits for $79.99.  What?  I can get myself two outfits for that much.  People really spend that much on doll outfits?!

I wonder if the woman was referring to the gift cards they're selling. I know Costco was selling $100 American Girl gift cards for $79.99, which can then be used to buy anything. Though I don't doubt the doll outfits are that expensive. I LOVED American Girl dolls when I was little. I shudder to think how much my parents spent on them for me. Thank god there wasn't one of the stores near us back then. My niece now loves it, and my brother builds her furniture for the dolls out of wood scraps. They're usually substantially more beautiful than the actual furniture as he builds high-end timber frame homes and works with quality pieces of wood.

Scandium

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12951 on: March 24, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
Was in Starbuck's today (I know, I know, but just drip coffee in my own mug...) and overheard this woman telling her friend about a coupon from CostCo to get two American Doll outfits for $79.99.  What?  I can get myself two outfits for that much.  People really spend that much on doll outfits?!

On the flip side, you can buy an American Girl doll for like $115.  That's way less expensive than a real kid.
At this point I feel obligated to post a link to this hilarious (spoof) article...

Search youtube for "my fake baby"... Prepare to be scared, and scarred.
Those were expensive, but I guess still less than a real one.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12952 on: March 24, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
My 401k provider sent me the "great news! you're on track to contribute the legal maximum this year" email, and also prompted me to see how I stack up against people my age in contribution rate and account balance. Their answer is that people 20-29 are contributing 7% of their income to their 401ks and have an average account balance of $9,700.

This link seems to be publicly available.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12953 on: March 24, 2016, 01:05:48 PM »
My 401k provider sent me the "great news! you're on track to contribute the legal maximum this year" email, and also prompted me to see how I stack up against people my age in contribution rate and account balance. Their answer is that people 20-29 are contributing 7% of their income to their 401ks and have an average account balance of $9,700.

I've seen this before. The fine print says that they're only counting people actively contributing to a workplace retirement savings  plan. So I've been wondering if someone who changes jobs and rolls over their old savings into an IRA suddenly gets counted as a zero in this survey. . . .

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12954 on: March 24, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »
My supervisor has complained, several times in my hearing, about how little he is paid. He buys lunch at least three times a week, and drives a F150 truck.

A co-worker doesn't complain quite as much, but he does buy coffee. Then he'll sit literally steps away from the coffee machine which is always full of coffee. :/

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12955 on: March 25, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
I am buying a radar detector. That qualifies for this thread, right? Speeding costs more than driving more sedately, and I'm spending money to be able to drive faster.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12956 on: March 25, 2016, 04:14:02 PM »
I am buying a radar detector. That qualifies for this thread, right? Speeding costs more than driving more sedately, and I'm spending money to be able to drive faster.

Not unless you meant to post it in "What have you done to save money?" and not in "Overheard at work..."

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12957 on: March 25, 2016, 06:49:16 PM »
Well, I talked about it at work with my coworkers, does that count?

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #12958 on: March 26, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »
I recently completed a degree and got licensed. There are many paths to this degree, typically taking two years. I got hired last week and in our new-hire orientation we got to talking about school. I paid $12K total for mine, including texts, pre-rec classes, no student loans. Other people mention $40K debts to get their degrees. Huh? We got hired by the same company, to do the same job, for the same salary.
I can see it costing more for some people, I tested out of some classes, and had already done many pre-recs. So I can see maybe $20K to get this degree. But, $40K?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12959 on: March 26, 2016, 10:19:17 PM »

Thanks for the link. I'm punching well above my age, even in my zip code (which is higher than national). It is weird that for 20-29 the results were the same for both my zip code and for national.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #12960 on: March 26, 2016, 10:23:37 PM »
I recently completed a degree and got licensed. There are many paths to this degree, typically taking two years. I got hired last week and in our new-hire orientation we got to talking about school. I paid $12K total for mine, including texts, pre-rec classes, no student loans. Other people mention $40K debts to get their degrees. Huh? We got hired by the same company, to do the same job, for the same salary.
I can see it costing more for some people, I tested out of some classes, and had already done many pre-recs. So I can see maybe $20K to get this degree. But, $40K?

Anybody can decide to go to an expensive private school for a ton of money.
I certainly did. But because I am lucky enough to have frugal parents who heavily prioritized education, they paid for everything without any loans. Many others are not so lucky.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12961 on: March 27, 2016, 08:21:31 AM »

Just don't use it in Virginia, radar detectors are illegal here.
Follow my road to semi-FIRE here:  The Road To Mandalay

Post-corporate life blog: Mandalay At Play  Latest entry: We Now Return You To Civilization

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #12962 on: March 27, 2016, 08:32:22 AM »
Overheard in supermarket line.  Guy behind me starts talking to cashier:

"Hey, just got a job at the hospital cleaning up.  It's 12.50 and hour and 40 hours a week."

Cashier: " That's more than you were making here."

"Yeah, it's great."

As the SO and I were pulling out the parking lot, I see him get into a brand new Tacoma extended cab.  Quite possibly the most expensive and useless truck on the market.  How the hell does he have any money left at the end of the month?

MissNancyPryor

• Stubble
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #12963 on: March 27, 2016, 08:06:58 PM »
At our monthly leaders' meeting (Director level and his staff of managers) we were reviewing business practices including retirement benefits.  The  HR rep was showing the pension scale with reductions for early retirement, the usual stuff we should be knowledgable about for our own staff's questions.  My leader-team peers were complaining, the usual "I wish" kind of remarks, and the Director was leading the whining about wishing he could retire now.  I don't get it.  Every one of those guys has been in their roles 10+ years and are very highly compensated, including a $40K+ bonus annually, and not one of them had it together to be able to retire (everyone is around 50 years old).  Well, except me.....  but I didn't say that out loud. 

I had learned my lesson earlier while talking to one of them over beers about my plan to retire early and his response was, "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."  I had briefly forgotten that being FI is a threat to some and could affect how I am treated at work.  Better keep my mouth shut until it is time to go.  I am GenX and the last thing I am going to do is wait for some figgin pension from a big corporation.  I elected the additional contribution into my 401(K) in lieu of the pension so it is 100% portable and untouchable by any future bankruptcy or merger or any other shenanigans by the company-- my generation witnessed Ford, United Airlines, Kaiser Aluminum, Enron and others and saw what pensioners got handed during reorganizations and BK's.  DH and I have always presumed we would get no pensions and no SS and have planned accordingly, so there may be lots of gravy on the biscuit when we hit 62.  Nothing hurts like hearing a broken down and lackluster co-worker bemoan needing to get to some magic age for a pension or SS.  FTS! 

rencelas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12964 on: March 27, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »
At our monthly leaders' meeting (Director level and his staff of managers) we were reviewing business practices including retirement benefits.  The  HR rep was showing the pension scale with reductions for early retirement, the usual stuff we should be knowledgable about for our own staff's questions.  My leader-team peers were complaining, the usual "I wish" kind of remarks, and the Director was leading the whining about wishing he could retire now.  I don't get it.  Every one of those guys has been in their roles 10+ years and are very highly compensated, including a $40K+ bonus annually, and not one of them had it together to be able to retire (everyone is around 50 years old).  Well, except me.....  but I didn't say that out loud. 

It's shocking to me, too. My old boss (170k+/year, typical 80k bonuses) was always whining about not having enough money. If I made his salary for 3 years, with those bonuses, I'd have already retired.

That said, I run a good sized manufacturing plant, and I drive the crappiest car in our lot. It's kind of eye opening to me to see how many of my employees drive brand new trucks and such with a $40k income. I couldn't imagine spending a year's salary on an automobile.

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12965 on: March 27, 2016, 08:38:59 PM »

In my younger years I had a radar detector I used everywhere especially VA.

What kept me out of trouble though I discovered was cruise control. Without cruise my speed climbs until I'm driving ~80 mph in a rush to get home.

I'm far more patient now a few years older.

Cruise, "good" stereo, and music I love.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12966 on: March 28, 2016, 06:38:38 AM »
Keep in mind that if they elected to live on campus, that can be paid for with student loans too and often costs as much as, or more than, tuition.

boyerbt

• Stubble
« Reply #12967 on: March 28, 2016, 07:33:53 AM »
Overheard my boss talking to another co-worker about his recent car “purchase”, he literally said the words “we couldn’t afford it”….

“We actually couldn’t afford the car payments with all of the options that we wanted in the vehicle so we are leasing it to keep the costs down - we will probably end up doing the lease to purchase option when the lease is up”
If it's free, I'll take three!

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12968 on: March 28, 2016, 09:39:49 AM »

That said, I run a good sized manufacturing plant, and I drive the crappiest car in our lot. It's kind of eye opening to me to see how many of my employees drive brand new trucks and such with a $40k income. I couldn't imagine spending a year's salary on an automobile.

I second this. I run a electronics manufacturing plant and my car is worth less than $2k. Most of my employees drive brand new cars $30-40k range(there entire salary). They used to complain how they were broke to me all the time and I would just point at there car and then to mine.

JoJo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12969 on: March 28, 2016, 09:45:13 AM »
Went to a retirement party last week.  The retiree has a second home in central Oregon.  He was telling me about his garage...
6 vehicle bays, second story is a 1200 s.f. man cave.  He's in the process of adding an elevator.  And this is the garage!!!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12970 on: March 28, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
Went to a retirement party last week.  The retiree has a second home in central Oregon.  He was telling me about his garage...
6 vehicle bays, second story is a 1200 s.f. man cave.  He's in the process of adding an elevator.  And this is the garage!!!

Facepunch all you want, but I want that.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #12971 on: March 28, 2016, 10:36:34 AM »
“We actually couldn’t afford the car payments with all of the options that we wanted in the vehicle so we are leasing it to keep the costs down - we will probably end up doing the lease to purchase option when the lease is up”

My friends said exactly this to me this weekend. Its crazy to me that no one stops to think; maybe we shouldn't buy this car?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12972 on: March 28, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »

My friends said exactly this to me this weekend. Its crazy to me that no one stops to think; maybe we shouldn't buy this car?

My colleague (the one with the household staff who can't pay her tax bill...) is looking for a new car, because she can't afford the 2k her mechanic says her car needs to keep running for another two years.

Some people...

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12973 on: March 28, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »

That sounds glorious.....except I don't really care about the man cave or the elevator.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12974 on: March 28, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »

Elevator or lift? A lift makes tons of sense, an elevator is odd.

If I had the money, the one thing I would really splurge on when building/buying a house is a garage / workshop. 6 vehicle bays is a bit more than I'd want, but I could probably do 2 lift bays and two parking bays (and the parking bays can have car lifts to double the space very inexpensively.) Huh, I guess that's 6 spots...

I don't particularly need a man cave, that's what the garage is for...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12975 on: March 28, 2016, 06:25:30 PM »
Keep in mind that if they elected to live on campus, that can be paid for with student loans too and often costs as much as, or more than, tuition.

This. In my final semester of college the actual tuition was $2700 (including $500 of nontuition "fees"). Room and board was $3050: $1650 for room and then $1400 the heinous mandatory nonrefundable 150-meal plan (the food was so awful that most people couldn't eat all their meals--even when they teamed with somebody off-campus to help eat them). Then you add in textbooks that could run you over $1000 per semester if you weren't lucky enough to find them used on Amazon.

Mind, this was a very inexpensive public school in an economically depressed area with in-state tuition, so it's not the best example. But it does  illustrate how most of the price of a college education does not actually come from tuition.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:32:05 PM by Inaya »
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12976 on: March 28, 2016, 08:57:44 PM »
Which presumably is part of the reason for the increase in fees.
If you are going to be spending $10k/year on rent+transit, $5k/year on food and a few $k on books why not charge you  $20k in fees rather than $12k ? Especially when you don't have to pay it back for years !

It's diffently the reason for ridiculous text book prices.
I went to uni in the UK when there were no fees  (yeah socialism) and textbooks were paperback and 1/10 the price of US textbooks which were only ever hardback. When I moved to the US they explained that, if you were paying $30k in fees, why would you care about a $100 textbook?

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12977 on: March 28, 2016, 09:55:05 PM »
and textbooks were paperback

I knew a non-US education was inferior!
Refinanced $35,000 Parent PLUS loan with Earnest | 7.65% to 4.65%. | $200 bonus: http://goo.gl/dCbBZy

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12978 on: March 29, 2016, 01:45:38 AM »

The man cave alone is ETA should have said twice the size of our house, lol!

AussieCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12979 on: March 29, 2016, 03:27:14 AM »
In my business I deal with pregnant women - some of the ridiculous amounts of money that are spent on prams (frequently $1,500 +), cots, change tables, cord blood banking, pregnancy photo shoots, birth photo shoots, 1 month photo shoots (etc), swingy things to pacify their screaming progeny, baby baths, monitors that let you hear, see and monitor breathing... it makes my head spin. Usually coming from women with massive rocks on their fingers, fake tans-tits-eyelashes-hair extensions, who berate their partner for not doing enough to help them, then three sentences later screech at them for not earning enough to buy them the latest SUV to park in the driveway of their ridiculous McMansion. One woman recently told me (proudly) that all the bits and pieces had cost them over $10,000 (excluding medical expenses) - and then went on to boast that it included nail clippers and a nappy pail, but NOT the photo shoots. STFU!

If my brain has fritzed so much that I make the mistake of mentioning our refurbished cot, borrowed pram, bathing the kids in the kitchen sink, changing their nappy on a towel on the floor/bed/couch lack of professional photo shoots etc I get that slack jawed gape in response, followed by pity.... f-u-c-k!!
Finding our way back to our natural frugal state, after years in the wilderness

Journal at - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/funding-our-perfect-life-(australia)/

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #12980 on: March 29, 2016, 08:01:51 AM »
If you are going to be spending $10k/year on rent+transit, $5k/year on food and a few $k on books why not charge you  $20k in fees rather than $12k ? Especially when you don't have to pay it back for years !

I went to uni in the UK when there were no fees  (yeah socialism) and textbooks were paperback and 1/10 the price of US textbooks which were only ever hardback. When I moved to the US they explained that, if you were paying $30k in fees, why would you care about a $100 textbook?

I was routinely able to find "international editions" of textbooks that were either paperback or oddly bound (one had metal corners and a leather-like cover).  These weren't 1/10th the cost, but more like 1/4 or so.  Still saved some decent cash doing that, though I'm not sure it's 100% legit from the publisher's view...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12981 on: March 29, 2016, 08:15:39 AM »

I was routinely able to find "international editions" of textbooks that were either paperback or oddly bound (one had metal corners and a leather-like cover).  These weren't 1/10th the cost, but more like 1/4 or so.  Still saved some decent cash doing that, though I'm not sure it's 100% legit from the publisher's view...

There was a website I used, it's no longer up, where you could type in the ISBN or title or author and it would comb the internet for the cheapest prices. I manged to find a few international editions and other editions for cheap on there. What made it extra nice is that I was able to sell them after the semester for either my cost, or sometimes more than that (it was still cheaper for them than buying it used at the school bookstore).

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12982 on: March 29, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »

There was a website I used, it's no longer up, where you could type in the ISBN or title or author and it would comb the internet for the cheapest prices. I manged to find a few international editions and other editions for cheap on there. What made it extra nice is that I was able to sell them after the semester for either my cost, or sometimes more than that (it was still cheaper for them than buying it used at the school bookstore).

I don't know which website you were using, but I used bigwords.com (which is still up) for the same thing.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #12983 on: March 29, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »

bookfinder.com is what I used and it's still up.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12984 on: March 29, 2016, 09:15:53 AM »

bookfinder.com is what I used and it's still up.
+1

I checked, the website changed names, the one I used is currently called dealoz.com

New Mom and Dad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12985 on: March 29, 2016, 09:32:19 AM »
Today a co-worker proudly told me that he just bought a 2016 Ford focus. He said that he was offered 16% interest as he and his fiance have no credit. He said he turned this down because they were only offering him $500 for his Jeep. Instead he took their offer of 27% interest if they gave him $1800 for his Jeep. 27% interest. No that's not a typo.

He said they told him he can "probably" refinance to 2% in a few months. He said he got a steal and that the car pays for itself because of the good mpg.

Gaahhhh it was so hard not to punch him.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12986 on: March 29, 2016, 10:07:20 AM »
Today a co-worker proudly told me that he just bought a 2016 Ford focus. He said that he was offered 16% interest as he and his fiance have no credit. He said he turned this down because they were only offering him $500 for his Jeep. Instead he took their offer of 27% interest if they gave him $1800 for his Jeep. 27% interest. No that's not a typo.

He said they told him he can "probably" refinance to 2% in a few months. He said he got a steal and that the car pays for itself because of the good mpg.

What was the length of the financing, indefinitely??? He's going to end up paying almost 1.5x the msrp of the car in interest alone!!!

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12987 on: March 29, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
I never realized until recently what kinds of interest rates you have to deal with when you have bad credit.  I have a relative that works at a pawn shop.  Their interest rate is about 11%...per month!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #12988 on: March 29, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »
Not strictly anti-MMM in the financial sense, but if you want to know what lifetime servitude to the federal system does to people, here's an example.

Two GS-13s are currently having an argument over a cubicle. Three of us had to move out of a particular area so it could be rebuilt, including one of the 13s in question, and during our temporary displacement, the other (who's been here longer) returned from a year-long deployment. Deployment guy is on his fair share of personal shit lists for various reasons, and decided to add to that this morning by pulling seniority and taking the window cube previously occupied (and assumed to be more or less reserved for) the other guy. As this produces a ripple effect that includes "my" workspace, I got to hear about it from him. As we walked into the area in question he openly launched into a tirade against the offender... I just walked away.

I had to go back over just now and partake in a group discussion of how my team (3 total) would rearrange ourselves within that same small (6-cube) area, while deployment guy sat nervously and fidgeted (clearly upset by his castigation but unrelenting all the same) and the whole time, all I can think is, how does any of this matter enough for people to get so wound up over it? It seems to me that the path I have traveled makes me immune to two different unhealthy trains of thought exhibited by these CWs. Deployment guy is clearly a lifer, hanging onto the system for the sake of the paycheck and the security, and has never really bonded with co-workers or shown great interest in having relationships here. He volunteered for a year overseas not long after arriving, probably for the extra pay. Judging from his output, he doesn't find great meaning in his work, and it seems like he's resorted to squeezing whatever kind of validation he can from little things like seniority and a window seat. It sounds really sad. Conversely, on the other side, I think if the offended party (who is senior to me, better paid, and a fellow DINK with oodles of FIRE potential) were in the financial driver's seat, he could look at things like I do - who cares about the seat? I'm here because I want to be, and if I hated it, I could walk. Instead, staring down another 20 years of this shit, being marginalized in the tiniest way is probably magnified in importance. It's a reminder of the pecking order, and of his subordination to the whims of a perceived inferior individual due to the vagaries of the system.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12989 on: March 29, 2016, 10:16:52 AM »
Not un-mustachian in the traditional sense, but gawd, I gotta rant.

Director-level person: "My employees aren't doing *thing* unless I'm on their case all the time, so I can't take a day off because I have to supervise, why aren't they doing this, etc, etc, *whine*" (Note: her employees are ALL highly-paid and highly-trained professionals; we're not running a call center)

Me: "So, you tell them it's part of their job, and that their performance in the next 3 weeks is what guarantees that they will keep HAVING jobs, and then you follow through on that. Haven't you done that??"

Director: "No, they're not gonna like that."

YOU'RE THEIR SUPERVISOR. IT IS YOUR JOB TO SET STANDARDS, ENFORCE THEM, AND ENSURE TEAM SUCCESS. THAT IS LITERALLY YOUR JOB. WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING IT.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12990 on: March 29, 2016, 10:59:02 AM »
If my brain has fritzed so much that I make the mistake of mentioning our refurbished cot, borrowed pram, bathing the kids in the kitchen sink, changing their nappy on a towel on the floor/bed/couch lack of professional photo shoots etc I get that slack jawed gape in response, followed by pity.... f-u-c-k!!
We're at the point now where we don't even bother putting anything under the kid.  Plop 'em down on the floor and change it there.  Hard surfaces are preferred, but we can do it on carpet without making a mess, with a bit more care...

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #12991 on: March 29, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »

Director-level person: "My employees aren't doing *thing* unless I'm on their case all the time, so I can't take a day off because I have to supervise, why aren't they doing this, etc, etc, *whine*" (Note: her employees are ALL highly-paid and highly-trained professionals; we're not running a call center)

Me: "So, you tell them it's part of their job, and that their performance in the next 3 weeks is what guarantees that they will keep HAVING jobs, and then you follow through on that. Haven't you done that??"

YOU'RE THEIR SUPERVISOR. IT IS YOUR JOB TO SET STANDARDS, ENFORCE THEM, AND ENSURE TEAM SUCCESS. THAT IS LITERALLY YOUR JOB. WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING IT.

I think people like the idea of becoming management, but once they're in that position, they don't have the mindset of the job. Your job is not to make friends or maintain those perceived friend relationships. A manager is just another tentacle of the corporation. Some of these supervisors are scared that if they tell the employees to do something they don't like, they won't remain friends. For some people, their only 'friends' are co-workers.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:58:12 AM by jinga nation »
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12992 on: March 29, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »

I think people like the idea of becoming management, but once they're in that position, they don't have the mindset of the job. Your job is not to make friends or maintain those perceived friend relationships. A manager is just another tentacle of the corporation. Some of these supervisors are scared that if they tell the employees to do something they don't like, they won't remain friends. For some people, their only 'friends' are co-workers.

Those are all people who seriously need to get a life, in that case.

Seriously: if you cannot tell someone 'your job is to do X' and expect that they will come in and do X, then they cannot be a supervisor, WT-everloving-F.

I am beyond out of patience with this woman. (Oh: and she's in her 50s and has been a manager for over 20 years. It isn't inexperience.)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12993 on: March 29, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »

The cynic in me says that if a group of people systematically don't do an activity at work, it means that they don't find value in said activity.  Which means it either isn't valuable, or the value hasn't been properly explained to them. 
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12994 on: March 29, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »

The cynic in me says that if a group of people systematically don't do an activity at work, it means that they don't find value in said activity.  Which means it either isn't valuable, or the value hasn't been properly explained to them.

In some cases people will only understand the value of an activity when it is described as "must be performed in order to keep your job."

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #12995 on: March 29, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »

I think I saw that DC also bans them.
And costs more than living off campus, even if that's not with your parents. In Washington, DC, every university is required to house students for two years. It was $1000/mo to share a 500sqft dorm room with 3 other girls. Junior year, another girl and I shared 500sqft studio apartment one block off campus for $1200 total, ie $400/mo less than we had been paying to get twice as much space per person.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:59:52 PM by maco »

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12996 on: March 29, 2016, 01:03:36 PM »

This forum makes me feel so much better about all of my life choices.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12997 on: March 29, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »

In some cases people will only understand the value of an activity when it is described as "must be performed in order to keep your job."

True, but it depends on the quality of the workers involved.  I'd give the benefit of the doubt to professional workers and just explain why it's important.  Assuming it, in fact, is.  I blow off work all the time that isn't. 
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12998 on: March 29, 2016, 01:46:46 PM »

OTOH, this is brilliant if you plan to prepay the loan and get over book for your old car

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12999 on: March 29, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »

OTOH, this is brilliant if you plan to prepay the loan and get over book for your old car

. . . unless you forgot to check whether your loan has a pre-payment penalty built into the fine print. (You might be Mustachian if you didn't know that pre-payment penalties on auto loans even existed.)