Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5298869 times)

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #12850 on: March 10, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »
Anecdotal evidence: On Fridays/Thursdays when I have a 3 day weekend as soon as I leave the building, my team is often let out around 1 or 2. We usually leave around 1:30 to 3:30 (normally it is 5; some of this is dictated by the train schedules and area happy hours). I think we get more done on those short days than we do on a full day.

I often feel I'd be more productive working 4-5 hours than I am during a full day.

Why I love working from home: no one bugs me or interrupts me, so I can do 2 office-days worth of work in about 5 hours... So I do a 4-5 hours of work at home, and then my boss thinks I'm super productive, I accomplish more work, AND I get free time. Win/win?

My most productive part of the day is lunch. I bag my own so everyone leaves and I can focus.  The problem is that is when all my "eureka!" moments happen, but nobody else is around to get answers or follow up from their earlier emails to me.

BeFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12851 on: March 10, 2016, 10:20:17 PM »
I often feel I'd be more productive working 4-5 hours than I am during a full day.

I work at hyper efficiency (the way my personality works, I can't take twice as long to do something that should take less time), so personally, I cannot "work" a full day. My brain would explode and I would get burned out exceptionally fast. I think more people are like this than care to admit, since in our society we are only deemed valuable if we act busy ALL the time, come in early, and leave late =P

But in more direct response to your comment, I think it's completely true for a lot of people. 4-5 hours of 100% focus is often greater than 8+ hours of more diluted focus. But everyone is different and works best in different environments and with different schedules, which is the greatest fault of typical corporate America, trying to put everyone in the same box =P

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #12852 on: March 11, 2016, 05:52:46 AM »
My most productive part of the day is lunch. I bag my own so everyone leaves and I can focus.  The problem is that is when all my "eureka!" moments happen, but nobody else is around to get answers or follow up from their earlier emails to me.

Isn't that why we have writing in the first place? And it's not like emails expire....
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12853 on: March 11, 2016, 06:47:32 AM »

Isn't that why we have writing in the first place? And it's not like emails expire....

Email is horribly inefficient, though.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12854 on: March 11, 2016, 08:27:14 AM »
Or, in the case of my last job, they've realized that 'a crisis' hits every day, without fail, at 4:30pm (and that it's your responsibility to fix it), and so they're always leaving at 7pm anyway... and therefore start coming in at 10am.

(Worked for me, pre-kids: I'm not a morning person, so I'd slept in until 9, have a cup of coffee and read a book, and then shower and leave at 9:45 to be at work for 10. And getting home at 7:30pm is fine if your friends are students and artists and you're gonna be out until 1am on a weeknight anyway, becuase that's still 8 hours of sleep!)

This was my first job.  I started out getting in at 6:30, then quite often having to stay until 7 or 8.  Then, over time, I started getting in at 10, and still having to stay until 7 or 8. 

Crazy how some people couldn't figure out something is due Friday until Thursday afternoon.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #12855 on: March 11, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »

I work at hyper efficiency (the way my personality works, I can't take twice as long to do something that should take less time), so personally, I cannot "work" a full day. My brain would explode and I would get burned out exceptionally fast. I think more people are like this than care to admit, since in our society we are only deemed valuable if we act busy ALL the time, come in early, and leave late =P

But in more direct response to your comment, I think it's completely true for a lot of people. 4-5 hours of 100% focus is often greater than 8+ hours of more diluted focus. But everyone is different and works best in different environments and with different schedules, which is the greatest fault of typical corporate America, trying to put everyone in the same box =P

So true!

I had a boss once who chastised me for leaving after something like a ten hour day. I was just so mentally drained that staying longer would produce nothing of value. Of course, it's easier to work twelve hour days when it's almost exclusively meetings instead of highly technical, mentally tasking work...
Aiming to FIRE in 2019 at the age of 29! I write here: Fetching Financial Freedom (FFF)
Recent Post: Why We Just Spent $1150 Repairing Our $500 Car

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12856 on: March 11, 2016, 09:07:45 AM »
Email is horribly inefficient, though.
By what standard? I think it's perfect for holding a thought until the person who needs to receive it is disposed to do so. Unless you want everyone's desk to look like this:

Of course, it's easier to work twelve hour days when it's almost exclusively meetings instead of highly technical, mentally tasking work...

I actually find meetings to be the most mentally taxing aspect of my job. I've always hated them. There are exceptions: when a few skilled worker bees get together to really get shit done, it's great. But most of our meetings are bloated pieces of shit, loaded up with irrelevant tangents and unproductive time, and overpaid people talking for way too long about theoretically simple problems that could be solved outside the conference room. I usually want to stab myself in the face by the time it ends. I stay sane by crunching numbers on investment scenarios or near-term cash flow issues.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12857 on: March 11, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »

This is an interesting conversation.  When people talk about how efficient they are, I sort of giggled and thought "of course, if you finish your job in 4-5 hours, we'll give you more work to fill your day!"  That's corporate America for you.  One of my bosses was famous for the min 45 hour work week because you KNOW that extra 5 hours they are working!!

I too felt like I was more efficient working part time - got the same amount of work done, no BS, just come in and do it!!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12858 on: March 11, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »

This is an interesting conversation.  When people talk about how efficient they are, I sort of giggled and thought "of course, if you finish your job in 4-5 hours, we'll give you more work to fill your day!"  That's corporate America for you.  One of my bosses was famous for the min 45 hour work week because you KNOW that extra 5 hours they are working!!

Idiots like that are the poster children for the MacLeod hierarchy, which posits that the least competent employees (Clueless) are promoted to middle management to serve as buffers between the Sociopaths at the top and the Losers at the bottom, who are actually more self-aware than the management but unwilling to work substantially harder for perceived marginal gains in status and compensation.
Not only is that kind of idea totally contrary to facts, you have to be kind of inhuman to espouse it regardless of your level of knowledge.

I too felt like I was more efficient working part time - got the same amount of work done, no BS, just come in and do it!!
Yep!
I'll be honest, I rarely work more than half the day. But I kick out some top-notch shit when I'm in a groove.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12859 on: March 11, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »

This is me, too.  I used to feel guilty about it, because I feel like I'm slacking off for a good part of the work day.  But I started to notice just how fast I get shit done when I hunker down to do something, compared to some others doing the same task, so I guess it's just how I work.  If two people get the work done on time it doesn't matter how they went about it, but it is frustrating being expected to look/be busy for 8 hours a day.  Sometimes I try to force myself to do a task slowly, but it's just not enjoyable.

I actually find meetings to be the most mentally taxing aspect of my job. I've always hated them. There are exceptions: when a few skilled worker bees get together to really get shit done, it's great. But most of our meetings are bloated pieces of shit, loaded up with irrelevant tangents and unproductive time, and overpaid people talking for way too long about theoretically simple problems that could be solved outside the conference room. I usually want to stab myself in the face by the time it ends. I stay sane by crunching numbers on investment scenarios or near-term cash flow issues.

"most of our meetings are bloated pieces of shit" made me lol.  That's how I see meetings too.  Sometimes the tech team will get together in the meeting room and rock some shit out, but for the most part it's a lot of nothing getting accomplished and taking a long time to do it.  I'm constantly fighting my company wanting to promote me into a management position, mostly because I would gouge my own eyes out if I had to deal with meetings all day.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12860 on: March 11, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »
"most of our meetings are bloated pieces of shit" made me lol.  That's how I see meetings too.  Sometimes the tech team will get together in the meeting room and rock some shit out, but for the most part it's a lot of nothing getting accomplished and taking a long time to do it.  I'm constantly fighting my company wanting to promote me into a management position, mostly because I would gouge my own eyes out if I had to deal with meetings all day.
The worst part for me is, I'm just a facilitator type for most meetings. I publish an agenda, collect inputs, produce a slide deck, get everyone there on time, and then I'm expected to say nothing from start to finish. Sometimes I witness conflict based on complete misunderstandings, and it's not my place to set it right. Sometimes I know for a fact the discussion we're having isn't what we're supposed to be there for... doesn't matter. And when one guy in particular takes every meeting into overtime by blathering on about dumb shit, and then makes a show of apologizing at the end, I can't stand up and say "fuck off, if you really care then don't do it EVERY TIME!" hehe...

If I moved up the chain, at least I'd have a voice, but the bullshit would get exponentially worse, and at this point even the financial motive for advancement is marginal. I just won't be there long enough for it to add up to real money... so I spend my free time and mental energy on investment strategies and other outside stuff. I keep my boss happy, which isn't hard, and he takes care of me... my teammates are great and most of my peers across the other shops are cool when we collaborate... the rest of it, I just do my best to tune out and ignore.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:33:29 AM by zephyr911 »

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12861 on: March 11, 2016, 11:36:11 AM »
The worst part for me is, I'm just a facilitator type for most meetings. I publish an agenda, collect inputs, produce a slide deck, get everyone there on time, and then I'm expected to say nothing from start to finish. Sometimes I witness conflict based on complete misunderstandings, and it's not my place to set it right. Sometimes I know for a fact the discussion we're having isn't what we're supposed to be there for... doesn't matter. And when one guy in particular takes every meeting into overtime by blathering on about dumb shit, and then makes a show of apologizing at the end, I can't stand up and say "fuck off, if you really care then don't do it EVERY TIME!" hehe...

Good lord, that sounds like the worst position ever.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #12862 on: March 11, 2016, 11:39:07 AM »
Reminds me of when I was in middle and high school. Between my older brother and I, we were playing some combination of hockey, football, baseball, or lacrosse, and we were caddying in the summer too. Mom and Dad bought another fridge for the basement just because they were tired of going to the grocery 3-4 times and didn't have room to buy more at a time. I know that between the two of us we were drinking 8 gallons of milk a week. I remember some friends that I ate lunch with my sophomore year of high school (so 15-16) calculated it out and figured out that I ate on average about 5,000 to 6,500 calories a day--large breakfast, mid-morning snack (which was the first lunch mom packed for the day), lunch (that mom packed), another "lunch" from the cafeteria, go home and snack, then eat dinner, then snack some more). Didnít start gaining weight until I turned 21 though. Iím not sure why. *mtn cracks open his favorite frosty beverage*

Funny, when I played sports in high school a remember eating only a single serving of yogurt for lunch, and a couple slices of bread for dinner.  Ran 5 miles before school and 2 hour practice after. Guess the sport?

Sounds like a fellow wrestler to me. ;)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12863 on: March 11, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »
I also assumed wrestler, but gymnast would be an equally valid answer, in my experience.  Although we were discouraged from running long slow distances (theory being we needed to remain fast twitch athletes whose bodies shifted immediately in anaerobic state, not sure if that holds water).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12864 on: March 11, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »
I used to list my position on FB as "bent over".
My job really isn't that bad though. I only spend 3-4 hours a week in meetings like what I described above.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #12865 on: March 11, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »
I also assumed wrestler, but gymnast would be an equally valid answer, in my experience.  Although we were discouraged from running long slow distances (theory being we needed to remain fast twitch athletes whose bodies shifted immediately in anaerobic state, not sure if that holds water).

That theory sounds interesting. I was always told gymnasts keep their weight down to decrease their rotational inertia. All I know is, losing weight kept my food bill low in college.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12866 on: March 11, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »
That theory sounds interesting. I was always told gymnasts keep their weight down to decrease their rotational inertia. All I know is, losing weight kept my food bill low in college.

When I retired out of gymnastics and started running, I had no idea what I was doing.  I went to a local middle school's track and everyone moved out of the inner lanes because I looked like a serious sprinter (six pack, generally pretty cut, ~15% body fat as a woman... not body builder cut, but in that direction).  I couldn't even make it around the track, haha.  So maybe the theory was right.

I think weight matters a fair amount for tall and short gymnasts for different reasons.  "Tall" gymnasts (ie me, then 5'1 or 5'2) tend towards moves that have them in a straight bodied, layed out position for the scoring bumps/aesthetics.  There, one or two lbs difference on the bars really matters.  For short gymnasts, a lb matters a lot because they're just so small overall and propelling 92 lbs in to the air is a lot different from 89 when their legs afford them basically no leverage.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #12867 on: March 11, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »

+1 O.o

Glad it's only a few hours a week for you!
Aiming to FIRE in 2019 at the age of 29! I write here: Fetching Financial Freedom (FFF)
Recent Post: Why We Just Spent $1150 Repairing Our $500 Car

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12868 on: March 11, 2016, 01:54:47 PM »

When I retired out of gymnastics and started running, I had no idea what I was doing.  I went to a local middle school's track and everyone moved out of the inner lanes because I looked like a serious sprinter (six pack, generally pretty cut, ~15% body fat as a woman... not body builder cut, but in that direction).  I couldn't even make it around the track, haha.  So maybe the theory was right.

OMG, that was totally me, too!  I remember that in third grade we started taking the "President's Challenge Fitness Test" that involved things like pull-ups, v-sit and reach, shuttle runs (sprinting), sit-ups, and running one mile.  I killed every single one of the events off the chart, except that stupid one mile run, I thought I was going to die.  They let me re-take that test to qualify for the top level because my first try was so bad.  Haha!  Memories :-)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
    • OhYongHao Life Blog
« Reply #12869 on: March 11, 2016, 03:48:53 PM »

OMG, that was totally me, too!  I remember that in third grade we started taking the "President's Challenge Fitness Test" that involved things like pull-ups, v-sit and reach, shuttle runs (sprinting), sit-ups, and running one mile.  I killed every single one of the events off the chart, except that stupid one mile run, I thought I was going to die.  They let me re-take that test to qualify for the top level because my first try was so bad.  Haha!  Memories :-)

Back in high school my 1 mile run was something around 12 minutes, some people could walk faster than I could run a mile.  Short sprints though I could lay it down.  My freshmen year I played football and one time I recovered a fumble and ran it for a 70 yard touchdown.

Now fast forward to today, last year I ran a 5k in 26min, which is a pace of 8:22/mi.  I also race bicycles and commonly do endurance rides of 70+ mi at least once a week, which is over 3 hours of riding each time.  Now weight matters a lot to me as a cyclist and I have dropped 20kg in the last couple years and am working on dropping another 5-10kg.   For flat rides and sprinting it matters less, but for hill climbing it can make a large difference.  As I see it some people will pay hundreds or thousands for lighter equipment just to shed a few grams, I still have 5000g to shed before starting to pay for light equipment.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12870 on: March 11, 2016, 04:27:13 PM »

If I moved up the chain, at least I'd have a voice, but the bullshit would get exponentially worse, and at this point even the financial motive for advancement is marginal. I just won't be there long enough for it to add up to real money... so I spend my free time and mental energy on investment strategies and other outside stuff. I keep my boss happy, which isn't hard, and he takes care of me... my teammates are great and most of my peers across the other shops are cool when we collaborate... the rest of it, I just do my best to tune out and ignore.

Ha, I'm not sure who has it worse, me or you.

I'm in this great position now - maybe this is the life of a project manager?  But - I have no control over anything or anybody. But I get asked ALL THE TIME if we are going to meet a schedule, and if not, why.

1.  We had a test problem.  Things were blowing up.  They sat for 12 days because the device guy was deciding what to do.  And maybe he decided and forgot to tell the guys who work for him.
2.  Then the data guy didn't review the data.  So 7 days go by.  I realize this (note I was out for 3 of those 7, and sick for a few others), and do the review myself
3.  The person who is supposed to ship them waited 10 days.  Even though I asked for it to happen earlier.

Etc etc, this works for everything we do.
- stuff is delayed at our offshore assembly house.  Because we are small peanuts and they will work on bigger projects first
- stuff is delayed at test because we do not have capacity and mgt won't agree to pay for more

I mean, it's all about too much stuff to do, and not enough people and LITERALLY nobody works for me.  I'm used to just going in and doing things myself to get them done.  Can't do that.  Can only pester.  Have I mentioned that I'm working on a ton of different projects, they are ALL really important (per mgt), but nobody who actually does the work even works for me?

I can work hard to remind people to move the stuff.  I can keep track so that we don't forget anything.  But I can't actually make people work.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12871 on: March 11, 2016, 06:55:52 PM »

I'm in this great position now - maybe this is the life of a project manager?  But - I have no control over anything or anybody. But I get asked ALL THE TIME if we are going to meet a schedule, and if not, why.

1.  We had a test problem.  Things were blowing up.  They sat for 12 days because the device guy was deciding what to do.  And maybe he decided and forgot to tell the guys who work for him.
2.  Then the data guy didn't review the data.  So 7 days go by.  I realize this (note I was out for 3 of those 7, and sick for a few others), and do the review myself
3.  The person who is supposed to ship them waited 10 days.  Even though I asked for it to happen earlier.

- stuff is delayed at our offshore assembly house.  Because we are small peanuts and they will work on bigger projects first
- stuff is delayed at test because we do not have capacity and mgt won't agree to pay for more

I mean, it's all about too much stuff to do, and not enough people and LITERALLY nobody works for me.  I'm used to just going in and doing things myself to get them done.  Can't do that.  Can only pester.  Have I mentioned that I'm working on a ton of different projects, they are ALL really important (per mgt), but nobody who actually does the work even works for me?

I can work hard to remind people to move the stuff.  I can keep track so that we don't forget anything.  But I can't actually make people work.

Confirmed: this is the life of a project manager.

Double points if your boss then asks you what can be done to get things working and you manage to refrain from answering "next time, don't hire blithering idiots who can't do their damned jobs".

Patience: not my strong point.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #12872 on: March 11, 2016, 07:21:04 PM »

I thought I was the only one!

cerat0n1a

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12873 on: March 12, 2016, 12:20:03 AM »
As I see it some people will pay hundreds or thousands for lighter equipment just to shed a few grams, I still have 5000g to shed before starting to pay for light equipment.

Good line! It's a bit of a standing joke among runners here that cyclists will spend thousands on a lighter water bottle or something, rather than just lose a few pounds. Cycling is very popular among middle-aged men in Britain and there is definitely a culture of "all the gear and no idea" competing with your friends to have the most expensive bikes.

Nederstash

• Stubble
« Reply #12874 on: March 12, 2016, 03:25:44 AM »
Heard this from a friend: in her firm there was a big meeting because the budget of a project didn't add up. It was off by a couple of cents. One coworker said it was probably due to rounding up somewhere along the project and hey, it was only a tiny bit over. But that was too obvious and clear cut for upper management! They hired an external auditor, who in the end concluded that the diverging numbers were indeed due to rounding up. Costs of this investigation: 10k.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12875 on: March 12, 2016, 07:17:15 AM »
Heard this from a friend: in her firm there was a big meeting because the budget of a project didn't add up. It was off by a couple of cents. One coworker said it was probably due to rounding up somewhere along the project and hey, it was only a tiny bit over. But that was too obvious and clear cut for upper management! They hired an external auditor, who in the end concluded that the diverging numbers were indeed due to rounding up. Costs of this investigation: 10k.

And this, in turn, sounds like a convenient cover story to hire the external auditor. Better bring in an independent third-party to scrutinize for inappropriate conflicts of interest in that deal. ;)

hankscorpio84

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12876 on: March 12, 2016, 06:05:42 PM »
Annual bonuses were just deposited at my work, so I have heard some good ones this week.  Guy who recently bought a brand new 2015 Dodge truck said his payment is $690 and full coverage is insurance is $250.  Justified the purchase of the more expensive eco diesel option to save money on gas, obviously.  Now he wants the truck to be a different color.  Found someone to "wrap" the truck for $1800, which is of course a good "investment" because it will save the factory paint job and improve resale value.  Face, meet palm.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #12877 on: March 12, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »

To an accountant, being $0.01 and $1,000,000.00 off is the same thing.   If the books don't add up, the books are wrong.  If the books are wrong, it could be because of a simple error or it could be someone doing something wrong - for a whole lot more than that $0.01.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12878 on: March 12, 2016, 07:07:16 PM »

To an accountant, being $0.01 and $1,000,000.00 off is the same thing.   If the books don't add up, the books are wrong.  If the books are wrong, it could be because of a simple error or it could be someone doing something wrong - for a whole lot more than that $0.01.

Same with engineering.  I've been working on projects with errors aligned such that the final result was just a hair off of what was expected.  But when we went to correct it we find it was actually several large errors that mostly canceled each other out and would fail in a corner case

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #12879 on: March 12, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
Sometimes I feel lucky that my job requires me to be present for a certain number of hours a day and that's it. I'm a retail pharmacist; I have to fill whatever prescriptions need to be filled that day, and then aside from that get whatever else done that I can. If I work extra to finish up some project, I can leave early another day when the other pharmacist is there. And I hardly ever have meetings and have an average of one 10-minute conference call a week that I'm not actually even required to be on. 

On the other hand, it would be nice to have a lunch break, particularly when working 12-hour days, but there are always tradeoffs.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12880 on: March 13, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
Sometimes I feel lucky that my job requires me to be present for a certain number of hours a day and that's it. I'm a retail pharmacist; I have to fill whatever prescriptions need to be filled that day, and then aside from that get whatever else done that I can. If I work extra to finish up some project, I can leave early another day when the other pharmacist is there. And I hardly ever have meetings and have an average of one 10-minute conference call a week that I'm not actually even required to be on. 

On the other hand, it would be nice to have a lunch break, particularly when working 12-hour days, but there are always tradeoffs.

Why are you guys so slow?  My wife once had to wait an hour for a prescription that merely required taking the bottle off the shelf and putting it in a bag.  No formulation required.  5 seconds.

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #12881 on: March 13, 2016, 01:51:57 PM »

Why are you guys so slow?  My wife once had to wait an hour for a prescription that merely required taking the bottle off the shelf and putting it in a bag.  No formulation required.  5 seconds.

LOL!!! I concur.  A person can be at a pharmacy with 1 person at the register and the Pharmacist is standing in the back looking rite at you and was doing nothing when you walked up. With no other customers there you give the person at the register your Rx and then you are told to come back over an hour later. WTF???????  LOL!!!  :  ) Just put the fucking pills in the little bottle.   

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12882 on: March 13, 2016, 01:59:12 PM »
Is there anything at a pharmacy that actually requires a chemist ?
Synthesis of Aspirin and Acetaminophen is probably an undergrad lab exercise but you aren't likely to be making up many of the drugs sold.

It's a good job other professions didn't get in on this, I would hate to have to wait for the in-store metallurgist at home depot to sell me some bolts. Although down in Oregon you do need the station's specialist petrochemical hydrodynamicist to pump the gas

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:01:03 PM by nobodyspecial »

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12883 on: March 13, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »

LOL!!! I concur.  A person can be at a pharmacy with 1 person at the register and the Pharmacist is standing in the back looking rite at you and was doing nothing when you walked up. With no other customers there you give the person at the register your Rx and then you are told to come back over an hour later. WTF???????  LOL!!!  :  ) Just put the fucking pills in the little bottle.

LOL!  All kidding aside, though, I honestly would be interested to hear what a typical day is like for a pharmacist, what duties they perform, how long those things take, etc.  I've heard for years now how well-trained pharmacists are in high demand and that you can make a good living as one.  I'm sure it's too late for that drastic of a career change for me now, but being a pharmacist seems like something I might have enjoyed had I gone down that track earlier in my life.  Any pharmacists want to weigh in on this?  Thanks!

ETA:  Sounds like I should give major props to the pharmacists at my local grocery store because when I drop of a prescription in-hand, they always turn it around in 5 minutes, 10 minutes tops.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12884 on: March 13, 2016, 05:18:09 PM »

Yes. Want to make an accountant lose their mind? Have something be off by $0.01. It doesn't matter - if it has to balance, it has to balance.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #12885 on: March 13, 2016, 05:50:14 PM »
This really hasn't been my experience at all. I've always routinely written off adjustments under $1, under $10, under $100, depending on context. If you're making a payment of $1K and you only have support for $900 of it, that's a problem. But if you're booking a tax accrual of $1M and your calculation is out of balance by $100, who cares? Move on.

That said, I once had a manager reject a journal entry because it contained a $0.01 adjustment for which I had not provided support. Everyone who heard about it thought it was ridiculous, though.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12886 on: March 13, 2016, 06:56:34 PM »
Is there anything at a pharmacy that actually requires a chemist ?
Synthesis of Aspirin and Acetaminophen is probably an undergrad lab exercise but you aren't likely to be making up many of the drugs sold.

It's a good job other professions didn't get in on this, I would hate to have to wait for the in-store metallurgist at home depot to sell me some bolts. Although down in Oregon you do need the station's specialist petrochemical hydrodynamicist to pump the gas

Not a chemist? But some creams, drops, and, such need to be mixed to the proper strength.  They might not have every prescription in ready-to-use form.  I suspect that are also supposed to review allergies or something like that.  They probably also work on orders for the next day that are refilled or called ahead.  They might call the doctor if it's a more restricted substance.  But nothing that would take an hour to grab a pre-mixed bottle of citric acid off the shelf and slap the label on.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #12887 on: March 13, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »

Same in New Jersey - can't pump your own gas around these parts.
AirBnb referral code for $25 off first reservation: http://www.airbnb.com/c/nroitman?s=8
TopCashBack referral code (we both earn $10): http://www.topcashback.com/ref/infer73

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #12888 on: March 13, 2016, 07:52:25 PM »
My work day at the pharmacy yesterday.  (Saturday-a 12 hour shift, only one pharmacist-me and 2 technicians).  Arrive at 8:45am.  100 prescriptions in line to be filled.  25 of those have to be pre-checked by me before anyone else can work on them.  Five new prescriptions already waiting to be typed.  15 prescriptions left over from last night,  the closing pharmacist couldn't be bothered to finish them.  An order of drugs waiting to be checked in,  recorded in the special book, and put away.  Again, last night's pharmacist couldn't be bothered.  We have to also go back and re-check new prescriptions one last  time, there are 400 of those waiting.  Ding-ding-ding  9am and we're off!!   Windows open.  A few customers come, I help them,  they're really nice,  we chat a bit.   Best part of my job.    Day starts good, my tech's are counting and typing and things are going smoothly.    Sometimes we do get prescriptions that just need a label slapped on, but we gotta make sure it's the right label on the right drug for the right person and billed to the right insurance and not too much money for you to afford.   Any prescription that is controlled has to be counted, double counted and if it's the "hard stuff" counted again .   I prefer the "slap a label on" prescriptions  and I prefer for you to have a zero copay.   It make me sad to have to explain that you have a high deductible plan and yes, it really does cost that much. 
         Prescriptions come to us in several ways:  people drop off written prescriptions, refill bottles.  New rxs come in by phone call, messages left, faxes come and doctors transmit electronic prescriptions.  Over the next 5 hours we work,  Time for a bathroom break.  I eat a chicken tender for lunch--standing  up.  No lunch break for me, no 15 minute breaks,  I work straight through, no sitting down because there is too much to do.  At 2pm we get 7 totes full of drugs to be put away.  500 items-  takes us 3 hours or so.  By the evening we've filled around 200 to 220 prescriptions (this is a normal Saturday)   And we've sold 100 to 150 prescriptions to people.   FYI,  on Monday we can fill 500 to 600 prescriptions.    I get a chance to finish up that order left over from Friday.  I eat a little dinner, still standing up.   I get another bathroom break.    I make up a new order for next weeks drugs.    We all double check all the 400 new rxs left over, plus all the new rxs typed today.   We end up putting back about 60 prescriptions that people didn't come and get.  We close the windows at 9pm, the  tech's take out the garbage.  I stay an hour over to finish up work I didn't get a chance to do during the day.  Why??  I'm the boss and it's my responsibility.  I'm also salaried, so I don't get paid to stay.   
      I really do like my job,   My customers are my friends.  A  story from Saturday:   a lady called us, we know her well,  she knew her dad was coming to the store and she wanted him to get some cleaner.  So we tracked him down and gave him the message--he is a sweetheart. 

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #12889 on: March 13, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »

I really do like my job,   My customers are my friends.  A  story from Saturday:   a lady called us, we know her well,  she knew her dad was coming to the store and she wanted him to get some cleaner.  So we tracked him down and gave him the message--he is a sweetheart. 

I count my local pharmacist as part of my medical team. So helpful, so supportive. I've gone through some major health issues in the past few years and they have been awesome. More helpful sometimes than the specialised services at the big hospital.

And there is an after hours chemist who is also amazing. I'd just gotten out of hospital during the Xmas shutdown so I couldn't easily access my oncologist or chemo ward, my GP was away and I couldn't access my other specialist. There was an after hours GP but I forgot about that service in my panic. I was gettin a bad (very rare) side effect from one of the drugs the hospital sent me home on and I didn't know what to do. The after hours chemist was AMAZING. Took my complicated medical history, my lack of medical support that day because it was a public holiday where nothing was open, did a whole bunch of research and gave me actionable advice. Amazing service, and the pharmacist had never met before. <3 (I also looked Very Cancer Patient at the time which may have helped)

Tl;dr pharmacists are awesome
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:18:37 PM by Astatine »

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #12890 on: March 13, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
I was gettin a bad (very rare) side effect from one of the drugs the hospital sent me home on and I didn't know what to do. The after hours chemist was AMAZING. Took my complicated medical history, my lack of medical support that day because it was a public holiday where nothing was open, did a whole bunch of research and gave me actionable advice. Amazing service, and the pharmacist had never met before. <3 (I also looked Very Cancer Patient at the time which may have helped)

Wow. Hope you are better now!

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12891 on: March 14, 2016, 06:14:07 AM »

that sounds almost identical (at least in the functionality aspect) to my job. I feel you man.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12892 on: March 14, 2016, 06:19:26 AM »
As I see it some people will pay hundreds or thousands for lighter equipment just to shed a few grams, I still have 5000g to shed before starting to pay for light equipment.

Good line! It's a bit of a standing joke among runners here that cyclists will spend thousands on a lighter water bottle or something, rather than just lose a few pounds. Cycling is very popular among middle-aged men in Britain and there is definitely a culture of "all the gear and no idea" competing with your friends to have the most expensive bikes.
There is a similar running joke among auto enthusiasts about "weight reduction, bro." When the driver weighs 300lbs, but tears the carpets out of his car (5-10lbs maybe) for weight reduction ...

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #12893 on: March 14, 2016, 08:02:26 AM »

Weight weenies.
London City MAMILs (Middle Aged Men In Lycra). The competition is on spending, that's how Banksters do it!
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #12894 on: March 14, 2016, 08:33:39 AM »

When I went to buy a bike, I was very interested in weight because I'm a weakling. Losing weight wouldn't have helped any. The previous bike I had weighed 40% of my body weight! I could only just sort of drag it up the stairs out of the basement. I could lift one tire off the ground by a couple inches, but the only chance I had of getting both tires off the ground was to lean it into my stomach then do a back bend so my hips were a fulcrum. Attempting to get it onto the rack on the front of the bus after I gave up on a hill ended with the bus driver getting out and lifting it onto the rack for me (when I tried to tip it back out of the rack, using my leg as extra leverage, I tore my skirt). At the time, I was one of those girls whose ribs you could easily count.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12895 on: March 14, 2016, 12:21:30 PM »

Confirmed: this is the life of a project manager.

Double points if your boss then asks you what can be done to get things working and you manage to refrain from answering "next time, don't hire blithering idiots who can't do their damned jobs".

Patience: not my strong point.
I'm hoping I get better at being a project manager.  I think I'm better at people managing or just "doing".

My very very first project with this boss - we were really tight on a date.  "Will we have these done by December 1?"  And I work the schedule backwards, and tell him "very likely not".

So then we specifically work at pestering every person in the chain to finish by December 1.  And management is very concerned whether we will make it by December 1.  And the COO specifically.  We do make it by December 1.

But we do this, LITERALLY, on EVERY PROJECT.  EVERY PROJECT has "stretch goals" and unrealistic timelines.  My very first question / comment to my boss with this project was "who the fuck picked that due date?  Because *I* wasn't on the project then and *I* didn't pick it and if I had been, *I* would have started the manufacturing one month earlier." (It was our VP.)

Ugh.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12896 on: March 14, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »
My work day at the pharmacy yesterday.  (Saturday-a 12 hour shift, only one pharmacist-me and 2 technicians).  Arrive at 8:45am.  100 prescriptions in line to be filled.  25 of those have to be pre-checked by me before anyone else can work on them.  Five new prescriptions already waiting to be typed.  15 prescriptions left over from last night,  the closing pharmacist couldn't be bothered to finish them.  An order of drugs waiting to be checked in,  recorded in the special book, and put away.  Again, last night's pharmacist couldn't be bothered.  We have to also go back and re-check new prescriptions one last  time, there are 400 of those waiting.  Ding-ding-ding  9am and we're off!!   Windows open.  A few customers come, I help them,  they're really nice,  we chat a bit.   Best part of my job.    Day starts good, my tech's are counting and typing and things are going smoothly.    Sometimes we do get prescriptions that just need a label slapped on, but we gotta make sure it's the right label on the right drug for the right person and billed to the right insurance and not too much money for you to afford.   Any prescription that is controlled has to be counted, double counted and if it's the "hard stuff" counted again .   I prefer the "slap a label on" prescriptions  and I prefer for you to have a zero copay.   It make me sad to have to explain that you have a high deductible plan and yes, it really does cost that much. 
         Prescriptions come to us in several ways:  people drop off written prescriptions, refill bottles.  New rxs come in by phone call, messages left, faxes come and doctors transmit electronic prescriptions.  Over the next 5 hours we work,  Time for a bathroom break.  I eat a chicken tender for lunch--standing  up.  No lunch break for me, no 15 minute breaks,  I work straight through, no sitting down because there is too much to do.  At 2pm we get 7 totes full of drugs to be put away.  500 items-  takes us 3 hours or so.  By the evening we've filled around 200 to 220 prescriptions (this is a normal Saturday)   And we've sold 100 to 150 prescriptions to people.   FYI,  on Monday we can fill 500 to 600 prescriptions.    I get a chance to finish up that order left over from Friday.  I eat a little dinner, still standing up.   I get another bathroom break.    I make up a new order for next weeks drugs.    We all double check all the 400 new rxs left over, plus all the new rxs typed today.   We end up putting back about 60 prescriptions that people didn't come and get.  We close the windows at 9pm, the  tech's take out the garbage.  I stay an hour over to finish up work I didn't get a chance to do during the day.  Why??  I'm the boss and it's my responsibility.  I'm also salaried, so I don't get paid to stay.   

Yes, one of my best friends is a pharmacist.  She worked retail a few years, and now is an a clinic.

A lot of people don't realize the paperwork involved - checking on the patient, the doctor, checking for allergies, interactions with other medications.  Then there is insurance (we, for one, have double insurance).

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12897 on: March 14, 2016, 01:26:31 PM »
My work day at the pharmacy yesterday. . . . I really do like my job,   My customers are my friends.  A  story from Saturday:   a lady called us, we know her well,  she knew her dad was coming to the store and she wanted him to get some cleaner.  So we tracked him down and gave him the message--he is a sweetheart.

I count my local pharmacist as part of my medical team. So helpful, so supportive. I've gone through some major health issues in the past few years and they have been awesome. More helpful sometimes than the specialised services at the big hospital. . . .

Tl;dr pharmacists are awesome

Yes, one of my best friends is a pharmacist.  She worked retail a few years, and now is an a clinic.

A lot of people don't realize the paperwork involved - checking on the patient, the doctor, checking for allergies, interactions with other medications.  Then there is insurance (we, for one, have double insurance).

Lyngi, thanks for sharing.  Great customer service like your and Astatine's teams provide really stands out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:28:43 PM by LeRainDrop »

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #12898 on: March 14, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »
Thanks Lyngi for saving me the trouble of responding to this thread lol.

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12899 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:33 PM »
All this love for pharmacists ignores the original question. Why do you need to be a chemist to work in a pharmacy?