Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253142 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #12650 on: March 04, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »
Why would you screw with your withholdings for one paycheck? Why not just jack up your 401k contribution for that pay period and not even let the tax man see your bonus? I know for a fact almost nobody in the office contributes more than the minimum to get the company match, so wouldn't that be a much more reasonable way to get to keep all of your money? I just shrugged and said "it all comes out in the wash anyway, right?"

There is a widespread belief that bonuses are "taxed extra," probably because any extra amount added to your paycheck is getting taxed at your marginal rate. I had this conversation on Facebook a couple of years ago - my boss had offered me a choice between a bonus and a raise in the same amount. I ended up taking the bonus because I knew my boss well enough to know she would probably give me the raise anyway (she did, five months later, so I made out very well) and also I would save a little money in taxes if I took the money early because we were moving the business to a higher-tax locale and I would only pay ~30% on it as opposed to ~35% in the new place. But I posted on FB before I made the choice, asking (without giving dollar amounts because that's crass) what people would do or if I were missing something. I have a lot of smart friends who work in business and I figured they'd know more than me.

EVERYONE said "take the raise," not for the right answer ("then you'll have it forever and not just once") but because "bonuses are taxed at a higher rate, so you'll get more of the money if you take it as salary." I tried really hard to explain that you pay tax the same way on all your W2 income no matter if it is considered a salary, bonus, commission, whatever. They just. Did not. Get it. It was baffling.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12651 on: March 04, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
EVERYONE said "take the raise," not for the right answer ("then you'll have it forever and not just once") but because "bonuses are taxed at a higher rate, so you'll get more of the money if you take it as salary." I tried really hard to explain that you pay tax the same way on all your W2 income no matter if it is considered a salary, bonus, commission, whatever. They just. Did not. Get it. It was baffling.
A good litmus test for taxation literacy is to ask a person the difference between and deduction and a credit. Most can't explain that or the concept of marginal tax rates, but that doesn't stop them from speculating about what goes on in everybody else's paycheck. It's maddening to see so much misinformation among otherwise highly educated workers.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #12652 on: March 04, 2016, 11:50:11 AM »
Why would you screw with your withholdings for one paycheck? Why not just jack up your 401k contribution for that pay period and not even let the tax man see your bonus? I know for a fact almost nobody in the office contributes more than the minimum to get the company match, so wouldn't that be a much more reasonable way to get to keep all of your money? I just shrugged and said "it all comes out in the wash anyway, right?"

There is a widespread belief that bonuses are "taxed extra," probably because any extra amount added to your paycheck is getting taxed at your marginal rate. I had this conversation on Facebook a couple of years ago - my boss had offered me a choice between a bonus and a raise in the same amount. I ended up taking the bonus because I knew my boss well enough to know she would probably give me the raise anyway (she did, five months later, so I made out very well) and also I would save a little money in taxes if I took the money early because we were moving the business to a higher-tax locale and I would only pay ~30% on it as opposed to ~35% in the new place. But I posted on FB before I made the choice, asking (without giving dollar amounts because that's crass) what people would do or if I were missing something. I have a lot of smart friends who work in business and I figured they'd know more than me.

It amazes me how many people don't realize that that extra tax withholding is where their big "refund" comes from at the beginning of each year. It's their money to begin with and even if you do take the lazy route of letting the government have an interest-free loan of your money for almost an entire year, it's still going to come back to you when your total taxable income is reported and how much you actually owe for the year is calculated.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #12653 on: March 04, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »
A good litmus test for taxation literacy is to ask a person the difference between and deduction and a credit. Most can't explain that or the concept of marginal tax rates, but that doesn't stop them from speculating about what goes on in everybody else's paycheck. It's maddening to see so much misinformation among otherwise highly educated workers.
I've explained how tax brackets work to people more times than I can count and it still doesn't sink in with some of them.

Two of my coworkers were talking about their daytrading exploits, and somehow they ended up talking about pulling money out of their 401(k)s to fund an etrade account!  They were justifying it because you'd come out ahead despite the taxes and increase in taxable income due to the company match.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12654 on: March 04, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »
Adding to the language foam...where I live some common phrases are:

outen the lights (turn out the lights)
red up (tidy or clean up...red up a room)
yet (as in, are you there yet?  could be 1. are you there or are you still traveling there?  or 2. are you still there? works both ways)
all (the milk is all means we're out of milk)
crik
skip "to be" in sentences (the floor needs swept, the car needs washed)
yous's is popular, and some y'inz

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12655 on: March 04, 2016, 01:48:58 PM »
On the other hand, taking a raise increases your pay forever, while taking a bonus is only a one time payment.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #12656 on: March 04, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »
Not to mention bonuses are taxed more, as everyone knows

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12657 on: March 04, 2016, 02:25:25 PM »
But money today is better than money tomorrow ;-)

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #12658 on: March 04, 2016, 02:36:25 PM »

There is a widespread belief that bonuses are "taxed extra," probably because any extra amount added to your paycheck is getting taxed at your marginal rate.
. . .

The widespread belief probably comes from employers who elect to use the flat 25% federal income tax withholding rate for bonuses.  See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p15/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000202352.  For many employees this results in greater-than-normal tax withholding.  If they said that "taxes on bonuses are withheld at a higher rate" they'd be correct. But most people don't understand taxes well enough to know the difference between "tax rate" and "tax withholding rate."  These are the people who sign a W-4 when they start a job and they only ever think about taxes once per year.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12659 on: March 04, 2016, 02:54:28 PM »

There is a widespread belief that bonuses are "taxed extra," probably because any extra amount added to your paycheck is getting taxed at your marginal rate.
. . .

The widespread belief probably comes from employers who elect to use the flat 25% federal income tax withholding rate for bonuses.  See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p15/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000202352.  For many employees this results in greater-than-normal tax withholding.  If they said that "taxes on bonuses are withheld at a higher rate" they'd be correct. But most people don't understand taxes well enough to know the difference between "tax rate" and "tax withholding rate."  These are the people who sign a W-4 when they start a job and they only ever think about taxes once per year.

Where I work, we get a largish bonus that is included on the first check of the year.  It makes it look like my yearly rate is going to be very large and changes the percentage withheld, so it looks like you are paying more taxes.  But this all evens out at tax time the next year, because it does not actually affect my tax rate, just the with holdings on one cheque...

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #12660 on: March 04, 2016, 03:59:12 PM »

. . .

Where I work, we get a largish bonus that is included on the first check of the year.  It makes it look like my yearly rate is going to be very large and changes the percentage withheld, so it looks like you are paying more taxes.  But this all evens out at tax time the next year, because it does not actually affect my tax rate, just the with holdings on one cheque...
This can throw a wrench into planning to not recieve a refund (or owe tax) though.  The payroll system at my job calculates withholdings in each period as if you were earning that much in every period all year.  When my signing bonus/relocation reimbursement came through on my first normal paycheck, the system thought I was making ~350K a year and withheld a ton of extra money.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12661 on: March 04, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »

I loved it when southerners asked me to "Mash the switch"

Like I was going to get out a sledge hammer to turn on the lights.

Sorry to interfere with your mashing, but one mashes a button, not a switch, so unless you have very old-style two button lights, you're flipping those.

I pictured this:

That's a switch, seems like you could mash that.

You're right. Didn't think of that sort, but if any were around me I'd totally ask people to mash it (that's very much a part of my own dialect). As are several things mentioned here:

My floor currently needs swept.
While I don't outen the lights, I am ashamed to serve store boughten bread to guests.
I use y'all more frequently but y'uns sometimes, and my older relatives use it more than I do.
I often tote stuff in a poke, but I know better than to buy a pig in one (the idea is that it could be sickly or even be something else entirely; one should always inspect the pig).
I also will red up the place if company's coming.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:42:51 PM by Rural »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12662 on: March 04, 2016, 06:00:27 PM »
Do your apples come out like 'alpples' instead?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12663 on: March 04, 2016, 06:02:07 PM »

yet (as in, are you there yet?  could be 1. are you there or are you still traveling there?  or 2. are you still there? works both ways)
crik
About 2/3 of those are from my neck of the woods.  You must be near-ish Pittsburgh! 

Do you know what a grinny is?

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12664 on: March 04, 2016, 07:50:34 PM »

crik
About 2/3 of those are from my neck of the woods.  You must be near-ish Pittsburgh! 

I used to spend a lot of time at/in the crik.  Catching bullfrogs and trying to catches grinnies ( ground squirrels).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:08:51 PM by Smokystache »

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #12665 on: March 05, 2016, 03:51:50 AM »
I work with a woman who is  retiring in January with a good sized pension.  She was discussing the amount of taxes she was going to have withheld from her pension check and stated "I need to get the same refund I get now otherwise I won't be able to pay my bills." 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #12666 on: March 05, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
"poke 3  (pōk)
n. Chiefly Southern US
A sack; a bag.
[Middle English, probably from Old North French; see pocket.]

Word History: A pig in a poke is a colorful vernacular expression used to describe something offered in a manner that conceals its true nature or value. Naturally, a buyer cannot inspect the pig if it is covered by a poke—that is, a bag or sack. The word poke meaning "bag" is not confined to just the American South—in many parts of Scotland, poke bag is still used of a little paper bag for carrying purchases like candy. Poke first appears in English in the 1200s and probably comes from Old North French, the northern dialect of Old French. The Old North French word in turn is probably of Germanic origin and is related to words like Icelandic poki, "bag." Poke has several relatives within English. The word pocket comes from Middle English poket, meaning "pouch, small bag," which in turn comes from Anglo-Norman pokete, a diminutive of Old North French poke. Pouche, a variant form of Old North French poke, is the source of the English word pouch." (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/poke)

Old North French via Scotland via Scottish American south, fascinating.

Also the modern English word "pocket".

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12667 on: March 05, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »

crik

Y'all might have fun with this:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12668 on: March 06, 2016, 02:27:35 AM »

crik

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

I did it for funsies (being an Aussie). I broke it! "An error has occurred. Please save this link for later."

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12669 on: March 06, 2016, 02:38:56 AM »

crik

I did it for funsies (being an Aussie). I broke it! "An error has occurred. Please save this link for later."

Me too! (English)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12670 on: March 06, 2016, 05:58:45 AM »

crik

Me too! (English)
Me three! Canadian

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12671 on: March 06, 2016, 04:24:25 PM »

crik

Me too! (English)
Me three! Canadian

I think it's just plain broken. I'm both American and someone who used it successfully in the past, and it's giving me the same error.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12672 on: March 06, 2016, 07:07:53 PM »

crik

Me too! (English)
Me three! Canadian

I think it's just plain broken. I'm both American and someone who used it successfully in the past, and it's giving me the same error.

I just used it and it nailed my (unaccented) NY/NJ dialect.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12673 on: March 06, 2016, 10:39:12 PM »

crik

Me too! (English)
Me three! Canadian

I just used it and it nailed my (unaccented) NY/NJ dialect.

I would think if anyone would break it, it would've been someone from my neck of the woods...where wicked smaht guys go ta Hahvahd.

Really thick Boston accents can be quite harsh, sometimes even a lifelong Bostonian (me) can barely understand what is being said.

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12674 on: March 07, 2016, 04:47:38 AM »
Just finished reading the whole lot, wow. Two stories from trainees I used to control.

Had 5 or 6 appies who were starting to push parade timings, then one was late, next day two were late and then they were all late. The police had set up radar on the hill coming down to base and all had been caught, despite being told it was going to be in the area. The next day all were early as none had a license and all caught the bus.
After the first one got done the rest knew but had other things on their minds. No one to blame but themselves.
This caused multiple problems as they were all mechanics and most were going out to civilian placements which got cancelled.
Reason for the speeding, couldn't organise to leave any earlier, but now can leave an hour earlier to get the bus. Most learnt that lesson.

A few years later, different location and now a bunch of adult trainees (still mechanics). All wanted to move off base (some sort of noisy planes) but needed good reasons to do so. One wanted to go defacto as he wanted a house and yard and if single would end up with a unit. He went through all the lectures and briefs with info of what could happen if it went wrong.
Ended up not happy with her uni choice etc and started having issues. It ended up with the Admino and padre, it was close but we saved him 20 odd years of maintenance etc that he was not even thinking about. Good mechanic but pers skills were lacking.

Most of the others just bought new shiny off road utes or muscle cars etc, easy in comparison.

My own kids were adults by this time so I had some knowledge of the possible issues but some things are above pay grade.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #12675 on: March 07, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »

crik

I'm from Shaler (but if you're only "near-ish" Pittsburgh, then North Hills is a bigger target for me to name), and I do not know what a grinny is.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12676 on: March 07, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »
Just finished reading the whole lot, wow. Two stories from trainees I used to control.

Had 5 or 6 appies who were starting to push parade timings, then one was late, next day two were late and then they were all late. The police had set up radar on the hill coming down to base and all had been caught, despite being told it was going to be in the area. The next day all were early as none had a license and all caught the bus.
After the first one got done the rest knew but had other things on their minds. No one to blame but themselves.
This caused multiple problems as they were all mechanics and most were going out to civilian placements which got cancelled.
Reason for the speeding, couldn't organise to leave any earlier, but now can leave an hour earlier to get the bus. Most learnt that lesson.

A few years later, different location and now a bunch of adult trainees (still mechanics). All wanted to move off base (some sort of noisy planes) but needed good reasons to do so. One wanted to go defacto as he wanted a house and yard and if single would end up with a unit. He went through all the lectures and briefs with info of what could happen if it went wrong.
Ended up not happy with her uni choice etc and started having issues. It ended up with the Admino and padre, it was close but we saved him 20 odd years of maintenance etc that he was not even thinking about. Good mechanic but pers skills were lacking.

Most of the others just bought new shiny off road utes or muscle cars etc, easy in comparison.

My own kids were adults by this time so I had some knowledge of the possible issues but some things are above pay grade.
I didn't understand much of this.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12677 on: March 07, 2016, 11:45:30 AM »

Me neither, but I read it a second time and I'm pretty sure I understand the first story now. The second one still baffles me.

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12678 on: March 07, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »

Me neither, but I read it a second time and I'm pretty sure I understand the first story now. The second one still baffles me.

Sorry, context more info, in Australia

1st gp, all red P platers, first of 3 steps to full license, all lived in same area and speeds were enough to lose them their licenses. Those who first lost their licenses got lifts with the others who then lost their licenses, all were booked in the same area in the one week. They then lost money from lost work opportunities as they couldn't drive for up to 6 months, no one wants a mechanic who can not drive. Several also delivered Pizza after hours, hard on a push bike.

2nd gp, main player was going to get his defacto pregnant and dump her, and did not realise the consequences, child support until end of education etc.
The others were just buying expensive vehicles, iPhones etc.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #12679 on: March 07, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »

1st gp, all red P platers, first of 3 steps to full license, all lived in same area and speeds were enough to lose them their licenses. Those who first lost their licenses got lifts with the others who then lost their licenses, all were booked in the same area in the one week. They then lost money from lost work opportunities as they couldn't drive for up to 6 months, no one wants a mechanic who can not drive. Several also delivered Pizza after hours, hard on a push bike.

2nd gp, main player was going to get his defacto pregnant and dump her, and did not realise the consequences, child support until end of education etc.
So defacto is Aussie slang for girlfriend? What was the "Admino and padre" part of that story?

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #12680 on: March 07, 2016, 01:57:41 PM »
I've explained how tax brackets work to people more times than I can count and it still doesn't sink in with some of them.

Two of my coworkers were talking about their daytrading exploits, and somehow they ended up talking about pulling money out of their 401(k)s to fund an etrade account!  They were justifying it because you'd come out ahead despite the taxes and increase in taxable income due to the company match.

Tax brackets must be confusing. I have explained them several times to my otherwise-intelligent husband and he just can't grasp and retain the concepts. He bases some of his political opinions and votes on his misunderstanding of tax brackets...most others must do this too. Scary!
I like to explain it as a bucket with several leaks. One 10% leak at the bottom. Another 5% leak (in addition to the 10% leak) slightly further up. Another 10% leak even higher than that and so forth. As you fill the bucket up with income first only the bottom leak leaks. Then the water level reaches the second leak and additional water poured in is subject to both leaks. If you keep filling it up you get to more and more leaks but never to a point that adding more water doesn't increase the level.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12681 on: March 07, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »

Tax brackets must be confusing. I have explained them several times to my otherwise-intelligent husband and he just can't grasp and retain the concepts. He bases some of his political opinions and votes on his misunderstanding of tax brackets...most others must do this too. Scary!
I like to explain it as a bucket with several leaks. One 10% leak at the bottom. Another 5% leak (in addition to the 10% leak) slightly further up. Another 10% leak even higher than that and so forth. As you fill the bucket up with income first only the bottom leak leaks. Then the water level reaches the second leak and additional water poured in is subject to both leaks. If you keep filling it up you get to more and more leaks but never to a point that adding more water doesn't increase the level.

Also a nice metaphor for the inevitability of taxes. ;-)

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12682 on: March 07, 2016, 03:30:11 PM »

Also a nice metaphor for the inevitability of taxes. ;-)

Except for my bucket doesn't leak, and hasn't for several years.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12683 on: March 07, 2016, 03:42:34 PM »

So defacto is Aussie slang for girlfriend? What was the "Admino and padre" part of that story?

Defacto is live in partner, so pretty much a married like scenario without the bit of paper. So if you are in a defacto relationship with someone and it goes wrong you can go through family court similar to if you were married.

I assume the OP is in the armed services with his talk of parade times? So Admino and Padre might be slang for for some sort of squadron leaders or administrators. Padre from memory is the Chaplain
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:45:18 PM by nnls »

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12684 on: March 07, 2016, 05:06:20 PM »

Defacto is live in partner, so pretty much a married like scenario without the bit of paper. So if you are in a defacto relationship with someone and it goes wrong you can go through family court similar to if you were married.

I assume the OP is in the armed services with his talk of parade times? So Admino and Padre might be slang for for some sort of squadron leaders or administrators. Padre from memory is the Chaplain

Oh good, it wasn't just me having a stroke.

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12685 on: March 07, 2016, 09:07:22 PM »

Yeah sorry, Admino is the unit admin officer (Air force)and Padre is the chaplain, both locations were military.

Don't do a lot of writing on line and when I do I forget the wider audience sometimes.
Will do better next time.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12686 on: March 07, 2016, 09:13:54 PM »

Yeah sorry, Admino is the unit admin officer (Air force)and Padre is the chaplain, both locations were military.

Don't do a lot of writing on line and when I do I forget the wider audience sometimes.
Will do better next time.

I am glad I got Padre right and admino for admin officer makes a lot of sense :)

Mattzlaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12687 on: March 08, 2016, 02:14:19 AM »
We just got bonuses at work that exceeded the previous bonuses by double. 16.3% of our salary.

There's one guy at work who had it spent THAT DAY on parts for his brand quad and used snow mobile. Other guys are spending it on new vehicles "once momma has her new car paid off I'm scrapping my 07 chevy and buying a new Denali"

I'll quietly tuck it away and invest in my future...FIRE is that much closer.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12688 on: March 08, 2016, 06:44:50 AM »

crik

Sadly I don't know what a grinny is.  I'm from the eastern edge of Appalachia in PA, but I wouldn't say I'm actually near Pittsburgh since it's a few hours from here.  I think we have a good mix of PA Dutch slang in there.

And to make this post on-topic:

A coworker whom I've written about before has gone further into consumerism craziness.  He found a girlfriend and moved her in quickly so she could help share the utility bills*.  They got more tv's when she moved in with her two kids.  Now, in addition to that, she told him that go kart racing is really fun and he should do it.  So he's bought a go kart (two actually) and is building a trailer for it.  He asked us if the company would sponsor him...I told him I'd pay him money to not race go karts.  He didn't take me up on the offer.  I think this girlfriend is now costing him much much more money than the bachelor life would have been.

*he pays no rent or water and chops wood for heat...so she was sharing the $100 electricity bill?  maybe the tv bill?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12689 on: March 08, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »

I loved it when southerners asked me to "Mash the switch"

Like I was going to get out a sledge hammer to turn on the lights.

Sorry to interfere with your mashing, but one mashes a button, not a switch, so unless you have very old-style two button lights, you're flipping those.

I pictured this:

That's a switch, seems like you could mash that.

If we are getting pedantic, buttons are usually subsets of switches.  I'm talking about the kind of button one would generally mash, not those on a shirt or a button nose.  There are probably some random exceptions like mechanical squeaker buttons

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #12690 on: March 08, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »

crik

Nailed It!

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12691 on: March 08, 2016, 05:19:01 PM »

crik

Nailed It!

I managed to break it.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12692 on: March 08, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »

crik

Sadly I don't know what a grinny is.  I'm from the eastern edge of Appalachia in PA, but I wouldn't say I'm actually near Pittsburgh since it's a few hours from here.  I think we have a good mix of PA Dutch slang in there.

And to make this post on-topic:

A coworker whom I've written about before has gone further into consumerism craziness.  He found a girlfriend and moved her in quickly so she could help share the utility bills*.  They got more tv's when she moved in with her two kids.  Now, in addition to that, she told him that go kart racing is really fun and he should do it.  So he's bought a go kart (two actually) and is building a trailer for it.  He asked us if the company would sponsor him...I told him I'd pay him money to not race go karts.  He didn't take me up on the offer.  I think this girlfriend is now costing him much much more money than the bachelor life would have been.

*he pays no rent or water and chops wood for heat...so she was sharing the $100 electricity bill?  maybe the tv bill?
A grinny is a chipmunk.  It's called that in like a 20 mile radius around me I think, both sides of the PA/OH border near the turnpike.  I grew up 40 miles north of here and had never heard the term until I moved down here.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12693 on: March 09, 2016, 06:53:40 AM »
Overheard at work: "Can you take the dollar signs out of that spreadsheet? I can't do math if there's money, I just don't understand money."

This person has advanced science training and is in charge of RUNNING A BUSINESS.

*screams*

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12694 on: March 09, 2016, 07:04:38 AM »
Overheard at work: "Can you take the dollar signs out of that spreadsheet? I can't do math if there's money, I just don't understand money."

This person has advanced science training and is in charge of RUNNING A BUSINESS.

*screams*
But...but....part of advanced science training is learning how to run a lab....which includes dealing with money.... *head explodes*

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #12695 on: March 09, 2016, 07:12:17 AM »

*screams*
I'm mostly annoyed that they don't know enough Excel to just remove their own damn dollar signs. =)

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12696 on: March 09, 2016, 07:56:18 AM »
I've got one.

CW1 walks into the office (we are in Boston, btw)
CW2: How did you get home to New Hampshire last night?
CW1: Uber *chuckles*
CW2: How much did that cost you?
CW1: $70!

Apparently a group of them went out drinking last night... not only does this guy commute daily from NH (at least an hour away), he stayed out to get drunk in the city and then spent $70 on someone to drive him home!

notactiveanymore

• Stubble
« Reply #12697 on: March 09, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »
Husband's coworker is just full of this stuff. She's a state receptionist making about 30k. Her husband makes around the same doing manual labor. She's in her late forties with one adult child that is married with her own kid (and her own basket full of money issues). She's requently on the (state) phone airing out her financial business to the office or crying about it at her desk later.

Couple months ago she was jazzed because she was going to get a new car. But then they didn't end up being able to do it. Turns out they were only going to be able to afford the car payments if they refinanced the house. But the house refinanced for $800 less than it needed to (or maybe they were $800 away from 80% equity? IDK). So no new car to match their recently purchased motorcycle. This is a car that she couldn't afford to replace the tires on a few months ago.

Yesterday she shared this:
CW: My brother and sister have never lived in TX or FL, but they use addresses from there with the IRS so they don't have to pay income taxes.

They live and work in Missouri. It's pretty clear she's lying, but the fact that she doesn't realize her lies are impossible is scary.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12698 on: March 09, 2016, 08:57:10 AM »
CW: My brother and sister have never lived in TX or FL, but they use addresses from there with the IRS so they don't have to pay income taxes.

They live and work in Missouri. It's pretty clear she's lying, but the fact that she doesn't realize her lies are impossible is scary.
Um, I don't think income taxes work the way she thinks they work.  The IRS doesn't care what state you live in (unless you deduct state income or sales tax).  TX and FL have zero *state* income tax, but that has nothing to do with the IRS...  Maybe she means that they tell their state Dept of Revenue that they live in TX?

notactiveanymore

• Stubble
« Reply #12699 on: March 09, 2016, 09:49:03 AM »

Um, I don't think income taxes work the way she thinks they work.  The IRS doesn't care what state you live in (unless you deduct state income or sales tax).  TX and FL have zero *state* income tax, but that has nothing to do with the IRS...  Maybe she means that they tell their state Dept of Revenue that they live in TX?

Yeah that's why I said she doesn't realize her lies are impossible. They don't even own properties in TX/FL, so the whole story is bonkers. The only thing even close to that is I've known some people in MO who use relative's addresses in IL to register their vehicles so that they don't have to pay personal property taxes her in MO. But no, wherever you earn your income is where you have to pay taxes on it. Just ridiculous.