Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252980 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #12450 on: February 18, 2016, 08:48:47 PM »
My in-laws do not cook. As in, they sold their stove and put a cabinet in instead.

I'm confused. If they don't cook, what did they need that extra cabinet space for?

Disposible plates and cups, plastic flatware, thousands of packets of powdered Parmesan, red chili flakes, ketchup and dressing.  Two shelves of just take out menus.  One pineapple.

They don't believe in cheese, so definitely not parmesan. But I think they use it to store books, actually.

Cheese is a figment of the liberal media and the dairy industry.  Prove me wrong!

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12451 on: February 18, 2016, 09:00:05 PM »
My in-laws do not cook. As in, they sold their stove and put a cabinet in instead.

I'm confused. If they don't cook, what did they need that extra cabinet space for?

Disposible plates and cups, plastic flatware, thousands of packets of powdered Parmesan, red chili flakes, ketchup and dressing.  Two shelves of just take out menus.  One pineapple.

They don't believe in cheese, so definitely not parmesan. But I think they use it to store books, actually.

Cheese is a figment of the liberal media and the dairy industry.  Prove me wrong!

They're from a climate where dairy cultivation isn't really possible (far too hot), and it isn't really part of the traditional diet. And like 90% of East Asians, they're lactose intolerant. My FIL says cheese smells like rotten milk (which is basically is; it's just controlled rotting), and I think that it may be something hard to adjust to if you didn't grow up eating it.

Mairuiming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12452 on: February 18, 2016, 09:57:01 PM »
Yesterday, I had a very interesting conversation with a "financial planner" in a local bank.

FP: Sir, as per xyz report only 20% people save adequate amount for retirement in India. I would like to help you manage your investments so that you can retire comfortably.
Me: Thank you for your concern. Tell me more about your services
FP: At what age would you like to retire ?
Me: 45 (I am 32 now)
FP: 45 years to retirement ?
Me: No, at age of 45
FP: No one can retire at 45. You have to keep working longer to retire. Let me tell you about our great financial product (commission was 6% of fund value per year)

I ran so hard towards the door, security guards thought I have robbed the bank.

PS: I went to bank to close a dormant account and was caught by bank appointed financial planner. Main objective of the bank is to sell high commission products to unsuspecting customers in the name of "expert advice".

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #12453 on: February 19, 2016, 12:09:53 AM »
Yesterday, I had a very interesting conversation with a "financial planner" in a local bank.

FP: Sir, as per xyz report only 20% people save adequate amount for retirement in India. I would like to help you manage your investments so that you can retire comfortably.
Me: Thank you for your concern. Tell me more about your services
FP: At what age would you like to retire ?
Me: 45 (I am 32 now)
FP: 45 years to retirement ?
Me: No, at age of 45
FP: No one can retire at 45. You have to keep working longer to retire. Let me tell you about our great financial product (commission was 6% of fund value per year)

PS: I went to bank to close a dormant account and was caught by bank appointed financial planner. Main objective of the bank is to sell high commission products to unsuspecting customers in the name of "expert advice".

That last line is awful. Really, no one can retire at 45? Not even people making high six figures? I can only hope that the "FP" has nightmares of you retiring and telling all of his clients.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12454 on: February 19, 2016, 02:04:50 AM »

Sounds like a post for the "Mustachian People Problems" thread.   
Especially if there was hassle from the guards.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12455 on: February 19, 2016, 06:55:16 AM »

This line is interest as according to this site the average household savings rate in India is 32%. Surely that means more than 20% are saving enough for retirement?

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12456 on: February 19, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »

Wow. Something almost everyone takes for granted, and deciding they don't need it?  Minimalizing their possessions?  Selling an unused item?

Sounds Mustachian to me!

;)

Ha. Except then you need to take into account that they eat every single meal out. Every. Single. Meal.

Which gets really tiring. When we were visiting I kept getting annoyed that you had to leave the house multiple times a day to get food.

In my road warrior days (living in a 1 bedroom apartment) I would have gladly traded the stove for a washer and dryer, in fact I even tried negotiating this with the leasing office.  I never cooked on the 4-6 days a month I was home as it was easier to just get take out and not let things spoil.  Luckily I lived in a large city where there were several stores/markets that catered to take out, so I could get pizza, steak, a salad, chicken, whatever I wanted they had it, cooked it, and was ready to go!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12457 on: February 19, 2016, 07:28:35 AM »

This line is interest as according to this site the average household savings rate in India is 32%. Surely that means more than 20% are saving enough for retirement?

The guy was selling investments with a 6% yearly commission.  Everything coming out of his mouth should be considered unreliable garbage.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12458 on: February 19, 2016, 07:43:26 AM »
thousands of packets of powdered Parmesan

I'm obviously going to the wrong places.  I've never seen packets of powdered "parm". 

I once brought deli-grated parm to keep in the work fridge.  People feel much more comfortable using that on their own lunches than they did going into my stash of rice cakes, peanut butter or oatmeal, so I didn't do that again.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12459 on: February 19, 2016, 08:00:28 AM »

The guy was selling investments with a 6% yearly commission.  Everything coming out of his mouth should be considered unreliable garbage.

Good point.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #12460 on: February 19, 2016, 08:55:56 AM »
Speaking of onions, is anyone else pissed off that recipes requiring caramelized onions seem to say it takes 10 - 20 minutes to caramelize onions?

I get that they are trying to not scare off people by listing long cook times, but be real. You're probably not caramelizing onions properly in under 40 minutes even cheating with flour. I do it for as long as I have time to occasionally stir and add water... an hour, an hour and a half, two hours, whatever. The longer the tastier.
Yeah, they really just mean brown them. I've heard the way to go is to put an entire bag worth of onions in the slow cooker overnight, then freeze the resulting carmelized onions.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #12461 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:34 AM »
I'm obviously going to the wrong places.  I've never seen packets of powdered "parm".
Powdered cellulose, more like. That shit is disgusting.

I once brought deli-grated parm to keep in the work fridge.  People feel much more comfortable using that on their own lunches than they did going into my stash of rice cakes, peanut butter or oatmeal, so I didn't do that again.

They probably thought of it is a condiment, and those are often fair game. I even label mine for breakroom sharing. Still kinda fucked up tho.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12462 on: February 19, 2016, 10:16:46 AM »
Speaking of onions, is anyone else pissed off that recipes requiring caramelized onions seem to say it takes 10 - 20 minutes to caramelize onions?

I get that they are trying to not scare off people by listing long cook times, but be real. You're probably not caramelizing onions properly in under 40 minutes even cheating with flour. I do it for as long as I have time to occasionally stir and add water... an hour, an hour and a half, two hours, whatever. The longer the tastier.
Yeah, they really just mean brown them. I've heard the way to go is to put an entire bag worth of onions in the slow cooker overnight, then freeze the resulting carmelized onions.

I use the oven! 10lb bag of onions through the food processor, into a large casserole dish (or 2...), drizzle with oil or butter, put into oven, stir every 20 minutes or so. This WILL make your kitchen smell like onions for a good 24 hours, but if you then freeze the resulting caramelized onions, that's a good few months of luxurious burger toppings, caramelized onion and goat cheese pizzas, etc... For about 3$ and 2 hours. :)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12463 on: February 19, 2016, 10:35:43 AM »

I use the oven! 10lb bag of onions through the food processor, into a large casserole dish (or 2...), drizzle with oil or butter, put into oven, stir every 20 minutes or so. This WILL make your kitchen smell like onions for a good 24 hours, but if you then freeze the resulting caramelized onions, that's a good few months of luxurious burger toppings, caramelized onion and goat cheese pizzas, etc... For about 3$ and 2 hours. :)

throw a bunch in the crockpot and freeze. 

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12464 on: February 19, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »

I don't think that's good for the crockpot.  Also very space inefficient.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12465 on: February 19, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »
1. cooking - pretty much open ended and if you follow the all recipes path and start cooking recipes you think you'll like while reading comments you will learn to improvise and learn to COOK

2. baking  - SET ingredients and measurements and cook times and rest times etc. to cook it correctly

I disagree, I've never understood why baking is considered different from cooking.  I use recipes as a general guideline, but I ultimately go by feel for both.  For instance, after doing bread or cookies a few times I know what the proper water content should be before putting them in the oven.  It's not always the specified amount.  I've also never been able to use baking times exactly.  Gotta go by look or toothpick.  If baking was an exact science then recipes would never change.  There'd only be one chocolate chip cookie recipe out there :-(  Baking as with cooking: experiment, wing it!

baking is chemistry its very simple.  there are multiple recipes b/c people like things different. 

i cant just decide to add extra flour or water to something without it ruining a chemical reaction.  if i want a brothier soup i can add more liquid and still end up with soup.

Baking is one specific type of cooking, a subset of the cooking universe, not different from cooking.  Baking is cooking using hot air, i.e., in an oven.  You bake a cake, you don't bake soup.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12466 on: February 19, 2016, 04:50:39 PM »

Most meats need a quick sear to seal the flavour  in activate the Maillard reaction before cooking. Lean meats (turkey) need oil (butter, bacon) on them to prevent drying out. Stuff stuck into meat (garlic cloves) will mush-ify to add flavour as the meat cooks.

Mairuiming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12467 on: February 19, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »

Yes, household saving rate is quite high in India.
However, savings are split for 3 generations.

a) Most people in my generation (age 25-40) support parents in their retirement (my parents generations spend almost everything to raise kids, we are grateful for this)
b) Save for our retirement
c) Save for our child's college education, etc. (Indians feel that children should not make a career choice based on lack of funds. Aah, I will flip burgers because I cant afford college education. If child really wants to attend abc college, then parents will support these expenses, and we save for this.)

Saving for 3 generation at times results in insufficient savings for our retirement.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #12468 on: February 19, 2016, 05:36:09 PM »
1. cooking - pretty much open ended and if you follow the all recipes path and start cooking recipes you think you'll like while reading comments you will learn to improvise and learn to COOK

2. baking  - SET ingredients and measurements and cook times and rest times etc. to cook it correctly

I disagree, I've never understood why baking is considered different from cooking.  I use recipes as a general guideline, but I ultimately go by feel for both.  For instance, after doing bread or cookies a few times I know what the proper water content should be before putting them in the oven.  It's not always the specified amount.  I've also never been able to use baking times exactly.  Gotta go by look or toothpick.  If baking was an exact science then recipes would never change.  There'd only be one chocolate chip cookie recipe out there :-(  Baking as with cooking: experiment, wing it!

baking is chemistry its very simple.  there are multiple recipes b/c people like things different. 

i cant just decide to add extra flour or water to something without it ruining a chemical reaction.  if i want a brothier soup i can add more liquid and still end up with soup.

Ehh, baking is somewhere in the middle. You can futz with things slightly, but not completely. Like for chocolate chip cookies, you can add orange instead of vanilla (which is yummy, by the way). You can use more or less fat or change the kind of fat you use or even how you order the ingredients (will impact how crispy/soft and the size of the cookies). What you can't do, though, is change the ratio between liquid and solid.

I disagree.  I add a few tablespoons of extra flour to chocolate chip cookies.  It makes them less greasy, and softer.  I do agree on the orange extract instead of vanilla.  I've tried that one, too, and it's awesome. 

aFrugalFather

• Stubble
    • Life/Finance Blog
« Reply #12469 on: February 19, 2016, 05:45:39 PM »
I agree with the oft cited phrase that cooking is an art and baking is a science. 

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12470 on: February 19, 2016, 06:13:29 PM »

Most meats need a quick sear to seal the flavour  in activate the Maillard reaction before cooking. Lean meats (turkey) need oil (butter, bacon) on them to prevent drying out. Stuff stuck into meat (garlic cloves) will mush-ify to add flavour as the meat cooks.

You can also sear AFTER stewing, which has its advantages.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/the-food-lab-reverse-sear-beef-tenderloin-filet-mignon.html

Also, now I want a really good steak.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #12471 on: February 20, 2016, 05:42:42 AM »

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/the-food-lab-reverse-sear-beef-tenderloin-filet-mignon.html

one of the best steaks I ever had was one I smoked and then seared.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12472 on: February 20, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »

one of the best steaks I ever had was one I smoked and then seared.

I am really tempted to go to the fancy butcher and splurge on a Chateubriand and do it for dinner this week, but Mr. Tooth likes his meat well done (ewwwww), so forget it.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #12473 on: February 20, 2016, 10:10:51 AM »

I don't think that's good for the crockpot.  Also very space inefficient.

I flew by this first. That's funny.

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #12474 on: February 21, 2016, 01:08:30 AM »
A few months ago,I told coworker about passive investing and Bogleheads because he was always complaining that he lost money on his latest speculation. He seemed super excited and told me that he was switching to buying VFIFX (Vanguard target 2050). I met him recently and asked how he was doing - he sold all the stock in his brokerage as well as his 401k because the market was down.... :facepalm:

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12475 on: February 21, 2016, 06:59:37 AM »
A few months ago,I told coworker about passive investing and Bogleheads because he was always complaining that he lost money on his latest speculation. He seemed super excited and told me that he was switching to buying VFIFX (Vanguard target 2050). I met him recently and asked how he was doing - he sold all the stock in his brokerage as well as his 401k because the market was down.... :facepalm:

I sold everything in my 401k a few weeks ago, too.

Course I am rolling it over into an IRA, so there's that :)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #12476 on: February 21, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »

Well he was consistent...VFIFX is 90% stocks so it's been doing poorly recently.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #12477 on: February 22, 2016, 01:07:56 AM »

Baking is one specific type of cooking, a subset of the cooking universe, not different from cooking.  Baking is cooking using hot air, i.e., in an oven.  You bake a cake, you don't bake soup.

Semantics, but, I'd argue that roasting is the potentially better generic phrase for the basic subset of using dry air to heat.

While baking is also defined pretty much the same way, I think the deliniating factor is what you're preparing.  Food with fatty exteriers and a more solid structure, and cooked uncovered, is roasted.  While food that starts out with a non solid structure (may or may not be covered) is baked.  Hence the common use for "baking" as the specific term used for ... For lack of a better word, "baked goods."

Again, semantics, but an interesting distinction non the less.  Now if you put a soup in a Dutch oven into the oven would that be baking?  Probably not because the structure never solifies, but some questions just can't be answered.  ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12478 on: February 22, 2016, 01:16:19 AM »

Semantics, but, I'd argue that roasting is the potentially better generic phrase for the basic subset of using dry air to heat.

While baking is also defined pretty much the same way, I think the deliniating factor is what you're preparing.  Food with fatty exteriers and a more solid structure, and cooked uncovered, is roasted.  While food that starts out with a non solid structure (may or may not be covered) is baked.  Hence the common use for "baking" as the specific term used for ... For lack of a better word, "baked goods."

Again, semantics, but an interesting distinction non the less.  Now if you put a soup in a Dutch oven into the oven would that be baking?  Probably not because the structure never solifies, but some questions just can't be answered.  ;)

What about baked ziti?

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #12479 on: February 22, 2016, 01:19:28 AM »

What about baked ziti?

Roas-bak-ing?

Haha, I usually consider casseroles baking.  I generally reserve roasting to base ingredients like meat or veggies that are mostly whole.  But this is a slippery slope...

hpb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12480 on: February 22, 2016, 09:52:12 AM »
Kid over his head in debt just got a new BMW.  Everyone was congratulating him.  Another guy told us this gem -

"i needed new brakes, so I just bought a new car instead.  I just needed the excuse"

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #12481 on: February 22, 2016, 10:21:01 AM »
Ooh. Speaking of unmustachian co-worker car purchases. There's a couple at work whom I thought might be secretly Mustachian. Whelp, nope. They used to drive a sub-compact car to work. Carpooled with them in their brand-new Ram 2500 to a work celebration. Along the way, they explained that they bought the truck because "my brother was visiting and was using our van for his family. I had to put the three kids in the car, and that wasn't working." So, because the brother was 'visiting' and they couldn't fit their family of 5 in the sub-compact, they BOUGHT A BRAND NEW "Big Horn" truck (starting MSRP $41k). Oh, and they're planning on buying something that they would need to haul with the truck soon, too, so it made sense. o_O

So now, they are going to commute (have no idea how long their commute is) in a GIANT truck, and now they have that truck AND a minivan.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12482 on: February 22, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
Kid over his head in debt just got a new BMW.  Everyone was congratulating him.  Another guy told us this gem -

"i needed new brakes, so I just bought a new car instead.  I just needed the excuse"
I won't lie, I think of that line every week. But every unnecessary purchase delays my retirement (which will be the day my last-born goes to college or is kicked out of the Jinga Nation roost). That will be Aug 2032.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #12483 on: February 22, 2016, 03:01:20 PM »

Ha ha. How stupid.

Well, I'm hungry and ran out of baby carrots. I'm going to go buy a grocery store...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #12484 on: February 22, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »

Ha ha. How stupid.

Well, I'm hungry and ran out of baby carrots. I'm going to go buy a grocery store...
That at least might produce a positive ROI :P

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12485 on: February 22, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »

Entire careers of salesmen have been based upon this excuse for generations.

EDIT:  My wife's van has been needing a new set of brake pads for a couple weeks.  Today, I broke down and made an appointment at the repair shop; mostly because I hate replacing brake pads.  I guess I needed an excuse as well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:27:42 PM by MoonShadow »

coolistdude

• Stubble
« Reply #12486 on: February 22, 2016, 08:57:41 PM »

Ha ha. How stupid.

When these people experience positive ROI, I think it is accidental luck. When I want luxury, I carpool to work.

Didn't really overhear this one from work, more like I observed it from the parking lot. The president at my company is on their 3rd brand new car in the past 1.5 years. All new Subarus or Hondas, so better than Mercedes, but still! Maybe a condition of working is that they experience the new car smell at all times.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #12487 on: February 22, 2016, 09:00:13 PM »
And here I just wasted $15 on a state inspection sticker. I could have applied that $15 to buying a new car.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12488 on: February 22, 2016, 09:10:52 PM »

Ha ha. How stupid.

When these people experience positive ROI, I think it is accidental luck. When I want luxury, I carpool to work.

Didn't really overhear this one from work, more like I observed it from the parking lot. The president at my company is on their 3rd brand new car in the past 1.5 years. All new Subarus or Hondas, so better than Mercedes, but still! Maybe a condition of working is that they experience the new car smell at all times.

I worked with a guy who had 7 new cars or bikes in a 12 month period. Eventually his wife made him stop.

coolistdude

• Stubble
« Reply #12489 on: February 22, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »

Ha ha. How stupid.

I worked with a guy who had 7 new cars or bikes in a 12 month period. Eventually his wife made him stop.

Was he going through midlife crisis?

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12490 on: February 22, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »

Ha ha. How stupid.

Was he going through midlife crisis?

No, he just used to tell me he would get bored on his days off work and see "good value" cars and feel the need to buy them. They weren't always brand new, but usually less than 3 years old.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12491 on: February 22, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »
And here I just wasted $15 on a state inspection sticker. I could have applied that $15 to buying a new car.

Remember not to make the same mistake next year!  ;-)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12492 on: February 23, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »

My cellphone has been having problems and I was just about to go to T-Mobile to have them look at it and possibly buy a new phone. A salesmen overheard me and asking to look at it (he's good with tech) and fixed the problem. I thanked him for saving me the trip, but secretly I really want a new phone. I'm not going to buy one as so long as my phone works it gets the job done.

This is facepunch worthy, although in my defense I do nearly all my sales calls on it and text products to different customers and makers, and would have gotten work to pay for it.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12493 on: February 23, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »

My cellphone has been having problems and I was just about to go to T-Mobile to have them look at it and possibly buy a new phone. A salesmen overheard me and asking to look at it (he's good with tech) and fixed the problem. I thanked him for saving me the trip, but secretly I really want a new phone. I'm not going to buy one as so long as my phone works it gets the job done.

This is facepunch worthy, although in my defense I do nearly all my sales calls on it and text products to different customers and makers, and would have gotten work to pay for it.
One person I used to work with would routinely upgrade her car when she went took it in for car maintenance.    I also know people who purposely get 27 month leases so they don't have to deal with any car maintenance.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12494 on: February 23, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »

One person I used to work with would routinely upgrade her car when she went took it in for car maintenance.    I also know people who purposely get 27 month leases so they don't have to deal with any car maintenance.

I've head colleagues mock me for not leasing because 'I'll have to deal with repairs'.

My car is almost 5 years old. It has never needed ANY repairs. The occasional inspection and oil change, that's it.

Suuuuuuuckers....

BeFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12495 on: February 23, 2016, 12:27:27 PM »
Not "overheard", but "saw" at work, but this is my favorite.

On nice days, I'll spend my lunch sitting in my car (not idling of course, windows open) - reading, people watching, etc. One day I saw two people return from their lunch, walk halfway back to the building, at which point the one woman noticed an open parking spot closer to the building, so she walked back to her car to move it to the closer parking spot. OMG ;-) Never mind that she had already walked the difference between the two parking spots, so she wasn't even saving any walking (not that that's an excuse anyway). This was several years ago, but I still laugh about it...

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12496 on: February 23, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Not "overheard", but "saw" at work, but this is my favorite.

On nice days, I'll spend my lunch sitting in my car (not idling of course, windows open) - reading, people watching, etc. One day I saw two people return from their lunch, walk halfway back to the building, at which point the one woman noticed an open parking spot closer to the building, so she walked back to her car to move it to the closer parking spot. OMG ;-) Never mind that she had already walked the difference between the two parking spots, so she wasn't even saving any walking (not that that's an excuse anyway). This was several years ago, but I still laugh about it...

At Ginormocorp the old-timers of 25 years or more get a reserved parking space in the front lot closest to the building; in fact most of that lot is reserved.  When one of them goes on vacation or is going to be out for the day, there are almost literal fights to get to the person and ask if they can use the space.  One of the favored raffle around here prizes is use of a reserved space.  I don't walk fast at all, but even my turtle ass can make it from the far end of the back parking lot to the building in three minutes. 

BeFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12497 on: February 23, 2016, 01:15:48 PM »
One of the favored raffle around here prizes is use of a reserved space.  I don't walk fast at all, but even my turtle ass can make it from the far end of the back parking lot to the building in three minutes.

Same at my company (that's a raffle I don't care to win). I'm all about automatic exercise to add to my day, so I always park at the back of my lot.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12498 on: February 23, 2016, 01:21:47 PM »
Same at my company (that's a raffle I don't care to win). I'm all about automatic exercise to add to my day, so I always park at the back of my lot.

But if you won it you could probably sell the parking rights to someone else in the office for $20 ;-)

coolistdude

• Stubble
« Reply #12499 on: February 23, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »

But if you won it you could probably sell the parking rights to someone else in the office for $20 ;-)

Would they frown on it if you auctioned the parking right? You might get more than $20.