Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252969 times)

DKitty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #11950 on: January 26, 2016, 05:03:36 AM »
People are talking about the lottery at work, one woman has just admitted that she has £42 a month direct debit to all the various lotteries because 'you only need your numbers to come up once'. Nobody seems to think this amount of money every month is crazy...

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #11951 on: January 26, 2016, 06:03:36 AM »
i just found out everyone in one department here doesn't pay speeding tickets. so now, they have warrants out for their arrest and the "winner" (one with the most warrants at 21!) owes $11,000 to get her license back. well, after she will be taken to jail the instant she gets pulled over again since she's without a license and technically a fugitive.

really makes me feel better about my life choices.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #11952 on: January 26, 2016, 06:23:29 AM »
i just found out everyone in one department here doesn't pay speeding tickets. so now, they have warrants out for their arrest and the "winner" (one with the most warrants at 21!) owes $11,000 to get her license back. well, after she will be taken to jail the instant she gets pulled over again since she's without a license and technically a fugitive.

Is this a policy for that department?  "If you're going to work in sales/admin/engineering/hotheads&hotrods, you must speed and not pay the tickets!"  Some sort of bizarre coincidence?  If the police are offering a reward, this might tip you a little further toward FIRE...

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11953 on: January 26, 2016, 06:34:11 AM »

Is this a policy for that department?  "If you're going to work in sales/admin/engineering/hotheads&hotrods, you must speed and not pay the tickets!"  Some sort of bizarre coincidence?  If the police are offering a reward, this might tip you a little further toward FIRE...

That's the first thing I thought. "Hey, 5 people in my department owe tickets and have warrants, is there a finder's fee?"

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11954 on: January 26, 2016, 06:44:40 AM »
Reminds me of the story when my parents were coming back from Greece on Vacation, and my Dad had packed a pound or so of dried Greek Oregano to bring home, and also bought a plastic gun for my brother as a gift. When they got to Heathrow and through customs, the officer opened his luggage and pulled out a giant bag of -green stuff- with one hand, and the black plastic gun in the other, with a look of disbelief on his face. But it was resolved rather quickly.

Hahahahaha . . . cool that it was resolved quickly and without a full cavity search.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #11955 on: January 26, 2016, 07:45:26 AM »

That's the first thing I thought. "Hey, 5 people in my department owe tickets and have warrants, is there a finder's fee?"

Yeah, but imagine the workload when you find yourself the only person left in your department. Sort of a bizarre spin on the fear of being the only one left by not buying into the eventual winning Powerball pool.

Not to mention the stress of feigning innocence when they all start speculating on who ratted them out ;-)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11956 on: January 26, 2016, 08:03:45 AM »
Overheard my boss yesterday, talking about the financial markets turmoil last week. "I'll have to retire at 75 instead of 65, my 401k dropped by half".
I'm hoping he was joking, since the markets didn't tank THAT much. Or maybe he's using a bad mix of mutual funds (we have mainly Vanguard). I know he brings lunch everyday, is very thrifty and has a modest house. Maybe he was joking to make the govt. employee in our office feel better (boss and I are DoD contractors).
Most of my co-workers were freaking out last week, while one engineer and myself were rubbing hands in glee, saying "stocks are on sale, buy, buy. buy, dollar cost averaging". Got paid Friday, so there you go.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11957 on: January 26, 2016, 08:19:23 AM »
Most of my co-workers were freaking out last week, while one engineer and myself were rubbing hands in glee, saying "stocks are on sale, buy, buy. buy, dollar cost averaging". Got paid Friday, so there you go.
hm.... I would wait I think. Stocks will fall down more this or latest next year, the crash is already overdue and ship transport prices (earliest and quite reliable indicator for world wide economy) have just fallen to their lowest since 1983(?) when they started measuring.
China is running out of steam and the oil price - if it continues - will put Russia in recession.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11958 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:40 AM »
one engineer and myself were rubbing hands in glee, saying "stocks are on sale, buy, buy. buy, dollar cost averaging". Got paid Friday, so there you go.

Yeah my only regret is that I don't have cash to pour in right now. I did dump a bunch of money in when the market went down back in July/August.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11959 on: January 26, 2016, 08:31:26 AM »
one engineer and myself were rubbing hands in glee, saying "stocks are on sale, buy, buy. buy, dollar cost averaging". Got paid Friday, so there you go.

Yeah my only regret is that I don't have cash to pour in right now. I did dump a bunch of money in when the market went down back in July/August.

My HSA transfer happened at the beginning of last week and the excess was invested the day after the most recent low. Accidental market timing I suppose. That almost evens out the opposite that happened last year when the old 401k was rolled over and the market went up in between.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11960 on: January 26, 2016, 08:57:53 AM »

Yeah, but imagine the workload when you find yourself the only person left in your department. Sort of a bizarre spin on the fear of being the only one left by not buying into the eventual winning Powerball pool.

Not to mention the stress of feigning innocence when they all start speculating on who ratted them out ;-)
stevie didn't say it was their department...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:19:48 AM by maco »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11961 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
hm.... I would wait I think. Stocks will fall down more this or latest next year, the crash is already overdue and ship transport prices (earliest and quite reliable indicator for world wide economy) have just fallen to their lowest since 1983(?) when they started measuring.
China is running out of steam and the oil price - if it continues - will put Russia in recession.

let me know where you got your crystal ball ... i want one!

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #11962 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:58 AM »

THIS

my colleagues (portfolio managers etc) are forecasting a 1-2 yr period of low markets, low economy etc until things look up.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #11963 on: January 26, 2016, 10:55:57 AM »

THIS

my colleagues (portfolio managers etc) are forecasting a 1-2 yr period of low markets, low economy etc until things look up.

Unless they are all shorting the market, I'm not sure I'm terribly convinced.  Everyone has a prediction, no one knows the answer, and I thought that we generally didn't think well of market timing around here.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #11964 on: January 26, 2016, 11:16:13 AM »

THIS

So why are these guy still your colleagues (and not retired, filthy rich) if they can accurately predict the market?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11965 on: January 26, 2016, 11:30:15 AM »

THIS

So why are these guy still your colleagues (and not retired, filthy rich) if they can accurately predict the market?

LOL! That's generally what I think whenever someone tells me what is going to happen.

Reminds me of a line I heard, "If you had not smoked for the past 10 years you could own a BMW." "hen where's your BMW?" "I don't have one." "That's what I thought, SHUT UP!"

At my showroom in Chicago, there's a salesmen that I talk to, the man is over 65 years old and busting his ass. He constantly tells me how to invest and in my head I'm thinking, 'I'll listen to you if I want to be 65 years old and still driving all over the country to try to make a buck.' Of course, he blames Obama for his economic situation, so it makes it easier to simply ignore him.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #11966 on: January 26, 2016, 11:33:43 AM »

THIS

Apparently they are not mini-MMMs :)

Then again... it's not hard to predict a general development of economy/market if you have plenty of information and experience.
It's different with predicting exact share prices, where the DAX/NYSE will be on April 10th...

mcampbell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11967 on: January 26, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »
Coworker was telling me about his wedding, "So the wedding got up to $60k, luckily the wife's family is covering the dress so I didn't have to cover that. Around $50k I started to tell everywhere we need to slow things down, I'm going to have to dip into savings. Then proceeds to tell me how he saved $300 on removing one of the flower options on the ends of aisles." This is all for 120 people in upstate new york ...

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #11968 on: January 26, 2016, 11:37:08 AM »
Coworker was telling me about his wedding, "So the wedding got up to $60k, luckily the wife's family is covering the dress so I didn't have to cover that. Around $50k I started to tell everywhere we need to slow things down, I'm going to have to dip into savings. Then proceeds to tell me how he saved $300 on removing one of the flower options on the ends of aisles." This is all for 120 people in upstate new york ...

OMFG

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11969 on: January 26, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »

Weddings are crazy! It's insane how much things add up, a good friend of mine is getting married at the end of August and he's starting to mentally freak out. Him and his fiance usually go out at least once a week, but have said that they are trying to stay in more and eat in to save up money.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11970 on: January 26, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »

OK, you stay in cash and I'll continue maxing out my 401k.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11971 on: January 26, 2016, 12:28:50 PM »

OK, you stay in cash and I'll continue maxing out my 401k.

I hope you are right  I get a 14% increase in pay Feb 1.  That will be buying stocks... yippee dollar cost average getting better.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11972 on: January 26, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »

THIS

Since you live in Toronto, I assume you're talking about the Canadian economy? I agree things are looking pretty grim there right now.

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11973 on: January 26, 2016, 12:58:55 PM »
Our kids' school just changed boundaries. They changed the boundaries because they are putting in a new school. The parents' Facebook page has people trying to buy houses in the school's redefined boundaries. When the first family posted that they found a new place I laughed it off, but now there are about a half dozen families selling their houses and looking for a place in the original school's boundary so their kids won't lose their friends.

A bunch of renters have already notified their LLs that they are leaving and are watching for new places. They are banding together to find a building that all their families can move into at once.

One family is offering to sell their address to use on address transfer forms, and forward any mail so other families don't have to move.

Now a real estate agent has gotten in on the act as a specialist for relocating families into the school's catchment area.

Yeah its a good school - but come on... This is all a little ridiculous.

Isn't it possible to send kids to school outside the boundaries your house falls into, though? I knew kids in high school who went to my school despite living on the other side of the city just because their parents wanted them to. Wouldn't "My kids have spent years going to this school already" be considered an even better reason? I'm not a parent so don't know how that stuff works exactly, but it just seems crazy to me that it would actually be required to move houses just because the schools changed their boundaries in the middle of a student's school career.

Yes and no. It is a specialty curriculum (French Immersion) which is oversubscribed. The school was built for 900 students and currently holds 1200. In elementary grades.  So the new school is being built. Since the school is dangerously over filled, they are being pretty ruthless in defining who can attend it. The school already has more portables than the zoning bylaw allows, and the parking lot is utter mayhem most mornings.

At the same time as all the parents are griping about having to move, another group is complaining about not enough gym/library/computer/lab time, and that teams are impossible to get on since even house league sports can't be made big enough to fit the number of students who want to play.

Half are grousing about having to go, and half are grousing about it being overcrowded. Glad I'm not a school board trustee.
You are

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11974 on: January 26, 2016, 12:59:48 PM »

So this dude can pay $50k for a wedding out of current income, and only needed to dip into savings for the extra $10k?  Honestly I wouldn't worry about him

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11975 on: January 26, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
How many people here have read The Audacity of Hope (by Barack Obama)? I don't find myself completely politically aligned with him, but his first chapter (which is all of what I have read so far) is an outstanding view on the political system. I liked it.
I don't read anything by homosexual atheist Muslims who spend 25 hours a day trying to destroy America and putting their grubby socialist hands all over my Medicare. (only a slight exaggeration of typical parlance here)

I actually think I might find that interesting.

Atheist Muslim --  that's an oxymoron...or just not possible... like "giant midget" or whatnot.

I will assume you are being funny in "vernacular" voice?

But at least you are okay with the idea of 25 hour days...

lol, I know it's the internet but I do believe the sentence was a heavy dose of sarcasm.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11976 on: January 26, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »
How many people here have read The Audacity of Hope (by Barack Obama)? I don't find myself completely politically aligned with him, but his first chapter (which is all of what I have read so far) is an outstanding view on the political system. I liked it.
I don't read anything by homosexual atheist Muslims who spend 25 hours a day trying to destroy America and putting their grubby socialist hands all over my Medicare. (only a slight exaggeration of typical parlance here)

Atheist Muslim --  that's an oxymoron...or just not possible... like "giant midget" or whatnot.

lol, I know it's the internet but I do believe the sentence was a heavy dose of sarcasm.

I'm just wondering what the scare-quotes around vernacular were supposed to mean.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #11977 on: January 27, 2016, 06:24:35 AM »

not my department, but not sure I want that many criminals getting in trouble at the same time. They would know it was me and are already OK with breaking laws. seems like a dangerous combo.

haha they are all pretty nice, and actually it came up in a convo about another terrible with money ex co worker who we're pretty sure has turned to prostitution to pay her bills (after bragging she only paid 20% interest on a 40k car). good times!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11978 on: January 27, 2016, 07:55:50 AM »

not my department, but not sure I want that many criminals getting in trouble at the same time. They would know it was me and are already OK with breaking laws. seems like a dangerous combo.

haha they are all pretty nice, and actually it came up in a convo about another terrible with money ex co worker who we're pretty sure has turned to prostitution to pay her bills (after bragging she only paid 20% interest on a 40k car). good times!

Speeding tickets are given out to reduce harm to others.  When you speed, it increases the chance that someone will die.  Not paying your speeding ticket (and indeed amassing a large number of them) shows that you are recklessly endangering others.  My take is that reporting them to the police is the morally correct thing to do.  If it comes with a reward, so much the better.    :P

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11979 on: January 27, 2016, 08:01:42 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11980 on: January 27, 2016, 08:17:35 AM »
Speeding tickets are given out to reduce harm to others.

No, speeding tickets are largely given out to make money for local municipalities.  Statistically, pretty much everyone speeds, largely because limits are set too low on purpose to drive speeding ticket revenue. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11981 on: January 27, 2016, 08:32:22 AM »

No, speeding tickets are largely given out to make money for local municipalities.  Statistically, pretty much everyone speeds, largely because limits are set too low on purpose to drive speeding ticket revenue.

[action]Bites tongue. Hard.[/action]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpZRxo3EWAc

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt/ref_mats/fhwasa12004/

http://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/

argonaut_astronaut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11982 on: January 27, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »

Source?

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11983 on: January 27, 2016, 08:54:46 AM »

I'm just wondering what the scare-quotes around vernacular were supposed to mean.

Just guessing, but I took it to mean Thick Southern Redneck Accent.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11984 on: January 27, 2016, 08:56:42 AM »

Source?

See right above you.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11985 on: January 27, 2016, 09:06:22 AM »

[action]Bites tongue. Hard.[/action]

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt/ref_mats/fhwasa12004/

http://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/

You are quoting a blogger over federally sponsored FWHA research and NZ research. You should buy his book - "Everything is Bullshit", also check out his article on the invention of Pad Thai! There's a source worth quoting!

But he did get a few things right! 85th percentile speeds are set at the speed most drivers are already driving, reducing variability in the traffic stream and therefore reducing severity of collisions. Excellent work Alex Mayyasi - you researched that bit well!

FWIW, most 85th percentile speeds correspond nicely with the design speed of the roads they are on. In other words, drivers are pretty good at driving in a safe speed band for the road. And most police will allow some forgiveness in the speed band, aiming to hold the outliers' speeds down rather than ticket the masses.

The problem is, speed limits are not usually set at the 85 percentile limits, but at something lower.  So if you agree with the 85 percentile methodology, you agree with me.   

The BS statement about speed limits being set in order to increase revenues is laughable. But I'm sure that as you clip a bike as you fly by, you'll be safe, and its that SOB's problem you couldn't swerve fast enough, right? I mean its not like sightlines through curves or crests are calculated into the roadway design - and its not like the reaction time has anything to do with how fast you are driving.

You can win this argument, go home and pat yourself on the back. But be ready for 2 things. One - for your stash to be cleaned out in a legal settlement after you hit said cyclist, and two, for the guy who ploughs into you using your same logic that his speed is more important than your life.

You will not see any further replies from me on the topic. Quit reading blogs, and start reading science and engineering reports.

Here be strawmen.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11986 on: January 27, 2016, 12:06:52 PM »
Speed limit discussion probably depends on exactly where you live.  There are certainly some small towns well know for deriving immense revenue from speed traps.  But I think those are the minority.  Most towns with real economic engines don't give a crap as long as everyone is driving safely.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11987 on: January 27, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
I don't support the blatant oversimplification that ALL speed limits are set too low because of revenue, but
...aside from using a borderline insulting scare tactic, is virtually unrelated to the issue at hand, which is whether current speed limits are appropriate in any given location(s). I've ready plenty of research that does indicate at least some are too low, and that the fixation on speed hinders regulation of other behaviors that can be more dangerous. For example, disparity in speed is known to cause more problems than speed itself in many settings, yet you can put your 4-ways on and create a slow-moving trainwreck of near-disaster on the interstate without interference unless you get below about 50% of the maximum speed. Why do we excuse that when going 5-10 over means a ticket and insurance points? It's demonstrably more dangerous.

Further, on the above video: nobody should be going 65mph in a place where there's any chance of a truck pulling out from behind a blind corner a short distance ahead, which is why we don't have 65mph limits everywhere, but there are places where it is in fact entirely safe and responsible to go 65 or even faster... generally on wide, straight roads without blind corners or even intersections.

I say this as a hypermiler who doesn't even drive the speed limit half the time: it's not as simple as any of you want to make it. With as many miles of road in the world and as many jurisdictions as there are, some are done right and some have really fucked-up priorities. I don't advocate for higher or lower limits, I just support rational judgments in every situation.

Small towns in particular are notorious for making revenue centers of minor moving infractions that may or may not be dangerous at all, sometimes accompanied by rapid drops from highway speed to "city" speed well outside pedestrian/commercial zones. Some cities have even shortened the duration of yellow lights to increase red-light infractions, knowing that it raises collision risk.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11988 on: January 27, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
I don't support the blatant oversimplification that ALL speed limits are set too low because of revenue, but

Correct, let me amend my earlier statement to apply to 1) interstates and 2) 2-lane highways.  Your average residential or suburban/urban street is likely set pretty close to 85th percentile and traffic'd accordingly.   

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11989 on: January 27, 2016, 02:34:10 PM »
Gosh dang, I heard of this amazing way to make sure that goddamn socialist gubmint don't take none of your money with them revenue-producing speed cameras... Drive within the clearly advertised speed limit. To break the clearly signposted law and then complain about the well-known sanction being applied is just plain stupid.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11990 on: January 27, 2016, 02:41:22 PM »
Gosh dang, I heard of this amazing way to make sure that goddamn socialist gubmint don't take none of your money with them revenue-producing speed cameras... Drive within the clearly advertised speed limit. To break the clearly signposted law and then complain about the well-known sanction being applied is just plain stupid.

Is it?  I'd argue blind adherence to laws as if they were sacrosanct is more stupid (and we rarely have speed cameras in the US). 

Of course, disagreement about the supremeness of laws is likely why I'm on this side of the pond and you're on that one ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11991 on: January 27, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »
Gosh dang, I heard of this amazing way to make sure that goddamn socialist gubmint don't take none of your money with them revenue-producing speed cameras... Drive within the clearly advertised speed limit.

I try to do so, and I've found that it really doesn't cost you all that much additional time. In addition to avoiding the po-po, it lowers your gasoline consumption, increases road safety, and also makes the drive a little more enjoyable. Rather than trying to get to my destination a minute or so sooner, I'll let my car go on cruise control.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11992 on: January 27, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »
Way to miss the entire @#$%^&* point about good governance and the differing rationales for achieving it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11993 on: January 27, 2016, 03:00:07 PM »
Gosh dang, I heard of this amazing way to make sure that goddamn socialist gubmint don't take none of your money with them revenue-producing speed cameras... Drive within the clearly advertised speed limit.

I try to do so, and I've found that it really doesn't cost you all that much additional time. In addition to avoiding the po-po, it lowers your gasoline consumption, increases road safety, and also makes the drive a little more enjoyable. Rather than trying to get to my destination a minute or so sooner, I'll let my car go on cruise control.

I find it physically uncomfortable to drive the speed limit on most Chicago-area highways.  On roads like I-90, it's downright dangerous to drive the limit of 55 or the current construction limit of 45, as the prevailing speed is about 70-75 (or, granted, 10 in rush hour).

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11994 on: January 27, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »

I find it physically uncomfortable to drive the speed limit on most Chicago-area highways.  On roads like I-90, it's downright dangerous to drive the limit of 55 or the current construction limit of 45, as the prevailing speed is about 70-75 (or, granted, 10 in rush hour).

Same for LSD, where the speed limit of 40mph, particularly on the north end, is like a minimum. I try to stick around 48, and I'm routinely passed--like, very quickly passed--by other drivers and taxis.

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11995 on: January 27, 2016, 03:51:54 PM »
We have AmeriCorps members at the nonprofit I work at, which is basically a domestic Peace Corps program that pays a stipend of $11k for a year of service. I've been working more closely with the AmeriCorps recently and apparently one of them, who I would guess is in her 50s, eats out for lunch every day and has a 2 hour round-trip commute. She also has whimsical manicures every week (complete with large jewels glued on her nails- like how do you even live your life with nails like that?), dramatic hair changes monthly and is rumored to be in the hole 100k for her PhD. And again, she's making $11k this year, though she teaches some online community college classes and sell Mary Kay on the side. So let's call it $25k gross max....it's just insane.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11996 on: January 27, 2016, 04:41:31 PM »

Same for LSD, where the speed limit of 40mph, particularly on the north end, is like a minimum. I try to stick around 48, and I'm routinely passed--like, very quickly passed--by other drivers and taxis.

I try to limit myself to 10 MPH when I'm on LSD, although I probably shouldn't be driving at all

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11997 on: January 27, 2016, 05:15:56 PM »
Of course, disagreement about the supremeness of laws is likely why I'm on this side of the pond and you're on that one ;)
One thing many British people find amusing about America is that you for you it's illegal to just cross the road wherever you feel like :-) I think it's also fair to say that in the UK our speed limits are generally set sensibly and enforced sensibly and you will only get fined if you were genuinely driving some way over the limit and the police can prove it - and even then you would normally need to be doing something potentially dangerous or to have ignored very visible/obvious signs that police or speed cameras were active.

But, as a regular visitor to the US, I agree with some of the comments here. There clearly are some places where speed limits are inappropriately low and/or are used by small town police to extract revenue from non-locals as they know that few people will turn up in court to contest the fine.

Anyway, how about a $100 000+ speeding ticket?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11998 on: January 27, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »
(and we rarely have speed cameras in the US). 

Visit the DC area. I know one road where there was a speed camera, but people learned to slow down right in front of it. So they added another one 50ft earlier. I think there's a 3rd on on that stretch of road, too, and it's only a half mile or so long.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11999 on: January 27, 2016, 06:37:24 PM »
One thing many British people find amusing about America is that you for you it's illegal to just cross the road wherever you feel like :-)

That's not true everywhere.  It's not even a named crime in my state.  All it says that a pedestrian shall not leave the curb to cross the street where that would create a hazard.  I'm sure some cities have citations against it.