Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253300 times)

smella

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #11600 on: December 31, 2015, 12:48:01 PM »
one of my colleagues, who supplements her fellowship & teaching income by taking on extra student loans:  "i got some cash for christmas from my family so i'm going to have one of my tattoos lasered off."

>_<

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #11601 on: December 31, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
Potato brand? Tell them you use the one with the red skin sometimes, and other times the one with the gold/brown skin. Maybe they'll understand about using the actual potato.

We took them shopping this past weekend, and actually bought a large bag of potatoes, along with a bunch of non-prepackaged food, but maybe they thought that we don't eat the same way?  Who knows, but I guess we will all figure it out, since they will need help getting settled in a new place.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #11602 on: January 01, 2016, 07:26:11 AM »
one of my colleagues, who supplements her fellowship & teaching income by taking on extra student loans:  "i got some cash for christmas from my family so i'm going to have one of my tattoos lasered off."

>_<
Nothing like spending a bunch of money to have your flesh mutilated, only to spend more money a few years later to have it (partially) restored... (I have nothing against tattoos in general, I just think many people do them without enough prior thought and end up regretting them)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:51:32 AM by nanu »

MisterTwoForty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11603 on: January 01, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »
Co-worker of mine just paid off her car.  She then had a furnace issue, so she mortgaged the car again to pay for the furnace and new windows.  We're in a well paid field, so not sure why she didnt have the cash (has a live in boyfriend who she shares the bills with).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11604 on: January 01, 2016, 11:22:52 PM »
one of my tattoos lasered off."

I've never understood the appeal of tattoos, but then again, I find them to be unattractive on people.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11605 on: January 02, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »
Graffiti for skin?

I can appreciate the artwork but I like to rotate the artwork occasionally so no tattoos for me or mine. ;) What's cool at 25 might not be cool to the same person when they are 50.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11606 on: January 02, 2016, 06:15:31 PM »
Graffiti for skin?

I can appreciate the artwork but I like to rotate the artwork occasionally so no tattoos for me or mine. ;) What's cool at 25 might not be cool to the same person when they are 50.

Especially as muscles shrink and skin sags...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11607 on: January 02, 2016, 11:20:53 PM »
I have an old military friend nearly 70 years old. His tattoos aren't even really legible anymore.

My favorite "saying" about tattoos is: scars are like tattoos with stories...

I have several scars from attending that school of Hard Knocks that people talk about. Mostly from being a clumsy kid and a daring young adult long before You Tube videos. ;)

(Daring: Wrongly believed I was immortal and physics didn't apply to me when I was younger.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:24:21 PM by Joe Average »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11608 on: January 03, 2016, 12:22:15 AM »
My favorite "saying" about tattoos is: scars are like tattoos with stories...

I liked that upon first hearing it, but thinking about it... don't most tattoos have stories?  Pretty much everyone I've met has a story about their tattoos...  :)

Maybe something like "scars are tattoos ____"?  You earn?  Hmm, will have to think about how to fill in that blank.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:23:48 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

syednaeemul

• Stubble
« Reply #11609 on: January 03, 2016, 03:53:18 AM »
Just for lulz, local truck pics.

Whoa, I didn't know mammoth hunting still exists.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11610 on: January 03, 2016, 08:52:22 AM »
but thinking about it... don't most tattoos have stories? 

Yes, unfortunately, mine starts with "I was young, stupid, drunk, and pissed off at my girlfriend....."

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11611 on: January 03, 2016, 09:05:17 AM »

Yes, unfortunately, mine starts with "I was young, stupid, drunk, and pissed off at my girlfriend....."

Haha.

I thought it was going to be "I was young, stupid, drunk, and thought I was in love....."

So it's clearly not the ex-girlfriend's name.  I'm curious what you get when you're pissed off at your SO.  :P
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11612 on: January 03, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »

I know guy that posted his sobriety date. Each time he thinks about drinking he says he thinks about how painful it will be get that date removed.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11613 on: January 03, 2016, 03:31:55 PM »
Arebelspy:  It's a pit bull on the back of my shoulder.  It's good work, but WTF??  I've never even wanted a pit bull.  I'm glad that it's on my back and I don't have to see it. 

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #11614 on: January 03, 2016, 10:18:56 PM »
I find the most curious argument against tattoos is that they will not look as good when you are wrinkly and saggy.  But guess what?  It's not the tattoo that makes you look old*.
They are permanent, though, so it is important to be sure it is something in line with your core self.  It helps to really know yourself.  My friend got a Carebear tattoo when she was 23.  Now, 15 years later ... she still loves it!!!  She knows herself and doesn't give a rat's patoot what other people think. She has maybe a dozen tattoos and none of them were inspired by a night of drinking.  None of my personal friends express regret of their tats.
Not that tattoos are for everyone.  I can barely buy a pair of pants without changing my mind later.

*although placement is important.  I heard of a friend of a friend got some sort of Celtic tattoo around her navel at age 19.  Then she started having kids 3 years later.  I don't know what it ended up looking like, but I could see a person regretting that location.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11615 on: January 03, 2016, 11:54:35 PM »
I find the most curious argument against tattoos is that they will not look as good when you are wrinkly and saggy.  But guess what?  It's not the tattoo that makes you look old*.

Yup.  It's people who have a problem with getting old that tend to find this problematic, in my experience.  Even if they didn't have the tattoo, they'd still have this problem.

The people I've found who don't have a problem getting old tend to LIKE the idea that the tattoo "ages" with them, as it's a part of them.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11616 on: January 04, 2016, 03:35:42 AM »

Yes, I agree.:)

crispy

« Reply #11617 on: January 04, 2016, 08:07:34 AM »
They are permanent, though, so it is important to be sure it is something in line with your core self.  It helps to really know yourself.  My friend got a Carebear tattoo when she was 23.  Now, 15 years later ... she still loves it!!!  She knows herself and doesn't give a rat's patoot what other people think. She has maybe a dozen tattoos and none of them were inspired by a night of drinking.  None of my personal friends express regret of their tats.
Not that tattoos are for everyone.  I can barely buy a pair of pants without changing my mind later.

*although placement is important.  I heard of a friend of a friend got some sort of Celtic tattoo around her navel at age 19.  Then she started having kids 3 years later.  I don't know what it ended up looking like, but I could see a person regretting that location.

A friend of a friend has half a dolphin on her stomach...the other half is somewhere in her c-section scar. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11618 on: January 04, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »
I'm not wholeheartedly against tattoos, but I think the good ones, the ones that actually really mean something significant enough, are few and far between--the sobriety date is a good one. I heard of an relatively young man (maybe 50 or 55) who had Alzheimer's and couldn't remember his wife's name, so he tattooed it on his arm along with her face.  (EDIT: Heard that on the internet or with a bunch of drunk folks, so I question the authenticity of the story. I like it though)

In general though, I think that Jimmy Buffet said it best: A permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:43:37 AM by mtn »

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #11619 on: January 04, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »
My cousin has a tattoo of cherries on her belly. I think it was closer to her hip, but, well... She got pregnant and they turned into apples.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #11620 on: January 05, 2016, 06:13:54 AM »
I like how everybody is questioning the judgment of a person that gets a tattoo based on its permanency and not on the financial cost. Tattoos are effing expensive. Most clean, reputable shops have a minimum of $100 no matter what it is and charge $100+/hr after that, and if you have a talented artist that's doing something with any sort of color or shading bigger than a post-it note, it's going to take over an hour. I have two small ones from my pre-mmm days and they are both extremely meaningful to me, but now that I am more aware of my financial situation, I cannot in any way justify the expense.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11621 on: January 05, 2016, 07:00:05 AM »
I like how everybody is questioning the judgment of a person that gets a tattoo based on its permanency and not on the financial cost. Tattoos are effing expensive. Most clean, reputable shops have a minimum of $100 no matter what it is and charge $100+/hr after that, and if you have a talented artist that's doing something with any sort of color or shading bigger than a post-it note, it's going to take over an hour. I have two small ones from my pre-mmm days and they are both extremely meaningful to me, but now that I am more aware of my financial situation, I cannot in any way justify the expense.

This. I was looking into getting a half-sleeve from an artist I adore. 6-month waiting list, 2.5K.

I'd have waited 6 months, no problem. But: I have financial priorities, a house, a kid, and a LOT of other uses for 2.5K. So no half-sleeve for me.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11622 on: January 05, 2016, 11:34:37 AM »
This story has both good and bad in it. One of my coworkers was trying to increase her 457 contributions. We work with our backs to each other and I turned around to speak with her and saw (without trying) her balance after 8 years of working here at around (shooting low) 70k per year her balance is right around 10k. My balance after contributing for 3 months is around 6k. Now I understand that not everyone's lives are like mine and this coworker is a great person and has had a tough life, but 10k after (conservatively) 560k of income?

notactiveanymore

• Stubble
« Reply #11623 on: January 05, 2016, 12:00:52 PM »
This story has both good and bad in it. One of my coworkers was trying to increase her 457 contributions. We work with our backs to each other and I turned around to speak with her and saw (without trying) her balance after 8 years of working here at around (shooting low) 70k per year her balance is right around 10k. My balance after contributing for 3 months is around 6k. Now I understand that not everyone's lives are like mine and this coworker is a great person and has had a tough life, but 10k after (conservatively) 560k of income?

Maybe she was funding Roth IRAs post tax. I only have about $1000 in my 457 from a couple years ago because I want to focus my retirement contributions on tax free distribution plans. She might only contribute to the 457 the amount above the Roth cap.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #11624 on: January 05, 2016, 12:13:05 PM »

A friend of a friend has half a dolphin on her stomach...the other half is somewhere in her c-section scar.
This invoked a mental image of the dolphin looking like it's diving into/out of her stomach.  That could be pretty cool.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #11625 on: January 05, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »
new one to add: CW bought a new to her 2014 F150 V8 single cab. She drives 60 miles each way every day, for I think $15 an hour or so. They wouldn't take her old car in on trade, so the dealer actually advised her to LET IT GET REPOSSESSED! it would be her 3rd repo, but shouldn't matter because she will still be paying on the truck in 7 years when her credit is "better". It's so good now her interest rate is 13% So this $22k truck is going to cost $36k by my math, plus lets say gas averages $3 a gallon x 6 gallons a day X 250 days/year x 5 years = $22,500 in GAS in a $22k truck she's paying 36k for.

wow, $59,000 for a used ford F150. it better do dirty sexual things for that price.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #11626 on: January 05, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »

My DH's tattoo was earned as his incentive in paying off a big portion of the house. I can't remember what his artist charges per hour, but by the time he gets it this summer he will have been on her waiting list over three years, transferred to another artist and back, and flown to another country to get it.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #11627 on: January 05, 2016, 07:37:02 PM »
They wouldn't take her old car in on trade, so the dealer actually advised her to LET IT GET REPOSSESSED! it would be her 3rd repo, but shouldn't matter because she will still be paying on the truck in 7 years when her credit is "better". It's so good now her interest rate is 13%.

"Wouldn't take" probably means there was too much negative equity to roll into the new loan. After they repo her old car, the finance company will sell it at auction. Then they will probably sue her for the difference between the loan balance, late fees, and repo costs, minus what the old car brought at auction. If her wages are garnished, it may be difficult for her to continue making payments on the new truck. Regardless, she is not likely to have a good outcome.

I did not know anyone would finance a subprime auto loan for seven years (and make no mistake, if it's at 13% interest, it's subprime).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:39:04 PM by notquitefrugal »

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11628 on: January 05, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »

Maybe she was funding Roth IRAs post tax. I only have about $1000 in my 457 from a couple years ago because I want to focus my retirement contributions on tax free distribution plans. She might only contribute to the 457 the amount above the Roth cap.

I see your point but knowing her life situation/financial literacy, I don't think this is the case, I doubt she even knows what an Ira is.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11629 on: January 06, 2016, 12:49:23 AM »
They wouldn't take her old car in on trade, so the dealer actually advised her to LET IT GET REPOSSESSED! it would be her 3rd repo, but shouldn't matter because she will still be paying on the truck in 7 years when her credit is "better". It's so good now her interest rate is 13%.

"Wouldn't take" probably means there was too much negative equity to roll into the new loan. After they repo her old car, the finance company will sell it at auction. Then they will probably sue her for the difference between the loan balance, late fees, and repo costs, minus what the old car brought at auction. If her wages are garnished, it may be difficult for her to continue making payments on the new truck. Regardless, she is not likely to have a good outcome.

I did not know anyone would finance a subprime auto loan for seven years (and make no mistake, if it's at 13% interest, it's subprime).

Not THAT subprime. I have a friend who financed a car at 24.9%. It also had a lojack type thing that beeped if you were late on payments, and wouldn't allow the car to start if you were 30 days late.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11630 on: January 06, 2016, 04:26:51 AM »
Not THAT subprime. I have a friend who financed a car at 24.9%. It also had a lojack type thing that beeped if you were late on payments, and wouldn't allow the car to start if you were 30 days late.
Now THAT is anti-Mustachian comedy gold right there. Wow.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #11631 on: January 06, 2016, 05:24:35 AM »
Now THAT is anti-Mustachian comedy gold right there. Wow.

reminds me of when Andy Dweyer on Parks and Rec is excited to get a new motorcycle and brags, " oh yeah, it's 18% interest. pretty much the highest you can get" like it's a victory.

But I park next to said CW, and it's a pretty truck but no thank you. I'll take years of my life please.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #11632 on: January 06, 2016, 05:26:54 AM »
new one to add: CW bought a new to her 2014 F150 V8 single cab. She drives 60 miles each way every day, for I think $15 an hour or so. They wouldn't take her old car in on trade, so the dealer actually advised her to LET IT GET REPOSSESSED! it would be her 3rd repo, but shouldn't matter because she will still be paying on the truck in 7 years when her credit is "better". It's so good now her interest rate is 13% So this $22k truck is going to cost $36k by my math, plus lets say gas averages $3 a gallon x 6 gallons a day X 250 days/year x 5 years = $22,500 in GAS in a $22k truck she's paying 36k for.

wow, $59,000 for a used ford F150. it better do dirty sexual things for that price.

She's getting screwed all right.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11633 on: January 06, 2016, 08:19:35 AM »
This is SOP for my neighbor who's a user car dealer in a low-income/ working class area.
A daycare worker I know bought a vehicle with the above "options". But it is a great deal at $99/month.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11634 on: January 06, 2016, 08:21:34 AM »

Probably won't sue her, often too much money and a settlement can be reached prior to it going that far. But yeah, that is correct.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11635 on: January 06, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »
About a month after I started working at my current job a coworker and I were eating lunch together and she said, "So you eat leftovers for lunch like every day, huh?"

My SO and I meal plan and bring lunches to work every day. It was particularly funny because this coworker's lunches usually consist of a pack of crackers and a can of tuna, or something similarly prepackaged and boring, whereas I bring homemade curries and the like, yet my lunches are "gross" because they're "leftovers"....
If you planned to bring it to work, it's not really leftovers. Call it home manufacturing if you want ;)

We call them "planovers". As in, we planned to have leftovers specifically for this purpose. Seems to be pretty efficient to batch-cook several things at once and have lunch made for the week.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11636 on: January 06, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »
CW 1:  Man, I'm so broke, between Christmas, the pregnancy and the new house I am strapped"
CW2" that sucks man, when is your new stack getting here?"  ***I THINK a stack is some sort of weight lifting equipment based on the way the conversation went*****
CW1:  I dunno man I just ordered it yesterday
CW2:  Man that site I sent you, they usually have it to you in 2 days, they cost a bit more but the shipping is fast
CW1:  For $1700 I'd hope the shipping is quick!

For the record, these are the same two idiots that couldn't figure out the tea kettle.  In the past month CW1 has found out his wife is pregnant, subsequently put in a contract on a new build home in Gainesville va, with so far, 35k in upgrades,...we work in the DC area...so yea that's a RIDICULOUS commute and I'm pretty sure he earns about 60k or under a year.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #11637 on: January 06, 2016, 11:17:58 AM »

I can't resist commenting on this.  From my research, I've found that you should always contribute to your 457B first.  It's pre-tax dollars (up to $18,000 maximum this year) and can be withdrawn without penalties after you leave that job; there's no 10% penalty until 59.5 like 401K's have.

I made the mistake of investing in a Roth IRA and the 401K before I realized how much "better" the 457 plan is than the 401.  Granted, I can understand the desire to invest in a Roth IRA if you want/need some sort of emergency fund, but otherwise the 457 trumps it IMO.

Ok, now back on topic.. I don't have anything overheard at the moment...

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11638 on: January 06, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »
I heard of an relatively young man (maybe 50 or 55) who had Alzheimer's and couldn't remember his wife's name, so he tattooed it on his arm along with her face. 

I've heard of women getting their own names tattooed above their arse, but to have one willing to get a tattoo of their own name on their face just to help me out, that's a level of commitment I can't really imagine.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11639 on: January 06, 2016, 11:32:36 AM »
I heard of an relatively young man (maybe 50 or 55) who had Alzheimer's and couldn't remember his wife's name, so he tattooed it on his arm along with her face. 

I've heard of women getting their own names tattooed above their arse, but to have one willing to get a tattoo of their own name on their face just to help me out, that's a level of commitment I can't really imagine.

I would assume it was an image of her face tattooed on his arm, not her name tattooed on her own face.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11640 on: January 06, 2016, 11:33:50 AM »

I would assume it was an image of her face tattooed on his arm, not her name tattooed on her own face.

That is how I understood it as well.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11641 on: January 06, 2016, 11:58:46 AM »
CW 1:  Man, I'm so broke, between Christmas, the pregnancy and the new house I am strapped"
CW2" that sucks man, when is your new stack getting here?"  ***I THINK a stack is some sort of weight lifting equipment based on the way the conversation went*****
CW2:  Man that site I sent you, they usually have it to you in 2 days, they cost a bit more but the shipping is fast

For the record, these are the same two idiots that couldn't figure out the tea kettle.  In the past month CW1 has found out his wife is pregnant, subsequently put in a contract on a new build home in Gainesville va, with so far, 35k in upgrades,...we work in the DC area...so yea that's a RIDICULOUS commute and I'm pretty sure he earns about 60k or under a year.
Ouch.  My nephew lives in Bristow, VA.  When I lived in the area and worked in Crystal City, we had coworkers who lived in Centreville.  At the time (90's), that's as far out as anyone really lived and commuted.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11642 on: January 06, 2016, 12:00:12 PM »

That is how I understood it as well.

This. So he would look at his arm, see a face, and underneath the face a name. Maybe it said "wife" too.

Don't know if it is true or not though.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11643 on: January 06, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »

Most likely a steroid stack...

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11644 on: January 06, 2016, 01:27:31 PM »

Most likely a steroid stack...

Whelp...goes to show how much I know about lifting...and that would make it just THAT much worse.

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #11645 on: January 06, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »

Not that this CW made a good decision, but seriously, why are people still assuming fuel is $3 a gallon?  From where I sit, I see a gas station that has gas at $1.79 and diesel at $2.19.  In fact, I believe we ended 2015, at least here in the states, with an average price per gallon of gasoline at $2.00.

Now, that's still stupid for that personals financial situation, and a LOT of fuel, but why does everyone on MMM have to get so judgy over people's decisions?

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11646 on: January 06, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »

Not that this CW made a good decision, but seriously, why are people still assuming fuel is $3 a gallon?  From where I sit, I see a gas station that has gas at $1.79 and diesel at $2.19.  In fact, I believe we ended 2015, at least here in the states, with an average price per gallon of gasoline at $2.00.
It's $2.0x here or $1.9x at the cash-only place, but anyway...

Because it being < $2.50/gal for 6 months doesn't have most of us assuming that's the new normal. My husband thinks OPEC is artificially lowering their prices temporarily to manipulate the election. I don't know about that, but given it was $4/gal for a while there, $3 seems to be the average over the last 15 years.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #11647 on: January 06, 2016, 03:09:33 PM »
Now, that's still stupid for that personals financial situation, and a LOT of fuel, but why does everyone on MMM have to get so judgy over people's decisions?

That's kinda the whole point of this topic, to shake our heads at people who make ridiculous financial decisions they can't afford.

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #11648 on: January 06, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »

That's kinda the whole point of this topic, to shake our heads at people who make ridiculous financial decisions they can't afford.

Okay, you win that point.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11649 on: January 07, 2016, 02:37:26 AM »

For the record, these are the same two idiots that couldn't figure out the tea kettle. 

That made me lol!