Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4935520 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #11550 on: December 11, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
I have been following this topic and today I hear something that's worth sharing.

They have an hour lunch break at his company. Apparently most employees go home to have lunch. I spoke to one of them and he said it's a roundtrip of only 14 miles. I think that qualifies as clown car driving. That's 2.80 per day in fuel alone, (2.8*5*44 = 616 per year!)
Tens of thousands over a long enough timeline, with investment returns.
I used to drive 5 miles home for lunch on occasion, but mostly because I didn't have a yard and my dogs needed walks. I preferred to pay a walker, but sometimes it fell to me.
Fortunately, we don't have that problem anymore. Even that $1 in gas seemed like a waste to me.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11551 on: December 11, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »
I have been following this topic and today I hear something that's worth sharing.

They have an hour lunch break at his company. Apparently most employees go home to have lunch. I spoke to one of them and he said it's a roundtrip of only 14 miles. I think that qualifies as clown car driving. That's 2.80 per day in fuel alone, (2.8*5*44 = 616 per year!)
I used to drive 5 miles home for lunch on occasion, but mostly because I didn't have a yard and my dogs needed walks. I preferred to pay a walker, but sometimes it fell to me.
Fortunately, we don't have that problem anymore. Even that $1 in gas seemed like a waste to me.

If it means you get to see family or dogs then I'd do it. 

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11552 on: December 11, 2015, 11:46:15 AM »
So I was talking to a coworker today. The other day, she mentioned how she and her husband have an inexpensive apartment. I ask more about it today when it came up. Theirs is a 2 bedroom, and they use the other bedroom for storage. Ours is a 1 bedroom.  Both were recently renovated. Theirs is in a good school district (they have no children), ours is not (we don't have children). Both towns are nice and safe. They are planning on buying a house soon, so are we (though a couple years from now as compared to next year). They pay $1700/month, we pay $965/month.

$1700/month is not 'cheap'!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #11553 on: December 11, 2015, 11:47:06 AM »

I used to do it every day (5km each way) to let my dog out to pee when he was a puppy. Also even after he was old enough it was still sooooo refreshing to hang out in my own house before going back for the afternoon. It was all pre-FIRE-ambitions of course, but I don't regret it. Also, about 80% of the time I tacked on some field work in that general direction and work paid 52c/km for my mileage. Luckily my house was nearly directly on the way to the area of the city where I did field work.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #11554 on: December 11, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
Isn't it kind of unusual to be in high school and not have a part-time job? I can't imagine my $4/mo allowance would've taught me much about money as a kid anyway.
Where I grew up, high school kids didn't work. There was plenty of after-school activities such as in-school sport competitions, outside sports, clubs, etc. School was 8am-4pm, end up getting home after 6pm.
When I moved to the US for university, I didn't understand the need to work when in high school; you'll be working anyway after you graduate. I ended up working part-time on and off-campus.
But now I've come to realize that high schoolers add to family income, while learning skills that will help over the years.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

fattest_foot

• Bristles
« Reply #11555 on: December 11, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »

I used to do it every day (5km each way) to let my dog out to pee when he was a puppy. Also even after he was old enough it was still sooooo refreshing to hang out in my own house before going back for the afternoon. It was all pre-FIRE-ambitions of course, but I don't regret it. Also, about 80% of the time I tacked on some field work in that general direction and work paid 52c/km for my mileage. Luckily my house was nearly directly on the way to the area of the city where I did field work.

I do this, and I'm fine with the cost. I live about 3 miles from work, but I like being able to see the dog for 45 minutes or so every working day. At current fuel prices, I'm spending about $120 a year.

saving_dutchman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11556 on: December 11, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »

I do this, and I'm fine with the cost. I live about 3 miles from work, but I like being able to see the dog for 45 minutes or so every working day. At current fuel prices, I'm spending about $120 a year.

If you put it like that it's a conscious anti-mustachian choice and it becomes a different story I think. It's not solely for the purpose of food you are also spending time with the dog. If you have small children or a SO at home I can imagine you want to see them at lunch.

I used to go home for lunch when I was as at university but I lived only 5 min away by bicycle.

Apples

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11557 on: December 13, 2015, 10:28:20 AM »

If you put it like that it's a conscious anti-mustachian choice and it becomes a different story I think. It's not solely for the purpose of food you are also spending time with the dog. If you have small children or a SO at home I can imagine you want to see them at lunch.

I used to go home for lunch when I was as at university but I lived only 5 min away by bicycle.

I also go home for lunch.  It's a 2 mile drive (you haven't seen these roads, hell will freeze over before anyone commutes by bike on one of them...the most you ever see is a Saturday morning cycling group once a month).  I see our dog and let him out, and get things out and ready for dinner that need to thaw.  But really I do it because it's my one guaranteed hour (or 40 mins in reality) of quiet guaranteed for me every day.  We don't even have kids yet and I love my lunch hour.  Also, since I don't work in an office, it's my one hour a day to do things like call the utility/cable company/bank about an issue or question while they're open.  Using a company vehicle and gas I technically don't pay anything to do it, but I would totally pay $500 or $1,000 per year just to get my quiet hour and the ability to get things done.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #11558 on: December 13, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »
Couldn't figure out which thread to post this in, and I didn't want to start a new thread for it, so here goes:

Due to circumstances, I'm currently living on my friend's couch for a week while waiting for my new apartment to be ready. I'm super grateful that my friend's willing to put me (and all my worldly possessions) up for a week before I move to my new place. But. WOW.

I enter her apartment (first time at her place) and see that she has boxes/shopping bags/suitcases stacked around the corners of the living room. My first thought, oh, she and her housemate must be moving/travelling/preparing for Christmas. Nope. Apparently their living room is their storage room, and they made an effort to push their things to the corners so there was some space for me.

I tried to find a bin to recycle some pieces of paper that I had, and she told me that THEY DON'T RECYCLE. I literally walked past recycling bins for paper, plastics/metals, and cardboard from the parking lot to her apartment. But they don't recycle.

Then at night, sleeping in the living room and all, I tried to find the light switch and turns out it was hidden behind a towering stack of shoeboxes tethering on top of a shoe rack next to the wall. The next morning, I joked with my friend that wow it took me a few minutes of looking around the walls to look for the light switch, and she told me that they never switch off the lights to the living room or kitchen. EVER. As in, they leave the lights on 24/7. Even if they are not home.

It was also super warm at night because they had the thermostat in the living room set to 80. I turned it down to 50 before I slept because I was almost sweating in my t-shirt and shorts (I never thought I'd wear shorts in winter), and when I woke up the next morning, someone had turned it back to 80.

I'm super grateful that my friend's willing to let me use her couch for a week. But. Wow.

Mind blown.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11559 on: December 14, 2015, 02:46:29 AM »
*BOOM* *scrapes off brain from wall and give it to your friends*

Let me guess they dont "believe" in climate change? Or not wasting money on things you dont even use for that pont.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #11560 on: December 14, 2015, 08:57:17 AM »
For part of that period, DW was also at home because she'd just graduated and was job-hunting, which made it even nicer... but my lunch is only 30min officially so I was kinda pushing my luck. Agree that it's a sweet luxury if you can make it work. I love leaving the office long enough to get out of the work mindset. Our modern business culture really wants you to get in work mode for 9-12 hours a day and never shift gears... I think it's unhealthy as hell.

It was also super warm at night because they had the thermostat in the living room set to 80. I turned it down to 50 before I slept because I was almost sweating in my t-shirt and shorts (I never thought I'd wear shorts in winter), and when I woke up the next morning, someone had turned it back to 80.
We stayed with friends on the weekend and it had been above 70 all day there, so I assumed the vent noise I heard Friday night was the AC just to keep the edge off the heat... I was so warm that I had trouble sleeping. Up at 5:30AM to get ready for drill, I actually opened some doors and was breathing a sigh of relief at the lovely fresh air rolling into the house, until I heard the air kick on again and finally realized it was the heat.
Oddly, the 'stat appeared to be set to only 72... I turned it down a few and it stayed there, AFAIK.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11561 on: December 15, 2015, 07:59:23 AM »
There CW stories:

Was part of a meeting yesterday and CW1 asked if I had played with some social media app that CW1 recommended. Nothing I'd use b/c I don't do social media. However I pointed out that i could not get it to work b/c my phone must be too "old". Figured that would be the easy way out of the topic.

"What? Don't you have an iPhone 6???" CW1 asked very surprised... By her pained expression you'd think I just said I let a toddler play with knives.

I considered explaining the $10 pay-as-you-go plan I use, my $30 (now 6mos old) Android phone and then just let it drop.

CW2 chimed in that her family decided everyone got new iPhones for Christmas every year. All of them. All five or so of them. You know - the mainstream cell contract package deal. Wondered what that costs - $2000 a year? I dunno. They probably use the heck out of the social media capability. Both CWs are into that in a big way. Whatever makes them happy.

- - - -

Another coworker expressed a satisfaction that it was nice to have money left over each month due to some spending changes they have made after 20+ years of well-paid employment. They are going to need to see a financial counselor about best strategies. I started to open up about MMM but thought better of it due to other participants in the discussion. Maybe later. The other participants would likely want to debate the merits. I'm rather private about my personal choices at work.

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11562 on: December 15, 2015, 08:33:31 AM »
They probably use the heck out of the social media capability. Both CWs are into that in a big way. Whatever makes them happy.
At the company holiday party last night, one couple was just going on and on about perceived Facebook slights from people I don't know.  Don't get it.  At all.  Wife and I also got more pressure about having kids than we've gotten even from our own mothers.  To the point we both separately got up and went elsewhere for a few minutes to get away from the conversation.  Food and drink were pretty good at least.
Link to my journal, so I can find it quickly - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/dandarc's-journal/

Maigahane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11563 on: December 15, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
Not exactly financially related but I'm the youngest person in our department (besides one new guy) by about 15 years. Two of my coworkers took me to lunch the other day as a thank you gesture for helping get through a busy season. I was the only one that did not spend a good portion of the lunch on my phone. Mine didn't even come out at all but they both were constantly checking theirs. They do the same things in meetings at work while mine stays at my desk. Way to buck the stereotypes 40's man, 50's woman, and little me sneaking up on 30

Related financial tie-in: I don't have data so unless there's wifi, no internet for me. Both of these coworkers have big data plans through major carriers and constantly complain about the price. One pays for her daughter and son-in-law's phones (the daughter is older than I am) and the other has a smart phone for at least his 15 year old son, possibly the 9 year old daughter too. When I mention my $12/line phone bill they say "Must be nice" like I got lucky to get that deal. The woman says Sprint has messed up her phone bill every month for something like 6 months now and she has to call each time to get it fixed (extra crazy since Sprints coverage isn't that great here). PagePlus hasn't messed mine up once.

Mr Dumpster Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #11564 on: December 15, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »
My coworker was telling me about an online purchase she made that she attempted to cancel, and how she then got a notification that it shipped anyway. She checked her bank and saw that the money had not left her account yet. Her mom advised her not to spend the money, as it might still go through.

"I'm going to spend it anyway. An overdraft is basically just like a high interest loan."

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11565 on: December 15, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
My boss was a bit shocked when I told him I couldn't help QC the content of an app because my phone won't download it. (It requires iOS8, and my phone won't update past 7... the iphone 4 is no longer supported).

Not sure what I'm supposed to do, as this is a major factor in what I do for work.  What sucks is I may have to upgrade or else get a company phone. But if I get a company phone I lose my $40 a month subsidy which currently covers my bill. 

I think the 4S might still be supported, maybe I could find one of those.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11566 on: December 15, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
My coworker was telling me about an online purchase she made that she attempted to cancel, and how she then got a notification that it shipped anyway. She checked her bank and saw that the money had not left her account yet. Her mom advised her not to spend the money, as it might still go through.

"I'm going to spend it anyway. An overdraft is basically just like a high interest loan."

Wow.... A high interest loan is also very bad.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11567 on: December 15, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »

A very high interest loan, in many cases.

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11568 on: December 15, 2015, 01:58:54 PM »
Yeah, I don't have data either - well I do  but's its some tiny amount like 150MB that I rarely tap into. My wife does have a nice phone too with data but it's a $35 unlimited Cricket plan. That's her one splurge.

She doesn't buy fancy clothes, doesn't want a new car, etc. We have used it occasionally for maps, business hours, solving trivia discussions while traveling, etc. She uses it alot to keep up with her/our friends. She is in charge of our family social media.

I paid to have an off-line GPS app on my phone. Works fine and no data requirements, one time payment, etc.   

We have told a few people about our "off brand" cell services and they said that they have to have the local favorite (Verizon) in case they are down in the country away from the town for some reason - so the cost is worth it to them. $35 vs $1?? per month maybe...  Is it worth that much just in case?

I did a service call in the country for my employer on a piece of equipment. My phone = no service. So I walked 50 feet into the office and called in a question on the landline. Didn't hurt my "swagger" at all. ;)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:09:02 AM by Joe Average »

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11569 on: December 15, 2015, 02:06:16 PM »
Even the top 2 networks (Verizon and AT&T) have $30 plans with data and all of that stuff. No excuses haha. I put together all my cell bills for the last 7 months that I've worked at my company, and it only totaled around $210. I get reimbursed for it, but it's just good practice!

theknitcycle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11570 on: December 15, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »
My endlessly entertaining coworker is at it again.  Last winter she learned that her roof (on the house she bought by taking a hardship distribution from her 401(k) in order to put 3% down) was leaking.  She got a quote for $5k to do the real fix, or something less for a temporary patch job to get her through to summer.  Since she didn't have $5k, she opted for the temporary patch.

So the year moved along -- 3-5 drinks at happy hour a few times a week, restaurant dinners two or three nights a week, manicures, massages, getaway weekends at hotels or rented cabins about once a month, lavish birthday and anniversary celebrations, new patio furniture, two separate week-long trips to expensive cities a few time zones away.  Just the normal, basic things that a modern gal NEEDS in order to not be depriving herself.

Well, now it's winter again.  Which means it's raining.  Which means last year's temporary patch is no longer working, the roof is leaking again, and it's time to pony up the $5k to actually fix the problem.  Shocker, right?  She's stressed out and furious about the sudden surprise expense, which she will be "forced" to put on her credit card because of course she does not have $5k just sitting around.  How could she possibly?  Surely there was no way to predict this, and nothing she could have done to save up money even if she had known...

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11571 on: December 15, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
Is that the entire roof? I thought I remember my parents complaining* about the cost of their fairly big house to be re-roofed was around $6,500.

*My dad was complaining that he was going to have to spend a lot of time crunching the numbers and figuring out when he was going to do it and how he was going to fund it (pay off mortgage early, HELOC, cash, or sell some vanguard stock) while juggling another house purchase and tax season.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #11572 on: December 15, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
Related financial tie-in: I don't have data so unless there's wifi, no internet for me. Both of these coworkers have big data plans through major carriers and constantly complain about the price. One pays for her daughter and son-in-law's phones (the daughter is older than I am) and the other has a smart phone for at least his 15 year old son, possibly the 9 year old daughter too. When I mention my $12/line phone bill they say "Must be nice" like I got lucky to get that deal. The woman says Sprint has messed up her phone bill every month for something like 6 months now and she has to call each time to get it fixed (extra crazy since Sprints coverage isn't that great here). PagePlus hasn't messed mine up once.

You might get shot down with this, but I like to play the phone game at a meal:

Everyone puts their phone at the center of the table.
The first person to retrieve their phone before the meal is over (define this clearly - whether it's when people are getting up to leave, when the check has arrived, etc.) loses.
Whoever loses pays the entire bill for everyone.
Otherwise, everyone wins and you each pay for what you ordered.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11573 on: December 15, 2015, 04:02:34 PM »
Even the top 2 networks (Verizon and AT&T) have $30 plans with data and all of that stuff. No excuses haha.
Having looked at AT&T's plans, I'm not sure where you're seeing it.  IIRC, AT&T is $20/phone, *plus* you are required to have a data plan (a minimum of $30/mo). Each additional phone is $20.  So for my wife and me to get AT&T, it would be $70.  Verizon is similar.  So is T-mobile.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11574 on: December 15, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
Even the top 2 networks (Verizon and AT&T) have $30 plans with data and all of that stuff. No excuses haha.
Having looked at AT&T's plans, I'm not sure where you're seeing it.  IIRC, AT&T is $20/phone, *plus* you are required to have a data plan (a minimum of $30/mo). Each additional phone is $20.  So for my wife and me to get AT&T, it would be $70.  Verizon is similar.  So is T-mobile.

I meant through the MVNOs (Page Plus and H2O). For $31.50 per month, you get 500 MB and unlimited slow data after on H2O (AT&T). Totally a good deal IMO. Definitely a better network than the other, and yes, I will pay $1.50 more per month so I have reception in the mountainous areas where my grandparents live haha.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11575 on: December 15, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »
Co-worker was telling me about how her new truck has air conditioned seats. I didn't even know such a thing existed. This is the big ass gas guzzler that is too expensive to drive so she bought a used small car to commute to work. But hey! When she does drive it her ass is going to be nice and cool.

Mormon Money Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11576 on: December 15, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
Co-worker was telling me about how her new truck has air conditioned seats. I didn't even know such a thing existed. This is the big ass gas guzzler that is too expensive to drive so she bought a used small car to commute to work. But hey! When she does drive it her ass is going to be nice and cool.

LOL. They are pretty nice actually. And in cold climates the heated seats are a dream. But yeah, pairing that with a gas guzzler truck is kind of insane.

Mormon Money Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11577 on: December 15, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »
A co-worker and I were talking about early retirement. He threw out that he would bow out at about $6 million because that would give him about $350k/year, which should be just enough to cover his expenses.

I said, "Wow I wouldn't even know how to spend that much money each year." His response: "I would. In fact I practically already do." FYI, there's no way this guy makes >$200k per year on average. I just let the conversation die at this point. What can you say?

hownowbrowncow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11578 on: December 15, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »
Bratty of me but...as a going away present, my team got me a bottle of wine and crystal decanter.  Nice bottle, beautiful decanter.  I'd guess $150+ but the thing is I would have preferred cash, an Amazon gift card, or hell something with a gift receipt I could return for useful items. After all my talk about decluttering, minimalism, experiences over things and I got something I will never use and will be a pain in the ass to sell because it's super fragile.  Good thing they threw in the wine!

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11579 on: December 15, 2015, 08:16:43 PM »
My endlessly entertaining coworker is at it again.  Last winter she learned that her roof (on the house she bought by taking a hardship distribution from her 401(k) in order to put 3% down) was leaking.  She got a quote for $5k to do the real fix, or something less for a temporary patch job to get her through to summer.  Since she didn't have $5k, she opted for the temporary patch.

So the year moved along -- 3-5 drinks at happy hour a few times a week, restaurant dinners two or three nights a week, manicures, massages, getaway weekends at hotels or rented cabins about once a month, lavish birthday and anniversary celebrations, new patio furniture, two separate week-long trips to expensive cities a few time zones away.  Just the normal, basic things that a modern gal NEEDS in order to not be depriving herself.

Well, now it's winter again.  Which means it's raining.  Which means last year's temporary patch is no longer working, the roof is leaking again, and it's time to pony up the $5k to actually fix the problem.  Shocker, right?  She's stressed out and furious about the sudden surprise expense, which she will be "forced" to put on her credit card because of course she does not have $5k just sitting around.  How could she possibly?  Surely there was no way to predict this, and nothing she could have done to save up money even if she had known...

Aw, poor girl!  It must suck to be totally blindsided like that!  ;-)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11580 on: December 15, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
Bratty of me but...as a going away present, my team got me a bottle of wine and crystal decanter. 

It's a gift.....

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11581 on: December 15, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »

I meant through the MVNOs (Page Plus and H2O). For $31.50 per month, you get 500 MB and unlimited slow data after on H2O (AT&T). Totally a good deal IMO. Definitely a better network than the other, and yes, I will pay $1.50 more per month so I have reception in the mountainous areas where my grandparents live haha.

Coincidentally, today I received an email notice from AT&T that they are increasing the cost of my unlimited data plan from $30 to $35:

We'd like to thank you for your business and share an upcoming change. Beginning February 2016, we'll be increasing the price of your unlimited data plan by $5 per month our first increase in 7 years.

I'm bummed about the increase, but it was a good long run for 7 years.  Plus, my employer fully reimburses me regardless :-)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:33:54 PM by LeRainDrop »

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11582 on: December 15, 2015, 08:40:25 PM »

I have been sweating my butt off for the last couple of days (respiratory infection + fever + medication side effect + apartment heated to nearly 80 degrees because the super is crazy) and right now I would probably be willing to pay to get this installed in my couch and/or bed.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11583 on: December 15, 2015, 10:28:36 PM »

I have been sweating my butt off for the last couple of days (respiratory infection + fever + medication side effect + apartment heated to nearly 80 degrees because the super is crazy) and right now I would probably be willing to pay to get this installed in my couch and/or bed.

In theory, air conditioned seats could use less energy by more effectively cooling the driver.  Think of how a heating blanket could let you turn your thermostat down (although in internal combustion cars, heat is typically "free")

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11584 on: December 16, 2015, 04:32:07 AM »
A co-worker and I were talking about early retirement. He threw out that he would bow out at about $6 million because that would give him about $350k/year, which should be just enough to cover his expenses.

I said, "Wow I wouldn't even know how to spend that much money each year." His response: "I would. In fact I practically already do." FYI, there's no way this guy makes >$200k per year on average. I just let the conversation die at this point. What can you say?
You should have commented to him that he actually needs $9M saved then based on $350K/yr of expenses.

Maigahane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11585 on: December 16, 2015, 07:10:54 AM »

The first person to retrieve their phone before the meal is over (define this clearly - whether it's when people are getting up to leave, when the check has arrived, etc.) loses.
I've heard of that but since I'm rarely out to eat with anyone besides DH I usually don't need it. And it this meal the other two had already agreed to split the check to treat me so it would have ended up the same

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11586 on: December 16, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
Bratty of me but...as a going away present, my team got me a bottle of wine and crystal decanter.  Nice bottle, beautiful decanter.  I'd guess $150+ but the thing is I would have preferred cash, an Amazon gift card, or hell something with a gift receipt I could return for useful items. After all my talk about decluttering, minimalism, experiences over things and I got something I will never use and will be a pain in the ass to sell because it's super fragile.  Good thing they threw in the wine!

That was a revenge gift - buying you something that they like and you'd never buy for yourself... ;)

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11587 on: December 16, 2015, 08:15:05 AM »

Open a window? ;)

saving_dutchman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11588 on: December 16, 2015, 08:25:51 AM »

I've heard of that but since I'm rarely out to eat with anyone besides DH I usually don't need it. And it this meal the other two had already agreed to split the check to treat me so it would have ended up the same

There is also the added benefit of not having people check their smartphone every few minutes.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11589 on: December 16, 2015, 08:37:35 AM »

There is also the added benefit of not having people check their smartphone every few minutes.

I hear people complaining about this all the time and all I have to ask, what sort of friends do you have? I'm 28, perfect age for this type of behavior and don't see it. When I'm eating with friends, we are talking, the only time someone pulls out their phone if they receive a phone call/text or if they are looking something up (like a fact relating to the conversation).

Maybe I'm the lucky one that has friends that value face-to-face conversation. Rather I suspect that this has just become a meme that people repeat over and over again, until they beat it to death.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11590 on: December 16, 2015, 08:50:12 AM »
I hear people complaining about this all the time and all I have to ask, what sort of friends do you have? I'm 28, perfect age for this type of behavior and don't see it. When I'm eating with friends, we are talking, the only time someone pulls out their phone if they receive a phone call/text or if they are looking something up (like a fact relating to the conversation).

Maybe I'm the lucky one that has friends that value face-to-face conversation. Rather I suspect that this has just become a meme that people repeat over and over again, until they beat it to death.

Maybe you are just young enough to be used to it then, but I don't think it's cool when everyone starts pulling out their phones to check texts, reeddit, etc.

I'm 31, not much older than you, but I sure as hell recall going to dinner with family/friends and people not checking their phones.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11591 on: December 16, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »

T-Mobile has a direct $30/month plan. Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB, but even my husband who never even turns on the wifi on his phone because "battery issues" doesn't use that much) but only 100 minutes. He's not a big talker and generally uses Google Voice at home, so it works for him. In my area, after taxes it's like $33.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans?clickid=WLWyM202mUvQR%3A4112zzGyJ5UkXSHlSHOQJ%3A0U0&iradid=189313&cmpid=WTR_AF_189313&irpid=38664&irgwc=1

saving_dutchman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11592 on: December 16, 2015, 09:30:16 AM »

Unfortunately I can speak from experience on this one. I've seen it happen both in a personal setting and at work. I get a bad taste just thinking about some examples. Luckily I have plenty of friends who don't show this behaviour :).

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11593 on: December 16, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »

*shrug* I look at my phone while hanging out with my husband and in-laws. They do too. And we converse at the same time. The conversation then also includes "haha hey guys listen to this joke" and similar, since jokes make up a significant proportion of what's on FB & Twitter.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #11594 on: December 16, 2015, 12:19:55 PM »
A just overheard a coworker loudly complaining that the 401k system is a scam and is going to crash before anybody here is able to retire.

CW: "I've been dumping money into my 401k for EVER and I still don't have shit."
Me: Well how much do you contribute?
CW: 10% [our company has a variable match depending on time with the company but it starts at 4.5% after 6 months and caps out at 8.5% after 20 years]

All I could think was "If you need 90% of your pay to live now, how would you expect 10% to be able to support you in retirement?"
I mean, If you work for 40 years and retire for 20 years and die then (and this is extremely simplified and neglects gains and inflation for estimation purposes) you still need to be able to live on 67% or less of your take-home pay, saving the other 33% in order to maintain the same standard of living. Expecting to work for 20 years and retire for 40-60 years while only saving 10% of your earned pay while working is just absolutely astonishingly ignorant, am I right?

And then he turned around and blamed the company and the government for not being responsible enough to support him in his old age when he is no longer able to work ... it just made my blood boil. I had to bow out of the conversation to prevent calling somebody much more respected in the company than myself a complete idiot in a group setting ...

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11595 on: December 16, 2015, 12:36:27 PM »
A just overheard a coworker loudly complaining that the 401k system is a scam and is going to crash before anybody here is able to retire.

CW: "I've been dumping money into my 401k for EVER and I still don't have shit."
CW: 10% [our company has a variable match depending on time with the company but it starts at 4.5% after 6 months and caps out at 8.5% after 20 years]

All I could think was "If you need 90% of your pay to live now, how would you expect 10% to be able to support you in retirement?"
I mean, If you work for 40 years and retire for 20 years and die then (and this is extremely simplified and neglects gains and inflation for estimation purposes) you still need to be able to live on 67% or less of your take-home pay, saving the other 33% in order to maintain the same standard of living. Expecting to work for 20 years and retire for 40-60 years while only saving 10% of your earned pay while working is just absolutely astonishingly ignorant, am I right?

And then he turned around and blamed the company and the government for not being responsible enough to support him in his old age when he is no longer able to work ... it just made my blood boil. I had to bow out of the conversation to prevent calling somebody much more respected in the company than myself a complete idiot in a group setting ...
The current idea from most financial planner is that a man saving 10% from 25-65 should have enough from 65 to death if you include social security.  They advise 15% for women for the same time period.  Keep in mind once you retire you won't pay FICA, taxes may be less, "work expenses" are less for the majority (they eat out etc). 

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #11596 on: December 16, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »

The current idea from most financial planner is that a man saving 10% from 25-65 should have enough from 65 to death if you include social security.  They advise 15% for women for the same time period.  Keep in mind once you retire you won't pay FICA, taxes may be less, "work expenses" are less for the majority (they eat out etc).
It might have something to do with the fact that this guy constantly bashes on millennials for the "sense of entitlement" and "want[ing] everything handed to them without having to work for it," but to hear somebody actually get angry over having to take responsibility for his own retirement ... it just blows my mind. I'm only 24 so all I have ever known about retirement is that I have to be responsible for my own if I want to be absolutely sure that it will be properly funded.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #11597 on: December 16, 2015, 02:02:26 PM »
[...] all I have ever known about retirement is that I have to be responsible for my own if I want to be absolutely sure that it will be properly funded.

Fuck. Yes.

(also...great name).
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

tikimama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11598 on: December 16, 2015, 02:05:08 PM »
I went out to lunch with two COs last week (I know, facepunch, but some days you need a drink or three to get through the day. Next time I'll make my own cocktail in the office.). They both probably make $120-150K (2+x my salary). Talk turned to money and how much eating out costs (I often give them a hard time because they go out 5 days a week for lunch). Coworker talked about how he eats out 2-3 meals a DAY every week, and I asked if he tracked his restaurant spending out of morbid curiosity. He said he was too scared to find out. My low ballpark estimate is $700 a week. But it is probably more because cocktails!

I also revealed somewhat shamefacedly that I only contribute 10% to my 401k (the company matches 6%) and they were both impressed I could contribute "so much"("I couldn't live with that much taken out!") I think I like them better than you guys, they make me feel more frugal.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11599 on: December 16, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »

It might have something to do with the fact that this guy constantly bashes on millennials for the "sense of entitlement" and "want[ing] everything handed to them without having to work for it," but to hear somebody actually get angry over having to take responsibility for his own retirement ... it just blows my mind. I'm only 24 so all I have ever known about retirement is that I have to be responsible for my own if I want to be absolutely sure that it will be properly funded.

Yup, I'm a 28 year old and I find that's the older folk that are more of complainypants about the economy, weather, kids, investment, retirement, ect. My thought is, "If only you had decades to plan ahead...oh wait, you fucking did!" When someone my age complains, I have a little more sympathy because I know that without some lucky breaks, I may be in their shoes..and most of the people I know that are complaining are actively trying to do something about it (can't get a job in their chosen field, they work at whatever job they can to try to pay the bills while looking for better jobs).