Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253303 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #11450 on: December 15, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
Bratty of me but...as a going away present, my team got me a bottle of wine and crystal decanter. 

It's a gift.....

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11451 on: December 15, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »
Even the top 2 networks (Verizon and AT&T) have $30 plans with data and all of that stuff. No excuses haha.
Having looked at AT&T's plans, I'm not sure where you're seeing it.  IIRC, AT&T is $20/phone, *plus* you are required to have a data plan (a minimum of $30/mo). Each additional phone is $20.  So for my wife and me to get AT&T, it would be $70.  Verizon is similar.  So is T-mobile.

I meant through the MVNOs (Page Plus and H2O). For $31.50 per month, you get 500 MB and unlimited slow data after on H2O (AT&T). Totally a good deal IMO. Definitely a better network than the other, and yes, I will pay $1.50 more per month so I have reception in the mountainous areas where my grandparents live haha.

Coincidentally, today I received an email notice from AT&T that they are increasing the cost of my unlimited data plan from $30 to $35:

We'd like to thank you for your business and share an upcoming change. Beginning February 2016, we'll be increasing the price of your unlimited data plan by $5 per month — our first increase in 7 years.

I'm bummed about the increase, but it was a good long run for 7 years.  Plus, my employer fully reimburses me regardless :-)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:33:54 PM by LeRainDrop »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11452 on: December 15, 2015, 08:40:25 PM »
Co-worker was telling me about how her new truck has air conditioned seats. I didn't even know such a thing existed. This is the big ass gas guzzler that is too expensive to drive so she bought a used small car to commute to work. But hey! When she does drive it her ass is going to be nice and cool.

I have been sweating my butt off for the last couple of days (respiratory infection + fever + medication side effect + apartment heated to nearly 80 degrees because the super is crazy) and right now I would probably be willing to pay to get this installed in my couch and/or bed.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11453 on: December 15, 2015, 10:28:36 PM »
Co-worker was telling me about how her new truck has air conditioned seats. I didn't even know such a thing existed. This is the big ass gas guzzler that is too expensive to drive so she bought a used small car to commute to work. But hey! When she does drive it her ass is going to be nice and cool.

I have been sweating my butt off for the last couple of days (respiratory infection + fever + medication side effect + apartment heated to nearly 80 degrees because the super is crazy) and right now I would probably be willing to pay to get this installed in my couch and/or bed.

In theory, air conditioned seats could use less energy by more effectively cooling the driver.  Think of how a heating blanket could let you turn your thermostat down (although in internal combustion cars, heat is typically "free")

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11454 on: December 16, 2015, 04:32:07 AM »
A co-worker and I were talking about early retirement. He threw out that he would bow out at about $6 million because that would give him about $350k/year, which should be just enough to cover his expenses.

I said, "Wow I wouldn't even know how to spend that much money each year." His response: "I would. In fact I practically already do." FYI, there's no way this guy makes >$200k per year on average. I just let the conversation die at this point. What can you say?
You should have commented to him that he actually needs $9M saved then based on $350K/yr of expenses.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11455 on: December 16, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
Bratty of me but...as a going away present, my team got me a bottle of wine and crystal decanter.  Nice bottle, beautiful decanter.  I'd guess $150+ but the thing is I would have preferred cash, an Amazon gift card, or hell something with a gift receipt I could return for useful items. After all my talk about decluttering, minimalism, experiences over things and I got something I will never use and will be a pain in the ass to sell because it's super fragile.  Good thing they threw in the wine!

That was a revenge gift - buying you something that they like and you'd never buy for yourself... ;)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11456 on: December 16, 2015, 08:15:05 AM »

Open a window? ;)

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #11457 on: December 16, 2015, 08:25:51 AM »
Related financial tie-in: I don't have data so unless there's wifi, no internet for me. Both of these coworkers have big data plans through major carriers and constantly complain about the price. One pays for her daughter and son-in-law's phones (the daughter is older than I am) and the other has a smart phone for at least his 15 year old son, possibly the 9 year old daughter too. When I mention my $12/line phone bill they say "Must be nice" like I got lucky to get that deal. The woman says Sprint has messed up her phone bill every month for something like 6 months now and she has to call each time to get it fixed (extra crazy since Sprints coverage isn't that great here). PagePlus hasn't messed mine up once.

You might get shot down with this, but I like to play the phone game at a meal:

Everyone puts their phone at the center of the table.
The first person to retrieve their phone before the meal is over (define this clearly - whether it's when people are getting up to leave, when the check has arrived, etc.) loses.
Whoever loses pays the entire bill for everyone.
Otherwise, everyone wins and you each pay for what you ordered.
I've heard of that but since I'm rarely out to eat with anyone besides DH I usually don't need it. And it this meal the other two had already agreed to split the check to treat me so it would have ended up the same

There is also the added benefit of not having people check their smartphone every few minutes.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11458 on: December 16, 2015, 08:37:35 AM »
Related financial tie-in: I don't have data so unless there's wifi, no internet for me. Both of these coworkers have big data plans through major carriers and constantly complain about the price. One pays for her daughter and son-in-law's phones (the daughter is older than I am) and the other has a smart phone for at least his 15 year old son, possibly the 9 year old daughter too. When I mention my $12/line phone bill they say "Must be nice" like I got lucky to get that deal. The woman says Sprint has messed up her phone bill every month for something like 6 months now and she has to call each time to get it fixed (extra crazy since Sprints coverage isn't that great here). PagePlus hasn't messed mine up once.

The first person to retrieve their phone before the meal is over (define this clearly - whether it's when people are getting up to leave, when the check has arrived, etc.) loses.
I've heard of that but since I'm rarely out to eat with anyone besides DH I usually don't need it. And it this meal the other two had already agreed to split the check to treat me so it would have ended up the same

There is also the added benefit of not having people check their smartphone every few minutes.

I hear people complaining about this all the time and all I have to ask, what sort of friends do you have? I'm 28, perfect age for this type of behavior and don't see it. When I'm eating with friends, we are talking, the only time someone pulls out their phone if they receive a phone call/text or if they are looking something up (like a fact relating to the conversation).

Maybe I'm the lucky one that has friends that value face-to-face conversation. Rather I suspect that this has just become a meme that people repeat over and over again, until they beat it to death.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11459 on: December 16, 2015, 08:50:12 AM »
I hear people complaining about this all the time and all I have to ask, what sort of friends do you have? I'm 28, perfect age for this type of behavior and don't see it. When I'm eating with friends, we are talking, the only time someone pulls out their phone if they receive a phone call/text or if they are looking something up (like a fact relating to the conversation).

Maybe I'm the lucky one that has friends that value face-to-face conversation. Rather I suspect that this has just become a meme that people repeat over and over again, until they beat it to death.

Maybe you are just young enough to be used to it then, but I don't think it's cool when everyone starts pulling out their phones to check texts, reeddit, etc.

I'm 31, not much older than you, but I sure as hell recall going to dinner with family/friends and people not checking their phones.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11460 on: December 16, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »
Even the top 2 networks (Verizon and AT&T) have $30 plans with data and all of that stuff. No excuses haha.
Having looked at AT&T's plans, I'm not sure where you're seeing it.  IIRC, AT&T is $20/phone, *plus* you are required to have a data plan (a minimum of $30/mo). Each additional phone is $20.  So for my wife and me to get AT&T, it would be $70.  Verizon is similar.  So is T-mobile.

I meant through the MVNOs (Page Plus and H2O). For $31.50 per month, you get 500 MB and unlimited slow data after on H2O (AT&T). Totally a good deal IMO. Definitely a better network than the other, and yes, I will pay $1.50 more per month so I have reception in the mountainous areas where my grandparents live haha.

T-Mobile has a direct $30/month plan. Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB, but even my husband who never even turns on the wifi on his phone because "battery issues" doesn't use that much) but only 100 minutes. He's not a big talker and generally uses Google Voice at home, so it works for him. In my area, after taxes it's like $33.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans?clickid=WLWyM202mUvQR%3A4112zzGyJ5UkXSHlSHOQJ%3A0U0&iradid=189313&cmpid=WTR_AF_189313&irpid=38664&irgwc=1

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #11461 on: December 16, 2015, 09:30:16 AM »

Unfortunately I can speak from experience on this one. I've seen it happen both in a personal setting and at work. I get a bad taste just thinking about some examples. Luckily I have plenty of friends who don't show this behaviour :).

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11462 on: December 16, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »

*shrug* I look at my phone while hanging out with my husband and in-laws. They do too. And we converse at the same time. The conversation then also includes "haha hey guys listen to this joke" and similar, since jokes make up a significant proportion of what's on FB & Twitter.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #11463 on: December 16, 2015, 12:19:55 PM »
A just overheard a coworker loudly complaining that the 401k system is a scam and is going to crash before anybody here is able to retire.

CW: "I've been dumping money into my 401k for EVER and I still don't have shit."
Me: Well how much do you contribute?
CW: 10% [our company has a variable match depending on time with the company but it starts at 4.5% after 6 months and caps out at 8.5% after 20 years]

All I could think was "If you need 90% of your pay to live now, how would you expect 10% to be able to support you in retirement?"
I mean, If you work for 40 years and retire for 20 years and die then (and this is extremely simplified and neglects gains and inflation for estimation purposes) you still need to be able to live on 67% or less of your take-home pay, saving the other 33% in order to maintain the same standard of living. Expecting to work for 20 years and retire for 40-60 years while only saving 10% of your earned pay while working is just absolutely astonishingly ignorant, am I right?

And then he turned around and blamed the company and the government for not being responsible enough to support him in his old age when he is no longer able to work ... it just made my blood boil. I had to bow out of the conversation to prevent calling somebody much more respected in the company than myself a complete idiot in a group setting ...

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11464 on: December 16, 2015, 12:36:27 PM »
A just overheard a coworker loudly complaining that the 401k system is a scam and is going to crash before anybody here is able to retire.

CW: "I've been dumping money into my 401k for EVER and I still don't have shit."
CW: 10% [our company has a variable match depending on time with the company but it starts at 4.5% after 6 months and caps out at 8.5% after 20 years]

All I could think was "If you need 90% of your pay to live now, how would you expect 10% to be able to support you in retirement?"
I mean, If you work for 40 years and retire for 20 years and die then (and this is extremely simplified and neglects gains and inflation for estimation purposes) you still need to be able to live on 67% or less of your take-home pay, saving the other 33% in order to maintain the same standard of living. Expecting to work for 20 years and retire for 40-60 years while only saving 10% of your earned pay while working is just absolutely astonishingly ignorant, am I right?

And then he turned around and blamed the company and the government for not being responsible enough to support him in his old age when he is no longer able to work ... it just made my blood boil. I had to bow out of the conversation to prevent calling somebody much more respected in the company than myself a complete idiot in a group setting ...
The current idea from most financial planner is that a man saving 10% from 25-65 should have enough from 65 to death if you include social security.  They advise 15% for women for the same time period.  Keep in mind once you retire you won't pay FICA, taxes may be less, "work expenses" are less for the majority (they eat out etc). 

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #11465 on: December 16, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »

The current idea from most financial planner is that a man saving 10% from 25-65 should have enough from 65 to death if you include social security.  They advise 15% for women for the same time period.  Keep in mind once you retire you won't pay FICA, taxes may be less, "work expenses" are less for the majority (they eat out etc).
It might have something to do with the fact that this guy constantly bashes on millennials for the "sense of entitlement" and "want[ing] everything handed to them without having to work for it," but to hear somebody actually get angry over having to take responsibility for his own retirement ... it just blows my mind. I'm only 24 so all I have ever known about retirement is that I have to be responsible for my own if I want to be absolutely sure that it will be properly funded.

jordanread

« Reply #11466 on: December 16, 2015, 02:02:26 PM »
[...] all I have ever known about retirement is that I have to be responsible for my own if I want to be absolutely sure that it will be properly funded.

Fuck. Yes.

(also...great name).

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11467 on: December 16, 2015, 02:05:08 PM »
I went out to lunch with two COs last week (I know, facepunch, but some days you need a drink or three to get through the day. Next time I'll make my own cocktail in the office.). They both probably make $120-150K (2+x my salary). Talk turned to money and how much eating out costs (I often give them a hard time because they go out 5 days a week for lunch). Coworker talked about how he eats out 2-3 meals a DAY every week, and I asked if he tracked his restaurant spending out of morbid curiosity. He said he was too scared to find out. My low ballpark estimate is $700 a week. But it is probably more because cocktails!

I also revealed somewhat shamefacedly that I only contribute 10% to my 401k (the company matches 6%) and they were both impressed I could contribute "so much"("I couldn't live with that much taken out!") I think I like them better than you guys, they make me feel more frugal.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11468 on: December 16, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »

It might have something to do with the fact that this guy constantly bashes on millennials for the "sense of entitlement" and "want[ing] everything handed to them without having to work for it," but to hear somebody actually get angry over having to take responsibility for his own retirement ... it just blows my mind. I'm only 24 so all I have ever known about retirement is that I have to be responsible for my own if I want to be absolutely sure that it will be properly funded.

Yup, I'm a 28 year old and I find that's the older folk that are more of complainypants about the economy, weather, kids, investment, retirement, ect. My thought is, "If only you had decades to plan ahead...oh wait, you fucking did!" When someone my age complains, I have a little more sympathy because I know that without some lucky breaks, I may be in their shoes..and most of the people I know that are complaining are actively trying to do something about it (can't get a job in their chosen field, they work at whatever job they can to try to pay the bills while looking for better jobs).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11469 on: December 16, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »

Yup, I'm a 28 year old and I find that's the older folk that are more of complainypants about the economy, weather, kids, investment, retirement, ect. My thought is, "If only you had decades to plan ahead...oh wait, you fucking did!" When someone my age complains, I have a little more sympathy because I know that without some lucky breaks, I may be in their shoes..and most of the people I know that are complaining are actively trying to do something about it (can't get a job in their chosen field, they work at whatever job they can to try to pay the bills while looking for better jobs).
I'm 37, and get off my lawn! *reaches for cane* You dem durn Mallurnialz all want a damn trophy for breathing, maybe you should breathe less!

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11470 on: December 16, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »

Unfortunately I can speak from experience on this one. I've seen it happen both in a personal setting and at work. I get a bad taste just thinking about some examples. Luckily I have plenty of friends who don't show this behaviour :).

Agreed. If some tool can't put the phone down for an hour to have lunch, that'll be the last time we eat lunch together. There isn't a rule that you have to respond to texts immediately, they can wait. There also isn't a rule that you have to twiddle around on facebook looking at baby pics and cat memes 5x a day. Save it for the crapper. It's not multi-tasking, it's rude.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11471 on: December 16, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »

Agreed. If some tool can't put the phone down for an hour to have lunch, that'll be the last time we eat lunch together. There isn't a rule that you have to respond to texts immediately, they can wait. There also isn't a rule that you have to twiddle around on facebook looking at baby pics and cat memes 5x a day. Save it for the crapper. It's not multi-tasking, it's rude.

I completely agree, I was on a coffee date a day ago and made sure to put my phone on silent so as to not be distracted and avoid any temptation to look.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11472 on: December 16, 2015, 06:39:32 PM »
There also isn't a rule that you have to twiddle around on facebook looking at baby pics and cat memes 5x a day. Save it for the crapper.

What if you poop 5x a day? Asking for a friend

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #11473 on: December 16, 2015, 07:22:03 PM »
Rolled up to work in my Ranger that has hauled more shit than it was designed for.  Couldn't help but park next to this monstrosity to compare sizes.  I lost apparently...

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11474 on: December 16, 2015, 10:54:04 PM »
Rolled up to work in my Ranger that has hauled more shit than it was designed for.  Couldn't help but park next to this monstrosity to compare sizes.  I lost apparently...

hahahaah!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #11475 on: December 16, 2015, 10:57:16 PM »

OMG tell me that's photoshopped.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11476 on: December 16, 2015, 11:18:31 PM »
Rolled up to work in my Ranger that has hauled more shit than it was designed for.  Couldn't help but park next to this monstrosity to compare sizes. I lost apparently...

Nah, mate. You win. :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11477 on: December 17, 2015, 01:46:21 AM »
OMFG

Is that the F250 I read so much about here?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11478 on: December 17, 2015, 04:39:57 AM »
OMFG

I think that's the F250 Super Duty. The 350, 450, and 550 have 4 back wheels, while this only has 2.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #11479 on: December 17, 2015, 06:50:39 AM »
Background: I'm a train commuter, which is awesome except for the fact that the train only runs during rush hour.  I have a colleague who recently "gave up" on the train because she wanted (not needed, just wanted) a more flexible schedule, so instead of paying $105/month for the train like I do, she pays $240/month for parking (!!!), plus gas, car wear & tear etc.

Yesterday I got an emergency call from daycare to pick up my daughter (she's ok).  My retired mom is often available for these kind of things, but I couldn't reach her, and the train wasn't running so I had to suck it up and take a $50 cab ride to daycare.  It's the first time in 3+ years of being a working parent that this has happened.

My colleague was like OMG! That's so expensive! I'm so glad I drive!!

I just didn't even know what to say.  Even if I had to do this 3 times per month, I'd still be coming out ahead of her in transportation expenses.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11480 on: December 17, 2015, 06:55:58 AM »

Just curious, do you live somewhere where heavy duty trucks are not available?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11481 on: December 17, 2015, 07:37:07 AM »
OMFG
I think that's the F250 Super Duty. The 350, 450, and 550 have 4 back wheels, while this only has 2.
The F250 is pretty much a standard commuting vehicle at my workplace. If only I'd known a mere picture of one outside the office would amuse this group so much. Hell, there are entire sections of the lot where trucks this size line up. Typically, they're driven 10-30 miles each way, all week long, loaded to the gills... with a 250# human and a briefcase.

My inability to locate my compact car in a sea of these things is one reason for parking in the far corner of the lot. Getting extra walking time and avoiding door dings are also relevant.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:38:44 AM by zephyr911 »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #11482 on: December 17, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »

Yeah Maigahane you completely missed the takeaway point of the game. The point is to get people NOT to take out their phone. It isn't to try to get a free meal.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11483 on: December 17, 2015, 08:26:58 AM »
Now have heard two stories of grown men who never left home who can't afford to retire within the past month.

Never had a mortgage, never had kids to pay for, just had to go to work, pockets their paycheck, etc.

The one inherited everything his parents had and still went broke.

Other one also has inherited everything, likes his job, strongly dislikes his chain of command (civilian, decent paying job working for the state) and can't retire b/c he doesn't have enough saved up despite having a pension.

I can't figure these guys out. Neither had the sometimes common obsession with big boy toys.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11484 on: December 17, 2015, 08:58:15 AM »
I can't figure these guys out. Neither had the sometimes common obsession with big boy toys.

Sometimes people spend all that they earn. Perhaps they have a drug habit or gambling problem that you are unaware of?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11485 on: December 17, 2015, 09:54:42 AM »

Sometimes people spend all that they earn. Perhaps they have a drug habit or gambling problem that you are unaware of?
Sometimes they believe the bank adverts that say you need $2M in a savings account to retire

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11486 on: December 17, 2015, 09:55:23 AM »
The F250 is pretty much a standard commuting vehicle at my workplace. If only I'd known a mere picture of one outside the office would amuse this group so much. Hell, there are entire sections of the lot where trucks this size line up. Typically, they're driven 10-30 miles each way, all week long, loaded to the gills... with a 250# human and a briefcase.

My inability to locate my compact car in a sea of these things is one reason for parking in the far corner of the lot. Getting extra walking time and avoiding door dings are also relevant.

I feel like maybe this response would be better served in the Mustachian People Problems thread, but this has been a pet peeve of mine for...well, probably since I started driving.

I've always driven smaller cars, and it annoys me so much when I end up parking next to a truck or SUV. The reason? I basically have to blindly back out of the spot because there's no possible way to see anything around these monstrous vehicles.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11487 on: December 17, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
Background: I'm a train commuter, which is awesome except for the fact that the train only runs during rush hour.  I have a colleague who recently "gave up" on the train because she wanted (not needed, just wanted) a more flexible schedule, so instead of paying $105/month for the train like I do, she pays $240/month for parking (!!!), plus gas, car wear & tear etc.

Yesterday I got an emergency call from daycare to pick up my daughter (she's ok).  My retired mom is often available for these kind of things, but I couldn't reach her, and the train wasn't running so I had to suck it up and take a $50 cab ride to daycare.  It's the first time in 3+ years of being a working parent that this has happened.

I just didn't even know what to say.  Even if I had to do this 3 times per month, I'd still be coming out ahead of her in transportation expenses.

A lot of us metros even have an "emergency ride home" service where they reimburse you in such situations

Eg http://www.sfenvironment.org/transportation/sustainable-commuting-programs/emergency-ride-home

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #11488 on: December 17, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »
I've always driven smaller cars, and it annoys me so much when I end up parking next to a truck or SUV. The reason? I basically have to blindly back out of the spot because there's no possible way to see anything around these monstrous vehicles.

Also the drivers of those behemoths like to drive around with their fog lights on EVEN WHEN IT'S NOT FOGGY, adding to the blinding light that hits your rear view mirror in a lower vehicle. Must be part of the LAM (LOOK AT ME!) syndrome that goes along with the unnecessarily large vehicle mounted on ridiculously tall tires.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #11489 on: December 17, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »

A lot of us metros even have an "emergency ride home" service where they reimburse you in such situations

Eg http://www.sfenvironment.org/transportation/sustainable-commuting-programs/emergency-ride-home

That's awesome! I've never heard of that for my city but I will look into it! Thanks.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #11490 on: December 17, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »

I feel like maybe this response would be better served in the Mustachian People Problems thread, but this has been a pet peeve of mine for...well, probably since I started driving.

To chime in on the complaining about SUVs, this morning I was driving to work and while trying to pull out across traffic I had to pause in a gap between lanes to wait for a space in the lane I wished to join. A car was already waiting there with the same idea so I staggered myself slightly further back to make sure we could both see. An SUV then tried to join us but pulled forwards in line with the first car, completely preventing both of us from seeing down the road we wanted to join and then waited. And waited. And gesticulated angrily. And waved at us and sounded her horn. There seemed to be no awareness that she was the problem. The driver of the other car and I shared a look.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #11491 on: December 17, 2015, 11:25:14 AM »
Sometimes they believe the bank adverts that say you need $2M in a savings account to retire

My office had a 401(k) update presentation yesterday. As soon as I realized they weren't telling us about any changes in our plan and were just talking about investment strategies, I stopped paying attention and worked on other stuff. Apparently if I had listened, I would have walked away with a gold mine for this forum! While I was preparing my lunch, I overheard one person say that they learned from the presentation that $2M would only last you 14 years in our HCOL area. Even if you stick it in a checking account making practically no interest, that would still give you ~$143k per year!

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #11492 on: December 17, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »
Misread.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:32:43 PM by dsmexpat »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11493 on: December 17, 2015, 11:34:02 AM »
As long as we're on the topic, a guy in a full-size truck damn near backed over me the other night. In a parking lot. Crawling past him with my lights on.
Sitting up high doesn't make you safer... it just makes you a got-dam menace.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11494 on: December 17, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »
give you ~$143k per year!

Perhaps that how much they are currently spending....

It makes sense that businesses and investment companies want people to be scared and think that they need to save more because they lead to either

a. People say screw it and just spend all they have on unnecessary crap
b. They agree to pay high fees to get actively managed funds that make their advisers rich.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11495 on: December 17, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
I overheard one person say that they learned from the presentation that $2M would only last you 14 years in our HCOL area. Even if you stick it in a checking account making practically no interest, that would still give you ~$143k per year!

One too many zeroes there Gen Y Finance Journey. A checking account does not pay 7% interest.

They're saying that their coworker's statement that $2M would only last 14 years is silly because that's almost $143k/year even without any interest ($2M/14years =  $142.9k/year). They're not saying that $2M would earn you that much in interest which would indeed take just over 7% interest as you say.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #11496 on: December 17, 2015, 12:33:38 PM »
I'm too used to assuming that we never touch the principal and live off of the returns. I need to get out of the MMM echo chamber more clearly.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11497 on: December 17, 2015, 12:42:56 PM »
I overheard one person say that they learned from the presentation that $2M would only last you 14 years in our HCOL area. Even if you stick it in a checking account making practically no interest, that would still give you ~$143k per year!

One too many zeroes there Gen Y Finance Journey. A checking account does not pay 7% interest.

They're saying that their coworker's statement that $2M would only last 14 years is silly because that's almost $143k/year even without any interest ($2M/14years =  $142.9k/year). They're not saying that $2M would earn you that much in interest which would indeed take just over 7% interest as you say.

What's silly is that let's say their expenses are $143,000 a year. That should still last them more than 14 years due to their investment returns. Their first year they should figure that they are pulling about 63,000 out of principal (2% of $2m is $80k). I haven't calculated how long it would take them to completely draw the money out, but if they are going to spend it in 14 years...I hope they are having the time of their lives. I'm picturing them renting an insane yacht and dining on caviar and lobsters and hiring top-end hookers by the score.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #11498 on: December 17, 2015, 01:15:34 PM »
Misread.

I could have been clearer :)

I just can't imagine how anyone, even here, could only make it 14 years on $2M. I make considerably less than $143k/year, and my husband is a soon-to-be SAHP (hasn't been working for the past 5 months already), and we're still able to save money. WTF are these people spending so much money on?!?!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11499 on: December 17, 2015, 01:18:45 PM »

Just curious, do you live somewhere where heavy duty trucks are not available?
Eastern Germany.
As far as I know there are exactly 3 cars of this type, but not that big, in this 30000 city.

I do have seen a few Urals from the farmers, but not in the last years.