Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253029 times)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #11150 on: November 06, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »
This is whats wrong with the world today.  You people baby your offspring.  How are they going to learn to eat spicy foods in the REAL WORLD like a boss?  What you're really doing is sending them out into life unprepared.  Whatcha gonna do when 19-year old Johnny goes to his first margarita college party and gets a little jalepeno in his eye during the guacamole mudwrestling contest?  Flush it with saline from your giant purse?

*read in the voice of George Carlin

This is no joke! I get teased for being a wuss about spicy foods to this day because my parents never fed them to me when I was little.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #11151 on: November 06, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
Oh, this is a gem.

CW: "I need this shirt to wear on Thanksgiving: 'Outta My Way, It's Black Friday!'"

I gave the look of o_O, but they couldn't see me.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11152 on: November 06, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »
This is whats wrong with the world today.  You people baby your offspring.  How are they going to learn to eat spicy foods in the REAL WORLD like a boss? 
That's why I tried to make sure my brothers children could tell the difference between different espresso grounds when they were 5
- strangely they aren't allowed to stay with me anymore....

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11153 on: November 06, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »
The topic of 401k came up at work today (I've been here ~6 weeks and need to figure out who to talk to so my final check puts me at $18k exactly) and my coworker was unaware there was such a thing as a 401k limit.

:(

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11154 on: November 06, 2015, 12:50:05 PM »
I just fished a dozen bagels out of the trash and got caught doing it...

In all fairness they were fresh this morning, management brought in 3 dozen for a meeting in the office, meetings over and they came out after I'm done eating lunch and chucked the leftover box of a dozen plus the cream cheese, into the trash can.  It's a dozen perfectly good, not stale bagels that can go in my freezer.  They walked out, I assumed to go to lunch so I went in the kitchen and fished the box out, just as one of the VPs walked in.  I looked at him...he looked at me and all I could get out was a fairly high pitched "What?  I'm not letting perfectly good food go in a dumpster"  He gave me a weird look and just shrugged.  I think I have upped my already fairly high office weirdo rating a wee bit more.

For future reference, next time say you like going to the park to feed the ducks.

That would be perfect except there is no park with water, or any water in general outside of retention ponds, for a good 45 minute drive from my office.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11155 on: November 06, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »

In all fairness they were fresh this morning, management brought in 3 dozen for a meeting in the office, meetings over and they came out after I'm done eating lunch and chucked the leftover box of a dozen plus the cream cheese, into the trash can.  It's a dozen perfectly good, not stale bagels that can go in my freezer.  They walked out, I assumed to go to lunch so I went in the kitchen and fished the box out, just as one of the VPs walked in.  I looked at him...he looked at me and all I could get out was a fairly high pitched "What?  I'm not letting perfectly good food go in a dumpster"  He gave me a weird look and just shrugged.  I think I have upped my already fairly high office weirdo rating a wee bit more.

For future reference, next time say you like going to the park to feed the ducks.

That would be perfect except there is no park with water, or any water in general outside of retention ponds, for a good 45 minute drive from my office.
Pigeons, then.  Or your friend's pet whatever (rabbit, buzzard, hedgehog), the more exotic the better.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11156 on: November 06, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »

Fishing trip.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11157 on: November 06, 2015, 01:34:08 PM »
OMG! What are you people doing to guacamole?! What in the actual fuck is a guacamole seasoning packet?!

Avocados. Tomatoes. Lime juice. Salt. Jalapenos. Onion. Garlic. A freaking pinch of stupid cilantro, if you must, but it is super unnecessary because most people think they become Bobby Flay by dumping cilantro onto anything, and then say, "Look, we're having Mexican food!" Bah!

Okay, I'm done.

:)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11158 on: November 06, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »
TIL: There are many different ways to make guacamole.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #11159 on: November 07, 2015, 09:35:12 AM »
I work an entry level social services job. My co-worker, who makes under 30,000/year, bought a new charger about 6 weeks ago. I'm not sure what year but definitely at least a 2013. She immediately starts complaining about how she doesn't like it and wants a different car.  This week I spotted her Acura key ring. Yep. Traded it in and rolled it into a new loan.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11160 on: November 07, 2015, 10:09:33 AM »
I work an entry level social services job. My co-worker, who makes under 30,000/year, bought a new charger about 6 weeks ago. I'm not sure what year but definitely at least a 2013. She immediately starts complaining about how she doesn't like it and wants a different car.  This week I spotted her Acura key ring. Yep. Traded it in and rolled it into a new loan.

I see people who do this all the time and it blows my mind!

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11161 on: November 07, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »

Is it likely she bought these cars with her own money?  Doesn't sound like she earns enough.

medinaj2160

• Stubble
« Reply #11162 on: November 07, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
Well my coworker bought a 2007 corvette then sold it becuase he has family of 5 and he needs a back seat :/, he probably only had the vette for about 2 months. Than he bough an 2013 Acura ILX which I really liked i though it was better for him and his family. Then two weeks later he shows up in a 2011 camaro ss :0...... He said that the ILX wasn't manly enough. I think he has issues or something.

He is about 35 and he had no 401k I suggested that he should start investing and he did but later he wanted to buy a house so he pull the money from his 401k (it had to be less than 2k) for the house down payment....

Suncoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11163 on: November 08, 2015, 05:02:01 AM »
Well my coworker bought a 2007 corvette then sold it becuase he has family of 5 and he needs a back seat :/, he probably only had the vette for about 2 months. Than he bough an 2013 Acura ILX which I really liked i though it was better for him and his family. Then two weeks later he shows up in a 2011 camaro ss :0...... He said that the ILX wasn't manly enough. I think he has issues or something.

He is about 35 and he had no 401k I suggested that he should start investing and he did but later he wanted to buy a house so he pull the money from his 401k (it had to be less than 2k) for the house down payment....

I can't imagine going through the headache of the car purchase process 3 times in the span of a few months...even if I was paying cash.  Of course, I suspect your co-worker was not paying cash.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #11164 on: November 08, 2015, 06:30:09 PM »

Is it likely she bought these cars with her own money?  Doesn't sound like she earns enough.

I kept my mouth shut because I wouldn't be able to get more info without my opinion showing. . . who knows, I wondered about parental help, or maybe her boyfriend is helping her. There are also plenty of shady car places that love to finance around here. She's a bit of a train wreck to watch lately, she's been talking all week about wanting to have a baby with said boyfriend, who she's been with since about July. She already has a three year old. She sits near me and I can hear her all day.

I mean I know I can't afford a new car on our salary. But people are strange.

BarbeRiche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BarbeRiche
« Reply #11165 on: November 08, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »
A co-worker who messed up his credit score a few years ago got out of debt which is  great. 

The other day, he was talking about the best ways to increase credit score...so he could get the best interest rate on a new car loan.

I was a bit surprised at how fast that person was willing to go back in debts.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11166 on: November 09, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »
Our health insurance at work is moving from "everyone has the same plan" to "select your plan from a corporate exchange".

It's amazing how many people can spend hours memorizing obscure stats and relationships for fantasy football, but can't spend twenty minutes figuring out the difference between the Bronze and Gold plans.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #11167 on: November 09, 2015, 07:58:52 AM »

I kept my mouth shut because I wouldn't be able to get more info without my opinion showing. . . who knows, I wondered about parental help, or maybe her boyfriend is helping her. There are also plenty of shady car places that love to finance around here. She's a bit of a train wreck to watch lately, she's been talking all week about wanting to have a baby with said boyfriend, who she's been with since about July. She already has a three year old. She sits near me and I can hear her all day.

I mean I know I can't afford a new car on our salary. But people are strange.
She's been dating this man for less than half a year, and already wants him to plant a small human in her?  Strange is not the word I would have chosen.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11168 on: November 09, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »

I have a few friends who do this kind of dumb shit. The fundamentally incomprehensible thing is justifying the undoing of Decision A via new Decision B, based on Factor X that predates Decision A. How can someone be so totally oblivious to their own desires or basic conditions in their lives?

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11169 on: November 09, 2015, 10:35:49 AM »

I read this and thought "charger" was like a charger for your phone.  I then wondered how you could tell the year of a phone/laptop charger, and what was particularly flashy and unnecessary about it.  Then I read car and was like ohhhhhh!  I had to go back and reread from the beginning now picturing a car.  Can you tell I'm not a car person?  Hope I wasn't the only person out there who does this sort of thing...

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #11170 on: November 09, 2015, 10:37:09 AM »

All the more reason to say it!!!!

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #11171 on: November 09, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »

At my workplace, meeting leftovers get put on a table in the common area, and cause a feeding frenzy. People call to each other or send email, "Pastries in the commons", "Mexican food out", "Donuts!", and the stuff is usually gone pretty fast. But I'll snatch up condiments left behind, those containers of cream cheese are the best! I have a large one from Panera in my fridge right now.

I use to love it when they would have BBQ.  The local places would provide 3-4 quart size containers of different sauces.  I'd consolidate them at the end of the day and eventually use them to do slow cooker BBQ at home. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11172 on: November 09, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
I've listened to an entire morning's worth of conversations about how awesome this CW's new truck is. He traded an F150 worth $25K for a new F250 to pull an RV (also just purchased). He and his wife both drive 20+ miles to work here in the same building.
Separately, because they need time apart.
She drives a van.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11173 on: November 09, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
I've listened to an entire morning's worth of conversations about how awesome this CW's new truck is. He traded an F150 worth $25K for a new F250 to pull an RV (also just purchased). He and his wife both drive 20+ miles to work here in the same building.
She drives a van.
If someone sat in the backseat of the van, they could still have time apart. 

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #11174 on: November 09, 2015, 11:18:12 AM »
It is probable that they go home anyway and just get on their individual laptops/tablets... No exactly quality time...

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
« Reply #11175 on: November 09, 2015, 11:41:26 AM »

I read this and thought "charger" was like a charger for your phone.  I then wondered how you could tell the year of a phone/laptop charger, and what was particularly flashy and unnecessary about it.  Then I read car and was like ohhhhhh!  I had to go back and reread from the beginning now picturing a car.  Can you tell I'm not a car person?  Hope I wasn't the only person out there who does this sort of thing...

Apples, this is hilarious! I was thinking the exact same thing.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11176 on: November 09, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »

Apples, this is hilarious! I was thinking the exact same thing.

I was feeling dumb for thinking it was a phone charger at first, but now I feel smart for realizing it at "year" rather than "car". Thanks Apples and Wilson Hall! :P

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11177 on: November 09, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »
On the plus side, someone got a good deal by buying a 99% brand new [charger, vette, acura, etc that was mentioned] for 85% (or less) of the sticker price.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11178 on: November 10, 2015, 09:59:01 AM »
I didn't overhear it, but saw it posted as a quote on a coworkers cube.

With precise planning and a good 401(k), retirement is only 150 years away.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11179 on: November 10, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
On the plus side, someone got a good deal by buying a 99% brand new [charger, vette, acura, etc that was mentioned] for 85% (or less) of the sticker price.
Eh... that's probably all it's worth.
It's still depreciating at near-maximum rate.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11180 on: November 10, 2015, 01:04:17 PM »
Posted by: Cromacster
« on: Today at 09:59:01 AM » Insert Quote

Wait till they're not around then, go in and cross out that extra "0".

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #11181 on: November 10, 2015, 01:09:05 PM »

Or add a decimal between the 1 and 5 for real shock factor

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11182 on: November 10, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »

That's a bit of a stretch.  :P

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11183 on: November 10, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »

Best 401(k) plan ever?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11184 on: November 10, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »

Best 401(k) plan ever?

Employee contributes 10% of his salary and employer contributes 1800%!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11185 on: November 10, 2015, 06:27:17 PM »
A new colleague started today.

It was in the news last night that Australians working overseas will now be required to pay off their HECS (federal student loan debt).

We were chatting about it, I said my husband and I are working to voluntary pay off our HECS by next April (we graduated in 2007 but didn't earn enough to meet the repayment threshold until early 2013).

My colleague, whose eldest child is 16 and two years away from uni herself, still hasn't repaid her HECS.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #11186 on: November 11, 2015, 05:44:19 AM »
I had to rag co workers across the street to sign up for our 403b. If we chip in 1%, our employer gives us 6% of our salary as a match! They are basically turning away a 6% raise for free but turning in the one single sheet of paper they need to start getting it. Crazy

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #11187 on: November 11, 2015, 07:10:56 AM »
I cheat, I mix avocado with salsa.  Done, guacamole.

Me, too... the green kind they have at Trader Joe's is really lime-y and it keeps it from browning.

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #11188 on: November 11, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
A new colleague started today.

It was in the news last night that Australians working overseas will now be required to pay off their HECS (federal student loan debt).

We were chatting about it, I said my husband and I are working to voluntary pay off our HECS by next April (we graduated in 2007 but didn't earn enough to meet the repayment threshold until early 2013).

My colleague, whose eldest child is 16 and two years away from uni herself, still hasn't repaid her HECS.

Good on you for getting rid of your HECS. However, I have HECS and I'm not paying it off any sooner than I need to, as I'm investing instead. I always have the money sitting in an account to pay it immediately if interest is added, but at the moment I'm just investing instead.

That being said, I can imagine your co-worker is not investing or anything like that, either!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11189 on: November 11, 2015, 06:05:56 PM »

Best 401(k) plan ever?

I firmly believe employers should ditch the percentage match thing and just put in a flat $35,000 (lowering nominal salary accordingly).

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11190 on: November 11, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
Coworker is getting married.
She is from Europe, he is from here in NYC, where they both live.
They're getting married in Europe, but some 4000 miles away from where she's from for some inexplicable reason.
Honey moon? South Africa obviously.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #11191 on: November 12, 2015, 05:13:26 AM »

Best 401(k) plan ever?

I firmly believe employers should ditch the percentage match thing and just put in a flat $35,000 (lowering nominal salary accordingly).

I'm all for Mustachianism, but I'm not sure I could live on $2k per year. :P

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11192 on: November 12, 2015, 06:45:22 AM »
One of my coworkers just retired at 52.

"Can you even imagine having enough money to just stop working? I mean, he's my age!" says another coworker with a Lexus, a thirty mile commute, and a summer cottage.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11193 on: November 12, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »

Lol, these are both good ideas.  I would consider it if it was someone I knew.  But, as it's megacorp, I have no idea who he is or what he does.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #11194 on: November 12, 2015, 07:32:06 AM »
She drives a van.

That astounds me! OMG.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11195 on: November 12, 2015, 08:12:31 AM »
She drives a van.

That astounds me! OMG.

Married couple, friends of mine and former work colleagues, used to commute separately by car ~35 miles each way to work here. Same company, same office, different department, so they didn't see each other during the day anyway. That's anywhere between 45 and 90 minutes drive, depending on traffic. They grew vegetables on their allotment, though, because it would save money and be good for the environment.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11196 on: November 12, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
She drives a van.

That astounds me! OMG.

After a quick search on Autotrader I'm going to guess that the F150 was a 2012 XLT Supercab. That has a towing capacity of 11,300 pounds! The F250 with 6.2L engine has a towing capacity of about 12,500 which doesn't seem like much of an improvement to me, so they probably opted for the 6.7L diesel which has a towing capacity of 13,700 to 16,300 pounds. The new truck probably costs around $40k+, depending on how it's configured. I'll assume their new RV trailer must be more than 12,000 lb and is at least a 2015 model. Looking at RV Trader these seem to run $30k+ and $40k+ looks more common.

The 2012 F150 with 6.2L engine gets a combined 14 mpg, and I think it's safe to say the F250 and van would be worse (they often don't publish these numbers). That works out to about $13 per day in fuel (assuming 80 miles of driving)...

Wow. I think these decisions alone will easily cost them $100k+ over the next decade (assuming they don't buy any new vehicles in that time frame). And that's before they've even used the RV. I also haven't even touched on maintenance and insurance costs either...

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #11197 on: November 12, 2015, 08:47:13 AM »

Best 401(k) plan ever?

It really doesn't make any sense that companies don't have that as an option, though.  Unless my understanding is incomplete, the employer would get a tax deduction, and the money doesn't even hit the employee's AGI.  Everyone is better off when an employee and the company shift compensation from regular wages to 401(k) contributions.  Worst case, the employer is indifferent because they would have charged the employee's pay as payroll expense (and get a tax deduction anyways), and best case the expense gets reclassified and they don't have to pay FICA/payroll taxes on it.  I could be mistaken, since I don't know the tax rules on retirement accounts from the employer side all that well, but it seems great to me.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #11198 on: November 12, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »

Best 401(k) plan ever?

It really doesn't make any sense that companies don't have that as an option, though.  Unless my understanding is incomplete, the employer would get a tax deduction, and the money doesn't even hit the employee's AGI.  Everyone is better off when an employee and the company shift compensation from regular wages to 401(k) contributions.  Worst case, the employer is indifferent because they would have charged the employee's pay as payroll expense (and get a tax deduction anyways), and best case the expense gets reclassified and they don't have to pay FICA/payroll taxes on it.  I could be mistaken, since I don't know the tax rules on retirement accounts from the employer side all that well, but it seems great to me.
With the slight problem that $35,000 is more than median individual income. You'd get a negative paycheck.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11199 on: November 12, 2015, 09:03:16 AM »
Married couple, friends of mine and former work colleagues, used to commute separately by car ~35 miles each way to work here. Same company, same office, different department, so they didn't see each other during the day anyway. That's anywhere between 45 and 90 minutes drive, depending on traffic. They grew vegetables on their allotment, though, because it would save money and be good for the environment.
Pennywise, pound-foolish. Even one person driving that much for a job is insane in my world.