Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253171 times)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #1100 on: November 26, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »
^I've also been to a resort that specialized in SCUBA (two dives per day included, although I'm really only interested in one per day.)  Seemed like a fairly athletic bunch of people there.

On the "over heard at work" side, one of my colleagues recently confessed he purchases a second parking pass for work (to the tune of over $30/month, even though he gets one reserved spot for free) because he doesn't want to take the free bus that runs every 5 minutes less than one mile when he needs to go to the other side of campus.  So he pays for a reserved spot in the gated lot on the other side of campus, too. 

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #1101 on: November 26, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »
We went on a vacation last year (saved for about 2 years for it) to Grand Cayman and stayed at the Sunset House. It's a SCUBA resort. Breakfast is included as well as your air/weights, unlimited shore diving, and 2 boat dives a day, but that's it. The food was amazing, portions were enough to split between 2 people every day, and we ended up spending LESS total than we did on our Honeymoon. Clientele were far more laid back, more open to doing things, and there was a more diverse group of people.
Heh.  My spouse-to-be and I stayed there 30 years ago.  Glad to see they're still in business. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1102 on: November 26, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »
Colleague earns $115K a year, has done for several years minimum. Partner earns $200k TAKE HOME (not sure what it is before tax).

"When we have our babies we're really going to struggle financially because we don't earn much, but I think my parents will help us out with money".

Her parents are on the aged pension (Aussie equivalent of Social Security, except means tested, so if you're wealthy you won't receive it).

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1103 on: November 26, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »
Colleague earns $115K a year, has done for several years minimum. Partner earns $200k TAKE HOME (not sure what it is before tax).

"When we have our babies we're really going to struggle financially because we don't earn much, but I think my parents will help us out with money".

Her parents are on the aged pension (Aussie equivalent of Social Security, except means tested, so if you're wealthy you won't receive it).

Uh.
I don't have a word bad enough for that. I don't understand how she could come to that conclusion, either. Wages are high here, but those are on the higher end even of that! Would they hire me to manage their money?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1104 on: November 26, 2013, 11:46:46 PM »

Uh.
I don't have a word bad enough for that. I don't understand how she could come to that conclusion, either. Wages are high here, but those are on the higher end even of that! Would they hire me to manage their money?

Well she's a horrible human being, so I wouldn't recommend working for her even if she was interested :-P

Seriously though, in my workplace we all know each other's salaries (to the dollar) and most people are open about how much they paid for their house, car etc, so I have a fairly good idea of just how antimustachian most people are. It makes my head hurt.

In fact, another one, this time from a colleague who makes about $97k, has no children/dependents, no mortgage, etc: "We don't get paid enough for me to be able to donate to charity".

Note that he has PLENTY of money for beer and concerts, though.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1105 on: November 27, 2013, 12:29:16 AM »
My contract has a little line in it to the effect of: "you will not discuss what we're paying you with other people employed by us".
I'm quite fascinated by these people; I remember thinking (straight out of uni): "There's no WAY I could possibly spend all this money I'm earning!"

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1106 on: November 27, 2013, 01:02:27 AM »
My contract has a little line in it to the effect of: "you will not discuss what we're paying you with other people employed by us".
I'm quite fascinated by these people; I remember thinking (straight out of uni): "There's no WAY I could possibly spend all this money I'm earning!"

I can't imagine not knowing what everyone around me earns. People even ask if they can look at each other's pay slips to see what they would make if they were promoted.

Downside is, I know just how idiotic my coworkers are with money.

I've got another one: "We don't make enough money here. I'm looking for a FIFO job so I can earn more" - somebody on approx $130K.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1107 on: November 27, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »
Hedonistic Adaptation at its best. I can't imagine spending $200K a year, even if I tried... that reminds me of Brewster's Millions.

moestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1108 on: November 27, 2013, 06:52:06 AM »
All these stories are fascinating to read. I don't recall ever having colleagues like these, I've worked with a few who are frugal, and majority are probably somewhere in the middle, they may not be mustachian but they weren't silly with finances either.

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
« Reply #1109 on: November 27, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »

Heh.  My spouse-to-be and I stayed there 30 years ago.  Glad to see they're still in business.

They run an awesome business. We went for pirate week last year. Very reasonably priced for what you get, amazing experiences, and it's well worth saving up for, even for people on this site who are not as likely to take vacations that cost that much. Grand Cayman is super safe as well. We walked into town most nights from the resort and didn't think twice about it. If that were Nassau or Jamaica, I wouldn't have walked into town at night.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #1110 on: November 27, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »
Hedonistic Adaptation at its best. I can't imagine spending $200K a year, even if I tried... that reminds me of Brewster's Millions.

I could.  Not that I'd spend it on ME, but I could certainly go through 200k / year.  Lets see......grand a week to the local food bank, there's 52k / year.  A couple of the local rescue missions (Union Gospel and the Tacoma Mission) - I'm sure they wouldn't mind having a doc and nurse on site once a week to provide freebie medical care to the homeless folks - no idea what it would cost to hire a GP Doc + Nurse + reasonable supplies for one day a week, but a suspect a conservative budget would be 2k / day x 52 weeks a year so another 104k / year.  That leaves 44k / year....I like to trail run / hike / mountain bike - the local parks and forest trails could use some additional TLC, so I'm sure I could find a non-profit to hire additional seasonal staff to do the work to the tune of 44k / year.

See?  Easy to blow through 200k / year.

Side note on the above (and only partially the inspiration for this post) - a totally bad ass Mustaschian, in the greatest of ways, putting it to massive good use.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022337460_childrensdonationxml.html

Seattle man’s frugal life leaves rich legacy for 3 institutions
A Seattle attorney who amassed a fortune through frugal living and stock investments has left $187.6 million to Seattle Children’s, the UW School of Law and the Salvation Army.

He clipped coupons, wore sweaters with holes in them to make people think he was poor and took a bus — not a cab — to the University of Washington when he attended an alumni luncheon in his later years.

Only a tight circle of family and friends knew that MacDonald was nurturing a secret fortune. When he died in September at the age of 98, he left in his will a $187.6 million charitable trust to Seattle Children’s Research Institute, the University of Washington School of Law and the Salvation Army.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1111 on: November 27, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »

I could.  Not that I'd spend it on ME, but I could certainly go through 200k / year.  Lets see......grand a week to the local food bank, there's 52k / year.  A couple of the local rescue missions (Union Gospel and the Tacoma Mission) - I'm sure they wouldn't mind having a doc and nurse on site once a week to provide freebie medical care to the homeless folks - no idea what it would cost to hire a GP Doc + Nurse + reasonable supplies for one day a week, but a suspect a conservative budget would be 2k / day x 52 weeks a year so another 104k / year.  That leaves 44k / year....I like to trail run / hike / mountain bike - the local parks and forest trails could use some additional TLC, so I'm sure I could find a non-profit to hire additional seasonal staff to do the work to the tune of 44k / year.

See?  Easy to blow through 200k / year.

Side note on the above (and only partially the inspiration for this post) - a totally bad ass Mustaschian, in the greatest of ways, putting it to massive good use.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022337460_childrensdonationxml.html

Seattle man’s frugal life leaves rich legacy for 3 institutions
A Seattle attorney who amassed a fortune through frugal living and stock investments has left $187.6 million to Seattle Children’s, the UW School of Law and the Salvation Army.

He clipped coupons, wore sweaters with holes in them to make people think he was poor and took a bus — not a cab — to the University of Washington when he attended an alumni luncheon in his later years.

Only a tight circle of family and friends knew that MacDonald was nurturing a secret fortune. When he died in September at the age of 98, he left in his will a $187.6 million charitable trust to Seattle Children’s Research Institute, the University of Washington School of Law and the Salvation Army.

It's easy to spend 200k/year.  You just have to buy ridiculous things. 

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #1112 on: November 28, 2013, 07:52:59 AM »
My boss is always talking about how much money everybody makes and that you can save a lot.
He's in his 40s and gave his notice today. He is talking about going into self-employment, but has no real ideas and talks about looking into stuff.
I don't believe him. I think he's going to FIRE.

Not really appropriate for this thread, but I wanted to share it anyway.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1113 on: November 28, 2013, 09:12:32 AM »
My boss is always talking about how much money everybody makes and that you can save a lot.
He's in his 40s and gave his notice today. He is talking about going into self-employment, but has no real ideas and talks about looking into stuff.

There is a significant amoujt of potential social stigma to simple declaring yourself retired at an early age.  I am telling people some of the same vague stuff ahead of bailing in January.

pom

• Bristles
« Reply #1114 on: November 28, 2013, 09:58:29 AM »

Great for him, when my time comes I will probably lie too. Self employment seems legit enough, I was thinking of saying that I am going into stock-trading (and then trade about once a month to reinvest some of my dividends).

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #1115 on: November 28, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »
There is a significant amoujt of potential social stigma to simple declaring yourself retired at an early age.  I am telling people some of the same vague stuff ahead of bailing in January.
I know, I don't blame him. I think it's great to actually know someone who is FIRE.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1116 on: November 28, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
A 20 year old co-worker explained her early retirement strategy to me! I was shocked (in a good way). I think her strategy will work as long as she can increase her income a bit over the next few years (obviously she is in a very junior role at the moment, but she is still managing to save a fair bit. But FIRE is easier on middle-higher income, as certain costs have a baseline no matter how frugal you are.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1117 on: November 28, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »

Great for him, when my time comes I will probably lie too. Self employment seems legit enough, I was thinking of saying that I am going into stock-trading (and then trade about once a month to reinvest some of my dividends).

When my times comes I'll probably lie to myself too

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1118 on: December 01, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »
When my times comes I'll probably lie to myself too

It's just one more year..

medinaj2160

• Stubble
« Reply #1119 on: December 01, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
I heard a coworker who is buying a house say "I just signed the papers on my new house......... I will be done at 85"

WOW I am 28 and I only have 60K left to pay on my 200K house.....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:47:56 PM by medinaj2160 »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1120 on: December 06, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »
Not overheard, exactly, but more like overseen:

My boss has never worn the same outfit twice during my entire stay at this company (4 months). Granted, I do not see her every day, and maybe she cycles her clothes really strategically... but still! How big is her closet? It amazes me how many outfits she has! And they’re nice outfits, with matching details (i.e. matching jacket and scarf). It kind of blows my mind.

I wear the same things at work ALL THE TIME. No one seems to care.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1121 on: December 06, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »

Pretty sure I've worn the same pair of pants for the past 2 months.  Except one day when it was a "jeans day" (I think it was halloween)  I use those days to plan my dry cleanings if it is needed.

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #1122 on: December 06, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »

Pretty sure I've worn the same pair of pants for the past 2 months.  Except one day when it was a "jeans day" (I think it was halloween)  I use those days to plan my dry cleanings if it is needed.

I am in this category. I just both a second pair of work pants last night. I've been floating around this job for about a year. :P

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #1123 on: December 06, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »

i actually just got done wearing the same outfit all week.  no one notices, especially under my lab coat
I am in this category. I just both a second pair of work pants last night. I've been floating around this job for about a year. :P

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #1124 on: December 06, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »
Guys, wearing the same pair of pants for a week straight is kinda gross... Are you washing them during the week? (I personally wear a pair of work pants twice before washing)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1125 on: December 06, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »
Guys, wearing the same pair of pants for a week straight is kinda gross... Are you washing them during the week? (I personally wear a pair of work pants twice before washing)
5 straight days with a completely sedentary lifestyle at work? Not that shocking. With biking to/from work? Yeah, I change every 2-3 days, depending on weather and type of fabric.

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
« Reply #1126 on: December 06, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »

This. I usually wear pants for 2 days and then they get washed.

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #1127 on: December 06, 2013, 06:10:21 PM »

Yes I am.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #1128 on: December 07, 2013, 02:53:14 AM »
5 straight days with a completely sedentary lifestyle at work? Not that shocking. With biking to/from work? Yeah, I change every 2-3 days, depending on weather and type of fabric.

I usually cycle though 3 different pairs of pants, and I cycle to work.  But I change after I get to work, so I'm not actively perspiring.  During the summer more frequent swaps are necessary, but in the winter when you usually are too cold? Not much need!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1129 on: December 07, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »
Worker A is constantly on hard times financially and was complaining about it again.

Worker B -who doesn't live frugally now, but grew up frugally out of necessity, and who has discussed this before- reiterated her parents' strategy for living below their means all those years ago.

"Beans and rice" became synonymous for frugality in this conversation.

Worker A said, "Well, when you've grown up on steak and shrimp as I have, going down to beans and rice is depressing."

Worker B stopped talking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stay out of these conversations now because they lead nowhere. Worker B will learn this eventually.

I mention this, not to condemn anybody, but to remind myself that much of the "I can't" thinking about anything in life can be changed if I change my thoughts.

I'm on the right path financially, but there may be other things in life that I'm stubborn about or not willing to change.

So whenever Worker A complains about her life (which is often), instead of becoming irritated, I use that moment to improve myself.

(1) I make note of something I've complained about recently
(2) Seek to solve it on paper when I get home
(3)(most important) Shut up about it until I've found a solution or am willing to hear advice.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #1130 on: December 07, 2013, 09:13:07 AM »
Worker A is constantly on hard times financially and was complaining about it again.

Worker B -who doesn't live frugally now, but grew up frugally out of necessity, and who has discussed this before- reiterated her parents' strategy for living below their means all those years ago.

"Beans and rice" became synonymous for frugality in this conversation.

Worker A said, "Well, when you've grown up on steak and shrimp as I have, going down to beans and rice is depressing."

Worker B stopped talking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stay out of these conversations now because they lead nowhere. Worker B will learn this eventually.

I mention this, not to condemn anybody, but to remind myself that much of the "I can't" thinking about anything in life can be changed if I change my thoughts.

I'm on the right path financially, but there may be other things in life that I'm stubborn about or not willing to change.

So whenever Worker A complains about her life (which is often), instead of becoming irritated, I use that moment to improve myself.

(1) I make note of something I've complained about recently
(2) Seek to solve it on paper when I get home
(3)(most important) Shut up about it until I've found a solution or am willing to hear advice.
'

'C.K, love your philosophy!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1131 on: December 07, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »

Unless of course you are paying upwards of $50/plate at a fashionable Mexican restaurant :-)

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1132 on: December 07, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »

Unless of course you are paying upwards of $50/plate at a fashionable Mexican restaurant :-)

Ha! That's what I would say.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1133 on: December 09, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »

No, They are dry clean only.  I might hand scrub a spill if that happens.  Or if they start to smell I might leave them in a freezer over the weekend.  If I only wore my pants twice before having them dry cleaned I'd waste a lot of money and my pants would wear out much faster (thus the need to buy more pants, wasting even more money).  I try to limit dry cleaning once a quarter, unless I really need it done, I might add an additional cleaning per year.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1134 on: December 09, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »
I work from home.. So do comments made by my family (aka: Spouse since the other members aren't old enough to really say much :) ) count?

My DW, after we got into a fight after I missed a flight to a work meeting (thank you to my state for not being prepared like all the other states around) made some of the following comments:
"What happens if the long term never comes?  I don't want to miss out on things now because we waited till <insert random year here>"
"I don't mind doing yearly trips to visit your parents (who now life 1800+ miles away part of the year - I can truly say they earned it) as long as it doesn't stop us from going on vacations."

This is of course all after I had to keep remaindering her the reason I was going to take that trip was to help ensure I was converted to a full time employee enabling us to get much cheaper health coverage plus other great benefits.  And that the reason I'm working two contracts right now is to pay down our debt quicker and be able to get better health coverage.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1135 on: December 09, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »

Yeah, I don't see the problem with a sedentary job.  I do give them a regular sniff test.  I tend to wash my work jeans (I have two pairs) when I (or the kids) spill food on them.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1136 on: December 10, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »
Also, I know that my mom has had success only buying dress pants for my dad that are machine washable. 

Ding!  If i cannot wash it in a machine, I don't want it or buy it.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1137 on: December 10, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
Also, I know that my mom has had success only buying dress pants for my dad that are machine washable. 

Ding!  If i cannot wash it in a machine, I don't want it or buy it.

Us too. Although a lot of things that SAY dry clean only can be washed and hung to dry. Dh recently bought a bunch of pants at the local goodwill and we don't dryclean any of them. Of course they were super cheap to begin with, so I didnt mind experimenting on them. YMMV.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #1138 on: December 10, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
I was eating my lunch at my desk when a co-worker came up and this happened:

Me: Hey!
C.W.: Do you bring your lunch every day?
Me: Well yeah, I love to cook so I always have leftovers.
C.W.: I'd much rather buy lunch out, that way I can get whatever I want.
Me: Well I buy all my groceries, so I can buy the ingredients to make whatever I want. I think I get more of what I want because I can tailor it specifically to my tastes.
C.W.: *stunned silence*

Oh and here's another one, different co-worker (can you tell I work with government drones?):
C.W.: I just got a great deal on yoga pants at gap body.
Me: Wow, that's great.
C.W.: Normally they're $50 but I got them for $35, I mean, why would I pay more than that for yoga pants?
Me: I agree, I buy mine at Conway*
C.W.: Ugh, I wouldn't set foot in that store.

*conway is a discount type chain store in nyc. I buy my yoga pants there for about $3-$5, but I mean, I guess it's totally beneath some people.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1139 on: December 10, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »

Me: Well I buy all my groceries, so I can buy the ingredients to make whatever I want. I think I get more of what I want because I can tailor it specifically to my tastes.

Oh and here's another one, different co-worker (can you tell I work with government drones?):
C.W.: I just got a great deal on yoga pants at gap body.
Me: Wow, that's great.
C.W.: Normally they're $50 but I got them for $35, I mean, why would I pay more than that for yoga pants?
Me: I agree, I buy mine at Conway*
C.W.: Ugh, I wouldn't set foot in that store.

*conway is a discount type chain store in nyc. I buy my yoga pants there for about $3-$5, but I mean, I guess it's totally beneath some people.

The groceries one made me seriously LOL. I hope you totally blew that person's mind.

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #1140 on: December 11, 2013, 01:53:03 AM »

A person with decent cooking skills can come up with seemingly endless options for meal choices. On the flip side, there are only so many restaurants near work...

CW didn't really think that one through haha.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1141 on: December 11, 2013, 02:57:47 AM »

A person with decent cooking skills can come up with seemingly endless options for meal choices. On the flip side, there are only so many restaurants near work...

No, if you bring your lunch you have to eat whatever your mom packed for you.  Tuna fish again?  Gross!

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #1142 on: December 11, 2013, 04:42:08 AM »

Why is this gross? Do you not wear underwear?

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1143 on: December 11, 2013, 05:02:43 AM »

I kind of get this attitude, though I am trying to get over it, because it smacks of "instant gratification."  I think what the colleague meant was that he/she could get what they want in the moment.  I actually feel the same way about packing lunches, leftovers, and even meal planning.  Just because I thought something sounded good when I bought it/packed it, it doesn't mean it sounds good to me when it's time to sit down and eat it.

That said, catering to our whims and impulses is a problem and is anti-Mustachian, so I make myself eat what I brought anyway, but I do get the mentality.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #1144 on: December 11, 2013, 05:07:20 AM »
Not money related but still funny:

[Women talking about losing weight]
W1: I tried all the diets, no fat, no carbohydrates, none of them work for me.
W2: I got this great diet, which allows me to keep my weight for several months now.
W1: Wow, what diet is that?
W2: I just eat less. (seriously)

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1145 on: December 11, 2013, 07:15:20 AM »

I kind of get this attitude, though I am trying to get over it, because it smacks of "instant gratification."  I think what the colleague meant was that he/she could get what they want in the moment.  I actually feel the same way about packing lunches, leftovers, and even meal planning.  Just because I thought something sounded good when I bought it/packed it, it doesn't mean it sounds good to me when it's time to sit down and eat it.

That said, catering to our whims and impulses is a problem and is anti-Mustachian, so I make myself eat what I brought anyway, but I do get the mentality.

Yeah, I didn't think about it like that, but it makes sense. I was actually just talking to a coworker about this the other day. I brought some delicious white chicken chili leftovers, but when I went to the kitchen to heat them up I could smell some kind of Asian food someone else had just heated and it smelled sooooooooo good... but my laziness overrode my sudden craving for Asian food, and after the first bite of chili I forgot all about it :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1146 on: December 11, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »

No, if you bring your lunch you have to eat whatever your mom packed for you.  Tuna fish again?  Gross!

LOL!!!!!!!!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1147 on: December 11, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
I kind of get this attitude, though I am trying to get over it, because it smacks of "instant gratification."... Just because I thought something sounded good when I bought it/packed it, it doesn't mean it sounds good to me when it's time to sit down and eat it.

Yes, it's instant gratification. A habit. But because I had fatigued on everything the local restaurants had to offer, I was more than ready to eat my own cooking, just for variety. It was knowing that I have a full larder that got me through the gauntlet of restaurants between work and home at first. After that, the craving, the habit,  went away.

Now, if I'm on vacation or out of town, then curiosity about local cuisine gets me (which is fine for my personal goals).

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1148 on: December 11, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »
I kind of get this attitude, though I am trying to get over it, because it smacks of "instant gratification."... Just because I thought something sounded good when I bought it/packed it, it doesn't mean it sounds good to me when it's time to sit down and eat it.

Yes, it's instant gratification. A habit. But because I had fatigued on everything the local restaurants had to offer, I was more than ready to eat my own cooking, just for variety. It was knowing that I have a full larder that got me through the gauntlet of restaurants between work and home at first. After that, the craving, the habit,  went away.

Now, if I'm on vacation or out of town, then curiosity about local cuisine gets me (which is fine for my personal goals).

I used to eat lunch out more simply because I had to get out of the office and there wasn't much in the way of places to eat bagged lunch.  I wasn't ever comfortable bringing food to a restaurant.

willn

• Stubble
« Reply #1149 on: December 11, 2013, 03:37:11 PM »
I work from home.. So do comments made by my family (aka: Spouse since the other members aren't old enough to really say much :) ) count?

My DW, after we got into a fight after I missed a flight to a work meeting (thank you to my state for not being prepared like all the other states around) made some of the following comments:
"What happens if the long term never comes?  I don't want to miss out on things now because we waited till <insert random year here>"

She does have a point.  It's possible to put off enjoyment of life to a day that never comes, due to death or illness or other misfortune.