Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4933661 times)

Beaker

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #10800 on: October 02, 2015, 01:32:41 PM »
Co-worker: As far as TVs go, I really believe you should just spend whatever makes you happy.  I have never yet heard someone say, "I wish I hadn't spent so much on my TV."

This was in the middle of a discussion about a 65inch 4k curved tv vs. the 55inch version.
I don't think the curved TVs are even all that nice.  It cuts down on the number of people you can invite over to watch a movie with you, since you can't fan out as much and still see the TV.  I don't own a TV at all, so maybe I'm mistaken, but that's my $0.02.

I think the curved TV actually makes it easier to see from the sides and that's the whole point of it being curved.

I was curious about all the talk so I checked out ArsTechnica's take. The curve actually makes it harder to see if you're sitting off to the sides. It's arguably better if you're sitting in the middle.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10801 on: October 02, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »
Co-worker: As far as TVs go, I really believe you should just spend whatever makes you happy.  I have never yet heard someone say, "I wish I hadn't spent so much on my TV."

This was in the middle of a discussion about a 65inch 4k curved tv vs. the 55inch version.
I don't think the curved TVs are even all that nice.  It cuts down on the number of people you can invite over to watch a movie with you, since you can't fan out as much and still see the TV.  I don't own a TV at all, so maybe I'm mistaken, but that's my $0.02.

I think the curved TV actually makes it easier to see from the sides and that's the whole point of it being curved.

I was curious about all the talk so I checked out ArsTechnica's take. The curve actually makes it harder to see if you're sitting off to the sides. It's arguably better if you're sitting in the middle.

Yeah that's what I've heard. Curved TV's as they currently are, are great if you are sitting in that sweet spot, but otherwise largely not worth the additional costs. That said, as costs go down and technology and research go up, it's possible that they will make sense in the future.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10802 on: October 02, 2015, 02:07:50 PM »
"My (can't recall the vehicle type) is in the shop so I have a loaner car today. God- I can barely get in and out of a car anymore since I'm so used to my SUV. I can't believe what a pain it is."

Edit: Apparently this will be the topic of conversation all day. She is on her THIRD person of how hard it is to get out of a car, and how can anyone own a car when you could buy an SUV?
I don't have an SUV, but I really do appreciate the height of my "crossover" (HHR). 

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10803 on: October 02, 2015, 03:12:39 PM »
"My (can't recall the vehicle type) is in the shop so I have a loaner car today. God- I can barely get in and out of a car anymore since I'm so used to my SUV. I can't believe what a pain it is."

Edit: Apparently this will be the topic of conversation all day. She is on her THIRD person of how hard it is to get out of a car, and how can anyone own a car when you could buy an SUV?
I don't have an SUV, but I really do appreciate the height of my "crossover" (HHR).
There are several economy hatchbacks on the market, no reason to get a large SUV if you want a car with headroom. 

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10804 on: October 02, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »
I may have posted this before. My work provides free coffee, generally green mountain. They also sell fancy Starbucks coffee and have a handful of commercial coffee shops/doughnut stores nearby. It astounds me that a non-zero amount of people choose to pay for a coffee EVERY DAY when there is a perfectly good name-brand alternative that is motherf*ckin FREE that is more convenient!

Well I take that back, there's no pump to put a pint of frosting in your cup because you can't handle how real coffee tastes.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10805 on: October 02, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »

There are several economy hatchbacks on the market, no reason to get a large SUV if you want a car with headroom.

Since this is about getting in and out of the car, isn't this r about distance from the ground, not headroom?

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10806 on: October 03, 2015, 01:55:35 AM »

Since this is about getting in and out of the car, isn't this r about distance from the ground, not headroom?
Depends what the problem is.  If it's knees, then the problem is seat height.  If it's height, then it's height of car body.  If it's obesity, it's door size.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10807 on: October 03, 2015, 05:37:26 AM »

I may have posted this before. My work provides free coffee, generally green mountain. They also sell fancy Starbucks coffee and have a handful of commercial coffee shops/doughnut stores nearby. It astounds me that a non-zero amount of people choose to pay for a coffee EVERY DAY when there is a perfectly good name-brand alternative that is motherf*ckin FREE that is more convenient!

Well I take that back, there's no pump to put a pint of frosting in your cup because you can't handle how real coffee tastes.

In my case it's even worse: I work for an Italian company so good, free coffee is considered a primary human right.
We have free Lavazza cups, and still some people spend the $3 something on their Starbucks latte almost every day.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10808 on: October 03, 2015, 06:47:32 AM »
In my case it's even worse: I work for an Italian company so good, free coffee is considered a primary human right.
We have free Lavazza cups, and still some people spend the $3 something on their Starbucks latte almost every day.

Now thats a special kind of stooopid. 

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10809 on: October 05, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »

I live in a LCOL part of the country, and bought a Starbucks Latte last week with some coworkers (I feel obligated to mention, the free office coffee gets the job done just fine, and I drink that 95% of the time. I chose to go just for the walk and cameraderie, and I do like lattes)...

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that my small (or whatever the f*** they call it) latte was OVER $4! That's the plain model, just milk and espresso. Everything else costs even more.
A penny saved is a penny earned.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10810 on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:10 AM »

I live in a LCOL part of the country, and bought a Starbucks Latte last week with some coworkers (I feel obligated to mention, the free office coffee gets the job done just fine, and I drink that 95% of the time. I chose to go just for the walk and cameraderie, and I do like lattes)...

I doubt there are many, even here at MMM, that would begrudge you a treat. That's how I look at such things. If you are going with colleagues, then that's akin to pitching in for an office Fantasy Football or March Madness pool, even if you care little for it. It's a little money but can get you closer to your coworkers, which can help your career and make life a little better.

Skalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10811 on: October 05, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »
My job just attracts these guys or something...

Coworker buys an $800 car for his girlfriend's daughter. Daughter has trouble holding down jobs, has a kid, has an eviction on record and is currently couch surfing. The daughter's boyfriend has outstanding warrants and works under the table.

So daughter, within a week of having this car, goes and gets a title loan on the car. And then doesn't pay it back. Car gets repo'd within two months of her receiving it.

Now daughter wants to get an apartment and needs a cosigner, which she's asking coworker for. He said no.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10812 on: October 05, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »
Your coworker is a stand-up guy. He took an $800 gamble to help someone out, but he's not an idiot and cut his losses.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10813 on: October 05, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
Your coworker is a stand-up guy. He took an $800 gamble to help someone out, but he's not an idiot and cut his losses.

That's a good point, I hope that's how he views it.

eljefe-speaks

• Stubble
« Reply #10814 on: October 06, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »

Yeah that's what I've heard. Curved TV's as they currently are, are great if you are sitting in that sweet spot, but otherwise largely not worth the additional costs. That said, as costs go down and technology and research go up, it's possible that they will make sense in the future.

Curved TV is a gimmicky way to get people to buy ANOTHER TV. Wow, look everybody - it's curved! Nothing more. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10815 on: October 06, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »
I got 3 invitations for work Xmas parties, all >$100 a head, the most expensive one $160 a head.  Included are staff who make under 40K a year. Holy guacamole!
Guess who's being a party pooper? Man, I'm saving like nearly $500 by not going.

WTF it's the social norm for workers to pay to attend a Christmas party?

Not at my company, I'm proud to say. Each year we get dinner at a local Chinese buffet. It is paid for by me. Of course, I have a grand total of 6 employees, and I do invite back 2 retired employees in case they are interested. Also, it just so happens that all of my employees are unmarried save for one, so that also likely reduces my expenses a little bit.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #10816 on: October 06, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »

Yup. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Small loss this incident is better than a bigger loss in the future. Now he has a great burn excuse to stay away from gf's kin.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #10817 on: October 06, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »
Can I bitch about something not money related?

Coworker is upset because her dog is missing.  Fair enough.  Except:

1.  Dog has run away before.
2.  Dog was not on a leash or in a fence; they just let it go outside freely (which is illegal where I live, not to mention stupid anywhere).
3.  Dog is not neutered (it's 3 years old; this should have been done 2 1/2 years ago).
4.  Dog is trained/disciplined by "popping," which I assume means she just hits it when it doesn't do what she wants.

I'm biting my tongue so hard right now.  OF COURSE your damn dog ran away.  You didn't train it, it's not fixed so it's more prone to wandering off, it's done this before, and you just.... let it go, no leash, no supervision, etc?  This is your fault, not the dog's.  Dog is just being a dog.

Guess whose dog died last weekend? FB post said, "We'll never know exactly what happened, but we know he died doing what he loved most - hunting." Sounds to me like he ran off again. FFS.

I had to unfriend her. This was 100% preventable, and the only sympathy I have is for the dog.
There are no impossible obstacles, there are only stronger and weaker wills. (Jules Verne)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10818 on: October 06, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »

2.  Dog was not on a leash or in a fence; they just let it go outside freely (which is illegal where I live, not to mention stupid anywhere).
3.  Dog is not neutered (it's 3 years old; this should have been done 2 1/2 years ago).
4.  Dog is trained/disciplined by "popping," which I assume means she just hits it when it doesn't do what she wants.

I'm biting my tongue so hard right now.  OF COURSE your damn dog ran away.  You didn't train it, it's not fixed so it's more prone to wandering off, it's done this before, and you just.... let it go, no leash, no supervision, etc?  This is your fault, not the dog's.  Dog is just being a dog.

Guess whose dog died last weekend? FB post said, "We'll never know exactly what happened, but we know he died doing what he loved most - hunting." Sounds to me like he ran off again. FFS.

I had to unfriend her. This was 100% preventable, and the only sympathy I have is for the dog.

Ugh!  This is so sad!  As the owner, she was responsible for protecting that dog and ensuring his well-being.  I hope she never has the privilege of owning another pet, or if she does, that she learns a very good lesson from this one.  Doubtful she'll do any better the next time, but we can still hope.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10819 on: October 06, 2015, 07:08:52 PM »

I concur, I feel for the dog. There's no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad dog owner.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10820 on: October 07, 2015, 12:42:05 AM »

I concur, I feel for the dog. There's no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad dog owner.

Child and parent?

Oops, I didn't say that out loud did I! That's a big can of worms...

Reynold

• Stubble
« Reply #10821 on: October 07, 2015, 09:24:08 AM »

I did something like this, on a smaller scale.  We'd just moved to a new state and introduced ourselves to the neighbors, and 2 days later the 18ish year old son of one of them, who we had talked to briefly, knocked on the door to borrow $5 for gas for his car to get to his practice with his garage band.  I loaned him $10, figuring that would be a good test of whether he was reliable.  If so, we could hire him for house sitting, snow shoveling when we traveled, etc. 

About 5 months later, I brought it up in conversation, in case he had forgotten (it has happened to me), but he was short of money at the time.  About a year after the initial borrowing, he saw me getting out of the car, came over and gave me the $10 with a brief apology for being so late, he had finally gotten a job.  So he is not dishonest, just generally irresponsible.  It was worth risking $10 to me to find out what a neighbor was like. 

Contrast this with a similar situation with a well paid, professional co-worker some years earlier, where I loaned him $40 because he was short of cash, and when I brought it up a couple of months later, he scowled and said "What is the big deal about $40?".  I didn't make an issue of it, but learned something useful from that as well.  When someone says "What is the big deal about (some amount of money they owe you)", it is typically a big deal to them.  I don't recall if he was one of the co-workers who panicked when payroll was late by a couple of days one time due to some kind of software messup. . .

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10822 on: October 07, 2015, 09:52:10 AM »
Well, if it is no big deal for you, how about we double what you have to give me back? Or is this still too small a sum?

rockstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10823 on: October 07, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
he scowled and said "What is the big deal about $40?". 

I cannot even imagine having this kind of attitude. If I owe someone even $1, it is like a big weight over my head until I clear it up.

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10824 on: October 07, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »

I did something like this, on a smaller scale.  We'd just moved to a new state and introduced ourselves to the neighbors, and 2 days later the 18ish year old son of one of them, who we had talked to briefly, knocked on the door to borrow $5 for gas for his car to get to his practice with his garage band.  I loaned him $10, figuring that would be a good test of whether he was reliable.  If so, we could hire him for house sitting, snow shoveling when we traveled, etc. 

About 5 months later, I brought it up in conversation, in case he had forgotten (it has happened to me), but he was short of money at the time.  About a year after the initial borrowing, he saw me getting out of the car, came over and gave me the $10 with a brief apology for being so late, he had finally gotten a job.  So he is not dishonest, just generally irresponsible.  It was worth risking $10 to me to find out what a neighbor was like. 

Contrast this with a similar situation with a well paid, professional co-worker some years earlier, where I loaned him $40 because he was short of cash, and when I brought it up a couple of months later, he scowled and said "What is the big deal about $40?".  I didn't make an issue of it, but learned something useful from that as well.  When someone says "What is the big deal about (some amount of money they owe you)", it is typically a big deal to them.  I don't recall if he was one of the co-workers who panicked when payroll was late by a couple of days one time due to some kind of software messup. . .

The real genius is next time he asks to borrow money, you don't need to feel guilty declining the request.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10825 on: October 07, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »

I quit loaning people money because I got tired of it. They owe me forever. They don't intend to pay unless I ask for it. When I ask for the money back they say, "Why do you want it back? Do you really need it?"

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10826 on: October 07, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »

I quit loaning people money because I got tired of it. They owe me forever. They don't intend to pay unless I ask for it. When I ask for the money back they say, "Why do you want it back? Do you really need it?"

"Do you really need it" drives me nuts. No, I don't really need it. I also don't really need beer, and at that, good beer. I don't need internet. I don't need a lot of things. But where does it stop? Most people that say that have more things/luxuries than me, although I'd guess that my stuff is nicer than their stuff.

I've stopped loaning money to people other than when they're not short, they just don't have it (i.e. need cash at a cash only place, or my brother who's funds were held up due to a bank transfer, etc.) Even then it is a gift, not a loan. If they give it back, lovely.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10827 on: October 07, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »

This is why I give, not loan.  If they ever give back the $20 they borrowed, great.  If they never do, I worry not, because I never expected it back to start with.

obrero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10828 on: October 07, 2015, 07:33:01 PM »
I'm sure this has been covered before, but coworkers talking about how as soon as their current $40k truck is paid off, they're going to upgrade to one of the new 1/2 ton trucks that are coming with a diesel option, for the price of $60k.  They will be able to get 20mpg so its a good deal.  I don't know how these people afford it, we make only slightly more than the median income in the U.S. 

I try to drop nuggets of knowledge about depreciation, how my second 100k miles on my truck (my chevy colorado that I paid 13k for, new) will be much more affordable that the first 100k miles, most are uninterested but once in a while someone seems to give a crap about their future selves. 

obrero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10829 on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:52 PM »

This is why I give, not loan.  If they ever give back the $20 they borrowed, great.  If they never do, I worry not, because I never expected it back to start with.

It's good that when people are broke and they ask for money they will first ask for a small amount, 10 or 20 dollars, to get them to the next paycheck or whatever.  If the amount is small, I'll let them borrow it and use it as a test of whether or not I can trust that person.  Usually someone who's finances are so out of order that they cannot scrape up 20$ is untrustworthy, but I give the benefit of the doubt. 

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #10830 on: October 08, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »

It's good that when people are broke and they ask for money they will first ask for a small amount, 10 or 20 dollars, to get them to the next paycheck or whatever.  If the amount is small, I'll let them borrow it and use it as a test of whether or not I can trust that person.  Usually someone who's finances are so out of order that they cannot scrape up 20$ is untrustworthy, but I give the benefit of the doubt.

Among close friends and coworkers, money is fungible and I just try to make sure I lend slightly more than I borrow (always lunch-sized sums, picking up each others' checks or paying for coffee etc.).  Any farther out ("ack!  i left my wallet at home and need $10 for a sandwich for this business lunch!" to someone I don't see regularly) and it gets paid back the next day.  I can't imagine a coworker not paying back a loan to a person with whom they have only a professional relationship.  And if it's "only 40 dollars" I would say "then it's no big deal for you to pay me back."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10831 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »

Among close friends and coworkers, money is fungible and I just try to make sure I lend slightly more than I borrow (always lunch-sized sums, picking up each others' checks or paying for coffee etc.).  Any farther out ("ack!  i left my wallet at home and need $10 for a sandwich for this business lunch!" to someone I don't see regularly) and it gets paid back the next day.  I can't imagine a coworker not paying back a loan to a person with whom they have only a professional relationship.  And if it's "only 40 dollars" I would say "then it's no big deal for you to pay me back."

Yup, I get that a lot with customers that want me to drop my price by a quarter cause "it's only a quarter...," to which my usual comment is, "Then if it's only a quarter, you won't mind paying it." All too often a customer will tell me that they can buy my product cheaper, and my response is almost always, "If you can buy it cheaper than you should, but I might be out of stock should you need it later," and I usually will laugh when they call back a week later to try to get it as sometimes I might have sold that item out.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10832 on: October 08, 2015, 09:49:42 AM »
mgosam, just curious, what kind of wholesale business do you do? You can PM if you prefer.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10833 on: October 08, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
mgosam, just curious, what kind of wholesale business do you do? You can PM if you prefer.

Sent you a PM

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10834 on: October 08, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »
I'm sure this has been covered before, but coworkers talking about how as soon as their current $40k truck is paid off, they're going to upgrade to one of the new 1/2 ton trucks that are coming with a diesel option, for the price of $60k.  They will be able to get 20mpg so its a good deal.  I don't know how these people afford it, we make only slightly more than the median income in the U.S. 

Well consider how much you're putting into savings/retirement.  If that number were zero, what kind of car/truck could you get with a 60-month loan for that amount per month?  Sometimes I wonder as well how people buy the things they do, then I realize if I wanted to stop saving I could probably afford payments on a Maserati.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10835 on: October 08, 2015, 10:36:53 AM »

Well consider how much you're putting into savings/retirement.  If that number were zero, what kind of car/truck could you get with a 60-month loan for that amount per month?  Sometimes I wonder as well how people buy the things they do, then I realize if I wanted to stop saving I could probably afford payments on a Maserati.

If I wasn't saving for retirement a financed McLaren or Lamborghini would not be mathematically out of reach...

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10836 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »
If I wasn't saving for retirement a financed McLaren or Lamborghini would not be mathematically out of reach...

Well now I'm curious.  I had to figure out the total loan amount that equaled monthly payments of my current savings rate, at 3% interest.  Then went here:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/price/new,price-range-85000-1420000_by-price

and kept clicking till I got to that number.  I could be driving a 2015 Ferrari 458 Italia (no options).  Or if I wanted to be frugal I could buy James Bond's Aston Martin DB9 with all the options.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10837 on: October 08, 2015, 10:56:45 AM »

Well now I'm curious.  I had to figure out the total loan amount that equaled monthly payments of my current savings rate, at 3% interest.  Then went here:

and kept clicking till I got to that number.  I could be driving a 2015 Ferrari 458 Italia (no options).  Or if I wanted to be frugal I could buy James Bond's Aston Martin DB9 with all the options.

For someone lazy, how much is it? Also does that include upkeep and insurance?

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10838 on: October 08, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »

The Ferrari was $240-250k.  The DB9 comes in at a cheap starting $188k and ends at I think $213k with all the options.

No that's just purchase price why on earth would I want to think about ongoing costs?!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10839 on: October 08, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »

The Ferrari was $240-250k.  The DB9 comes in at a cheap starting $188k and ends at I think $213k with all the options.

No that's just purchase price why on earth would I want to think about ongoing costs?!

I've never had a car payment, what would the DB9 with options, $213k, cost if it were finances at like 3%?

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10840 on: October 08, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »

I've never had a car payment, what would the DB9 with options, $213k, cost if it were finances at like 3%?

Over 84 months, with nothing down, the monthly payment would be $2,814.43

That's a pretty nice car!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10841 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »

Curved TV is a gimmicky way to get people to buy ANOTHER TV. Wow, look everybody - it's curved! Nothing more.

And then in 5 years they will improve lcd side-viewing quality and you'll have to upgrade to a newfangled "flat" screen

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10842 on: October 08, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »
CRT's had a curve...

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10843 on: October 08, 2015, 11:39:38 AM »
CRT's had a curve...
I'm pretty sure they are talking about tv's that are so big that they have a concave curve.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10844 on: October 08, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »

No new car with a payment over $300 for more than 4 years is a good car for a regular person.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10845 on: October 08, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »

MMM Group Buy DB9's?

I'm down. Only $2,714.43 a month with group buy discount guys!

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10846 on: October 08, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
lol I just heard "I have no gas in my car and $10 in my wallet."

Not sure if srs..but payday is apparently tomorrow, so maybe it's true!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10847 on: October 08, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
lol I just heard "I have no gas in my car and $10 in my wallet."

Not sure if srs..but payday is apparently tomorrow, so maybe it's true!

I have no gas in my car, $2 dollars in my wallet, and payday isn't for another week!

But I also have a credit card with no balance and a debit card in my wallet.  So probably not an apples to apples conversation.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10848 on: October 08, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »
CRT's had a curve...

That curve decreased the viewing experience. Curving the other way makes it "better".

Prairie Stash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10849 on: October 08, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »
Textbooks make me angry. From a few years back when I took an economics class.

Prof (1st class): You are required to pay for online access to take quizzes for this class and see the online textbook
Me: (after class): I'm on student loans and don't have money for this
Prof: Then you'll fail the quizzes if you don't find the money
Me: University bylaw says profs can't force students to pay for any textbooks or online access (summary of me digging in)
Prof: That may be but surely you can come up with the money, maybe you can ask a friend for money? (summary of him being belligerent)
Me: No, I'm poor, again University bylaws prohibit this.
Prof: Fine, I'll get you special access for free

At my University there are requirements for all textbooks used by classes to be available (in very limited quantity) in the library, it paid off skimming the bylaws. I also aced his class, turns out I'm good with econ.