Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252597 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #10700 on: October 07, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
Your coworker is a stand-up guy. He took an $800 gamble to help someone out, but he's not an idiot and cut his losses.

I did something like this, on a smaller scale.  We'd just moved to a new state and introduced ourselves to the neighbors, and 2 days later the 18ish year old son of one of them, who we had talked to briefly, knocked on the door to borrow $5 for gas for his car to get to his practice with his garage band.  I loaned him $10, figuring that would be a good test of whether he was reliable.  If so, we could hire him for house sitting, snow shoveling when we traveled, etc. 

About 5 months later, I brought it up in conversation, in case he had forgotten (it has happened to me), but he was short of money at the time.  About a year after the initial borrowing, he saw me getting out of the car, came over and gave me the $10 with a brief apology for being so late, he had finally gotten a job.  So he is not dishonest, just generally irresponsible.  It was worth risking $10 to me to find out what a neighbor was like. 

Contrast this with a similar situation with a well paid, professional co-worker some years earlier, where I loaned him $40 because he was short of cash, and when I brought it up a couple of months later, he scowled and said "What is the big deal about $40?".  I didn't make an issue of it, but learned something useful from that as well.  When someone says "What is the big deal about (some amount of money they owe you)", it is typically a big deal to them.  I don't recall if he was one of the co-workers who panicked when payroll was late by a couple of days one time due to some kind of software messup. . .

The real genius is next time he asks to borrow money, you don't need to feel guilty declining the request.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10701 on: October 07, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »
Contrast this with a similar situation with a well paid, professional co-worker some years earlier, where I loaned him $40 because he was short of cash, and when I brought it up a couple of months later, he scowled and said "What is the big deal about $40?".  I didn't make an issue of it, but learned something useful from that as well.  When someone says "What is the big deal about (some amount of money they owe you)", it is typically a big deal to them.  I don't recall if he was one of the co-workers who panicked when payroll was late by a couple of days one time due to some kind of software messup. . .

I quit loaning people money because I got tired of it. They owe me forever. They don't intend to pay unless I ask for it. When I ask for the money back they say, "Why do you want it back? Do you really need it?"

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10702 on: October 07, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »

I quit loaning people money because I got tired of it. They owe me forever. They don't intend to pay unless I ask for it. When I ask for the money back they say, "Why do you want it back? Do you really need it?"

"Do you really need it" drives me nuts. No, I don't really need it. I also don't really need beer, and at that, good beer. I don't need internet. I don't need a lot of things. But where does it stop? Most people that say that have more things/luxuries than me, although I'd guess that my stuff is nicer than their stuff.

I've stopped loaning money to people other than when they're not short, they just don't have it (i.e. need cash at a cash only place, or my brother who's funds were held up due to a bank transfer, etc.) Even then it is a gift, not a loan. If they give it back, lovely.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10703 on: October 07, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »

This is why I give, not loan.  If they ever give back the $20 they borrowed, great.  If they never do, I worry not, because I never expected it back to start with.

obrero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10704 on: October 07, 2015, 07:33:01 PM »
I'm sure this has been covered before, but coworkers talking about how as soon as their current $40k truck is paid off, they're going to upgrade to one of the new 1/2 ton trucks that are coming with a diesel option, for the price of $60k.  They will be able to get 20mpg so its a good deal.  I don't know how these people afford it, we make only slightly more than the median income in the U.S. 

I try to drop nuggets of knowledge about depreciation, how my second 100k miles on my truck (my chevy colorado that I paid 13k for, new) will be much more affordable that the first 100k miles, most are uninterested but once in a while someone seems to give a crap about their future selves. 

obrero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10705 on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:52 PM »

This is why I give, not loan.  If they ever give back the $20 they borrowed, great.  If they never do, I worry not, because I never expected it back to start with.

It's good that when people are broke and they ask for money they will first ask for a small amount, 10 or 20 dollars, to get them to the next paycheck or whatever.  If the amount is small, I'll let them borrow it and use it as a test of whether or not I can trust that person.  Usually someone who's finances are so out of order that they cannot scrape up 20$ is untrustworthy, but I give the benefit of the doubt. 

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #10706 on: October 08, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »

It's good that when people are broke and they ask for money they will first ask for a small amount, 10 or 20 dollars, to get them to the next paycheck or whatever.  If the amount is small, I'll let them borrow it and use it as a test of whether or not I can trust that person.  Usually someone who's finances are so out of order that they cannot scrape up 20$ is untrustworthy, but I give the benefit of the doubt.

Among close friends and coworkers, money is fungible and I just try to make sure I lend slightly more than I borrow (always lunch-sized sums, picking up each others' checks or paying for coffee etc.).  Any farther out ("ack!  i left my wallet at home and need $10 for a sandwich for this business lunch!" to someone I don't see regularly) and it gets paid back the next day.  I can't imagine a coworker not paying back a loan to a person with whom they have only a professional relationship.  And if it's "only 40 dollars" I would say "then it's no big deal for you to pay me back."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10707 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »

Among close friends and coworkers, money is fungible and I just try to make sure I lend slightly more than I borrow (always lunch-sized sums, picking up each others' checks or paying for coffee etc.).  Any farther out ("ack!  i left my wallet at home and need $10 for a sandwich for this business lunch!" to someone I don't see regularly) and it gets paid back the next day.  I can't imagine a coworker not paying back a loan to a person with whom they have only a professional relationship.  And if it's "only 40 dollars" I would say "then it's no big deal for you to pay me back."

Yup, I get that a lot with customers that want me to drop my price by a quarter cause "it's only a quarter...," to which my usual comment is, "Then if it's only a quarter, you won't mind paying it." All too often a customer will tell me that they can buy my product cheaper, and my response is almost always, "If you can buy it cheaper than you should, but I might be out of stock should you need it later," and I usually will laugh when they call back a week later to try to get it as sometimes I might have sold that item out.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10708 on: October 08, 2015, 09:49:42 AM »
mgosam, just curious, what kind of wholesale business do you do? You can PM if you prefer.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10709 on: October 08, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
mgosam, just curious, what kind of wholesale business do you do? You can PM if you prefer.

Sent you a PM

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10710 on: October 08, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »
I'm sure this has been covered before, but coworkers talking about how as soon as their current $40k truck is paid off, they're going to upgrade to one of the new 1/2 ton trucks that are coming with a diesel option, for the price of $60k.  They will be able to get 20mpg so its a good deal.  I don't know how these people afford it, we make only slightly more than the median income in the U.S. 

Well consider how much you're putting into savings/retirement.  If that number were zero, what kind of car/truck could you get with a 60-month loan for that amount per month?  Sometimes I wonder as well how people buy the things they do, then I realize if I wanted to stop saving I could probably afford payments on a Maserati.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10711 on: October 08, 2015, 10:36:53 AM »

Well consider how much you're putting into savings/retirement.  If that number were zero, what kind of car/truck could you get with a 60-month loan for that amount per month?  Sometimes I wonder as well how people buy the things they do, then I realize if I wanted to stop saving I could probably afford payments on a Maserati.

If I wasn't saving for retirement a financed McLaren or Lamborghini would not be mathematically out of reach...

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10712 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »
If I wasn't saving for retirement a financed McLaren or Lamborghini would not be mathematically out of reach...

Well now I'm curious.  I had to figure out the total loan amount that equaled monthly payments of my current savings rate, at 3% interest.  Then went here:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/price/new,price-range-85000-1420000_by-price

and kept clicking till I got to that number.  I could be driving a 2015 Ferrari 458 Italia (no options).  Or if I wanted to be frugal I could buy James Bond's Aston Martin DB9 with all the options.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10713 on: October 08, 2015, 10:56:45 AM »

Well now I'm curious.  I had to figure out the total loan amount that equaled monthly payments of my current savings rate, at 3% interest.  Then went here:

and kept clicking till I got to that number.  I could be driving a 2015 Ferrari 458 Italia (no options).  Or if I wanted to be frugal I could buy James Bond's Aston Martin DB9 with all the options.

For someone lazy, how much is it? Also does that include upkeep and insurance?

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10714 on: October 08, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »

The Ferrari was $240-250k.  The DB9 comes in at a cheap starting $188k and ends at I think $213k with all the options.

No that's just purchase price why on earth would I want to think about ongoing costs?!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10715 on: October 08, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »

The Ferrari was $240-250k.  The DB9 comes in at a cheap starting $188k and ends at I think $213k with all the options.

No that's just purchase price why on earth would I want to think about ongoing costs?!

I've never had a car payment, what would the DB9 with options, $213k, cost if it were finances at like 3%?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10716 on: October 08, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »

I've never had a car payment, what would the DB9 with options, $213k, cost if it were finances at like 3%?

Over 84 months, with nothing down, the monthly payment would be $2,814.43

That's a pretty nice car!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10717 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »
Co-worker: As far as TVs go, I really believe you should just spend whatever makes you happy.  I have never yet heard someone say, "I wish I hadn't spent so much on my TV."

This was in the middle of a discussion about a 65inch 4k curved tv vs. the 55inch version.
I don't think the curved TVs are even all that nice.  It cuts down on the number of people you can invite over to watch a movie with you, since you can't fan out as much and still see the TV.  I don't own a TV at all, so maybe I'm mistaken, but that's my $0.02.

I think the curved TV actually makes it easier to see from the sides and that's the whole point of it being curved.

I was curious about all the talk so I checked out ArsTechnica's take. The curve actually makes it harder to see if you're sitting off to the sides. It's arguably better if you're sitting in the middle.

Yeah that's what I've heard. Curved TV's as they currently are, are great if you are sitting in that sweet spot, but otherwise largely not worth the additional costs. That said, as costs go down and technology and research go up, it's possible that they will make sense in the future.

Curved TV is a gimmicky way to get people to buy ANOTHER TV. Wow, look everybody - it's curved! Nothing more.

And then in 5 years they will improve lcd side-viewing quality and you'll have to upgrade to a newfangled "flat" screen

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10718 on: October 08, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »
CRT's had a curve...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #10719 on: October 08, 2015, 11:39:38 AM »
CRT's had a curve...
I'm pretty sure they are talking about tv's that are so big that they have a concave curve.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10720 on: October 08, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »

No new car with a payment over $300 for more than 4 years is a good car for a regular person.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10721 on: October 08, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »

MMM Group Buy DB9's?

I'm down. Only $2,714.43 a month with group buy discount guys!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10722 on: October 08, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
lol I just heard "I have no gas in my car and $10 in my wallet."

Not sure if srs..but payday is apparently tomorrow, so maybe it's true!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10723 on: October 08, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
lol I just heard "I have no gas in my car and $10 in my wallet."

Not sure if srs..but payday is apparently tomorrow, so maybe it's true!

I have no gas in my car, $2 dollars in my wallet, and payday isn't for another week!

But I also have a credit card with no balance and a debit card in my wallet.  So probably not an apples to apples conversation.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10724 on: October 08, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »
CRT's had a curve...

That curve decreased the viewing experience. Curving the other way makes it "better".

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10725 on: October 08, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »
Textbooks make me angry. From a few years back when I took an economics class.

Prof (1st class): You are required to pay for online access to take quizzes for this class and see the online textbook
Me: (after class): I'm on student loans and don't have money for this
Prof: Then you'll fail the quizzes if you don't find the money
Me: University bylaw says profs can't force students to pay for any textbooks or online access (summary of me digging in)
Prof: That may be but surely you can come up with the money, maybe you can ask a friend for money? (summary of him being belligerent)
Me: No, I'm poor, again University bylaws prohibit this.
Prof: Fine, I'll get you special access for free

At my University there are requirements for all textbooks used by classes to be available (in very limited quantity) in the library, it paid off skimming the bylaws. I also aced his class, turns out I'm good with econ.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10726 on: October 08, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
Textbooks make me angry. From a few years back when I took an economics class.

Prof (1st class): You are required to pay for online access to take quizzes for this class and see the online textbook
Me: (after class): I'm on student loans and don't have money for this
Prof: Then you'll fail the quizzes if you don't find the money
Me: University bylaw says profs can't force students to pay for any textbooks or online access (summary of me digging in)
Prof: That may be but surely you can come up with the money, maybe you can ask a friend for money? (summary of him being belligerent)
Me: No, I'm poor, again University bylaws prohibit this.
Prof: Fine, I'll get you special access for free

At my University there are requirements for all textbooks used by classes to be available (in very limited quantity) in the library, it paid off skimming the bylaws. I also aced his class, turns out I'm good with econ.

Heh that's awesome.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10727 on: October 08, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »
I am looking for patio furniture and it's insane how much things cost. I'm more willing to put folding chairs until I find the right price, I'm not going to pay full retail just so it looks cool.

I inherited my grandparents' patio furniture. Its made of plain steel materials like square steel stock, round steel rod, and steel mesh. There was once a patio table and four chairs in the set as I recall but they were sold in a garage sale along the way I guess as they downsized.

This furniture is from the 1970s and lasts forever - at least until your ten year old boy starts using it for vaulting. Even so a quick zap with our MIG welder mended it without a hint of a repair.

Needs a paint job next year. Original paint since the 1970s!

(I'm a buy it once kind of guy. Don't mind change occasionally but I don't like the expense of the buy and replace cycle that cheap things from discount stores leads to.)
You should not use welding equipment on children

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10728 on: October 08, 2015, 06:23:26 PM »
Oh, that's just an old wives' tale. People weld children all the time where I'm from... just wear earplugs to dampen the screaming and it's fine.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10729 on: October 08, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
Oh, that's just an old wives' tale. People weld children all the time where I'm from... just wear earplugs to dampen the screaming and it's fine.

Only in a corporal discipline state.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10730 on: October 09, 2015, 07:14:21 AM »

lol

Some days it's like you guys blow the foam off the top of your coffee's and bring some humor. :)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10731 on: October 09, 2015, 07:48:41 AM »
Yesterday, I was reading the Bogleheads Investing News forum, while taking a break from working with a visitor from another department. He asked what forum I was reading. In a few sentences I described that site in the simplest manner that I could (I'm good at this since I'm an engineer working in DoD reporting up the chain to non-IT management). He told me that he just hands his money to his accountant and tells him "Make me some money". Then he made the "make it rain" gesture with a whoosh sound. Yeah, I know where it is raining money and that whooshing sound is a money sucking-vacuum in his CPA's office. I'm jealous of that cunning professional artiste.
The visitor chap is retired military, with a disability, now a DoD contractor, who runs a fishing charter boat on weekends. Drives 40-ish miles each way daily. In a V8 truck. So much income, pissing it all away. I asked him if he wanted to grab some lunch from the Hispanic deli nearby (my once-a-week eating out disorder); he said he couldn't afford it. Gobsmacked!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:49:12 AM by jinga nation »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10732 on: October 09, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »
Ask your teacher friends how many who welcome the re-introduction of capital punishment in schools

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #10733 on: October 09, 2015, 10:13:12 AM »
Ask your teacher friends how many who welcome the re-introduction of capital punishment in schools

The death penalty seems pretty severe for misbehaving in school.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10734 on: October 09, 2015, 11:20:47 AM »
Maybe so, but it sure would put a stop to it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10735 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »

Is that why states that allow the death penalty have no crime?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10736 on: October 09, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »

Is that why states that allow the death penalty have no crime?

No, silly.  Because it wouldn't be long before there were no kids left in the school!  All that welding of young flesh, and all.  Then we can close the school and reduce property taxes!  Win, win!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10737 on: October 09, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »
No, silly.  Because it wouldn't be long before there were no kids left in the school!  All that welding of young flesh, and all.  Then we can close the school and reduce property taxes!  Win, win!
Property values in this district would soon be a real buying opportunity for any childless Mustachians looking for a nice place to FIRE. Cheap housing, no neighbor kids making noise and TPing your house... sounds good to me ;-)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10738 on: October 09, 2015, 04:16:09 PM »

It wasn't a typo - you obviously didn't go to Catholic school.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #10739 on: October 09, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »

'

corporal, perhaps?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10740 on: October 09, 2015, 05:25:36 PM »

corporal, perhaps?
No - they found nailing a couple of kids to a tree at the start of term generally ensured good behavior from the rest

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:23:58 PM by nobodyspecial »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #10741 on: October 09, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »

The visitor chap is retired military, with a disability, now a DoD contractor, who runs a fishing charter boat on weekends. Drives 40-ish miles each way daily. In a V8 truck. So much income, pissing it all away. I asked him if he wanted to grab some lunch from the Hispanic deli nearby (my once-a-week eating out disorder); he said he couldn't afford it. Gobsmacked!
I'm surrounded by that at work. People who got their military retirement + VA benefits in their late 30s and early 40s and are still working 10-20 years later to lock in another pension while driving long distances from suburban McMansions in 15mpg trucks. If I'd been around as long and brought home as much $$ as they have, I'd be on a beach in the Caribbean right now instead of at this building.
Some of 'em probably love the job. I'm sure others are just stuck on the treadmill.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10742 on: October 09, 2015, 08:25:08 PM »

'

corporal, perhaps?

Typical heathen propaganda. I know plenty of kids who were killed for verbal outbursts, repeated missing of assignments, and staring out of windows.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #10743 on: October 11, 2015, 07:04:54 PM »
I will echo the sentiment from a page or two back that it's nice to see some other car enthusiasts here. I'm reminded of a quote by J. Irwin Miller (former head honcho at Cummins Inc. and philanthropist, especially in the Columbus, Indiana area):
…we would like to see this community come to be not the cheapest community in America, but the very best community of its size in the country. We would like to see it become the city in which the smartest, the ablest, the best young families would like to live…a community which will offer their children the best education available anywhere…a community whose citizens are themselves well-paid and who will not tolerate poverty for others, or slums in their midst.

I'm not looking for the cheapest or most practical possible transportation, but one that is safe, comfortable, enjoyable, and within a reasonable expense range in my budget.

I also can't believe I've read every page of this thread and the Overheard on Facebook thread...

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10744 on: October 11, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
Very apt, Notquitefrugal.  And Columbus, IN, might not be quite what he envisioned, but it's more like it than many communities.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10745 on: October 11, 2015, 10:43:54 PM »
I finally have a couple to share:

My everyday soft-shell Marmot jacket is probably close to 10 years old, and one of the pit zippers is falling apart. This means that the underside of the armpit will now be completely open unless I come up with some sort of fix.  Or I could just get a new coat for $200, but shoot, the rest of the coat is in pretty good shape. I was talking with a coworker/superior about it, and she said she didn't even own clothing that is ten years old.  I'm thinking really?  Not even old jeans?

Same day, a few hours earlier, a couple of coworkers were talking about another coworker who will be retiring in a few weeks after 34 years at the company. (He's 60, so not ER, but not late either.). They noted how rare it is for someone to work at the same company for so long. Then they needled me because I've worked there over 16 years, and they said I could get to 34 also (that would have me also retiring at 60). I said, no, I'd be done before then.  I was asked if I planned to win the lottery. I relied that I had hit the lottery 16 years ago when I started to get our company match:  9.5% plus up to 3% more on a 50% match of my 401k contributions.  Conversation sort of ended there as the one guy is about 10 years older, and I imagine will be working until full retirement age in his late 60s.

I don't even count as mustachian compared to most of you folks, but compared to these people, all of whom are 6-figure earners, I must look like a complete cheapskate.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #10746 on: October 11, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »

My everyday soft-shell Marmot jacket is probably close to 10 years old, and one of the pit zippers is falling apart. This means that the underside of the armpit will now be completely open unless I come up with some sort of fix.  Or I could just get a new coat for $200, but shoot, the rest of the coat is in pretty good shape.

Zippers are a pain to replace, but if you go to a good sewing store like Joann's or Michael's, you will probably be able to find the right size. Make sure you get the kind that come apart in two halves. For an armpit zipper you don't necessarily have to go whole hog and replace the entire zipper. Just sew the new one to the old one, with the inside of the new zipper facing the teeth of the old one, so that when it zips up it'll be facing the outside just like the old zipper. The color of thread won't matter, because it won't be visible from the outside. Make sure to snip off the old zipper head. You don't even need a sewing machine to do this; in fact it'll be faster by hand. Total cost to you: less than $7 for the zipper. I'm assuming you already own a needle and thread.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10747 on: October 12, 2015, 01:42:01 AM »

My everyday soft-shell Marmot jacket is probably close to 10 years old, and one of the pit zippers is falling apart. This means that the underside of the armpit will now be completely open unless I come up with some sort of fix.  Or I could just get a new coat for $200, but shoot, the rest of the coat is in pretty good shape.

Zippers are a pain to replace, but if you go to a good sewing store like Joann's or Michael's, you will probably be able to find the right size. Make sure you get the kind that come apart in two halves. For an armpit zipper you don't necessarily have to go whole hog and replace the entire zipper. Just sew the new one to the old one, with the inside of the new zipper facing the teeth of the old one, so that when it zips up it'll be facing the outside just like the old zipper. The color of thread won't matter, because it won't be visible from the outside. Make sure to snip off the old zipper head. You don't even need a sewing machine to do this; in fact it'll be faster by hand. Total cost to you: less than $7 for the zipper. I'm assuming you already own a needle and thread.

You can just sew the pit closed.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #10748 on: October 12, 2015, 08:26:29 AM »

You can just sew the pit closed.

Unless you want to still be able to use the vent as designed. It sounds to me like the vent was being used, otherwise the zipper wouldn't have failed.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #10749 on: October 12, 2015, 10:38:57 AM »

+1 for handsewing, unless you have a zipper foot for your sewing machine and know how to use it