Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253376 times)

Kashmani

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #10600 on: September 24, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »
I like spin class.  But it's included in my gym membership.

When I saw "spin class" I thought it was a how-to for Whirling Dervishes.
Too much PBS TV for me I guess (free OTA TV of course).

Didn't know that stationary bikes had a "class" and was a thing.

THAT's what spin class is? Stationary bikes? I assumed it was some sort of dance-based exercise program like Zumba.

As much fun as it is to mock spin classes, they are a really good workout. I know a few people that attend regular classes held at their gym (including in their membership) and many of these are people that normally wouldn't regularly exercise, but the instructors they said are good and motivating and working out with other people helps fuel them and many of them have lost a good chunk of weight.

Now there are really expensive gyms out there or classes that cost quite a lot of money. I wouldn't ever recommend them, but if you are already going to the gym and find that a structured class would benefit you, why not?

I mean, sure plenty of people can get buff by just buying dumbells and a bench and doing pushups, but that's not for everyone. Some people enjoy going to a gym to use their equipment, and others prefer to go to a strength and conditioning class. I know a few people that have taken a boot camp, which I think is overpriced, and got in really good shape. I am currently doing Insanity because I found myself in a workout rut and really wanted to get in shape.

I used to bike-commute but I absolutely love spin class. It is the second-best stress release there is, and the best that does not involve my wife. I live to close to work to get a good workout biking and when it is minus 30 outside, all bets are off anyway. Plus, it significantly helps my motivation to have fit 20somethings yell at me at 6:15 in the morning. Don't knock spin class.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10601 on: September 24, 2015, 06:15:07 PM »
There are car people around for whom car culture is, in some way or another, a deliberate line item on a budget, but it's still easier to be quiet on the forums than risk the facepunches from those with different priorities.

I agree 100%, but for us just replace "car" with "sailboat".

Make my line item on the budget - jewelry and gemstones, at least they don't depreciate and you can often get them at 0% interest. Currently, I am in severe withdrawal mode, no new purchases unless I can pay cash.

Oh, and that "got one" post - I don't even want to know what his retirement stash looks like. Living in la la land of utter denial.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10602 on: September 25, 2015, 03:12:37 AM »
CW1: I've decided I only need to win one million [pounds] on the lottery, then I can buy a house for £900,000 and live on the rest. That's my plan.
CW2: Yeah, that's my plan for a pension, how much would I need to win for that?
CW1: I dunno, can I borrow £2 for my ticket - it's a rollover this week and I don't get paid til Friday

CW2 is (I think) about 52, has just spent a fortune on cosmetic surgery (it does look good), has a new designer handbag every week, and jokes (I think) about just throwing away clothes after wearing them once because she can't be bothered to wash them.

Work has just changed the pension scheme and offered everyone free financial planning to understand the new system. They opted everyone in at 2% and both CWs opted out because they couldn't afford not to have a pay rise (they timed it so that the pension contributions were pretty much eaten up by the annual pay rise). I'm paying 4% and getting a 12% match, so they are throwing away a decent chunk of free money. But the plan is to win the lottery.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10603 on: September 25, 2015, 04:29:35 AM »
Work has just changed the pension scheme and offered everyone free financial planning to understand the new system. They opted everyone in at 2% and both CWs opted out because they couldn't afford not to have a pay rise (they timed it so that the pension contributions were pretty much eaten up by the annual pay rise). I'm paying 4% and getting a 12% match, so they are throwing away a decent chunk of free money. But the plan is to win the lottery.

Well, if they win they dont need the pension. btw: In Germany someone just won 33 million €, 5th highest win ever in Germany.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10604 on: September 25, 2015, 05:03:40 AM »

Well, if they win they dont need the pension. btw: In Germany someone just won 33 million €, 5th highest win ever in Germany.
Yeah, it wasn't me. Haven't played for a very long time but it looks like my luck with the lottery is about the same as it ever was. Still, for a small amount of money (only ever do the minimum) it was a pleasant few hours worth of daydreaming.

tanzee

• Stubble
« Reply #10605 on: September 25, 2015, 05:58:47 AM »
The high-rise building I work in has a gym (complete with exercise bikes) that's free for tenants' employees to use, as well as a separate (very expensive) "spin class" business. It also has reasonably-secure covered bike parking.

So I'm in the elevator with a lady who works at some law firm on the floor below mine. She looks me over -- I'm wearing a neon yellow t-shirt, shorts, cycling gloves, cycling shoes and carrying a pannier, so about the only way to make it even more obvious that I'm a cyclist would have been to carry my helmet -- and she asks me if I do the spin class. I resisted the urge to laugh derisively and go off on a tirade about how stupid a concept "spin class" (and especially, paying for it) is, and instead merely said "no, I ride an actual bike."

I feel similarly about spin classes.  But I generally refrain from saying anything lest some delicate snowflake get offended. 

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #10606 on: September 25, 2015, 07:56:19 AM »
Re: textbook conversation:  I've had profs at my community college and again at private U be very supportive of students sharing textbooks and taking the cheapest route.

I've learned to wait a good week into classes to verify that we really need the textbook, then I ask if I can use an older edition.  Usually that's a yes and it's no trouble. The one instance it wasn't ok the prof loaned me an extra copy they had.

I've done a couple kindle versions on my phone.  Considered getting a kindle just to reduce backpack weight, but it didn't make sense this semester. Kindle versions are usually images of the pages, not formatted for e reading. I've only viewed them on my phone and computer but for a large text book with multiple columns of text that is ridiculously uncomfortable and difficult to read. Not user friendly at all.

I did one time get a free preview of a kindle textbook for an online class. I completed the entire class in the 7 day preview. I was not going to spend that $70. Hah.

Overheard:  "Not having a bank is so much more difficult than I thought.  I can't buy anything online."

I hardly ever bought a book in college. After the first class i would set down with the professor and ask questions to decide if i needed the book or not.

Can we use it on the tests and quizes? If no, no way im buying it. If yes, I'm buying the old edition.
Do the homeowrk problems come from the book or do you make them up? If they come from the book I would find a library copy and make copies of all the problem pages. Or get them from a friend.

A few of my professors thought I was annoying but most thought it was great I was being so resourceful. When I graduated one of professors came up and talked to my dad to tell him I was the only student he has ever had who refused to buy the book if I could use it on the test. Most student just buy the book by default.

Overall, my grade probably could have been better but like my grandpa taught me, "What do you call a doctor that got all C's and D's? ... Doctor"

cthoops

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10607 on: September 25, 2015, 08:08:21 AM »
There are car people around for whom car culture is, in some way or another, a deliberate line item on a budget, but it's still easier to be quiet on the forums than risk the facepunches from those with different priorities.

I agree 100%, but for us just replace "car" with "sailboat".

Not if you live on the sailboat.

True. That's the plan - May 1, 2021. It can't come soon enough!

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #10608 on: September 25, 2015, 08:25:23 AM »
Overall, my grade probably could have been better but like my grandpa taught me, "What do you call a doctor that got all C's and D's? ... Doctor"

What do you call a doctor that got all C's and D's in undergrad?  Nothing because he never got accepted to grad school.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10609 on: September 25, 2015, 08:43:32 AM »
I've got one.

I've got a co-worker, whose male, single ~45yrs old,  buys lunch everyday, goes out to the pub 3 to 4 times a week, regularly spends more on booze/smokes then I do on rent and regularly complains that he/we need a pay rise as he struggles to pay off his credit card and make ends meet since he got a mortgage.   I and others in our office have told him that or pay is actually good considering the market rate for our field and that most of us (not me) have mortgages and are coping well enough.  The difference is that he isn't getting good returns on his investment and isn't managing his money well.  He jokingly asked us how much better better off could he be and I offhand said about $1000 a month maybe more; he just looked at me like I was talking witchcraft...

So I explained:
1) He has a 3 bedroom house in a nice location and he only uses 1 room.  He can easily rent out the two spare bedrooms for an extra ~$800 p/m income.  He dismissed the idea as he didn't like the idea of living in a share house, he would rather just have 2 empty rooms and more privacy.   Alternatively I said if he doesn't want to share he could rent a small place much closer to work for ~$200 p/w and lease out his whole house for probably ~$500 p/w - Nope - it's his house and he's going to stay there.

2) Make lunch or bring in leftovers - Nope - he doesn't like cooking so he would rather spend $100 p/w buying lunch.

3) Spend less money at the pub by not drinking at the pub - Nope - I asked why doesn't he just invite his mates over for a drink as it's not like has has a Mrs to complain, he would be spending $50 for a carton of beer instead of $10 a pint and he wouldn't have to worry about how to get home from the pub after a few drinks.  Nope - the pub is worth the extra money as it a nicer place to drink in.

4) Cut back on smokes or buy them cheaper - Nope - he cant kick the habit and he has to have the premium ones that taste the nicest and he has to buy them from the local store as its the most convenient even if it's more expensive.

5) Pay off the Credit card ASAP or balance transfer it to another bank with lower interest - nope his current one has all the rewards points and it's somehow bundled with his other accounts so it would be too annoying to move...

I just shake my head and move on as at the end of the day its not my problem...

Good effort nick69, but people are comfortable in the ruts they are in.  Scary for them to make changes.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #10610 on: September 25, 2015, 09:01:22 AM »

What do you call a doctor that got all C's and D's in undergrad?  Nothing because he never got accepted to grad school.

haha Good point.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10611 on: September 25, 2015, 10:44:14 AM »

THAT's what spin class is? Stationary bikes? I assumed it was some sort of dance-based exercise program like Zumba.
Yes, that's what it is.

I'm not sure how long they've been around, really.  I remember starting some time before I was pregnant with my first child, so 10 years ago.
Like Zumba, or boot camp, or any new "class" type thing - when they are fresh and new, they cost $$.  Gyms installed spin class rooms, but you had to pay extra - they were not included in your membership.  And of course anyone wanting to do the "new thing" would have to pay extra.

I of course always wait until they are "included" in the gym membership.  Even my YMCA now has "new" classes (I don't actually know what the latest thing is right now - maybe some water aerobics?) that you pay for.  But Zumba, and boot camp, and spin are included.

I actually like spin classes (and so does my husband).  Generally my 2x a week at the gym I swim laps, but occasionally sub a spin class (because I get to sleep in an extra 15 minutes).

Advantages:
1.  I work out at 5:30 am.  It's dark.  The spin room has lights.
2.  It's a pretty hard workout.
3.  Depending on the teacher, it's fun - people and music (I love group fitness, I feed off others).  Some teachers do more dance-y things, and some are more "cyclists".  I prefer the "cyclists" myself - these are generally men and women who cycle outdoors for fun and race and such.  So their classes are like that - you pretend to do a race, or a particular climb, or whatever.
4.  No chance of falling off.  I did spin during both pregnancies.  Only stopping with #2 at 8 months when I simply couldn't climb on the bike anymore.  Also, the bike was equipped with a heart rate monitor, which was important for me during pregnancy.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #10612 on: September 25, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
Flipping this thread on its head because I discovered a coworker who actually has her shit together...

CW - So we are looking at a new property.
ME - Oh really - where are you looking?
CW - We found 20 acres in <Expensive area>
ME - Wow, wish I could afford something like that!
CW - Oh you don't understand, we are going to subdivide it and our family is going in on lots. Once we all build, it will work out to $XXX per site (half the going price) but each of us are chipping in an extra $$$ so we can pay for Mom's place.
ME - Hey that's pretty cool, but building is expensive - how will that go down.
CW - Not a big issue. I'm doing the grading plan, My cousin is doing the surveying, my uncle is digging foundations,  etc. etc. etc.

By the time it's all done most of her family will live in this new tract and they will all be caring for their parents, in houses built at a fraction of the going cost. What is interesting is that she was discussing the cost savings not only of the family building/engineering the site, but also the end of life care savings and quality for her parents/aunts/uncles who are nearing end of life. Pretty fricking amazing that the family would do this. I'm blown away.

This would never happen in my family.

That's one damn useful family

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10613 on: September 25, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
Flipping this thread on its head because I discovered a coworker who actually has her shit together...

CW - Oh you don't understand, we are going to subdivide it and our family is going in on lots. Once we all build, it will work out to $XXX per site (half the going price) but each of us are chipping in an extra $$$ so we can pay for Mom's place.
CW - Not a big issue. I'm doing the grading plan, My cousin is doing the surveying, my uncle is digging foundations,  etc. etc. etc.

By the time it's all done most of her family will live in this new tract and they will all be caring for their parents, in houses built at a fraction of the going cost. What is interesting is that she was discussing the cost savings not only of the family building/engineering the site, but also the end of life care savings and quality for her parents/aunts/uncles who are nearing end of life. Pretty fricking amazing that the family would do this. I'm blown away.

Good for her. It sounds like a great family if they get along that well to do that sort of thing. You can really end up well off if you have a family that works together likes this.

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #10614 on: September 25, 2015, 06:02:16 PM »

My attorney family members always finished this joke with, "defendant."

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10615 on: September 26, 2015, 05:39:34 AM »
One of my employees in our high cost of living area has student loans (her job does not require a degree), of some amount and lives at home. She orders a salad for lunch from the local pizza joint for lunch every single day. In the last 6 months she has been in 4 weddings complete with expensive bridesmaids dresses etc., and has traveled to 4 locations for bachelorette parties. Twice to Las Vegas (cross country), once to New Orleans, and once to Austin to stay in hotels (at least they share rooms), and drink at bars all night long. When asked about why she would spend all that money traveling just for the bachelorette parties, she replied that she has FOMO (fear of missing out). She currently makes under $36K per year here at work and also works at a bar 1 night a week. I cannot imagine.

So I make more than this girl does, but when I'm asked to be part of a wedding, I go all in.  Thus far I've been in my own (haha) and a MOH in another.  So if I'm a bridesmaid I will be at the shower and the bachelorette barring some crazy unforseen circumstances.  Also, I"m guessing this girl didn't get to plan the events, so couldn't control costs from the start.  But I would have done the same thing, and chalked it up to an expensive year.  I would think this could never happen again...I mean how many times does one person end up in 4 weddings in one year?  Although she probably could have limited the eating out while traveling, number of drinks each night, and looked for deals on flights; based on you posting about her here, I'm guessing she didn't do any of that.  And the salad thing is dumb.  But a lot of these events are literally once in a lifetime (I hope everyone she knows stays married), so I would also have FOMO.  But maybe I'm just young and dumb.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10616 on: September 26, 2015, 07:22:46 AM »
One of my employees in our high cost of living area has student loans (her job does not require a degree), of some amount and lives at home. She orders a salad for lunch from the local pizza joint for lunch every single day. In the last 6 months she has been in 4 weddings complete with expensive bridesmaids dresses etc., and has traveled to 4 locations for bachelorette parties. Twice to Las Vegas (cross country), once to New Orleans, and once to Austin to stay in hotels (at least they share rooms), and drink at bars all night long. When asked about why she would spend all that money traveling just for the bachelorette parties, she replied that she has FOMO (fear of missing out). She currently makes under $36K per year here at work and also works at a bar 1 night a week. I cannot imagine.

So I make more than this girl does, but when I'm asked to be part of a wedding, I go all in.  Thus far I've been in my own (haha) and a MOH in another.  So if I'm a bridesmaid I will be at the shower and the bachelorette barring some crazy unforseen circumstances.  Also, I"m guessing this girl didn't get to plan the events, so couldn't control costs from the start.  But I would have done the same thing, and chalked it up to an expensive year.  I would think this could never happen again...I mean how many times does one person end up in 4 weddings in one year?  Although she probably could have limited the eating out while traveling, number of drinks each night, and looked for deals on flights; based on you posting about her here, I'm guessing she didn't do any of that.  And the salad thing is dumb.  But a lot of these events are literally once in a lifetime (I hope everyone she knows stays married), so I would also have FOMO.  But maybe I'm just young and dumb.

When I was young and getting married...we didn't do dumb stuff like have destination weddings AND destination bachelorettes.  Which is totally the thing now.

Of course, I got married where I lived, which required family to travel.
My 3 unmarried bridesmaids/ groomsman got married where I had to travel (because by then I'd moved cross country, and they got married in NY, NM, and CA).
But they didn't have destination bachelorette parties.

Now get off my lawn. Ha!

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10617 on: September 26, 2015, 10:49:10 AM »

Hey now, that type of talk is not allowed here. We have a thread for that language..
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work-the-anti-antimustachian-edition/

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10618 on: September 26, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
Many, but not all profs give the royalty to charity.

I am a prof and never adopt a new edition until it at least one year old so students can buy it used. If it's brand new, they do not have any options and have to pay $120-150 for the new text. When I do this, I get some serious resistance from the bookstore. They call me like 3 times before the order is filled. "Don't you know there is a new edition? Would you like us to order the new edition? I can't guarantee that I can get enough copies of the old textbook to the bookstore and some students might not be able to get a book." My response, is "Yes, I know there is a new edition. No do I not want the new edition. Students know how to order books on-line." 

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10619 on: September 27, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »

When I was young and getting married...we didn't do dumb stuff like have destination weddings AND destination bachelorettes.  Which is totally the thing now.

Of course, I got married where I lived, which required family to travel.
My 3 unmarried bridesmaids/ groomsman got married where I had to travel (because by then I'd moved cross country, and they got married in NY, NM, and CA).
But they didn't have destination bachelorette parties.

Now get off my lawn. Ha!

Just to clarify:  The girl in the story may be going to actual destination bachelorettes.  I hosted one but drove everyone there and asked for $60 to cover lodging and food for the bride for the entire weekend.  I think it was pretty MMM since there's the same 10 bars within an hour of where we live, and we'd definitely run into relatives of someone and awkwardly say hi-getting away is the only great choice.  But for all of my other friends, I will travel hundreds of miles for their weddings and bachelorettes, because they're far away.  Not because they're doing some crazy destination thing, but because I will need to travel to them.  But I agree-this new destination everything trend is ridiculous, especially when the bride/groom already live in a city and therefore have a nightlife to go to for a bachelorette (if that's their thing).

shzm93

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10620 on: September 27, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
Overheard not at work, but on Facebook:

-A young couple with one baby paying $3,000 in RENT per month for a large townhome

-Another young couple who just bought a brand-new, custom-built home, but have plans to redo the entire kitchen because "we don't like it"

WHUUT

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #10621 on: September 27, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »

-A young couple with one baby paying $3,000 in RENT per month for a large townhome

-Another young couple who just bought a brand-new, custom-built home, but have plans to redo the entire kitchen because "we don't like it"

WHUUT
Depending on the area, $3000 in rent isn't too bad.
My girlfriend and I pay $2800 for a very nice one-bedroom in Jersey City, and fancier ones exist in the area (not to mention Manhattan).
We could have found a cheaper place, but we spend a lot of time at home so it's a worthwhile expense for us.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10622 on: September 27, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »

Make my line item on the budget - jewelry and gemstones, at least they don't depreciate and you can often get them at 0% interest. Currently, I am in severe withdrawal mode, no new purchases unless I can pay cash.

If you buy it when gold is $1800+ an ounce and sell it at $1100- an ounce it sure does depreciate.
Plus, if you are buying it retail you are unlikely to get a retail price when you sell it, so, in effect, it does depreciate as well.   Obviously, if you are buying a Lalique item, the above comments don't apply.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10623 on: September 27, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »

I am a prof and never adopt a new edition until it at least one year old so students can buy it used. If it's brand new, they do not have any options and have to pay $120-150 for the new text. When I do this, I get some serious resistance from the bookstore. They call me like 3 times before the order is filled. "Don't you know there is a new edition? Would you like us to order the new edition? I can't guarantee that I can get enough copies of the old textbook to the bookstore and some students might not be able to get a book." My response, is "Yes, I know there is a new edition. No do I not want the new edition. Students know how to order books on-line."

I applaud academics who make sensible choices like this!

The last two years of my undergraduate professional degree* had NO required commercial texts. The lecturers had all authored extended lecture notes that were either printed at a little above cost price (somewhere between $7 and $15) or available as pdf. They were designed to be used for the course but also as references in the first few years post graduation to save on the cost of purchasing a reference library in the first few years after graduation. I used some of them extensively for the first five years or so, until I suspected the content wasn't sufficiently current. Some of them were over 500 pages in length and were probably the culmination of a decade's worth of writing, editing and re-editing at the end of each year.

* There's definitely some culture differences here in Australia- lots of professional qualifications can be obtained with a long double-major undergraduate degree. Mine was a five-year double major.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10624 on: September 27, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »

WHUUT
A bunch of my co-workers treat everything as disposable. It drives me crazy.

The rhetoric always revolves around 'deserving to have nice things'. I understand that it is nice to be surrounded by nice things but I don't get the churn. Never mind the financial impact of replacing furniture every few years, the environmental impact is horrific.

One co-worker purchased bar stools 18 months ago and is now replacing them because they aren't the right 'style'. They cost $600 new and now can't find a buyer at $80.

I also understand wanting to redo a kitchen if it isn't well designed but I wouldn't be able to bring myself to rip out a new kitchen and replace it. Besides the enormous waste of resources, I'd be paying for a new kitchen twice. I'd rather not buy the house and build from scratch or find a home that has a kitchen in a condition and actually warrants a renovation (and has a purchase price that reflects the work required).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10625 on: September 28, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »

One co-worker purchased bar stools 18 months ago and is now replacing them because they aren't the right 'style'. They cost $600 new and now can't find a buyer at $80.

This is the most crazy thing about owning a home, imo. I am looking for patio furniture and it's insane how much things cost. I'm more willing to put folding chairs until I find the right price, I'm not going to pay full retail just so it looks cool. Price and comfort are the only things I care about when it comes to furniture. I was lucky in that my parents had a porch full of couches that were just collecting dust that they were happy to donate to me, and that my former roommate had a perfectly good wood dinner table that he was going to sell and that he just gave me as a "house warming present."

You might think that since I saved the cost of couches, recliner, and dinner table/chairs, that I might splurge on a coffee table and patio furniture..think again :-)!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10626 on: September 28, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »
Re: textbook conversation:  I've had profs at my community college and again at private U be very supportive of students sharing textbooks and taking the cheapest route.

I've learned to wait a good week into classes to verify that we really need the textbook, then I ask if I can use an older edition.  Usually that's a yes and it's no trouble. The one instance it wasn't ok the prof loaned me an extra copy they had.

I've done a couple kindle versions on my phone.  Considered getting a kindle just to reduce backpack weight, but it didn't make sense this semester. Kindle versions are usually images of the pages, not formatted for e reading. I've only viewed them on my phone and computer but for a large text book with multiple columns of text that is ridiculously uncomfortable and difficult to read. Not user friendly at all.

I did one time get a free preview of a kindle textbook for an online class. I completed the entire class in the 7 day preview. I was not going to spend that $70. Hah.

Overheard:  "Not having a bank is so much more difficult than I thought.  I can't buy anything online."

I hardly ever bought a book in college. After the first class i would set down with the professor and ask questions to decide if i needed the book or not.

Can we use it on the tests and quizes? If no, no way im buying it. If yes, I'm buying the old edition.
Do the homeowrk problems come from the book or do you make them up? If they come from the book I would find a library copy and make copies of all the problem pages. Or get them from a friend.

A few of my professors thought I was annoying but most thought it was great I was being so resourceful. When I graduated one of professors came up and talked to my dad to tell him I was the only student he has ever had who refused to buy the book if I could use it on the test. Most student just buy the book by default.

I went to college in the 80's but the way they had it in college, you could sell your textbook back to the store after you were done with it. So when you were buying books for the semester, there was a certain amount of used you could buy, and then some new. Most of the books I got were used, with a few new if say it was a new edition for the class or they ran out of used textbooks. I remember my professors were in general pretty sensitive about not having their students incur high costs for the class, but most classes did require a textbook.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #10627 on: September 28, 2015, 11:43:18 AM »

The last two years of my undergraduate professional degree* had NO required commercial texts. The lecturers had all authored extended lecture notes that were either printed at a little above cost price (somewhere between $7 and $15) or available as pdf. They were designed to be used for the course but also as references in the first few years post graduation to save on the cost of purchasing a reference library in the first few years after graduation. I used some of them extensively for the first five years or so, until I suspected the content wasn't sufficiently current. Some of them were over 500 pages in length and were probably the culmination of a decade's worth of writing, editing and re-editing at the end of each year.

When I went to school, the professors were never that nice, but the worst one easily stands out.  On top of having to get a new book (that actually stated the school and semester for the book so no used market at all for $125 from the school bookstore), we also had to purchase the professor's notes so stuff he couldn't cover in class was still covered incase it made it on the test ($40 from bookstore A) and a copy of the professor's lecture slides that we were required to use for taking notes on($50 from Bookstore B), the professor actually had TA's circling that would call you out if you used a normal notebook or laptop for taking notes - they had to be on his purchased slide printouts. 

So after hosing us for over $200 already, he also was "generous enough" to release his "test review notes" ($25 per test for the first 2 test and $50 for the final, only at Bookstore C) that was just his slides with notes on what would be on the test that year.  I could have just bought that, split the cost with a couple people and never had to go to his class.

Also, all these items had to be "pre-ordered" before the school year started so we couldn't get one and decide if the entire group needed their own copy (like the slides) or if we could just share one (everything else).  Also, the book was never used except for 1 question that changed each year to ensure people bought the new book.  But since it changed for each school and each semester, you can't sell it back to anyone.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #10628 on: September 28, 2015, 11:45:11 AM »
Christ, what an asshole.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10629 on: September 28, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »

When I went to school, the professors were never that nice, but the worst one easily stands out.  On top of having to get a new book (that actually stated the school and semester for the book so no used market at all for $125 from the school bookstore), we also had to purchase the professor's notes so stuff he couldn't cover in class was still covered incase it made it on the test ($40 from bookstore A) and a copy of the professor's lecture slides that we were required to use for taking notes on($50 from Bookstore B), the professor actually had TA's circling that would call you out if you used a normal notebook or laptop for taking notes - they had to be on his purchased slide printouts. 

So after hosing us for over $200 already, he also was "generous enough" to release his "test review notes" ($25 per test for the first 2 test and $50 for the final, only at Bookstore C) that was just his slides with notes on what would be on the test that year.  I could have just bought that, split the cost with a couple people and never had to go to his class.

Also, all these items had to be "pre-ordered" before the school year started so we couldn't get one and decide if the entire group needed their own copy (like the slides) or if we could just share one (everything else).  Also, the book was never used except for 1 question that changed each year to ensure people bought the new book.  But since it changed for each school and each semester, you can't sell it back to anyone.

Yeah I had a professor that was a dick about his textbook. He told me once when I mentioned that there are cheaper versions of the same textbook that, "Well it's only $200 when you're spending a fortunate in tuition." To which I mentioned, "Please tell that to my roommate that works 30 hours a week to pay for living expenses, he's on a scholarship, but only $200 means a week of working at Jimmy John's..if he's lucky and people actually tip him." That shut him up.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #10630 on: September 28, 2015, 11:06:23 PM »

When I teach a spinning class, the students go home with the ability to make their own knitting yarn. I was distinctly confused the first time I heard spinning to mean stationary bike. I'm sure stationary bike people are confused by me too, but spinning meant "making yarn" before it meant "pretending to ride a bike."

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10631 on: September 29, 2015, 07:33:59 AM »
As much fun as it is to mock spin classes, they are a really good workout. I know a few people that attend regular classes held at their gym...

Come to the hilly south and go bike riding with me. ;)

Not very safe after dark (cars) and riding in the winter isn't much fun (windchill)...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10632 on: September 29, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »
I am looking for patio furniture and it's insane how much things cost. I'm more willing to put folding chairs until I find the right price, I'm not going to pay full retail just so it looks cool.

I inherited my grandparents' patio furniture. Its made of plain steel materials like square steel stock, round steel rod, and steel mesh. There was once a patio table and four chairs in the set as I recall but they were sold in a garage sale along the way I guess as they downsized.

This furniture is from the 1970s and lasts forever - at least until your ten year old boy starts using it for vaulting. Even so a quick zap with our MIG welder mended it without a hint of a repair.

Needs a paint job next year. Original paint since the 1970s!

(I'm a buy it once kind of guy. Don't mind change occasionally but I don't like the expense of the buy and replace cycle that cheap things from discount stores leads to.)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10633 on: September 29, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »
I work from home, so technically I got paid to hear this -

Met the other new neighbor yesterday. Nice older lady (50ish I would guess) has her grown daughter and 2 grandkids living with her.

I could tell she wasn't thrilled they still live with her based on some of her comments.

She made a comment that they eat lobster. So I made a joke that at least they are eating good.

She said "yeah, they are eating good but on Nana's dime" :(

That sucks to hear.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #10634 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
I work from home, so technically I got paid to hear this -

Met the other new neighbor yesterday. Nice older lady (50ish I would guess) has her grown daughter and 2 grandkids living with her.

I could tell she wasn't thrilled they still live with her based on some of her comments.

She made a comment that they eat lobster. So I made a joke that at least they are eating good.

She said "yeah, they are eating good but on Nana's dime" :(

That sucks to hear.

My grandma would bakchand me if I tried to pull somthing like that. haha

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10635 on: September 29, 2015, 09:41:09 AM »
I went to college in the 80's but the way they had it in college, you could sell your textbook back to the store after you were done with it. So when you were buying books for the semester, there was a certain amount of used you could buy, and then some new. Most of the books I got were used, with a few new if say it was a new edition for the class or they ran out of used textbooks. I remember my professors were in general pretty sensitive about not having their students incur high costs for the class, but most classes did require a textbook.

Used books do cost less than new ones, but are still really expensive. I never bought a new book if I could help it, but most books still cost a hundred dollars or more. Selling them back never garnered me more than a few dollars!

Not to mention, if new editions are released, you have to buy new.  (In some classes, you could get an old edition, the information presented to learn rarely chnaged; but if a prof used them for homework sets, then the problems changed- and that didn't work.)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10636 on: September 29, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
One of the happiest days in college when it came to buying textbooks was realizing that you could order the international edition for way less. I would always go online to try to find a cheaper price for all of my textbooks, and actually managed to sell my international edition for more than I paid for it a semester later (would buy my math textbook for like $20 and sell it for $30 to someone who's ecstatic because the bookstore wants $60). Plus international editions tend to be paperwork, which makes it so much easier to haul around.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10637 on: September 29, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
One of the happiest days in college when it came to buying textbooks was realizing that you could order the international edition for way less. I would always go online to try to find a cheaper price for all of my textbooks, and actually managed to sell my international edition for more than I paid for it a semester later (would buy my math textbook for like $20 and sell it for $30 to someone who's ecstatic because the bookstore wants $60). Plus international editions tend to be paperwork, which makes it so much easier to haul around.
This!  I did this a few times, and saved several hundred dollars in the process. 

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #10638 on: September 29, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »
Used books do cost less than new ones, but are still really expensive. I never bought a new book if I could help it, but most books still cost a hundred dollars or more. Selling them back never garnered me more than a few dollars!

Direct sales to other students tended to work with everyone being happy at 50% of new price.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10639 on: September 29, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »

WHUUT
Depending on the area, $3000 in rent isn't too bad.
My girlfriend and I pay $2800 for a very nice one-bedroom in Jersey City, and fancier ones exist in the area (not to mention Manhattan).
We could have found a cheaper place, but we spend a lot of time at home so it's a worthwhile expense for us.

Exactly. Location, location, location.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10640 on: September 29, 2015, 11:19:03 AM »

This is the most crazy thing about owning a home, imo. I am looking for patio furniture and it's insane how much things cost. I'm more willing to put folding chairs until I find the right price, I'm not going to pay full retail just so it looks cool. Price and comfort are the only things I care about when it comes to furniture. I was lucky in that my parents had a porch full of couches that were just collecting dust that they were happy to donate to me, and that my former roommate had a perfectly good wood dinner table that he was going to sell and that he just gave me as a "house warming present."

You might think that since I saved the cost of couches, recliner, and dinner table/chairs, that I might splurge on a coffee table and patio furniture..think again :-)!

We found ours at Lowes or Home Depot at the end of season clearance sale. It was very reasonable.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10641 on: September 29, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »

We found ours at Lowes or Home Depot at the end of season clearance sale. It was very reasonable.

Any recommendations? It's starting to get chilly so I plan to go on Sunday to take a look at what's available. I have a screened in 3 season porch. It won't be usable in winter due to it being cold and snowy, but I would like a few comfortable chairs for lounging and a table for consuming some food.

Gundy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10642 on: September 29, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »
A few years ago one of my co-workers invited me to his parent's house for his 30th birthday celebration.

His parent's house was massive. It had 8 bedrooms and situated with a great view of the river. It had a separate suite for his grandmother that also included her own kitchen and living area plus another bedroom. I constantly marveled at the top of the line furnishings and appliances that decorated the home.

The party was catered and featured a live violinist. They probably had 20+ non-family including myself spend the night. The next morning, while eating a catered breakfast on china I had a conversation with my friend's mom. She asked about my parents and I told her that they were both retired to part time jobs but travel most of the year. She sighed, and told me "I wish I could afford to retire."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10643 on: September 29, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »

Same here.. Good deals available if you are willing to wait and troll each store online (different stores will have different sales depending on stock).  The stuff I ended up ordering were floor models so I negotiated an even steeper discount due to scratches (but come on its outdoor furniture so it's gonna get beat up within 1 season).  The manager has a lot of discretion and at that point just wants it out of the stkte

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10644 on: September 29, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »
A few years ago one of my co-workers invited me to his parent's house for his 30th birthday celebration.

His parent's house was massive. It had 8 bedrooms and situated with a great view of the river. It had a separate suite for his grandmother that also included her own kitchen and living area plus another bedroom. I constantly marveled at the top of the line furnishings and appliances that decorated the home.

The party was catered and featured a live violinist. They probably had 20+ non-family including myself spend the night. The next morning, while eating a catered breakfast on china I had a conversation with my friend's mom. She asked about my parents and I told her that they were both retired to part time jobs but travel most of the year. She sighed, and told me "I wish I could afford to retire."

*picks jaw up from floor*

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #10645 on: September 30, 2015, 02:56:33 PM »

I taught first year Physics for a year recently at a Community College, and was asked by a couple of students on the first day of class if they would need the book during the first week.  That puzzled me, until I found out the bookstore wouldn't tell them what book was needed until the day before class, and they wanted to order it for $17 on Amazon instead of $80 from the bookstore.  I told them that was a great idea, and they wouldn't need it that soon.  I remembered way back when in Engineering school used textbooks were hard to come by, most people kept them as references, so I felt badly for them. 

On topic, at work our receptionist had to buy a new washing machine, and spent about $1000.  The thing never really worked right, and after multiple visits from a service person, she bought another, more reliable "old style" top loader, from another place, which has worked fine.  I suggested she fight to get the company to take the first one back, which the service guy also recommended, but she just finds it "too stressful" and won't bother.  I then suggested she have the girlfriend of a son, who apparently doesn't mind that kind of thing, do the arguing for a commission, but she didn't want to bother them either.  She is, however, trying to look for another part time job to supplement the receptionist thing, because she needs the income, and isn't too many years away from retirement. . . 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10646 on: September 30, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »

I taught first year Physics for a year recently at a Community College, and was asked by a couple of students on the first day of class if they would need the book during the first week.  That puzzled me, until I found out the bookstore wouldn't tell them what book was needed until the day before class, and they wanted to order it for $17 on Amazon instead of $80 from the bookstore.  I told them that was a great idea, and they wouldn't need it that soon.  I remembered way back when in Engineering school used textbooks were hard to come by, most people kept them as references, so I felt badly for them. 

On topic, at work our receptionist had to buy a new washing machine, and spent about $1000.  The thing never really worked right, and after multiple visits from a service person, she bought another, more reliable "old style" top loader, from another place, which has worked fine.  I suggested she fight to get the company to take the first one back, which the service guy also recommended, but she just finds it "too stressful" and won't bother.  I then suggested she have the girlfriend of a son, who apparently doesn't mind that kind of thing, do the arguing for a commission, but she didn't want to bother them either.  She is, however, trying to look for another part time job to supplement the receptionist thing, because she needs the income, and isn't too many years away from retirement. . .

Seriously this type of thing pisses of me off. I nearly fired our last receptionist because she would sit at her computer and not do things like this. Ok, fine, you are a receptionist largely because you don't have any initiative, I get that. But when I tell you to do something like this and you don't...because why? If you don't have a good reason, then you're fortunate you weren't axed for it. Once we got an invoice for boxes that included sales tax. As a wholesaler we don't need to pay taxes (as we are reselling them), but I was gone that week and I found out when I got back that she went ahead and paid it, because it was too much of a bother to call up the company and give them our tax ID because it was only "30 dollars" and that it was too late to try to get a refund. "Ok, in that case you won't mind if I take that $30 from your paycheck cause it's only 30 dollars." Of course, ten minutes later she came to me and said that she called the company and they were issuing a refund.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #10647 on: September 30, 2015, 03:20:53 PM »
Seriously this type of thing pisses of me off. I nearly fired our last receptionist because she would sit at her computer and not do things like this. Ok, fine, you are a receptionist largely because you don't have any initiative, I get that. But when I tell you to do something like this and you don't...because why? If you don't have a good reason, then you're fortunate you weren't axed for it. Once we got an invoice for boxes that included sales tax. As a wholesaler we don't need to pay taxes (as we are reselling them), but I was gone that week and I found out when I got back that she went ahead and paid it, because it was too much of a bother to call up the company and give them our tax ID because it was only "30 dollars" and that it was too late to try to get a refund. "Ok, in that case you won't mind if I take that $30 from your paycheck cause it's only 30 dollars." Of course, ten minutes later she came to me and said that she called the company and they were issuing a refund.

I like how $30 isn't worth the effort when it's not her money. I hate it when people treat someone else's money like it's nothing.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10648 on: September 30, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »
A customer's credit card somehow got charged three times, for $10 each time.  She emails our customer service folks in a panic, because apparently she is in a very bad financial situation.  We happily refunded the two erroneous charges, but c'mon, woman, are you really only $20 away from bankruptcy?

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10649 on: September 30, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
I am looking for patio furniture and it's insane how much things cost. I'm more willing to put folding chairs until I find the right price, I'm not going to pay full retail just so it looks cool.

I inherited my grandparents' patio furniture. Its made of plain steel materials like square steel stock, round steel rod, and steel mesh. There was once a patio table and four chairs in the set as I recall but they were sold in a garage sale along the way I guess as they downsized.

This furniture is from the 1970s and lasts forever - at least until your ten year old boy starts using it for vaulting. Even so a quick zap with our MIG welder mended it without a hint of a repair.

Needs a paint job next year. Original paint since the 1970s!

(I'm a buy it once kind of guy. Don't mind change occasionally but I don't like the expense of the buy and replace cycle that cheap things from discount stores leads to.)

The cheapest patio furniture?  Trash picked or a wooden picnic table.  We have a wooden picnic table on our deck.  It seats 6 easily, is compact, never blows away or over in the storm, and has aged to a nice grayed color that we plan to seal before winter.