Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 337595 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #950 on: July 19, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »
Our new employee visited Wisconsin over the weekend. While she was there, she picked up a case of beer (~$30) that you can apparently only get in Wisconsin. She was on public transit, carrying the case home, when somebody offered her $100 for the case because he really liked the beer and didn't want to go to Wisconsin. Tidy $70 profit for her!

That'll be New Glarus, probably Spotted Cow. Good beer for sure--maybe even my favorite beer--but the prices are insane. I usually have one or two while out at a bar when I'm in Wisconsin.

I'm a huge beer lover and really don't see the appeal of Spotted Cow. Maybe I just have too much Minnesotan in me. When driving throuh WI I do love stopping to pick up beer as there are a ton of beers that aren't sold in Minnesota*.

*I squeeled like a little kid when I walked into a beer store near my office and saw that Dogfish is now being carried in Minnesota. The employees there know remember me though instead of laughing at me, I get the "Fight Club nod."

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #951 on: July 19, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
Our new employee visited Wisconsin over the weekend. While she was there, she picked up a case of beer (~$30) that you can apparently only get in Wisconsin. She was on public transit, carrying the case home, when somebody offered her $100 for the case because he really liked the beer and didn't want to go to Wisconsin. Tidy $70 profit for her!

That'll be New Glarus, probably Spotted Cow. Good beer for sure--maybe even my favorite beer--but the prices are insane. I usually have one or two while out at a bar when I'm in Wisconsin.

I'm a huge beer lover and really don't see the appeal of Spotted Cow. Maybe I just have too much Minnesotan in me. When driving throuh WI I do love stopping to pick up beer as there are a ton of beers that aren't sold in Minnesota*.

*I squeeled like a little kid when I walked into a beer store near my office and saw that Dogfish is now being carried in Minnesota. The employees there know remember me though instead of laughing at me, I get the "Fight Club nod."

Dogfish head is nasty to me. I've tried about 4 or 5 of them now. Just... No.

But then I'm typically only a fan of certain stouts, and then after that just Lagers/Kolsches/Pilsners.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #952 on: July 20, 2017, 02:00:22 AM »

But then I'm typically only a fan of certain stouts, and then after that just Lagers/Kolsches/Pilsners.

Did you try the 240 minute IPA?  It's got 200% ABV.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #953 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:50 AM »
I was taking care of my mom's (small) inheritance at Fidelity yesterday, while there the guy saw my other assets on his screen and complimented me on my simple 3 fund portfolio.  He says he has trouble talking people into simple assets with low fees.  Well that's a breath of fresh air!  An investment adviser trying to advise people to buy index funds!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: July 20, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »

Don't know. Don't care. Won't try it. I don't like boozey beers, and I don't like IPA's either.

(I'm assuming that said beer does exist and you meant 20% ABV)

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #955 on: July 20, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »

Don't know. Don't care. Won't try it. I don't like boozey beers, and I don't like IPA's either.

Dragoncar was making a joke, as is usually the case.  Dogfish head 120 minute IPA is a 15-20% beer.  And is fantastic, at least to me.  There's also 60 minute IPA and 90 minute, with ABV's at 6% and 9%.
Link to my journal, so I can find it quickly - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/dandarc's-journal/

EricL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #956 on: July 20, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
It is very sad to me that it took some back and forth on beer - literal foam - to push this thread to 20 pages.  Are co workers really so dim?  Or is it just selective perception?
Gentleman of Leisure

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #957 on: July 20, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
It is very sad to me that it took some back and forth on beer - literal foam - to push this thread to 20 pages.  Are co workers really so dim?  Or is it just selective perception?

I think it is more likely that we just don't see the anti-anti-mustachians because they're not flashy. And there are different levels of it—I think this thread is mostly just “mustachians spotted in the wild” rather than “financially responsible”—which while not mustachian, is also not anti-mustachian.

For instance, my director makes good money, is the type who never wants to retire because he really does enjoy what he does. He eats out lunch every day, and spends probably $50 a week on coffee. However, he has a car that is 20 years old, rides his bike to work quite often, bought his first house when he was 22, has Netflix instead of cable, etc.

Another colleague owns a condo, has roommates, brings her lunch to work. She, along with her brother, did about 25% of the work herself on her kitchen demo and renovation. But the kitchen didn’t need a reno, she just wanted it. She’s certainly not mustachian, but not anti-mustachian either.

But like I said in my first statement, the true anti-anti mustachians are hard to identify. People don’t brag out loud about increasing their 401k contributions or not buying a new car or not going out to dinner.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #958 on: July 20, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »

Oh, now I see.  Try the 0 minute IPW, it's right up your alley.  It's got no hops, malts, yeast, or alcohol.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #959 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:13 PM »

Oh, now I see.  Try the 0 minute IPW, it's right up your alley.  It's got no hops, malts, yeast, or alcohol.

Unflavored for me!

chaskavitch

• Stubble
« Reply #960 on: August 02, 2017, 06:42:25 AM »
One of my newer coworkers (she's been here about a year, and I think she's 24 or so) was asking me about our retirement plans.  We have an outrageously amazing match of 9% (100% match to 6% of your salary, then 50% match to a total of 9% of your salary), and she's already bumped up her contributions to make sure she's getting the whole 9% :) 

She took the Fidelity "how much risk can you handle" quiz when she first signed up, and it has her in about 60% domestic stock, 30% foreign stock, and 10% bonds, with the domestic stock all in the lowest fee fund we have available.  Fidelity has her split into 6 or 8 funds, most with higher expense ratios than I'd feel comfortable with, but overall her 401k is at 13.3% for the year, and I don't think any of the funds have expense ratios + management fee totals of more than 1%. 

Personally I've done more research about my investments (TBH way too much, probably to the point of a minor obsession), but I'm so proud of her for taking full advantage of the match and worrying about it enough to have me make sure she's not stuck in a money market fund or something.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:21:14 AM by chaskavitch »

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #961 on: August 02, 2017, 07:37:39 AM »
Co-worker stated she is about finished paying off her school loans.

Co-worker: What am I going to do with all of this extra money each month?
Me (usually I don't talk about this stuff at work, but this just slipped out: Max out your 401k.
Co-worker: We already do that.
Me: That's great, how about your IRA?
Co-worker: We already do that too.  What is there after that?
Me: Taxable accounts.
Co-worker: Hmm, we should save it, and probably will, but we might take a vacation with the first few months of an extra $1,200 in our bank accounts.

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #962 on: August 02, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
Supervisor and I have spoken several times on the need to budget, plan and save for emergencies. She also thrift shops and brings her lunch every day.

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #963 on: August 08, 2017, 05:02:56 AM »
Had a conversation with a co-worker today.  He knows I pay attention to finances and retirement.  I and a fellow co-worker convinced him to max out our 401k sometime in the last 4 years and to invest it in a target date retirement fund (he wouldn't be comfortable being more aggressive).  He felt the family budget now left them more money and was wondering what to do next.  I asked about a Roth and a Spousal Roth.  He was going to look into opening those soon.  This is on top of him having a son with special needs that easily could justify "we can't afford to save."

I married a woman with a child who has special needs.   It became one of my missions in life to make damn sure we had something to save.  A substantial something to save.

There were a lot of things in life I would have preferred doing to working so damn hard to make that happen.

I guess it's about priorities.

Same here for our son with Down Syndrome, the need and drive to get something done for our child is a lot bigger than for ourself. Especially to cover his needs when we have passed on. Also, we are looking into a testament (will?) in the unlikely event of our passing simultaniously, which has restrictions on how his bequaethment can be spent and managed (to prevent .

[ontopic]
One of my colleagues is working to retire about 7 years ahead of time (he's in his early 50's now). He has his house payed off in the sense that he has a (fixed outcome) savings-insurance policy which covers the rest of the mortgage (and he still pays off some of it regularly). He has told me, multiple times, that his goal is to ease out of the job and train his successor over a number of years into the job while he takes more time to go out and have fun (he's a real nature/travel lover). Unfortunately the employer isn't too keen on shelling out for the talent needed to replace him and also requires years of experience in stead of the opportunity offered by said colleague...
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

talltexan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #964 on: August 09, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Those of you who are looking for a game plan for financially preparing to support special-needs adults when you're gone: check out this.

http://paulmerriman.com/turn-3000-50-million/

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #965 on: September 04, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »
I have another one for this thread!

A couple of coworkers who know I'm into investing recently asked for my advice on stocks and bonds. I was very happy to share what I knew, but at the same time, I did my best not to overload them with information. I can get really geeky about this topic. I decided to be judicious and just send them a couple of well-chosen links, tailored to their estimated risk tolerance and financial awareness levels, with the offer that I am always happy to discuss with them if they have any other follow up questions. I hope they take me up on it!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #966 on: September 08, 2017, 01:44:46 AM »
At work today one of our senior anaesthetic consultants came up to me and said "I saw you on my train today". "My" train, as in, he only travels to work that way. I know how much he makes from publicly available information, and it's a 6 figure sum that starts with a 4.

I was seriously impressed. Obviously I don't know what else he spends his money on, but he gets a free carpark with his job so it's not like he'd have any difficulty parking. Yet he chooses to catch public transport.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #967 on: September 08, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
New guy in my department, fresh out of college, interned with us for two-ish years before graduating. Has roommate and talks frequently about how some people spend insane amounts of money on frivolous things. Packs lunch, doesn't go out to eat often. Only non-mustachian thing is that he lives in a somewhat expensive part of town with a view of the river, but like I said, he has a roommate so his rent is still less than it would be if he were living on his own closer to work.

Smart kid. I've been trying to slowly teach him not to make some of the same horrible financial mistakes I made at that age.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #968 on: September 08, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
Not a coworker, but wasn't worth starting a brand new thread over and I couldn't think of a better place for it:

I called an old college friend last night to wish her a happy birthday, and we spent about an hour catching up since we live in different parts of the country now. As we're talking, she suddenly says, "Pencilthinstash, you're the only person I know who's going to properly appreciate this, but... I've really started getting into minimalism lately." Starts going off on how she's majorly downsized over the past couple months, only spends money on things that add value to her life now, all the wonderful things that I've been lazily advocating for the last few years. She finally gets it. Kickass.

"Even better, now that I'm not buying unnecessary crap all the time, I've been saving SO much money, and it's helping me build my debt snowball even faster. I've paid off my credit cards, my car, now I just have student loans left. Need to start looking into investing soon..." Cool, so she's got the Dave Ramsey lingo/mentality. Not bad for someone who's freshly turned 27.

Now this girl is a badass to begin with (she's a full-time nurse about to finish putting herself through grad school, holy shit), so between her starting to get her financial house in order, and simultaneously discovering minimalism... I see my shot.

"You know, I started with Dave Ramsey too, but what made my finances REALLY come together... there's this blog you should check out. The dude who writes it retired at 30." She immediately starts asking questions about how that's even possible, so I give a 30 second overview, mention my favorite analogy of how Dave Ramsey is Weight Watchers, compared to MMM as a crazy triathlete. She pulled up the blog while we're still talking, and the first words out of her mouth: "Financial freedom through badassity? WHAT?!?!?" I told her to start at the beginning of the archives and just work her way forward...

Y'all, we may have a new convert on our hands soon.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #969 on: September 08, 2017, 09:51:14 AM »

Y'all, we may have a new convert on our hands soon.

Invite her onto the forums with a proper handle so we can say hi!
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #970 on: September 12, 2017, 08:34:16 PM »
Found out that one my younger employees met with the 401k advisor today. She recently turned 21 and became eligible for our employer's plan, including its standard match and a frankly ridiculous company contribution. You go girl!