Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 489938 times)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2250 on: February 21, 2020, 10:28:51 AM »
A woman who is on the old-fashioned pill form of birth control (a pill a day keeps the pregnant away) can elect to bust out a new package of pills and continue with the hormone replacement instead of continuing with the usual cycle of placeholder pills.

The problem comes when your yearly Rx runs out after 9 months and your insurance company are assholes.

But I think the problem described is the men who believe that needing menstrual supplies is because of something akin to incontinence, and if we just tried harder we wouldn't need such things. See also, the guy who invented labia glue.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2251 on: February 21, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »
A woman who is on the old-fashioned pill form of birth control (a pill a day keeps the pregnant away) can elect to bust out a new package of pills and continue with the hormone replacement instead of continuing with the usual cycle of placeholder pills.

The problem comes when your yearly Rx runs out after 9 months and your insurance company are assholes.

But I think the problem described is the men who believe that needing menstrual supplies is because of something akin to incontinence, and if we just tried harder we wouldn't need such things. See also, the guy who invented labia glue.

Exactly.

Plus, frankly, it doesn't always work that well. I tried to do that, but was never able to get my period to stop completely. Instead of having a full-blown normal period once a month, I would have unpredictable spotting at odd times instead. Eventually, after the frustration of never knowing when that would happen and having to wear panty liners as a result, it just wasn't worth it, and I went back to having regular periods.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2252 on: February 21, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »

Exactly.

Plus, frankly, it doesn't always work that well. I tried to do that, but was never able to get my period to stop completely. Instead of having a full-blown normal period once a month, I would have unpredictable spotting at odd times instead. Eventually, after the frustration of never knowing when that would happen and having to wear panty liners as a result, it just wasn't worth it, and I went back to having regular periods.

I was lucky that it always worked well for me and when my insurance company gave me crap about it my doctor told me to just let them pay more for Seasonique instead.  Now I have the implant and unless I'm getting close to the three year mark, I rarely get any kind of breakthrough bleeding.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2253 on: February 21, 2020, 11:02:10 AM »

Exactly.

I was lucky that it always worked well for me and when my insurance company gave me crap about it my doctor told me to just let them pay more for Seasonique instead.  Now I have the implant and unless I'm getting close to the three year mark, I rarely get any kind of breakthrough bleeding.

So jealous. The last time I was on the pill, I bled and spotted for 6 weeks straight until I just gave up. There is no way I am trying an implant!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #2254 on: February 21, 2020, 11:38:46 AM »
Iíve got an implant now which seems to be great, except for the part where my face looks like a teenager again, and not in the youthful glow kind of way. Sigh.

Sanitary Engineer

• Bristles
« Reply #2255 on: February 21, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
I had my vas deferens cut and cauterized.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2256 on: February 21, 2020, 02:17:39 PM »
I chopped off my balls and died

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2257 on: February 21, 2020, 02:24:16 PM »
OMG this convo is going south.

@ysette9 I feel you.  I've got gray hair, progressive glasses, wrinkles AND pimples, wtF?

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2258 on: February 21, 2020, 02:29:10 PM »
I chopped off my balls and died

You seem to have recovered nicely!

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #2259 on: February 21, 2020, 03:23:55 PM »
See also, the guy who invented labia glue.

Wait, what?

After a quick Google it is what is says on the tin. Glue for the labia. To trap the blood internally until you go to the toilet, at which point your urine dissolves the "amino acid and oil based" preparation and everything fall into the toilet together. Seamless. Nothing could go wrong.

The first article I read was titled "A Chiropractor Says Labia Glue is Better Than Tampons".

Chiropractors: well known for their studies of menstruation.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2260 on: February 21, 2020, 04:09:36 PM »

Wait, what?

After a quick Google it is what is says on the tin. Glue for the labia. To trap the blood internally until you go to the toilet, at which point your urine dissolves the "amino acid and oil based" preparation and everything fall into the toilet together. Seamless. Nothing could go wrong.

The first article I read was titled "A Chiropractor Says Labia Glue is Better Than Tampons".

I was kinda wondering when someone would respond on that.

Did your article show the direct quote ďYes, I am a man and you as a woman should have come up with a better solution then diapers and plugs, but you didnít. Reason being women are focused on and distracted by your period 25% of the time, making them far less productive [than] they could be.Ē

https://www.self.com/story/mensez-labia-lipstick-glue-periods

The Snopes article is particularly enlightening: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mensez/

IsThisAGoodUsername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2261 on: February 21, 2020, 04:13:54 PM »
For anybody considering contraception, before you make any decisions on what's right for you, be sure to look at Annuale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=LuQIEy_x9w4

:D

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #2262 on: February 21, 2020, 11:40:46 PM »

Wait, what?

Did your article show the direct quote ďYes, I am a man and you as a woman should have come up with a better solution then diapers and plugs, but you didnít. Reason being women are focused on and distracted by your period 25% of the time, making them far less productive [than] they could be.Ē

The Snopes article is particularly enlightening: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mensez/

It didnít have that quote from what I recall but I didnít read too closely. It was just too bizarre.

Reading the snopes article leaves me thinking that itís satire. I refuse to believe that someone would say those things in seriousness.

I donít myself have the equipment for menstruation but I wouldnít expect it to be any more distracting on average than, say, feeling hungry. Yes itís there but itís not at the forefront of your mind. Clearly there will be exceptions to this do Iím happy to be corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2263 on: February 22, 2020, 12:11:59 AM »
If a woman tells me menstruation isnít distracting Iíd believe it.  But speaking simply about expectation, well Iíve had bad nosebleeds and used tampons to stop them.  Iím not saying my productivity was eliminated, but it was certainly uncomfortable and distracting.  Now itís ridiculous to say that women are made unproductive by periods but Iím also curious if itís really distraction free as well.  Maybe you just get used to it over time and for me it was always a rare event? (Yes I realize a nose is different from a vagina my question may seem silly but I havenít got any first hand experience)

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2264 on: February 22, 2020, 01:08:20 AM »
Think of it like urinating. You aren't distracted at your desk because you know you'll have to pee at some point, it's just a task you'll take care of. However some people are very distracted and in pain because they are busting to go or because they have kidney stones or a bladder infection.

A period can be 100% not a distraction. It can also be associated with really painful symptoms for some people.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2265 on: February 22, 2020, 01:26:37 AM »
If a woman tells me menstruation isnít distracting Iíd believe it.  But speaking simply about expectation, well Iíve had bad nosebleeds and used tampons to stop them.  Iím not saying my productivity was eliminated, but it was certainly uncomfortable and distracting.  Now itís ridiculous to say that women are made unproductive by periods but Iím also curious if itís really distraction free as well.  Maybe you just get used to it over time and for me it was always a rare event? (Yes I realize a nose is different from a vagina my question may seem silly but I havenít got any first hand experience)

I don't find periods themselves remotely distracting. You can't feel a tampon once it's inserted, so nothing to distract. I know men aren't quite aware of the intricacies of vaginas, and that's ok, but actually there aren't touch receptors up inside the vagina. At least not when you're not turned on and I have yet to be turned on by a tampon...... Noses are very sensitive by comparison! Sometimes I have a little period pain, which for me translates to back pain - depends which way your uterus points as to where the pain feels like it's coming from. I take a pill, just like you would. Sometimes I get tired after a period - I don't eat a lot of meat so I just eat a steak. And I sometimes get frickin annoyed by stupid shit, but that's about midcycle, not actually when the red is running. It's not the same for all women. I think I may be quite lucky. I really think that other things in the workplace are far more distracting on a daily basis, like temperature.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2266 on: February 22, 2020, 03:28:33 AM »

Exactly.

Insurance companies decide how many strips of the pill you get?? That's crazy. I just go to the pharmacy when I run out and as contraceptives are not covered by my health insurance if you're over 21, I pay Ä18 for 3 boxes of 3 strips.

Where I live most doctors actually recommend skipping periods when you're on the pill. There's no function, it's not a 'real' menstruation but a fake one. It's just feeling shitty for no medical reason at all. Most women don't get spotting from taking the pill continously, actually my doctor said I should call her if it happens more than once because it's a sign you may not be on the right pill. I'm sure some women will always have some spotting but it's not the norm.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2267 on: February 22, 2020, 06:39:13 AM »

Wait, what?

It didnít have that quote from what I recall but I didnít read too closely. It was just too bizarre.

Reading the snopes article leaves me thinking that itís satire. I refuse to believe that someone would say those things in seriousness.

I donít myself have the equipment for menstruation but I wouldnít expect it to be any more distracting on average than, say, feeling hungry. Yes itís there but itís not at the forefront of your mind. Clearly there will be exceptions to this do Iím happy to be corrected.

Oh, you live in England.    I live in the USA and we have elected legislators say things that stupid or worse on a frequent basis.   98% of them are from one political party.    (To be fair, the other main party also says stupid things but on different topics.)

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #2268 on: February 22, 2020, 07:01:06 AM »
Ah yes, the classic "women can shut it down" line being one of them.

Our politicians are far perfect I'm sure but I'd like to think they would be lambasted for the sorts of stuff I've read from US politicians.

That said, I don't really follow politics so I'm sure people could find examples of British politicians saying incredulous things and not being held to account.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2269 on: February 22, 2020, 10:18:11 AM »
I was not sure if I should look that up.
And I think no, I should not have.

It is technically interesting though that this seems to work. There is real craszy stuff modern glue can do and that is Top 2 I think.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2270 on: February 22, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »
I had my vas deferens cut and cauterized.
I am starting to talk up that idea. I know it will take time for that seed to sprout and blossom

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2271 on: February 22, 2020, 01:01:18 PM »
Well, that deteriorated quickly.

Sorry for setting off a foam explosion-- I seem to have triggered something. My goal was to point out that an admittedly eccentric co-worker's point of view did have a basis in fact.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2272 on: February 23, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »
It wasnít a deterioration, merely a meandering walk down a weedy path. :-)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2273 on: February 23, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »

Hmm  This would work for men, too.  (The glue).

Men that lose productivity because they need to take at least 20 minutes a day to use the rest room.   They could glue their anus shut and only "release" every three days, from the comfort of their homes and not while on the clock at work.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2274 on: February 23, 2020, 11:13:22 PM »

Men that lose productivity because they need to take at least 20 minutes a day to use the rest room.   They could glue their anus shut and only "release" every three days, from the comfort of their homes and not while on the clock at work.

The glue is deactivated by urine, through, so it might get a bit awkward

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2275 on: February 24, 2020, 05:55:26 AM »

The glue is deactivated by urine, through, so it might get a bit awkward

Would just require some creativity.

Sanitary Engineer

• Bristles
« Reply #2276 on: February 24, 2020, 06:28:18 AM »

Getting paid to poop is the #2 reason I don't quit.  Right after, needing money.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2277 on: February 24, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
I was not sure if I should look that up.
And I think no, I should not have.

It is technically interesting though that this seems to work. There is real craszy stuff modern glue can do and that is Top 2 I think.

Read the snopes article. It doesn't work b/c it is not really a thing yet. Just a patent and an idea. Not even a prototype and it has a male inventor who possibly has some gender issues...

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2278 on: February 24, 2020, 10:18:32 AM »

This isn't what the custodian was referring to.  He specifically said he knows girls can "hold it in" when they feel it "coming on".  Yikes! 

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2279 on: February 24, 2020, 10:58:30 AM »

This isn't what the custodian was referring to.  He specifically said he knows girls can "hold it in" when they feel it "coming on".  Yikes!

God, I wish I could "hold it in" even for a short time. It would make things so much easier, especially when one is stuck somewhere and has the highly unpleasant sense that their current menstrual product may not be up to the task. Alas, that's not how any of this works. Too bad this chump (the menstrual glue guy) doesn't appear willing to understand basic biology.

OliveFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2280 on: February 24, 2020, 11:05:54 AM »
This conversation is great.

Do want to take this moment to remind every menstruating person here ...

menstrual cups are the most frugal, eco-friendly, comfortable, and least distracting form of period product.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2281 on: February 24, 2020, 11:14:20 AM »

YES! Thank you so much for putting this in terms that men may understand!

Also, re the conversation about whether it's distracting or not, please be aware that every woman is different and their periods are different too.  I was raised to believe that if you don't make a big deal out of it, then it isn't a big deal.  So it never was.  But then I went to college and met other women and some of them were physically ill and vomiting from the pain they had. 

Yeah, if you have a light flow with no cramps, it's super easy to think others are hypochondriacs.  But one time I had cramps and it was super-distracting.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2282 on: February 24, 2020, 11:19:55 AM »

menstrual cups are the most frugal, eco-friendly, comfortable, and least distracting form of period product.

Are we sure about eco friendly? I use soooo much more water with a cup that I am not thoroughly convinced on that front.

OliveFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2283 on: February 24, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
compared to the production and trashing of the disposable products - I still think you come out ahead. I don't use much water with mine though. Quick rinse. Maybe a small wipe out if I'm in a less than ideal bathroom for the cup. I have bought two cups since 2011. The amount of tampons / pads I've avoided using is great!

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2284 on: February 24, 2020, 12:08:08 PM »

They're a great idea. Unfortunately my tipped uterus/wonky cervix has caused three different brands of cups of different sizes and materials to fail. I wish I could use them because they'd be a nice complement to washable pads.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2285 on: February 24, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »

Except for the accidental blood bath in the public rest room stall.  I found that very distracting.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2286 on: February 24, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »

Except for the accidental blood bath in the public rest room stall.  I found that very distracting.

The actual changing is a lot more distracting, but happens a little less often and I don't have to carry around as much stuff.

I assume you fumbled? I have done that, but luckily not in public.

Some say it is great for camping. I cannot begin to imagine how that works.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2287 on: February 24, 2020, 04:00:58 PM »

The actual changing is a lot more distracting, but happens a little less often and I don't have to carry around as much stuff.

I got a hysterectomy a couple of years before I heard about the menstrual cup. I low key wish I could have tried it (though I would not trade no more periods for anything! Woo hoo!)...

But I will say, the idea of just trusting that cup for the first few times strikes terror into my heart. Talk about distracting!

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2288 on: February 24, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »
I was able to get one for free (promotion) got supposedly the right size. But it would leak. I don't know what I wasn't doing right, but it was more difficult than I thought. To get it right. Maybe it worked right 70% of the time, but having accidents sucks. Since I had to wear a pad anyways, stopped using it. Since I'm on the pill my periods are relatively minimal at this point.

mlipps

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2289 on: February 25, 2020, 09:17:38 AM »

It's not that bad. I took mine on a two week trip to Tanzania so plunged deep into the camping/poor sanitation/limited water life with it after a few months of use. I took my water bottle into the stall, plus wet paper towels if they were available, or wet wipes if they weren't. Sanitize hands, remove, dump, rinse with water bottle, dry with TP, reinsert, wipe hands with paper towel/wet wipe. I can wear my cup all day except for on the very heaviest day of my cycle versus changing tampons every 4-6 hours, so I think it's worth the minor hassle.

As for water usage making it less sustainable...I guess it depends where you live. Here in the Midwest where composting & recycling sucks and water is abundant, I think it's clearly the better choice. Maybe if there are compostable tampons (I've never researched this) that makes more sense in a water constrained area. But it's definitely the most frugal option, I haven't spend a dime after my $24 purchase a year ago now--would have gone through 3-4 boxes each of tampons & liners by now.

ETA: I guess backpacking would be different but I imagine you'd just dig a hole to empty into. Still seems better than packing out used disposable supplies to me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:19:11 AM by mlipps »

Siebrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2290 on: February 26, 2020, 01:50:10 AM »

'Frugal'... not for me. I've actually done the math (very MMM, right?).
[Number of periods until expected menopause (based on mother's age of menopause)] x [number of tampons at Äx + number of pads at Äx per period] = Äx.
[Number of menstrual cups needed until expected menopause (because they have a 10-year lifespan, apparently)] = Äx.
The traditional method of pads and tampons was way more frugal for me.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2291 on: February 26, 2020, 01:55:23 AM »

[Number of periods until expected menopause (based on mother's age of menopause)] x [number of tampons at Äx + number of pads at Äx per period] = Äx.
[Number of menstrual cups needed until expected menopause (because they have a 10-year lifespan, apparently)] = Äx.
The number of pads and tampons increase dramatically in the last few years, however! 

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2292 on: February 26, 2020, 07:36:14 AM »

Mine paid for itself in months....I know mine is heavy, but this is mind blowing.

joleran

• Stubble
« Reply #2293 on: February 26, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »
The number of pads and tampons increase dramatically in the last few years, however!

Out of curiosity, could you potentially do the perma-birth control method there where periods are skipped entirely, or would that cause issues at that point?

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2294 on: February 26, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »

Out of curiosity, could you potentially do the perma-birth control method there where periods are skipped entirely, or would that cause issues at that point?

I know that my doctor offered me an tubal/ablation last time that, in theory, would stop my periods permanently.  I currently respond well to the implant, but if that ever changes I'll consider the surgical option.

wellactually

• Stubble
« Reply #2295 on: February 26, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
Tubal ligation won't stop you from getting a period, it would just stop eggs from getting through your tubes to your uterus. You'd need to remove either the ovaries and/or the uterus to permanently end periods prior to menopause.

Many people see periods disappear with IUD and other long term birth control methods, but the effect varies wildly and is unpredictable.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2296 on: February 26, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »
Tubal ligation won't stop you from getting a period, it would just stop eggs from getting through your tubes to your uterus. You'd need to remove either the ovaries and/or the uterus to permanently end periods prior to menopause.

Many people see periods disappear with IUD and other long term birth control methods, but the effect varies wildly and is unpredictable.

Ablation does stop menstruation in most. It is paired with tubal ligation in order to prevent a dangerous pregnancy.

wellactually

• Stubble
« Reply #2297 on: February 26, 2020, 01:27:41 PM »
Gotcha. I read that as either a tubal ligation OR an ablation.

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2298 on: February 26, 2020, 03:01:53 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

My co-worker has been complaining about his financial state lately.  I told him he spends too much on his car.  He said he spends $800 a month to keep this fancy Civic on the road.  I think he pays a similar amount in rent.

I drive the shittiest car out of everybody so people can see where my savings come from.  There are several people who earn a lot less than me that drive fancier cars so I hope they aren't too surprised if they feel more broke than me.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2299 on: February 26, 2020, 03:07:40 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

My co-worker has been complaining about his financial state lately.  I told him he spends too much on his car.  He said he spends $800 a month to keep this fancy Civic on the road.  I think he pays a similar amount in rent.

I drive the shittiest car out of everybody so people can see where my savings come from.  There are several people who earn a lot less than me that drive fancier cars so I hope they aren't too surprised if they feel more broke than me.

OMG thank you SOOOO much for changing the subject!