Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 330299 times)

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1850 on: November 26, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »
I heard one. Different department, same organization as I work for.

That department is hiring a new employee. They are flying in three candidates on different dates for the final round of interviews.

The candidate pays for their own flight and then they are reimbursed. Yes, it could be done differently but I suspect there is a reason and this might be it.

Candidate B asks if the org can front the flight money. They can't afford to.
Org: Nope b/c rules.
Candidate B suggests that they will use their current employer's credit card and then Org can reimburse the current employer for the flight! Org isn't keen on this either.

I wonder if candidate B's current employer is event aware that candidate B is job searching. Wouldn't that be a way to learn!

Apparently the flight isn't a long one and thus less expensive that others, candidate can't borrow any money from friends or family, can't put it on a credit card, nor can they drive to the interview. The drive would be several hours but perfectly doable if they had a vehicle in reasonable condition.

Because they can't overcome this hurdle, they will probably eliminate themselves from the interview schedule.

This happens often in the medical field when trying to interview new residents and such that have maxed out credit cards and massive student loans.

However, I'm guessing this isn't the case....

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1851 on: November 26, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »
I work for the federal government and we have travel cards that show up on our credit reports and they must be used for all flights and hotels. The limit on the card is set by your credit score and I know of at least one coworker who got approved for a travel card, but the limit was something like $100 so he couldnít actually use it. Our reimbursement goes directly onto the card and I had an issue last year where I promptly submitted my voucher for reimbursement, but my supervisor never went into the system and approved it, so the bill on the card didnít get paid. I had never even received a bill before because I was so used to it being paid before a bill came out. The bill went to an old address, was forwarded to my new address, and showed up after the due date! I was nervous that it would impact my credit score but luckily it never showed up as late on my credit report.

[/b]Another coworker got in trouble because we are only allowed to use the cards for work sponsored travel, but he wanted to buy new golf clubs without his wife knowing so he used the travel card and then planned to pay the bill himself once it came. The finance department caught him and he got into trouble and almost lost his travel card over it.

We've had two different people get busted for that.  One lost his job and the other just barely saved hers, but got 30 days off without pay.  In each case, they claimed that they grabbed the wrong card out of their wallet.  I keep mine locked up away from all my other cards because my husband's bad about grabbing a card out of my wallet and using it without checking to see which one we're supposed to be using for points this month.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:42:46 AM by Sugaree »

RobertFromTX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1852 on: November 26, 2019, 06:30:03 PM »
Annual enrollment for benefits is here, so we had to listen to the conference call with the benefits person.

"The HSA account is money you keep! It rolls over every year, and you can earn interest in the account. Now you'll never get rich off the little bit of interest, but every bit helps!"

I'm rolling my eyes because anything over $1,000 you can invest in mutual funds (including VTSAX). The person completely missed one of the best selling points of the HSA account.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1853 on: November 26, 2019, 07:35:34 PM »

Another coworker got in trouble because we are only allowed to use the cards for work sponsored travel, but he wanted to buy new golf clubs without his wife knowing so he used the travel card and then planned to pay the bill himself once it came. The finance department caught him and he got into trouble and almost lost his travel card over it.

So if you get the travel card revoked, are you "forced" to use a personal card when you travel for work?

;)

economista

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1854 on: November 26, 2019, 08:32:34 PM »

Another coworker got in trouble because we are only allowed to use the cards for work sponsored travel, but he wanted to buy new golf clubs without his wife knowing so he used the travel card and then planned to pay the bill himself once it came. The finance department caught him and he got into trouble and almost lost his travel card over it.

So if you get the travel card revoked, are you "forced" to use a personal card when you travel for work?

;)

Good thought but no, you just aren't able to travel. If travel is pertinent to your job I guess you would be seen as not fulfilling your duties and you would have a whole different set of problems.

For example, my card expired and I didn't know it until I tried to book my travel. We were worried the new card wouldn't come in time and I wanted to use my personal card but I wasn't allowed. If the card didn't come in time I just wouldn't have gone/it would've been postponed until my new card got there.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1855 on: November 27, 2019, 03:46:36 AM »
Annual enrollment for benefits is here, so we had to listen to the conference call with the benefits person.

"The HSA account is money you keep! It rolls over every year, and you can earn interest in the account. Now you'll never get rich off the little bit of interest, but every bit helps!"

I'm rolling my eyes because anything over $1,000 you can invest in mutual funds (including VTSAX). The person completely missed one of the best selling points of the HSA account.

Nitpick: depends on the terms of the account. We have to hold $2000 in cash in our HSA (although maybe that's because it covers two people).

But yes, it is ridiculous that the benefits person wouldn't talk that up as much as possible. Husband's didn't either, and we'd had a bad experience with a FSA so at first we only had the minimum deducted for his HSA. As soon as I did some digging and we understood the difference, we maxed out the HSA and started investing.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #1856 on: November 30, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »
Our HSA charges a monthly fee if you don't hold $3000 cash. It grates my teeth to look at it just sitting there, and ticks me off to pay a fee on my dollars. For the $2.50 boon they syphon off my account, they get one irritated customer.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1857 on: November 30, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
Our HSA charges a monthly fee if you don't hold $3000 cash. It grates my teeth to look at it just sitting there, and ticks me off to pay a fee on my dollars. For the $2.50 boon they syphon off my account, they get one irritated customer.

If the fee is $2.50 regardless of how far below $3,000 the cash balance is, you might still be better off to invest all of the money. On average, you should be able to earn ~$20/month on that $3k.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #1858 on: November 30, 2019, 02:35:17 PM »
Yesterday (the last Friday of the month) CW asks if I can follow up on their reimbursement - won't be able to pay bills due on the 1st without it. I followed up as asked, but couldn't help looking at them wide eyed. If you haven't received the money by noon on Friday, it's not going to be deposited until Monday at least. I was almost tempted to offer a personal loan. There have been many clues lately that they are struggling.
Such as when we all decided to give a few dollars towards a gift, and they couldn't do it for weeks until a tiny receipt was reimbursed.
They also told me how much their car insurance plus payment is monthly (due to tickets, high end SUV, and someone borrowing it and getting another ticket that can't be traced back to the correct person) - it's more than I pay in a year!
The temptation to loan money was brief - they are not responsible enough to pay it back. Near daily lattes and an income that is double mine are both no help.
On the other hand, I had 5 reimbursements that I let pile up for 2 months so I could submit them all at once using only 1 stamp. I was out of pocket $1000s, but have the flexibility to almost forget about it.

MoneyQuirk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Aspiring writer at www.moneyquirk.com
    • Money Quirk
« Reply #1859 on: December 01, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »
A coworker told him how interested he is in FIRE.

Like, he wouldn't stop talking about it.

After listening for a while, I asked him what he was doing about it. "Ahhh, that's the problem. I can't get the wife on board."

I nodded. That's pretty challenging, particularly when you're already married and have kids.

Not getting much of a comment from me, he went back to his screen-shopping on Amazon, periodically asking me what I thought of an item that I had no idea why he would need.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1860 on: December 02, 2019, 06:53:45 AM »
Biggest topic of discussion at work today ó the nearest Starbucks has closed down and now people will have to walk an extra three minutes to the next nearest Starbucks thatís one block down the street. Apparently that news ruined a lot of peopleís day.

The consolation is that at least Starbucks delivers so you can just order it online and pay the extra delivery fee.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1861 on: December 02, 2019, 07:03:52 AM »
Biggest topic of discussion at work today ó the nearest Starbucks has closed down and now people will have to walk an extra three minutes to the next nearest Starbucks thatís one block down the street. Apparently that news ruined a lot of peopleís day.

The consolation is that at least Starbucks delivers so you can just order it online and pay the extra delivery fee.

It's practically a third-world country if you have to walk an extra block for Starbucks!

Channel-Z

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1862 on: December 02, 2019, 07:08:15 AM »

I think Lewis Black had a comedy routine about Starbucks being across the street from another Starbucks.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1863 on: December 02, 2019, 08:38:00 AM »
I think Lewis Black had a comedy routine about Starbucks being across the street from another Starbucks.

Yes. West Gray Street @ Shepherd Drive in Houston.
If that's not enough Starbucks for you, there's an in-store cafe at the Barnes and Noble that also sells Starbucks stuff.

J.R. Ewing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1864 on: December 02, 2019, 09:25:19 AM »

If that's not enough Starbucks for you, there's an in-store cafe at the Barnes and Noble that also sells Starbucks stuff.

I saw the Lewis Black quote and started typing the exact same thing before I saw your post.  I used to live a mile north of there. 

Dogastrophe

• Stubble
« Reply #1865 on: December 02, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »
Around the corner from my place is a free standing Tim Hortons which is next door (and in the same parking lot) to a satellite Tim Hortons in the gas station.  They each have a drive thru.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #1866 on: December 02, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »
I stopped by Starbucks in the middle of my run yesterday morning because I was out of coffee beans. I normally buy Peetís but I figured Iíd i went in I couid get them do the correct grind for my French press.

Anyway, I go to the counter and tell the lady I want to buy a pound of beans and she looks at me blankly. I had to specify coffee beans, and then she had to turn to a colleague to ask how/do they do that. Sheesh.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1867 on: December 02, 2019, 11:17:16 AM »
I stopped by Starbucks in the middle of my run yesterday morning because I was out of coffee beans. I normally buy Peetís but I figured Iíd i went in I couid get them do the correct grind for my French press.

Anyway, I go to the counter and tell the lady I want to buy a pound of beans and she looks at me blankly. I had to specify coffee beans, and then she had to turn to a colleague to ask how/do they do that. Sheesh.

Are you sure you don't just want a Trenta tall blonde caramel cloud macchiato instead, with a chonga bagel on the side?

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1868 on: December 02, 2019, 12:19:53 PM »

It's practically a third-world country if you have to walk an extra block for Starbucks!

Haven't these people heard of rollerskates and kick scooters?

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1869 on: December 02, 2019, 03:24:29 PM »

These people would hate Australia then :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1870 on: December 02, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »

They do this because sometimes a location needs to expand due to overwhelming demand, but itís easier,  more flexible, and more aesthetic to simply open a second small location nearby.  Easy because the adjacent property is often not available for expansions, they donít need to close the first shop for renovations, they donít have to break the lease to move to a larger location.  More flexible since they can close the second location if demand sags again without interrupting business at the first location.  Aesthetic because they want to maintain a cozy small shop aesthetic despite being a giant corporation.  It all kinda makes sense once you think about it

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1871 on: December 02, 2019, 10:14:41 PM »
One of my coworkers to another: "The problem with going to Costco this time of year is that I came home with a new 50 inch TV...  Well, we'd been talking about getting a new one for our bedroom."

The same coworker recently returned from a cross-country trip to visit his daughter where she attends a public university.  He's probably 10 years older than me and at the same pay grade.  I guess he'll be working at least a few more years.

dcheesi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1872 on: December 03, 2019, 05:34:05 AM »

That's because nobody really likes Starbucks' nasty burnt-tasting coffee beans! Which is why they drown it in sweetened flavorings and whipped cream...

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1873 on: December 03, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »

I'm surprised they actually do. I thought it was a cafe, not a grocery store.  (That may sound strange, but in countries with a reduced sales tax for e.g. eating stuff the beans may have a different tax rate than the (service!) coffee you drink there. Without special rules that also means that a food truck pays different taxes depending if you eat the food at their tables or take it with you. Tax code is fun, isn't it?)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #1874 on: December 03, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »
Turns out the beans arenít nearly as good as I was hoping. Yes, kind of a burnt flavor. I got a bag of Peetís yesterday.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1875 on: December 03, 2019, 10:09:34 AM »
Turns out the beans arenít nearly as good as I was hoping. Yes, kind of a burnt flavor. I got a bag of Peetís yesterday.

Yes it's well known they overcook their beans.
Check out Intelligenstia black cat coffee

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1876 on: December 03, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »

These people would hate Australia then :)

Imagine them visiting Italy!

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1877 on: December 03, 2019, 06:00:09 PM »
A friend of a co-worker spent $1100 on a fancy kitten.  It died at two years of age due to genetic defects.

(Somewhere between 30 and 70% of cats that enter shelters are euthanized. )

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1878 on: December 03, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »
One of my coworkers to another: "The problem with going to Costco this time of year is that I came home with a new 50 inch TV...  Well, we'd been talking about getting a new one for our bedroom."

The same coworker recently returned from a cross-country trip to visit his daughter where she attends a public university.  He's probably 10 years older than me and at the same pay grade.  I guess he'll be working at least a few more years.

Funny, I shop at Costco roughly once a month and have never had that problem.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1879 on: December 03, 2019, 09:00:20 PM »
A friend of a co-worker spent $1100 on a fancy kitten.  It died at two years of age due to genetic defects.

How sad. We lost a rescue kitty at 2.5 years of age from a genetic heart defect. That was about 5 months after we spent $1000 with no regrets on cancer treatment for a pet rabbit (who is still very much alive and recovered). Sometimes pet spending isnít rational. Hopefully the friend didnít go into debt.

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1880 on: December 03, 2019, 09:34:44 PM »

How sad. We lost a rescue kitty at 2.5 years of age from a genetic heart defect. That was about 5 months after we spent $1000 with no regrets on cancer treatment for a pet rabbit (who is still very much alive and recovered). Sometimes pet spending isnít rational. Hopefully the friend didnít go into debt.

Sorry about your cat and I'm happy for you and your rabbit!  I wouldn't be surprised if they were in debt.  I'm surrounded by people that are pretty careless with their money(I work at a dealership).  They also have families though, so I don't entirely blame them for being in debt.  Some have had illnesses and job transitions.  The shiny cars and fancy kittens make me less sympathetic though. 

I've received a small amount of envy for my financial position, but I don't brag about it, they just see occasional trips to Asia and get jealous.  But they don't focus on my shitty old car or my homemade lunches or my cheap ass clothes.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1882 on: December 03, 2019, 10:35:48 PM »

And here I was thinking $1100 isn't that much for a fancy kitchen.  Reading comprehension fail

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1883 on: December 03, 2019, 10:56:48 PM »

And here I was thinking $1100 isn't that much for a fancy kitchen.  Reading comprehension fail

I didn't even know it was a thing.  It was some type of purebred something or other.

It's just a cat people.   How much variation can they have?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1884 on: December 04, 2019, 02:18:12 AM »

I didn't even know it was a thing.  It was some type of purebred something or other.

It's just a cat people.   How much variation can they have?

Major cat person here. I don't understand the designer animal thing either. The point of having a cat is having a little furry buddy. They need me and I need them. The ones that need me most are the shelter cats.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1885 on: December 04, 2019, 08:29:41 AM »
My co-worker's daughter is 21 years old, and appears to have a good work ethic in supporting herself through school by working in bakeries in the south part of the city. I estimate she's in the $14-$18/hour neighborhood.

And, she bought a $4,000 dog.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1886 on: December 04, 2019, 08:42:37 AM »
I guess I need to go hide my $600 dog before everyone shows up with torches and pitchforks.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1887 on: December 04, 2019, 09:18:03 AM »
I guess I need to go hide my $600 dog before everyone shows up with torches and pitchforks.

No one is going to literally murder you for paying for a dog.

But that doesn't mean people can't have opinions about it.

SheWhoWalksAtLunch

• Bristles
« Reply #1888 on: December 04, 2019, 09:28:53 AM »
Adopting from an animal shelter can cost as much as $600 in some places.

Ask me how I know..

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1889 on: December 04, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »

Do I need to follow up my posts with a bazinga or something to indicate that I'm not serious?

SheWhoWalksAtLunch

• Bristles
« Reply #1890 on: December 04, 2019, 09:58:42 AM »

Do I need to follow up my posts with a bazinga or something to indicate that I'm not serious?

If you're regularly being misunderstood by multiple readers, then possibly yes.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1891 on: December 04, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »

As far as I know, it's just been one reader. But I'll start doing that to avoid the vengeful ire.

Edit: added a disclaimer to signature
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:41:34 AM by DadJokes »

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1892 on: December 04, 2019, 10:25:42 AM »

Perhaps I will steal the dog and sell it for $400, gently used.

Edit: I think rescues have nicer souls anyway.

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1893 on: December 04, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
My co-worker's daughter is 21 years old, and appears to have a good work ethic in supporting herself through school by working in bakeries in the south part of the city. I estimate she's in the $14-$18/hour neighborhood.

And, she bought a $4,000 dog.

That averages to 250 hours-per-dog before tax.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1894 on: December 04, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »
There are some people who are into a particular breed, and even do dog shows, trials, hunt with them, etc. So for them it's their hobby and passion and they are using or keeping the dog for what it was bred for. There are also some people who are allergic to dogs or need a non-shedding dog, hence the poodles, labradoodles and goldendoodles. I understand that.

I don't understand the whole, I think labs are cool so I'm going to buy a $400 Labrador even though I don't do bird hunting!  There are so many lab mixes, etc in the shelters.Even more so for breeds like bulldogs and king cavalier spaniels, teacup styes that are so inbred you are also purchasing a lot of medical costs and heartache along with the dog. So many dogs that are rescues or look pretty close to that breed, but without all the health issues, you can find at a shelter.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:49:51 AM by partgypsy »

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #1895 on: December 04, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
What specific breed of dog costs $4k? I'm just curious.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1896 on: December 04, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »

As far as I know, it's just been one reader. But I'll start doing that to avoid the vengeful ire.

Edit: added a disclaimer to signature

LOL @ "vengeful ire"

And double-LOL at the passive-aggressive signature line.

Davnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1897 on: December 04, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »

True, that's a good general rule.

But in this particular case I think "shows up with torches and pitchforks" is a common figure of speech. If someone needs to explain that a figure of speech isn't literal, it kind of defeats the purpose of their colorful language.

Personally I'd say figures of speech don't need preemptive explanation, but if someone is confused by it then a polite response to clarify is fine. No reason for either party to take offense due to a misunderstanding.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1898 on: December 04, 2019, 01:24:44 PM »

Any breed, if you get it purebred from the "right" breeders can cost that much.

I don't know how much my brother spent on his purebred pointer, but it was definitely an unmustachian amount for "a dog". But he was specifically looking for a male and specifically looking at the lines, to the point that he had hunted with 5/6 of his dogs parents and grandparents before he made his decision. It is his hobby, so it definitely makes sense to me.

There are also certain situations where I can see that it would make sense to get a well-bred puppy from a breeder rather than rescuing. I/my parents when I was a kid have now rescued 4 dogs, and we got 1 from a breeder as well. 3 of the 4 rescues would be EXCELLENT with small children. 1 of them would not be, but you wouldn't have known it based on when you met him and based on the rescue organizations knowledge of him.
You are getting a mystery with a rescue dog. Certain breeds will do better than others, but you can eliminate a lot (but not all) of the risk if you do your research and get a bred puppy. Of course, from what I've seen most do not do the research and most litters are not actually well bred, but I am certainly not eliminating getting a puppy from a breeder for my kids if the situation is right for it. Rescuing will be the preferred method, but it isn't the right way for every situation.

Similarly, my brother (the same who spent a lot on his dog) also fosters Pointers. I think they've had about 17 of them at this point. He'd tell you some stories, but the gist of it is that quite simply, rescuing and fostering isn't always as easy as the internet makes it out to be and sometimes getting a well bred puppy is the better option. This is especially true for certain breeds, like pointers, where they're neurotic and high strung as a baseline. This is of course made worse by bad breeding and inbreeding, but he's written certain breeds off entirely due to that.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1899 on: December 04, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »

Any breed, if you get it purebred from the "right" breeders can cost that much.

I don't know how much my brother spent on his purebred pointer, but it was definitely an unmustachian amount for "a dog". But he was specifically looking for a male and specifically looking at the lines, to the point that he had hunted with 5/6 of his dogs parents and grandparents before he made his decision. It is his hobby, so it definitely makes sense to me.

There are also certain situations where I can see that it would make sense to get a well-bred puppy from a breeder rather than rescuing. I/my parents when I was a kid have now rescued 4 dogs, and we got 1 from a breeder as well. 3 of the 4 rescues would be EXCELLENT with small children. 1 of them would not be, but you wouldn't have known it based on when you met him and based on the rescue organizations knowledge of him.
You are getting a mystery with a rescue dog. Certain breeds will do better than others, but you can eliminate a lot (but not all) of the risk if you do your research and get a bred puppy. Of course, from what I've seen most do not do the research and most litters are not actually well bred, but I am certainly not eliminating getting a puppy from a breeder for my kids if the situation is right for it. Rescuing will be the preferred method, but it isn't the right way for every situation.

Similarly, my brother (the same who spent a lot on his dog) also fosters Pointers. I think they've had about 17 of them at this point. He'd tell you some stories, but the gist of it is that quite simply, rescuing and fostering isn't always as easy as the internet makes it out to be and sometimes getting a well bred puppy is the better option. This is especially true for certain breeds, like pointers, where they're neurotic and high strung as a baseline. This is of course made worse by bad breeding and inbreeding, but he's written certain breeds off entirely due to that.
A few of my friends have recently paid for bred puppies.  I didn't really ask all of them WHY they wanted a purebed "whatever".  In one case, it was looking for a hypoallergenic dog.  The others?  Dunno.  A few friends have driven thousands of miles or flown to pick up a puppy.  A few more have been breeding dogs like pugs or dalmations.

We adopted a shelter dog just last week.  Not free!  She was $75, plus we bought a few things there.  We will also need to get her vaccinated and checked out by a vet soon.