Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 332169 times)

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1550 on: September 18, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »
I agree with that theory about online gushy couples breaking up.  I know at least 3 now divorced couples who used to gush all the time on FB about how great the other spouse was and post photos of their spouse and saying how gorgeous they were.  Couple of months later - divorce.

Sometimes I am a cynic.

In such a mode I suspect that behavior is a try to "sell" their partner to someone else so that they have a "he was cheating" reason.
In my experience it more has to do with those couples being more volatile and often more immature in general. Oooh I love him he is the one for me! to "I can't believe he left the toliet seat/forgot our anniversary!" to "I love him so much" etc. I find those people exhausting. 

economista

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1551 on: September 19, 2019, 07:36:15 AM »
Just remembered a story from the go-go days of 2007.  A new hire engineer, we'll call her "Wendy", had been with our team since January.  It was August and she was going to take her first week vacation since starting work as a paid adult.  The conversation went a little something like this:

Wendy: "I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday.  Eight days in Paris and Brussels."
Me: "That's fantastic.  I'm a lover of travel too, and ..."
Wendy: "And now that I have a job, I don't have to slum it in economy any more."
Me: "Well just because you're working doesn't..."
Wendy: "We're booked in XYZ hotel too.  Look at the pictures online."
Me: "Wow, that's like a block from the Louvre.  Are those antiques in the room?  Is this a honeymoon or graduation present?"  (Don't remember the exact hotel, but it was like $450 / night.)
Wendy: "No just vacation.  I want to go to London and Oxford in the fall too."
My back of the envelope calculation told me this gal and her friend were taking $4500/person vacations (not including dining, activities, or shopping) right out of college multiple times a year.  With those things it was probably closer to $7000.  I was floored. 

This reminds me of a story that is currently happening, but not with a work colleague. One of my husband’s friends is in his 50s and no where near ready to retire. I have gotten blurbs about his financial situation before and the way he uses credit cards. Anyway - he is currently on a trip to London. He was bragging that since this is his trip of a lifetime across the sea, he bought a roundtrip 1st class ticket for $5000. Not business class, not extra legroom class, full-on first class with the lay down seats. DH and I were commenting that we think we could do the whole trip for the 2 of us (definitely for one of us) for the $5000 he spent on the plane ticket alone. While he is there is doing everything top of the line and posting daily pictures on facebook and it’s just insane. He said he took out another credit card for this trip and he chose the Apple Card! And I personally know another one of his cards with associated with Bank of America and no real rewards. I wish he would’ve mentioned a new card sooner so we could point him in the direction of a travel rewards card that gives him actual bonuses and good cash back instead of this flashy new “apple” credit card. Oh well. At this point (I’m 30) I think I will be retired before he is. We are already in the partially retired situation since we can afford for DH to be a stay at home dad.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1552 on: September 19, 2019, 08:32:01 AM »
I agree with that theory about online gushy couples breaking up.  I know at least 3 now divorced couples who used to gush all the time on FB about how great the other spouse was and post photos of their spouse and saying how gorgeous they were.  Couple of months later - divorce.

Sometimes I am a cynic.

In such a mode I suspect that behavior is a try to "sell" their partner to someone else so that they have a "he was cheating" reason.
In my experience it more has to do with those couples being more volatile and often more immature in general. Oooh I love him he is the one for me! to "I can't believe he left the toliet seat/forgot our anniversary!" to "I love him so much" etc. I find those people exhausting.

My husband TOTALLY forgot our anniversary this year. To be fair, I remembered the morning of, so I just made a relatively nice dinner and figured we'd call it even, but then he walked in and was like 'wow, this is nice, what's the occasion', and like... the door was open, I just COULDN'T, so I said 'well, DEAR, it IS our anniversary' and I have never seen a face that was the picture-perfect definition of 'oh shit' before. Hilarious. (There was a lot of laughing at that face, because maaaan...)

Neither of us are big on date-related romantic gestures, though - I mean, I expect (and recieve, and give) love and affection on a daily basis, and also general recognition and appreciation, and joint work and problem-solving and all the stuff that makes this work. My expectations are way higher than 'remembers the anniversary' or 'bought flowers', and they're also less sharable-on-social-media, status-symbol-oriented.

(Swear to god, the most romantic thing he's ever said to me was at 2am, the night all the kids got stomach flu and spewed in arcs over the room, so we'd showered them and tucked them into our bed so we could deal with the biohazard that was their room, and he looked at me, exhausted and grossed out and almost keeling over, and was like 'well, there's no one else I'd want here with me. Thanks for being here'. And that, for me, is a good relationship - if you can find a way to demonstrate affection and appreciation through THAT, we can build something really solid, whereas 'remembering an anniversary' is a google calendar reminder that means eff all to me in the long run.)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #1553 on: September 19, 2019, 08:59:38 AM »

(Swear to god, the most romantic thing he's ever said to me was at 2am, the night all the kids got stomach flu and spewed in arcs over the room, so we'd showered them and tucked them into our bed so we could deal with the biohazard that was their room, and he looked at me, exhausted and grossed out and almost keeling over, and was like 'well, there's no one else I'd want here with me. Thanks for being here'. And that, for me, is a good relationship - if you can find a way to demonstrate affection and appreciation through THAT, we can build something really solid, whereas 'remembering an anniversary' is a google calendar reminder that means eff all to me in the long run.)
That is beautiful.

More so maybe because we are ankle-deep in similar trenches right now. Thank goodness for wonderful partners.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1554 on: September 19, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »

You might like what I think is the most romatic thing I ever read (well, I am a bibliophile):
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/437516-you-should-date-a-girl-who-reads-date-a-girl

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1555 on: September 21, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »

(Swear to god, the most romantic thing he's ever said to me was at 2am, the night all the kids got stomach flu and spewed in arcs over the room, so we'd showered them and tucked them into our bed so we could deal with the biohazard that was their room, and he looked at me, exhausted and grossed out and almost keeling over, and was like 'well, there's no one else I'd want here with me. Thanks for being here'. And that, for me, is a good relationship - if you can find a way to demonstrate affection and appreciation through THAT, we can build something really solid,

I think I would find romance in just the word "WE" in the above statement.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1556 on: September 22, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
Yeah, but at least in my marriage the not celebrating anniversaries, v day, etc was in addition to not having the regular acts of affection and regard, spending time together either (the last 7 years or so). So those other signifiers became that much more important to me. In retrospect it was silly, as I was focusing on the wrong thing. And getting roses, a nice gift doesn't really mean anything if it has no meaning or heart behind it for the person giving it. Hard lesson to learn.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:44:18 PM by partgypsy »

SheWhoWalksAtLunch

• Bristles
« Reply #1557 on: September 23, 2019, 10:47:45 AM »

I met the DH when we were both working Ambulance.  He asked me out after 9 months of seeing me at 2am covered with other people's blood/bodily fluids.  Love that can overlook physical appearance and that leans on mutual support and respect is THE BEST. (That said, the DH and I both clean up pretty good)

Gremlin

• Stubble
« Reply #1558 on: September 23, 2019, 06:48:08 PM »
Just remembered a story from the go-go days of 2007.  A new hire engineer, we'll call her "Wendy", had been with our team since January.  It was August and she was going to take her first week vacation since starting work as a paid adult.  The conversation went a little something like this:

Wendy: "I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday.  Eight days in Paris and Brussels."
Me: "That's fantastic.  I'm a lover of travel too, and ..."
Wendy: "And now that I have a job, I don't have to slum it in economy any more."
Me: "Well just because you're working doesn't..."
Wendy: "We're booked in XYZ hotel too.  Look at the pictures online."
Me: "Wow, that's like a block from the Louvre.  Are those antiques in the room?  Is this a honeymoon or graduation present?"  (Don't remember the exact hotel, but it was like $450 / night.)
Wendy: "No just vacation.  I want to go to London and Oxford in the fall too."
My back of the envelope calculation told me this gal and her friend were taking $4500/person vacations (not including dining, activities, or shopping) right out of college multiple times a year.  With those things it was probably closer to $7000.  I was floored. 

This reminds me of a story that is currently happening, but not with a work colleague. One of my husband’s friends is in his 50s and no where near ready to retire. I have gotten blurbs about his financial situation before and the way he uses credit cards. Anyway - he is currently on a trip to London. He was bragging that since this is his trip of a lifetime across the sea, he bought a roundtrip 1st class ticket for $5000. Not business class, not extra legroom class, full-on first class with the lay down seats. DH and I were commenting that we think we could do the whole trip for the 2 of us (definitely for one of us) for the $5000 he spent on the plane ticket alone. While he is there is doing everything top of the line and posting daily pictures on facebook and it’s just insane. He said he took out another credit card for this trip and he chose the Apple Card! And I personally know another one of his cards with associated with Bank of America and no real rewards. I wish he would’ve mentioned a new card sooner so we could point him in the direction of a travel rewards card that gives him actual bonuses and good cash back instead of this flashy new “apple” credit card. Oh well. At this point (I’m 30) I think I will be retired before he is. We are already in the partially retired situation since we can afford for DH to be a stay at home dad.

I previously had a boss who once came out with the following gem...

"It's simply not possible to take the family on holiday to South Africa for less than $100,000."

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1559 on: September 24, 2019, 01:36:04 AM »
Ouch. For just one person, I could pretty easily come up the points for a round trip first class ticket to London with probably just a couple credit card sign ups.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #1560 on: September 24, 2019, 12:16:46 PM »
Ouch. For just one person, I could pretty easily come up the points for a round trip first class ticket to London with probably just a couple credit card sign ups.
Good luck finding availability. (Even then, how many options are there for real first class between London and the USA? BA is probably the only direct one with a first class cabin and their first class is barely worth of being called such.)

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1561 on: September 24, 2019, 02:15:39 PM »
Good luck finding availability. (Even then, how many options are there for real first class between London and the USA? BA is probably the only direct one with a first class cabin and their first class is barely worth of being called such.)
I dunno, a friend of mine's 16 yo daughter did a summer camp/ program at Oxford a few years ago.  She flew there first class.  I saw the pictures.  Man.  Like a little cubby with a bed in it.  Couldn't quite believe it.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1562 on: September 24, 2019, 03:55:43 PM »
True, many airlines have gotten rid of first class by now. The business class options now are like what first class was back in the day. So I don't really see the need for "real" first class. In long haul business class you still get the lie flat seats, and many planes now have very private pods in business.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1563 on: September 24, 2019, 04:24:09 PM »
Kitsune, what a great story!  You guys know what's important.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1564 on: September 24, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »
I dunno, a friend of mine's 16 yo daughter did a summer camp/ program at Oxford a few years ago.  She flew there first class.  I saw the pictures.  Man.  Like a little cubby with a bed in it.  Couldn't quite believe it.

thats kinda what business class is like now on a few airlines. My mate flew a business class and she got a little private room and a private hot shower. It was super fancy

AMandM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1565 on: September 25, 2019, 06:53:33 AM »

My SIL's first baby was a very difficult delivery, compounded by insurance refusing to cover the hospital for a 2nd day of recovery ordered by the doctor. When she and her husband arrived home with their newborn, exhausted and frustrated, they discovered that in the 24 hours they'd been gone, the dog had developed a GI infection, leaving vomit and diarrhoea everywhere, and the sewer had backed up into their only bathroom.

I don't know exactly what romantic words were said, but twenty-five years later they are still happily married.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1566 on: September 25, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »

My SIL's first baby was a very difficult delivery, compounded by insurance refusing to cover the hospital for a 2nd day of recovery ordered by the doctor. When she and her husband arrived home with their newborn, exhausted and frustrated, they discovered that in the 24 hours they'd been gone, the dog had developed a GI infection, leaving vomit and diarrhoea everywhere, and the sewer had backed up into their only bathroom.

I don't know exactly what romantic words were said, but twenty-five years later they are still happily married.
This clip from Yours, Mine, and Ours (the original) holds a special place in my heart.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1567 on: September 25, 2019, 09:39:56 AM »

thats kinda what business class is like now on a few airlines. My mate flew a business class and she got a little private room and a private hot shower. It was super fancy
That is because business class is where the airlines make money. After all it's generally paid for by businesses, the people using it aren't price sensitive.

You need three tourists to make up for one business guy, so they are stored like canned sardines.
On the other end you cannot demand that much more for first class then the (relativly) overpriced business class, but you need even more space.
Old wisdom is that if airlines could fill the planes with just business class, they would do it.
I guess they started now by doing away the first class and charging business first class rates ;)

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #1568 on: September 25, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
d three tourists to make up for one business guy, so they are stored like canned sardines.
On the other end you cannot demand that much more for first class then the (relativly) overpriced business class, but you need even more space.
Old wisdom is that if airlines could fill the planes with just business class, they would do it.
I guess they started now by doing away the first class and charging business first class rates ;)
It started with beds in first, wide seats in business, and small seats in economy.
Now you have (admittedly narrow/constricted) beds in business, wide seats in Premium Economy, and small seats in economy.

But first does still distinguish itself by having real beds (as opposed to having your fee/legs stuck in a narrow hole), more space to move around, and of course better food and service (at least on the premium airlines - United first meanwhile was often quite dire).

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1569 on: September 25, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »

This clip from Yours, Mine, and Ours (the original) holds a special place in my heart.

Love that movie.

ice_beard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1570 on: September 26, 2019, 06:15:42 PM »
To get back on topic:

"I'm investing big in McDonald's!"
-"why?"
"Because when the economy is down, everybody gets MacDonald's because it's cheap, and when the economy is up, everybody gets MacDonald's because they're too busy to cook!"

yup. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-how-all-the-dividend-aristocrat-stocks-have-performed-this-year-2019-07-25

They're investing in something solid... Just not for the right reasons

I really don’t know if McDonald’s can compete going forward.  They’ve tried so hard for so long to increase their perception of quality and to get people to move up from the languishing dollar menu.  But why on earth would I want to spend day $4 on a Big Mac when I can get an in n out double double for $3.45?  The only thing they have going for them is essentially a loss leader
I don't eat at McDonald's if I can help it, but I own some stock, their stock price has more than doubled in the last 5 years.

My money's on Chick-fil-A

Actually my money is in vtsax, and Chick-fil-A is private, but my metaphorical money would be on them

They've got it down to a science

Not really.  They just brine their chicken in pickle juice.  Try it some time. 

Unbeknownst to me until somewhat recently....  My wifes grandma gifted her shares of McDonalds for a graduation present in the early 00s.  She casually mentioned this to me one of the times I was trying to get her to pay attention to our finances.  We found the online account.  It was not a huge gift, but it has certainly grown over the past twenty years. 

In n Out is only in 2 western states vs. a global restaurant.  Around the world, in most places, McDs is still seen as a unique treat vs here in North America, where it's just another fast food joint in a large pool of FF joints. 

ice_beard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1571 on: September 26, 2019, 10:12:21 PM »
I work in a hospital and on some "pay day" Friday nights, an absurd amount of staff call off work.  Nurses, nurses assistants, respiratory therapists, etc. 

Even when I was a teenager and got paid on Fridays, I never had to call off work so I could spend that money the day I got it.  I don't get it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1572 on: September 26, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »

"It's simply not possible to take the family on holiday to South Africa for less than $100,000."
Er, maybe he meant SA Rand. 100,000 ZAR is worth about 6,654 USD. Now that would be more like it, lol.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #1574 on: September 27, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »
In n Out is only in 2 western states vs. a global restaurant.  Around the world, in most places, McDs is still seen as a unique treat vs here in North America, where it's just another fast food joint in a large pool of FF joints.
U wot? Citation needed...

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1575 on: September 27, 2019, 02:46:46 PM »
I've had McD's in a few other countries, and I can unequivocally state that the food is better in foreign McD's.  When I was in Russia, it was indeed a nicer place to eat--clean, well-lit, modern, and it tasted quite good.

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #1576 on: September 27, 2019, 02:56:25 PM »
I went to McDonalds more during the 2 weeks I was in Guatemala last summer than I have in the US over the past 10 years. The food was better than here, and more importantly, it was the most reliable place to find a clean bathroom and/or wifi, especially when traveling outside of Guatemala City.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1577 on: September 27, 2019, 03:38:25 PM »
I've had McD's in a few other countries, and I can unequivocally state that the food is better in foreign McD's.  When I was in Russia, it was indeed a nicer place to eat--clean, well-lit, modern, and it tasted quite good.

McDonald's in Italy were nicer too. And it was a treat when I lived there.

Siebrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1578 on: September 28, 2019, 05:44:13 AM »
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that if something is called '100%beef' it actually has to contain 100% beef? In the US I seem to remember it only has to contain 70% (?) beef to be labelled 100%.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1579 on: September 28, 2019, 07:29:48 AM »
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that if something is called '100%beef' it actually has to contain 100% beef? In the US I seem to remember it only has to contain 70% (?) beef to be labelled 100%.
It’s all beef, just not all lean.  It can contain up to 30% fat. You really don’t want a burger made with 100% lean as it would be incredibly dry.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #1580 on: September 28, 2019, 01:27:13 PM »
Well sure, but I'm scepticals that the locals in Italy would consider it a treat, there's much better food to be had there after all.

Same with literally any other country I know of. Except China, american fast food in China has a kind of special position.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1581 on: September 29, 2019, 01:12:06 AM »
McD's not considered a treat in the UK or any of Europe I've been to. They were maybe 30 years ago. I mean kids think of McD's as a treat if they don't go there all the time, but not because it's amazing cuisine, but because there are plastic toys and play areas.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
« Reply #1582 on: September 30, 2019, 08:18:56 AM »
McD's not considered a treat in the UK or any of Europe I've been to. They were maybe 30 years ago. I mean kids think of McD's as a treat if they don't go there all the time, but not because it's amazing cuisine, but because there are plastic toys and play areas.

I think it's probably the novelty of it. I was in Moscow just after their first McDeathwish opened. Keep in mind this was before the Yeltsin administration so the Soviet planned economy was still in the process of failing to scale well. The line was around the city block. We didn't try to go in, but we debated why it would be such an attraction. We settled on a few key points: novelty, predictability (something many Muscovite restaurants had a problem with because supply issues meant they frequently ran out of food, whereas McDeathwish had its independent supply line because it was a franchise), a minor sense of rebellion in the form of embracing an obvious capitalist icon, and some quality control in the food safety which is something that can only be appreciated if you've seen raw meat for sale in an open-air market (no packaging whatsoever... planned economy strikes again).

Obviously Italy doesn't have the planned economy problems that the former Soviet Union did, so it must be a combination of the novelty and the tourists from the other side of the Atlantic.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1583 on: September 30, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »
Well sure, but I'm scepticals that the locals in Italy would consider it a treat, there's much better food to be had there after all.

Same with literally any other country I know of. Except China, american fast food in China has a kind of special position.

I made a mistake - we (my American friends) thought it was a treat b/c we were living in Italy and homesick to varying degrees. The McDonald's nearest us was usually busy just like here in the states. This was the early 1990s.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1584 on: September 30, 2019, 09:34:36 AM »
My Italian friends appreciated a good burger and introduced me to a great Mom 'n Pop place with a view of the bay. It was more of a sit down and wait kind of restaurant.

McDonald's in Italy was more upscale than the states at the time. Was more like a Starbucks than the kid themed, plastic furniture, clown mascot, 2 cent toy in your Happy Meal kind of place.

AerynLee

• Bristles
« Reply #1585 on: October 01, 2019, 11:27:07 AM »
Not overheard at my work, but from two gas station employees talking:

E1: T-shirts are like $23. No one makes $23 an hour
E2: Maybe software engineers
E1: I can't even afford thrift store shirt prices

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1586 on: October 01, 2019, 11:32:37 AM »

I shook my head on every line of this dialog. By the end I was LOLing.

bluebelle

• Bristles
« Reply #1587 on: October 01, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »

I shook my head on every line of this dialog. By the end I was LOLing.
I think there's a tenancy to think everyone is 'just like me'.....but it's sad that they think software engineers make less than $50K a year. 

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1588 on: October 01, 2019, 01:27:04 PM »

It's been a while since I've heard a conversation where every single line was totally and completely wrong.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1589 on: October 01, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
My Italian friends appreciated a good burger and introduced me to a great Mom 'n Pop place with a view of the bay. It was more of a sit down and wait kind of restaurant.

McDonald's in Italy was more upscale than the states at the time. Was more like a Starbucks than the kid themed, plastic furniture, clown mascot, 2 cent toy in your Happy Meal kind of place.

It's still like that here in Italy.  I've only been to McDonalds maybe 3 times with the kids since I've lived here in Italy but each time the place has been packed with well dressed Italians for a family meal out.  I think it's a combination of the fact that the McDonaldses here are nicer than in the US (cleaner and often in historic buildings) and the fact that people have a lot less disposable income here as a rule due to low salaries so eating out is always a treat.  My Italian friends were kind of surprised that I had a negative view of McDonalds.  Fast food isn't a big thing here so McD's is pretty much your only option of that's what you want.

Jouer

• Bristles
« Reply #1590 on: October 01, 2019, 02:04:09 PM »
Re: McD's in Europe:

They were everywhere in eastern europe when I visited last month. I grabbed a late-night drunken Big Mac in Salzburg one night b/c there was nothing else open.

Keeping with stereotypes, the only others in there at that hour besides us (drunk Canadians) were drunk Aussies.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #1591 on: October 01, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »
In France I went once with a friend because it was the only place you could get a cup of coffee. Any cafe where you ordered a coffee would serve an espresso.

bluebelle

• Bristles
« Reply #1592 on: October 01, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »

They were everywhere in eastern europe when I visited last month. I grabbed a late-night drunken Big Mac in Salzburg one night b/c there was nothing else open.

Keeping with stereotypes, the only others in there at that hour besides us (drunk Canadians) were drunk Aussies.
drunk Canadians and dunk Aussies - now THAT sounds like a party!   

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1593 on: October 01, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »
In France I went once with a friend because it was the only place you could get a cup of coffee. Any cafe where you ordered a coffee would serve an espresso.

You don’t like americano?

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1594 on: October 01, 2019, 04:49:27 PM »

You don’t like americano?

Yeah, when I was living in France and my parents came to visit me is when I discovered the Americano. It was the only coffee at a cafe they could handle. It worked just fine for them, though.

Gremlin

• Stubble
« Reply #1595 on: October 01, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »

Er, maybe he meant SA Rand. 100,000 ZAR is worth about 6,654 USD. Now that would be more like it, lol.
Whilst that does sound more reasonable, I can definitely confirm that wasn't the case...

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1596 on: October 01, 2019, 08:51:02 PM »

drunk Canadians and dunk Aussies - now THAT sounds like a party!

Add in a few drunk South Africans and you have yourself a base metal mine! They all drink way too much, I couldn't keep up.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1597 on: October 02, 2019, 09:21:48 AM »
I work in a hospital and on some "pay day" Friday nights, an absurd amount of staff call off work.  Nurses, nurses assistants, respiratory therapists, etc. 

Even when I was a teenager and got paid on Fridays, I never had to call off work so I could spend that money the day I got it.  I don't get it.

We work a 5-4-9 schedule where we're off every other Friday.  TPTB discovered years ago that making payday the Thursday before the off-Friday was a great way to prevent this.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1598 on: October 02, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »

There is an easy solution to this: Kick out one of them and let the gas station be run by only the remaining one, like it is done here everywhere.
Than the other could earn double the salary... well, actually not, because of capitalism. He would likely earn less since there is now one more worker waiting to take his job.

But going away from the propaganda: What would happen if you told those two guys that in the not so distant past poor people did not worry one inch over T-Shirt prices, because all they could ever hope to have was 2 sets of work clothes covered with patches and one good set for sundays?

Clothing has become so rediculously cheap (and admittely often of the equivalent quality) they should never be on your list of worries. Not because of the price. Shoes that fit my feet - now that is a different topic :(

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1599 on: October 02, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »

We work a 5-4-9 schedule where we're off every other Friday.  TPTB discovered years ago that making payday the Thursday before the off-Friday was a great way to prevent this.

Some jobs ago I had co-workers who often called us in for a payday visit to the pub, each month again. Of course, I never saw the point of spending your payday the first day in the pub. In the further past this happened regularly, working men spending their paycheck in the pub, leaving their wife and children without income.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:18:49 AM by Linea_Norway »