Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 335313 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #900 on: June 07, 2019, 01:51:40 PM »
From my employers perspective: the watch (which they paid for) is great for notifying you when you have a meeting. Which can save time and thus money across the company, since at least I am more punctual for meetings. But I don't use it for anything else. $300 to save hours of other people's time is probably a good expense (average 3 minutes wasted by people being late for meetings, x 3 meetings per week, x 45 weeks x people's income = a lot of money).

They're also quite good for letting you know what time it is. Like a watch.

Yeah my problem with smart watches is most use cases donít really apply to me, being retired.  Itís great to quickly check which of the 60 emails you receive hourly is important, upcoming meetings, etc.  of course at this point in my life Iím trying to check email less often.

The ability to get silent notifications is much more effective on your wrist than in your pocket or purse.  It might be more popular with women for this reason.  My wife either has to have a loud phone alert or has to occasionally check he messages.  She misses a lot of calls

I can understand the heart rate monitor if you are doing interval training.

The coolest feature IMO is using the watch as a remote shutter/viewer for the phone.  Not worth a few hundred bucks though.

Most intriguing feature I noticed was that it will show you driving instructions, which doesnít seem better to me personally but I guess some people prefer it.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:53:26 PM by dragoncar »

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #901 on: June 07, 2019, 03:04:00 PM »
Not antimustachian, but it happened at work today and it was funny!

I work for a large financial services company that allows you to nickname your personal accounts online, and I have nicknames for each acct. 

I had a large check I needed to deposit today, and I was pleased to discover there was an employee services branch right on campus.  I made an appointment with the employee advisor and went to deposit my check earlier today.  The advisor asked me which account to deposit it to, and I said, the account with $XXX amount in it.  He looks at me with a smirk on his face, and asks, the one called ďHubby's name and your name FU fund?Ē  I burst out laughing and told him - I didnít know you could see my nicknames!  He laughed and said, weíll just assume that FU means follow up.  :)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #902 on: June 07, 2019, 04:31:59 PM »
Hunny156:
I was always confused about our business developer (salesperson)who would issue updates that included xxx plant FU (FollowUp). 
I ALWAYS read it as FU, which is exactly NOT the intent of the sales person.

This is a upcoming FU money thread story!  I can feel it...... :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #903 on: June 08, 2019, 04:54:47 AM »

I eat out waaaay less now that I can afford to live on my own. If my roommate was in the shower I could go to the gym, but if my roommate was in the kitchen I had to go eat out.

@kelvin ,

"Had to"?????

"Had to"????

Couldn't wait a bit?   Couldn't work around them?   Couldn't work out a schedule that worked for both of you?

Would have literally starved to death if you didn't rush to the restaurant right then and there?

Between school/work, I was pulling 18 hr days at the time. I did pass out in public a few times, due to lack of food. There were some pretty nasty health effects. 

There was a lot of ramen noodles and oatmeal, so I could limit the eating out. Still spent waaaaay more on food than I do now.

The point was that food budgeting is much easier when you have regular access to a proper kitchen. Something most middle-class folk take for granted.

You should preferably carry some bars or nuts with you (and have in your desk at work), to eat when you are hungry and can't make a proper meal yet.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #904 on: June 08, 2019, 11:44:46 AM »
From my employers perspective: the watch (which they paid for) is great for notifying you when you have a meeting. Which can save time and thus money across the company, since at least I am more punctual for meetings. But I don't use it for anything else. $300 to save hours of other people's time is probably a good expense (average 3 minutes wasted by people being late for meetings, x 3 meetings per week, x 45 weeks x people's income = a lot of money).

Yeah my problem with smart watches is most use cases donít really apply to me, being retired.  Itís great to quickly check which of the 60 emails you receive hourly is important, upcoming meetings, etc.  of course at this point in my life Iím trying to check email less often.

The ability to get silent notifications is much more effective on your wrist than in your pocket or purse.  It might be more popular with women for this reason.  My wife either has to have a loud phone alert or has to occasionally check he messages.  She misses a lot of calls

The coolest feature IMO is using the watch as a remote shutter/viewer for the phone.  Not worth a few hundred bucks though.

Most intriguing feature I noticed was that it will show you driving instructions, which doesnít seem better to me personally but I guess some people prefer it.

My new $30 smartwatch does call/text notification, counts steps, heartrate, sleep cycle - and some other stuff I don't recall.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #905 on: June 08, 2019, 11:47:19 AM »
One of my co-workers:

"Yeah, with our oldest entering pre-K, we are excited to be coming to the end of a period when we're spending massive amounts of money on childcare...and we are starting to notice some really nice houses for sale..."

All the parents in the room:  "Aww....that's so cute that you think you're about to have a bunch of extra cash....."

Yeah... aftercare, field trips, fundraisers all the time, club fees, etc. Now that it's summer, full-day camp.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #906 on: June 08, 2019, 01:45:12 PM »

My new $30 smartwatch does call/text notification, counts steps, heartrate, sleep cycle - and some other stuff I don't recall.

My DH bought a second hand advanced watch with heart rate monitor. He has problems with his heart rate and it is nice to be able to keep and eye on it without using his normal heart rate monitor with breast belt. He uses it as an alarm clock as well, but he has turned off the synchronization with his phone. This way, the battery lasts longer. So, no email, sms and phone calls on his watch.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #907 on: June 10, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
FYI,
 i know someone who thought they were having heart attack bc one of those monitors was showing crazy results. 
went to hospital in ambulance,  no probs w heart at all

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #908 on: June 10, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
FYI,
 i know someone who thought they were having heart attack bc one of those monitors was showing crazy results. 
went to hospital in ambulance,  no probs w heart at all
Reminds of that study where yearly medical checkups (prior to the usual age where checkups are actually beneficial, i.e. before 50) were found to be... great for the doctors, who got extra business doing extra unnecessary work and not so great for the patients who ended up having more unnecessary operations/medication/etc.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #909 on: June 10, 2019, 10:48:03 AM »
ďDoctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothingĒ voltaire

Montecarlo

• Bristles
« Reply #910 on: June 10, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »
ďDoctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothingĒ voltaire

I think medicine has come a long ways since Voltaire.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #911 on: June 10, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »

I'll have pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #912 on: June 10, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »

Always double down on eleven

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #913 on: June 11, 2019, 01:06:37 AM »

Always double down on eleven

Money

malachite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #914 on: June 12, 2019, 11:13:41 AM »
Hello, a longtime lurker here.  I had to create an account just to post this. (It isn't exactly from work - but I think it fits the category)

DW and I were walking around the neighborhood last night. A house down the street has a shiny new Jeep SUV parked in front of it. Two ladies walk out of the house:
Lady #1 - "Is that your new Jeep?"
Lady #2 - "Yes, and I got it on a lease, so soon I won't have a car payment."

I was already chuckling internally at the thought of people buying a new Jeep SUV, but then they had to throw the comment about it being a 'leased new Jeep SUV'. Never mind the logic where a lease payment apparently doesn't count as a car payment? I was struggling so hard to hold in comment until we had walked past that I was surprised when my wife actually bursting out laughing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #915 on: June 12, 2019, 11:15:35 AM »
Hello, a longtime lurker here.  I had to create an account just to post this. (It isn't exactly from work - but I think it fits the category)

DW and I were walking around the neighborhood last night. A house down the street has a shiny new Jeep SUV parked in front of it. Two ladies walk out of the house:

I was already chuckling internally at the thought of people buying a new Jeep SUV, but then they had to throw the comment about it being a 'leased new Jeep SUV'. Never mind the logic where a lease payment apparently doesn't count as a car payment? I was struggling so hard to hold in comment until we had walked past that I was surprised when my wife actually bursting out laughing.

Welcome to the forum. Nice story. People are idiots.

jps

• Stubble
« Reply #916 on: June 12, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »

I have no idea what this even means? Like, in the 3 years when her lease is up, she won't have a car payment? Or maybe she just views leasing a car as renting and so she will just have a "car rental payment" and not a "car payment" :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #917 on: June 12, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »

I have no idea what this even means? Like, in the 3 years when her lease is up, she won't have a car payment? Or maybe she just views leasing a car as renting and so she will just have a "car rental payment" and not a "car payment" :)

I think she probably meant she didnít have a car loan

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #918 on: June 12, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »

She probably had a car loan for her previous car. But is now selling it and paying off the loan. And gets a lease contract instead.
I think she probably meant she didn’t have a car loan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:49:56 AM by Linea_Norway »

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #919 on: June 13, 2019, 03:03:36 AM »
Wow, the only worse thing they could do than taking out a loan for a car is private lease - they will pay almost the same monthly amount and won't even have an asset at the end of the road.

Company leased cars can be something that makes sense from a financial perspective, at least in my country those are usually heavily sponsored by the employer, while refusing a leased car when your position would allow you to get one usually doesn't lead to a higher salary to compensate.

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #920 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:51 AM »

Welcome to the forum. Nice story. People are idiots.

Well yes, in three years you won't have a car payment, because you won't have a car.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #921 on: June 17, 2019, 09:54:49 AM »
Still money floating out of the monthly budget!

Oh silly me, a budget? People like that don't have budgets do they? /s

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #922 on: June 17, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
Still money floating out of the monthly budget!

Oh silly me, a budget? People like that don't have budgets do they? /s

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:14:20 AM by dragoncar »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #923 on: June 17, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
Well, in fairness we donít have a budget. We scoop off as much off the top as we want into our investment accounts first and then spend whatever ends up hitting the checking account after. If we have extra left over then that periodically gets moved over to investments also.

But we have the luxury of plenty of wiggle room between incoming and outgoing. If that werenít the case then we would be tracking spending more closely.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #924 on: June 17, 2019, 02:02:26 PM »
Well, in fairness we donít have a budget. We scoop off as much off the top as we want into our investment accounts first and then spend whatever ends up hitting the checking account after. If we have extra left over then that periodically gets moved over to investments also.

But we have the luxury of plenty of wiggle room between incoming and outgoing. If that werenít the case then we would be tracking spending more closely.

@ysette9,  Well said!   Much less bother to do it this way.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #925 on: June 18, 2019, 07:33:06 AM »

We do something similar. Lots left over to save/invest each month b/c we don't do thinks like buy yachts and rides on rocketships. ;)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #926 on: June 19, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »

I tried budgeting.  It didn't work for me at all.  A frugal mindset and mindful spending works much better in my case.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #927 on: June 19, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
We pay wages once a month and one coworker was really happy they'd get paid this Friday instead of next Monday, because 'this time of the month our account is always completely empty, it's all gone'. They didn't tell it as a joke. Coworker was wearing name brand clothes and just last week told all about their upcoming 3 week holiday. I'm always lost for words whenever well paid intelligent people say those kind of things.

dcheesi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #928 on: June 19, 2019, 12:43:06 PM »
We pay wages once a month and one coworker was really happy they'd get paid this Friday instead of next Monday, because 'this time of the month our account is always completely empty, it's all gone'. They didn't tell it as a joke. Coworker was wearing name brand clothes and just last week told all about their upcoming 3 week holiday. I'm always lost for words whenever well paid intelligent people say those kind of things.
Maybe that's their "fun money" account, after their savings and investment accounts have already been fully funded?

...Yeah, I know, but a guy can dream, right? ;)

martyconlonontherun

• Stubble
« Reply #929 on: June 19, 2019, 02:16:44 PM »

I tried budgeting.  It didn't work for me at all.  A frugal mindset and mindful spending works much better in my case.

Yeah, I found when you focus on a monthly budget, it prevents you from being opportunistic.I will prepay for things for credit cards, stock up on good deals, or jump at great value items. Everything is based on the decision of: Am i getting the most value for my money.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #930 on: June 19, 2019, 02:26:45 PM »
Maybe that's their "fun money" account, after their savings and investment accounts have already been fully funded?

...Yeah, I know, but a guy can dream, right? ;)

It could technically mean that yes ;-) I mean my account only has like Ä80 in it right now - I put everything in savings / investments except for Ä100 spending money. But somehow I have a gut feeling that 'totally empty' means exactly that...

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #931 on: June 19, 2019, 02:33:29 PM »

Yeah, I found when you focus on a monthly budget, it prevents you from being opportunistic.I will prepay for things for credit cards, stock up on good deals, or jump at great value items. Everything is based on the decision of: Am i getting the most value for my money.

That's why we tracking monthly averages instead of adhering to a monthly budget.  It gets us the info to keep spending in check, but also let's us take advantage of those opportunities.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #932 on: June 20, 2019, 07:29:04 AM »

That's why we tracking monthly averages instead of adhering to a monthly budget.  It gets us the info to keep spending in check, but also let's us take advantage of those opportunities.

Same. We 'budget' in the vague sense and adjust A LOT based on how things go, but we do find it really helpful to look at a monthly average and be like 'do I feel like I'm getting value for this amount?' because sometimes individual purchases seem justifiable or sensible but the total amount is just... no, we gotta approach this differently.

This especially applies if the people in the relationship are not quite on the same page re: spending and saving. My husband is more along the lines of 'we have the money, this is a good deal, let's', and 3 months of 'this is how much we've spent on house maintenance, is this worth it' can be a really good reality check.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #933 on: June 20, 2019, 07:57:49 AM »

That's why we do the rolling budget on mint, it helps us stay in check as far as being able to get good deals while still being mindful of the overall amounts we are spending.

Same. We 'budget' in the vague sense and adjust A LOT based on how things go, but we do find it really helpful to look at a monthly average and be like 'do I feel like I'm getting value for this amount?' because sometimes individual purchases seem justifiable or sensible but the total amount is just... no, we gotta approach this differently.

This especially applies if the people in the relationship are not quite on the same page re: spending and saving. My husband is more along the lines of 'we have the money, this is a good deal, let's', and 3 months of 'this is how much we've spent on house maintenance, is this worth it' can be a really good reality check.

techwiz

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #934 on: June 21, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
Co-worker and I were talking about BBQ season and his new grill he bought last year.
Co-worker: "I have the Green egg and just love it"
me: "I heard of them they are quite expensive like a thousand bucks ,but hear that they are great."
Co-worker: "Try over 3 thousand!"
Me: "WTF!"
Co-worker: "I bought it on a payment plan so it was like only $150 a month for two years"

The conversation went on for a while and after I got over the sticker shock of the Green egg, he did convince me it is a great piece of engineering. He went on to tell me about his other cooking tools like his gas grill, and (water cooking) Sous Vide system. He seems to really enjoy cooking so I can't blame him for spending his money on his passion...

I have had my same gas BBQ for 19 years, no way am I planning on buying a $3000 Green egg. The Sous Vide system did sound cool, I could see getting one of those and using it and finishing the on my old grill for prefect cooking.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #935 on: June 21, 2019, 12:57:56 PM »
I was in a wedding party and felt bummed I had to skip out on the bachelor party, because we had a big deadline that very weekend. I mentioned to a supervisor that I was thinking of just flying out for a day and catching a redeye back, but decided not to.

"You must be richer than me," she said - 60-years-old and making 2x my pay.

Yeah, maybe, I thought, but didn't say anything.

In a separate conversation I mentioned that another couple I know had a costume party for their wedding. They were married in traditional attire, but emerged at the party like Belle and The Prince. My wife and I managed to get free YoGabbaGabba costumes that were so awesome people thought we were professionals hired with the entertainment.

This manager? She said she'd consider not being friends with people who'd have a costume party.

Geez, lady, (A) lighten up, and (B) keep your comments to yourself.

Swish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #936 on: June 21, 2019, 01:34:43 PM »
"so you just use your student loan deposits to show you have a steady income. That's how I qualified to get my car in college"

techwiz

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #937 on: June 21, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »
"so you just use your student loan deposits to show you have a steady income. That's how I qualified to get my car in college"

Wow! Stack up your debts using a lower interest rate loan to qualify you for the higher interest rate one. Great way to accelerate your debt load! 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #938 on: June 21, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »

Wow! Stack up your debts using a lower interest rate loan to qualify you for the higher interest rate one. Great way to accelerate your debt load!

It's a debt snowball! The Antiramsey.

Yanisimo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #939 on: June 21, 2019, 02:50:50 PM »
My boss and I were talking about retirement the other day. I know he has a financial advisor because he tried to get me to hire the same guy he uses when I started working. Our conversation:

Me: Do you know how much your financial advisor charges you?
Him: I honestly have no idea. He just deducts the charges from my brokerage account....I check the fees at the end of the year, but I don't know what the % is.
Me: You don't have a ballpark estimate on what he charges you? What do you think would be a fair management fee for him to charge you?
Him: I don't know...5%? That's fair right?
Me:...*goes back to work*

jps

• Stubble
« Reply #940 on: June 21, 2019, 02:59:02 PM »
My boss and I were talking about retirement the other day. I know he has a financial advisor because he tried to get me to hire the same guy he uses when I started working. Our conversation:

Him: I honestly have no idea. He just deducts the charges from my brokerage account....I check the fees at the end of the year, but I don't know what the % is.
Me: You don't have a ballpark estimate on what he charges you? What do you think would be a fair management fee for him to charge you?

That's when you jump in and offer to cut his fees IN HALF by managing them for only 2.5% :) You'd be a hero.

Swish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #941 on: June 21, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »

It's a debt snowball! The Antiramsey.

Race to the bottom I guess. lol I love that the "Antiramsey" I will attempt to fit that into a conversation this week.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #942 on: June 21, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »
A couple days ago DW's coworker asked DW to accompany her to get a tattoo after work, to which she declined. When DW went to work the next day she found out the tattoo was of coworker's new BF's name, of which she's been dating about a month. This coworker has a history of remarkably bad life decisions, so while I'm not surprised, it still makes my head spin.

Quick update - the boyfriend has now decided they need to take a break. Quite the predictable outcome..

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #943 on: June 21, 2019, 10:26:12 PM »
A couple days ago DW's coworker asked DW to accompany her to get a tattoo after work, to which she declined. When DW went to work the next day she found out the tattoo was of coworker's new BF's name, of which she's been dating about a month. This coworker has a history of remarkably bad life decisions, so while I'm not surprised, it still makes my head spin.

Quick update - the boyfriend has now decided they need to take a break. Quite the predictable outcome..

Reading this made my brain hurt.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #944 on: June 22, 2019, 01:12:08 AM »

That's when you jump in and offer to cut his fees IN HALF by managing them for only 2.5% :) You'd be a hero.

No, itís ...5% so thatís like a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #945 on: June 22, 2019, 01:15:49 AM »

Reading this made my brain hurt.

Now her possible number of new boyfriends has been reduced to the men with the same name. Let's hope it was a common name.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #946 on: June 22, 2019, 05:40:56 AM »

[/quote

I guess this is the new version of knitting the boyfriend a sweater?

fuzzy math

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #947 on: June 22, 2019, 07:51:42 AM »
I was in a wedding party and felt bummed I had to skip out on the bachelor party, because we had a big deadline that very weekend. I mentioned to a supervisor that I was thinking of just flying out for a day and catching a redeye back, but decided not to.

"You must be richer than me," she said - 60-years-old and making 2x my pay.

Yeah, maybe, I thought, but didn't say anything.

Omg I have 3  60(something)-yr-old  coworkers. They all make more than me. The one who makes the most complains the most about how under paid she is. We all do exactly the same job. It drives me up the wall... Not sure what it is about that age. Ppl seem to lose it if they're still working,

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #948 on: June 22, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »

I'm pretty sure that having your significant other's name tattooed on your body automatically dooms the relationship. It may be a universal law.

Can she at least pull a Johnny Depp and have it changed to something else, like when he changed his "Winona Forever" tattoo to "Wino Forever" after he and Ms. Ryder inevitably split?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #949 on: June 22, 2019, 07:11:05 PM »

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that having your significant other's name tattooed on your body automatically dooms the relationship. It may be a universal law.

[/quote]
Completely agree. Please raise your hand if anyone was surprised how this story turned out.